Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• john2123john2123 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced pads, rotors, and calipers on my 06 sprinter. When the car is turned off the brake pedal is fine. When I turn the car on the brake pedal slowing sinks to the floor from mild pressure. What is the order of bleeding the brakes? Or is this most likely going to be the master cylinder?
  • john2123john2123 Member Posts: 2
    Too add to this.. Im begining to think I need to bleed the master cylinder before bleeding the brakes but how do you do this??
  • 049853049853 Member Posts: 2
    I need egress type windows for a Sprinter. Any ideas?
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    John2123,
    This really begs the question, why did you need new Calipers on a 2006????

Generally, I start with the fronts (run plenty of fluid through) Closest to brake booster/master cylinder first, then other front, then each of the rears...

Remember that you need to use DOT 4 (that is heavy duty, low moisture, high temp). Keep reservoir near full while bleeding. I alway use a bleeding kit now, get at auto parts house. Also bleed while engine is running to use boost to increase flow speed (to shoot the bubbles out). I have also had to go around the entire vehicle twice, especially when pushing out old (dark) fluid.

DOT3 is not corect fluid, too much moisture, and low temp threshold.

DOT5 is NOT correct, it is wrong chemical makeup and is NOT compatible.

These are guidelines I use, but are general and your specific application (Sprinter) could be different. I have not tried them out as I don't need calipers on my Sprinter yet.

Please let us know about the reason for new calipers, I am very interested in this. :confuse:

Thanks,
    KenB :shades:
    What model year(s)?

2002-2006 are pretty easy as upfitters have had them for a while.

2007-2008 for USA/Canada is certainly tougher, newer.

Thanks,
  • mitzidmitzid Member Posts: 1
    I am so frustrated. We bought a new Sprinter. We were assured by the salesman that they tend to last better than other cars with less frequent repairs. We have taken it in for warranty work way too many times. We have had to have a new battery and alternator. We had to have the passenger lock fixed. We had to have a new gear shift put in ( it would get stuck and not go above neutral -- stuck in drive or neutral). Also, this seems to be starting to almost get stuck again. When they replaced the battery they somehow messed up the radio/speaker connection so it randomly does not send sound to one of my speakers (which they claim they could not have done, but it started right after their repairs). Also, the heat does not have any varyiable temperatures. I can turn it all the way to cold for vented air and anything else is hot. It is very frustrating that we have so many repairs and I am very concerned that when the warranty runs out we will not be able to afford the car because of these major repairs. Has anyone else had so many problems? I would hope that our car is the exception.
    :lemon:
  • kurt6kurt6 Member Posts: 22
    mitzid

Your Sprinter is """NOT""" the exception,myself 11 warranty trips to MB workshop at 45K.miles.A metal junkbox on 4 wheels, would never buy a Mercedes product again.Now at 80K miles and still heaving problems,plus new MB rule $100 deductible after 39K miles for every warranty visit to your dealer.
  • mike_mcginnmike_mcginn Member Posts: 6
    This is why one does not buy early in the new
    model cycle. Same thing happens with every
    make. 2001 Lexus 300 was at the end of the
    model and very good. Lexus 2002 350 was full
    of problems. Helps to look before you leap.
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    I've heard of a lot of people having problems, but I haven't had a single one with my 2003; if you don't count not knowing the symptoms of needing to replace the fuel filter! I have about 50k miles on mine, putting 30k on in the year that I've owned it. I've driven it several 500+ mile days in a row, in 100 degree heat, I've hauled over a ton of building materials up into the Sierras, and last weekend I forded a 2' deep creek in Northern California; which was on a "shortcut" that turned out to be a 4wheel drive road!

