Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Looking forward to hearing from you. Did Sewell say it will have an actual working model, or will they have a pre-production car for display?
  • jhberry4jhberry4 Member Posts: 11
    They did not say, but I am expecting to be a pre- but very close to production model. I would not be expecting any changes, and definitely expect this car to be 'very finished.' I am pretty sure that it won't be available for test driving, but when they had the H2 recently, I would guess that it was definitely a production model.
  • tlivactlivac Member Posts: 11
    I have a 99 9-3 SE with almost 50k miles in Silver with 5 speed. The residual is $16,817, Chase has come down to 15,033. I have tried to negotiate lower but they won't budge. The car will go at auction at about $13,400-700. I don't want to turn it in because I'll get hit with mileage charges and probably something else given how tough I'm hearing that Chase is being at inspection.

I was thinking about asking my dealer to buy it, make it a certified pre-owned, and re-sell it to me.I may be able to get it from my dealer at a similar price but with an extended warranty. Thoughts?
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    looks like i missed your post by about 3 hours:(. just got back into town, let us know how it went.

DL
    Greetings all I attended the 9-3 preview last night, and came away quite impressed. First here is some basic information. The car was an early production European model (light grey and charcoal, middle level, I have forgot the name) so there will be some minor differences. The 9-3 will have 2 engine levels available a 2.0t (175 horses) and a 2.0T (210 hp I think). There will be 3 transmissions ( 5 and 6 speed manual) and a 5 speed automatic with optional steering wheel shifters.

The interior and exterior fit and finish of the automobile was top notch, many of us commented on the narrow gaps between the body panels. The interior was very reminiscent of the current 9-5 with an additional DIC (Personalization Information Center) mounted above the dash and an in dash LCD screen (no navigation on first models). There is a 6 disc in dash CD player and an optional 6 disc trunk mounted CD changer.

The overall design is quite good looking. I do think it is break your neck gorgeous (very few cars are), but it looks as nice as any BMW or Mercedes sedan. The front is aggressive and the sides flow in a very European way. But it retains it's individuality. The doors have a solid sound when closing and the engine is definitely quieter than our 9-5's 3.0L. No word on the Viggen, and the hatchback will be replaced by the 9-3X in 2004 or so. Convertible is expected next April or so.

The design rates a B+, the fit and finish were an A, but I wish that they had finished out the trunk a little more (exposed speaker and other items).
    Thanks. Nice report. I am really looking forward to seeing one in person.
  • tm255tm255 Member Posts: 7
    smu1976

i have a question for you about one of your messages in a closed discussion. sorry for using this as the medium, but i don't see any other way to do it.

please email me at tm55@usa.com

thanks!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Was your preview at a dealership?

Sounds like the 9-3 may be a strong competitor for BMW and Mercedes. Good news for Saab.
    They are part of the traveling circuit for both new Saabs and Hummers (Saw the H2 in April). They had the car on the floor from 4:30 to 7pm yesterday. Not sure where it was going next. But if you would like to see it, call your local Saab dealer and ask.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Liked your comments....

As I said on the hatchback board, the new engine is what bothers me. How well will this GM engine handle Saab turbocharging? I didn't stay around past five, so I didn't get to hear what the engine sounded like.

Last I had read, if sales are markedly improved Saab might bring back the hatchback in 2004. As for engines, the Linear will have 175hp, Aero and the Vector will share the same 210hp engine (available in January of 2003). 2004 there will be a higher output engine for the Vector. No one is saying for sure what the output would be like, but I am going to assume it will have atleast as much performance power as the 9-5 Aero.

Lenear will have the 5sp manual and 5sp auto.
    Aero and Vector will have the 6sp manual and 5sp auto with sport-shift.
    The local Saturn Saab Isuzu dealer had a VUE preview so perhaps they will have a Saab preview also. I will call and ask. Thanks for the info.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    There will be a preview of the 2003 9-3 in the Detroit area on July 13th. The event is at the Ritz Carlton in Dearborn and starts at 5:30p.m.
  • gregmav12155gregmav12155 Member Posts: 5
    I have been surfing the web and gathering info on the upcoming 9-3. Apparently this new car will compete directly with the A4, BMW 3 Series, Volvo 60 Series and possibly the Mercedes C-Class. If the Saab has any chance of keeping up with the above mentioned cars, then I believe it will need to offer a 6 cylinder engine, and AWD as an option. Any opinions on this?

This is my first time here.
    Saab has been about turbo 4 cylinders for many years now. The philosophy is the economy and compact size of a 4 combined with one of the best turbo punches available create a unique alternative in the segment.

The base 9-3 will have 175 hp, 5 more than the base A-4. The mid 9-3 will be around 215 hp, the same as the IS300. I believe there will also be a 255 hp aero version as well.

