Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    I think they were talking about GM credit card rebates. I believe you build up possible rebates at 5% of purchases to either $500 or $700 a year for either 7 years or 5 years, $3500 max.
  • got_vtecgot_vtec Posts: 22
    Thanks for the responses. I called the dealer back, but they didn't have any Aero models in stock, and started telling me how much more expensive it was really going to be than $28k. I don't have much patience for the run-around, but by the time I make it to another city, the employee pricing will be over, so I think I'm going to miss this opportunity. :-(

About the Prelude putting down power during turns, don't forget, it's FWD too, so it does have its limitations.
  • I also have a 93 arc I also read the window and it said that it was hard wired for hands free phone. When the dealer in Seattle said that it does not work in the US, I let them know that it was unacceptable! They contacted SAAB in EUROPE and found out the the new NOKIA 6620 phone will work with the system. they positioned a cradle holder and I am waiting for the cradle from Nokia. They assure me that it will work through the speakers and microphones in the car . I will find out!
  • I just purchased a 9-3 Aero, and I am having the same problem. The dealer in TN has no idea how to set it up. Any information you get will be appreciated. Please keep me informed through this message board.
  • Hello Everyone:

I need some work done on my bumper; unfortunately, while i was away for a few months someone rammed into the car and bolted. I don't want to get my insurance involved as of right now as my deductibles are high. I have the car in laser red, and feel a bit weary about the paint match-up. If anyone knows an honest and reliable body-shop near/in Chicago please let me know.

Happy 4th o' July.

-renee-
  • I have an '03 Linear. I listened to the stereo before buying and thought it was awful. I spoke to my dealer who recommended that we go to a local car stereo store, who installed "crossovers" for the front speakers. This cost was about $200, which we added to the price of the vehicle. It was a very substantial fix. Gave much more punch and boost to the front speakers. The rear ones are still poor, but the good sound up front more than makes up for this.

I agree that the stereo is disappointing but I'm here to say that it's fixable. I listen to CDs all the time and a good stereo is important to me. Talk to a car stereo guy and he should be able to set you right.
  • skysaabskysaab Posts: 32
    Hi, I am not sure is this information is going to be ok to post here. share my experiences. My 03'9-3 hit by other car and big animal twice. changed bumper twice, all coverd by insurance. cost est. $1500
    It's all been taking care by "Cars Collision Center" at Naperville. You will find its address and phone number from internet search. They did excellent job. honest and fast. They are actually offical bodyshop for AAA insurance at south/west chicago area. Hope this helps. :)
  • My presence here may be a bit premature, but I most certainly am going to be aquiring a new saab in the not so distant future. I am just waiting for my sentence, a.k.a lease to be up. It is a long story. In any case, I am here to meet people that have spent time behind the wheel of the 9-3. I have enjoyed reading the many posts and have been given an education on the issues sourrounding this car. Now, to my question. Does anyone have any info on the future of the 9-3? I will be leasing in approx. 3 years and I would imagine that what is available now will not be available in the future. Are there any plans for a redesign or phase out? I know the 9x and the 9-3x are in the works, but none seem to be comparable to the current 9-3. The biggest and most obvious difference is the two doors instead of four. I hope that Saab keeps this model moving ahead as it is a great car from what I know about it. :) Anyway, I would love to here anything you have to say on this and thanks for your thoughts
  • cosanostracosanostra Posts: 74
    I've been reading this forum for a bit and haven't seen this posted, so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know when the SportCombi is supposed to come out? The Saab website indicates that its coming soon, but I haven't heard anything other than that. Does anyone have information on this?
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    As far as I know, there are no plans to make the 9-x or 9-3x, or any other coupe at this point. What is coming out is the 9-3 Sportcombi in the fall (very sharp looking sport wagon). Also ciming out is the Crossover based on the Subie Tribeca (I thinjk next year sometimes). The 9-3 is adding a new turbo V6 for the 2006 model year on Aero models, which looks like a real nice engine. I believe that there are no other big changes due for the 9-3 until the 2009 model year redesign, which means in 3 years you'll be looking at getting a great deal on an outgoing model or getting into the brand new one...
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Here's the scoop on the '06 9-3.Linear and Arc designations morphing into one model designation...2.0T Sport sedan,210 H.P. engine std.. Other std.features to include: Body colored side molding and door handles,std.climate control A.C.,std.power driver seat,wood effect interior trim, '05 Linear style alloy wheel replacing Arc style alloy wheel,L.C.D. Infotainment audio screen std.(base 150 watt audio system).Nav system drops in price to $1,995.00.Sun-roof and Auto.Trans continue at same option price as '05.Prem pkg.upgrade incl.red walnut trim,pwr.pass.seat,xenon headlights,express up/down windows w/remote opening sunroof and windows,fog lights,in-dash 6 disc changer,13 speaker 300 watt audio.pkg.price @ $1895.Now the really interesting part M.S.R.P. with everything but Nav.system is $32,165,which is less than $ 400 more than an '05 linear with A.T.,S.R.,and Prem.Pkg. Sport combi prices in at $ 1,000 more.
    Aero has 250 H.P.,2.8 Liter turbo 6,choice of 6 speed man.or optional 6 spd auto .trans.,xenons std.,6 disc chgr.std.Touring pkg.@$1195 incl.rain sensing wipers,rear park assist,memory seat and mirrors,multi function rear view mirror ,with garage opener,auto-dim and compass.Loaded automatic @ M.S.R.P. of $36,265.00,Sport -combi @ $1,000 higher.
    2 new colors....Jet Black Metallic and Fusion Blue.
    Availability mid to late Sept.
  • saaboysaaboy Posts: 23
    About the 9X and 9-3X concepts... They lead up to the 9-3 sport combi and I guess they just ended. The 9-3 wagon is coming out in a couple of months but they will probably delay it as usual. The 2.8L turbo V6, as far as I know, is a GM engine which was thrown at a couple of SAAB engineers to be tweaked. They put a 0.6 BAR turbo in it.About 8-9 PSI. I think even though that's a good turbo for stock, it would make more than 250 HP it the engine itself was proper. For ex. look at the 9-5 engine compared to the new v6. Its an inline4 instead of v6. Its 2.3L instead of 2.8L. So it's smaller and I don't think it has a more powerful turbo. This V6 is still MUCH better than the 3.0L v6 that htey put in the 9-5 cupl years bak,,, that one only produced 200 little ponies... But I don't think anything about a new 9-3. I was hoping the model that was gonna replace the current 9-2X would be a REAL saab. I was thinking of a newer 900? Hehe, a REAL SAAB classic revived.... that would be nice...
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Supposedly the saab engineers had a hand in the design of the v6. It's gm's "global" engine.

