Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    1. Europe is probably one reason Saab is making the 9-3x.

2. While hatches are clearly popular middle market cars in Europe, the upper market is still either sedan or station wagon. Audi, BMW and Benz make hatches for the European market, but these are clearly entry level for them (middle market for the buyer) offerings.

3. GM makes middle market hatches already under the Opel brand. Opel is infinitely more important to GM and it is also struggling to regain profitability.

4. There will be a Saab 9-3 sport station wagon, which will compete with the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes station wagons.

5. GM's plan for Saab has to include its plans for Opel (and Fiat/Alfa Romeo for that matter). GM clearly wants to place Saab as its upmarket European offerings. Those with memories of Saab as an independent company may be disappointed that Saab no longer makes a middle-market car. But GM would be silly to concede to that thinking. Product overlap and competing against onesself do not help the bottom line. If Saab cannot make it where GM is placing it, then it makes more sense to GM to kill Saab and concentrate on Opel.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    I, too, enjoyed the uniqueness and marvelous versatiltiy of a Saab 900 for almost 7 years.

When we discoverd we were going to be parents back in '95, one of my fears was that my evil wife would instantly turn into a "soccer mom" and demand an SUV or Minivan to replace her fun,fun,fun Nissan Sentra SE-R. Luckily, she is (although evil) an intelligent and sensible woman and a green '95 900s became her new car.

The hatch was awesome as we hauled home new televisions (in the box!), assembeld gas grills and of course lots of baby stuff (including a second child!) throughout the years while getting 24+ mpg locally.

Unfortunately, 2001 saw us spend a few $$$ to keep the Saab going and I decided it was time to move on after almost 7 years and 83,000+ miles. I had hoped she'd want a 9-5 wagon. Alas, the "soccer mom" gene proved too powerful and for Christmas we bought her a Lexus RX300. Oh, well, at least it's not a horrendous behemoth like her sister in law's Expedition (oh, yeah. They really need that. It's bigger than their garage!).

Anywho, the new 9-3 looks like a handsome little devil and it will be on my list in a couple of years. Although, I'll probably hold out for the X...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Announced today only the base at C$34,900, very reasonable. Might have to look at one when it's time to replace my 00 Intrigue.
  • newc320newc320 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking to buy a 1999 9-3 turbo for my daily commute. I have been driving a 1992 Toyota Camry for the last ten years and have more than 201K on it. Though Camry is such a reliable car, I don't want to buy another Camry. Saab is my favor for my next car. Does 9-3 a reliable car? Is it expensive to keep?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    The Vector will be sharing the 210 hp engine with the Arc until 2004, when Saab is introducing the increased performance engine. In speaking to the Saab rep., it sounded like a high output version of the 9-3's 4 cyl. engine. Others that have been posting here and elsewhere believe it will be the 2.8l turbocharged V-6 that will be going into the 9-3X. Either way, a higher performance engine is around the corner.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    When the '94 900/9-3 came out, I lamented the loss of the original generation's greater width, larger foot wells and what I opine to be much better looks. Now we've loss the versatility of the hatch - a Saab hallmark. Although my '87 Turbo [265K] has been relegated to very, very occasional "leave at the train station" duty, driving it never fails to put a smile on my face. Even with all of its systems practically terminal, it's still more fun to drive and more comfortable than anything on the market. I can't imagine the current line-up invoking similar allegiance 15 years from now.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Gotta like it

9-3 Pics
    It's the first Saab I have ever really liked a lot. Others are ok, but this one is hot!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    WHEN DOES THE NEW 9-3 GO ON SALE??????
    Someone said October 1 over in Future Vehicles. I actually saw a bright red one on the tollway here in Chicago. Those in the know say it must be a GM car. I was pretty impressed. If this is the trend for the epsilon platform, GM is going to be rebuilding its name in mid-size cars.
    I saw the base model 9-3 comes with cowhide standard? Is this true?
    Apparently so here in the US.

I did the build your own on the British site in August, and there was a cloth seat. Now that the build your own is up on the US site, there is no cloth option at all.

In fact, the car is so loaded that build your own is kind of boring. Pick your color, select the sports chassis, and you are done.
    Local dealer had one in for test drives 2 weeks ago, but I didn't have time that day. I did drive by and see it though and it looked pretty sweet.

I think the release date is early October, but there was no firm date given.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    good review of new 9-3 at europeancarweb.com.
    Thanks bigdaddy. Good review. Very thorough and favoring the technical side. I am in no rush to buy. I may just wait until the Aero finds its way here before making any decision. [unless I go completely nuts and squander valuable retirement funds on an XLR : ) ]
  • artsteinartstein Member Posts: 6
    I am considering a used 1999 9-3 SE. I was also looking at the Audi A4 1.8T but had some reliability concerns after the warrany expires. Does anyone own a 9-3 and have an opinion on the Saab verses the Audi? I really like the looks of the Saab and have always wanted to own one.

