Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• lasaablasaab Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone:

Everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable about the 9-3 and I was wondering you could give me some advice on leasing this car since it will be my first car lease on my own.

I'm moving to Los Angeles in 3 days which is where I plan on leasing the vehicle, and I was wondering what the best deals are, what I should expect to pay per month, the financing rates, and residual values for a 24 month lease, with 12k miles per year.

I want to put down as little as possible up front and I also am not interested in the current 27 month lease promotion that they have on their website because when I worked out the numbers it didn't seem like a good deal.

I'm looking for the Saab 9-3 2.0T 4cyl turbo with automatic transmission- other than that I'm not looking for any other upgrades.

Also, when do the 2007 models come out-- will that make the prices on the 2006 models go down? Should I be getting a better deal since I plan on purchasing at the end of the month and during Memorial Day Weekend?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Ashley
  • rogereaton75rogereaton75 Member Posts: 4
    You are a life saver my friend! I have been dealing with this for two years and you fixed my problem with one little posting!! Thanks a million!!!
  • rogereaton75rogereaton75 Member Posts: 4
    What ever you do, DO NOT purchase your car from Saab of Santa Monica. My car has been riddled with problems and their service was terrible from the start. They kept me waiting in the show room for 5 hours while they "swore my car was almost done..." The service manager does not return calls, so much so that when I called the dealership manager, he had to get involved. (Though they never fixed my problems.)

I now live in San Diego and though I will never buy another Saab for as long as I live, Marvin K. Brown does provide excellent service. Strongly reccomend you lease because when you go to the dealer every month to get it fixed, you don't want to have to pay for it too.

Do yourself a favor and read Consumer Reports before choosing a Saab....
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I would think that the issue of loaner cars is decided at the dealer level. In any case, I couldn't imagine paying up for a European car w/o the explicit promise of a free loaner.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    It is now, but Saab subsidized it before and your loaner was a Saab. Now you need to make it part of your negotiation and not assume loaners will always be available and it may be anything, even an Enterprise rental.

Our Saab is a 2005 and we were told loaner cars will be available for scheduled maintenance and warranty work when we purchased the car.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Saab dealers continue to have access to a loaner car program that is subsidized by Saab corporate.The loaners are apportioned to each dealer based on how many cars they deliver per annum.There still is the possibility that on any given service day the number of Saab loaner cars available may not be adequate to provide every service customer with a Saab.In these cases dealers will often substitute a rental car at dealership expense.
    Loaner cars must stay in service for 120 days after which they are given a $1,000 to $2000 subsidy to be used as a rebate to the consumer.Dealers,if they choose, may restrict loaner car eligibility to only customers who purchased from their dealership.There is no need to negotiate loaner coverage at time of purchase.
    Obviously you need to clarify with the dealer or negotiate with the dealer at time of purchase if the program is not mandatory.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    >>The shop can't get it in for 2 weeks!!!

Just drive it in to the shop until they look at it or call the police. Tell them you are coming with a camera crew.
    Even with a loaner, who wants the hassle of going back and forth to the dealer. I say dude should sue 'em, get his money back and buy something else.
  • philpvillephilpville Member Posts: 5
    I wanted to say the same thing. I have an '03 Linear 9-3. It's been fine. The radio has had problems (especially in cold weather--who knows) but overall it's been a perfectly fine car. Drives great, good mileage.
  • thomaswthomasw Member Posts: 34
    I leased a 2003 9-3. FINALLY was able to turn it in last February.

That car, which overall is a GM product know, personified why GM has a reputation as a crap manufacturer.

Though I'm eligible for the GM Family Discount through an in-law, I passed on it and got a non-GM car to replace the 9-3.

According to the car magazines, SAAB's engineers have mostly been fired - ALL future SAAB's are going to be cosmetically modified Opels. In other words, just more GM crap, peddled as "upscale" European cars, and priced accordingly.

The 9-5 was designed before GM took full control, and is a wonderful car (if you can stomach the new styling). If you want a SAAB, that's your ticket.

