Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• altered3altered3 Member Posts: 59
    The company is Euro based Vb air systems Denmark
    they will export world-wide, but you need a certified ,or qualified person to install there are companies in the states that install air ride for local units ! so you need to find one who will take the project on as it needs to be certified for US roads, Installation that is.
    The product has a full ISO rating, this exceeds local safety regulations and or is similar so there is no problem with this, it also is the only unit that Mercedes-Benz endorses.
    You will have to join this link sprinter-source.com it's a US forum but has the faculty's for email and picture format that will clearly show what you would be purchasing
    My suggestion is to join the forum and ask for Altered Sprinter! or start a separate thread, I would find this inside of 24 Hrs as to myself being in Australia, time frame differences.
    Although there appears to be a link to place a picture in this forum , damed if I can work it out :confuse:
    Richard
  • ddaileyddailey Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, I must have skipped school on the day they covered attaching a picture. Dennis">
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    I think I schipped skool those daze two.

KenB :P
  • ddaileyddailey Member Posts: 5
    I've got pictures of my Sprinter on my computer, just don't know how to attach here, so I can share. Guess I need to ask my grandkids.
  • minicoopersminicoopers Member Posts: 26
    ddailey,
    Perhaps you could start by going into your My CarSpace account and uploading your photos there first and then we can go thru the other steps? It took me a few tries the first time too.
    MINI
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    Found that my fresh/recycled air is inop. The light comes on but nothing. So to dealer I go. The linkage is broken. Repair will cost 525.00 dollars. The mechanic says he has seen this before. Has anybody else had this problem! Thank goodness it is on fresh air. Thanks Tom :cry:
  • punter1punter1 Member Posts: 50
    Anybody know?
  • mlk2mlk2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to figure out the yellow. I thought they used to have two yellows. I'm not sure if the Calcite Yellow is safety yellow or a softer yellow. I just saw a banana-colored Sprinter on the road and thought that's the color I want. I also saw a picture of a Sprinter in that banana yellow on a Mercedes site but can't find it again, and the picture wasn't a true photo anyway. Does anyone know? Thanks!
    Calcite Yellow is a softer Lemony/banana Yellow than Safety Yellow (slightly orangy-brown/darker).

KenB :shades:
    Thanks Ken. So the Calcite isn't DHL delivery van yellow or Toyota FJ Cruiser yellow? It's softer than those?

I think that's the one I saw the other day, hopefully.

Thanks again.
    Mary
    correct, In my estimation it is softer, but remember, that is a Lot of Yellow (a Sprinter covered in it)... LOL

They did have a darker yellow, but appear to have dropped it or relegated it to Fleet sales (some road-work and construction companies (and state road crews, for example) require safety Yellow in order to qualify for government jobs/contracts).

My wife's car was a Yellow Mazda 808 when we got married... not exactly banana yellow, but close.

KenB :lemon: :shades:
    Heh! I was thinking of a red one for my business before I saw the yellow one. My boyfriend told me... remember it will look like a very fat woman in a red dress!

Thanks for the info Ken.

Mary
  • cfpiratecfpirate Member Posts: 1
    I have ordered an 08 and it is built and expected to arrive at Indian dealer the end of Oct. Started building 08's in Aug, 4 months delivery according to dealer. Incidently I will not be able to take delivery of this van, so if interested it is a 2008 Cargo Sprinter, 170 wb, 3500, Silver metallic, loaded many options,07 cost approx. $43,000.00, if interested contact [email protected] / cfpirate
  • pdacpdac Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know of a US company that converts Sprinters to four wheel drive? Oberainger offers a conversion in Germany, but not for the US. Any ideas? Thanks
    It was slated to become a factory option at one point. The old model had the option in Europe. That is one of the reasons I wanted to see official 2008 specs.....
  • sprintergodsprintergod Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody out there had any luck finding a block heater for the 07? They wont be available from Mercedes for another 7 months. There is supposedly some aftermarket supplier out there but I cant find any info on it.
  • kurt6kurt6 Member Posts: 22
    europarts-sd.com
    If you can read German, you can see the options
    for the Sprinter in its home country. What seems odd, besides the higher prices, is that the colors are not displayed the same even though they have the same name. Aquagreen in the USA is bluegreen. Aquagreen in Gremany is evergreen. They should have actual photographs of each color instead of just changing pixels so that you can tell what the real color actually is. ( If they want to actually sell them that is ).

http://mbks2.mercedes-benz.com/van_konfigurator_VAN_de1/vp.dll?session=092323263- 1308&country=de&lang=de&stid=GEW&evid=model&js=off&isf_INI=Gewerblich%253DJa%252- CAT_INI%253Dm&sequence=%2FINI

here is a link to a 4x4 tested in africa,
    of course, the USA market probably will not get it because
    we are not given much priority and the way exchange rates are going even if we did get it it would be 50-60K.

motoring.iafrica.com/newsbriefs/614360.htm

But it is VERY cool - a 3500 extra long 4x4 would be fun.

extra long 4x4 is not available but you would be looking at US $80 grand plus no discounts on these the waiting list extends over 12 months if you can be bothered waiting as to Government having priority on orders
    Richard
  • pdacpdac Member Posts: 7
    After posting my orginal question, I've found out that there is a US company that will convert the Sprinter. Sportsmobile West does a variety of mods. I will contact them and pass along what I learn. Here is the link.
    http://www.sportsmobile.com/
  • moglymogly Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks, I'm new to this board. We've recently purchased a 10 Pass Brilliant silver '06 140 Sprinter. While by Sprinter standards it's pretty loaded I'd still like to add a few more features that are factory available options.

1st: A Webasto timer unit. I have the factory fitted Webasto coolant heater and I can use it right now only by selecting the central button on the right hand side of the HVAC controls.

2nd. A rear cargo light switch. My children find it difficult to find the receiver end of their seat belts. Our VW Eurovan also came without rear light control. I later added it by way of a factory switch.

3rd. Rear fog light with appropriate switch. Our van has front fogs but I truly believe in the safety of a rear mounted unit as well. Anyone here install one ??

I went to the only authorized Sprinter dealership in SW Ontario and while the parts guys are friendly enough I found them to be rather unknowledgable about sprinters. A small funny example was when I asked about the webasto timer. I was told they didn't exist but I had just walked their lot and noticed 7/10 in the yard had them!!

Thanks for any input/help.

Rob
    Rob,
    my best advice is to Google "Berry Dodge" and use the free parts catalogs for Sprinter that you find there... The Heater timer is great and I wish I had one... and, yes, they are acutally common, especially on units bought for northern climates.

You'll have the parts numbers, and even a place to internet buy (berry Dodge) and you'll probably know prices for some items which is very helpful when you don't know... what you may be charged.

Write back if you need more, another forum I know is more into mods: Sprinter-Forum dot COM

Oops, forgot your question about "rear fogs" intrigues me... do you mean rear lights for when you load/unload or have to change a tire on roadside at night? Like rear cargo lights on a pickup truck?

I have limited knowledge, but I believe that all rear lights must be RED, except for backup (white) and turn signal (can be amber, but usually red).

KenB
  • moglymogly Member Posts: 2
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the tip of Berry Dodge. I'll check them out. I have a couple of local dodge dealers but they're not well versed Sprinter-wise. If I bring them part numbers though that would make the job easier.

The Rear fog light is more of a European option. It's for foul weather. It's a 21 Watt bulb, the same rating as the rear brake light bulbs but by right you should only install one on the rear to no confuse following drivers. I've installed one in all of our previous drivers.

Funny you should mention the idea of a rear spotlight though. That too, will be something I add. I've tinted the windows including the fronts and backing up on our farm at night is a chore.

Rob
  • bspertybsperty Member Posts: 20
    It feels like i am loosing power assist.The pedal drops suddenly and pedal feels not smooth when i press on it.
    Warning lights come on.
    I returned for second try on this one.
    Any one have this problem
    2006 30,000 miles
  • sppspp Member Posts: 13
    The dealerships are independently owned and operated!!##XX ???? The mantra of the impotent Chrysler group. I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems both with their Sprinter, their dealerships service dept. arrogance, incompetance and Chrysler customer service ( or lack of it) uselessness. To list some of my problems:
    Replace: cargo area dome light(s), horn, radio, door latch (door would bounce open when trying to close, rear door dome light switch. These alone have been far more than any problems I've had with the aprox. 15 vehicles I've owned over the last 30yrs.
    There's more. After having my Sprinter serviced at 20k, by my selling dealership, Lee Dodge of Commack, New York, at 21k my transmission broke down and I needed to be towed. They would only tow me to the nearest dealership, Westbury Jeep. Three days later Thursday I got the truck back. Friday I brought it back to Westbury Jeep And said I felt the truck was hesitating and had a power issue. They test drove it and said "they could not duplicate the problem" On Monday, there is an explosion, not exagerating, from the engine compartment. I have to get towed back to Westbury Jeep for the second time in a week. This time it is a problem with the turbo booster. I am beyond frustration at this point, especially after the dealership not properly diagnosing the problem correctly the previous Friday. In fact they were rude and acted as if they were doing me a favor repairing a vehicle still under warranty. 3 weeks later I'm 150 miles from home starting a camping weekend with my fishing club. I pull into a supermarket to get some snacks and go back to the truck and start it up and it does not move!!! I have to be towed for the third time in a month. I call roadside assistance and they tell me they can not find a participating tow company in my area, Winstead Ct., at 9:30pm on a Friday night. At this point I lost it and demanded they get me towed to the nearest Dodge dealership and get me running. 2 1/2hrs later they get me towed to Crowley Dodge in Bristol CT. 36 miles to the southeast of my location. I slept in the truck in the dealership lot. The next morning a service rep. wakes me and gets my truck looked at asap. My complements to Crowley Dodge's pleasentness and politeness, for the first time from a Dodge affiliate. They diagnosed the problem as my linkage coming apart as it was not properly reassembled by the Westbury jeep tech. when they repaired my transmission. At this point I just drove home and gave up on my weekend from frustration and exhaustion. Just this past week, Nov 07, I needed to bring my truck back to Lee Dodge to have my door latch repaired, my linkage replaced, as Crowley Dodge just did a temporary fix on it to get me back on the road. Also to diagnose a problem with my Dashboard outside temperature digital thermometer. They fixed my door and linkage, but did not fix my thermometer and while taking apart my dash they broke the central locking system of my truck and left my instrument panel molding misaligned and protruding from the rest of the dash. When I called the service manager the next morning and demanded an immediate appointment for them to fix my locking system, that they had just broken and to fix my dash the service manager was rude and told me not to bring my truck back to his shop. I asked to speak with the general mgr. He had the same attitude. I currently have an appointment with another dealership to have the remaining problems repaired 3 weeks from now! I also have an additional problem. It seems that at low speed and when slowing down the truck it has developed a rumbling noise like I'm running on a shoulder. During all of this The Chrysler Group has been a non-entity, invisable and not worthy of the concept of customer service. This post is not only to get other owners feedback but also to put together my thoughts as I'm considering court action against my dealership and Chrysler.

Thanks for reading, :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
    SPP
    :confuse: :mad: :(:cry: :mad: Posted: Nov 11, 2007 - 09:29 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The dealerships are independently owned and operated!!##XX ???? The mantra of the impotent Chrysler group. I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems both with their Sprinter, their dealerships service dept. arrogance, incompetance and Chrysler customer service ( or lack of it) uselessness. To list some of my problems:
    Replace: cargo area dome light(s), horn, radio, door latch (door would bounce open when trying to close, rear door dome light switch. These alone have been far more than any problems I've had with the aprox. 15 vehicles I've owned over the last 30yrs.
    There's more. After having my Sprinter serviced at 20k, by my selling dealership, Lee Dodge of Commack, New York, at 21k my transmission broke down and I needed to be towed. They would only tow me to the nearest dealership, Westbury Jeep. Three days later Thursday I got the truck back. Friday I brought it back to Westbury Jeep And said I felt the truck was hesitating and had a power issue. They test drove it and said "they could not duplicate the problem" On Monday, there is an explosion, not exagerating, from the engine compartment. I have to get towed back to Westbury Jeep for the second time in a week. This time it is a problem with the turbo booster. I am beyond frustration at this point, especially after the dealership not properly diagnosing the problem correctly the previous Friday. In fact they were rude and acted as if they were doing me a favor repairing a vehicle still under warranty. 3 weeks later I'm 150 miles from home starting a camping weekend with my fishing club. I pull into a supermarket to get some snacks and go back to the truck and start it up and it does not move!!! I have to be towed for the third time in a month. I call roadside assistance and they tell me they can not find a participating tow company in my area, Winstead Ct., at 9:30pm on a Friday night. At this point I lost it and demanded they get me towed to the nearest Dodge dealership and get me running. 2 1/2hrs later they get me towed to Crowley Dodge in Bristol CT. 36 miles to the southeast of my location. I slept in the truck in the dealership lot. The next morning a service rep. wakes me and gets my truck looked at asap. My complements to Crowley Dodge's pleasentness and politeness, for the first time from a Dodge affiliate. They diagnosed the problem as my linkage coming apart as it was not properly reassembled by the Westbury jeep tech. when they repaired my transmission. At this point I just drove home and gave up on my weekend from frustration and exhaustion. Just this past week, Nov 07, I needed to bring my truck back to Lee Dodge to have my door latch repaired, my linkage replaced, as Crowley Dodge just did a temporary fix on it to get me back on the road. Also to diagnose a problem with my Dashboard outside temperature digital thermometer. They fixed my door and linkage, but did not fix my thermometer and while taking apart my dash they broke the central locking system of my truck and left my instrument panel molding misaligned and protruding from the rest of the dash. When I called the service manager the next morning and demanded an immediate appointment for them to fix my locking system, that they had just broken and to fix my dash the service manager was rude and told me not to bring my truck back to his shop. I asked to speak with the general mgr. He had the same attitude. I currently have an appointment with another dealership to have the remaining problems repaired 3 weeks from now! I also have an additional problem. It seems that at low speed and when slowing down the truck it has developed a rumbling noise like I'm running on a shoulder. During all of this The Chrysler Group has been a non-entity, invisable and not worthy of the concept of customer service. This post is not only to get other owners feedback but also to put together my thoughts as I'm considering court action against my dealership and Chrysler.

Thanks for reading,
    SPP
    yes, the customer service is so spotty as to be non-existent.

mine botched even an oil Change... and that was a FREE one due to many other frustrating cusomter service problems... the parts guys told me they were about to lose their 5-Star/Business Link status, which would mean NO Sprinter repair site in all of OKC, Oklahoma.

Within 1000 miles (of the free oil change) I was at least 2 quarts low on oil... then replaced them with fully synthetic and never was low again for the other 8,000 miles at which time the oil did not seem very viscous anymore... Replaced oild with AMSOIL, fully synthetic, and never went low, ever for 10,000 miles. AMSOIL, at 10K miles, was still viscous and very lubricating, extremely well dispersed fine carbon particles, good for more miles.

Door problems were NEVER taken care of.

Rumble is a function of transmission fluid fill level and/or fluid quaility. Since this cannot be easily checked (no test-rod in trans-fill tube), you need a stealership or a mercedes shop to check it. They need to read the trans temp and the level together. UDDER B-S... This should not be this critical, an aftermarket tool is available and if you get the whole system up to operating temp, your test of the fluid level should be good. You are probably slightly low (1/4 or 1/2 Qt.).

