Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I'm thinking this new 9-3 could propel Saab sales big time in the U.S.

Saab is a big seller around this city, but it also has a very strong dealer which helps. I wonder if Saab will be upgrading and expanding it's network also.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    The new 9-3 promises to be a lot of car for the money. I am leery of spending that much for a fwd as well, but think I will take a look. There appears to be a lot of thought put into this new car.
  • tlivactlivac Posts: 11
    My 1999 9-3 SE (5 speed)is due to come off lease on July 22. The purchase price was 31,200. I put an additional $1,700 in cash not including 1st month, security, registration fees, sales tax. I am including the $595 acquisition fee in this number because I consider it to be a cost associated with leasing the car. The total of my payments is 13,494. The residual on the contract is 16,817, Chase is offering me the car for $15,033 plus tax.

I'm trying to fiugure out if I should:

1) buy the car and keep it
    2) buy iy, sell it and upgrade to a 9-5 wagon
    3) turn it in and go for the 9-5 wagon.

I'll be about 5,000 over in mileage ($750) and the condition of my tires is a bit suspect. Except for some minor dings from rocks and such, the car is in great shape.
  • shuttersshutters Posts: 1
    hi - I'm looking to replace a 1992 900 Turbo with a 2002 9-3 Viggen 3-door. Any thoughts from current Viggen owners? Consumer Reports isn't overly positive, and I've heard negative things about the torque steer, but I can't help it, I just love the car! Would wait for the new '03, but 3-doors aren't offered. Also any info on current incentive pricing (lists for $38K) would be much appreciated. thanks
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    Shutters, you would have better luck looking in the Coupes & Sports cars discussion called "Saab Viggen - why so cheap?"
  • rickpctrickpct Posts: 71
    go to www.saabnet.com active Viggen discussions there...mostly biased toward saab but you can get comparison from people that have owned Classic 900's (like yours) , NG900, and 93
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    dindak - in that review it states that the new 9-3 will start at 150hp. Everywhere else I have read 185hp. I seriously hope it is the later. 150hp for a car in this class is unacceptable.
    Probably a typo or error. It's not 150.
  • jhberry4jhberry4 Posts: 11
    For any of you in the DFW area, Sewell Saab will be having a 2003 9-3 sedan preview this upcoming Monday 6/24 from 4:30 to 7 pm. They say it is for preferred customers, but I do not think they would turn anybody away. I will post impressions after taking a look at it.
    Looking forward to hearing from you. Did Sewell say it will have an actual working model, or will they have a pre-production car for display?
    They did not say, but I am expecting to be a pre- but very close to production model. I would not be expecting any changes, and definitely expect this car to be 'very finished.' I am pretty sure that it won't be available for test driving, but when they had the H2 recently, I would guess that it was definitely a production model.
  • tlivactlivac Posts: 11
    I have a 99 9-3 SE with almost 50k miles in Silver with 5 speed. The residual is $16,817, Chase has come down to 15,033. I have tried to negotiate lower but they won't budge. The car will go at auction at about $13,400-700. I don't want to turn it in because I'll get hit with mileage charges and probably something else given how tough I'm hearing that Chase is being at inspection.

I was thinking about asking my dealer to buy it, make it a certified pre-owned, and re-sell it to me.I may be able to get it from my dealer at a similar price but with an extended warranty. Thoughts?
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    looks like i missed your post by about 3 hours:(. just got back into town, let us know how it went.

DL
    Greetings all I attended the 9-3 preview last night, and came away quite impressed. First here is some basic information. The car was an early production European model (light grey and charcoal, middle level, I have forgot the name) so there will be some minor differences. The 9-3 will have 2 engine levels available a 2.0t (175 horses) and a 2.0T (210 hp I think). There will be 3 transmissions ( 5 and 6 speed manual) and a 5 speed automatic with optional steering wheel shifters.

The interior and exterior fit and finish of the automobile was top notch, many of us commented on the narrow gaps between the body panels. The interior was very reminiscent of the current 9-5 with an additional DIC (Personalization Information Center) mounted above the dash and an in dash LCD screen (no navigation on first models). There is a 6 disc in dash CD player and an optional 6 disc trunk mounted CD changer.

The overall design is quite good looking. I do think it is break your neck gorgeous (very few cars are), but it looks as nice as any BMW or Mercedes sedan. The front is aggressive and the sides flow in a very European way. But it retains it's individuality. The doors have a solid sound when closing and the engine is definitely quieter than our 9-5's 3.0L. No word on the Viggen, and the hatchback will be replaced by the 9-3X in 2004 or so. Convertible is expected next April or so.

The design rates a B+, the fit and finish were an A, but I wish that they had finished out the trunk a little more (exposed speaker and other items).
    Thanks. Nice report. I am really looking forward to seeing one in person.
  • tm255tm255 Posts: 7
    smu1976

i have a question for you about one of your messages in a closed discussion. sorry for using this as the medium, but i don't see any other way to do it.

please email me at tm55@usa.com

thanks!
    Was your preview at a dealership?

Sounds like the 9-3 may be a strong competitor for BMW and Mercedes. Good news for Saab.
    They are part of the traveling circuit for both new Saabs and Hummers (Saw the H2 in April). They had the car on the floor from 4:30 to 7pm yesterday. Not sure where it was going next. But if you would like to see it, call your local Saab dealer and ask.
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Liked your comments....

As I said on the hatchback board, the new engine is what bothers me. How well will this GM engine handle Saab turbocharging? I didn't stay around past five, so I didn't get to hear what the engine sounded like.

Last I had read, if sales are markedly improved Saab might bring back the hatchback in 2004. As for engines, the Linear will have 175hp, Aero and the Vector will share the same 210hp engine (available in January of 2003). 2004 there will be a higher output engine for the Vector. No one is saying for sure what the output would be like, but I am going to assume it will have atleast as much performance power as the 9-5 Aero.

Lenear will have the 5sp manual and 5sp auto.
    Aero and Vector will have the 6sp manual and 5sp auto with sport-shift.
    The local Saturn Saab Isuzu dealer had a VUE preview so perhaps they will have a Saab preview also. I will call and ask. Thanks for the info.
    There will be a preview of the 2003 9-3 in the Detroit area on July 13th. The event is at the Ritz Carlton in Dearborn and starts at 5:30p.m.
  • I have been surfing the web and gathering info on the upcoming 9-3. Apparently this new car will compete directly with the A4, BMW 3 Series, Volvo 60 Series and possibly the Mercedes C-Class. If the Saab has any chance of keeping up with the above mentioned cars, then I believe it will need to offer a 6 cylinder engine, and AWD as an option. Any opinions on this?

This is my first time here.
    Saab has been about turbo 4 cylinders for many years now. The philosophy is the economy and compact size of a 4 combined with one of the best turbo punches available create a unique alternative in the segment.

The base 9-3 will have 175 hp, 5 more than the base A-4. The mid 9-3 will be around 215 hp, the same as the IS300. I believe there will also be a 255 hp aero version as well.

With its unique styling, ergonomics, and reputation for safety, there is no reason the car will not compete. Provided, of course, it is executed properly.
  • logic1,

While I appreciate your opinion......a few facts to back up my position.

2001 Model year sales for brands in the U.S.

Saab____________37,556 (18,374 of which are 9-3
    Audi____________83,283
    BMW_____________213,127
    Mercedes Benz___206,638

10 month period in 2000 (by competing models)

Saab 9-3________16,397
    Audi A4_________28,425
    BMW 3 Series____71,422
    Mercedes C Class___27,672
    Volvo S60__________202 (NEW model late in year)

The majority of these cars are NOT 4 cylinder, nor are they turbo charged (with regards to the total sales). With regards to the competing models.....NONE are 4 cylinder or turbocharged (except the 1.8T Audi).

I still maintain my position about Saab having to consider the 6 cyl. and AWD at least as options.....or I believe they are destined to continue low sales....especially playing with the big boys. The numbers don't lie. Believe me, the new car looks great.....I hope it does well. Time will tell.

I will post updated numbers when I find them. I don't know if Saab will fare any better.
  • Volvo___________________125,710 (2001)
    Does nothing for me.

First, your figures show Saab with an ancient 9-3 actually improved its sales significantly in a one year period.

Secind, making carbon copies of the leader merely reminds potential buyers how much they want the leader. The IS300 is a nice BMW 3 clone. Look at its sales figures. It is far better to offer an alternative and catch the people with the money who do not want to buy the leader.

Saab hopes to sell 70k cars a year in the US by 05. With the three versions of the new 9-3 sedan, the new 9-5 sedan, wagons of both, and the new 9-3x which will come out in '05, I think they can do it. There is no need for Saab to follow what the others are doing with their 6s.
    I agree with logic1. Saab is making moves in the right direction to reach their sales goal of 70k in 2005 in the U.S. Yes, Saab wishes to compete more directly with BMW, Audi.. but they do not want to be like them. They will continue to offer a unique alternative to the masses.
  • logic1,

I didn't think the facts would do anything for you....but they remain just that.....FACTS.

Interesting that you compare the IS300 to the 3 Series. That is a fair comparison, seeing as they BOTH offer 6 cylinder powerplants.

Don't get me wrong....from what I had read about the new 9-3, I hope it does well....and I hope they do DOUBLE their sales.

In my comparison I had to use an ancient (but still current 9-3), and I also used the same year of the other vehicles as well. The larger number for 9-3 sales was based on a full 12 month year. The 2000 figures was for a 10 month time period. I would assume that those two numbers would be closer if a full 12 months was reported, so your stated increase in sales is, at best, a guess.

bigdaddycoats,

The horsepower rating I am seeing for the lesser engine is 175. In my opinion, still a bit on the low side to be placed in the group we have been discussing. You stated in an earlier post that you thought the entry level engine had 150hp, and you felt that was too low for this class of automobile. In my opinion, 175 isn't much better.

BTW.......I have been doing some research....offline....and a magazine I came across lists BOTH a 6 cylinder AND AWD as items that will be available at some point in the near future on the new 9-3. Good news to hear. Perhaps Saab (and GM) finally realize what they have to do to offer a comparable alternative.
    Well, I am glad you seem to think we are having a debate, but frankly, I do not know what your point is.

Your initial claim was that to be a success, the 9-3 needs the hp of the V6. Then you provide sales figures or cars, some of which actually have 4 cylinder engines, others with V6s that either have lower or very similar hp to the 9-3. You repeat what I said, that the IS300 does have a V6, but you do not respond at all to my point that while the IS300 is a clone of the segment leading BMW, it has not sold well from day one.

IMO, the more important issues for Saab are to provide a solid, attractive, dependable 9-3, with the emphasis on ride, handling, and safety, while maintaining the distinct characteristics of the car.

Finally, your offline research brought you nothing new and some outdated information as well. I mentioned the 9-3X in my earlier post. That is the AWD vehicle Saab is planning. I believe the plans for the 6, however, were in connection with the proposed Cross-over, which Saab now says it will not make.

In any event, there is absolutely not plans for a V6 in the 9-3, which is the vehicle I have been discussing. What Saab does or does not do with the 9-5 or the 9-3X is somewhat beside the point, unless your point is to just say anything that comes up and declare yourself right.