I'm sure it's producing "only" 250hp because the car is still FWD, and doesn't have a very heavy front end. If it was much more powerful, it'd just end up spinning the front tires. That 258lb-ft of torque is tasty though.

I picture a AWD viggen model, producing, say 320hp, 320lb-ft, hitting 60 in around 5 seconds.

dave
  • saaboysaaboy Posts: 23
    I like how they call it "global", instead of , well whatever... Yea it would spin the tires, but how front heavy do you want it? Ain't it something like 60-40? i think that enuf...
    Im surprised that the V6 did have 258ft lbs, that doesnt sound bad, EXACT same as 9-5 aero.
    That AWD viggen ur talking about sounds very yummy :P
  • Thank you very much- that sounds like the best deal I've heard yet. How the heck did an animal hit your car? In any case, sorry to hear you had to fix your car but thank you for the info.

-renee-
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    "Yea it would spin the tires, but how front heavy do you want it? Ain't it something like 60-40? i think that enuf... "

I don't want it front heavy at all! It's 54/46 if i recall correctly--fantastic balance for a FWD car. The old 9-3 was way too front heavy. I'm just saying there's not much point* in adding more power until they have AWD.

*(they could add more power for the higher gears, 300lb-ft would be great for those 3rd gear passing manouevers.)

dave
  • mmason2mmason2 Posts: 2
    I'm not a regular reader here, but was wondering if anyone has recommendations on replacement tires for my 9-3 Aero convertible. My original factory tires will be just about gone by end of summer.

I live in a warm climate, and have always been a Michelin guy, but am open to suggestions.
  • msmudmsmud Posts: 1
    saablcp,
    Thanks for the info on 2006 model changes. Can you give me the MSRP/invoice for the 2006 base model 9-3 with manual transmission? How do you calculate the final cost of an 06 base model, manual, with metallic paint, and premium package as the only options? Do you get the sense that this car's sales are successful enough in the US for it to continue given GM's troubles, or is it likely to be phased out. Thanks for your help
    Tim
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    base price - $26,620

with manual, paint and premium - $29,065

this is according to cars.com - they have 06 pricing available.