Likewise, the engine oil level debate is quite strong if it ever gets started... 9.5 Qt. to full... my buttocks, It is always AT LEAST 1/2 QT. low when I put in 9.5 Qt. over 185F (optimum temp), it is low by at least 1/4 Qt. when I put in 10 Qt.

At 9 Qt. it barely even touches the stick (yes, this is hot). It can't possibly hurt to be 1/2 quart low, so I ran it until uniformely hot and it STILL wasn't up on the stick even to minimum!!!

KenB :mad:
  • kyingkying Member Posts: 61
    SSP

I read your post with great interests. Thanks for sharing your experience, and good luck to you and your future dealings with Chrysler.

kying
    Castaic, CA
    2006 Charcoal Gray 140 Wagon Standard Top
  • seiferthjseiferthj Member Posts: 1
    I have had an experience with Lee Dodge and based on that I would say you're smart NEVER to bring your car back there or have any dealings what so ever to do with the place. They will lie, swindle, mislead, delay, anything other than what they are supposed to do. I hope Chrysler is able to close them before they do any more damage to the brand. If you are considering purchasing a vehicle from Lee Dodge run away before it's too late.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you haven't already, please take the time to post a dealer review. It could be helpful to other unsuspecting consumers.

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html
  • 049853049853 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if egress type windows are available. I want to use the Sprinter in charter bus service and it must have egress windows
  • bohemiancobohemianco Member Posts: 1
    Hi! Does anyone know how to reset service light on new 07 3.0 diesel sprinter?
    My reads -300 mi. I'm trying directions from owners manual and it does not work. Can anyone help? Thanks. Frank.
    bus upfitters should have egress windows or mods.

A version I have seen that will work is a pull tab that removes a part of the rubber strip that hold the window in place... too long ago to know who this came from.

Were you thinking of using a Sprinter Wagon (passenger van)? or were you thinking of bus seats (up-fitted Sprinter).

carefully observe the key positions that they ask for during the procedure in the book. that is what trips most people up.

I do not have experience with the van you have, but this is what I have read in forums.

