Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    atfryaratfryar Member Posts: 30
    Hi, I have a 2001 9-3 SE convertible (automatic). Lately, when I'm at a complete stop (red light, traffic, etc...) there's a terrible burning smell. It's kind of like oil burning or something like that. I've gotten out of the car and sniffed around to try and find out where it's coming from but haven't been able to narrow it down. There engine looks dry, i.e. no leaks, and it only happens after I've been driving for a little while. Unfortunately I can't entirely predict when it's going to happen so I've been hesitant to bring it into the dealer (still 1,200 miles left on factory warranty). Could it be the breaks? Transmission? It's definitely more of a burning oil smell than an exhaust smell or something like that. Any input would be appreciated!

On a side note, I can pinpoint when this started happening. And this is going to sound odd but I had brought the car to the dealer because the passenger power seat stopped working (loose connection apparently) but ever since I got it back from the dealer, the burning smell has appeared.

Thanks!
  • Options
    naponapo Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 9-3 Linear since last September and with 19,000 miles, am delighted with it. The only problem was a minor one with the cruise control lever. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. The car is fun to drive, comfortable, gets good gas mileage and draws a lot of compliments on its styling.

After reading so many messages from people who have had problems, I'm wondering how many have had the kind of experience I've had.
  • Options
    wassalljwassallj Member Posts: 14
    I have 30k miles on my 2003 Linear manual that I bought new almost 2 years ago. It has probably been the most reliable car I have owned to date. It did have an ABS sensor go out in one of the front hubs and the lumbar support broke in the drivers seat. Both happened early on and since these problems were fixed I have had no problems. It does not use a drop of oil in 7500 miles, shifts smoothly, and all electronics work as they should.
  • Options
    pawelekpawelek Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I just wanted to share my experiences. I lease a 2003 9-3 arc with 6-speed transmission and all options. It currently has almost 10000 miles. I am quite happy with it. The problems I encountered were quite typical:

1. Stalling had to be fixed.

2. Brakes make a lot of noise while reversing.

3. One of the keys was rejected and had to be reprogrammed.

4. Driver side window would not close automatically and was re-programmed.

5. Sunroof had to be lubricated in order to make sure it closes every time.

6. Currently I hear a click while turning the steering wheel to the right.

The dealer is quite helpful and fixed most of those small problems while I waited. I am very happy with value, performance, power and style of this car. The looks is very understated and elegant, but it somehow changes into more aggressive when you see it in motion. It may be very quick if driven properly. Brakes are amazing and once saved my life on the I-95.

I wish Arc had a little stiffer suspension. Perhaps changing the tires or switching to 17-inch wheels could do. Pirellis are quite good however and even snow traction was much better than in my prior car (97 protege ES).

I am also quite happy with audio. It seems sufficient for listening to public radio and my kind of music (no need for heavy bass).
  • Options
    lcp1lcp1 Member Posts: 14
    Where did you get your info on '05 rebates?$3000

consumer cash on all 9-3 sedans...Linear,Arc and Aero since 12/01/04 through end of year.In addition it's not hard to find a leftover '04

Aero and take advantage of $6,000 !
  • Options
    lcp1lcp1 Member Posts: 14
    WOW!A parent obviously doesn't get the kind of return on college tuition as they used to! LOL!
  • Options
    hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    You say your brakes squeak in reverse, mine do terribly. Did they correct that problem, and if so, how??

I am having a rattling noise under the passenger feet area as if the muffler system is rattling, of course they couldn't find the cause.

I did have that clicking noise, they took the tires off and showed me the problem in the garage, it was some ball bearing gone bad. You may want to have it looked at, and I will find my paperwork and post solution.

So, I still have squeaky brakes in reverse, a rattling, and my key does the same thing, keeps not working. Also, my memory seats reset, and they have already replaced the switch within first month of owning it!

What is the real time to change the oil, is it by the internal gauge? I know tires about every 3-5K, but how long can the oil last? It's winter here in New England and the car was great in the snow yesterday, the traction control worked when needed, but I drove quite carefully too. Tires gripped well it seemes.
  • Options
    pawelekpawelek Member Posts: 4
    The oil change interval seems a mystery to me. I paid for the first oil change at 7000 miles after the dealer send me a remainder. I thought it would be reasonable to do that. Since that time I have only done approximately 3000 miles.

The brakes used to make a lot of nice, especially in cold weather while going slowly in both directions. Dealer probably replaced some pads and it resulted in great improvement, however it still makes noise while reversing. It happens only occasionally and only in the cold. I guess I can live with that, but it may be ambarassing sometimes. The breaks are very potent and perhaps the noise and dust are just a side-effect of that.

The steering wheel noise is a new issue and I have to call the dealer for that. The longer I think of it the more concerned I am.

My previous mazda protege had an annoying noise in the dashboard which has never been repaired. It has been a flawless car otherwise. Saab 9-3 is a much more complicated machine. I am willing to live with occasional odd noise, as long as it does not cause a major problem.
  • Options
    manthonymanthony Member Posts: 19
    Icp1: I had been checking the Edmunds listing of incentives at the time I bought and there was nothing showing for the 9-3. The current listing does show the $3000 mfg-to-customer incentive and indicates it started on 12/9/04. However, I bought my TL on 12/7/04 so it was too late. But, even at the same price, I probably would've gone with the TL anyway. Maybe I just haven't reached that "state of independence" Saab talks about. Some day, perhaps. Incidentally, I remember the salesman at the Saab dealership saying that people shouldn't rely on these third parties (e.g., Edmunds) for accuracy when it comes to manufacturing incentive information. Maybe he's right, I dunno.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    When I got my 9-3, Saab had been running major incentives for a few months, but Edmunds never listed them. The incentive lasted another two months, IIRC, and Edmunds still didn't pick it up.
  • Options
    stitchiemostitchiemo Member Posts: 3
    yes, I have a similar issue on my 03 9-3 SS. The coolant level has been dropping unusually fast and the dealer has to top up the level with water whenever I complained. They are still monitoring the drop although no external leak from the coolant tank, hoses nor pump has been detected using tracer. One speculation was internal leak in the engine cylinder! I'll share if there is any conclusion on this.
  • Options
    bcorzinebcorzine Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys... I'm currently deciding between a 2005 Volvo S40 or the SAAB 9-3 Arc. Off hand it seems like I am getting more with the Volvo for the price, but part of me is thinking that it is because it bases for less and there is more room for me to get options and packages. I am planning on keeping the car, so reliability is VERY important (I am spoilded as I currently drive a '99 Infiniti G20 without a single problem in 80k miles, but I am getting rid of it for safety reasons). Also, the sound system is REALLY important. Everyone says that the sound system isn't good, but are they talking about the base 150 watt one? What does everyone think about the one on the ARC (300 watts).
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Neither will be as famous for reliability as the G-20, which, some say is THE most reliable car ever built.
  • Options
    If reliability is "very" important to you, neither the S40 or 9-3 may satisfy your requirements. The 9-3 is probably the better bet than the S40 because it's been out longer, but it's not going to match most of the Japanese brand competition. From a statistical perspective, you're more likely to hit more glitches with the Saab or Volvo.

For sound quality, it's so subjective on what is "really" good sound that you should really try to listen to it yourself to decide. The 300-watt system is definitely better than the 150-watt, but that's not saying much because the 150-watt is, by my ears, mediocre, to some others, horrible.

Safety-wise, the 9-3 may have an edge on the S40 unless AWD is a boost in safety for you. The 9-3 has a clearly better IIHS side-impact score ("Good" + "Best Pick") than the S40 ("Acceptable").
  • Options
    3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    I agree with the other post regarding reliability; if you are going to keep your car a long time then neither of these are best picks. As far as the stereo, I have the 300W stereo in my Arc and it is just OK... A bit bass deficient and, strangely, the rear speakers are very muted in comparison with the fronts--the first time I have had a car like that. Saabcentral.net is full of ideas on how to upgrade the sound system however, and since you are keeping the car I'd think this would be an option for you to consider.
  • Options
    mw2004mw2004 Member Posts: 1
    I've read a lot of posts on Edmunds.com saying that the sound system in the 9-3 Arc and Aero is inadiquite. I've also read some posts saying that it was upgraded for '04 and/or '05 model years, and that currently Bose supplies the systems. Is that true? I've searched all over the Saab website and broschure and found nothing about a Bose sound system, or even an upgraded sound system. Is the sound system the same in the Arc and the Aero models?

Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I've driven both back-to-back now, and while i think the saab is "cooler" i overall like the s40 more. Slightly cheaper even with AWD, spunkier engine, and a more refined yet sporty ride. Hard to say why i still consider the 9-3, but it just has a certain je ne sais pas.
  • Options
    madmax252madmax252 Member Posts: 12
    Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this discussion board and I'm hoping to get some advice on buying my very first car. I've test driven the Acura TL, Jaguar X-type, Saab 9-3 Arc, and Volvo S40 T5 (all auto trans). I've basically narrowed it down to the Volvo and the Saab. After spending hours reading postings on this site, I'm starting to feel concerned about the long term reliability of the Saab. While I was waiting in the showroom for a test drive, a gentleman approached me and said, "Are you interested in buying one of these?" I said yes and he said, "they're beautiful cars, but watch out." He explained that since he bought his car, he's had a bunch of "stupid and annoying" little problems with it, like rattling doors and squeaky parts. Basically he said it was a lot of fun to drive, but for the price, he expected it to be better built. I personally don't know anyone who has owned/leased a Saab and I only know one who has owned/leased a Volvo. She got the XC90 when it first came out, and at the end of the lease, she turned it in a bought a brand new one. She raves about Volvo. I've driven the Arc three times and I must say, it's a joy to drive and I personally think it looks much better than the Volvo. I drove the Volvo once but I was quite suprised at how much I liked it after I was done. The lower price (with a Ford X plan discont) also doesn't hurt its chances. Has anyone else out there considered these two cars, and what made you choose one over the other?

And a second, unrelated question: I just recently started following the Saabs, so I'm not familiar with the incentives they've offered in the past. Is anyone out there who drives a 9-3 from Southeast MI, and if so, what kind of deals did you get? I've got a GM In the Driveway discount and they're offering $3000 rebate on a purchase until 1/3/05. I priced one out with the dealer, and for an Arc with sunroof, auto trans, heated seats, xenon, and metallic paint with the GM-ID discount and the rebate, it would be $32,962 out the door. I'd like to try and see if we can get it to $32K though. Do you folks think this rebate offer will come back in the next few months, or is this rare for Saab? Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • Options
    Do you folks think this rebate offer will come back in the next few months, or is this rare for Saab?

Welcome!

It is not rare at all. The 9-3 has been heavily discounted since the 2003 models. There isn't massive demand for it and there is plentiful supply, so incentives will continue.

It'll likely be the same way with the Volvo S40. It's a somewhat newer model so Volvo will be able to hold the price on it for a bit. But with the possible exception of their SUV, all recent Volvos have sold eventually for very deep discounts, with obvious hits on resale value.

When we got our 9-3, the S40 wasn't out yet but we looked carefully at the S60, which is still a higher model than the S40. We liked the S60, but would never buy one because of the terrible resale value and "just average" reliability. We found 1-2 year old S60's at huge discounts that seemed to be better buys.

We looked at the leases but at the time, Saab was offering big incentives on the Launch Packages with leases, whlie Volvo's lease deals weren't great.

Ultimately neither the Saab or Volvo will give you the reliability or resale value of a TL. They will provide a more European driving experience and, subjectively, more "fun," and better safety features.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The $3K rebate is pretty common on the 9-3. Unfortunately, Saab's tend to have rebates on them all the time and that kills the resale value on them. Right now the S40 has $1500-$1800 dealer cash on them IIRC to boost end of year.

One place to follow the Saab incentives is on www.gmsupplier.com. Those incentives are available to everyone.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I had a '97 saab--reliability was "very poor" but in that case a lot of it was due to the dealer. For example they never checked the battery, and it blew up and sprayed acid all over the engine bay. Once they washed the car for free for us and scratched the heck out of the paint. Utter incompetence. A lot of the problems i had a blame on the dealer.

However, my bmw just crossed 100K and i've had one small repair ( electrical,: surprise, surprise ). Had a similar experience with a saturn. So some of it had to be build issues.

So, i'd ask around and see if people are happy with the dealer's service. If they provide decent loaner cars, actually do the suggested service and fix problems right without arguing, that will go a long way toward mitigating any problems you may have.
  • Options
    Well after speaking to the Volvo and Saab dealers and deliberating for a long long time, I think I'm going to go with the Saab. What they say is true: most people who test drive one buy one. I really liked all the safety features with the Volvo and I liked the fact that I could get a much better stereo system than on the Saab for about the same price, but in the end I went with what I've been wanting for a long time. I hope I made the right decision.

