Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    Thanks for the update bunnygirl. I have decided to wait on the new model - I want the 6-spd AT and have decided to just go for it and order exactly what I want for once. My local dealer is also quoting $400 over invoice for the Costco program, but isn't ordering cars since they don't know the prices for them yet. He did tell me that the Mazda rep at the Washington DC Autoshow was telling the dealers that Mazda was skipping the 2006 year on the RX-8's and will be coming out with the 2007's early, probably sometime in April or May. I couldn't attend the show, but plan to attend the Motor Trend Auto Show in Baltimore this weekend, so if I learn anything I'll post it.
  • bunnygirlbunnygirl Member Posts: 30
    Really??? I went to the one in Portland and they had a book of Mazda's 2006 lineup and there was a 2006 RX-8 listed in there, so I don't know. I know the Shinka has been displayed as an 07 although according to MNAO (Mazda North American Operations) it is supposed to be for the 2006 model year. I'm not sure why your dealer wouldn't do an order without an invoice price or anything. On the other RX-8 forum (the one with "car name" club in its name, which I also belong to) I am aware of several people that have already done special orders through their dealers on them, including me. I can think of four others besides me without actually doing some digging to see. I know one person said their local dealers in Texas would't do an order until the new 06s were out, he thought probably because they still had some 05s around on their lots.

The Mazda rep may have been referring to the Shinka because the months you quoted are for when they are expected to come out. My car was originally supposed to be here Jan. 27, then pushed back to Feb. 17, then March 1, and now quoted at the end of March. They were behind in production still since they had had that factory fire about a year ago. It had put them over three months behind in building and are still trying to catch up.

I am hoping there is no further delay and it gets here soon. Although, the longer it takes to get here, the longer I don't have to make a car payment!!!
    The salesman did say that the RX-8 at the DC auto show was the Shinka, so maybe that was the confusion. That, or the reps just didn't know. I personally had to show two dealers the cut sheet on the new options for the 2006 after they insisted that there wouldn't be any changes to the A/T model for the 2006 year. I plan to ask the rep in the Baltimore show on Friday or Saturday, and then I will probably try to pre-order my car again. There is only one Costco certified dealer in my area and they have about 10 2005's on the lot, so that might be why they weren't ready to order cars last month.

It sounds like I need to order mine now if I want it this spring. I have the same advantage about not making a car payment, but I am also wanting to sell my current car before I have to replace the timing belt, so I figure I have about 3 months to get my new RX8.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    There are 22 2005 RX-8 ATs in the Boston area that are going no where fast. I'm thinking about putting a bid down on one just to see if a dealer bites. If there are no 2006 models coming, then they won't take my bid. But if some new models, including 2007s are about to hit North America, I'm guessing the deals will'ah be fly'n.

Please, please let us all know if some new models are about to hit the dealer show room. I'm gonna wait till then. Thanks much.
  • saxon987saxon987 Member Posts: 5
    hmm...starting to sound like they are going to skip '06 altogether! :D

glad I got an '05. discounted and no wait.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    They are not actually "skipping" 2006. The delays (mostly because of the high orders for Mazda 6s - made on the same line and selling better with better margins than the RX-8) have pushed the 2006 RX-8s into the time frame that they can call them 2007s. They will still be made in 2006, will look like 2006s, but will be labled 2007s. It will make it "safer" for a dealer to put them in stock, as they will have lots of time to move them before they "deteriorate" into one year old cars. Kind of like my 2001 Pathfinder, which I picked up in June 2000.
    They are definitely coming and they are supposed to be 2006 models (well mine for sure anyway). I have my VIN number and it has just come off the production line to be shipped in the next week or two. The 2006 model year is just going to be a more limited production because of the delays and the fact that they intend to have the 2007s out in late October to early November. I have an invoice for my car order and it says it is a 2006. This is also my VIN confirmation with its production date for February week 1 when they started building it.
    bunnygirl - Let us know when you get it so that we know at least someone has one! Did they ever tell you how much it will cost?

