Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    I'm glad that you are okay and thought your experience looking for a replacement vehicle was interesting. I haven't test driven a Pontiac Vibe, but I've read several good things about it. Despite what that idiot at Toyota said, the Vibe just has a Pontiac badge on it. Everything else is Toyota. I still can't believe his comment about the Celica being a better choice than an RX-8. Was he trying to get you to leave? Great sales training. The Honda dealership is decent where I am, but I feel that you are right. If I hadn't talked with the GM, I don't know if I would have been very happy with the sales staff.

Thankfully, you were in the Civic rather than your RX-8. I saw some good news which I'll paste the link concerning the RX-8. It was the only car to score a five star on a rollover test.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/07/pf/autos/rollovers/index.htm?cnn=- yes
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    hurray for low (very low) center of gravity!
  • spsmykspsmyk Member Posts: 4
    Has Mazda announced (or are there and significant rumors) a future version of the RX-8 in a coupe or convertible?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    What I've heard is no. They have been seen testing a convertible that sort of looks like an RX-8 in the front and a Miata in the rear. It's probably the new Miata, which is based on the RX-8 chassis (that from Mazda a year or so ago). The current RX-8 chassis relies on the "hydroformed" beams over the doors for structural support. Not sure how they compensated for this in the Miata.

As for a coupe, that would be the replacement for the RX-7, which may or may not happen. We'll know for sure within two years.

Because the RX-8 is selling so well and Mazda is profitable again, there is a good chance we will see the coupe. Fingers crossed!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    pathstar...thanks for the update. Since, we've seen notihng that would lead us to believe that Mazda is planning for a 'vert, I would think they would be pleased to just let the Miata carry their "roadster" banner. I wouldn't be a customer for the RX7, but I certainly would like to see them bring one to market. I like the current 4-door, back seat + trunk set-up too much. It's a fine blend of utility and sports car...one that fits my needs perfectly.

The only thing for certain I've heard about the '05 RX8 is that they're dropping the yellow color and adding white in its place. I've also heard that the "key" will have all the remote locking buttons on it as opposed to having a separate "fob" for those functions.

Mazda's on a roll. With the eventual success of the 6 and the successful 3 rollout, combined with the good sales of the RX8, I would think that an RX7 has a reasonable chance of success if they bring it to market.

That's good to know that our cars get high ratings for safety. I wonder if my insuranc agent know that? Not that my insrance is high for the RX8, but I'm always looking for ways to save a buck. Maybe I'll give her a call and let her know that my "sports car" has a 5-star rating.

As the temps have touched the 90s around here, I'm seeing my MPG go up again. Don't know if it's the "M" reflash or just the warm weather, but I'm back up to 19 MPG in mixed driving. It had dropped to as low as 16 MPG this past winter. Like others, I've also noted that the "M" reflash smoothed out idling and boosted mid-range "punch" a bit, too. It may be time for another "unofficial" timing run to see if I can improve upon 1/4 mile times with the reflash.

It's hard to believe, but my RX8 is coming up on its first birthday in about 4 weeks.

Off topic, but the first tankful on the Vibe yielded dead on 30 MPG in mixed driving. While I doubt I'll hit the 38 MPG mark I hit with my old civic in highway driving, I should get relatively close. Not bad considering how much heavier this thing is.

While not a Consumer Reports fan, I was thumbing through one of their "special" used car reports while at Borders last night. They didn't have anything to say about the RX8 because its too new, they did have a "blurb" about the 350Z. Paraphrasing, but they said the 350Z was rode too rough, handling was limited by its weight and had subpar interior build and materials compared to the RX8. That was the only mention of the RX8 in the article.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    C&D is reporting that Mazda will introduce an electric-assist turbo for the RX-8 at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show. This should reduce turbo lag and provide more low-end power versus a conventional turbo.

Anyone have additional details, such as power and price? The sales dude at RevItUp said that the price would be mid-30s. Take it with a grain of salt, like everything else that comes out of a salesperson's mouth...
    I heard only in Japan. It's a limited production Mazdaspeed car (200 or something).
    The RevItUp sales rep said it was coming to the US...
    That's interesting regarding an electric assist turbo.

Like pathstar stated, the only turbo model I've heard about is the Mazdaspeed version and only in Japan. But, I thought even that version wasn't a "done deal".