KenB ;)
    Service code re sets on 07 Sprinters, There appears to be a problem resetting manually.,If you cannot reset manually from book, this will require a star diagnostics technician.to reset, and if possiable have the onboard computer reset the with software updates. .
    please tell me. where is the extrernal sensor located for the digital dash board thermometer? thanks
  • kurt6kurt6 Member Posts: 22
    under front LP.
    > Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:03:06 -0500
    > From: [email protected]
    > To:
    > Subject: Re: Chrysler LLC Customer Assistance (KMM52756xxxx25261xxxxx}
    >
    > Dear
    >
    > Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
    > regarding Lee Dodge.
    >
    > Your email has been received and the concerns you have raised are
    > appreciated.
    >
    > After thoroughly reviewing your request and the files on this matter, we
    > respectfully concur with the information provided by our Customer
    > Service Representative.
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us. It is regrettable
    > that a more favorable reply can not be provided.
    >
    >
    > Thanks again for your email.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Leslie
    >
    > Senior Staff Representative
    > Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
    >
    > For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
    > following information:
    > REFERENCE NUMBER: 16xxxxx
    > EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 1xxxx
    > REPLY LINK: http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_forms/us/reply.jsp?trk_ID=
    >
    >
    > Original Message Follows:
    > ------------------------
    >
    > US Customer Service - Dodge Brand Site
    > Brief Description:
    > CHRYSLER GROUP..... LIKE TEETS ON A BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Comments:
    > CHRYSLER GROUP.... LIKE TEETS ON A BULL!!!!!!!!!!!! The dealerships are
    > independently owned and operated!!##XX ???? The mantra of the impotent
    > Chrysler group. I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems both
    > with
    > their Sprinter, their dealerships service dept. arrogance, incompetance
    > and
    > Chrysler customer service ( or lack of it) uselessness. To list some of
    > my
    > problems: Replace: cargo area dome light(s), horn, radio, door latch
    > (door would bounce open when trying to close, rear door dome light
    > switch.
    > These alone have been far more than any problems I've had with the
    > aprox.
    > 15 vehicles I've owned over the last 30yrs. There's more. After having
    > my
    > Sprinter serviced at 20k, by my selling dealership, Lee Dodge of
    > Commack,
    > New York, at 21k my transmission broke down and I needed to be towed.
    > They
    > would only tow me to the nearest dealership, Westbury Jeep. Three days
    > later Thursday I got the truck back. Friday I brought it back to
    > Westbury
    > Jeep And said I felt the truck was hesitating and had a power issue.
    > They
    > test drove it and said "they could not duplicate the problem" On
    > Monday,
    > there is an explosion, not exagerating, from the engine compartment. I
    > have
    > to get towed back to Westbury Jeep for the second time in a week. This
    > time
    > it is a problem with the turbo booster. I am beyond frustration at this
    > point, especially after the dealership not properly diagnosing the
    > problem
    > correctly the previous Friday. In fact they were rude and acted as if
    > they
    > were doing me a favor repairing a vehicle still under warranty. 3 weeks
    > later I'm 150 miles from home starting a camping weekend with my
    > fishing
    > club. I pull into a supermarket parking lot to get some snacks and go
    > back
    > to the truck and start it up and it does not move!!! I have to be towed
    > for
    > the third time in a month. I call roadside assistance and they tell me
    > they
    > can not find a participating tow company in my area, Winstead Ct., at
    > 9:30pm on a Friday night. At this point I lost it ( read: I can not
    > grasp
    > the level of incompetance) and demanded they get me towed to the
    > nearest
    > Dodge dealership and get me running. 2 1/2hrs later they get me towed
    > to
    > Crowley Dodge in Bristol CT. 36 miles to the southeast of my location
    > (further from my home destination). I slept in the truck in the
    > dealership
    > lot. The next morning a service rep. wakes me ( I insisted that
    > roadside
    > asst. should contact the dealership and make them aware I was on their
    > premises), and gets my truck looked at A.S.A.P.. My complements to
    > Crowley
    > Dodge's pleasentness and politeness, for the first time from a Dodge
    > affiliate. They diagnosed the problem as my linkage coming apart as it
    > was
    > not properly reassembled by the Westbury jeep tech. when they repaired
    > my
    > transmission. At this point I just drove home and gave up on my weekend
    > from frustration and exhaustion. Just this past week, Nov 07, I needed
    > to
    > bring my truck back to Lee Dodge to have my door latch repaired, my
    > linkage
    > replaced, as Crowley Dodge just did a temporary fix on it to get me
    > back on
    > the road. Also to diagnose a problem with my Dashboard outside
    > temperature
    > digital thermometer. They fixed my door and linkage, but did not fix my
    > thermometer and while taking apart my dash they broke the central
    > locking
    > system of my truck and left my instrument panel molding misaligned and
    > protruding from the rest of the dash. When I called the service manager
    > the
    > next morning and demanded an immediate appointment for them to fix my
    > locking system, that they had just broken and to fix my dash the
    > service
    > manager was rude, and powerless, and told me not to bring my truck back
    > to
    > his shop. I asked to speak with the general mgr. He had the same
    > attitude.
    > I currently have an appointment with another dealership to have the
    > remaining problems repaired 3 weeks from now! I also have an additional
    > problem. It seems that at low speed and when slowing down the truck it
    > has
    > developed a rumbling noise like I'm running on a shoulder. During all
    > of
    > this The Chrysler Group has been a non-entity, invisable and not worthy
    > of
    > the concept of customer service. This post is not only to get other
    > owners
    > feedback but also to put together my thoughts as I'm considering court
    > action against my dealership and Chrysler. Thanks for reading, SPP
    > CHRYSLER has no corporate culture.