With its unique styling, ergonomics, and reputation for safety, there is no reason the car will not compete. Provided, of course, it is executed properly.
    logic1,

While I appreciate your opinion......a few facts to back up my position.

2001 Model year sales for brands in the U.S.

Saab____________37,556 (18,374 of which are 9-3
    Audi____________83,283
    BMW_____________213,127
    Mercedes Benz___206,638

10 month period in 2000 (by competing models)

Saab 9-3________16,397
    Audi A4_________28,425
    BMW 3 Series____71,422
    Mercedes C Class___27,672
    Volvo S60__________202 (NEW model late in year)

The majority of these cars are NOT 4 cylinder, nor are they turbo charged (with regards to the total sales). With regards to the competing models.....NONE are 4 cylinder or turbocharged (except the 1.8T Audi).

I still maintain my position about Saab having to consider the 6 cyl. and AWD at least as options.....or I believe they are destined to continue low sales....especially playing with the big boys. The numbers don't lie. Believe me, the new car looks great.....I hope it does well. Time will tell.

I will post updated numbers when I find them. I don't know if Saab will fare any better.
    Volvo___________________125,710 (2001)
    Does nothing for me.

First, your figures show Saab with an ancient 9-3 actually improved its sales significantly in a one year period.

Secind, making carbon copies of the leader merely reminds potential buyers how much they want the leader. The IS300 is a nice BMW 3 clone. Look at its sales figures. It is far better to offer an alternative and catch the people with the money who do not want to buy the leader.

Saab hopes to sell 70k cars a year in the US by 05. With the three versions of the new 9-3 sedan, the new 9-5 sedan, wagons of both, and the new 9-3x which will come out in '05, I think they can do it. There is no need for Saab to follow what the others are doing with their 6s.
    I agree with logic1. Saab is making moves in the right direction to reach their sales goal of 70k in 2005 in the U.S. Yes, Saab wishes to compete more directly with BMW, Audi.. but they do not want to be like them. They will continue to offer a unique alternative to the masses.
    logic1,

I didn't think the facts would do anything for you....but they remain just that.....FACTS.

Interesting that you compare the IS300 to the 3 Series. That is a fair comparison, seeing as they BOTH offer 6 cylinder powerplants.

Don't get me wrong....from what I had read about the new 9-3, I hope it does well....and I hope they do DOUBLE their sales.

In my comparison I had to use an ancient (but still current 9-3), and I also used the same year of the other vehicles as well. The larger number for 9-3 sales was based on a full 12 month year. The 2000 figures was for a 10 month time period. I would assume that those two numbers would be closer if a full 12 months was reported, so your stated increase in sales is, at best, a guess.

bigdaddycoats,

The horsepower rating I am seeing for the lesser engine is 175. In my opinion, still a bit on the low side to be placed in the group we have been discussing. You stated in an earlier post that you thought the entry level engine had 150hp, and you felt that was too low for this class of automobile. In my opinion, 175 isn't much better.

BTW.......I have been doing some research....offline....and a magazine I came across lists BOTH a 6 cylinder AND AWD as items that will be available at some point in the near future on the new 9-3. Good news to hear. Perhaps Saab (and GM) finally realize what they have to do to offer a comparable alternative.
    Well, I am glad you seem to think we are having a debate, but frankly, I do not know what your point is.

Your initial claim was that to be a success, the 9-3 needs the hp of the V6. Then you provide sales figures or cars, some of which actually have 4 cylinder engines, others with V6s that either have lower or very similar hp to the 9-3. You repeat what I said, that the IS300 does have a V6, but you do not respond at all to my point that while the IS300 is a clone of the segment leading BMW, it has not sold well from day one.

IMO, the more important issues for Saab are to provide a solid, attractive, dependable 9-3, with the emphasis on ride, handling, and safety, while maintaining the distinct characteristics of the car.

Finally, your offline research brought you nothing new and some outdated information as well. I mentioned the 9-3X in my earlier post. That is the AWD vehicle Saab is planning. I believe the plans for the 6, however, were in connection with the proposed Cross-over, which Saab now says it will not make.

In any event, there is absolutely not plans for a V6 in the 9-3, which is the vehicle I have been discussing. What Saab does or does not do with the 9-5 or the 9-3X is somewhat beside the point, unless your point is to just say anything that comes up and declare yourself right.
  • shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    I think the discussion is fair based on similiar car setups v6 to v6...but i think the 9-3 will succeed but only if they price it correctly..if it is priced like the a4 1.8t, it will sell..if it is priced like the a4 3.0...it wont...whatever you call it near luxary, sport sedan, etc price in relation to perceived value wins out...look at the g35....getting more for less..like a bmw for less money. Saab needs to market like that...and get good reviews helps as well.
    And with the stock market losing 900 points in a day, it will probably be more important than ever by the time the new 9-3 hits the showroom floors.

