Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Warranty I presume (hope). At least you found it quickly.
  • hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    Yes warranty (just under 2K from 50K).... phew! Not comfortable with the long time reliability of this car, have had so many issues in just 2.5 years.
  • phabeinphabein Member Posts: 6
    Before buying a 2007, check out the spy pictures of the 2008 93, said to be out this summer, in worldcarfans.com. Pretty substantial exterior changes, all for the good. Plus an AWD version is due in September or shortly thereafter.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    Saab and Volvo are very popular in CT and the North East in general. I think it would be hard for Saab to break into the West coast market. Do you see more Volvos? If yes, than GM and Saab need to do more work selling the product. If no, then they are doing what they need to and work on selling cars in the most lucrative markets like the North East. I see more Saabs than Ponitacs where I live, Saab is a very popular and desirable car. I agree buying a car near where you live for servicing is a big plus. Fortunately where I live there are 2 very good Saab dealerships close by.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    Hey.. if you can afford it just dump the car. Yes I know it's easy spending other peoples money, but you don't want to go down the path of diminishing returns. My experience has been if the car is problematic at the 1st 50K then it will get worse at the next 50K. Trade it while it's worth something and cut your losses. I had to do that with my 2002 Bonnevile and was glad I did.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    " My experience has been if the car is problematic at the 1st 50K then it will get worse at the next 50K."

Mirror that. Either extend the warranty through saab, or trade it. Isn't it worth it to not worry?
  • andygrvandygrv Member Posts: 8
    I am just returning my lease and will never get one. My Neighbour has 9-3 and she has the same opnion. Bad service, the dealerships in California are basically and extension of cadillac dealership. Brakes need replacing every $25,000 miles and $500 bucks per axel. Everything falls apart. I had about 4 rcalls and the dealership loans me a Cavaliar from enterprise rental everytime I go there.
    If you buy a BMW you drive a BMW when it is in the shop.
    Use your own judgement before you buy or lease one.
    And the lease return, They give you a book and make you go through every nik and dent plus there the $350 recovery fee. Also they had a check to that asked me if took got all the recalls fixed. Good way to make to leasees fix your car while they are making payments. Love the customer service.

As I was returing the car, I asked dealership if they are going to buy the car from SAAB. The dealership said they are not interested because they have a very bad resale and SAAB ends up picking them up autioning them off.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I think it all depends on the dealer. I brought my car to different dealers for service and I noticed I had much better experience with "Saab-only" dealers. I think the Cadallic/Saab dealers are the worse. The service guys are more "GM-mind".

Now I have ALL my Saabs in a Saab-only dealer. The service guys over there have better skills and knowledge about my Saabs. They are very professional too.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Now I have ALL my Saabs in a Saab-only dealer. The service guys over there have better skills and knowledge about my Saabs.

Agree. My dealer once had a service writer who, upon hearing the symptoms of an easily fixable problem, would sometimes fix it himself out in the parking lot, charging me only for parts. The mixed brand places tend to make a big deal out of everything. If GM plans to cohabit Saab and Caddy -- as I've sometimes read on the 'Net -- they have some customer relations training to do, I think.
  • skmcesskmces Member Posts: 6
    I just got back from Saab to have my service and front fly wheel sensor corrected due to the recall. When I got back in the car, I noticed it was beeping after I crossed 55mph. It didn't do that before. I do not want to go back to have them fix this, has anyone had this issue before???

If so how do you fix it?

Regards,
    Sunny
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Check your speed warning. It beeps continuously above the set speed.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Saab could save $85.00 per car by simply removing one of the most totally overlooked and unused pieces of standard equipment that comes with all models......."THE OWNERS MANUAL!!!!!!!"
  • saabhistorysaabhistory Member Posts: 7
    Folks,

The SCNA & SCUSA have put together a truly excelent 2007 Saab Festival Travel Program for U.S. Residents to get to the Saab Festival.