Respectfully,
    Chrysler customer service continues to be a joke! How do you agree with bringing a vehicle in for one thing and the service dept. brakes something else and refuses to repair damage they just did. You thoroughly reviewed? Be serious, not foolish!

completely dissatisfied customer

Chrysler are you even capable of listening?

Dear MR. , We here at Dodge are continuously looking for ways we can serve you better.Your assistance would be a significant help in our efforts if you could take a couple of minutes to give us your feedback. Recently you sent an email to Dodge, the subject of which you titled: "CHRYSLER GROUP..... LIKE TEETS ON A BULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Please click on the link below to open our web page questionnaire and answer the questions based on this most recent email interaction. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help us improve. The answers you provide will assist us to gauge your satisfaction with our handling of your questi
  • dbpopsdbpops Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: has anyone gone to dodge.com to build a new sprinter with 08 pricing?
    wow what a jump in pricing!!!!!!!!!
    they will out price these sprinters for the small business man.
    pricing jumped $3000.00 over 07's
    may have rethink buying a sprinter van!!!!!!!
    Rear fog-lamp requires a switch the same as you have but the difference is the switch has two icons one up one down with centre on position that will activate both front and rear fog lamps rear has only one activated fog lamp , if there were two off it gives the illusion of your van breaking, hence one only light.
    Separate part number and has to be purchased on the Euro side from Benz
    most of it is plug and play very little wiring required.
    But that is dependant on how the US sprinter is pre-wired for a non operational option state side_ Remember some of the lights are illegal in many states because of the ambiance of the light.????
    Richard
  • mustangcrazy90mustangcrazy90 Member Posts: 1
    Well I'm a sprinter service technician and we haven't been successfully able to reset the light as the owner manual states. We reset it using out scan tool. Its easy and quick...so worse comes to worse...take it to the dealer!
  • eddsaraneddsaran Member Posts: 1
    My EGR valve is sooting up. I had the van to my Dodge dealer 6 times.They have replaced the valve twice along with the main computer.It runs fine for 1 week and the same lack of power occurs. It only has 5,000 miles and I can't get an answer from Star the Chrysler tech center as to why.I can't have the only van doing this??
    Has anyone else experienced this problem??? Please let me know!
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know for sure whether a factory sunroof fits in a 02-06 140SHC that has the factory rear air conditioning on the inside? I'd like to know before I go to the trouble of taking out the middle headliner and start cutting!
  • attilagvalyiattilagvalyi Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to reset the radio in a 2002 dodge sprinter? I put in the wrong code and now the radio displays "WAIT" on the sreen. I disconnected the battery and still says the same thing. It never gets to the "CODE" screen again. It says "WAIT" on the screen and does nothing else?

Can anyone help?
    Sorry,
    most of us here have little experince with the newest version.

Join Sprinter_Source (dot) com and ask there... they are very helpful and there is more of a concentration of Sprinter owners with the newer verion of van (NC3V).

I have the older T1N.

Thanks,
    KenB
  • barb16barb16 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My business has outgrown a minivan. I need to buy a cargo van now, but not huge. Does anyone have experience owning both a regular van, Ford let's say, vs a Sprinter. I really like the sprinter and I am looking at buying a used 2003-2006. Even used it is still a little pricey for me so I have a few questions. How does it handle in the snow? At today's diesel prices is it still better than gas? Have there been many problems with the sprinters? Are repairs costly or more costly than a Ford or GMC gasoline model? Since I am looking for a used Sprinter, due to cost, how are they for maintenance and repairs after 60,000 or 80,000 miles? What are the most miles you have put on a Sprinter? How many years do they last? Were there ever huge problems on one particular year of the Sprinters? Or a year of great mechanics? Does it drive more comfortably than most cargo vans? How is it to sit and drive over 10 to 12 hour stretches?
    Thank you for any of your responses. I travel around the country and need a vehicle that won't leave me on the road.

