Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,364
    Your dealer should have given you....

--2 "master" keys with 2 remotes
    --1 valet key

It sounds like they owe you another master key and another remote.
  • Thanks, thats what I was thinking.
  • I found a Mazda dealer who has a website that lists the recalls/bulletins for the RX8.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/rx8/docs/index.html
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Sorry to chime in but:

The Mini has had quality problems since inception, per CR. None that I know of regarding the RX8 (you guys would probably know more about this than me).

I know this is being brought up as an alternative, but personally, I do not think the Mini S(even with the John Cooper Works add-on) can hold a candle to the RX8's driving dynamics. RX8 is one of the few cars under $50K that balances neutral and communicative handling and a comfortable ride.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Posts: 218
    Just for the record, I only brought up the MINI idea because a pretty blonde suggested it as ride, mostly because it's cute!.....if you were stuck 4 days out of 5 in bumper to bumper, going to AND from work, would ya rather be in ugly or cute car?....personally, I think my RX8 is damn cute...not as cute as the blonde, but cute! some people think the MINI is cute...and it is when compared to some other cars out there....sometimes it's not about performance...I am sure you all can remember some car you thought was cute and bought it knowing it only had a few hamsters on treadmills in the engine bay!.....heck, look at the original bug!....still going strong and not what you would call a "racer".....lol!....

anyhoo, I will stick with my RX8 being the cutest!
    That's the exact ownership experience my colleague has had regarding his MINI. His is the "S" model. While it's smaller and weighs less than my RX8, I don't give up any handling capabilities to his MINI on the road.

As small as it is, with the SC engine, it isn't remotely as quick as the RX8 is, nor as comfortable.

On a closed track, There may be a slight difference.

His big beef has been mostly build quality issues, which is surprising to me considering it's built by BMW. Knobs and trim just fall off. It rattles like a snake. There isn't nearly the solid feel with the MINI as the RX8 imparts. It reminds me of the build of the 350Z/G35c in some ways.

Plus, he says the BMW techs are snobish about his issues....like they are to be expected.

Could be his dealer or just his car. I think it's both.

Fact is, he waited a long, long time for a new MINI and probably should have looked at other cars outside of the MINI before making his purchase.
    So, I am talking to a kid in my apt complex who also has an RX8...I can say kid cause he is 22 and, well, I am not!....anyhoo, he tells me that his dealer told him about the "Upcoming 2005 Mazda Miata Rotary Engine Sport Coupe" that he should tell his sister about.....where do rumors like this start?....he tells me the dealer told him it was going to have "2 or 3 rotors" in it.....ah....ummm.....why do people say things like this?.....

well....I did my best to inform him that the trade mags have said nothing of the sort and that he doesn't need to worry about it - he has Mazda's best car - an RX8!.....
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Speculation only, but there was once talk of a rotary powered Miata. The "new Miata" is supposed to be built on the RX-8 chassis ("slightly" modified). Last I heard it was to be powered by the same basic engine the current model uses.

There may be a new RX-7. Current rumour is turbo charging the renesis is not practical, so Mazda may increase the displacement (for the first time in 25 years!) or go to three rotors. Not sure if they will call it an RX-7. Pro RX-7 is the history of that model, con is maybe they want to emphasize the renesis differences and may call it an RX-9.

Current sales of the RX-8 bode well for the sevens' return!
    I think a lot of people voice what their "wish list" would be.

I can see the appeal of a rotary Miata, but I think Mazda is looking to hold the RENESIS to their top model, which today is the RX8.

RX7 would be great. I'd be more interested in seeing future RX8s (RX9s?). I'd prefer more rotors as opposed to force feeding via supercharging or turbos.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    Mazda has certainly built motors with more rotors so they know how. I believe their LeMans winning engine was a 4-rotor.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,540
    But how efficient do you think it would be with an extra rotor? Folks already complain about the mileage in the RX8. I'm sure a 15 mpg RX7 would have a tough time in the market with the current gas prices. Granted, the car should be lighter, so that will help, but by how much?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

The Japaneze Cosmo (extreme luxury car) used a three rotor engine, automatic only. It was also turbocharged, and those engines (massaged) are sometimes swapped into 3rd gen and 2nd gen RX-7s. They put out 450+ HP in massaged form, though I think stock they were 325 or so.

The Lemans winning 787 is a four rotor. They had to build a honeycomb stiffener bolted onto the oil pan flange to stiffen the engine. It would otherwise twist the housings out of line even with the extra strong dowel pins they used! For those who have never seen the engine apart, it is a sandwitch construction composed of front end plate, rotor housing, centre plate(s), rotor housing, rear end plate. Add more rotor housings and centre plates for more than two rotors. There are bolts (rods really) that hold the entire sandwitch structure together (in drawings you can see the bolt heads in the bellhousing - there are 18 bolts in the former rotary - not sure if the same number is used in the renesis). There are short hollow tubes that the bolts pass through on each of the sandwitch parts. These tubes align the parts by extending into adjacent housings. The end and centre housings are cast iron, and the rotor housings are aluminum.
    The result is there is no one really heavy part. You can easily pick up any part of a rotary engine, unlike the block of a piston engine (hernea maker). The heaviest part is the eccentric shaft, which weighs about 70 lbs.
    I could go on, but I'm probably boring people.

Oh, as for efficiency, I doubt "RX-7" (or its' functional replacement) owners would care. The object is power and speed, not efficiency. The RX-8 is the "practical car". A three rotor renesis would put out 350-375 HP. It would sound awesome at 9000 RPM!!!
    Unfortunatly, the eccentric shaft on the Cosmo engine tended to "wobble" as it wasn't properly supported in the centre. A renesis version would have to address that issue to safely attain 9000 RPM speeds. Some Cosmo engines went BOOM big time when the wobble got out of control ;-).
    Pathstar - No! No!...not boring!....I know so little...this is like going to class, except I have jazz music on and I am eating ice creme!!...wait...I did that in college too....anyhoo, so my rumor was sortof two separate things molded into one....ah...I could see where that could happen. all I know is that I parked next to a Miata the other day and got a chance to see the RX8 next to a Miata....ya gotta go with the RX8 shape, don't ya?.....maybe it's just me......and wouldn't ya think a new RX7 (RX9) would be in the curvy RX8 style too?.....

well, needless to say, I love the Mazda car and hope I have many happy years with her!!....and hope all of you do as well!!.....
    In the hardback RX8 book that came with a "pre-order" last summer, there was some interesting development info for a 3 rotor engine. They also address turbo and supercharging issues.

I'm certain production development on any of that sort of technology is "top secret" to Mazda, however. I'm betting on a new ECU along with some catalytic converter upgrades, first. Then I would predict some sort of turbo or supercharging given the high cost of making a 3 rotor RENESIS.

Personally, I think the next rotary, whether a reborn RX7 or an update to the RX8 is going to be very interesting given the success of the RENESIS. Also, the overwhelmingly positive press the RX8 has received will help to ensure an upgraded RENESIS sometime in the near future.

I still don't see a rotary going into a Miata, though.
  • jmg232jmg232 Posts: 1
    I've been reading the messages for awhile and am excitedly looking forward to getting my own RX8 soon, hopefully in about a month or two. A baby is in the future though so I'm wondering if anyone has fit two adults in front and a child safety seat in the back (both back-facing and front-facing kinds). My partner and I are both 6' so we'll need the legroom in front. Anyone have any thoughts? Recommend any particular brands/models for baby seats? We are determined to prove our minivan and station-wagon driving friends wrong and show them that a baby and a sports car are compatible!
    is excellant. At first you get a little claustrophobic because the front seatback is almost in your lap. You acually have a lot of room in the back (I'm 6' 230 lbs). Front seats have even more room. I would think a car seat should be no problem. Access is good too with the extra doors. Go to the dealer and try it out! They should have a list of recommended car seats (car dealers are into that stuff - good for sales).
    This past weekend has been one of the first truly beautiful weekends of the Spring so far this year.

Of course, with the weather being so nice, I took the opportunity to do a Zaino detail of my RX8.

I then set out for a nice long country drive.

As luck would have it, after getting about 35 miles of great driving on country roads (boy, do I like driving my RX8 with the sunroof open, windows down, blasting down country roads), I happened upon a small town that was having a concours event in an open Polo field. Of course, I had to stop and gawk. Bugattis and older Jags are true sculptures and there were plenty to look at.

As I pulled into the show and wandering around the high buck iron for a bit, I came back to my car only to see about 6-7 people hanging around my 8. The questions started....the hood went up...all 4 doors were opened...the driver's seat got some unfamiliar posteriors in it. All-in-all, I spent about 45 minutes with fellow car enthusiasts explaining the RX8 (Mazda should pay me for this). Great day!

Now, I've got to wash off all the fingerprints that my car has all over it. I'll do that today.

The drive home was even better after that experience.

Even after this car being out for close to a year, it still gathers tons of attention.
    gguy - isn't that the coolest thing?.....happened to me at my bike shop, supermarket, gas station, etc! It is one of the perks of ownership. If you don't like that, then this might not be the car for you. I've had police officers stop and ask me how it is to drive and stuff! Maybe I will start seeing the FHP drive around in these instead of those Firebirds....LOL!!....

Glad to hear you finally got a chance to take your 8 for a good spin!....keep it under 100ish....well..if ya can!!.....heehee
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm quite amazed at the attention the RX8 still gets. I've seem several on the road around my 'burg, but it still draws a crowd....even at a Concours event.

Spring/Summer/Fall were made for this car. Of course, if you live in FL, every day is a good day to drive the 8.
    I'm just happy the RX-8 came out. Now I get much less attention when I drive my 3rd Gen RX-7 with my friend's RX-8. The attention gets old after a while. "Is that a Viper?" "How big is the V8 in that thing?" "Is that turbocharged?" "How fast does that thing go?" etc. etc. I made a plasticized card with all specs. that I set on the dash when I go to car events. My voice lasts much longer now. ;-)
    I get some of the same questions...although, I don't get the Viper question. I had one person ask if my RX8 was a Ferarri.

But, yeah the questions seem to go...."how many turbos does it have" (none)..."how fast is it?" (very)..."how fast have you driven it?" (well, about 140 MPH, but I still had some RPMs left)..."how did it feel going 140 MPH?" (ummm, it felt like I was going about 60)..."does it really redline at 9K RPMs?" (yes, actually a little above that)..."what does that sound like?" (best description is it sounds like an Indy car)....and my favorite, "how many cylinders?" (none)..."what?"...(it doesn't have any cylinders)..."well, what makes it so fast?" (magic) or the other answer I like to give is (it's powered by nuclear fusion fed into a turbine).

Great idea with the spec sign in the window. That would make my trips to the grocery store take a lot less time.
  • evaddaveevaddave Posts: 156
    1.21 Giggawatts through the flux capacitor.

:)
  • blondieblondie Posts: 9
    Hey all!
    I love my black RX8! I am always getting winks and thumbs up from other drivers. Of course, being a little blonde in the black car, I get lots of attention...this car makes ANYONE look good!
    I got 2 tickets the first 10 days I owned the car.
    damn.
    I am DISAPPOINTED with the gas milage!
    Flux capacitor...I gotta remember that one!
    I like that answer....I think I'll use it......

blondie....you've got the best of both worlds...a beautiful blonde in a sinister black RX8. I'm surprized the friendly officers didn't "cut you a break" given your description. The last little blonde I had an "encounter" with drug her butt adorned with metal studded jeans across my hood (aaaahhhhhhhhhh).

If you really want sterling MPG, get a Prius. If you want the ride of your life, the RX8 is the ticket (pun intended).
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I passed 110,000 miles in my 1990 convertible. It has now been about 1k since I changed the oil and I'm happy to report that no oil has been burned. It's still reading full. I've known piston engines that burn way more oil at this mileage! Gas mileage has mostly averaged between 19-20 mpg, but my last tank was 16.6. That was very disappointing, but I guess it was caused by the combo of 100% city driving, running fuel injector cleaner, and revving the engine to 4-5k through the first 3 gears. Good thing is I have read the older rotaries prefer 87 octane so in these times of high gas prices, I can at least use the cheap stuff. It seems the injector cleaner has helped bring some power back to the engine. The car has stayed very reliable but the idle is quirky and it wont stay running when stopped if you run the AC. Other then the idle problem, this car is an absolute gem. My red RX7 is stunning with the top down and gets all sorts of attention, so I know exactly what you RX8 owners are going through :)
  • canuettecanuette Posts: 10
    Any one ever find out for sure what the "clunking"
    noise is when you first start off?
    The sound you describe is normal. It's the Anti-lock brakes calibrating themselves.
  • blondieblondie Posts: 9
    The first time I test drove the RX8, the dealer put me in a the titanium color. I put 200 miles on it and brought it back in the morning. I agreed to buy the car, but decided that I didn't want a car with 200miles. I switched to the black. Living in Florida, sometime the pollen gets a bit heavy on the car and I have to dust and wash alot, but its worth it. The black is awesome.
    Thanks for the info on the infamous "clunk". (I keep thinking I just ran over my cat when I back out of the garage).

There are some minor features that I miss in this car. Like being able to lock it while it is running and automatic headlights. I wouldn't mind playing a movie dvd in the gps dvd!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,782
    I usually don't see too many RX8s here in NYC's northern suburb of Westchester County, but I guess the bright sunshine we had for the early part of this weekend brought the beautiful rotary powered RX8s out. I saw 2 velocity red ones (the metallic flakes in the paint really sparkle in the sunlight), 1 lightning yellow (It was cool because it was yellow and it had Jersey Tags on it, they're yellow with black type-face), and a Sunlight Silver Metallic. The silver is actually my favorite color that I've seen so far (along with the black). It really accents the car's lines well. This area is poluted with silver German and Japanese marquees.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium