Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

revhappy1revhappy1 Member Posts: 2
I am trying to decide whether to wait for the new rx8 or buy a car now. I hear the RX8 will have around 250 hp, what kind of 0-60 stats do you think this will yield? My guess the best would be arounf 5.5.

What about fuel economy, from what I saw the last of the rx7s got about 21 mpg (17/25) and Mazda is saying they will significantly improve on this. What do you think this car will get?

How was the rear window vision in the old rx7s?

How have the gear shifts been in mazdas?

Comments

• revhappy1revhappy1 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to ask before about the RX8 expected cost. I'm thinking about 30K, is this reasonable?

How has been the reliability of the rx7 line?
  • flyingfish176flyingfish176 Member Posts: 22
    And I'd like to know if those awesome open-mesh design seats seen in the EVOLV concept will be sold on the production model?
  • nasdaqrobnasdaqrob Member Posts: 8
    should answer a few questions and also has a bunch of nice pics.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2002@$Mazda@$RX-8c.html

When i first heard about the RX8 coming out, i was thrilled. I new it would be a winner, with all the recent hype over japanese rockets. What amazes me most is how they squeeze so much power out of a normally asperate, low displacement engine- honda s200 watch out!! The suicide doors are badazz, the funky interior is awesome, and 17 inch brakes are insane. If i had 30K right now and was a college student, guess what i'd be buying...
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    "If i had 30K right now and was a college student, guess what i'd be buying..."

Hopefully an education..
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    I love the rotary engine since I got an experience of it in a RX-7.... I would guess that the mpg probably be 2mpg higher for both city and highway. That would be significant enough for me to trade in my car!
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    "If i had 30k and was a college student".... huh?

I geuss you meant "...was not..."
    college students should be driving beaters anyway.... sheeesss....
  • rx7r1rx7r1 Member Posts: 17
    the Rx8 that is...I'll hold on to my 3rd Gen Rx7 R1 thank you very much!
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I'm looking forward to the new RX-8. But the market is going to be tough when it comes out. There will be allot of vehicles to choose from including: 350Z, G35, WRX STi, Evo VII just to name a few. If Mazda can keep the weight and price down, they might have a chance. Mazda proved they could make a superior handling car in the MP-3. If they can work that magic again, I will certainly consider the RX-8. I like the idea of a light, fantastic handling car that can seat 4 real size people! The question is can Mazda do it without pricing themselves out of the market.
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    I read in Car and Driver (I believe) that the weight Mazda is shooting for is 2900 pounds, achieved by use of aluminum hood, trunk and rear doors. Also, the HP is just under 250 (247 or 248). And the price is $30,000 or less. (They really had to do that, in my opinion, to match the 350Z.) So it all sounds good, if it really turns out that way!
    it would be great if those sportscars could keep their prices down, but GM couldn't do it with the latest generation of Corvette.... we all hope that prices won't skyrocket pass 40k.
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    Has anyone heard anything about the performance numbers of this vehicle as well as what the weight of the final production version? The only way Mazda can hope to compete with the 350Z or the WRX STi is to keep the weight as low as possible. I think it might be a good idea for Mazda to offer a turbo version as a performance package. If the normal version will produce close to 250 hp, then a turbo version should crank out 300 hp without too much difficulty. Even a light-pressure turbo might be an interesting way to increase low end torque without putting too much stress on the engine.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    http://autoshow2002.carpoint.msn.com/Articlesmazda.aspx

"With a new side-intake and side-exhaust layout, the engine produces 250 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque."

No performance numbers listed though...

I think that they are trying to get the performance number in line with the previous generation RX-7. That would be just fine with me.
  • babyloubabylou Member Posts: 31
    The rumour is the RX8 will come in at 2700 lbs. I would be amazed if this is true. I bet it's about 3,100 lbs.
    well, the RX-7 is about 2800 lbs. They supposedly use very light seats among other things. So I would say that the RX-8 could easily be under 3000 lbs.
    No way will the RX-8 weigh 3100 lbs. They are using aluminum for the hood, trunk and rear doors plus other weight-saving items. I'd bet it will be under 2800 lbs.
    I would definitely get it if it can be under 2800 lbs.. that would be very tossable on the track or around the curves.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Will 2800lbs be enough weight reduction? The new Z is 3200lbs but has a big advantage in hp and a whopping advantage in torque over the RX-8. At 2800lbs the RX-8 would have a great top end but I'm not sure it would a whole lot faster than even an RSX-S off the line (which weighs the same/little less and will have similar torque numbers).

I'm not sure how competitive the RX-8 can be if it stays normally aspirated. Help me understand, why are they junking the turbo again? As someone else said, this would be killer with a low-boost turbo. Without it, the RX-8 stands to be an overpriced, underperforming vehicle by the time it actually comes to market.
    My understanding of why there will be no turbo is that the RX-7 turbos heated things up to such an extent that the apex seals needed replacing at about 100k miles. This replacement is an overhaul of the engine and thus quite expensive.
    With the larger side intake and exhaust valves, the renesis produces as much hp as its predecessor, but as you point out, not much torque. This engine has very little displacement and torque is a function of displacement. So it'll perform like the S2000, I expect; maybe a little better.
    Somebody who knows RX-7s better than I can correct me if I'm wrong.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Better reliability, much better gas mileage what else? The trick this car is pulling is competing with 3 series more than with sport coupes. It will be more grown up than a sport coupe, still have all the performance (and more with rwd) but have more room inside than a 3 series sedan. What more do you need! This is not (as mazda has said also) the next rx-7. It is not meant to be the same car. But with 250hp from a what 1.6-1.8 liter naturally aspirated engine, that is pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Not too many Americans these days are willing to buy a car that is completely impractical like most sports cars are (except those who have more than one car, but you can't count on them too much for sales or you will probably fall short). Mazda is betting that (excuse my cliche) those of us who want to have our cake and eat it too will go for a car like this. I sure would.
    Yup, the current RX-7 could not meet the US emission standard and it was getting too pricey. The Renesis has about as much horsepower as the older RX-7 with twin turbo. I wouldn't be surprise if the RX-8 will be as fast as the old RX-7. However, the next generation RX-7 might make the Corvette Z06 sweat.

Right, I think that the RX-7 would be impractical for me in the future and the RX-8 would make it competitive with the sports sedans, even better perhaps.
    I just did some research on the 1993 RX-7. It had 255 hp and 217 ft lbs of torque and could do 0-60 in 4.9 sec. There is no way the RX-8 will be able to do that with 50 ft lbs less torque. The best we could hope for is 6 seconds, but the handling should be great and the utility pretty good.
    I read an article in the paper before Christmas which said the RX-8 had a lot more room in it for 6-footers than the 350Z does, both in the front and back. This is as important to me as the sheer performance.
    Also, the RX-7 base price was $31,300, which is more than the RX-8's ten years later - pretty good.
    Well, your 0-60 number is lower than the average. I've seen around 5.2 seconds. Anyway, a sub 6 second range would be right for the RX-8. I am sure that I won't be disappointed by the handling and the room. One thing that I do want is HID. It would make a sportscar look sharp at night.

Just from memory... I think that only the third generation RX-7 used turbo. Turbo was the only problem when my brother had his car.
    My 0-60 time came from early newspaper reviews which were all the same time which probably means they were using a number given out by Mazda rather than testing it themselves. Real-world times may have been a little longer. I'm pretty sure the second generation had a turbo as an option, but it wasn't the same as the sequential turbos introduced for 1993.
    Yup, it seems that the pre-production numbers are usually more optimistic. Still, the 3rd generation was leaps and bounds better than the previous generations in every aspect. I'll let others go crazy over the Z while I wait for the RX-8 or the RX-7 (less likely to buy the RX-7 though).
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    There was a second gen turbo.

ambull,
    where do you get your price projection? I swear I've been seeing numbers in the low thirties.
    Okay, the rumors are flying on this one. Mazda said it will be less than $37,000, but others have said around $30,000 to as low as $25,000. I'm hoping for under $30,000 but I obviously don't know.
    Did anyone catch exactly when this thing will be released? I've heard after the 6 intro, so that would make it next year sometime?
    I read in automobile mag that the price is supposed to be under 29k as well. I forgot if they mentioned it in the streaming video on their web site though. It should be released near the end of next year???
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    april 2003 is the most updated sale date.

Rich
    I seen from a recent autoshow that this base price was supposed to be like $26,900. Most equipped would run about $31k though. I'll keep looking for the link!
    Hmmm.. I'd probably wait for the second year of production... so 2004 I might have a new ride :)

Price - that would be great if the pricing is under 30k. Insurance won't be a factor for me after I'm married... maybe wife factor will be though.. yikes!
  • playathug21playathug21 Member Posts: 20
    I don't know why you guys keep mentioning torque. I think the acceleration could be nearly as fast, and I'm thinking the car will be a winner. Plus, I heard a 6-speed sequential manual is the standard transmission, although I could be wrong.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    According to Sam Mitani, a R&T mag editor who test drove the latest version of RX8 in japan, the car weight 2970lbs, with 250HP, 162 lb -ft, 0-60mph in 6sec, 1/4mile in 14.5sec and will be priced at $26,000 base. 50/50 weights distribution and 90% of torque available at 3250rpm, not bad.
    While I was reading this mag, my wife commented on the cars look as being very Ferrari like and she said that we can have one if we have enough extra money, Woohoo!!

zoom-zoom
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    RX8, WRX, EVO, I bet the magazines are gearing up for the shootout already :)
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I have the new R&T article and the RX-8 looks great. It looks great without out any wierd modern-hey-lets-try-to-be-different things. The head lights don't run half way to the windshield (like the 350Z) and the back of the trunk is close to vertical...you don't get the droopy but effect. The interior looks great too. Nothing too over that top and the little rotor designs (on seat and gear shifter) are pretty cool. Looking forward to its release. 9000 RPM redline sounds like alot of fun too!
    Anybody heard about the price yet?
    Anybody put a deposit down on one of these?
  • speculativespeculative Member Posts: 36
    That is still good weight. I really really really like the RX8 but something is bothering me. Consistantly all past mazda rotery's had lots of engine problems and burned oil. I really hope this one is different because I love the double doors, and the styiling both inside and out. But that idea of the bad rotery (which makes sence because auto makers dont have as much experience with the rotery) keeps clawing at the back of my mind. If it still has good ratings 2 or 3 years after it comes out I may buy one.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda tells us the car will be in the 26-32K range....but nothing solid yet.

Saw it yesterday at the NY auto show. It looks even better in person. The RX-8 looks a little stubby in the pics but in person it does not appear that way.

Rich
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    I owned an 81 RX7, which carried me through my senior year of high school and college. Never had mechanical trouble, and don't remember adding oil between changes. I loaned it to my sixteen year old sister (at my father's request) until he could find her a "suitable" car to drive. 10 days later, TOTALED. 120K miles, but running fine, until it hit that Olds traveling 70 MPH. Everyone was fine, but my rotary engined car was gone.

Looking forward to another fine, normally aspirated rotary soon. (I really do miss it).
  • wannaferrariwannaferrari Member Posts: 1
    I think this is the nicest car to come out of japan save the docile skyline and the basic sports car look of the nsx. Nissans are comming up though...so if they work on the little details and make all their cars with a drag coefficiant of 0.26 like the g35, it will be a wining company. Mazda has to stop calling their miata as a true sports car and saying it's soul is in all of their calls.
  • carsrcoolcarsrcool Member Posts: 26
    This will be one, fun car to drive when it comes out. Only slightly heavier than the 3rd gen RX7. It won't have the same pull but should be more than quick enough per R&T article.

speculative
    Regarding oil use and rotaries, rotary by nature is designed to use a little oil..or at least the case with my 94 as I was told. But it was never a major problem. I loved that car, did most of my own work (mods), and still regret the day I sold it.

Will be interesting to see how the new RX-8 rotary stacks up in terms of fuel consumption and emissions. R&T seemed to indicate that the new engine has solved those issues...and non-turbo should definitely improve reliability over previous RX-7.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    one word for you... check out
    www.nissan.co.jp/SILVIA .
    Much rather have that than a 350Z.

I saw the RX-8 at the Auto Show on a raised platform. I like the 350Z styling better... and the RX-7 was classy. I need another look at the RX-8 in person. However, it seems the RX-8 will have better reliability (non-turbo).
  • mngpaomngpao Member Posts: 8
    Last month I bought a Winning Blue with AutoTrans. It's now got just under 1k miles. Mazda states that although the HP (197) is lower than the 6sp, the AT torque is higher. I don't intend to race it but the power to the wheels is awesome. Also, the mpg is higher with the AT. I'm still getting in the low 20s with 50/50 highway/city driving.

As you may know, the AT also allows manual shifting via the gear shift knob as well as the UP and DOWN paddles on the steering wheel. When the AT is in manual mode, you have complete control over when the shifting takes place. When you consider the higher torque of the AT at about 5k rpm, it would be interesting to see which model is really faster during timed runs.
  • pmueller2pmueller2 Member Posts: 12
    anybody have any idea what configuration mazda has planned for airbags? Seems the wife is concerned about this...probably a good thing considering all the huge suv's and trucks around these days...
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    but here is the official Mazda USA website for the RX-8:

http://www.mazdausa.com/rx8/home/default.asp?sniffer=1&zip=&did=&state=

speculative asked if the new renesis engine will burn oil. Well, rotary engines are DESIGNED to burn oil to create compression on the seals. I believe the old 13B NA rotary burns 1 qt every 3000 miles?

and another thing about rotaries, unlike S2000's VTEC engine, where it changes cam profile at a certain RPM and the high-end torque takes a quantum leap, rotary engines basically has a relatively flat torque curve from around 3800 all the way up to redline (8000 in my old 91 2nd gen, and 9000 in the RX-8). And boy does it pull when you rev it up! woohoo!

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    the renesis, like the previous 13B's, are rated at 1.3 liter displacement, and weighs about 2/3 of a common 4 cylinder piston engine.

Rich, are you almost certain the RX-8 is gonna hit the dealers around March???? I'm still enjoying my 91 RX-7!
  • krzxalienkrzxalien Member Posts: 1
    on mazda's site their targeted torque is 159 ft-lbs at 5500 RPM
    The newsstands are full of magazines with reviews of the RX-8. Spent a few minutes reading them last night and thought I would share. RX-8 is about the size of an NSX with wheelbase an inch or so longer than the Mazda 6. On a track with the 3rd gen RX-7, the RX-7 would pull away on the straights, but the RX-8 would gain in the corners. The handling is like the 1st gen RX-8. What torque there is comes on at over 3,000 rpm. The back seats are cozy for 6-footers, putting their feet under the front seats, which raises them about 2 inches higher than otherwise. The author didn't like that, but I don't want to drag my butt on the pavement, so it sounds okay. It's not the greatest sports car, but is comfortable, quiet, holds passengers and has decent trunk space and may start as low as $26K.
    Sounds pretty good to me.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    are looking for the RX-8 to replace the RX-7; it doesn't. But what it does do (battling the likes of the IS300) it does very well.