Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    http://www.mazda.com.au/currentNews.asp

yet another prestigeous award won by the little car company that could :-)
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    but it is curious it won for the "2.5-3.0 liter category"...isn't it 1.3 liters of displacement?

Not that its displacement can be compared in any conventional way to other engines of that size.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

it displaces 1.3L in volume, but it actually breathes like a 2.6 during combustion.

rotary engines are unique in that they can be think of as a 4-stroke engine that performs like a 2-stroke motorcycle engine.
  • zoomzoom626zoomzoom626 Member Posts: 124
    Do you guys know when is the car going on sale in US?
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The RX-8 goes on sale in July, last I heard.
  • 93delsol93delsol Member Posts: 1
    I just received an e-mail from Mazda stating that a VIN has been assigned to my RX-8. They said they expect it to be built and sent within 30 days. My car is yellow with the MT Touring package and was ordered by my dealer in Pennsylvania back in January. (I'm really, really glad PA does not require a front license plate!) Has anyone else heard anything more spcific on delivery dates?? I'll keep you posted on my progress.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The first ones are on the water. Once they get to these shores, they have a final check before release to the dealers. July it should be.
  • avanteguyavanteguy Member Posts: 15
    i live in canada ,ont. we are getting the frist of the rx-8's by the last week of june to the frist week of july , i should think that they would be in the usa before canada ..
    I wonder if low torque will affect drivability of the car in normal everyday driving, given that you will really have to rew it up to get some punch out of it? What do you guys think?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I don't think it'll feel like much of a disadvantage except on those rare occasions when you have four people, some luggage, and the AC on while going uphill. Then it might feel a bit sluggish. For a car that's "mostly" intended for one or at most two occupants, ~150ft-lbs in a light car should be sufficient.
    what is 0 to 60 number?
    how does that compares to Z350?
    is 166, right? Keep in mind that for everyday driving, that is almost identical (slightly more) to the 3200-pound Toyota Camry, which is plenty peppy enough around town, from the few I have driven. What is RX's weight again? I bet it weighs less than a Camry by a significant margin.

RX-8 should be the perfect mix of mellow driver for in town or in traffic, with the legs to stretch when it is time to.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

um, I think the Z was like mid to low 5's.

the 'high-power' RX-8 has 159ft/lb torque at 5800rpm. The 166ft/lb is for the 210hp 'standard-power' version.

Car and Driver weight the RX-8 at 2940lb.

for comparison, My protege is about 2800lb. (w/ the automatic), and has about 120ft/lb of torque. I get around town fine (albeit a bit sluggish) with 3 adult passengers driving around the town
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I believe their 0-60 was with a clutch dump at some atmospheric RPMs (8K), so a 5.9 is possible but not if you plan to keep your car for a couple of years.

Here's the link--
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article- _id=4346&page_number=5

"With the help of an 8000-rpm clutch drop and the engine buzzing like a flock of angry hornets, the RX-8 scooted to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 96 mph. But that performance falls off considerably without a tire-frying launch. In our street-start test from 5 to 60 mph, the RX-8 needed 7.5 seconds" [source: Car and Driver]
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    The real 0-60 times for the RX-8 without dropping the clutch at a gazillion RPM's would probably be beaten by a Mazda 6s and with a 350Z it would be laughable.I'd be surprised if the automatic was under 9 seconds. But then who cares, it's much more fun to have a high revving engine coupled with that sweet sound. This may affect sales as most people want that low torque pick me up and would not appreciate the smoothness of the rotary and be turned off by the lack of low end power.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I think, at $30K, that low torque is a problem. I really do hope it sells well because I would love to see more use of the rotary in Mazda's lineup. But I do worry that it won't go over well and we will be without it once again.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

if they don't come out with turbo charged one! Which I really think they should do. Average V6 sedan has more torque then RX-8 including my 626. On top of that this car is more heavy then rx-7?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    The average pickup has more torque than the RX-8 also. What's your point?

The RX-8 is intended to provide sportscar-like HANDLING coupled with good power in a car capable of carrying 4 adults in 'reasonable' comfort. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE THE RX-7. Was the MX-6 supposed to be the successor to the MX-5? Why does everyone INSIST on comparing it to the RX-7?

If you are primarily interested in torque in a 4 person sportscoupe, you may be better served by the G35. But don't look for a turbo version of the RX-8 (or future RX vehicles); blame more and more stringent emmissions regulations. The turbo rotary may very well be permanently dead.
    I don't think the turbo is dead.. yet. They can work out the emissions, I'm sure. They would just put several cats on it like the WRX. There is always a solution. Besides, was the last gen RX7 that bad of a polluter? Was it just BARELY passing emissions?

I do think the turbo will not happen if the RX8 doesn't sell well.

Anybody used to a Celica GTS or RSXS or integra or any number of other small displacement sporty cars will be right at home in the RX8. Those cars all sold and sell well. Problem is, they are all cheaper than the RX8. I just hope the space and comfort make up for the price difference (haven't been in one yet, so I don't know).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"Besides, was the last gen RX7 that bad of a polluter? Was it just BARELY passing emissions?"

yes and yes.