The only thing that needs attention are the stock tires, which are still OK but nearly ready to replace, and the battery is getting a little tired. I haven't had a single mechanical problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. I'm hoping that there will be another option available in the US soon, like the Ford Transport (?) or the cool diesel passenger vans that Toyota sells in Africa. There are a LOT of sprinter-like vehicles that are available in other countries.
  • punter1punter1 Member Posts: 50
    The dodge site now lists electric sunroof and electric sliding doors for the cargo van.
    Time to order.
    Though not an exception, per se, you have had more than your share of the problems we hear about on the nit-pickingly frustrating side... they shouldn't happen, but most are not deal killer problems... the shifter problem sounds remarkably like a frayed wire somewhere. They need to trace the real problem down. Two shifters should not go out in the life of the vehicle (500K miles or more).
    Also, remember that the shifter and the accelerator are not attached to the thing they shift... they are electronic items that send signals. This is also not unique to MB, most car companies are going to fly-by-wire for most car functions.

I am NOT as happy with the new battery (MOPAR) as I was with the original (VARTA) battery... starting on COLD days not as good now.

The HEAT knob is a famous problem that is not a problem (it is by design, not sure if that is not worse)... Somewhere hidden in your van is a sensor, but I have not yet found it, nor have I got an answer in the posts I've made as to where it is either... Until that sensor is up to the temp the knob indiciates (cryptically of course as there are no markings), it will try to put out heat to get the sensor to reach that temp... Since the sensor is NOT in the air flow path (might be on the return side, but I doubt that also), the heater will work until the sensor heats up (unless you have the knob set to COLD, or very nearly so).

Knob temps range on the cold side from below 62F to much warmer than that (maybe 80 or 88F)... Not my choice of range as I prefer a cooler cabin, even in the winter (especially as I must wear clothing appropriate for working outside at least parttime). Mustn't get hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold as this is the best way to suffer bad effects of temps.

Once the van cabin is generally heated up, then the knob becomes useful for adjusting the airflow side of heat/cool on demand. My friend's fancy Corvette works exactly the same, and he doesn't like it either (his car cost twice what my Sprinter did as well).

My wife has Asthma, so we like the cabin air filter and the recirculate button... until the recirculate function just cuts off after about 15 minutes (how lovely when you are following a junker with and oil/fuel burning habit!!!

In case you hadn't noticed, the dash-top vents do NOT heat at all, they are after the A/C, but before the heater core... When I need air flow and window clearing, but not much heat, I send the heat to the windshield by the knob control and only open the dashtop vents to balance the temp.

European cars apparently earn their stripes for something OTHER than environmentals/airflow.

2006 is end of cycle or the T1N Sprinter (actually a holdover, as Europe went to the newer NC3V already).

What do they call that Toyota van? I wnat to look them up.

Thanks,
    KenB :confuse:
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    Hey Ken, My recirculate is broken, Pushing the button lights it up, but will not shut the door. The actuator moves but is broken from the door pivot. Cost to repair, 530.00. The mechanic says put a screw in it. Kind of nervous to take things apart. Have you heard of this problem before. The mech. says he has seen this before. Van goes in monday , A staples truck backed into me. Hope you have a great holiday, Tom

PS Just received the winter front mask from sprinter accessories, 105.00. Doesn't seem to fit right. Have sent them email. Will keep every one informed on this.
    Yes, have heard of the problem with the re-circ door, but have not got any better fix than a screw (or pin/cotter key). Have also heard of the eventual death of the actuator.

• clkashclkash Member Posts: 1
    Helo, On early Doge Sprinters the fuel pump does not provide enough pressure to re-prime the engine after the fuel filter change. The dodge dealers use a hand pump(similar to ones used on portable fuel tanks for outboard boat motors). They connect the priming pump to the fuel return line from the engine and suck the fuel through the filter to the engine and into the return line. They re-install the return line to the fuel filter and then you can start the engine.
    That is my understanding as well.
    The 2006 Dodge Sprinter was effectively the leftover models they did not sell in Europe the previous year.
    Europe being a much bigger Sprinter market, DC decided to stiff the USA buyers with -new- leftovers so they could keep prices high in Europe and clear the lots easily.
    It is only now that we are seeing the vehicle that came out two years ago - with all the options. This is why I waited. If they spent a billion on the redesign something had to be better.
  • orb1orb1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

With the birth of our 5th child due Jan 1st it looks like we're going to outgrow our standard 7 seat SUV. Right now we're maxed out on storage space and seating (keeping the more unruley children seperated!) with what we've got. I'm hoping to move up to bigger (and hopefully more fuel efficient) diesel Sprinter sometime this winter. Anyone know of any new or low mileage '07 nine seaters still around?

With the low dollar to euro ratio it seems like the '08 will be a little out of our budget.

Great site and I look forward to chatting with you all about the van you (and hopefully I will) love so well in the future.

Thanks,

Orb
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    You probably want a 2004-2006 model. The new ones have crappy mileage compared the old 5cyl diesel, and as with any newly redesigned vehicle, they have problems. There are still a lot of unused old models on the lots. I used TruckTraderonline to find mine. You can have about any vehicle shipped anywhere in the country for $750 or less. Ebay is good, too.
  • seadad1seadad1 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking into replacing our old Ford conversion van with a Sprinter for our family of 7, including 5 yr old triplets. We live in NE OH (near Cleveland) and nobody seems to carry these. I suppose we could travel a reasonable distance, but where do we find dealers that carry these? My wife is also concerned about the rear wheel drive in bad weather. Thanks. Tom
  • fhr57fhr57 Member Posts: 4
    I started looking at Sprinters 2 years ago.I live in Ohio east of Cleveland and went to the dealer in Geauga county. I test drove all of the models and was looking for a passenger van any color but white. The dealer was no help at all, and salesman knows nothing about the vans. I did go there once for engine light on and was very happy with the service dept. I thought I would wait for the 07s, but when they came out, things weren't looking so good. I contacted the dealer and continued to look. I ended up buying an 06 from Roanoke Motors in Illionois in June. They have a web site. They had 20-30 models on the lot. I was able to get a blue, high roof passenger van. They were very helpful and gave me a great deal. So far have 10,000 mi, no problems It handles just as good in the snow and ice as a Ford. I just drove to Colorado to ski and was in storms both ways as well as deep snow in the mountains. It goes through everything as good as my Fords. Been driving Ford vans since 1975 and replaced my 95 with 06 Sprinter. Still have a 2000 Ford for work.
    The combination of ESR/ESP/ABS... (Electronic Spin Retarder, Electronic Stability Program, and Antilock Brake System) are able to cut down on rear drive anomalies on most surfaces that have some traction.

Like any vehicle, the Sprinter cannnot overcome the rules of physics... slower is better in questionable condintions. Also, many people have recommended different tires for Winter conditions (Bridgestone Blizzaks are a commonly mentioned good choice). As in the past, it is best that you don't run the winter tires year 'round as they wear away the tread features that make them so good in the worst conditions.

I prefer the the 2006, and a few are still around, but not so much selection I would think. Less power (but plenty for most people), but (2 MPG) better mileage than the latest model.

• 122465122465 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you have had any luck with your brakes yet? I have an 06 with 25,000 miles on it and I am taking it in again on Monday to have the brakes looked at. They have replaced pads the 1st time and rotors and pads front and back the last two times. I am about to pull my hair out. They just cna't seem to come up with a fix. I was just curious if you have had any luck yet.
    Thanks Sean
    Anybody know the life of glow plugs,ERG valve, glow plug module,ERG gasket? My engine light (little motor) on the dash comes and goes. So to the dealer I go. they say I need all of them. List as follows, ERG valve 439.75, ERG gasket 5.85, 1 gallon coolant 15.00, labor 165.95, Glow plugs (1 )156.55, Glow plug module 104.84, labor 255.95 and shop supplies 20.00 Labor total 421.90, Total Parts 741.99, Tax 44.51 Total of all $1208.40 I have 92K miles, an 04 got it 12/31/2004. I know that the service writer gets a % of the take. Seems that every time I go there its 5-6 hundred bucks?? Input would help. Thanks, Tom :cry: :mad:
    So I guess that you didn't get the 100K mile drivetrain warranty... EGR and glow plugs, and glow plug module?

The happy part is that they only charged you $15.00 for a gallon of coolant, it is special (G05) HOAT and a gallon (undiluted) costs that much (maybe more) at Pep Boys. Otherwise, they didn't put the right anti-freeze in and you now need to change it ALL out.

On this and other forums we have discussed that most of the time the EGR valve actually just needs cleaned when it first malfunctions, but it is not common for a factory mechanic to do this anymore.