trispec - The dealers in this area (Wash DC/ NoVA) were quick to give all of the rebates, but when I offered them $2K less than what they were offering, they weren't interested. I didn't think they would be, but I want the changes that are being made to the 2006 more than I want the 2005, so that was as high as I was willing to go to get less than what I wanted. I'm actually glad now that they didn't take my offer, as now I will order exactly what I want. I did have a blast driving the 2005 - one dealer has a 30 mile test route that really shows off the car.
    I am looking at getting an RX-8 with the GT package - I am currently trying to make final decisions on my audio options and would appreciate any opinions from others that already have their 8's. How necessary is the 6-disc CD option? I had a 6-disc changer in a car before, but my tastes in music vary so greatly that I was always ejecting the cartridge and changing CDs out, and I have found that a single tray was easier to operate when I drive. Plus, if I get Sirius, I would probably listen to CD less. The follow on question to this is whether or not there is an easy place to store a CD wallet in reach of the driver, I know storage is limited. Plus, does anyone know if the CD player recognizes CD's burned from your PC? Currently my wife's 2002 4Runner can play my CDs, but the 99 Accord that I am replacing cannot.

Does anyone have an Rx-8 with the factory Sirius option? I tend to not like after market products, I like everything to be stock and work all-together in one unit, so if I don't get it when I order the car, I probably won't ever get it. I have a 3-4 hour drive to my in-laws with horrible radio reception, and I would like to listen to NFL/Sports news/games, and have more music options - both on that drive and when I am stuck in traffic in the DC area.

Any comments would be appreciated. thanks
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    More questions about the RX-8...

I have some health problems that cause me to get fatigued very easily - that is the main reason I'm looking to trade my truck in for something easier to drive. The reasoning for that is that we've noticed I can drive my wife's TL a lot further than my truck - I don't get as tired driving it. I've figured out that the steering is one of the main things that is helping me. The car just tracks so nicely. You don't have to make constant adjustments on the wheel like I do with my truck.

I was wondering if RX-8 owners have noticed whether the car tracks really well? I would assume that it does, based on everything I've read about how good the handling is. I'm also encouraged because I just read where Mazda did a bunch of ergonomics research when designing the RX-8 seating to help reduce driver fatigue.

Leaving on a Carribean cruise on Sat for our 10th wedding anniversary, but when I get back I will be shopping in earnest. Hoping that the whole "end of the month" thing may help a bit on price. I'm going to be looking for an AT in the Chicago area - anybody have any idea how available they are?

First time i've ever looked forward to getting back from vacation... :)
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    If you want efortless driving, then you should look into a
    vehicle that is as luxurious as possible. Something that floats and transmits very little vibration back to you.

The easiest cars that I've driven aren't cars like the RX-8. I'd actually recommend the higher-end Accuras, BMWs, or Mercedes. Smooth, effortless, and tons of power. As much as I love the RX-8, it's no IS350 or E class, to be sure.

In any case, RWD is a big key. FWD is prone to torque-steer and tons of vibration, and a truck is, well a truck. Lol. If you are like me, on long trips, your shoulders and back give out first, which is a combination of poor seats and being slowly vibrated to the point where your muscles and joints complain. The RX-8 is fun, but it has pretty stiff suspension.

Volvo is another good option as well, at least if you get one of the older types that are made in Sweden(2-3 year old S80(RWD model) comes to mind). Effortless to drive and fantastic seats. Cheapest would probably be a Crown Vic, at about 12-15K for a 2 year old one. Great long-trip car.(though hell in town and parking - lol)
    I was told when I placed by my order by MNAO that at least for the manual version prices were expected to be the same price, since they kept the same price on several of their other models. They didn't have concrete prices in front of them at that time.

My car specs:
    Winning Blue Metallic
    Black Leather
    6-Speed Manual
    Grand Touring Package
    Appearance Package
    Rotary Accent Package
    Navigation
    Alarm Shock Sensor Upgrade
    6-Disc CD
    Rear Spoiler
    Spare Tire Kit

MSRP: $36,104
    Invoice: $32,720
    Costco: $33,120

I am also going to get the fender strakes which cost $250 but that is an optional accessory.

