Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• tronno22556tronno22556 Member Posts: 32
    I noticed a few people complaining about the lack of heat in their engines when idling and wondering why the Germans focus on the engine rather than the passengers.

The reason is the fuel type itself.

Diesel has a higher temperature at which it combusts, so to optimize the combustion, the engine needs to stay warmer.

Gasoline combusts at a lower temperature.
    Spriter will be replaced in 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Sprinter
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    Is the other way around, Gas engines run hotter, and diesel engines run cooler? :confuse: Ken baker seems to know alot about the van. Are you out there Ken?

Whats this about 2007 Replacing the van :surprise: Hope they don't drop it off the planet. Tom
    Yes, gasoline burns hotter, and therefore the engine is hotter.

Diesel burns with a lower temperature and therefore the engine is cooler. A diesel engine runs better the hotter it gets. Diesels need to run hotter to burn cleaner, especially with emissions requirements.

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/cooling_the_big_rigs.htm

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/dieselgas.htm
  • 3dadd3dadd Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if a good Van conversion company in the DC area that knows the Sprinter. I have 2005 118 passenger van that I use as a family Van for car pool and long trips. I looked around at local (Annapolis) copmpanies but most of these guys have never worked on a Sprinter and dont' have access to seats and covers. I don;t mind traveling to another nearby state.
    thanks,

3dadd
    I have 2005 with 6K miles on it and have had it in the shop several times due to the Engine Light. My Dodge dealer has replaced a few parts including the main computer. The van is also only getting 19MPG and at best it as got 21MPG.I don;t haul anything , it used only a family van. What should I expect for milage in a 118 Passenger Van? COuld it have anything to do with the Engine light?

It goes back to the shop on Monday. The real PROBLEM with Dodge service is their LACK of techs. Our GlenBurnie dealership only has one guy! If he;s sick or out in training, we stuck until he gets caught back up. Thank goodness for the BusinessLink loaner. Last time they worked on it, they has it for several weeks. I willsay that my dealership does try their best, But so far, by the next tank full, the light goes on.

Any good service places in the Annapolis/DC area?
    Our 118 has a Aux Heater and Sometimes at night it goes on. I have read the manual (which is awful) several times and still don;t get it. ANy simple instructions online? How much fuel does it typically use? What is the easy way by looking at the LCD to see if it is programmed to come on?

thanks,

3dadd
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The van is also only getting 19MPG and at best it as got 21MPG.

That seems low. I just drove a new MB Cruiser full size Sprinter Conversion Van from Colorado to CA. We averaged 21.79 MPG. That was mostly hwy driving much of it 70-75 MPH. It included 10 degree weather and a little snow through NM. It had plenty of power going through the mountains. I have not done much city driving so cannot tell you if it gets good mileage with stop and go driving.
    Well, I did the "fax attack" on 46 Dodge dealers from past Richmond, VA to past Baltimore, MD.

Of the 46 Dodge dealers, I received 11 bids from 9 Sprinter dealers, 18 Dodge dealers replied the didn't carry Sprinter, and the others didn't reply at all.

Of the 11 bids, the best one came from Montrose Dodge & Sprinter in Germantown, MD. The 2nd best came from Safford Dodge in Fredericksburg, VA.

I had a tough time deciding between the 2 dealers, but in the end it came down to who had the vehicle more suited for what I needed.

"Fax Attack" comes from Used Car Buying Tips. You simply fax all dealers with a request for a bid, and they compete against each other. You never need to talk to a sales person, and you never need to step foot into a dealership. A lot of stress gone, instantly.

It took about an hour to figure all the dealers I wanted to target, then about an hour to call them up and request the fax number for their New Vehicle Sales Department.

Then 20 minutes to compile a fax with what you want, and an hour to fax them all.

Then after a few days, I searched each non-responding dealer for an email address and emailed them the same thing.

Then after a day, re-fax explaining that we hadn't heard from them.

I probably spend a day's worth of faxing, emailing, responding to emails, etc. So I feel I shopped 9 different Sprinter dealers in a day.