Other than that, from now on, RUN from SAABs ... unless you like paying premium dollar for an Opel POS.
  • skmcesskmces Member Posts: 6
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...i just fixed my radio(2006 9-3 2.0T)...dealer was useless, all they did was reset one station and said they did a software update and fixed it..., turns out they didn't fix anything...THANKS AGAIN
  • rsxbobrsxbob Member Posts: 1
    I leased an 06 Saab 9-3 in Dec. 05. Since that time I have experienced many problems. Such as SID freaking out, right side passenger window stuck half way up, and an odd smell eminating from a/c unit, which the dealer really screwed up. However, by far the most troublesome is a fuel problem. I have had the fuel pump removed and replaced but still not right. It seems that when I gas up, the car tends to stall, run poorly, and the engine icon is displayed. Dealer says that I cannot top off the tank, but instead, remove gas hose at first "click". This problem has me so paranoid that I usually only fill 3/4 of the tank and dont even wait for the infamous "click". Has any one out there experienced this continuing problem. Dealer is useless!!! Only 4500 miles on odometer.
  • jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    Bob,
    You should have read my posts on this car. Mine is absolutely horrible. I have a website, but I do not think I can post the URL on here but my motto know is "dontbuyasaab" if you get my drift.

I have hired an attorney, with a link on my website, and am in the process of a lemon law complaint against Saab. The car, an '06 9-3 Aero is a piece of junk with multiple electrical problems--some of which deal with the SID flickering EVERY time I touch anything electrical in the car; flashers, blinkers, seat heater, door locks, windows, etc. The car was in the shop four times for a total of 30 days in the first three months I owned it. And all of this UNDER 4k miles.

The dealership is worthless--you got that right. Corporate in Atlanta isn't much better. Saab was good when it was owned and run by Swedes. Now that GM has it (and I know I am GM bashing, but I can't help it) they have gone downhill.

The only thing I want now is to ditch my Saab and walk away. Forever.

Jeff
  • ogr81ogr81 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2003 Saab Linear and have had no trouble with the car or service. I absolutely love the car. Just last week a semi truck backed into me, he only stopped after he felt the impact--and it only left a small line on my bumper. I've found this car to be the safest, most fuel efficient, comfortable car I've ever owned, and for the money,I can't think of another car right now I'd trade it for. I realize many people on the forum have had problems- frankly, if I did, I would probably post it on a forum as a warning for others as too. The purpose of my post is simply for those who may be considering purchasing a 9-3...there are plenty of satisfied owners out there!
    But judging by the posts ... and my own experience with the post-GM 9-3 ... and Consumer Reports, the odds are against you with the 9-3.

GM deserves its poor reputation.
    Hello -

I had a question about the rear windows on our 2006 Saab 93, we bought the car in January of this year, and the rear windows go down from the driver's seat with one touch, yet they do not go up with one touch, I have to hold the window buttons up to bring them up.

Is this the way the windows work???...I was thinking that they would come up on one touch since the go down on one touch...please advise...

Regards,
    Sunny
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Does the manual discuss it?

IMHO, not allowing one touch from the front makes sense since you can't see if there is anything obstructing the window travel.
  • jbmike5jbmike5 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the market for a 9-3. There appears to be a lot of 2003 9-3's in my area with low mileage (30K or less). I am looking for some advice of whether to purchase one of these '03's or one of the newer models.
  • 99saab99saab Member Posts: 1
    So I just purchased a 1999 Saab 9-3 that is in excelent shape except for the vent selector switch, its constantly blowing air on the floor. I was wondering if you all had and suggestions on where the problem might be located, and or how to fix it? thanks
    drew
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The 2003's were the first year of the current model, and they had more problems than the current ones do. They also don't have some of the improvements made later. E.g. they have less power, don't have an aux jack, etc.

I'd get the repair history of an '03 and have it checked out realy closely. I leased one, and had the usual assortment of issues. Made worse by a weak dealer service department (Barrier Saab in Bellevue, now defunct, though the Barrier dealership chain is weak in service in general). I did enjoy the vehicle when it wasn't giving me problems and when I overlooked the weak ride quality, however.
  • 1viking1viking Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 9-3 rag top, and love the car with one exception. The check engine seems to come on for no appearent reason. The car runs fine even with the light on.

I took it to a dealer who gave me the impression that it has to do with the gas cap, he tighted it and the light went out. However that doesn't seem to work all the time.