This is assuming the pricing does not change. Mazda hasn't actually released US Pricing yet since it is still a few weeks off before they are expected to hit the market here.
    There's "$5,000 off" hand written one of my dealer's Winning Blue 2005 RX-8 parked right in front on their raised display stand outside.

VIN: JM1FE17NX50160784 for $30,885

So I'm guessing with 30 RX-8s on their lot, the $5K offer is the just the first wave of discounts. All them 2005 RX-8's still aren't going anywhere just yet, I'm bet'n.

Are all 2006 RX-8s special order only at this point? If any 2006 RX-8s show up on the lots, that's gonna put some more pressure on that initial discount price above, don't ya think?
    My RX-8 is the easiest tracking car I've ever owned. Even at high speed, 90MPH+, it's relaxing. There's a nice newly paved section of I95 in Maine where 95MPH is like flying a jet at 45,000 feet. The road surface is glass smooth so road noise disappears, leaving only mild wind noise.

Of course you can't count on the other drivers at that speed. I recommend 2am-4am for that jet stream driving experience.
    As of 2 weeks ago, you couldn't even order the 2006 in Fairfax County, VA (outside of DC). They definitely aren't on the lots within 50 miles of my house, according to Internet searches. Bunnygirl seems to be getting in on some of the first deliveries with hers due in soon. My bet will be that the price of the 2005's will go down when the 2006's arrive, but I am interested in the upgrades to the 2006 AT, so I'm waiting for it.
    That is going to be a beautiful car! I think the strakes are about as necessary as the steering wheel they look so good. Do you know if the dealer offers the clear turn signals, or is that after market only?
    Bunnygirl (and others),

That price seems a few thousand higher than the 05s - is the 06 going to have enough new stuff to justify the higher price?

Thanks!
    Bunnygirl's MSRP is the exact same thing that Edmunds has listed for 2005's. The difference is the lack of incentives that are only on the 2005's. When you roll any car off of the lot, it becomes a used car and if you buy a 2005 today, next month it will be a one year old used car when the 2006's show up. It will have low mileage, but it will still be one year older. Another reason for ordering a 2006 verses a 2005 is to get exactly what you want - there are any 2005's in my area that are spec'd the way I want the car, and I typically drive my cars for 5-6 years, so I want to get exactly what I want. I've never liked a car as much as my old 1979 RX-7 (due to the fun of the rotary engine), so I am hoping I will drive this car even longer. To get the specifics on the changes, check out the rx8club website and the official Mazda change sheet is posted there. The majority of the changes seem to be to the AT side, upgrading from a 4-spd to a 6-spd. I'm also buying an AT, so that is a big difference to me.
    The 2007s will be out soon and by then, there still will be 2005s on the lot. A one year old car that's actually two years old marketing-wise is a perfect thing. Buy a nice automatic with only the sport package for $20K out the door.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The 2007s will be out soon

They won't be out for 10-12 months. I wouldnt exactly classify that as 'soon'
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I know some of you have been looking for 2006 pricing...

Base MSRP 26,435 (auto or 6 speed manual)
    Destination $560
    Shinka pkg $6165 (6 speed)
    shinka pkg $6885 (auto)
    I just got back from the autoshow, where I spoke with the regional Mazda rep. Here is what he said: The 2006's have started rolling off of the assembly line in Japan. The 2007's won't be out until the late fall. The base price for the manual transmission is the same as 2005, the price for the automatic transmission (now a 6-spd) was increased equal to the MT cost. He showed me the price sheet, and the two transmissions prices matched at what seemed to be the old 2005 price for the manual - I was not positive since I am only familiar with the AT price for the GT with options. He also said that you can contact your local dealer to get them to reserve a car coming off the line for you, or divert one from another dealership to yours. He had no news on any possible new incentives on the 2005's when the 2006's hit the lots in about 4 weeks. They had one black 2005 at the show, but it was a weak show across the board, probably due to the Chicago show taking place at the same time. I went to that one a few years ago and it was great.
    Just to give a quick overview:

The 2006 Manual RX-8 will be almost identical with the 2005. There will be two or three colours deleted and two or three different ones added (I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers and colours). Some models will come with the keyless entry/start system. Read back - as I recall Bunnygirl reported on what could be had with the keyless system in the US.