But price is not the number one motivator in this market. For example, the car you site, the G35 is doing well, yet not as well as other more expensive competitors, including the 3 Series, the C Class, the A4, the CTS and the LS.

By the time someone is paying more than 28k for a car, subtle things begin to increase in importance. Because many of these are subjective - fun factor, appearance, type of ride, etc. - personality does matter.

It is too soon to tell with the G35, but IMO, the IS300 is definitely suffering for being too much like the 3 Series. Along with getting the price right, I believe the 9-3 has to distinguish itself from the competition. And turbo 4 cylinder is one of the things that buyers have always associated with Saab.
  • shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    Only special additon linear model available in Oct 02...other three models not due till 3/2003..price will be around 30k for linear with special additions and pricing...auto express test drove the new 9-3 and loved it..put it on par with a4 amd 3 series...
    Went to the Detroit area 9-3 preview last night. My wife and I got there early so had the SAAB rep and the car all to ourselves.

The car looks awesome in person. The rear definitely has a BMW look to it. They had a Linear model with the launch package on display. The interior is very beautiful - nice materials and ergonomics seem great.

So here are my thoughts and some info-

- inside seems to compare in size to the CTS, I even fit in the drivers seat with a sunroof and I'm 6'4".
    - very comfortable, leather seems high quality.
    - pricing is supposed to be slightly less than current model.
    - on sale Oct. 15th, moved back from Oct. 1rst. convertible will arrive late spring 2003.
    - in 2005 we may get an Aero 9-3 with 250hp+ V-6.
    - fit and finish seemed to be very good.

All in all seemed to be a very nice car, can't wait to drive one. Better start saving my pennies now.
    The line-up, as I have heard, will be the Linear(base model), Aero(SE) and the Vector(Viggen).

Vector 9-3 won't have a V-6. The whole 9-3 lineup is supposed to be I4 only. I am assuming that, like the Viggen, the Vector will have a high pressure turbo.
    The line-up is as follows:
    Linear -base
    Arc- SE
    Vector - Viggen?
    Aero? - 2005 model with 2.8 turbo V6?
    From speaking to the Saab rep, the Arc and Vector will share the same engine until 2004. At which point, the Vector will be upgraded to the higher output engine.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    there is some nice new pics of the 9-3 at www.km77.com

click on the link for the 9-3 and then images....
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    The first Edmunds 9-3 review states that the base engine and automatic transmission make a very lethargic combo, which is very disappointing.
    Not to me. I would never buy an automatic under any circumstance. Otherwise the review is very positive. Ride and handling appear to be first rate. Edmunds points out the obvious: a FWD layout is never going to be a BMW. But then goes on to say the 9-3 does well against the likes of the FWD A4. Save the money by passing on the auto and get some upgrades.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Hello everyone. I haven't posted on the Saab board before, but the new 9-3 is making me a Saab fan very quickly. It is such a handsome car. The Interior looks incredible. I had an old Volvo wagon a few years ago and still have a soft spot in my heart for Swedish cars.

About Saab needing a V-6. I don't know about that. From what I gather Saab has been a leader in 4cyl. turbo technology for a while and it's somewhat of a tradition.

I like "different". I am a motorcyclist and ride a Buell. It's a sportbike with a Harley-Davidson engine. Very "different". They polarize people. Either they love it, or they despise it. There generally is no middle groung.

People always want things to conform to what the norm is, or what the competition is doing. I guess my tastes are more ecclectic. I like to see a company go their own way. If I wanted an A4 or 325i I would just buy one. But the new 9-3 is "different" and I for one like it.
    The 2.2L ECOTEC in our Alero is proof that a 4 cyl motor can be as smooth as a six. While I generally still prefer 6, the Saab with turbo may be attractive to me in a few years. It's one heck of a looker compared to those 325i's, that's for sure.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    sounds real agressive.26k for a base with leather, with a invoice of 23-24k ??