Also, the dealer told me that if I got the Arc with heated seats, automatic transmission, and sunroof (NO xenon), the OTD price would be $31,873. Anything with a xenon he'd have to ship to him. Now I'm not sure if spending an extra $1,100 would be worth it just to get those super cool lights. Does anybody know if the aftermarket stuff is good? Should I just suck it up and take the cheaper deal, or is it really worth it to get factory installed xenon?
  • Options
    That's surprising that he doesn't have xenon models on-hand.

If you want xenons, don't get an aftermarket kit. Most of them are technically illegal, and some cause excessive glare. Get the factory xenons, which are bi-xenon projectors (low and high beam). Bi-xenon projectors are quite sophisticated and most aftermarket solutions don't give you the equivalent. E.g. a shutter is used to change from low beam to high-beam.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle that has available xenons but doesn't have them installed.
  • Options
    skysaabskysaab Member Posts: 32
    Good to hear what you have made the decision.

Check JD Power rating. Saab and BMW is the same quality rating and they are both stand at middle range almost every year. Which means whatever car rating under Saab will be bad. otherwise will be better.

From the road I always got blind from Bmw or Audi's HID head light. Hate them and wondering why they can't make the HID more friendly as much as Saab does. My 2003 9-3 has 35k miles on it and I am so satisfy witgh it. my other friends driving Infility, Nissan, Avalon and Volvo and all complaing thier engines problems and body.... Sound likes the reliability is about personal feeling on most case. If you care more your own car then those minor problem will be noticed earlier before the problem go bigger.
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I'm not sure what safety features you won't be getting on the Saab that you would on the Volvo. But with the 1st ever double best pick for side and front impact crash testing, you're pretty much buying the safest sedan available today....

Congrats and good luck! You'll have fun driving it
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I decided to go with the no xenon, I figure, if I've never had it before I won't miss it. Picking up the car this afternoon! Can't wait!
  • Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I just bought an '01 9-3 convert with 24,000 miles. I have never owned a Saab before, I wasn't even looking for a Saab. Is there anything I should know about the car? Any unusual problems or quirks?
  • Options
    dbozmandbozman Member Posts: 23
    Hi all. Remember posting back in this forum when I first leased my 03 9-3.

I'm two years into this three-year lease and am interested in getting out of it, if possible. I have enjoyed the car very much and gotten great service from Lund Cadillac/Saab in Phoenix. However, my lifestyle is changing and I'd like to get into something different. Ultimately, I don't think leasing is for me, though I'm glad to have given it a try.

Is there any way to turn the car in early on the purchase of a GM pre-owned vehicle ... since GM owns Saab? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

dion
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to ask in our Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    needashowerneedashower Member Posts: 39
    Nobody beats the Japanese cars as far as reliability goes. In this price range, the Acura TSX is a fine alternative. The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to own an appliance, like a G20, or is owning a true european automobile with a dash of GM, and the opportunity to vent on forums like this about "minor" problems more to your liking. I'd have to say most of the people on this borad have chosen the later, and are generally enjoying the Saab ownership experience.

There is a trade off to everything in life. Many Saabs are known to go 200K if maintained properly.

IMHO, car buying decisions are 80% emotional, so I tend not to over analyze it.

My two cents. Peace.
  • Options
    brutus85brutus85 Member Posts: 11
    I have been reading this site for a few months now & have not contributed. I bought a 9-3 Linear on December 30th. It's steel grey. I got the moonroof, heated seats, metallic paint, & 5 speed(!). I already have 1400 miles on it. I luv it!! I was deciding between BMW 325i & the Saab. I thought BMW was more luxurious & ...hell, it's a nice ride! I had one before. Loved the car but became really annoyed at the amount of attention you get when you own a Bimmer. That can be good/bad or just friggin' annoying. Sometimes you want to do your thing w/out everyone commenting.