"Problem is, they are all cheaper than the RX8."

and they are all FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.

the pricing of the RX-8 is VERY competitive, and add the uniqueness and exclusivity of the rotary engine, it's pretty much a bargain.
    It's NOT a difference in space and comfort that represents the price difference between tha RSX and RX-8. It's the the superior performance, design and packaging of the RX-8. In fact, the RSX could be priced much lower than it is, since it shares its platform and major drivetrain components with a scad of other Honda vehicles. The Celica has many parts in common with the Corolla, not to mention the Matrix/Vibe twins.

Unlike the RX-8, the Celica and RSX are economy cars at their cores. Honda and Toyota have strut suspensions and I4 motors lying around everywhere. If you want a rotary, there's only one game in town.
    Well, as the owner of a Celica GTS, I can tell you some of the appeals the new RX-8 has for me: RWD, much better rear seat space and accessibility, RWD, tossibility, comfort, RWD, better interior materials, and RWD. For those of you comparing this to a GTS/RSX/Mazda 6/TSX/etc. etc., IMO you are missing out of one of the prime attractions of this car.
    Hey, don't jump on the messenger. I'm just telling you what Joe Shopper will be doing. I would never buy an RSX or a Celica, but I am very interested in the RX8. But I do think you are talking about a compact sports coupe here. Those other cars are compact sports coupes. Not much you can do to change that. FWD vs. RWD? We shouldn't start that. Let's just say some folks prefer one and others prefer the other. And, believe it or not, there are those out there who don't care. *gasp*

The price is competitive? With what? A BMW? A G35? You mean those luxury brand cars? The ones that many people use more as an accessory than for driving fun? I just don't see the common shopper thinking "hmmm... lexus, mercedes, audi, infinity, and... mazda!" The only real direct competition is the 350Z.

You are missing my point on this one. I don't have faith in the buying public. I DO worry about the fate of the RX8. I REALLY want it to do well. I'm not so sure it will.

BigH - thanks for the answers to my emissions questions. By any chance, do you have readouts from yours? I'm curious what the car is/was putting out.

Most people (like us) who already know about the RX-8 are aware that it offeres way more in terms of performance and sophistication than a run-of-the-mill FWD sports coupe. If Joe and Betty Shopper want to include it in that company, there's not a whole bunch Mazda can do about it other than stressing in the marketing materials the real nature of the car, as they are doing.

I can see someone buying the 210HP version because they wanted a RSX-S but had to have an autobox, but other than that, I don't see much more cross-shopping (the 210HP Eclipse w/AT is already available, but is a much sloppier handler than the Acura or the RX-8).

As difficult for you to believe as it may be, I am one of those people who will, when the time comes, take a hard look and compare the G35, IS300 and 325i to the 250HP RX-8. If the RX-8 gives me the comfort and performance it promises without all the near-lux frou-frou, than I'll buy it. I already know that I won't be considering the 350Z for the simple reason that it has even less utility than the RX-8.

If the RX-8 can deliver 90% of what it promises, it'll do just fine in the marketplace. It's not intended to be a volume seller. Finding a niche is everything today, and Mazda has just created a new one.
    ahhahahahha

let's just say I'm spewing ungodly amounts of NOx and CO into the atmosphere right now, and will most likely need a new cat on mine in order to pass emissions test :-(

*waves goodbye to my money* *sniff*
    What are your impressions regarding the possibility of a future turbo version of the Renesis motor in light of ever more stringent emissions requirements? Personally, I'm not sure that different/more cats are the answer since they are pretty inefficient until warm and the hardest part of the Government's emissions test is cold-start emissions.
    i'll have to defer until the rotary experts get their hands on a few of them and see what they have to say...

i'm just a rotary enthusiast, not an expert... yet... ;-)
    Again, you aren't the common shopper. Virtually nobody here on Edmunds is.

I can name just a handful of people I know who can tell me how much horsepower their car has or even how many cylinders it has. Sadly, most have no clue other than the brand and model (and sometimes not even the trim level).

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    This car definitely fits the bill for the sorts of people who were likely to buy 5-speed 5th gen Preludes. In virtually every way the RX-8 represents four or five years of evolutionary progress over a Prelude SH. It has similar power and weight in a similar package, with everything being just a bit more polished, at least from the window sticker perspective.

So, if any of you ever wonder who would buy this car, ask those of us who had no problem putting down $25k+ for Preludes. Yeah, there aren't many of us, hence the car's death, but the RX-8 is the first vehicle since the Prelude's demise that fills its shoes. Yay!
    If the RX-8 sells well enough to justify Mazda looking into a turbo for the Renesis I would guess it would be for the rumoured RX-7 since if the RX-8 is succesful the RX-7 wouldn't be far behind.