DL
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...refers to the auto with the *base* model's engine, 100-something HP. It's like drawing conclusions about BMW 3-series performance after driving the European-version 316i - not scintillating. (Then again, if you lived in Europe, like most you'd tend to go for one of the smaller engines.)
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Pablo, since you apparently didn't read the article, regarding the 175-HP engine, they said:
    "After being thoroughly impressed with the manual-shift Vector, we climbed into a base 9-3 Linear equipped with the five-speed automatic. Although the Saab's comfortable seats and excellent ride quality remained, the Linear's lethargic nature when trying to accelerate left us cold. What at first seemed like severe turbo lag from the 175-horsepower low-pressure turbo engine was quickly diagnosed as transmission lag when mashing the throttle. Under part-throttle conditions, the problem wasn't nearly as obvious, but ask for a sudden burst of acceleration, from either a dead stop or when rolling at speed, and there is an almost painful delay between when the pedal hits the floor and when the car finally bolts forward."
    Actually, I too would get a manual transmission, partly because they rarely get automatics right.
    Ambull, since you're so keen on quoting:

“..Our initial seat time came in a top-of-the-line Vector with the 210-horsepower high-pressure turbo engine and six-speed manual transmission ..” followed by “..After being thoroughly impressed with the manual-shift Vector, we climbed into a base 9-3 Linear equipped with the five-speed automatic. Although the Saab's comfortable seats and excellent ride quality remained, the Linear's lethargic nature when trying to accelerate left us cold. What at first seemed like severe turbo lag from the 175-horsepower ..”

Clearly, they are comparing a 210HP manual with a 175HP auto. That would explain part of the contrast, wouldn't you think?

Moreover, it is clear from your own quotation that your original claim that Edmunds had labelled the Saab "*very* lethargic" was an overstatement. The "very" was a blatant exaggeration on your side.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    I can't believe that (a) they would drop the Viggen name and (b) they would consider the Vector's 210 hp a suitable replacement for the Viggen's 230 hp.
    Does anyone else find differentiating the two engines with the same letter amusing?

Bob: Say Joe, what engine do you have?
    Joe: The Two-point-oh-lower-case-Tee.
    Bob: Well, I have the Two-point-oh-capital-Tee.
    It was my impression the Viggen would stay, albeit in the old platform. It seems they'll keep the old platform as the true-flavor 9-3 Saab for a while. I must say the new 4-door Saab doesn't do much for me - if that's all they had, I would not have bought a Saab a month ago. I have no doubt it is an extremely competent car, and yet it seems too vanilla for me. Am I the only one that observes a proliferation of little buttons in the interior that break usual Saab mold of simple, large buttons and lack of distraction?
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    nope...you got me on your side too.

I think saabs strongest selling points to me were the style, hatchback versatility, strong turbocharged engines, completely fun to drive(torque steer and all), near perfect ergonomics, and comfortable seats.

With the new saabs, they have kept a good style, lost the hatchback versatility, the engines are not as strong, supposedly gotten rid of the torque steer(which looses on the fun factor), screwed with the ergonomics(wierd buttons and displays now), and the seats, while I have not sat in them, do not look as comfortable anymore.
    I love hatchbacks, and look what they get rid of. To me, there's nothing more useless than a trunk.

As for the new styling, it's nice enough, but I'm still in love with the old style. I'm not sure what it is about it, but it's timeless. Even after all these years it gives me warm fuzzies to look at it. :-)

And if you think about it, saying that you'd buy the previous style of a car, one that's nine years old, just means you're not gonna get tired of it and wanna trade it in on the next thing (see BMW, Mercedes, et al).
    I agree, I like hatchbacks also. My wife hates them though as does the majority of the population. Not sure why, they are very popular in Europe and else where and they are so practical. Oh well, what can you do. Still like the new 9-3 and can't wait to test one.
    Autoweek on-line says today "Saab announced pricing and dates for its 2003 9-3 sport sedan. Arriving in showrooms Oct. 15, the base Saab in Linear trim will start at $26,525. When the uplevel 9-3 Arc and Vector trims arrive by early next spring, they’ll start at $30,620 and $33,120, respectively. Convertibles, also available this fall, start at 40,620".
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I've been hunting for new cars and Saab was on my list largely becuase they look like nothing else on the road and the hatchback was a great, unique feature. Anyway, while I am sure they are still great cars, after looking at the 9-5 and pics of the 9-3, I've knocked Saab off my list. From the front, they still look pretty cool...and look like Saabs, but from the side and rear, they look soooo much like so many cars...

I am sure many will differ...but I'm bummed, cuz I really liked their much ballyhooed "quirkiness"...
    Then you may want to wait for the 9-3X, which will be hatch-like and as unique as anything out there.
    Funny how the population that dislikes hatchbacks so much doesn't seem to have a problem with station wagons, which are essentially hatchbacks with a tailgate. :-S
    ditto for the millions of minivans
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    and SUVs for that matter.
    I think the deal is the general consumer has no idea what they really want or need. They just go for whatever everyone else has or what advertising tells them to buy. How is it that everyone realized they "needed" SUV's in the 90's? Now they "need" station wagons and V6 260+ H.P. engines. What's really necessary or the best fit is irrelevant.
    Remember SAAB serves another market besides the US, one that appreciates hatchbacks, smaller engines, and manual transmissions ... Europe!