Any of you have the same issue?
    Thanks
    Make sure the car is off when filling w gas.
  • rocharcrocharc Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2003 ARC, all the windows open and close with one touch moon roof too). Occasionally after the dealer futzes with the car the one touch needs to be re-programmed. You do this by cycling the window up and down rapidly for 2 -3 times in a row. I am assuming that the anti-pinch features in the 2003 are still there in the 2006. What this also means is that if you have comfort open on your key fob (all windows and roof open by holding down the open button) you can(should) get comfort close by holding the lock button. This needs to be programmed by the dealer.

Check the manual to see if these functions are supported. It works great except if the roof is in tilt position it will not open or shut, but the windows still do.
    If you fuel the car with the car running or if you do not tighten the gas cap securely the check engine light will come on.This is not unique to Saab,it is a by-product of E.P.A.regulations which consider fumes leaking from the gas tank as an environmental hazard.If there is not a solid vacuum measured by your e.c.u.the check engine light comes on,you have to take it back to the dealer and they have to keep a record of the occurance and what caused the fault code.
    FORBES rates the SAAB 9-3 as one of the least reliable luxury cars for 2006.

Yeah, GM has really had a beneficial impact on SAAB, making it just another GM "brand."

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/vehicles/2006/07/28/luxury-cars-breakdowns_cx_d- l_0731reliable.html

"Saab, a General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ) brand that made our list with its 9-3, objected to the ranking. A Saab spokesman says the company's internal data show that the most recent Saab 9-3s "have very good quality results," and that labeling the car "unreliable" paints the wrong picture for potential buyers."

Obviously there is something wrong with GM's data gathering (perhaps upper management "shoots the messenger") for they don't seem to know what the rest of the outside world knows!
    thx for the infor, when i hold down the open button, only my front two windows and roof open, so when you hold your open button, do all four windows open as well as the roof???...

side note, the dealer recommends changing your oil every 10k, have you noticed anything with waiting that long???...i was thinking more along the lines of 7500.
    Blessedly the lease on my 2003 9-3 ended last February, so I'm finally free of that car.

It's a shame, before that I had leased a 2000 SAAB 9-5 that was a wonderful car, so much so that my wife got a 2002 9-5 (which we bought out after that lease).

The 9-5's are wonderful cars but, alas, were designed before GM took 100% control of SAAB. So the 9-5's are the last "good" SAAB's - the car magazines are reporting that (like the 9-3) all future SAAB's will be badge-engineered GM vehicles (mostly rebadged Opels).
    Sorry for the delay, Yes all 4 windows and the roof open or close depending on which button I hold down. If the roof is in tilt position it does not move but the windows still do their thing.

I change my oil at 7,500 if my memory serves me I have had 2 free and 2 oil changes I paid for. I am due for my last free as I approach 3 years. I also tend to drive "aggressively" heavy right foot syndrome.
  • liguor60liguor60 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all..I didn't notice anyone posting about this, so i'll ask.

When changing the rear brake pads, does the cylinder need to be rotated when being pushed into the caliper? I know my old VW required this. I noticed two little holes on the piston which gave me this impression. Anyone have any thoughts or know where I can find the answer to this dilemma (short of buying the repair manual).
    Thanks in advance.
    Hello again -

Sorry for the multiple emails, but I went to the dealer and they are 100% useless, when I asked them to check the back windows for one-touch they came back to me and told me that it is working as designed and to look at page 132 in the manual which doesn't tell me anything. Anyway, I was wondering if you can put me in touch with location or person who fixed your car so all your windows work with one-touch both up and down.

Regards,
    Sunny
    I had my car worked on at Dorschel Saab in Rochester NY I also have a 2003 so that may make a difference. try rapidly cycling the windows up and down and see if that doesn't activate the one touch feature. Also don't be afraid to email Saab through the US website. I had a question 3 years ago that they answered pretty quickly and it was a feature issue.