In the end, this is what I got:

2006 Dodge Sprinter 140WB Regular Roof White.
    With extra:
    Accessory Group (Front Passenger Handle, Front Reading/Map Lamps)
    Comfort Seating Group (Luxury Bucket Driver's Seat, Manual Driver & Pass Lumbar Adjust, Front Passenger's Luxury Bucket Seat)
    Maintenance Group ("Low Washer Fluid" Warning Lamp, Maintenance Monitoring Sys (ASSYST), Air Filter Restriction Indicator)
    Power Convenience Group (Power Heated Mirrors, Keyless Entry, Power Windows, Power Locks)
    150-Ampere Alternator
    2 Additional Keys
    Additional Parabolic Mirrors
    Rear Gray Fascia with Step Pad
    Speed Control
    and they are going to install an aftermarket hitch and wiring.
    Total price (with destination and less hitch) $32,500.

I paid (with destination, hitch, 3% taxes, tags, fees, etc.) $32041.07.

I dealt with William at Montrose. I highly recommend him. The service was excellent and he answered all my emails I sent him quickly, and accurately. No high pressure. He knows what he's doing. I only spent an hour with paperwork at the dealership.

I couldn't take it home tonight, because the hitch wasn't on there yet, but he's going to be driving it down to me tomorrow (hopefully) after it's on.

As I was filling out the paperwork, I asked the guy doing the paperwork (not William) about Dodge and 2007 and he told me that the rumor is that Dodge is going to be making a bigger model.

I'd think it's getting wider.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    Sorry Tom,
    I've been off for a couple of surgeries and other family sicknesses...

This guy is spot-on for the reason as far as I can tell... Diesel is less VOLATILE than Gasoline and is dependent on the temperature rise due to compression (above 1500 Deg. F.) to ignite (when the glow plugs are off).

All engines run more efficiently as they run hotter (if they can run properly). A higher compression ratio makes this happen quite easily. The problem with many of them is that you start making nasty nitrogen compounds at the higher combustion temps as you incorporate nitrogen from the air into the exhaust product.

The diesel fuel has more energy per gallon than gasoline, but being less volatile, it doesn't release it quite as easily... cool cylinder walls and heads will make the process less efficient by causing some of the fuel to condense on the metal surfaces and either be wiped off by the cylinder rings (and partially be run off into the crankcase), or be purged by the action of the intake/exhaust cycle (polution, carbon, and other problems).

KenB :confuse:
    Ken
    Sorry to hear about the surgeries and all. Hope all is well. The dealer had my van all day. Had the seat back replaced because of the broken lumbar inflator bag. Also they had to order me a rear shock, (leaking). Had a new air filter put in that was 48.00 for labor and parts. Are they hard to install? Took the van around to the paint dept. The manager looked at it. I told him that I was going out of warranty in 1600 miles and thought something was wrong with the paint. Getting a few rust spots on the paint. It sure doesn't seem to be very thick paint!!!. That I wanted to get it documented. Well he didn"t. My salesman gave me the number of the area rep on sprinters. Will let you know whats what. OH and by the way, They ordered the wrong seat :confuse: Did not have an arm rest,,Duh. take care, Tom
    Tronno, Fax attack sounds like a big time saver. I bet you are bummed you couldn't take it with you!. Sounds like a good deal. Let us know how you set it up for your family and shop. Tom :shades:
  • sdkiefersdkiefer Member Posts: 2
    I posted a message awhile back, about #357 I think, reference bad paint and rust coming through. I have 04, silver van. At 20 months on the road noticed several rust spots down the right side, upon further inspection all sides of van had same issue, only the hood was still "good".
    Went to dealer with 34800 miles on van, Body shop mgr said "good to go" as was under 3/36 warranty when he thought all I was talking about was fixing right side of van (must be a monetary threshold dealer needs factory authorization to exceed on warranty work.
    Shop contacted regional bean counter who said they would be willing to chip in $2400 towards a $3800 total repaint (less the hood and roof). I pulled out warranty manual, states everything except tires are covered... Told body shop mgr to back-brief the dealer owner on situation. Owner called me 48hrs later, tried to sell me on the great initial offer, I did not back down. Told him how I was driving around a great "negative ad" for Dodge and how I already paid $890 on the invoice for a paint job... He contacted a new "bean counter" and the body shop mgr called me back 3 days later with factory auth to cover 100% of repair cost.
    I had all sides, back, and area above front windshield repaint ed up to the drip rail, had 4 new wheels installed (they were rusting as well), had them rotate the tires seeing how they were already off, and 2 new rear light lense assemblies, as they were filled with dirt...

