Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Yes. And of that figure, 1,427 were Linear 9-3s. Add the Arc and Vector to the mix and 9-3s should go over 20k for the year.
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I sent email/fax to various Chicago Saab dealers (including Exchange and Patrick). Exchange gave me better quote. I got a 2001 9-3 from Exchange. I had service at Patrick one time and was very disappointed. It is a combined Cadallic and Saab site. It's liked an old-fashion GM site.

Now I always bring my car back to Exchange even though they are quiet far away from my home because it is a big SAAB ONLY site. The site is beautiful, large, and more up-scale. It is not liked a "local" dealership. Service people there are nice and knowledge. I always reserve a loaner car for major services. I got a new 9-5 one time.
  • had2plus1had2plus1 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased Saab 9-3
    Linear-Launch, Touring, Heated seats, Auto -$27.6K +TTL, put me in the low 29's drive-out. (end of month purchase Jan)
    VERY Nice Car..I wonder how long its gonna take to figure out all the quirks everyone talks about.
    Compared to A4 1.8t CVT, Passat GLX auto.
    Price point for all were 28K. Germans have the transmission down, both were way smoother than the 9-3 (turbo lag/sentronic-fraction slow to shift at times), but if I'm correct the transmission on the 9-3 is also from germany. Interior styling was highest in the Passat. A4 best overall handling. I felt though the 9-3 had everything else though, plus the deal. Definitely exterior styling, safey rating and technical amenities more in the 9-3. It's always good to be a little different too. Basically it was splitting hairs on which one.
    Thanks for all the info and tips...I think I got a pretty good deal. I might try this next time too...I cold called the finance guy to explain lease options, GM Smartbuy etc. etc. then inadvertently found out about the discounts....still not sure I got all of 'em but I think they only made minimal on the car.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm still intrigued by the 9-3 Arc and am wondering if anyone has compared it to the BMW 325i?

I'm thinking about the Arc at $27,000 with GMO and rebates vs. a 325i with European Delivery at about $28,000 ($1500 over ED invoice).

Any comments?
    Perillo Saab is about 10 minutes away from me. No one here ever mentions it. Is that a function of geography, or is this a dealer to avoid?
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I had loaner car form dealer today. It's new 2003 9-3. And I saw the armrest is leather....
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    had2plus1: Congratulations on your new 9-3 SS! Which discounts were you quoted?

BTW, according to the sticker, the transmission is actually made in Japan! I believe the engine is made in Germany, though, Saab-engineered Opel/Vauxhall.

hungshy: Was the 9-3 with the leather armrest an Arc? The Linears I have looked at have a fabric leather armrest. However, I think there is, or will be, an accessory to replace it with a vinyl or leather armrest. It's hard to tell at www.SaabCatalog.com because they don't make it fully clear if some accessories are for the 9-3 Sports Sedan.

fedlawman: IMHO, with pre-GMO discounts, the 9-3 is a European sedan bargain. With GMO, it's even more so. The only risks I see are potential first-year reliability issues, though it's important to note that the previous 9-3 and the current 9-5 are actually better than average, at least according to Consumer Reports.

That all said, if I could get a comparably-equipped 325i for the same price, I'd get that instead. The 9-3 may be the best-handling FWD sedan out there (the FWD A4 may be the only challenger). But the RWD 325i is simply going to provide more fun and refinement if your interest is in a sports sedan. Of course, there are other factors to consider like interior room, level of luxury, etc.

Similarly, if it wasn't for the sharp 9-3 discounts, I'd probably buy an A4 quattro.

I thought you preferred the G35, though. Have you soured on it, or is it the relatively high asking price compared to discounted vehicles?
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    Perillo Saab is actually only about 15 minutes away from my place too. I don't know why I never considered them but I'm already up to my head with these non-stop emails and phone calls from dealers hassling me to buy asap. Guess I didn't want to add another place to the list. If you decide to compare them with the other dealers, let us know how they fit in.