Looking a few years into the future, I'd be more interested in a 3 rotor RX8 before I'd think about a turbo model, however.

As it stands, if Mazda brought out a turbo model, they begin the path that doomed the last RX7....that is, the cost would start to creep into Corvette territory.
    As long as they keep the price under $35K, I think they'll steer clear of competing directly with the C6 Vette (>$45K).

The current RX-8 is a good compromise for those who want both performance and practicality. A turbo RX-8 might give the 350Z and S2000 competition for pure performance buyers...
    Given that just about every professional review I've seen has preferred the RX8 over the 350Z, I'd say the RX8 already exceeds a "run for its money" type comparison.

I'm ambivalent about an RX8 turbo. Having had turbo cars in the past, I'm not so certain I'd be willing to put up with the pitfalls of turbocharging. Although, a $35K price point would be tempting (if they can bring one in at that price).

The S2000 is a different animal, though. That's a 2 seat roadster (which I'd still prefer over the 350Z roadster).

BTW....I've had occasion to shop for a 2nd car and happened into a chevy store to look at pick-ups. Lo and behold, they had about 8 new 'vettes sitting in front. All types....'verts, coupes, Z06s.

Since I qualify for GM GMS pricing via my brother-in-law, I asked what I could buy a coupe for. Depending on equipment levels, I could have bought one of about $38K with the GM discount + rebates. If I was in the market, I would have seriously considered it. Still, it's $8K more than an RX8.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    GGuy - glad to hear ya got a new ride and that you are healing! So exactly what happened in the accident? Don't answer if it was too traumatic! :-)

Well, after 12K miles I figured it was worth it to try something in my AT RX8.....So at an straight, open stretch of road, I was in 2nd gear, using the 'auto-stick' mode, at about 2K rpms and I slowly accelerated. The warning buzzer went off at 7500K and then around 8k+ rpms, just before the 9K mark the engine did something new! It didn't shift to 3rd for me, but for about 2 seconds, maybe longer, it went into a state I call 'engine limbo'. The rpms came down to about 6k, but the engine hadn't shifted yet nor did it feel like I was in control of the throttle. Kinda like a free spin feel. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe Pathstar has a better explanation. Then I shifted to 3rd , the rpms adjusted to fit and I continued. I tried this twice, same result. Maybe it's an auto-tranny condition?!? To save the car from goofy people like me?

Anyway, in order to make my day complete, I took a 25mph on-ramp at 65....sweet sweet car..... :-)
  • ffitzffitz Member Posts: 13
    Hello all. On Friday I picked up my '04 RX8; Nordic Green (it is beautiful when the sun hits it); 6 speed m/t; Grand Touring Package. I love it! Purchased under S-Plan.

I cross-shopped: 350z (Great power but a little snug for me; Crossfire (nice but a little snug; C-Class Coupe (just didn't emotionally move me); S2000 ( I literally could not fit in order to drive it safely!)

I am 6'3'' and very comfortable in the RX8. Drives wonderfully and the suspension is not harsh, even on the Alaska's (Anchorage)streets where we have our fair share (and some) of holes, ruts and frost heaves after "break-up'. I did not get navigation system, as it is useless here. Had I been in the lower 48 I may have sprung for it.

I read many articles and lurked in this forum in trying to research and be as informed as possible. Your insights, information and opinions were very useful to me. Thanks to all!

On the way home from the dealer, I was getting thumbs up from other drivers and people at the traffic lights were complimenting me saying it was beautiful. So much for being Mr."Low-Profile" :^)

It is now about 6:30am Alaskan time and beautiful outside. I am now leaving the igloo to take a drive in my new RX8. I will post later! I'm grinning already.
    cheez....not traumatic, just a few burns and brusies (mostly from airbag deployment). A guy couldn't decide whether to "run" a yellow/red light or not. I was in a left turn lane in the middle of an intersection waiting for traffic to clear. Light turned yellow. Traffic was slowing, so I waited until it was clear to turn. Ends up, one gut who almost came to a complete stop decided to gun it through the intersection just as I was turning. He ended up "gunning" his car through a redlight and ran smack into my front and right side. To the police, he claimed I turned in front of him while the light was still green. About a dozen other witnesses (it was a busy intersection) said the other guy ran a redlight. End of story except my beloved civic had more damage than the car was worth. That's how I ended up with the Vibe.