It also appears that the 210hp engine is now the standard engine with the new 2.8 turbo V6 being the Aero.
  • shihanbshihanb Posts: 17
    I just bought a new 9-3 linear sedan with a manual transmission. The discount was phenomenal when the employee discount was added to the $2K incentives. Question for 9-3 linear owners. Is there anything I should watch out for or do with a new 9-3 when I pick it up and drive for the first several months? The assistance of wise experienced owners solicited :)
  • autobarnautobarn Posts: 3
    This is very 'all of a sudden', but I happened to walk into a Saab dealer, and walked out with a 9-3. I just couldn't resist all the incentives and promotions on the car. I really had my heart set on the Audi A3, but a visit to the dealer confirmed that the car is too NEW for the lease numbers to be favorable. Hence I just figured I'd buy one.

But then after hearing about the GM employee pricing and $4k lease incentives, I decided to check out a 9-3 Linear. Drove nice, the wife liked it, more space than the A3 inside. I thought it might be underpowered, but I'd say it's acceptable. Here's the deal I got:

9-3 Linear (auto trans - no other options), white/parchment
    24 months / 12k miles per year
    0 down / sec deposit waived
    $345 per month (includes NJ 6% tax)
    Due at signing: 1st month, acq fee, mv fees, doc fee. (approx $1300).

Met some resistance regarding pricing, but eventually got the saleman to come down from $357 to $345 a month. Maybe if I visited every dealer in NJ, I could have negotiated $340/month, but couldn't be bothered. Thought it was a good car at a good price. The Audi A3 would have been $100/month more in my estimate.
  • I'm moving from Chicago to Manhattan and won't be needing my car there. I was hoping some of you might give me some selling advice. The car's in good condition and I believe it could pass the certified pre-owned vehicle test (at least that's what I was told from my bodyshop). Would it be best to sell it through the CPV program or sell it myself? I believe it costs about a thousand dollars to have it inspected. Not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!
    -renee-
  • Nevermmind. I decided to just sell it on my own.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you need help with pricing it, check with Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • Hi. I am considering purchasing a saab 9-3 and wanted to get some advice as I don't really know anyone who owns one. I was wondering how mechanically reliable is a 2004 or 2005 9-3? And if it breaks down are repairs/parts expensive. Also would you consider it to be an overall good car.

Thx, your help is very appreciated.
  • tomfredtomfred Posts: 1
    I have had awful reliability with my 2003 93 Arc 6 speed. Was wondering if others have the same experience. I like the design, performance, etc., but have been disappointed. My prior experiences with Honda, Volkswagen (except for the 77 Rabbit!), Infiniti, and others shine in comparison to the Saab. Lots of problems with electronics and electrical system. The car has developed lots of rattles, too.

Love the car - has the QC improved since 2003?
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    I haave an '04 Aero Convertible. So far the only issues have been the seat release cables in the seats. Both had to be replaced. Otherwise, flawless performance. Great car and very few rattles, especially for a ragtop.
  • Hello Hightide,

You mentioned in your post that GM is expecting a lot out of Saab and that it can be used to one's advantage to correct problems. My wife's 2003 93 has an extreme hesitation problem which nearly terminates in a stall . The local Saab dealer and customer service have told me that the car is operating outside its design parameters (97 - centrigrade I assume) and cannot be repaired (Phoenix - summer = really hot). I'd like to know if you have any ideas on who else to contact, as customer service told me they were the end of the line and didn't really offer any help - they did ask what I wanted, but I haven't finalized that yet with my wife. I am going to contact the NHTSA via phone - already filed a report on the web, and will contact the general manager of the dealership. I haven't gotten to mentioning lawyers, because I think this should be solved amicably, if possible, but I am getting near the end of my patience. Any additional suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
  • Please tell me how you reached the prsident of Saab. I need help on a problem that customer service has so far been unble to resolve. Thank you.
  • rocharcrocharc Posts: 18
    I had a miserable experience with my first 03 6spd Arc. the second one has been much better. check out post #2219 for the details. I will admit that the car has developed a rattle somewhere in the driver door. I too would be interested in any improvements in QC