Anyway, I viewed the Saab as a somewhat 2nd tier but nice, smart alternative. (I got the car for about $100 over invoice & then I got $3,000 off that!! Can't beat that for smart. After driving the car though, I am extremely impressed. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Screw the Bimmer. I did just as well. The car drives great. It's comfortable. Has nice level of luxury items. I get a lot of compliments about the 9-3 looking really upscale (this is w/out the stalking effect you get from folks when you have a bimmer) which I didn't really feel at the time I bought it. I'm sold now. You can't go wrong with getting the Saab.

ps. Oh yeah, the 150 watt radio needs work. It's...adequate but far from good. I been to Saabnet for answers. The system is just not set-up for deep bass so it lacks a "full" sound. The bass goes to front door 6.5 inch speakers instead of the rear speaker which is more like 4.5 inches & set-up for treble. It's an odd set-up. I think I'll treat it as a project though. Many factory stereos are good so no sweat. Saabnet confirms that all the 3.5 inch speaker have paper cones & need to be replaced first. That gonna give the system big bounce. Then I will look at getting an amplifier to power replacement 6x9 inch speakers in the rear.
  • Options
    massdavemassdave Member Posts: 1
    Ditto on the last poster's comments.

I just moved from a 2000 Passat (perhaps the lowest quality car, with most reliability issues I have ever had (looks great, but reliability and operations suck). I was not even considering the 9-3 when someone suggested I try it out. Well...it surprised the hell out of me. I love it. It 9-3 handles great and has excellent power (even in the base model, its enough for me (better than my VW v6), and overall I've been really pleased...

The fact that its an awesome car without the snoot-factor or every-friggin-car-on-the-road commonness of BMW or Audi is a bonus. The good price was a clincher...
  • Options
    The sticker price on a loaded Linear may be over $30K, but I highly doubt that anyone is PAYING that. Who are "these people" that you are referring to?

Though I will say that your price seems very reasonable.

I also don't think they allow car ads in the forums
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    friend of mine got into an accident in an older 9-3 at 55. Car was totalled. Not a scratch on him.
  • Options
    docwhodocwho Member Posts: 4
    Long time lurker on the Saab, Mazda, and Acura boards. Had narrowed down my choice of cars to a Mazda 6, Acura TSX, and Saab 93 Linear. After test driving all three I couldn't stop smiling or talking about the Saab. Ended up buying one on Saturday. 2005 Saab 93 Linear in Smoke Metallic Beige. Best handling car I've ever owned, and now I'm trying to find excuses to go to the grocery store :-)

Christian
  • Options
    manthonymanthony Member Posts: 19
    Just curious, docwho, what other factors besides the handling made you decide on the 9-3, especially when compared to the TSX?
  • Options
    mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2003 9-3 Linear with about 30,000 miles. I've noticed a lot of suspension noise lately when I go over bumps or over undulations that compress the suspension. It started at about the same time that the weather here in NJ became very cold and I'm wondering if it's caused by the cold or if the onset of this noise was a coincidence. It sounds like a groaning/crunching noise. Anyone else experience this problem?

--***Mooselook***--
  • Options
    I have seen reports of this in another 9-3 enthusiast forum. From what I have read, it's just due to the extreme cold (I'm in NJ too). I dont think I can recall EVER having this many days in the teens and single digits. I heard it once as I backed out of my driveway - but I play my stereo kind loud, so I haven't heard anyting else. The bushings and other suspension parts are freezing and making noise. Probably will be fine, but take it to dealer if you aren't comfortable
  • Options
    I could fit better in the 93 than in the TSX. I'm a little over 6'4" and in the Saab I had more leg room. In the TSX my right leg was hitting the center console when I test drove it. I also felt the Saab had a little more pick up and go. The other reason was I couldn't convince myself to pay for premium gas everytime I would have to fill up the TSX. Given all of that I think the TSX is a great car, just felt the 93 was a little better for me.

Christian
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I thought the 9-3 required premium as well??
  • Options
    It only required 87 or better octane. I asked the sales lady when I was looking at the car. Also the owner's manual states the same thing. After getting my car detailed by the dealership they took me over to a Costco next door to fill up my car with gas and we put in regular unleaded (87 octane).