My friends make a lot of fun of me stating I must be the only person in the world that owns a world class sports car in the RX8 and parks a "dog slow" 4-cyl station wagon next to it in the garage.

ffitz...welcome!

You are the first owner we've seen from the land of the never setting sun. I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences.
    gguy - ouch....well, I am still glad you are ok. The forum would not be the same without you!! I was behind a Vibe today at a light. Not a bad car. Not for me, but it looked fine and dandy. The deal ya got would be hard for any of us to turn down.

ffitz - wow!! me in Florida and you in Alaska! Feel free to ignore my rants about the 100 degree + weather - I will tune out your snow/glacier reports!!...LOL.....Welcome to the forum! I agree with gguy, keep us updated as to most northern RX8 here! (which scares me, because someone in Inuvik, Northern Territories, Canada will go out and buy an RX8 now!!)
    GG, glad to hear you're okay after your accident.

From everything I've read, the RX-8 outhandles the 350Z. I haven't taken the Z for a test drive, but I did take the 8 for a ride at the last RevItUp event, and I was impressed. Handling seemed very good, and it was quicker off the line than I expected. The course was pretty tight, so I didn't have a chance to really rev it up (ironically) and see what the high-end could do.

What I meant by a "compromise" is that if you're cross-shopping the RX-8, 350Z, and S2000 and you want raw power, you buy the Z. If you want the ultimate in handling, you buy the S2K. If you need four seats, or don't think you could live with a small roadster as your only car, then you buy the 8. A turbo RX-8 could be faster than the Z or S2K, while offering better handling than the Z and nearly as good handling as the S, making it a very strong choice even if you don't care about the "practical" aspects of the 8.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Sounds like you hit the rev limiter. Most (or maybe all?) cars have this to prevent the driver from over-revving the engine. It sounds like the Mazda one is less abrupt than others. Some systems cut the spark or mess with the timing, and the result is a sudden loss of power. Sounds like what you described is almost like a sense of weightlessness.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    how's the 8's accleration & handling compared to your Prelude?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The RX-8 had better low-end acceleration than the Prelude. I didn't have the chance to check out the high-end, but I would guess that it's considerably better with the RX-8's extra 38 ponies.

The RX-8's handling was responsive and precise, and it had the advantage of the RWD feel, but it also felt like a larger car and less immediate to me. I think the main reason was the larger cabin and the increased distance between the driver and the rear window. The Prelude has microscopic rear seats, so it almost feels like a two-seater in putting the driver in the center of the car. The RX-8 has full-sized rear seats, so there's more of a separation between the driver and the back of the cabin.
  • dcsouthdcsouth Member Posts: 3
    What's the performance difference, in people's opinions, between having it and not?
    dcsouth - ya gotta get it!....the one I test drove without was way less fun to drive than the one I bought, which has the SP......that's my 2 cents..!
    cheeze...you and ffitz have to be the sourthernmost and northernmost RX8 owners I've ever encountered.

blacktalon....that prelude was doing the "sports car" thing well when it was tough to find a sports car worth its salt in the U.S. To a certain degree, I think Mazda made the RX8 more "forgiving" to snare a wider cross section of people (which is also the reason it has a useable back seat and 4 doors). That probably accounts for the "less immediacy" feel you noticed. I haven't driven a prelude in years, but the times I had driven one, I was duly impressed. It's too bad Honda let that one slip by the way side. IMHO, the Prelude was also the best looking car Honda ever made.

Make no mistake, if Mazda does brings a turbo RX can to these shores, I'd be the first to make a "bee-line" to my dealer to drive one.

dcsouth...like cheeze said, there are so many upgrades with the Sport Package, it's almost a "must have". That said, if you want the rotary, and you want it "on the cheap", the base model is a heck of a deal. You can pick one up for about $26K....that's price puts it smack in the middle of some pretty mundane cars.
  • dcsouthdcsouth Member Posts: 3
    OK, thanks guys, I'll go for the sport package. Anyone know of any particularly fun roads to drive on near the Gaithersburg,MD area or its environs?
  • taotltaotl Member Posts: 3
    Howdy all. Thought I would tap into this awesome collection of '8' knowledge and pose a question. Does the hump on the front passenger floor irritate anyone else besides me? While I do not anticipate being a passenger in this ride, if it were to happen I would find the hump to be particularily unsmurfy.