I don't know if I consider myself joe shopper but I will be buying a sports car in the next couple of years(it will not see winter) and right now I'm considering 4 cars. The RX-8, 350Z(used), G35 coupe(used) and Miata if the 2005 redesign looks more aggressive. Miata is one car they should consider putting a turbo on. I just wish they didn't make it look so cute because that is one fun car to drive but I can't get over the "chick car" stigma. But then again from what I hear the RX-8 is just as fun so it's a good compromise.Back seats are nice to have but hey it's a sports car, they're supposed to be impractical. As long as I can fit the golf clubs somewhere I'll be happy.
    The RX-8's trunk was specifically designed to fit two sets of clubs.
    the old RX-7 I had for a while was probably the "dirtiest" car I have ever owned - they were well-known for dirty emissions by engine design - smog check time was always a battle for me. I would take a deep breath and plunge in!

Supposedly most of that problem has been taken care of in the renesis engine, by moving the exhaust ports. So a turbo is perfectly possible in the future. I agree though, that it will probably not materialize unless they bring back the RX-7 - RX8 is supposed to be more of a sport sedan/coupe and as such the power expectations are lower.

It will definitely face stiff competition from the 350Z and G35 coupe, also 325i coupe (and sedan? - higher priced than RX8), but its sales target numbers are lower than any of those models, so I have high hopes it will make it.

are VERY emissions-friendly for a rotary engine.

and also reduces stress on the apex seals greatly.

hurray for side exhaust ports!
    One thing I am apprehensive about the RX-8 is the maintenance and service of the Renesis. I've heard the old RX-7 had reliability problems with the turbo (at least the 1st couple of years) I've also read that as long as the oil is changed at regular intervals little else is required in maintenance over a conventional engine. Is there any reason not to put synthetic in? Also can Joe mechanic service a rotary if a breakdown occurs and a Mazda dealership isn't nearby?

Is there any old RX-7 owners who have difficulties getting repairs done? Any sports car I buy I plan to have for a long time so I don't want end up with a car long term nobody knows how to repair(or costs an arm and a leg) if the Renesis only has a 4 or 5 year run.
    rotaries consumed oil by design - it was trickled into the engine to lubricate the apex seals...so if the new one does the same, it might be rather expensive using synthetic...

The old ones had a few quirks, my gen-2 was easily flooded if you started it up and shut it down too soon for instance, but for the most part they can be worked on by "Joe Mechanic".

I did read synthetic was bad for the RX7 just for the reason stated by nipponly. It doesn't burn and/or lubricate the seals correctly. I'm sure someone here with the car can explain it better.

Renesis does as well, just that the oil injector has improved so that very little oil is needed to lubricate the seals. (I think it's like 1 quart for every 50,000 miles or something, used to be 1 qt every 5,000 miles)

people used to recommend ONLY conventional oil, as the older synthetics formulas don't burn cleanly, and left deposits in the rotor housings. Many 3rd gen RX-7 owners have been using modern synthetics like Mobil 1 and have excellent results.

What would I use when I get the RX-8? I'll use conventional oil until some other brave soul tries synthetic and reports back significant performance improvement :-)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The RX twin turbo did suffer from detonation problems, but a smart driver knew how to avoid that. The basic rotary engine is good for 150K no problem, with extra good maintenance.

Also, Mazda is the only Japanese company to ever win Lemans, and they did it with a rotary engine don't forget.
  • kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    What is mazda recommending as far as type of oil and change intervals with the RX8? If they are recommending synthetic, you wouldnt still use conventional I would hope!
    I heard on the rx8forum they are suggesting 20w-50 and 3000 mile intervals.

I don't have a owners manual with me, so don't hold those numbers as the ultimate truth, but these should be close though.

and I believe they don't have a recommendation toward synthetic (e.g. both conventional & synthetic is ok)
    If you go to mazdatrix.com they seem to warn against synthetic in a rotary engine.
    just a 'cover their back' recommendation, in fear someone may use a particular synthetic formula that DOESN'T burn completely and wreak havoc to the rotors and the housing.
    Yes, possibly true. Being rotary engine experts, they do have some credibility though. I'd certainly think twice about it until I spoke to them.
    http://www.rx-8forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5674

someone has videotaped the RX-8s being offloaded from the docks at Port of Tacoma today, and the video is available for download!

They are here! They are here!!!

here's one mirror of the video:
    http://www.laferle.com/rx8/offload.wmv

another one:
    http://home.austin.rr.com/violet/eccles/RX-8/rx8offload.wmv

and one more:
    ftp://rx8:mazda@ftp.fsck.co.uk/rx8offload.wmv

enjoy!!!!
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    They're here! HA HA :) You can even see some 6s (sixes) near the turn in the parking lot.

Excellent clip Hank!

Dinu
    They have driven the first batch of production RX-8s in real world conditions, and wrote down their impressions:

http://rotarynews.com/view.php?id=194

I'm liking this car better everyday :-)
    Great link, thanks!