The big change will be the 2006 automatic, which will get the previous manual only "high power" six port engine mated to a six speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters as before. Hence the cost equality between the two 2006 models. Same engine same cost - I think it's a bargin for those ordering the automatic transmission as it's a more expensive unit than a manual. Because the torque converter tends to have a very short life above 7500 RPM the automatic cars will be rev. limited to around 7500 RPM (exact rev. limit yet to be seen - will it be 7500 or 7650 or what?). This is what limits the HP in the automatic below the manual cars rating.

As I posted before, it will be very interesting to see which car is "faster" - the quicker shifting automatic or the more powerful manual.

I still find the comments that the car has low torque rather funny - yes it's not a V8 tire shredder. It still has more power off the line than any sane individual needs! When I drive my "slightly modified" 93 RX-7 (300+HP) it scares me. The RX-8 I get to drive does not, yet it handles at least as well and is almost as quick - it just doesn't press you back into the seat as much.
    In 1987 my RX-7 put a 120HP (per the dyno read out) down to the road, truly cool car, but I thought more torque would be good. Then in 1991 my Mustang 5.0's torque heavy 195HP on the road plus hard as a rock fixed rear axle completely broke me to the so called American muscle car mentality.

Today, the 164HP that my RX-8 AT 4 speed gets down to the road (per the dyno read out) scares me. When the second set of ports opens up over 3800 RPM it's plenty enough punch for me. It's always a surprise to me how much fun it is to pop to 4000RPM just before entering a typical Boston traffic rotary and then exiting at over 6000RPM with nothing but full power to the peddle to whole way through.
    Clear corners are after market, or at least have been in the U.S. so far. They are standard on the new models in Australia but I have no idea about here. Most likely not.

My car has been listed as "in production" since Feb. 1. I have not received my weekly update from my dealer to let me know what has happened since then (busy with some sort of inventory cataloging, said he would let me know on Monday).

Anyways, the first shipment of 2006 RX-8s shipped out today from Japan!!!! They are on their way here, listed as "on the water." I sent an email to MNAO and my dealer to ask if my status has been upgraded to "on the water" yet or if I have to wait for the next shipment in another week or two.

The color choices for 2006 are:

Brilliant Black
    Velocity Red
    Winning Blue
    Sunlight Silver
    Whitewater Pearl (also known as Snowflake)
    Galaxy Gray (new color)
    Phantom Blue (new color)
    Copper Red (new color, Shinka only)
    It's true, you CAN actually start an RX-8 in very cold weather without flooding it. It was -27 C this morning. By afternoon it was a balmy -21 C (that's just around -5 F for those metrically challenged) ;). When we started the RX-8 in the afternoon it cycled in RPM from about 1000 to about 3000 for a minute or so - about 2-3 sec per cycle. This has been our first real cold spell this winter (a VERY mild year so far), so we had forgotten that the car does this. It's done it each winter since new.

Just to let you all know, so you don't panic if it happens to you. Don't ask me why it does this. I suspect there are two possibilities. It could be programmed to do it to warm up faster (and keep unburned fuel flowing through the engine). It could also just be an "undocumented feature" of a computer controlled engine with a throttle by wire - a "bug" so to speak. An instability brought on by very cold weather.

I suspect the latter.
    It is the computer doing what you should do manually. Kind of nice. I do this with my old Mercedes in the morning, though a bit gentler - maybe a 500-800 rpm rev every 30-45 seconds until it settles in at a nice purr.

I learned the hard way, and evidently, a rotary works the same - to warm it up in the morning unless you really enjoy stalling and having it run like crap for the first few miles.
    Excellent. We are getting the same cold blast here in Boston this afternoon according to the weather reports. We should see 0-10F. We dropped to 14F in Maine once. The RX-8 exhibited that same cycle rev up and down in clearly stepped increments so it was definitely the computer controlling things. It was neat.

I'll do a weather report and an RX-8 cold start report for Saturday morning back here, cause we are going to be starting up early in that really cold morning for the school break trip.
  • timbmaybtimbmayb Member Posts: 4
    Duke -

My car has the standard single CD unit in the dash, and it only plays standard music CD's. No mp3's. It will recognize music CD's that you burn on your computer, as long as you burn in CDA format.

I don't store a CD wallet in the car and don't really know where one would fit, 'cept perhaps in the door pocket. That door pocket is actually hard to use.

I'm an XM person, and have XM in all our other cars. I was bummed that it wasn't an available option in the '8, but really wanted the car. I ended up displacing the ashtray with an XM Commander radio and it works like a champ. I seldom use the CD player, and practically never use the FM radio. I'm in the DC area myself, so I know what the radio market is like here - it sucks.
    thanks for the info timbmayb. Its good to know that it will play standard CD formats burned from your PC. I have decided to get the sirius sat radio option that they offer. I don't know how it compares to XM, but it is offered by Mazda and they carry the NFL games, so that is good enough for me.
    I'm back from vacation and still very interested in the RX-8. I was just wondering if someone could clarify for me the cold weather starting procedure and any issues associated with it. Just wondering how inconvienent it is going to be. I am used to just starting up and going with my truck, so i'm wondering how much of a change I am looking at?

Thanks!
    There is no cold weather start procedure. Starts like any normal car. There is a computer controlling things and it does rev to just over 3000 RPM at first, but every car I've ever owned, revs higher for a longer period of time when the weather is really cold.

However, the shut down procedure is important. Don't shut down the engine, EVER (warm or cold weather), before making sure the water temp is in the middle range and before revving the engine to 3000RPM for 10 seconds and killing the ignition while still at 3000RPM. This shut down procedure insures that all gas is burned up in the engine before shut down. This avoids possible flood issues, which is really super yucky to fix.
    And never EVER touch the throttle when starting. If it's VERY cold (below 0F) you have to be deliberate. That is, you put on the e-brake, shift to neutral (or leave the auto in park), and then when you start to crank it to start you do so until it starts. Do not quit too soon. Start it on the first try! If you "mess about" there is a good chance it will flood. Only an issue when it's very cold, thankfully.
    I thought the flood issues had been fixed on this car with some sort of recall/fix to the 05s?

I've got an offer on an auto grand touring for 24200 if I finance through mazda credit, 1250 more if i don't. Any ideas on whether i'm getting a good deal. Seems good as it is below invoice even without the rebate...
    If the rates are competetive, that's a great deal. If you can, get them to throw in some better all-season tires to seal the deal, since the dealership makes a lot of profit off of corporate financing/interest on it.
    Flooding issues have been reduced, but they can't be eliminated. It's caused by the poor seal in the engine at low RPM (inability to properly move all air and fuel through the engine - some leaks by the apex seals at cranking speed).

What has been done to fix it is reduction in fuel injected until the engine is actually running (delay of "choke mode").

I personally have never (knocking on wood) flooded a rotary. I don't start a cold engine and then shut it off before it warms up. I am very deliberate when starting a very cold car. The RX-8 I get to drive has flooded irrecoverably once (-30 deg C day - towed to dealership - free - replace plugs, charge battery, and start once it had warmed up in their shop), and flooded a second time in "cool" weather around -10 C - but after persistance we got it started (5 min of cranking in 30 sec. intervals). I wasn't driving it either time. I don't remember if those floods were before or after the "fix". I think before. That car was one of the first in our area so had all the problems of the early cars. Most of those problems were in the computer programming.

Just to inform those who want to know, there are ports under the intake manifold that can be accessed that would allow injection of small quantities of oil. This makes unflooding very easy. The modification would involve removal of the plugs currently in the ports (on the side of the motor) and installation of small plastic tubing up to a device (of the modifiers design) that can allow a cc or so of oil to flow into each port. This vastly improves sealing at low RPMs and cleans out the excess fuel. Sometimes the engine will start with just this step. Sometimes the spark plugs have to be changed before it will start. From experience with "older" rotaries.
    Got it for 24200! Silver with black interior. Loving this car more and more the longer I drive it! I agree the dipstick is a pain in the butt, but it is livable.