Thanks.
    Never had any issues with the middle console...either as a driver or passenger. MAtter of fact, I find it a perfect place to rest my arm. I do wish the storage area and cupholders were moved a little forward.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    You rest your arm on the hump in the front passenger floor? What'r'you, an organgutan?

8^)
    Sorry, I though you meant the console in the middle.

The few times I've actually been a passenger in my RX8, I've never even noticed any kind of "floor hump". It's there, but really not a bother at all to me.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    S'ok. Usually, I'm the one who's confused....

What is the floor hump for anyway? Is that where Mazda stashed the catalytic converter?
    on the catalytic converter...
    Hello all! Grapicguy and Cheezeboy, thanks for the welcome.

Just got back in from fishing for "Kings", as in king salmon.There strong runs this year! We have also completed our solstice, which is the longest day of the year. Last night we started to lose daylight (we lost 17 seconds).

As for my Rx8, I have been joyriding for the past day. Not many miles yet, but they will start to mount. I just noticed last night that instrument panel dimmer switch is turned down, the instruments are lit in red. When turned to full brightness, they are a luminescent white. It was after midnight - 12:30am - still light outside. Just playing with them.

I plan on adding fender strakes, exhaust finishers, aluminum fuel door, front and rear rotary accents. Mostly cosmetic and keeping pretty simple.

Had it out on the Seward highway, which was named one of the most scenic in the U.S. On one side you may see Dall sheep in the mountains which begin on the side of the road, or possibly whales in the water on the opposite side. A beautiful route in that it is both scenic and smooth. Lots of twisties too, as it winds between the mountains and water.

Question: As this is my first rotary engine, are there any break-in precautions which are different and aren't listed that you may have learned through experienced (I am aware of the warm-up procedures)? How long should I realistically wait before really opening it up?

I can't even remotely imagine what it's like to drive the RX8 in such a beautiful surrounding as you describe.

I'm green with envy......;-)

Regarding break-in...keep revs down below about 5-6K for the first 500 miles. Next 500 miles, take it to 7K every once in a while. Once you hit 1K miles, you'll be ready to take it to 9K redline as much as you want (the car loves doing that).

I'm using about 1/2-3/4 qt of oil every 5K miles (which is when I change it), but keep an eye on the oil level every other fill-up, or so. It's meant to use a bit as a little is injected into the chambers by design.

While it's not imperative, if you have anything but the latest "M" revision for your ECU, you may want to have your dealer do the "M" reflash, if you don't already have it.

I found that the "M" reflash smoothed out the mid-range. It also feels faster with the reflash. I'm getting better MPG to boot.

Keep us posted on your travels with the 8. I'd love to hear about them.
    ffitz - wow...you got me beat on scenery...all I got are sandy beaches, a bunch of bikini clad girls, and horrible traffic!!.....if you heed the manual and gguy's advice, you will have no problems...maybe it's my southern location, but I am using about 3/4 to a full quart between 5K services....could be something different because of the Auto tranny....hmmm... (Pathstar might know why) ......be nice to the car, and she will reward you handsomely!..I 2nd gguy - keep us posted!

gguy - I've tried 3 times to check what version the ECU is...no luck...can you describe the procedure one more time?.....
    depends on several things, including average RPM level and throttle opening (if you hold it open a lot while waiting for it to accellerate it will use more oil). What I'm saying is the oil injection is based on throttle opening and RPM (mainly). Also, oil dillution by fuel will mask how much you use. Oil dillution is a "feature" of rotary engines, and is one really good reason to change the oil frequently. Especially if you flood it.

The "M" flash helps a lot here, but we found out the other day you can still flood it even when you have the "M" flash. A flood indication is when it's hard to start. We got it going after only about 5-10 sec. of cranking, instead of the 2-3 min. it took when it flooded before the "M" flash. I get to start Maurice's car a lot testing units, and it usually starts after 1-2 sec. of cranking, warm or cold. Never touch the accellerator when starting (unless it's flooded - then follow the procedure in the owners manual).
  • roadrunner955roadrunner955 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone give me an update? Has anyone driven through winter on the original tires? I'm in southern New England if that helps...is it possible? Or are snow tires an absolute necessity?