Good Luck
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I bought an '05 9-3 in June 2005. No problems. Not one. I have about 14k miles on it, and it has been a good car. As good as any I have ever had, and better than several. Its comfortable, stylish, gets decent mpg, and is fast enuf for me. I also paid well under $25k for it, and got good treatment on my trade-in from the dealer. All in all, very good so far.
  • DonluceDonluce Member Posts: 41
    I am getting ready to order a 2007 9-3 with premium package, but can not decide on the 16 or 17 inch wheels and tires.

What are the advantages of 17 wheels and tires, and are they worth a extra $200.00?

(1) Are the 17 inch wheels better looking?
    (2) Do the 17 inch wheels and tires have better handling?
    (3) Do the 17 inch wheels and wider tires give a better smoother ride?

(4) Do the 17 inch Wheels and wider tires have less road noise?
    (5) Do the 17 inch wheels and tires give better milage?
    (6) Do the 17 inch wheels and tires have better tread life?
    (7) Finally, are they worth a extra $200.00?
  • skysaabskysaab Member Posts: 32
    Hello ogr81. Nice to hear good new from you too. I have 03' 9-3 Linear too and running very well since 2002 november. some bad experiences for my car were to hit by Buick, a mid size truck and wolf on the front door. But it only make me feel it's the safest car in the world. because the only bigger damage was from the wolf. cost me a new front door becasue the bodyshope couldn't fix the dang on the door. other car accident suprised me all only damage those front and rear bumper. I know it sad to see CR name 03' 9-3 is the worst car SAAB made. But mine is running very well for almost 60k. I definitely will keep this car until 2008 when the onstar is not working on this car more. :)
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    Hi, just a bit of information I learned the hard way. My 2004 ARC Conv(18K Miles). wouldn't start after having run perfectly. AAA couldn't jump start it, Saab roadside assistance came by to tow car, put jumpers on and it started :confuse:
    Put battery on charge overnight, Sun AM it wont start again. Car got towed to dealer, who gave me a new SportCombi loaner off the lot (enterprise rental all closed). Picked up car Mon with new battery. Dealer explanation, all '03' & 04's shipped with a known cheap "2 year batteries" replaced under warranty if it goes bad. New battery is better quality should go 4-5 years.
    Bottom line, SAAB of South Bay :D bent over backwards for me. GM rolls the dice on batteries :mad: , failure is very strange, battery doesn't get weaker, it just fails completely, no dim lights, or slow cranking. To jump the car requires best quality cables and heavy duty battery and alternator, but battery wont hold any charge at all. Also dont believe the status window on the battery, mine showed it to be OK!
    Sorry for long posting but this type of battery failure came as a surprise to me
  • scubadscubad Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I,m new to this so bear with me - I have a 1yr Old 9-3 Vector Sport 150 tid Auto. The car is great apart from when you initially put your foot down especially in situations where you need to go quickly - roundabouts,junctions u-tuns etc. there is a noticeable delay in applying the throttle and anything happening. I have had it back to the dealer three times in the last 3 months and even after it's first sevice there is no difference and the dealer maintains they can't find anything wrong - including updating engine management software etc. Away from a standstill there is no shortage of power or acceleration it's just the initial start - unlike a manual car you can't rev it and slip the clutch a bit - even selecting semi auomatic doesn't make any difference - Anybody else got this problem or any solutions ?
    Will some one PLEASE give me some help.

Thanks,

Don Luce
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    Go to:

www.tirerack.com

There may be information to answer your questions about tires and wheels. Hope this helps

goodstar
    (1) Maybe
    (2) Yes, greater contact patch
    (3) Maybe
    (4) No, see (2)
    (5) No, more aerodynamic drag
    (6) Maybe
    (7) Yes, if your answer to (1) is yes
    Unfortunately you aren't going to get much help from us on this side of the pond.That engine is stictly European spec.and not available in the U.S.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2006 9-3 and so far it seems OK. Is the interior as tight as I would like NO..., but the engine, suspension and 5 speed manual make the car fun to drive. Most importantly I like the styling. When you buy a car you take a chance, but you buy it because you "like it". You like the way it looks and like the way it drives. You just hope that you get a good one.

If you read the message boards you find plenty of unhappy customers of all makes.
  • marco5marco5 Member Posts: 1
    My SID 2001 SAAB 9-3 SE is missing pixels. new pixels disappear every day. sometimes they reappear and dissapper. i have noticed a similar problem starting on the climate control display too.