If any panels have damage on them, they are "out of warranty" window. I had hit a deer earlier, so had to pay for broken parts and paint repairs to left 1/4 panel myself.

Check your paint!! Seems factory white is the way to go in the future!

Steve
    SDKIEFER, I need to call my regional been counter. I will use the same approach. This is really getting me mad. Yeh we paid extra for the paint. I have some bubbles. I wonder if other silver vans are the same. Will keep you informed, I have 1600 miles left on warranty. Tom
    Called the regional today. Told her the problem, A bigger wig will call me monday. She said she has heard the same thing about the silver problem. Will keep you up dated. 1450 miles and counting down :( Tom
    Check your paint!! Seems factory white is the way to go in the future!

My dealer had a silver one for $1000 more than the white. I like white better and am so glad I went that route. Sorry to hear of your problems. I will keep an eye on the steel rims.
    Ok, big wigs called the dealer who called me for an inspection. They washed it and he looked it over and saw a few areas of concern. It is in the hands of the big wigs again. My salesman told me that they have always had problems with the silver. Yes I would say that any color than silver is better. I can hardly wait to see it, six years down the road. Will keep you updated on the continuing saga of, As the stomach turns! Tom Oh, saw some rust on the wheels. Not much but for a year old!! :mad:
  • lotusjaylotusjay Member Posts: 17
    Okay, I give up. How many horns is a Sprinter supposed to have? Mine has one, visible behind the grille on the passenger side. By itself this horn manages a one-note BEEP! that pales when competing with the smallest Kia. I've searched all over the engine compartment for another horn (that must be disconnected) without results. Is there another horn? :confuse: Thanks.
    mercedes must want to be the QUIET company... that position is already taken by "Northwestern Mutual Insurance".

My kids laugh about the tiny horn on the big "BOX", "WHALE", "MOBY", "Great White Whale", "Party Van", or "VOX" (Van/bOX)... which ever name suites them at the time.

Planning on a "modification", like a second horn of different tone to harmonize, add volume, or clash with the one already installed. :shades:

KenB
  • zweigsrdczweigsrdc Member Posts: 3
    I am likely to purchase one of these to use as a replacement for a Toyota Sienna. My wife will be driving it primarily.

We have only been able to see one sample of a 140 WB in the passenger configuration and it seems a bit unwieldy for my wife to be tooling around in.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to locate a 118 to look at for comparison sake.

Anyone have any experience with the 118 version and /or suggestions on how to locate one for a test drive or observation.

Thanx
  • hawk8hawk8 Member Posts: 31
    go to dodge.com, click search inventory don't enter zip code click GO>click advanced search enter zip code the miles you are willing to travel and Sprinter under dealer service> search inventory And search all dealers to see if they have a sprinter 118.
    Can't say that my (2004, 10 passenger, usually leave out the 2-seat row) 140" 2500 HC drives like a Toy/Sienna, but it does handle quite well, comparably easy to turn/Park to a GMC Safari EXTended (Largest MiniVan available when new). I just don't try to park in the closest/tightest parking spot. My wife is handicapped, so she usually parks it up close in a designated spot. SHE LOVES IT!!! Drives/handles so tight and feels glued to rails on the highway when compared to most anything I have ever driven on a regular basis.

With any Sprinter, backing up is going to be a new experience. Get the best mirrors offered, parabolic, oversized, etc. You will really want them if you don't get them. Just this morning, my wife drove it to haul my daughter's Class project when no one else could fit it in (intact). I have added on (stick-on) parabolic mirrors and it is the only thing she still doesn't like about driving our Sprinter. :(

Only gusty sidewinds give a hint of instability that would translate into driver corrections or the need to be more attentive. I drove 5 years in a 15 passenger Ford (starting when new) and it never drove like this and showed signs of real change (for the worse) when loaded with just 11-12 people(no luggage). If anything, this sprinter feels better loaded (better ride). 6 people and enough camping gear to fill the back end and it was still handling great and riding level not feeling top heavy or roly-poly.

I am only dissapointed by the mileage (hahaha)I only get 20 MPG... was expecting closer to 25 MPG. Still need to ask the question: "Why do some get close to 50% better mileage than others? I have talked to owners who get nearly 30MPG, and I get only 20MPG? I am NOT a crazy driver. I will admit that I NEVER go 55 MPH for more than about 4 miles at a time. I go the speed limit 60+ or around town 35-45 (stop and go), but I don't race around either.

Last, but not least, the ESP (Electronic Stability Program, anti spin (ASR), and Antilock Brakes work incredibly well together. On very slick side streets yesterday I was trying out the various modes quite effectively. At least if you're not going too fast to begin with (well maybe a little too fast, but not out of hand) this vehicle just does what you ask it to: stop, start, turn, turn a tight circle, accelerate around a corner, etc. with no bad behavior. No spinouts, no slip-sliding away, no loss of control. I will say, that I can imagine that the dually (1-ton) version will not be as good on ice/snow due to excessive floatation effect (the single tire version concentrates pressure on the contact patch and cuts through snow better).

KenB :shades:
    Ok, Last I posted they we're going to talk to the higher ups. Well the big wigs have spoken and they are going to paint both sides, top to bottom. Possibility of the hood also. They took pics and will call me when to bring it in. The manager said, " They know they have a problem with the silver". If you have a silver van check it over real close. They said they will have it for 7-10 days. Asked about a loaner car, said he would check into it. Will keep you posted on progress. Tom :shades:
    Oh, forgot. 64 miles till warranty is up :( Got it in under the wire. Tom
    with a 4-11 axle ratio can a 158 3500 sprinter cargo van tow more than the 5000 lbs recommended ? on flat road.
    hawk8,
    yes... it can ;) , and no... it is not recommended :( . One of the guys on the forums I watch says he tows 9,000 lbs. very often. First gear on the automatic does not use lock-up, so the startup should be smooth. Gears 2-5 use lockup, hence the fairly good engine braking. Obviously you are probably going to need trailer brakes if you can get them wired properly.

The wiring is not straight forward, and requires an interface module, but then you may already know that.

KenB
    Ken,
    helpful as always, thanx for the info.
    Interesting Sprinter news:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sprinter.html

A video (in German) of the new Sprinter:

The New Sprinter
    My question is, How can you tell if your turbo is working? On other cars there is a light that comes on to let you know its on. ??? Thanks, Tom
  • kenbob88kenbob88 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm considering a 2006 Sprinter passenger wagon, 118" wheelbase (if I can find one), to replace my totaled Dodge B1500 Ram Wagon (which is not made anymore). I'm questioning the Sprinter's power and pickup. I haven't driven one yet, and I've never owned a diesel vehicle. Any input on your satisfaction with performance issues would be appreciated.
    I plan to use the Sprinter as I did my Ram Wagon, as a dual-duty work/family vehicle. I'm wondering how the Sprinter will do on the long haul up Hwy. 395 to Mammoth Lakes, and also how it will handle those strong gusty winds.
    My only alternative purchase is the Ford E150 8-passenger van, which I believe gets lousy mileage, but has all the conveniences and comforts.
    Again, I would appreciate your indulging my ignorance as a rookie regarding the realm of Sprinters.
    Thanks!
    Hi again; just so y'all don't think I'm a lazy so-and-so, I did go back through previous posts and found some helpful info (post #364 from KenB was very useful--thanks).
    But as I said, I would really like to hear from Sprinter owners regarding acceleration and performance.
    (My old Ram Wagon with the V-6 was actually pretty zippy, and I got used to that.)
    Thanks.
    Wow. I have been perusing previous posts, and now I'm reconsidering buying a Sprinter. Leaks, smoking, droning noises, rattling doors, ergonomic issues, brake noise, scary in crosswinds, paint that cracks and bubbles and chips, to recount just a few of the many woes and lamentations. This vehicle seems to be an extremely high-maintenance commodity. I already have a wife; I don't need another dependent that requires constant attention and coddling.
    Am I just reading about the Sprinter's dark side because the only folks participating in this forum are owners who have experienced problems?
    Please, assuage my fears, because I want to believe!
    You can hear the high-pitch whizzing sound.

Turn off the radio and you'll hear the noise when accelerating up a hill or whatever.

When I'm going up any sort of hill my Turbo kicks in.

In fact, I'm wondering if my turbo should be kicking in as much as it does.
    Read this:

Sprinter drives 22 times around the world without repair

Klaus Schade drove his newspaper courier Sprinter 900,000 km without repairs in the 10 years he owned it. Only regular maintenance was necessary, of course. That's 559,234 miles, the equivalent of driving 22 times around the world. Since the introduction in 1995 more than one million Sprinters were sold while also receiving multiple "Transporter of the Year" awards. (from MB press release)
    12/22/2005

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sprinter.html
    go on a drive and set the cruise control if you have one... other wise, just gently maintain the same speed without down shifting. When you start going up a hill, you will hear the turbo start winding up as the engine control computer (or your foot on the pedal) adds fuel to the combustion process. It is the excess heat and continuing expansion of the exhaust gasses that drive the turbo. As mentioned, there will be a decidedly higher pitched whine if you have any of your high-end hearing range left after years of industrial or music/noise induced hearing loss.

Simply put though, a 2.7 litre turbo-diesel with a turbo that doesn't run will be noticeably under power, like trying to tow a Hummer with a Civic.

KenB
    KenBob88,
    Well, nobody passes us if we don't want them to or they are willing to break laws, burn tires, and/or waste lots of gas... :shades: at least until we hit 79 MPH (the top speed acheived, per GPS, when the Speedo reads about 82).

We never really know just how well an engine an transmission can be matched on normal utility vehicles here in the USA. For that kind of magic you just seem to have to drive a sports car... not anymore!!! The Sprinter that is imported here is rather top-or-the-line: the biggest engine, the automatic transmission, larger tires (except on the dually 1-tonne).

Simply put, the drive train is truly matched for power, performance, and (incredibly) efficency. 155 HP sounds low until you consider the torque specs which are nice for pulling away from the pack. What makes it all great, grand and glorious is that the transmission, the engine, the turbo, and the engine computer do a very good job of USING the power available and making plenty of it for the job at hand: accelerating, cruising, towing (within acceptable limits), stopping, etc. All matched VERY well.

Consider that the engine is truly designed for million-mile performance, and the power band is very reasonable, and especially that the highest HP area of the power curve falls into a range that the engine can run in constantly; then you can appreciate why it works so well.

Of course these are not for everyone. In europe they are not common for indivual/family use. Even there, this is changing. Great mileage is great mileage and when you can get this and space to haul gear INSIDE, then you are going to have an audience for your efforts. You will find this model being sold by VW as its large van in Europe as well.

Still, this vehicle is not for everone. The step up height is HIGH, if you ever wanted running boards on a van before, you will want them on this one. It is Big, it needs a bit of careful handling in bad gusty winds, but that is normal for a van and I have driven several.

KenB
    Leaks: mostly a thing of the past, minor on mine and it is a 2004 (bought new 2005)

Droning noise: still there, a little at exact speeds/gearing like the slowest speed at which 5 gear can be engaged without shifting back down to 4th. Not bad, just odd.

Smoking is usually an auxillary heater purge problem. Read the manual if you get one and do what it says... run each of the auxillary items at least once per month for 10 minutes: aux. heater, other heaters, front A/C, rear A/C.

Rattling doors/seats are a slight pet peave, as I can't seem to get help from my dealer. This has been fairly common on most vans I have had the pleasure of driving. It bugs me a bit more on this van since it is more costly to buy (not by much really) and because quality is supposed to come with that. Some have reported that they have very minimal ratles in doors.

Ergonomics are OK for me, worse for those with the cab-chassis or the factory type partition which both limit seat adjustment options.

Brake noise can be odd, but in my experience it is more likely caused by overly sensitive anti-lock system than actual brake grinding. Some have reported short brake life, but that is coomon for some drivers anyway. this thing STOPS quick! Others have also reported needing to replace rotors with every brake change, also common on other Mercedes products. This is not the big thing it would be on a Chevy or Ford, as the rotor is NOT part of the hub.. The hub stays in place and you can switch the pads and rotors VERY quickly, and do it yourself if you are at all handy with a wrench.

crosswinds always should be taken cautious in ANY high-profile vehicle.

White is the most common paint, not so many problems, except for some cases of raildust (particals of iron setled onto/into clear coat). Silver has always had more problems on all cars that I have ever had/driven, but that is the past.

This is the place, as are others to let people know what bad is happening and getting their help to get fixes... That is not to say that people just complain, their experiences are real and they certainly need help to get them resolved. Some dealers are still not equipped to help them very well, even with certification. Sometimes the certification seems to get in the way of otherwise easily solved problems (like paint).

Depending on you, as the owner, this should be a great vehicle for a long time to come. If you have normal experience with it, you have 10K oil changes, 20-30K service intervals, a filter/trans fluid change at 80K (regular fulid changes after that, 80K). If you were getting any other comparable vehicle in the USA, you will start out with more oil changes and services to expect (up-front).

If there is anything to believe, it is that you start out ahead in the Sprinter... then YMMV (your mileage may vary).

KenB
    KenB,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my concerns so thoroughly. I think I'm becoming seduced by the allure of the exotic Sprinter.
    That figures, because I went for the new rotary-engine Mazda in 1973. I became a loyal customer, despite the fact that the rotor seals had to be replaced after a few thousand miles. I ended up buying 4 of them over the years, until my lifestyle changed and I became a van man.

One other issue regarding the Sprinter: fuel economy might be better than that of my other option--the Ford Econoline Wagon--but considering the fact that diesel fuel here is 30 to 40 cents higher than regular unleaded, I'm wondering how it will work out in terms of real cents per mile.

Thanks again,
    KenBob
    Thanks for referring me to that info-packed site.
    OK, not so thorough... I forgot about real fuel economy... my reserve grand champion of concerns... (customer care being first).

I get 20 MPG. Always. Everywhere. All-conditions. All trips. All traffic or all clear. All city or all highway... Except when I run the second A/C unit. That rear air drops the mileage 1-2 MPG.

Our MPG is coming up slightly (almost up to 21 MPG last tank, which my wife drove most of). No, she doesn't get better MPG than me, all of her other tanks were just like mine. We are about to hit 10K miles since we picked this one up new back in September 2005 (new 2004, delivered with 624 miles on the odom.) 140" 2500HC Wagon 10 seats, Dodge badges switched for Mercedes Benz.

Others we have talked to now get as much as 30 MPG. 25 MPG is most common, 27 is pretty common. Even on the 158" Tall versions which we have talked to... Three of them were partial conversions running extra A/C from generators to transport dogs to dog shows, friends of each other not a company or family thing. 1 was white, 1 was red, 1 was blue... all got about 25-27 MPG.

Now, no one has been able to tell me why mine gets just 20 MPG. But, they have been able to say it will come up slightly after the first oil change (to Full Synthetic) or at about 15,000 miles. That is the first break-in milestone apparently.
    Hey Ken, Now that I think of it, It does as you said. After a year or so of driving it, and having a few bugs. It is settling down to be a nice van. The paint is being dealt with. As far as Speed goes, I dont seem to be in a hurry much anymore. It only sucks fuel or gas depending on your drive habits and what you are driving. Once you get the great economy under your belt its hard to go back. You also hit the nail on the head, I do have a high-end hearing problem. Thanks to years of rock and roll bands, But that is another story. Thanks, Tom :shades:
    Okay, the seats finally came in.

Here are a few preliminary photos. I still have to finish the inside of the van and I'll take more photos.

The seats are the Freedman Featherweight BV FoldAway on the far end, and the Single Wide Handi Flip nearest the door:

BV Foldaway

Handi Flip

The divider was placed a little over 8 feet from the back of the van. I had to put brackets to properly secure the divider. That took an entire day.

The cost of the seats was $824.51 delivered, which is less than the $1300 or more that the factory seats cost. Plus I can flip these seats out of the way to get to the back, or for cargo room. I did have to buy about $25 in bolts to properly secure these.

I don't like the feel of the edge of the fold-away seat that isn't over the mounting base. It has about 1 to 1.5" of flex when an adult sits on it. I should unbolt this seat and use a real heavy metal base instead of the bolts that they provide. That will be when I have a bit more time to look for a nice 1/2" steel plate that I can get custom made to bolt under the van.

Carefull when mounting your divider and seats this far back. The fuel tank is right under there and if you let that drill slip away from you, you may pierce the tank. I was very carefull and my tank is still good.

The quality of these photos are poor, and I'll have to have a second photo shoot when I'm done the interior of my van.

Tronno, Looks great. Send us a pic of your rear shop. Tom
    I get 20 MPG.

I second all your posts about the Sprinter. I have the 2006 Forest River conversion MB Sprinter. We picked it up in Colorado Springs with the temp near Zero. We drove home to San Diego via Phoenix. We averaged 21.79 MPG for 1400 miles of up and down mountain roads. It never felt under powered. Going down steep grades the transmission is great. Just tap it up and down to get the gearing you like. I will post more when we drive cross country this Spring. I don't think you will find a van you like better. And none will get the MPG of the Sprinter.
    KenB,
    Perhaps the reason that your MPG differs from others' accounts is that you are the only one telling the truth???
    I know that some folks tend to fudge a bit.
    (The mileage I tell my father-in-law is a little bit higher than what I really get.)
    KenBob

P.S.--Excuse me, but you don't have the 4.11 axle ratio, do you? I once bought a new Jeep Cherokee 4WD and discovered that two different gear ratios had been installed in the front and rear, so factories do make these kinds of mistakes.
    KenBob,
    I don't think I am the only honest person... The biggest user of Sprinter that I personally know has about 20 +/- and they get MPG from where I have experienced up to nearly 30 MPG on their fleet. They are all used to deliver medical supplies. So, unless some of their employees are adding fuel to the company van for free, they should have accurate numbers since the receipts for fuel, the mileage, and the service records are kept track of.

But, I have been very honest bout mileage here and elsewhere. Certainly not pessimistic about it either. I simply seem to get 20 MPG. I have checked the RPMs at Highway speed, top gear (locked), against what was published elsewhere, and it shows that I have the basic gearing (not 4.11) in the axle. (about 3.75 or 3.78 if my memory serves, I don't have the specs on this PC).

I believe that my dad drove a Chevy 4wd that had a (slightly) higher ratio in the front ON PURPOSE! It supposedly caused a bias toward the front end pulling you in most conditions. To make things seem even stranger, it wore front end components quicker than it should, until some factory trained genius (really mean it this time) had them add shims to make it slightly higher in the front end.

Looked funny, drove GREAT in the mud in the oil fields of Western Oklahoma.

2004 Dodge MWB 2500 HC Wagon, re-badged to Mercedes just for fun (16" steel wheels with the mercedes center caps)

My wife took the family Sprinter to the dealer for my first oil change, paid for by the dealer due to previous service run-a-rounds during the first 2 months I had it.

Guess they only have ONE Sprinter tech... ON VACATION for 2 weeks to Hawaii!!! They can't even check out: 1) rattles (rear doors, sliding door), 2) rusty pin dots on the rear door (probably "raildust"), 3) failed lumbar inflators (both sides), or anything at all?

If it was drive train related I might understand (if they gave me a loaner while I was down waiting for them to get back from Hawaii). These things are not "Sprinter" related, they are simple, non-mechanical, and routine.

One lumbar pumper won't pump, I can feel the inlet valve rolling around in it. The other one seems to pump, but doesn't pump up the bladder. I am not a fan of the Lumbar supports, but I don't want to let it go either.

KenB :(
    I'm also a skeptic on mileage claims. I don't trust electronic readouts and usually they are fudging to make the car look better than it is. I know my Passat TDI is about 2 mpg over actual mileage. I keep all my vehicles in a spreadsheet. Old habit. I was quite pleased with the mileage we got going through the Rockies and home on Interstates 10 & 8. I tried to maintain 65-70 MPH on the Interstate. I was passed a lot which gives a bit of a crosswind. I would say that is what I like least about the Sprinter.
    I picked my 04 up on dec 31 04. Just for curiosity I kept a log of every fill up, price per gallon and mileage.I may have missed a couple at most. Now, it is just habit. I also mark it with an A for air on if Its hot that week. Or cold with a C. When It gets cold the turbo heat is turned on. Some of those times I run the van to keep warm or to keep cool when I sit and work in it. I hit the freeway in the morning, Do my service calls, and home on the freeway. alot of times I am almost maxxed out being pushed by speeders. I have gotten 17 plus (reeally cold, turbo heat on most of the time) being the worst, And 24 plus the best. I have not had it on a trip, But can only imagine the mileage would be great. Just filled it an hour ago and it was 21.87. In all I look back on my older ford and gm days and think of the 9-12 mpg. The 3K oil changes. A friend bought my 99 gmc with 180.000 on it. Just about breakin for a diesel. The body is great but a tired engine. List upon request, Tom :)
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    :) gagrice I am new to the forum you know me from the other forum. I bought a 3500 sprinter on 11-9-05 and it is the most wander full van that I ever bought. the oil have 4ooo miles and you still can see the golden color of the oil. the van is a dream for me after ford E150, I will never buy a ford again I had problems from the fist day I bought it. the last month that I had it cost me $400.00 in gas. at 20 to 30 miles to a gallon on the sprinter I am a reach man.