Please take a look at this link for more details http://www.saabhistory.com/2007/03/06/saab-festival-travel-program-scna-saab-usa- - /
  • sweetseetsweetseet Member Posts: 9
    Your speed warning is set to 55mph. This is a feature that you can set to warn you if you start speeding. You can change this through your display by your speedometer using the controls on your steering wheel, also in your manual.
    Select info button and toggle with up arrow until you see speed warning 55* - change by clearing.

Good luck.
  • hbc75hbc75 Member Posts: 37
    I finally traded my '04 9-3 Arc Sedan. I have to say, I am relieved. The car did have quarky things go wrong, and all were replaced under warranty in my 2.5 years of owning it. Great gas mileage, by far the best out there, but the depreciation of this vehicle, disgusts me. :P I paid 27, it stickered at 32k, and in 2.5 years with 51k miles, i was offered on trades from 10k to 12k. :sick: I just traded it tonight, and got 13k for the trade, which I was EXTREMELY pleased with. I couldn't have off loaded it faster, since I got a great price for my new vehicle and the numbers worked for me. At any rate, best of luck to all with your Saab's.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Your post tells me a lot between the lines. Seems to me that you paid way too much for the car on day one. Sure, ostensibly Saabs depreciate like a rock thrown into a millpond IFF measured against MSRP. But, since Saabs sell (or more commonly, lease) for way under MSRP the re-sale isn't too bad. Getting 10K off on a loaded 9-3 is neither unheard of nor hard to do. Seems to me also that you enjoyed your Saab, it got good gas mileage and the warranty protected you. Is there a problem here?
    $10,000 Off on a new loaded 9-3!Really?...Where and when might I ask?A 9-3 2.0T,AT.,SR.Cold Pkg.,Premium 16Pkg.and Audio upgrade lists out at $33,335,and has app.$1,300 mark up over dealer invoice.On a purchase using conventional finance rates you currently have a $3,000 rebate.So lets assume you drive a hard bargain and buy something out of stock and get the car for $500 under invoice....you're looking at savings of $4,800.00.IF you are General Motors employee program eligible and also a current Saab owner that could max out at $6,500.Thats along way from $10k!
    Regarding depreciation,first off when a manufacturer only sells 40,000 cars a year,all models incl., you are not even accounting for 1/2 of 1% of the sales per yr. in the U.S.This low demand in the new car market leads to a concomitant low demand in the pre-owned market and is a large reason for Saabs low re-sale values.It also is one of the reasons the smart shopper leases the car ...unless they plan on driving the car until the wheels fall off.I rarely appraise a Saab 9-5 with less than 70,000 miles on it and regularly look at 9000's in the 150k.range.Your biggest mistake was purchasing a car you apparently only planned on keeping for 3 years. Leasing is a very simple way to take the fact that ALL cars lose the most value in their first 3 years of ownership and turn it around in your favor.
    see my post above...you are also conveniently overlooking that normal mileage on a 2 1/2 yr.old car is app.28-30,000 miles.Your cars mileage is equal to that of a 4+ yr.old car and your trade-in was relective of that.
    Your post and its logic baffles me. Let me start with my claim that 10K off list is not unheard of. A new Saab 9-3 Aero with some optional equipment has a Moroney of close to 40K. Find one with low demo miles (if the dealer principal is a car guy this is his personal car) and you are into this thing for 8K to 10K off list. A 23 year old kid in my neighborhood bought one just like this from a Boston Saab dealer for 10K off list last week.

Secondly, low new unit sales when has nothing to do with resale. Nothing at all. New Porsche 911 sales are very low yet the car has perhaps the highest resale value in North America. Saabs low resale value is caused by many things (e.g., sales are localized in the Northeast, poor reputation, marginal dealer body, etc. etc.) but not low sales. Saab supposedly has a low resale value but I think this is because it is measured incorrectly. Saab historically has huge factory discounts/lease deals. Much more than the competition. If you compute Saab resale as a percentage of actual transaction price, not MSRP it may not be all that bad.