As seen in the ebay and other on-line sources that glow-plug was way over priced, the glow plug module is often more though, the labor was way high unless they had to move the engine to change it out.

I think we have talked about getting a local mercedes (non-dealership) mechanic to start working on your van... I think now is the time... you've gotten close to 100K miles and your dealership is not giving you a good feeling about service. If you have time to check out local options in mercedes or diesel mechanics, especially to start a relationship you can trust, you probably should.

MB, like Cadillac, Lexus, Mitsubishi and a few others have a reputation of high parts costs (without being exotic... Ferrari parts are insane). This does not, however, mean that Dodge should be boosting the prices of simple replacement parts... these are trucks, and not high-end cars/suvs.

Thanks,
    Kenneth
    Hi ken, After hearing the price I refused and was charged 96.00 for the effort. The van was running so off I went. A friends next door neighbor is a diesel mech at a ford dealer and has a pole barn well stocked to work on cars. Today the van started good this morning and the little light was on. After doing a couple jobs and the o/s temp reached about 25 The light went out. So on my first job I started it up and put on the heater ,,,NO MOTOR, Great.. It kicked on after about 3-4 mins??, This afternoon I noticed another head light bulb blew. I think the count now is 7-8, think the van has a mind of its own, Oh by the way I was in target and they sell the bulb for 7.99 All this time I have gone to auto zone or murrys auto and paid 15.75. Also its rusting under the rear door glass, AAHHHHHH. I dont know what to do at this point, Trade it in on another van (american)?? Thanks as always for your expertise, Tom :mad: :confuse: :sick:
    1.Head light bulb problem:Sprinters notorious for bad ground connection,add or splice into the existing ground wire close to head light and attach to any clean body
    screws.Check groundscrew (firewall above battery)

2.H&AC booster motor:Check 2 pluckin connetion,one close to the motor,one about 12" next to cabin airfilter.
  • rockymtn67rockymtn67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sprinter with 37,000 miles. When I start it, I let it go through the glow-plug cycle first. It starts fine. It accelerates fine (in neutral). But when I shift it into drive or reverse, the engine will die. This will happen repeatedly until I let the engine warm up for perhaps 5-10 minutes. Then when in drive, it acts like it is in overdrive, and will hardly move for a while. After a few more minutes, it runs fine. Anyone have a cause and solution?
    Recent fuel filter change?

If not, do so now...

Cold weather make it worse???

Fuel quality problem? use Power Service (white bottle with red/black lettering) to help get rid of emulsion/clouded/gelled fuel due to cold weather effects.

Power Service Silver bottle in summer (improves Cetane rating more).

KenB :sick:
  • johendyjohendy Member Posts: 1
    Would you have any reservations in getting the '05 sprinter? Are the 2005 models a good year? It only has 25k miles, what (in dollars) do you expect my maintenance to be for the next 3 years? I would appreciate hearing your best guess on this, thanks
    sorry for the delay... been in the big fat middle of my job being "out-sourced" probably to Argentina.

2005 is a good year... mainly you need to see all of the maint. records so far.

Regular oil, filter, and such excluded, I (personally) would not expect ANY maintnenance for the next three (3) years of normal useage.

Your oil change (10K miles) would be about $90 including 10 qts. of good synthetic oil. At a dealership it might be double that.

Your fuel filter change due at 36K miles is the cost of the filter $40-$70, about three clamps, and a TORX driver if you don't already have a set... A dealership quoted me about 4 times that ($180)... (I am using $45 filter cost)... (I got my filter for less than $40 and it is totally OEM).

You'll need an air filter or two (in three years) at about $34 each (autozone in OK does carry them, and in the high-dust version at that).

If you hit 80K miles you'll need the tranny service... fully synthetic ATF (several sources are OK per the Dodge info) and the filter/seal set ($85 +/-). At a dealership this is VERY expensive... do it yourself and you MUST keep track of ALL fluid drained/lost to get the level back correctly... (no dipstick for tranny)... Expect the dealership to be 3 times your cost in parts/fluids OR MORE... Also consider that most enthusiasts and maint. specialists are expecting the tranny service at 60K miles for the life of the vehicle (not the once at 80K miles that was advertised).

If the A/C and or heater/cooling options have all been exercised regularly they should continue to be OK through 3 more years of service. But you might need a cabin air filter (depending on dust levels you encountered) I would change this at 40K miles ($40 or so, install yourself).

The worst of the little nagging problems were gone from 2004-2006 US models, but a few things pop up now and then... that is why you want all of the old records possible.

Passenger or cargo?

Good Luck,
    KenB

now I owe VALK a better answer on his ESPAR questions... :surprise: :blush:
    Mercedes is unveiling the 4x4 Sprinter in June!
    Hopefully Dodge gets them for 2009.
  • ksmith7ksmith7 Member Posts: 1
    i keep having this issue where the engine light comes on, i lose power and pull over. i turn off the motor and wait. turn it back on and the van starts and drives fine. sometimes the light stays on, sometimes it goes off until it happens again.
    two weeks ago this happened in Asheville and i got it to the dealer and they said- bad alternator. we replaced that and two weeks later the same problem.
    Since the van still runs, i can't be the alternator.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    :confuse: :confuse:
  • kyingkying Member Posts: 61
    What year is your Sprinter? It happened to my 2006 when it had only 3000 miles on it (about a year ago). I don't know whether it would happen on and off, because I took it right to the dealer. It's the infamous turbo resonator. They put in a new one, and now my Sprinter has 20000 miles, and it hasn't happened again (knock on wood!!!).
  • foxtail1975foxtail1975 Member Posts: 1
    van loses power when shifting from 4th to over drive you hold the pedel to the floor and nothing happens. let your foot up off the pedel and then back on and the van stars to go again. cant seems to find out what is going on! please let me know if any one knows what is going on. im am useing a modis to find the problem but its not all the time once a day to 5 times a day you never know when it will happen
    thanks james
  • sprintergodsprintergod Member Posts: 5
    I have a customer attempting to change his fixed sunroof to a manual sunroof on his 2005 sprinter. I have brought in for him the sunroof handle and am probably need to bring in the plate to mount it.

I am wondering if anybody has attempted this yet and if so, I am on the right path to make this work?
  • gemrozgemroz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where i can find a used or rebuilt sprinter engine? Or a site i could look on the internet? Thanks everyone
    ebay has many
  • santomansantoman Member Posts: 7
    i bought all the torx tools so i could work on my 2005 sprinter and replace the fan belt--my t30 is too small and the t40 is too big--is there a special tool for the belt tensioner?? if so where do i get one --its bad enough i have to scrap my hand just to get to the tensioner but then i can't get the belt off

thanks for the help

dave
    i've looked at ebay and even bought my torx on ebay--can you give me a link or part #--is it under the sprinter parts section??--i'm sorry but i have looked

dave
  • sarrerabsarrerab Member Posts: 1
    I cannot get our dealer to figure out this issue because it doesn't consistently repeat itself. When I turn on the car and the A/C is off and I flip the switch, it makes a horrible awful groaning noise with vibration right below the center console. A/C kicks on fine. Any ideas so that I can tell the dealer what to fix because it does not come up in diagnostics.
  • pdacpdac Member Posts: 7
    sarrerab, can you try to isolate the problem? See if the blower fan is causing this. Without the A/C on, try different fan speeds to see if the blower fan is causing it. My blower fan failed, and vibrated the center floor area on speeds 3 and 4. 1 and 2 would work ok. Is your Sprinter equipped with rear A/C? When you flip the switch, is this for the front or rear A/C. If it's rear AC, most likely the belt is slipping - it has its own belt. Another great site for help is the Sprinter forum at sprinter-source.com.
  • russ457russ457 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2006 Sprinter Van that has been modified to act as a mobile office. It has the MB diesel engine with 27K miles. From this site it appears as though I should RUN from this van. It appears the mileage is not what they say (25 mpg) and the maintenance is very steep. I do like the van but if it is not going to be cost effective, then I shall just pass. Looking for others input. I have a chevy van with 75K miles on it and it has never had a problem..(knock on wood). Seem like I should just modify the van I have now...just want to hear from others who own Sprinters and their input. Thanks in advance