I'm planning on purchasing sometime this week, I'll post the results when they happen. As for the friend I mentioned before, she's holding off for the arc and wants to compare it to the A4(played out i say) and the g35 sedan(no point unless you get the coupe right?) beats me... but looks like I'm going in alone.

One last thing: I want the laser red but I've only seen the color on a convertible. What are your opinions on the red? If not red, I will go with the black.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    I went for my test drive of the 9-3 at Patrick because they had about 8 of the 9-3 non-launch in inventory. FYI, all the non-launch cars at Patrick had the leather (could be vinyl) armrest. In fact, the dealer did not have any more of the launch 9-3s and claimed that they would not be getting any more. IMHO, the 9-3 has a very firm ride (read: I felt every bump). While this is a non-issue on the highway, Chicago city streets can be pretty uneven (read: the potholes here can consume small children). My preference leans toward a sporty suspension versus say a Lexus, but I would pay close attention to decide for yourself before you buy. Otherwise, the 9-3 has few compromises that I could find. Let me know how your shopping goes. Sounds like you are getting the right pricing. I heard that Exchange now has 100 of these cars.
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    I have a few questions,

Are all of the 9-3 convertibles turbos?

Are they reliable or should I get the aftermarket warranty?

Anything to lookout for while making the purchase?

My friend offered me a 1999 convertible Automatic 36,000 miles for $13,500. It's a very nice car and I'm considering it carefully.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    > Are all of the 9-3 convertibles turbos?

Yeah, they all have been turbos for a while. They have come in 185, 205 and 230HP flavors. You can get them all up to 230HP easily with aftermarket products that aren't all that expensive.

> Are they reliable or should I get the
    > aftermarket warranty?

The engine is supposed to be a longevity wonder. The car is a dated design, which has pros and cons: it's proven and sorted out, but it is also flexier than some more recent designs.

> Anything to lookout for while making the
    > purchase?

The major issue seem to be interior squeaks and rattles. Drive the car, and not only over rpistine pavement, to see if you can live with that. Mind you, most queaks and rattles can be fixed, but they'll eventually turn up again.

I got an '02 SE convertible, full spec, last year and have loved it. It is quirkier and an acquired taste, but I like the unique value proposition a lot. New as it is, the dealer had to fix several squeaks in the interior.
    Was the firm ride you felt for a vehicle without the Sports Wheels Package?

Ride comfort is of course an extremely subjective thing. The 9-3 doesn't ride as comfortably as, say, a Passat, but it doesn't have the Passat's body roll or softness in corners.

What kind of tires were on the vehicles you've driven? E.g. some 9-3's have the Pilot Sport HX MXM4's, which are pretty good (not great, though), but they are a bit noisey and do affect ride comfort. Some dealerships, but not all, will let you swap tires, e.g. for Michelin MXV4+'s.

Finally, proper tire inflation helps too. It's amazing how many dealer demos aren't inflated correctly.

That all said, though, the vehicle does ride firmly and I can see your concerns with ride comfort.
    IMHO, the A4 isn't played out as it's still pretty new (released in the U.S. for the 2002 model year, I believe).

It does have trade-offs, however. The A4 has some pros and cons over the 9-3.

- Smaller on the inside; especially the rear seat and trunk.
    - First-year reliability not good.
    - European crash test scores good but not as good as the 9-3.
    - No anti-whiplash head restraints.
    - With the automatic and quattro, the 1.8T strains to really move the vehicle; lots of folks opt for the manual or have to go to the more expensive 3.0.

+ More luxurious and refined inside than the 9-3.
    + Better resale.
    + More prestige if that matters to the buyer.
    + quattro makes a big difference, for sure-footedness if you live in a colder climate, and nice handling even if you don't.
    + Scheduled maintenance for 4 years instead of 3 IIRC.
    + Available in a wagon (Avant) trim).