Christian
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    Linear doesn't require premium gas. Saab recommended people to put premium gas to Arc and Aero but it is not necessary. If you put regular gas into Acc or Aero engine, the system will make adjustment to accept the lower grade gas. Saab said there will be slightly decrease in performance. Make sure you don't put anything lower than 87 into the tank. Some people with the "old 9-3" had problem with Shell gas though.
  • Options
    richsaabrichsaab Member Posts: 6
    Let me start off by saying, I really think my 2003 9-3 Vector/Aero (37k miles) is the best car I have ever had. This replaced an '86 900 classic turbo, that was still running strong at 348k miles. I just wanted a change to a new Saab.

Is anyone else experiencing valve tap for about 10 seconds on cold starts in the teens and single digit temperatures? My Saab dealer, who has been exceptionally good, says it is not a problem.

I am using the factory recommended Mobil 1 10W-30.

Tapping to me means no oil where it is needed and possible wear on the engine components.
  • Options
    salajsalaj Member Posts: 3
    Leased 2004 SAAB 93 Arc Stick Shift in May 2004

8 times in service so far 2X Locking sytem failure, 1X Stability control failure, Window will not close, 2X sunroof will not close, Power steering problem - new pump etc. I have 8,500 miles and I am tired of taking this car to service almost every month. 2year lease, corporate office said that thay can not do anything to get me out of the lease but keep fixing the car. Any advice?
  • Options
    bozothecbozothec Member Posts: 3
    You and I must have gotten the Linear twins. My car also had the Launch package and a number of the same issues! The local dealer in Springfield was useless. Replaced the tires also. I liked the Pirelli's but they didn't last. I have 4 Hankook snows on it now and it doesn't do well in the snow. The Traction control has to be turned off at times to make it move fast enough to get through an intersection in heavy snow before the light changes. Don't know if it is the tires or the car. I have over 60K on the car already and am thinking of changing.
  • Options
    bozothecbozothec Member Posts: 3
    I have complained of similar issues. I have never had a vehicle that needed coolant 5 times and even in the winter! My dealer checked the pressure. No one mentioned an internal leak. I can smell the coolant in the car sometimes.
  • Options
    richsaabrichsaab Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, I had 10W-30 on the brain. The Mobil 1 weight is 0W-40. Some other Saab sites suggested going to the 0W-40 to correct the tapping. Does not help mine.
  • Options
    mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I've had my 9-3 Linear since 11/2002. I now have 31,000 miles. The following is a list of the problems I've had so far: 2/2/2005 30,900 Miles Turbo problem occurs again. No boost. Suspension making a lot of noise going over bumps. Will have dealer check out both problems.

1/12/2005 30,191 Miles Turbo problem. No boost. Dealer repaired loose wire on pressure sensor. 1/12/2005 30,191 Miles Fuel filler cap fails, causing Check Engine light to go on. Fuel Cap replaced.

11/9/2004 27,916 Miles. Engine makes groaning noise at shut off. Dealer replaces alternator. Car out of commission for 1 week while parts shipped on slow boat from Sweden.

4/23/2004 18,500 Miles. Power steering fluid leak. Dealer replaces power steering pump and O ring. Car out of commission for 1 week while parts shipped on slow boat from Sweden. 2/23/2004 17,099 Miles. Power steering fluid leak. Dealer tightens hoses.

1/20/2004 14,703 Miles. Front brakes squeal when going slow (not using brakes). Replace pads. 8/15/2003 9,670 Miles. Clutch pedal making noise. Dealer replaces clutch assembly.

Overall, dealer service has been excellent. None of the above repairs have cost me any money and Saab has always provided a free loaner car. However, now that the "Rush" of new car ownership is a memory, the repairs are becoming an aggravation. I'm glad the warrantee covers 50,000 miles. My lease is up in November and I doubt that Saab will be on my short list of replacement cars. I think a "premium" car should provide both performance and quality and so far, the quality part of my ownership experience has been disapointing.

Anyone else who has owned a "new" 9-3 had similar experience?

--**Mooselook**--
  • Options
    bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    It's probably the heater core. I had to replace the one one my 92 twice. It was a metal/plastic bonded composite piece. If you open the coolant reservoir under the hood while the engine is hot, the sudden depresurization will cause it to crack. Other things probably cause it to crack also.
  • Options
    If you want a premium Euro car, you will find many with nagging issues. Pretty much the nature of the beast.

I have an '03 Arc since 4/03 and had to take it in for some minor things early on, but it's been fine for over a year now.

Good luck with your next car