Finally, I've made many mistakes in life, but certainly one of them was not "... was purchasing a car you apparently only planned on keeping for 3 years." I've never purchased/leased/borrowed a Saab. Period.
  • gholstgholst Member Posts: 2
    I couldn't agree more with the feeling of relief after unloading an '04 9-3 Aero Sedan. The pain of steep depreciation was worth it to get out of a constant nightmare cycle of going to the dealer with endless problems. And a warranty is small comfort when it becomes a game of who will give up trying to fix all of the problems first, you or the dealer. I think the reason for low resale is obvious enough.
    As some one who actually sells Saabs for a living...I repeat,you cannot buy a NEW, previously UNTITLED Saab 9-3 of any model with a discount of $10,000 off M.S.R.P. I repeat....CANNOT!Saab provides an additional subsidy of $1,000 for a service courtesy car after service of at least 120 days, they provide no subsidy for dealer demos.This would still fall far short of your claimed $10,000. Now here's one point: some dealers title and register Demos for dealer Principals and executives.These cars now are not technically "new" cars....they are titled and sold as used cars,regardless of the fact they are current model year and not "pre-owned " in the usual sense. the selling price would then be impacted on how they deal with cost write-offs internally for tax and other purposes.Once again,even if this is the case,it only applies to a small handful of available cars and is the huge exception ...not the rule as you claim.
    I unfortunately combined my reply to the original poster and you into one message....didn't mean to confuse you on purpose.
    You clearly know more than I. Let me, though, post a link sometime this winter to ads offerring '07 Saabs at 10K off list.
    We finally agree on one point ...I clearly do know more than you about what you can buy a Saab for in light of the fact that that is what I do for 48+ hours a week.The future post you refer to I assume is based on the fact that,yes ...for about 6 weeks at the end of the year and into January you COULD purchase a Saab 9-5(REPEAT:SAAB 9-5!!!!!) and save as much as $10,000.That amount included $2,000 available ONLY to current Saab owners.I sold a 9-5 to a client at that savings.The same client wanted to purchase a Saab 9-3,not unlike the model you referred to when you started this thread, and put off the purchase when she found out that I could only save her app.$7,000 on that model.Please understand....I sincerely do not care it in fact you think Saabs are the biggest pieces of junk in the automotive universe!If that were your opinion you would be entitled to it and God bless you.....but we are talking facts in this case ,not opinions and until you get your facts straight please try and understand the difference between the two.
  • fmkgbfmkgb Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I'm considering leasing a 2007 9-3 2.0T sedan and would appreciate input from any Saab owners. Previously I've had a C class Mercedes. I'm looking for a good solid reliable car but lower payments than Mercedes. I don't know anyone who currently has a Saab but have spoken with a few people who had Saabs years ago and loved them. What I'm reading on the web & various forums though is that there currently are a lot of issues with Saab in terms of quality control and Saabs needing a lot of repairs. Even though they will be covered by the warranty it is an inconvenience and I know nothing about the quality of service provided by the only Saab dealer nearby. Mercedes also had a lot of quality control problem but my dealer was sensational so it was not a real problem. Do all new cards have such quality problems these days (except Honda) or is this unusual. Also, the Saab I'm considering leasing is a demo with 2500 miles. Do you think the demo (versus a new Saab) is the wrong way to go? It is only a 27 mo least so it will be covered by the warranty and eligble for the free maintenance. Payments are about $50/mo lower than for a new comperable Saab. Any timely input would be greatly appreciated. I need to grab this demo if I decide to go this route.
  • jesses1jesses1 Member Posts: 9
    Unfortunately, almost all car reliability is a matter of luck. After all, even the Toyota dealer near me has a service and parts department. My 2006 9-3 2.0t has 20000 miles on it, and since I do a lot of stop-and-go I just change the oil every 5K miles and not the 10K in the manual. So far everything is good. Most fun car I ever owned.
    The overlooked aspect of reliability ratings of cars is the fact that future reliability of current model year cars is largely based on the history of that model in the previous 3 to 4 model years.This presupposes the idea that the manufacturer has done nothing in the subsequent model years to address the problems which caused the reliability issue.This is particularly relevant in the case of the Saab 9-3.This model was introduced in 2003 with the same name as the previous 4 model years but was in fact a complete and total redesign of every single element of the car.The first 18 months or so were classic examples of perhaps bringing the model to market prematurely and it became a "lets work out the kinks as we go" scenario.This is largely what these negative reliability ratings are based on.If possible find someone who is driving an '05 or "06 model and get their take on their experience with their cars reliability.My opinion regarding the demo is that it is a very practical way to save money on your lease payment.What difference does it make if your car has 27,000 miles at lease end or 29,500?Plus the car has had a 2,500 mile pre- delivery shake-down cruise for any initial issues,if any,to be dealt with.
  • nishonbarunishonbaru Member Posts: 39
    2006 SAAB 9-3 2.0t Black with grey interior. 11,000+- miles, Auto. $18,900. The warrenty would still be good. What about the free scheduled maintenance?

Thanks
  • autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    Saab is a high performance sport car. Super fast and fun thanks to its jet inspired, the most efficient of its kind turbo-charged engine, providing exceptional overtaking performance.

In fact, the limited (MY99-02) 9-3 Viggen's engine is nearly 12 percent more efficient at producing horsepower per liter of engine displacement than the 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera. More importantly, the Viggen is a full 52 percent more efficient at producing lb.-ft. of torque per liter of engine displacement.

No other competitors come close in performance (not even a BMW can keep up with a Saab on the open highway) Although many Saab owners are conservative in nature, those who are more adventurous fall in love with their Saab's performance when it comes to overtaking or passing ability. The pure and smooth acceleration of the turbo rush is a marvel to be discovered for any car enthusiast.

Saab cars are also extremely safe and undoubtedly one of the safest cars on the road that money can buy. Winning the Top Safety Pick - Gold Award from American IIHS for the past 3 years.

As for reliability, just last December a salesman from Wisconsin retired his million mile 1989 Saab 900 SPG to a museum. Saab Cars USA quickly followed with a campaign to give a free new Saab to any U.S. customer who covers the distance of one million miles (or more) in a Saab that he or she originally purchased new.
    Drive a Million Mile, Get a FREE Saab

If you have never owned a Saab you have never experienced the fun and joy of driving a high performance vehicle. Don't take my word for it, schedule a test flight at your local dealer then come back and post your experience on this forum.

A very happy and satisfied owner of '02 Saab 93 SE Convertible and '02 Saab 95

PS. Saaber is a Saab enthusiast or owner
    "high performance sports car???" "If you have never owned a Saab you have never experienced the fun and joy of driving a high performance vehicle.??

I'm sorry, but "high performance sports car" reserved for porsches, (newer) vettes, ferarris, m3's, etc. Those owners aren't missing out by not having driven 9-3's.

For some time i had both a bmw and a saab, both had almost exactly the same hp/torque ratings. The bmw out-accelerated the saab in 80% of situations, and outhandled it in as near to 100% of them as i can figure. One time when i had been driving the bmw for a few months, i drove the saab down a windy road i drove a lot. I slowed down by about 20% from my usual speed and nearly ended up in the weeds on the first turn. I had not remembered how badly the car understeered.

I know you're enamored with highway passing, but "no competitor comes close" doesn't even apply in that area. Any car saab puts out is going to get roasted by a 335i, g37, c350 in passing tests.

Agree on safety, but one million-mile car does not reliability make. That demonstrates longevity.
    Somehow US consumers are less educated about Saab, in Europe Saab is very well-known as reliable, safe and high performance vehicles.

I don't think any four-door sport sedan out there can outperformed or outhandled a Saab. "No competitor comes close" ... might be an overstatement, but those that are in the same league as Saab are few and rare.

Take a look at the Saab Performance Team
    http://www2.saabusa.com/performancedriveteam/default.asp

And Saab Aero Performance Series
    http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/aeroperformance/index.jsp

Don't take mine or anyone word of how good or bad a Saab is.
    I encourage you to do the research, take a test flight, see the Saab Performance Team if you have a chance and see for yourself what a born from Jets vehicle really is.

Also go to You Tube and search for Saab
    You'll find a great archive of videos with Saab outperforming Ferraris, and even video of Saab outruns motorcycle

Have fun and enjoy your test flight!
    "I don't think any four-door sport sedan out there can outperformed or outhandled a Saab."

*rolls eyes*

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10384/2005-saab-9-3-aero.html
    You post a link to Car and Drivers comparison test.How can that test have any credibility?They post a 198ft.stopping distance for the Aero and just blithely state maybe there was a "malfunction". They then struggle to even get the BMW started and try to perform a 70-to 0 stop which results in an alm0st 360 degree spinout due to faulty ABS.How do they address this glaring flaw?They simply use braking data for a different model from a previous test! Totally bogus and also totally indicative of the BMW bias that their magazine has fostered for decades!
    I don't see how that is bias. They know the car can stop in that distance because the exact same one did so in a previous test. Someone could say they are biased FOR the saab by 'blithely' saying that the 198 foot braking distance must be due to a malfunction. I think people generally claim bias when there's data they want to ignore. "Oh, well, that would ruin my point.. Oh, i know, the source is biased!"

In any case, i was responding to the claim that the 9-3 will blow away any 4-door car in performance... While i think as a package saabs are pretty good values, the idea they're going to torch any other 4-door car is weird.
    For those who've never experienced the glory of Saab high performance turbo...
    According to Top Gear BBC's reivew of Saab.
    "Don't mind BMW or Mercedes, Saab Aero does 40-70mph faster than Porsche 911 Turbo."

Everyday driving condition is not how fast you can accelerate from 0-60mph. The heart, glory and joy of Saab is power and performance in everyday driving 40-70mph, 50-75mph etc. This is where Saab does it better than any cars, even better than Porsche 911 Turbo (that means BMW and Mercedes stand no chance against Saab in highway passing situation)

For the car enthusiasts the sheer overtaking power of Saab is truely special.

Why Saab a BBC's Review
    Watch the last minute of the video!
    Hehe, you don't want them to watch the whole video? Why not? Don't want to have them hear clarkson trash the car for seven minutes? :) Or where it gets beaten around the track by the honda civic and almost every other car tested? That is in the video too, ya know. How does having almost the worst track time tested fit into your "performance" argument?

Here's the top gear power board with the 9-5 test:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps

note that many of these tests were on a wet track, some even "very wet" or icy. But the 9-5 was o na bone-dry track.

You've also got your sole fact for the car wrong. It's not faster than a 911 turbo 40-70, it's faster when doing the pull *in second gear* . A 911turbo ( as well as a 3 series ) need a 2-3 shift ~60mph, so you can't even do a 40-70 test in second. But in an automatic or if you shift, that won't be the result.

But lest you think i'm just trashing, saab is on my "next car" list. I think it's comfy, safe, has some nice features, and is priced well.
    Yes, watch the whole video again.
    Most of the video is about Saab is a car and jet is a jet. A car can never outperforms a jet...well that's a surprise. He is not trashing the car by making Saab vs Jet comparisons. No matter how you explain/twist it, Saab does 40-70mph faster than Porsche 911 Turbo period. If Saab can do this kind of pull in second gear, look like a Porsche or Corvette has a lot of catch up to do once a Saab is shifted into its 3rd or 4th gear :)

The most impressive fact? Saab gives you this kind of performance with a 4 cylinder engine, front-wheel drive in a sedan form.

As for the Power Laps tests they clearly state their results as...
    "These lap times do not offer entirely reliable comparisons between the cars - the conditions are far from controlled."

Again the heart and soul of Saab is not 0-60mph tests or racetrack time. This is not practical real-life driving performance or situation.

Cars are driven by people not racetrack driver. Hop on the freeway, and if the situation is truely necessary, Saab can overtake any cars, even Porsche or BMW, surely and safely.
  • getty813getty813 Member Posts: 7
    My husband and I are looking at a 2003 9-3 Linear with upgrades of 17inch wheels, 6 cd changer, power moonroof, power driver seat and electrochromatic rear view with 36,000 miles on it for $14,900. If we get it we will get the 4 year 60,000 mile warranty for another $2500. It is a lease turned in EARLY. After doing my research I was really looking for a 2004, because of all the electrical issues with the 2003's. But this car looks and drives fab, however I have done the research so while my heart is saying buy, my mind is saying no way. Thoughts??
    I'm not clear on the extended warranty--they usually operate from the point the car was originally purchased, and there's already a 4 year 50K mile warranty on the car. If the car is "certified" by saab, it will extend the warranty to 6 years or 100K miles, and that ought to be less than $2,500

Just make sure it's the genuine gm/saab warranty in any case.
    the car was bought on may 30, 2003 so the original warranty is up may 30, 2007- if we buy now, the car is still covered under the originial warrany so we would extend the current warranty (which i assume is gm/saab) another 4years or 60,000 miles which would cover everything but battery, brakes and the radio. just not sure we want to invest in a 2003 9-3 given all the discussions here about electrical problems...
  • ogr81ogr81 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 9-3 Linear and have had no electrical problems to-date. In fact, the only thing I had to have replaced under warranty was the driver's side window tract. My car was produced late in the model year, and it sounds like the one you're considering purchasing was as well. I venture to say they had many of the bugs worked out by late '03...just my $>.02.
    thanks for your message!
    I'm sure the current warranty is GM/SAAB but i'd make sure the extened warranty is. The issue is, if it's a third-party warranty, they have much more latitude to deny your claim, or try to shortchange the work, so some repair shops won't deal with them. If it's the GM warranty, it's their car, and they want to keep their customer happy.

I wonder, because your numbers sound weird. Another 4 years and 60K miles would make it a 8 year 110K mile warranty total, and i don't think GM has a plan like that.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/coverage_choice.html

Somewhere else on these forums, i saw a link for dealer who sells GM extended warranties very cheaply. Ask around. Make sure to ask about the deductable, too.
    I don't think it's a third party (will ask tomorrow). Because the car is still under the original warranty until Thursday, we have the option to extend that warranty 4 years, 60,000 miles with a $200 deductible for $2573.

just not sure we should do the 2003- perhaps wait for a 2004 9-3 or 9-5 with low miles to come down the road...with all the electrical discussions not sure if it is a good money choice...
    My general thought is that if you're at all nervous it's good to wait. Few things are worse than thinking "Arrgh, i knew it!!" And, i'm always leery of buying an early-model-run car, no matter what it is, especially if it's been traded in with somewhat low miles. :/

Also, i think the 9-5 isn't a bad idea. Aside from handling, i think it's a preferable to the 9-3, and it's well sorted out by this point.
    If the car is being offered as a Saab Certified used car your total coverage is 6 years or 100,000 miles from date of original warranty coverage. If that date was in fact May 30th,2003 your coverage would run until May 30th of 2009 or 100,000 miles whichever comes first.Pricing of the car seems very fair,however the dealer is marking up the certified warranty by more than double his cost.The warranty is more fairly priced at $1,500 to $1,700....cost to him is $1,199.00.
    huh, good feedback. we will bring this up to them tomorrow...i was wondering where they got that 2500 figure from...it seemed a bit off to us.
  • philpvillephilpville Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have an '03 Linear with 53,000 miles on it. At about 10,000 miles or so, I did have some wierd issues that were covered by warranty and repaired. Specifically, the fan and air conditioning would just stop functioning completely. It (I think the fan motor?) was replaced three times and finally they got it right. Also, like one other person in this string, my driver's side window stopped functioning at 52,000 miles -- out of warranty, but the dealer covered this as a courtesy.

Good car overall, you'll like it.
    thanks for the feedback...we were on the phone with the dealer most of the day yesterday- he dropped the warranty to $1900 from $2500 and really wanted to sell us the car (he said to get off the lot,etc). We also had a copy of the service record, most everything was under warranty. But we decided to hold off for a 2004 CPO'd- so we shall see what comes in!
    Ok, we passed on the 2003 9-3, just seemed to be too much negative energy about it and no CPO'd option. Now we have the option of the following:
    2004 9-3 Arc, 34,600 titan grey, $18,900 with CPO
    2004 9-3 Linear, 32,000, white, no sunroof, $15,900 with CPO

Everyone's comments last time around were really helpful...thoughts? Both are priced a couple thousand less thant Edmund's TMV.
    An '04 Arc in Titan Grey? That color wasn't offered until 2007.