Thanks
    I wouldn't try it! The tires are "rather unsuited" for snow. You risk damaging the car as you slide off the road. Maurice just bought four nice 17" aluminum wheels ($100 or so each) and Nokian WR all weather tires. That's kind of a necessity here in Edmonton Alberta, where we get 6 months of winter and 6 months of "poor sledding".

He went smaller to give some room for ice buildup in the wheel wells.
    cheeze...I'm still jealous! Being in AK or FL, you guys still have better "sights" to drive your RX8s. All I have are some twisties in and around the dirty OH River. That said, the hills around here are beautiful twice a year....now, and in the Fall when the trees turn into a bright "pallete" of colors. To my knowledge, the only way to tell which reflash you have it to take it to the dealer and have them "plug in" you car the their computer.

That said, we haven't had any real hot days around here, yet. I don't think it's hit 90. Plus, this past week, it has stayed in the upper 70s-low 80s...quite pleasant. Of course, I haven't seen any bikinis (with women wearing them) around here either.

While I leave my 8 in the garage when there is snow on the ground, I saw some last winter with "blizzaks" on them. They didn't seem to be having any issues negotiating the snow. I would say that "snow tires" are a must if you drive in snowy winter climates.

Pathstar...I've never had a "flooding" situation....even in short drives in the winter. Every once in a while, it would take a couple of extra seconds of cranking to start, but never an all out flooding siutation.

autoblogger...let us know when you do your updates......
    Graphicguy and Pathstar 1: Thanks for the recommendation and information on "M" re-flash respectively. I called my service department today inquiring about the "M" re-flash and if it had been performed on my vehicle. They told me nothing had been done to my vehicle except PDI. They also stated there is a campaign for the "M" re-flash to help alleviate starting problems (flooding) and driveability. I scheduled an appointment next week to have the "M" re-flash done. Thanks for the enlightenment!
  • madmaxmadmax Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have pics of the blue rx8 with wide, white racing stripes like the old shelby cobra had? Bet it would look awesome.

Please e-mail me if you have a pic or could photoshop one.
    I've got the winning blue but, thank goodness, no wide racing stripes are on it.....
  • mysteriomysterio Member Posts: 5
    LOL! SNAP!
    so, I went to the Miami Mazda Rev It Up last Sunday.....and I came away feeling....ah....just "ok" about it......nothing terribly exciting. Now, granted, I didn't partake in the 'Competition' part, because I didn't have 6 hours to wait in lines, but that did look interesting. My main concern is this; if you are not an existing Mazda owner, then it could be exciting driving the 3 or the 6 or the 8 around a parking lot or even compete against others. But if you ARE an exiting Mazda owner, there is not much to do. I thought there would be a "Owners Tent" or something where current owners could get info or at the least accessories for their cars....I went over to a small tent with the Mazda Speed stuff. They had a RX8 and Miata...the 8 had 'Inner City Gold' rims, some carbon fiber stick-ons, and the most god awful looking rear wing and arms I've seen yet....I asked a guy there for a catalog of parts and he said, "sorry, we don't have any"..?? nice........anyway, I gather it's mostly an event for future owners? Don't get me wrong, the competition part looked cool, but just would've taken too long.....oh, the go karts were totally lame.....a 'track' about the size of a basketball court - in a parking lot the size of about 10 football fields!!....

anyway, that's my 4 cents.... :-) had more fun driving my car home then I had at the event...but that could just be my driving!...
    I happen to agree with you. I've been to a couple of them. While I did get into a couple of the competitions, they were little more than cones set up in a parking lot to do a poor imitation of an autox event.

Mostly, it was for the "neon" set who have older Mazda products (mostly Protege series).

Kind of funny because I think the average age of the RX8 owners who were present was probably 40+ and there was only 4 of us there at the last one I attended. None of us had any interest in "spinning wheels" or carbon fiber trim pieces that were being "hawked".