Ultimately it comes down to price, though. I think the way Saab has MSRP'ed the 9-3 means that discounts are inevitable, as I don't think that most mainstream buyers will buy a same-priced 9-3 over an A4 (especially if one can get quattro at a similar price). But Saab dealers are aggressively discounting so we all win, and the 9-3 thus stands out really well vs. the A4.
  • malangomalango Member Posts: 11
    vmguam: I completely agree with you in your A4 vs 93 debate as I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago. Both are great cars, but the discounts and the stupendous low financing offered by SAAB were like a magnet and made the 93more attractive... Under the same circumstances (i.e. no discount and normal financing) I probably would have selected the A4. As an example, the MSRP of my car was 31,610 (launch, touring, 17” wheels. heated seats) while a fully loaded A41.8T 5sp Quattro is $31,681.
    I drove the G35 several weeks ago (6?) and I remember being blown away by it. However, my memory of the subtleties of the drive are gone, and after driving four BMW's in the last few days, I not so sure anymore.

I remember the speed and the cornering of the G35, but I just can't remember well enough to compare the tightness, refinement, or comfort of the G35 vs. the BMW's I have recently driven.

The BMW's just have this feeling of oneness, of supreme confidence and competence that I have not experienced in many cars before.

Before I make a final decision, I will need to drive the G35 and 9-3 Arc back to back with the BMW to truly decide where my priorities lie.

And I must admit, if I go for the BMW, I don't know if I'll settle for the 325i, so I'm probably looking at $35K for a 330i...which is a little more expensive than the 9-3 or G35.

Decisions, decisions...
    Understood. The BMW does have that exalted driving feeling. While overhyped in the vehicle marketing, it's definitely based on truth. Seems like every manufacturer tries to copy it but they always come up slightly short. Question is always if that n-th degree is worth it.

Agreed that a back-to-back test is in order. Perhaps when the Arc hits the showrooms Real Soon Now.

BTW, besides Carter Saab in Seattle, and Barrier Saab in Bellevue, you may or may not have heard that a third Saab dealership is opening up in Fife. It'll be a Cadillac/Saab dealership, an interesting combination that does reflect the corporate roots.
    Fife is a great location for a car dealer...it is another factor in my decision that I didn't mention. For example:

I went to Bellevue Saab for my Linear test drive and thought the salespeople were uninformed, and rather low quality. Traffic in and out of Bellevue is a nightmare too...and what's up with that trailer they have for a "showroom?"

Also, I remember the Infiniti salesman told me they are opening a Tacoma dealership too...probably in Fife as well, I'm guessing. That's a plus because I wouldn't want to go to Kirkland every time I need service.

You're right about the BMW though. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to be completely satisfied. BMW offers tangible superiority in performance and general road worthiness, something I'm willing to pay a premium for...to a certain extent.
    Thanks. I will start looking seriously in March when the Arc debuts. I do plan to keep all posted here.

I have seen one new red 9-3. I thought the car looked very good in red. The red is as rich and lustrous as any I have seen south of Ferrari. Red really brings out the clean lines of the new design.

Be warned, it is very bold. The car will definitely be noticed. I am leaning toward the dolphin with the parchment interior myself.
  • jdisanjdisan Member Posts: 28
    Still a Vector fan, but it seeems like every week a new car is being introduced into this sub $35k "sports sedan" segment. Has anyone test driven the new c230 sports sedan yet (not the coupe) with the six speed?? Or checked it out at all?
    rgc2200: In a previous post you mentioned that you added steel accents to the interior of your vehicle. I'm looking to add something like that to enhance the appearance of my interiors. I looked at the saab catalog and I couldn't find anything other the wood and carbon fiber interiors. Could you please let me know where did you get it from and how much were the accessories + installation? Thanks.
    I went to both Barrier Saab and Carter Saab. I'm not sure if you went to Barrier's old location on Bel-Red, or their new spot co-located with Barrier Audi. The new spot is quite cramped, though. Barely enough room for customer parking!