Do you guys take the engine cover off to check the oil? The sales guy was saying that is the way to do it, but I was wondering if you really need to...

Thanks for all the help here - I really appreciate it!
  • moadhmoadh Member Posts: 15
    Yeah u have to remove the engine cover otherwise there would be no way for you to get to the dipstick.. unless you're reallly flexibe ;) but anyway, congrats on getting ur 8.. enjoy it !
    Awesome! My love affair with my RX-8 AT Sports Package continues. Nothing but fun.

You got a good deal no question. I paid 2 grand more for less car, back in Sept.
    Does anyone have access to an order sheet for 2006? I want to make my final decisions and order mine this week. - Thanks
    Is there an invoice price and an MSRP price for options such as strakes and sat radio? I am using the Costco program and I'd like to make sure I get the extra options for as little as possible. Bunnygirl, how did you handle getting the strakes on the one that you ordered? - Thanks!
    I am trying to make sure I do everything proper with this car as far as breakin and the rotary engine go. As far as break-in goes, is this a good list (based off of what i read in owners manual for first 600 miles)?

- no full throttle starts
    - no hard braking unless absolutely necessary
    - vary engine speed (ie don't use cruise control)

As far as routine care goes, is this list correct (based on "drivers guide" that came with owners manual)?

- check the oil level every other refueling
    - Never start and stop the engine; always make sure engine runs for at least 5 minutes
    - if engine was only run for 5 minutes and hasn't reached operating temp, rev the engine to 3000 rpm, let it return to idle, and shut off
    - if moving the vehicle a short distance (such as above), let idle for 10 seconds before moving

I think I recall tripsec saying he always revs to 3000 rpm for ten seconds before shut off - is this correct? I also recall someone saying they shut off the engine while it is running at 3000 rpm in this situation; that seems contrary to what the manual is saying (return to idle and then shut off). Is it better to do the 3000 rpm rev every time you shut off the engine or only when the engine hasn't gotten fully warm?

I guess my question is am I safe using the "Driver's guide" info, or is it better to adopt some of the different procedures mentioned here?

Thanks!
    Had my first admirer about 14 hours after I bought the car. Guy walked up to me and asked "is that your RX-8 out there? That thing is awesome!"

We got to talking and I mentioned concern about snow traction. He said he had had some tires siped and that helped him with his vehicle. I was on my way to my local discount tires anyway to inquire about all-seasons, etc and so I mentioned this to the guy there. I told him I was concerned about snow traction, but that since I wouldn't be using the car for commuting (retired due to medical conditions) I wouldn't be slogging it in the snow all the time or for long distances. Mainly concerned about getting caught unawares.

He suggested trying the siping on the stock tires (which happen to be dunlops on my car) - said he didn't believe in it originally but had tried it on his car and it had made him a believer. He suggested that if that doesn't get me where I want to be to get a set of snow tires.

Any thoughts/experience here on tire siping? I did some google searches and a lot of reviews seem to say it is helpful. I went ahead and got them siped for about 35 bucks total. Went ahead and got their warranty/free rotation on them as well, which ended up being close to another 100 bucks, but I figure that will pay for itself in a few rotations. That way if the siping would cause any problems I'd be covered.

Thanks!
    My shut off instructions were direct from the dealer after the sell. As best I can tell, the dealers really don't want their new RX-8 owners bringing their new baby back to the shop with an engine floods. I trust their desire not to see me bouncing, over a manual that might not have the latest information.

I just assumed their "cut the switch while still at 3000 RPM" made sense because the fuel pump would definitely stop pumping gas while the rotors and spark plugs would continue burning the remaining gas. Also, like that it seems to work, as I've never had to crank my RX-8 more than a few seconds, even in really cold weather.

My 1987 RX-7 was a tough starter at times, although back then I didn't know about the revving to 3000 RPM shut down procedure.
    I bought Avon Tech all season tires from tirerack.com. The cost $139 each. On comparison these tires give 90% of real snow tires and 90% of the performance of stock summer performance tires. Purists think it's crazy to put all seasons on a performance car like the RX-8, but I'm really not a performance type guy as my reflexes aren't that fast anyway.