The highlight was being able to drive a MazdaSpeed Miata that one of the local dealerships had on hand. I was kind of suprised that they let us drive it because we weren't gentle with it. It already had 4K miles on it, but I don't know if it was provided by Mazda corporate or the dealership. Fun drive! I wouldn't want it for an everyday drive, but still a nice job by Mazda in bringing it to market.
  • zoomzoom626zoomzoom626 Member Posts: 124
    Anyone knows what the top speed is for MT RX-8?
    The fastest I've personally been able to verify is 140 MPH, but it was still climbing. Don't even ask me how I know that.
    mentioned 150-155...

btw, Edmunds now have a Long Term RX-8. You 8 owners should read and send in responses regarding some of the issues that they brought up.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    All RX8 owners need to flood Edmunds with letters on that long term test introduction. They stated they were alarmed with the high oil consumption even though RX8 owners told them its normal. They never actually addressed the fact that the rotary will burn oil by design! A shameful writeup that shows how little they know about the rotary. Plus, the car is in its break in period where even a good number of gas engines burn oil.
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    Easy now, they made a mention in the article that fellow RX-8 owners said the oil consumption was normal for the rotary engine. They, however, felt it was a bit odd...just like many others who aren't familar with the vehicle. I've never had a vehicle in its break-in period requiring more oil...so I'm not surprised that they felt this way.

They like the vehicle a lot more than the 350Z while using it as a daily driver (as most people would). The main problem with gas mileage they had coincided with what people have said here on the RX-8 forum. That 12 MPG low must have been one of their editors high revving it the whole trip. Still, 16.9 MPG in average mixed driving needs to really improve. That's actually the only thing (along with the off-the-line acceleration) that their long-term 350Z had above the RX-8. It seems Edmunds got a pretty good price (less than $100 over invoice) on the RX-8, in LA no less.
  • 6speed86speed8 Member Posts: 1
    No, it is clear from the Edmunds RX-8 'introduction' that they did NOT read the owners manual or they never would have mentioned the oil consumption as they did. I usually have to add 1 qt evey 2k miles, and I find this acceptable as the rotary IS designed to use oil.

The RX-8 fuel mileage will get a bit better, but not much, However I have never gotten below 15 mpg, and I get a good steady 19 mpg doing mostly city type driving.

NOTE: the Rotary gulps fuel when idling.
    I thought the review was a good one.

After all, they said their driver's comments were "overwhelmingly positive". In their sports car "shoot-out", they felt the same way over its competition. The trade rags have all said, what us owners have always felt, the RX8 is a better car than the 350Z/G35c.

Clearly, Edmunds didn't read the owners manual that states that some oil consumption is normal. Nor, did they spend any time with the dealership's service dept that would have pointed out that fact.

As far as MPG, they need to get the car broken in. Then they have to make sure that it has the "M" reflash (most current) of the ECU, then they can make a comment about MPG being better or worse than the competition. My MPG went up after break-in. It went up even more (by about 20%) after the "M" reflash.

Regarding torque, the RX8 gets to its powerband so quickly that I take the "torque issue" with a grain of salt. This is one fast car, no matter how you slice it. Is it the fastest? NO! But, neither is the Z/C. A plebian Mustang GT will out accelerate any of those cars....so will a WRX with its tonka toy interior. If you really want to go out on a limb, any of the MOPAR hemis will, too. If 0-60 is your main criteria, look elsewhere other than the RX8, 350Z/G35c because you're going to be embarassed by some other very fast cars that you can't live with for very long.

Understand that it's entire driving experience with the RX8 which is what sold us on the car to begin with. It's a very fast car with an engine that mimics an Indy car that is among the best handling cars on the road. All the while being very well built, with high quality materials throughout and being comfortable, to boot. That's a tough combination to reproduce.

I'm consistently getting 19 MPG in mixed driving. All highway is yielding dead-on the 24 MPG that the gov't said it should. Either of those numbers will be affected by "stop and go" traffic or regularly getting into the "nether regions" of the tach....which by the way, the RX8 urges you to do every time you drive it because it's just so much damn fun to do.

I wouldn't expect any bonafied sports car to do much better.

Again, this is a unique sports car that you can drive everyday and get a taste of the "super car" experience.

Like Edmunds points out, they didn't like the experience the Z/G made them go through.

I'd bet after the long term test, they'll like the RX8 even more.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesday evenings... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 5-6pmPT/8-9pm ET

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards