Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• I have a 2007 Winnebago View on a 2006 Sprinter 3500. I had a conversation today with RBM Mercedez Benz Service Manager in Atanta today. He said they had applied for a Sprinter franchise but it had not been awarded yet. I asked about the warranty but he did not know yet how that would work.

I would expect the warranty to just carry over but we will see. I would be surprised to learn that Dodge enhanced the original MB Sprinter warranty.

What is the difference between the warrarty offered by Freightliner and Dodge. Freightliner is owned by Mercedez Benz so that might be a good indicator.
  • The mercedes press release explicitly states that they are taking over service so I would be surprised if you could not take Dodge Sprinters there to be repaired.

Also, it has been reported that the diesel in the 2010 models for USA will be upgraded to the 210hp Bluetec 3 liter. Hopefully that is true and you will also now be able to get the NAV and the electric doors and the keyless entry options too - like a regular mercedes.
  • Help me somebody! 3 weeks ago, the remote locking mechanism for my 2006 Sprinter started misbehaving. Instead of locking the van when the lock button is pushed twice, it now locks and unlocks, then locks, unlocks and locks again. Also, the red telltale on the dash now reads open for the back door when the door is locked and reads locked when the door is unlocked. Anyone have any light to shed? I bought the van used 16 months ago, lived and travelled in it for a year and put 33,000 miles on it with minimal issues. It has been at the dealer for 10 days now and the tech is still shaking his head... Thanks in advance
  • Hi #1254 I just got my Dodge Sprinter 2006 and I had the same problem with mine and it was just the contacts on one of the doors.
    So I cleaned the plates and pins, then all was well again. Check each door to be sure they are connecting and are clean and you will be happy again # 1254.
    I do hope that this helps if I am not to late, and someone elsehas already helped you.
  • vic26vic26 Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your feedback, much appreciated as we were quite stymied and so was the local Dodge dealer when we finally took the van in. The dealer tested everything and finally replaced the 'brain' under the diver's seat and replaced the slider's switch to the tune of close to $1000...(OUCH!) however, we now have peace of mind and if the situation recurs. We had cleaned all the contacts and will never know whether that would have resolved the issue or not although, the tech hooked the van up to the analyzing gizmo they have and there was definitely a malfunction somewhere. Thanks again. Maybe our exchange will help someone down the line.
  • Given that Mercedes is taking over Sprinter, perhaps this forum should be moved or referenced under Mercedes. In only 6 weeks, only Mercedes will sell the new ones and hopefully I will get a new one unless the dollar completely collapses.
  • I know there is a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter sold outside of the US, but have not heard anything about the Dodge Sprinter being picked up by them. Do you have information about MB selling the Sprinter in the States?

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Automotive News reported 11/9/09 that 100 out of 150 Mercedes dealerships have signed on to sell Sprinters in the U.S. in 2010.
  • I understand that RBM-North Mercedes in Alpharetta, Ga. will be a Sprinter dealer, but it will not be advertised until Jan. 1 when the Dodge contract runs out with Mercedes. My understanding is that RBM-North Mercedes will be able to honor all Dodge Sprinter warranties and sell Dodge Sprinter parts.
  • I just got my Sprinter a couple of months ago. When we purchased it we did not realize it did not have cruise control. Does anyone know if it can be added, and if it can where do I find the part? Thanks alot!
  • My 2006 2500 passenger model, white, began showing rust at the drip rail welds over a year ago. I sent photos to my dealer and went round a little bit without any satisfaction, and then the dealer went out of business. I know this is a widespread problem; almost every Sprinter I see has rust spots. Especially the cowling under the windshield.
    Has anyone had any experience with getting any warranty coverage/repair on rust after the official warranty period?
    Thanks!
  • Has anyone had any luck getting information regarding the stock Sprinter van radios, can they be set up to get SAT radio reception using the factory wiring harness?
  • try the website for "outside vans" which is a upfitter in Oregon, great people I don't know if they can help you.
  • I am the Sprinter manager at RBM-North Mercedes-Benz in Alpharetta, Ga. You should take this to your local Mercedes dealer that is Sprinter certified after Jan. 4th, 2010. I understand that Mercedes dealers will be able to warranty other Sprinter products. They will be able to help you if the paint is still in warranty. Not sure about your particular case. Best leave that to research at your Mercedes dealer.
  • "Sprinter manager at RBM-North Mercedes-Benz"

Great!

Do you have a link to the 2010 specs ?
  • Also, is it true that we do not get the OM651 4 cylinder diesel? It should be good for 5mpg more and it is very powerful.

It is the most popular engine in Europe.

$4 gas is coming back sooner or later.

These are the published UK mpg specs - note that UK gallons are 4.5 liers and US gallons are 3.8 liters.

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/media_library/unitedkingdom/mpc_unitedki- ngdom/ng_vans/new_vans/downloads/sprinter_fuel_consumption.object-Single-MEDIA.d- ownload.tmp/Sprinter%20Euro%205%2028.05.09%20-%20VCA%20Fuel%20Database.xls
  • Mercedes cannot advertise anything until the Dodge contract is up on Jan. 4th, 2010.
    Send me an email and I will try and get you something
    rcastleberry@rbmnorth.com
  • Right now the 6cyl is the only engine offered for 2010, but there is speculation that Mercedes will bring it to the US by 2011 because of what you mentioned.