Also the Avon Tech have a 360 tread wear number vs 180 for the summer performance. These tires are quieter than the stock summer performance and they get a tad bit better gas mileage. The tread of the Avon Tech's handles rain water much better too; a good thing around Boston's flood prone streets and highways.

My Avon Tech's have taken me through two big snow storms in Boston. No problems with traction on packed snow, deep slush, ice sheets, nor unpacked snow. Although the unpacked snow running was less than 4 inches and it was necessary to shut off the DSC/TC to get enough power to the rear wheels to spin through.
    Manual recommendations:-
    When you shut the engine off at 3000 RPM the plugs stop firing immediatly. The only advantage to doing this is that the engine will "coast down" from 3000 and this will "pump" some excess fuel out of the engine. Still, it's better than doing nothing. You can't even open the throttle when doing this because it's controlled by the computer and closes as soon as you shut off the key (throttle by wire).

As far as the other recommendations, the most important is to let the engine rev. freely. Remember this is a 9000 RPM engine, and also that rotaries work better at higher RPMs. During breakin you are doing "final machining" of critical engine parts so they work together. This can generate excess heat, so the engineers want you to avoid too much of this excess heat, as it can change the state of the metals, "burn it" so to speak. Full throttle takeoffs are avoided to let the clutch break in properly, for example.

Tires:-

The tires the car comes with are summer performance tires. There are two things that make them this - the tread is designed for performance and the rubber is designed to be sticky when warm. Siping will help with wet traction on warm roads but because the rubber is designed to perform when warm nothing you do will improve cold weather traction very much. You need tires designed for cold weather operation, such as Nokian WR (all season performance tires). If you want one tire for all year you will loose some summer traction and some winter traction. It's just one of the caveats of life.
    pathstar wrote: "When you shut the engine off at 3000 RPM the plugs stop firing immediately. The only advantage to doing this is that the engine will "coast down" from 3000 and this will "pump" some excess fuel out of the engine. Still, it's better than doing nothing."

Hmmm, so does does shutting down while at 3000 RPM actually hurt anything? Or is the manuals method of cutting off after falling back to idle better because the plugs continue burning fuel?

Not having any start problems thus far has been great.
    Do you guys warm up the car for an extended time before driving it? From what I read in the manual and the driver's guide, sounds like 10 seconds of idle or so are enough. But if I understood someone at the dealer right, warm it up for 5 to 15 minutes. But I was asking about the shutdown procedure, so maybe she meant total running time 5 to 15 minutes before you didn't have to worry about the "shut down" rev. She did say the rev before shutdown isn't necessary once the engine is warmed up. Only if you have to shut it down before it gets warm, which is basically what the driver's guide said.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I believe that the 5 to 15 minutes time would be the time it naturally takes for the car to warm up. Yes, you would be driving the car during this period of time rather than just have it idle in the driveway. Personally, I'd believe a max of 5 minutes of driving to warm the car up but then I'm a loooooong way from Canada.....

The flooding problem (from what I understand) was mostly a problem of cutting the engine off without it being adequately warmed up. In other words, if you went outside just to back the car out of the garage and then cut it back off again it would increase the chance of flooding the engine.

I believe the trick of revving the engine to 3k and turning the ignition key to 'off' is only helpful to avoid flooding when the car is not warmed up.
    Rev before shut down clears remaining gas hot or cold I think. It's the design of the engine that needs the 3000 RPM rev.

My 1987 RX-7 was a real tough starter but dealers never really wanted to admit any problems with anything back then. Some RX-7 owners knew about it, but average twenty year olds like myself never got told. So we suffered with the hard starting 13B.

Today's RX-8 Renesis engine is similar enough, but now because of the internet, there's an environment for open disclosure of all problems. The rev to 3000 RPM has gotten me start on several 10F degree Maine mornings and this makes the years of suffering with my beloved RX-7 seem worth it now because the RX-8 is so much sweeter.