I had a negative experience with Carter Saab and am still working on my letter to the dealership/Saab USA. BTW, Carter is in a ramshackle old building with about four customer spots (!) but they are moving to a new building (along with their VW dealership).

Yes, if you're planning to keep your sports sedan for a long time, you definitely should be happy with it. I suspect the BMW, and maybe the G35, would be the best route to it. Only other vehicle is the MB C230K Sedan but that is not cheap.

In my own situation, I've decided to lease a 9-3 for a number of reasons. I'm willing to overlook some of its negatives (e.g. less luxury in the Linear, concerns over long-term reliability) since, worse case, it's just three years.
    Just out of curiousity, did you ask your dealership about the availability of accessories? I'm a bit confused because much of the Saab on-line catalog says "99-". Does that mean that a lot of the interior accessories from the previous 9-3 fit the current one? Or does it mean that they don't have much stuff for the new 9-3?
    I didn't test drive the C230K Sedan with the six-speed. But if it was the same price, I would buy the MB, period. I think it's even safer than the Saab, it has good power, will have better resale, handles better (RWD), and is simply a more refined and luxurious vehicle. At least once you get past the aluminum trim.

However, the C230K Sedan is relatively expensive when you equip it, and there are no incentives yet. So it was out of my price range.

Overall, the vehicles I was most interested in were separated by $2k-$3k apiece (once equipped to the level i wanted):

- VW Passat
    - Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan Linear
    - Audi A4 1.8T quattro
    - MB C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan

And IMHO, the equation was Passat < 9-3 < A4 < C230K SS.
    rgc2200: In a previous post you mentioned that you added steel accents to the interior of your vehicle. I'm looking to add something like that to enhance the appearance of my interiors. I looked at the saab catalog and I couldn't find anything other the wood and carbon fiber interiors. Could you please let me know where did you get it from and how much were the accessories + installation? Thanks.
    I did test drive the c230 last year with 2.3l engine... First it impressed me when I drove on the curry road. But feel under power. Interior is so small , trunk also tiny too.
    My neighbor got one of it. The more I look the more I feel luck for didn't go for it.
    about the incentives I found that in other discuss room someone got $2500 off the MSRP for 2002 model when he bought it at 2002.
    Yes, for RWD on c230 is great on corning. Then I do the same thing on 9-3 I don't feel much different.
    about the 9-3 accessries cat. I picked up from dealer, it's new. Still not many of them, but there are some new feature you can add in on the 9-3.
  • rgc2200rgc2200 Member Posts: 37
    Saab has an accessory catalog for the new 9-3. I really like the steel look of the shift knob, door handles so I added the instrument accents, steering wheel inserts and plate around the manual shifter. They will make available accents on the door. I also purchased the heavy duty winter mats in grey, which are very protective and will not wear down at all.

If "new" visitors to this site go back to the early December posts there is alot of discussion similiar to what is happening now, ie Audi, BMW, Mercedes v 9-3. I test drove all of the above. I just happen to be a idiosyncratic Saab guy. . . lets see I've had my car for 2 months and I've seen exactly one other 9-3 on the road. I've seen in that time thousands of the others. . . In the end, go with your "gut feeling" and I hope you look forward to getting into your car. Anything over 28K you deserve that much!
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I agree - people who claim it's *all* rational when it comes to car choice should be driving something far more utilitarian than any of the cars discussed in this topic...

One way or the other, irrational aspects weigh very heavily when it comes to buying a car, and rationalizing it too much becomes very tedious.

The only thing that matters is that you're happy, and that the car isn't plagued by issues (even though some people put up happily with them if the car choice is irrational enough to start with... I know a friend with Mercedes CL600 that has his car in the shop for some serious malfunction once a month, and yet loves it)...
    Well, my gut feeling tells me that I really want an M3, but somehow I can't rationalize the cost. :-)

Seriously, though, I doubt if any vehicle purchase decision is made on purely rational grounds. Especially a European sedan in the U.S., when there are usually cheaper and/or more reliable Japanese and domestic alternatives.

The harder part is picking from the array of excellent European vehicles. Sometimes the gut feel will tell you (as I suspect it will for fedlawman if the price is reasonable), sometimes it won't if you find the vehicles close in your passions.

Saab obviously can't rely on its hard-core fan base and stay in business, so it was crucial that they created a vehicle that fits mainstream requirements too. They have succeeded.
    Hmm the C230K you drove must have been the coupe then and not the Sedan? The Sedan has considerably more space than the coupe (which is shorter, and narrow in the rear). Looks a lot better too IMHO. Though it still has a smaller trunk than the 9-3's and slightly less passenger space too.

I think the 9-3 gets close to the MB in terms of safety, which is saying a lot. And the 9-3 arguably exceeds the Volvo S60 in that department too. All this and sporty handling at a great price!
    I heard somewhere along the line that the launch packages witll be discontinued come March, post arc and vector styles. I was a bit suspicious about this at first, but after hearing that PatrickSaab doesn't plan on getting any more linear's with launch, I'm guessing it may be legit. I don't understand the rationale of all this; is it to promote buying the arc which will then have, in comparison, even more benefits?
    I'm afraid it is legit. The idea of the "Launch" Package was to get the Linears out the door in the absence of the Arc. Hence the name of the package.

Some dealers will still have, or can get a hold off (through swaps), 9-3's with the Launch Package, however.

The $2,595 Launch Package consists of:

- Saab Infotainment Audio (150 watt)
    - In Dash 6 Disc CD Changer
    - Exterior Color Matched Trim
    - 16" wheels with P215/55R16H tires
    - Power Driver's Seat
    - Power Sunroof

Saab will offer a $995 "Driver's Package" which will have:

- Saab Infotainment Audio (150 watt)
    - In Dash 6 Disc CD Changer
    - Power Driver's Seat

As for the stuff it doesn't include, the sunroof package costs another $1,100. I think you can get the 16" wheels and tires from Saab, and if not, from the dealer.

So you can pretty much get the equivalent of the Launch Package after it's gone. It remains to be seen what kind of discount will be offered then, but I'll bet there'll be something to keep the Linear under the Arc.
    yes, I remember I emailed Saab USA to complained that different. And they replied me with the launch package will stop offering.
    So we'll see the different is the point,"Exterior Color Matched Trim" wont be exist.
    Later, Linear will be looked like linear not Arc.
    Yeah, the t still not equal to the T.
  • lockielockie Member Posts: 8
    I sent an email to Saab USA asking about Bluetooth. Does anyone know about when the 2004 models will be released? I am also curious if a 2003 can be programed later to accept Bluetooth? Anyone heard any details.

The following is what I received from Saab:

Thank you for contacting Saab!
    In the U.S. we will offer the navigation system in model year 2004. We made the decision to wait until model year 2004 rather than offer it in the middle of the current model year. Bluetooth was expected to be offered at the same time as the navigation system but it is delayed. We were going to take Bluetooth at the beginning of the 2004 model year. That timeline looks to be accuate.
    Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks Again,
    Steve
    Saab Cars USA
    I am completely off the radar screen on bluetooth.

Usually, Saab introduces its next year models around late September early October.
  • jdisanjdisan Member Posts: 28
    Tough call now...since I have yet to drive a Vector of course...but i took a look at the new 2003 c230 Kompressor sedan this weekend and it is very nice. Plenty of power, handles great..luxury interior and rock solid (with VERY cool 17inch wheels). With almost all options (except nav), was MSRP of $32,750, so its actually a bit cheaper than the Vector-probably hold its value better as well. I am waiting to drive the Vector when it hits dealers next month to make my decision. My guess is that Vector will be slightly faster (MB says 7.1secs to 60 with the 6 speed for the c230) and handle just as well - so it will have to come down to that 'gut' that prior posts were mentioning...

Interesting is that if I choose the MB i will probably buy it. If i choose the Saab, almost certainly a lease.
    Yeah, sorry for my previous mistake to post a wrong comments about c230k sedan I never test drove. I thought that's the one I tried. After I check thier site again, wow,that's a new model come into the world. Can't see it's spec. yet. IF it's same size as c240 then it will be 2 inches smaller than 9-3 in front/rear shoulder room. However I believe it's small is not a issue for those star searcher.
    There is one additional doc. I read from net which is good to share. It's about car safety issue.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5693
    Ok, I got my credit cleared, picked out my options, prepared my paperwork, and completely decided on the saab- no turning back. very excited- first car under my name.

The only dilemma is the colors. It stems from the fact that I'm a 21 short asian girl at only 5'4- i don't want to look like a 16 yr old kid in her mom's car, on top of that I need to consider the weather here in chicago.

So, no white(it'll look gray all winter), the cosmic blue looks nice but it's too much of a guy's color, black will be hard to maintain in such weather and it may look like my mom's car again.

That leaves me with: laser red, maroon, dolphin gray(a bit masculine), dark silver(silvers aren't my first choices), and silver.

I'm very partial to the red tones and I would go with that choice except, for the laser, I don't know how well non-metallic colors hold up in Chicago weather. And the maroon would also be nice, although again it may seem like an older person's car. With both red tones, I have to consider the disadvantages of higher insurance also. Please input.

i know i've mentioned the laser red matter before but it's the last thing I need to decide on before i go to purchase and it's driving me crazy. I know it's a bit annoying that I'm posting about my lil color problems but your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

merci beaucoup.
    -renee-
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    If I was picking based on your info, I would go with the maroon. If you like red tones, I think its your best choice. Other than black, I do not like the non-metallic colors. The maroon provide a great offset to the black trim. Are you buying or leasing? Have you found a dealer you like working with? Cheers.
    Well, IMO, a 21 y.o. woman getting her first cool car has to go with a cool color.

I think the dolphin gray is sharp, but I am a 36 y.o. guy, so our cools are going to diverge.

I say you should go with the laser red. The 9-3 really looks good in laser red. And assuming you have either brown or black hair, the color will match your appearance.

As long as you wax and wash properly, modern paint will hold up well. It is good to be mindful of insurance costs. But the 9-3 is a solid 4 cyl. car with abs and other standard safety features. You should be able to get a pretty decent rate.

a bien tot
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    Hi guys. I've been out of the country for 6 weeks or so and just caught up with the 150+ messages I missed. =8) I can't digest everything right now, but a few things come to mind.

(Yes, my poor 9-3 has been idle [but not idling <grin>] in the garage all that time. Got to take it for a drive before I get flat spots on the tires. Heh heh.)

-The arm rest (leather vs. fabric) is interesting. They really need to fix this. It is like sandpaper. Leather, (good) plastic, or pleather would be fine by me.

-Is it worth getting the engine block heater (I&#146;m in the Midwest, where it is cold as all heck)? If so, what about the timer option that plugs into the Saab computer? Anyone have this? It seems cheap enough (relatively speaking, considering that most car manufacturers charge you $150 [plus labor]) for a replacement reading light bulb).

-I&#146;ve had a few (more) E-mails with a nice guy at Saab USA. While he didn&#146;t give me all the answer I wanted, he did give me honest and true answers… which is always helpful. He told me…

-&#147;The instructions for the programming of the Daytime Running Lights should be sent to the dealerships by the end of the month [January.]&#148; I see some of you have had it done already, so I&#146;m guessing that the dealers do indeed know how to do this. He also told me that when in &#147;default&#148; mode (from the factory) the Bi-Xenon lights are used for normal, high-beam, and flash-to-pass. However, if you re-code it so they work the &#147;normal&#148; way we are used to, there is a bulb (halogen, not Bi-Xenon) that gets used for flash-to-pass. This bulb is unused (dormant) in the &#147;default&#148; mode. Funky, eh?

-My comments concerning the comma (versus a period as the delimiter in the odometer) and the shift up warning (how annoying it is, and that I want it disabled) were &#147;shared with the master technicians, who work closely with Saab in Sweden.&#148; Not sure if they plan on fixing these annoyances, but at least they know.

-As for the fact that some literature shows the Linear having the (auto) rain sensor, he told me, &#147;I have done some research for the rain sensor. Unfortunately it is only available on the Arc and Vector. The original plan was to include it in the Touring package for the Linear, but based on customer comments it was decided to add the Automatic Climate Control instead of the Rain Sensor. Unfortunately that was not removed as an option on the forms, but was not included in the description of the Touring package next to the Saab Forms section. We apologize for that misprint.&#148;

-His reply to my complaint about the very poor quality of the radio (rear speakers and poor power output) was interesting. I asked him if and when the radio was going to be &#147;fixed&#148; and his reply was, &#147;I do not know what is being done concerning the radio or the timeline. When a decision is reached, owners will be notified. I am sorry that I cannot provide any additional information on that concern.&#148; That would make me believe they are aware of the problem and are considering doing something to fix this flaw. I would suggest all of your write Saab USA and express your concerns. I drove many cars that were much cheaper and had way better radios, which is bad. The good thing is that Saab can easily fix this if they wanted to make us happy.

-Lastly, and one of my biggest pet peeves was the (un)Infotainment system. I still feel that there is no difference between the cheap radio and the &#147;upgraded&#148; Infotainment system… not to mention Bluetooth (they even have a commercial on their web site showing a guy using Bluetooth). I think my question was something to the effect of how is the basic radio any different than the more expensive Infotainment system. His reply was, &#147;The integrated keypad on the Infotainment system is to allow the user to enter a code if they are trying to check voice mail, or similar activities. As of now, it is only designed to work with the On-Star system. Saab does not have a way to integrate a personal phone system in, as the electronics do not allow for dual codes. (Similar to having to purchase a new phone if you change wireless carriers because the phone is not compatible with the rest of the system.) It has been decided not to offer the Bluetooth technology until the 2004 model year as to not have two versions of the 2003 9-3.&#148;
    I agree with the other sentiment posted here. If you're 21, female, young, hip, and buying a sporty sedan that is "unique," you may as well make the look unique. Don't settle for a conservative color. Since you're partial to red I think maroon and the laser red should be your best choices. Look at them in person, preferrably in daylight outside the showroom.

Funny you mentioned that you felt that Cosmic Blue was a guy's color. This is purely personal viewpoint and one that I don't mean to offend anyone, but I feel that the Cosmic Blue is somewhat of a "girly" color.

The Steel Gray is nice, very unique, and so is the Dolphin Gray, but I agree they're more masculine colors.
    Someone on another message board who seems to get inside information claims that Saab is considering a retroactive replacement of the fabric armrest, as well as a "software upgrade" to the stereo. Apparently some of the Linears now come with a vinyl armrest (I don't think it's leather).

The idea is that if these actually happen, it would occur when current Linear owners return to the dealer to get the Onstar upgrade installed. There was also mention of a redesigned butterfly cup holder because of complaints of flimsiness.

Whether or not these items are true remain to be seen. It'd be nice if Saab took the effort to support its early 9-3 SS customers.

Though I don't think a software upgrade to the stereo will do too much.
  • blitzin1blitzin1 Member Posts: 53
    Well, the 3" speakers in the back may not be dramatically improved by a software upgrade, but the big problem is right now that even if you upgrade to 6x9 speakers yourself, it does almost no good, as a filter prevents bass from being sent to the rear speakers. Hopefully, the software upgrade will remove the block, so that a speaker upgrade will do some good.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Motor Week has chosen the 9-3 as the best family sedan in the Drivers' Choice Awards.
    Happy Thursday everyone~

The SaabUSA catalogue shows a vinyl armrest that sells for 68$; perhaps the dealers are replacing the fabric with these instead of the cars being output this way from the factory
    needashave: I will be financing with the 0-0-0 and I'm thinking of buying with The Exchange's internet manager.
    Perillo seemed flaky and didn't give me a quote but bounced the question around with excuses.
    Flikemma asked for too much although they were very attentive- they seem to value customer satisfaction a lot. Gartner would be my second choice if the Exchange doesn't work out for some reason, plus Gartner gave me a competitive first quote.
    As for Patrick's, after you told me about their lack of linear's with launch pkgs, I didnt even contac them. I figure even if they had what I wanted, it'd be harder to negotiate a lower price. If you have any other questions you're always welcome to email me.

Thanks for all the comments about my color problem everyone. I'll post a pic of my car when I finally get it in my garage, that way you can all see which color I picked and how it looks :)
    And thanks for your review of local dealers. Perillo is near my home, but Saab almost seems an after thought to them.

The Exchange is near my Dad and sibling's home. When the Arc hits the dealers, I will probably be at the Exchange. I'll check out Gartner's too.
    It'd be nice if they just came out and fixed all their first year problems. Think how many cars we sell on this board alone? To be honest, a large part of the reason I got my car was from reading posts on this site. And if people complain about things (as we have) but Saab doesn't address the problems, it will be noted here on this message board, right?

I'm guessing Saab USA reads this board (and if they don't, the marketing VP should be fired for not doing their homework) and have a good idea of what we think.

It'd be nice if we could get some more firm answers or dates for stuff, but then again, even where I work, we're not exactly perfect at handing out answers or dates. =8)
    just wanted to say welcome back and a thanks for your previous messages along with the reply you received from SaabCS. Your purchasing technique really intrigued me- the thirty minute in n' out policy. Also, your price summary was really helpful, since edmunds seemed a tad off. One question, how the heck did you get your dealer to take $800 dollars off for holdback?? Incredible.

have fun in your shortly abandoned ride :)
    I looked back at my E-mail (message #632) and the number was $706 (2.2% of MSRP). How did I get them to do it? Well, first off, I went in at the end of the year (late December). I think that has almost everything to do with it. While they only made $250 profit (from me) I am willing to bet they made an extra $500 to $1000 from Saab USA in some way, shape, or form... either in volume bonus money (for selling a certain number of units) or some other unknown factory to dealer rebate that Saab was offering.

As I said in my E-mail, I'm sure they made some money. They'd be dumb to sell the car at loss. After all, isn't that the objective of almost any business? Make as much money as possible.

On the flip side, a few dollars is better than nothing. Plus, they were able to move the car off the lot, which is a big deal. With new orders coming all the time, it is very expensive to keep cars sitting around.

How can you do this? I'd just call the fleet manager and say, "Hi, I'm <your name here>, I want to buy a Saab 9-3 with the following options, etc. I am willing to give you $x profit, and if you are willing to do the deal, I'll come down today and sign the paper work."

Be sure you are very specific about the exterior color, interior color, and all options. They may not be able to find your exact car, but one similar. If so, you'll need to readjust your price.

The willingness of the dealer to meet your price will depend on a lot of things, and I do not think all will give up the full holdback amount, so be practical. Even if you can get the car at invoice, it is a good deal. In the end, $706 isn't exactly a ton of money. If you can't get the holdback, but you really like the car, you'll just fork up the extra money. I would have if I had to.
    ok i called gartner today and this is the quote they gave me w/out any negotiating on my part.

for an auto, non-metallic, launch, heated seats linear using 0-0-0, it'll be $26,900. I'm hoping to ask for a couple hundred off of that- there's something fishy about the quote coming out so easily.

I find this a pretty good deal, maybe I can ask for the touring package for $27,300, but I get the feeling I'm being greedy.

As for the exchange, I'll call back one more time to see if they'll contest the gartner quote or else i think it'll be gartner i shop at.