Comments appreciated. Thanks
    I think they are about the same in terms of reliability but Saab has recently won some initial quality awards so I would go with the Saab. Probably won't go too wrong either way.
  • artsteinartstein Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for your feedback. I really want to test drve the Saab so I can give it a fair chance. I came very close to buying a '98 A4 but I felt I was losing money on my trade-in.
    Thanks again
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    I will be turning back in my 99 A6 Quattro in November off of lease. Besides have an unrealistic residual-$23K, I would not want to own that car when it goes out of warranty. Too much hi-tech items to fail. All Audi engines except the new A8 all have timing belts and not chains. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm waiting to see the new 9-3!
    Ack.. belts?? Then yes "artstein", stay away from the Audi. That belt job will cost you big $$.
    when do these things hit the dealers?????
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I was told they will be in next week.

No lease prices yet.
  • pjamesepjamese Member Posts: 15
    I am looking for one right now but would like to know the incentives on a lease & if they differ from a purchase. How much should I be able to negotiate off the MSRP in the state of CA. Also, does anybody know why it is so hard to transfer a Saab lease in CA. Thanks
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    How many cars use timing chains anymore?
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    Saab 9-5 4 cylinder cars use chains as does the BMW 6 cyl used in the 3 and 5 series. Infiniti/Nissan V6's. I believe the new Saab 9-3 uses chain. Mercedes uses chains to name a few.
    any dealer sightings yet?
  • nsolanonsolano Member Posts: 11
    I saw a new 9-3 yesterday evening at my local Saab Dealer. My impression was that it looked a great deal like a BMW 3-series...in other words, it was very attractive. The bad news is that it was optioned up to $33.5K. At that price, it would be hard to justify against established offerings from BMW, Infinity, Audi, Volvo, Acura, etc. that sell at similar or lower prices.
    Saab has been around a lot longer than Acura, Infiniti and Lexus.

Like Volvo, Saab is the Swedish branch of a US company. In my mind Volvo has always been the solid conservative Swede and Saab the more fun Swede.

Audi is awd, BMW rwd. Similar prices, but probably attract a different driver. The 9-3 is a nice alternative to both.

Provided the 9-3 is optioned well and priced right, and, with a well equipped 9-3 starting at 25k -- your example is a fully loaded 9-3 afterall -- I think the price is right, the 9-3 should do well.

It is already off to a flying start in Europe. The Japanese do not have much of a following in Europe. There are, of course, high end Peugeots and Alfas and the like in Europe which are not sold here. It will be interesting to see how the Saab does in NA. I have my money on well.
    It's funny, my uncle and aunt in Holland have a Corolla and their neighbor has a Chevy APV van. They are the only ones on the street with these "foreign" cars.

I too think Saab will do very well with the new 9-3. For someone looking for non-BMW entry level lux, I think it will be the best thing out there.
    Depending upon what happens with Fiat, Honda and Toyota may actually be able to find a market for their less expensive cars in Europe where their luxury offerings have not caught fire.
    The much maligned Fiat buyout agreement actually has an out for GM if Fiat declines below certain sales and production levels. If GM does not rescue Fiat, I do not think Fiat will stand a chance. A Corolla is a good option for a would be Fiat buyer.

I am glad GM took the write-off for Fiat in the third-quarter. Now GM Europe can concentrate on making Opel and Saab as good as they can be. The 9-3 is a great start.
  • nsolanonsolano Member Posts: 11
    I checked out the new 9-3 both inside and out yesterday. It confirmed my first impression. It is a nicer car than the previous 9-3 in terms of asthetics and functionality. It came off a little on the small side...very similar to an Audi A4. I liked the vehicle a lot but it didn't really distinguish itself from anything else in the class. Unless you are interested in owning the first one in your neighborhood, I would wait a year for the Dealers to come off MSRP.
    Did you test it?

I have heard great things about the ride.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I spent about an hour this a.m. with new 9-3 auto. I was impressed with ride, much smoother & quieter than old model. Nice pick up and very tight at 85 mph, dealer got a little nervous about pushing it higher as it was beginning to rain and they only have two on the lot for demo's only.

I can't wait to see Arc and Vector this spring as that is more in line with what I will want but this was impressive none the less.
    Drove by the local SSI dealer (Saturn Saab Isuzu). They had 2 fire engine red 03 9-3s sitting out front. No time for a test, maybe this weekend.

The looked great though!
    did not drive them or get inside....but I will say this...

NICE F'IN CAR!

That little manual shifter poking out of the console......the grab handles.....even the wierd center key location (a Saab tradition)........... DO ME!

inside and out, very tasteful and stylish....cabin looks tight and comfy like a BMW3.

My only styling gripe is that the side character line is a bit too pronounced IMHO. If the shape of this car is telegraphing the approximate shape and size of the upcoming epsilon cars like the Malibu, hey good job! "right size" cars. This size of car is just about right for most sedan users. Maybe a couple inches wider would be nice, or is it just a taller looking car that deceives the eye in terms of useful width.

It looked like the back seat was maybe snug and also too low.....gauges are too small....otherwise, dash is fabulous.

"THEY REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE PUT THE GAUGES IN THE CENTER OF THE DASH THOUGH".

Interior plastics and layout looked FABULOUS through the looking glass.

The base linear with 5 sp was priced around 26......good deal if you can live with a 4cyl. A good deal in comparison to some androgynous, confused looking Camry, which would cost more with the same equipment. This trim and equipment level....watch out Accord and Camry.

The auto they had had the Launch pkg and other goodies and was around 32g's I think.

VERY VERY NICE......good, now folks of German lineage like myself can drive a car that looks German instead of something woefully and undesirably SCANDINAVIAN. Imagine that....a Saab that looks more tasteful German rather than SWEDE.

Let's see...9/3, Mazda 6, Maxima, ummm......

Ultimately, the a4 is probably still a bit better looking but the new 9/3 is pretty much equal with the BMW3 now in terms of style.
    You may have noticed that Saab does have an extra read out light, front and center, giving the driver important information about the car. Wonder why Saab put that there?
  • okidokieokidokie Member Posts: 18
    New Saab 93 is appealing to me. Its Ecotec engine should be one of the best of its kind in the world. Smooth, and refined.

Handling is truly great for a FWD. Actually better than Audi A4 FWD. Audi's 1.8T is also inferior than Saab's.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Anyone own or seriously test drive the new 9-3 yet? I'll confess, I'm not a Saab loyalist as I never really cared for their previous styling, but from the pics I've seen, the 9-3 is a nice looking car inside and out. I've got a 2001 Intrigue which I absolutely love to drive, but seems to be turning out to be a lemon. First choice would be to ditch it for a Cadillac CTS, but CTSs are a bit out of my price range right now. And a new more powerful engine is a year away so that might be one worth waiting a year or so on and finding something else to fill the void for now. I'm curious on what you think of the new 9-3 and what kind of price folks are getting them for(both purchase and lease).
  • simon97simon97 Member Posts: 5
    I went into buy my local VW/Saab dealer to look at the Passat. They didnt have a Passat on the floor, so as I waited around I saw the new 9-3 and really liked it. After I drove it , I really loved it. I have a BMW 328 and this was the closest drive to it. Sorry, nothing drives like the BMW. I dont mean to sound snobbish, but unless you've driven one, there is no equal.

I was very impressed. I drove a fully loaded 9-3 with Launch Package and Touring Package (it basically had everything you can get at this time). First and most importantly I love the way it drove. Its got slightly more interior space than the BMW, the rear seats easily fold down, and its got an on board computer that's second to none. Its one of the safest cars, 8 airbags, great gas mileage, large trunk..and it looks good.

Here's what I didnt like, when you include everything, i was quoted $33,285 (which the dealer tells me is $1500 over invoice. Knowing foreign cars usually dont go this low over invoice I was skeptical. After I learned GM bought Saab, it made more sense). Anyway, there is no memory seats, the passenger side seat is not automatic, the Linear is the only one availbe now with the smaller 175HP engine (which for me is fine, but the 210HP is coming in Jan for an additional $3k). There is a cheapy cloth armrest and doors (the rest of the car is leather), and the rear leg room is about the same as the BMW (which is not much). These are all minor things but they really bug me. The Infiniti G35 is the sam price and has all of that stuff...but it doesnt dirve as well.
    I think its worth a test drive, because how a car drives is strickly personal. You can basically pay for all the other bells and whistles.
    Ive never owned a Saab, can anyone comment on the quality, realiabilty, and/or resale value. thanks.
    According to Saab, August and september 2002, 14,000 new 9-3 have been sold in Europe. And it is projected to sell 40,000 by the end of the year. However, Saab only produced 7000 in these 2 months, so many people are on the waiting list.

The heat is spreading now..... Saab 9-3 will be a hot car.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Dealer here in Austin only has two Linear cars, Black manual loaded and Silver auto less equipped for demo's only. Wasn't exactly sure on when they would be getting more but I was more interested in Arc/Vector for just the equipment you mentioned was missing, bigger engine, memory seats, etc. so didn't really push info on Linear availability. He did say to look for Arc/Vector next spring.
    I know Saab won a JD Power award last year for best initial quality for a premium brand. Long term I'm not sure, but I do see a fair number of older Saabs on the road so they obviously hold together ok. I doubt they will be much different than BMWs, not tops but generally good.
    Nice review. You do not have to apologize for liking the BMW drive. Most everyone here does.

So far the local Saab dealer does not have a manual and sport suspension combo. The dealer says they want to order some, but are caught up in the backlog okidokie mentions. I might ask to drive the manual tester and the loaded automatic tester with the sport suspension.

My current car does not come out of warranty for another year and a half. But I recently sold my Miata (wife got an Escape and we only have a two car garage), and really want a driver's car. If the 9-3 lives up to its press, I could order a manual in December or so. If delivery is slow, I would not mind much, as January and February are not driving months in Chicago anyway.
    Now that the Saab 9-3 and 2003 Saab 9-3 are one and the same, maybe Edmunds can combine the future cars 9-3 forum into this one.
  • simon97simon97 Member Posts: 5
    From what I hear, if your interested in the Linear, you ought to buy it before Jan when the Arc's and Vectors come out. Once they come out the fully loaded Linear is going to go up so people will basically say "If Im spending this much, I may as well go for the Arc". $1500 over invoice (which I really couldnt confirm) isnt bad on any car.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    How was the performance from the 175 hp engine? I'm not a fan of four bangers, but from nearly every review I've read, Saab makes some of the best and even in base form the new 9-3 seems to have decent power. The more I look at reviews and pictures of the 9-3, the more I like it. Price wise, it seems a good deal. I optioned one up on Edmunds pricing site and a well equipped 9-3 was less than $1000 more than the MSRP on my fully loaded Intrigue was, although I know the Saab was not be discounted anywhere near the amount the Olds was. Drove by the local dealer this afternoon and it looked like they did have several 9-3s in stock. I may have to drop by this weekend for a test drive.
  • rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    my background:83 blk 3 door turbo, 2 kids later 91 9000T 5 door, 1 more kid T and C mini van & 00 5 door 9-3 (all 5 speeds). Loved the 83. Looked forward to getting into that car for 115,000. 91 and 00 were OK. . not ga ga. Drove the base 9-3 last week, 5 speed. Lighter, little bigger back seat, shifted tighter, much better handling then my hatchback, awesome seats, I'm 6'4'' and didn't need the drivers seat back all the way. . endless head room. telescoping steering wheel, very large trunk, easy fold down/ski space. cup holders aplenty, and work (back seat too). surprising pick up for 175hp, almost NO turbo lag in first (all you Saab owners know what thats about). great gauges. All will have 16" wheels (no 15" available now). trunk and hood you can lower with your pinky. a bit more storage around the driver for glasses, phones, etc. 2 nearby outlets for driver/kids. down side. . still a little cheap on plastic interior, arm rest, dash. Have right of first refusal/deposit on black, launch package (i want to hear the stereo) touring package. With $500 off and no security deposit (saab loyal lease coupon)$30,500 list, $2000 of my money at signing, 455/month 36 month 12K miles/y. I drive exactly 1000/month. No negotiating (and I've purchased 3 vehicles at this dealer). I pick it up Friday. They tell me they are getting one east coast distribution of 9-3s, 25% 5 speeds, with minimal chance of alot more linears available (Phila. PA area). Test drove A-4 quattro stick. . nicer inside. . didn't shift as nice. . back seat smaller. . premium audio, sunroof, ski pass through, fold down seats added cost. Didn't quite like it. Drove a Mercedes 240 6 speed was nice, worried about slippery, winter weather, slow vehicle, and all extras very costly that come with the Saab. BMW 3 series 5 speed: fabulous car. better build/feel/ride then Saab. I understand why they are so popular. I'm just a sap for saabs. the new 9-3. . I could be ga-ga again, for the first time since my 83 black maroon interior 5 speed turbo. . Am leasing as I'm cautious with a new model, and Saabs do depreciate alot right off the lot. . plus I want the option of upgrading in 36 months. I'm a little inexperienced with leasing. . is this price reasonable? doubt I have much choice, unless I want to wait. My 2000 9-3 lease is up .
    What's the lease rate/ residual on that lease?

I would love to hear more if you get the car.

oldsman : Saab makes great 4 bangers though it won't be quite as smooth and quiet as the shortstar. Only a test will give you an accurate picture.
    Saab has the best 4 cylinder turbo engine of the world. Think about Audi's A4 1.8T, and think of Saab's engine that's even better than Audi's turbo. That's how good Saab's new engine is.

The engine is controlled by electronic throttle by wire, managed by the state of the art Saab's Trionic engine management. No wonder it is so smooth and refined.

That's as best as a 4 pot can get.