Barb16
    Stay away from 2003... EGR problems (causes driveability issues and extra maintenance).
    Have driven both FORD (gas and Diesel) and Sprinter. Sprinter fuel mileage is much better overall, but a lightly loaded (but full) FORD (1ton - diesel) can get 19 MPG through Yellowstone Natn'l Park... not bad. FORD however, takes 4 gallons of motor oil every 5,000 miles (oil change interval, not oil burned), Sprinter takes 2.5 gal. every 10,0000 - 15,000 miles)... (Sprinter ASSYST tells you when to change oil, mostly AFTER 12,000 miles.)

More room in Sprinter, especially walk around room in the tall one. With the FORD, you will at least have to duck to get in/out even if you get an aftermarket high roof. Comfortable in the Sprinter, unless you must have a tilt steering wheel.

Must haves in the Sprinter: top level seats, the additional outside mirrors, cruise (very good cruise), a partition wall to keep the front area small enough for the A/C to keep you cool in the hottest weather (or rear air, which will lower mileage when in use), heavy duty alternator package (required for extra A/C, etc.). If in Northern climates, the heat will be plenty, but if you start up in really cold, then the auxillary heat (with timer) will be very good for you.

For really good use in Snow, you must have tires better than those with which the Sprinter was delivered to the DODGE and FREIGHTLINER dealers... For example, you would be smart to run Bridgestone Blizzaks (made for snow/mixed driving, and even appear to be very good wet weather tires.) Blizzaks, however, don't wear as well (or else, they lose some of their winter capabilities as the miles of use go up), so if you are up to the bother, then they should just be your late Fall to Early Spring tires.

Handling for the Sprinter is remarkable when compared to a FORD or GMC van. turning radius is much smaller than expected, seemingly tighter than that of larger front wheel drive mini vans, with MPG to match my GMC Safari (largest of the mini vans here in the USA). 21 MPG for either van, but the Sprinter gets this EVERYWHERE (in town or on road trips). Some ways to drive down Sprinter mileage: 1) hot-rod around (yes it will when the turbo kicks in the RPMs are up), 2) go over 65-70..., 3) run both A/c units.

Sprinters in Europe sometimes see 1M Kilometers (620K miles). Common meantimes to failiure is listed at 240K+ miles (not my exerience, %10 failures). Mercedes lists 480K miles as the %50 failure rate.

Certainly, with careful drivers, good maintenance, a little luck, and GOOD mechanics to work on a Sprinter, you can easily expect 300K miles of useability.

A good local Mercedes mechanic might be better for you than a Dodge dealership mechanic 9you don't appear to want a new one under warranty anyway).

I have driven all night and been very comfortable (2004 Passenger, 2500, regular roof, 8 seats, fully loaded with luggage/props.

Almost forgot to say... I have about 40K miles on mine, so I can't help you with long mileage experience, but have read of many people happy after 280K miles. Also, yer mileage may vary... vans just aren't hot-rods and those that treat them as such don't generally fair so well. However, up to 79 MPH, people don't pass me on hills due to me falling off on the speed, the 5-cyl. diesel just pumps up the turbo and pushes you right on over the top.

Ask more questions if they come to you.

KenB
  • barb16barb16 Member Posts: 2
    Ken,

Thanks for taking th etime to answer my questions. I guess my biggest concern, after viewing some of the other posts is that it seems I see quite a few people posting about how much repairs are for what seem like simple things to me. I'm concerned I'll spend $25,000 for a used van and then have large repair bills on top of it. However, I have heard the same said about Toyota cars and I've never had that experience, since they are built so well.

I have been reading that t he A/Cs do not seem to be sufficient. Since I am considering moving my business from NY to LA, the A/C could become a concern.

Thank you for the advice on the 2003, I'll make sure to keep away from it.

Barb16