What's up with that? Does anybody have any quick fixes for novice car tinkerer? Is this a known problem that is worth fixing?
  • stefan_belgiumstefan_belgium Member Posts: 17
    IF the 17" are wider (99%likely)
    then :
    1-better looking
    2-better handling when dry, same to worse handling in the rain
    3-harsher ride
    4-more road noise
    5-increased fuel consumption
    6-shorter thread life
    7-yes for the look and better dry handling, no for everything else.
    What size and make are the tires supplied as standard equiptment on the 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T sedan, and on the Saab 9-3 Aero. Pirelli P215/55R16 P6 Four Seasons on the 2.0T Sedan? Pirelli P235/45R17 P-Zero on the Aereo?

Thanks,

Don Luce
  • twood95816twood95816 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 9-3 SE Conv. The Check Engine light has been on continuously now. Randomly, the temp gauge shuts off and the A/C goes off with it. I have replaced the Coolant Temp Sender and checked those lines. I have flushed the radiator and have no remedy. Anyone have any other thoughts? :confuse:
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    Yes, I had this exact same thing happen to me last summer at around 18-20 months on my '04 9-3 Arc. The worst part was that Saab's so-called "roadside assistance program" would only tow the car to the nearest dealer (even though my dealer was probably no farther than third closest) and would not provide a loaner. Since it was a Sunday and I was out of town that meant the car had to be towed so that it was actually further from my home, compounding the inconvenience factor.

I was very unimpressed by both the benefits of, and the attitude of, Saab's roadside assistance group in this circumstance. Coupled with an 18 month old, 30K plus car stranding us, numerous electrical/SID/alarm phantoms, defective keys (finally recalled), a glove box that no longer opens, defective window pinch protection, dead sunroof and embarrassingly noisy brakes when backing they can't or won't fix I can say Saab won't be getting any repeat business here-you can't sell someone both the most expensive and least reliable car of their lives and expect them to come back for more.
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    Sorry to hear about your problems. It sounds as though the roadside assistance and loaner program is dependant upon where you live. I am in Southern CA and have nothing but good things to say about South Bay SAAB. I didn't go into all the details but the dealer even opened up the service lot specially for me for the tow truck to drop the car off (the service facility is 3 m from sales office and normally closed on Sunday), and I didn't even buy the car at this dealer! I will admit however to being dissapointed at the electronics in the SAAB, were they made by Smiths of England? I too have had a few false alarms. But having traded in a Mazda RX8 for the ARC, I am still better off.
  • bsmith222bsmith222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero and it is an electrical nightmare! The car is so unreliable that it makes me sick. I have had the same problems over and over again with the windows and cd player. JMK Saab in Springfield, NJ is absolutely worthless. DO NOT BUY OR LEASE FROM THEM THEY ARE SCAM ARTISTS. "Joe" in the service department is extremely rude and arrogant and I dont think he knows anything about cars. Saab USA is reviewing my current situation and I have asked for them to buy the car back. Ill keep you all posted as soon as I hear from them
  • sock1sock1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently in the market for a new car. My current vehicle...a Honda CRV...has been great...but now that it has reached 100K, I'm beginning to review other options, especially since my daily commute involves roughly 90 miles each day (I don't really like the design of the new CRV). In sum, I'll looking for a quiet, comfortable, fun to drive car with a few luxury touches, which leads me to consider a Saab. I find the car attractive and the pricing, especially for leftover 2006 models, is very competitive.

But as the bard might say, there's the rub. I have never seen a car with such a polarized group of drivers. You either love the car or hate it immensely. My cousin, for one, an owner of a 9-5, considers his car a complete piece of junk, and says all Saabs contain a congenital defect that can cause the engine to suddenly seize at any speed. It also appears that the 2003 and 2004 9-3s clearly had its share of "teething" pains, which hopefully have been corrected by now.

I recognize there is no perfect car (I once owned a Pontiac Sunbird, for instance), but I do need something that is at least reliable. Please share with me your thoughts, good or bad, regarding the 9-3, to help me make my decision (I'm also considering a Volvo S60 and maybe a Subaru Outback).

Thanks.