Russ
  • bobselectricbobselectric Member Posts: 8
    I traded in a 2003 Ford E250 van for an 06 Sprinter back in Jan. 06. This is the best decision I have ever made for several reasons. (1) I knew that the Dodge dealers claim of 660 miles/tank is pure horse hockey, however I am currently getting 450- 500 miles/tank, with a fully stocked van for Electrical construction. Most of my traveling is around town, and the 03 Ford, with the same load and driving habits maxxed out at 300-- not 301, 300 miles/tank. (2) I can basically fit anything in the Sprinter, including a 28' extension ladder. I can also stand up (hunched over) in the back. Believe me-- the wear and tear on your knees from being in a normal van is alone worth the cost of a Sprinter. (3) Ok --diesel costs more-- my last fill-up cost about $120 (23 gal @ $5.19). The time previous to that was about two weeks. The Ford used to take between $85 & $100 every FOUR days!!!! (This is when you could get gas @ 2.99- 3.19 / gallon, in 2005). (4) I have had the truck long enough that it brought me business-- as a novelty with customers, or through other contractors who would ask me about the truck. (5) 10K oil change intervals... my last cost $120 with full synthetic oil. My Ford would have had three $60 changes in the same period.
    I have not had any problems mechanically with the Sprinter, knock wood, and just hit 22,000 miles. If I did however, I would not go to Dodge. I am not comfortable with their service people---but I also have a Toyota and wouldn't go to Toyota service either.
    I would not hesitate to buy these trucks--- they are trucks, not vans. The ride isn't as comfortable as the Ford was-- but the benefits I have received are definitely worth it.
    Thanks for the input.......anyone else? This site is just filled with so many problems that I am very nervous.

Bob, I thank yopu for taking the time and giving me your input.
  • sprintermansprinterman Member Posts: 14
    Hello Russ.Most people that post are people with issues/problems.Don't forget there are thousands of Sprinters out there and groups such as this one are mechanisms
    to help us solve problems mostly.
    I purchased an 06 long and tall for my electrical construction Co. now with 55 K on same with not even a whisper of a problem.I do have a bit of a whine noise in the tranny at 2000 RPM but that is common for the 5 cylinder automatic Sprinter.
    I travell across the Western Canadian prairie provinces for my work ,so needless
    to say the average 25 MPG that I get is quite nice.I carry a stocked warehouse so to speak with me,approx 2500 lbs,and it performs very well,uphill,etc. and at speeds of
    65 to 70 mph.I did get 28 mpg at one time and if I am careful with my driving ,I know I can achieve it again.
    This beats my Ford 1 Ton hands down.
    I did install a set of overloads ,because of the constant weight.
    I also have the deluxe seats and I find it comfortable,more so than my old Ford.
    My suggestion would be to get a history of service if possible on this unit you are looking at.
    They are fantastic machines as far as I am concerned.

Go for it !
    Best regards
    Guy
    What a great site. This is what I initially thought...then in my research, I was getting all bad stuff. Nice to hear good stories. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help me. Nice to know good people still exist!

Russ
    I also have a 06 with 16,000 miles. I checked this site often before I bought. Looked at them for 2+ years. I thought the same thing. I test drove many times over that time at the local dealer. I replaced a 95 Ford 250. We use it for a passenger/travel van. Always get at least 20 mpg, sometimes a little more on long trips. Thats almost 2x more then my Ford. I live in ne Ohio and had no problems with snow, ice, etc. I was going to change out the stock tires, but ended up running them through the winter. I've been to the dealer 2x for oxygen sensor, and thats it. I was holding out for a 07, but thought I should wait till I see more feedback on them, so decided to go with the 06. I bought it new from a dealer that advertises on the internet. This site is great if you have an issue.
    Frank
    I have a 06, and every time I turn on the rear air the same thing happens. It sounds like the engine is going to fall out. I figure it is the compressor kicking on, because once the groan stops the air works fine.
    Frank
    has anyone replaced the fan belt --if so what did you use and how do i get one