Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Does the sprinter have an EGR valve. Where can I buy the tech manual, how would I know if I am loosing pickup power I am getting about 150 miles per quarter tank is that a good malege. Some answers will help
  • liljohnnyoliljohnnyo Member Posts: 1
    It has been fun to read all this, but it will be more fun to finally get my sprinter. How come spondlecat has theirs? I ordered in Phx 120605 and have not heard a whisper. I am waiting for a VA2L15 2500 SHC van 140 in Stone Gray, I ordered lots of stuff so maybe thats why mine is going over 5 months? I got the mercedes grill& badges for Christmas so I have them to dust! maybe soon.
  • altered3altered3 Member Posts: 59
    Hi Folks from the sprinter down under, just remember the new sprinter wont be long before your old 2005 job is out of date
    Altered Sprinter
    :sick:
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    If you get 150 miles on all four quarters, you are doing great... really set the tripmeter, run through at least 3 of the four quarter tank marks, then fill up and do the math. miles/gal (miles driven divided by gallons used) = MPG... (my first quarter tank is at least 150 miles, then the rest are not.)

I get 20 MPG, and you are getting about 25 MPG, so you got me beat big time. I approximated 600 miles total (4x150) and divided by 24 gal.s (600/24= 25 MPG). I generally fill up after the triangle lights up and I have usually had about 2 gal.s left (26 gal tank, fillup takes about 24 gal.)

I always get about 20, in/out of town... until I turn on the second (rear) A/C unit, then it is 18-19 MPG.

I doubt that you have egr problems at 25 MPG.

You can sometimes find the manuals on CD on ebay or elsewhere on the net.

Some of the tuners turn off the EGR, but this does tend to increase emissions in some conditions. I believe that this is during MILD acceleration and while climbing SLIGHT slopes in top gear (this used to be true for sure on gasoline engines). EGR cools the combustion process through the addition of Exhaust Gas back to the intake side (Reciculation)... Less oxygen in the intake equals lower temps at combustion chamber due to weaker burning.

Higher combustion temps lead to additional nitrogen compounds expelled through the exhaust system (emmissions). In gasoline engines, this happens more at compression ratios over 11:1 and higher head temps. That is why real Boss 302 Mustangs died out the first time... the head ran a little hot and the compression ratio was good (high) and with carbeuration it is hard to control emissions, especially in performance cars. The BOSS 351 had no chance after about 1972, it had to have sodium-filled valves in order to handle the head temps/combustion chamber temps.

Thanks,
    KenB :shades:
    Kenbaker/// Thank you for the info I think that with the new diesel coming up things are going to look better. I saw some where that the oil category is going to change. have you seen anything like that.
    The Dodge Sprinter requires to conform to Euro Standards not US fuels or oils supplements
    Fuel for diesel bio-mix B5 ( no more than 5% mix of ALC volume.
    Any more such as B10 to B20 will effect performance gas mileage etc particle filters will block more quicker with excessive sulphur emissions
    oil use synthetic to manual specs
    fuel economy of 25 to the gallon? depends on the grade you use! engine size will also increase or decrease the end figure as the option of engines starts at the range of 308 through to 414 the mid motor 313 will return 26 miles to the gallon on hi-way runs less on hill climb or congested CBD traffic.
    Altered Sprinter:cry:
    Nescosmo,
    do you mean the new diesel engines or the new diesel fuels?
    If the engines; not sure if a V-6 runs smoother than an in-line 5 like in the current sprinter. If it still runs smoothly and the torque specs hold (I know that horse-power is supposed to go up quite a bit), then I think that the people who wait to buy are in for a nice surprise (probably better mileage on the highway at speeds over 65 MPH).
    If you mean the fuel, then cleaner automotive diesel is quite possible and so is biodiesel. Waste oils, solids-to-oil recycling, waste fats from the meat-packing industry, and even direct crop-to-biodiesel means are all feasible.
    Do the research on the 'net and you will find that bio-diesel is MUCH cleaner than dino-diesel and I do not know of a sulfur bearing ingredient in bio-diesel so there goes the sulfur compound problems.
    The available motor oils for the sprinter in the USA have changed a bit. Mobil has re-named the synthetic line that was recommended by them (was Mobil 1 Truck and Van, I believe). The Sprinter has specific Oil Specs, follow them directly (the correct Mopar Oil will always apply) or get the specs confirmed by the oil manufacturer you want to use to meet the Daimler-Chrysler (or original Mercedes Benz) specs.

There should be some from the following:
    Kendall
    Mobil and Mobil 1 (another of theirs was call DELVAC)
    Mopar (Dodge orig.)
    (and just about anybody who makes an API/ASTM accredited fully synthetic motor oil in the correct weight for your Sprinter).

An oil for Diesel Spec motors (USA) is not required due to the very tight specs of the Mercedes Diesel, the low blow-by, the very well controlled engine temps, and the use of quality diesel. Remember to watch for any pumps that indicate you are getting diesel with a higher sulfur content.

One other indication is that europe is learning to control diesel emmissions better due to the large number of them sold there. With this will probably come another stage of complexity. Diesel emmissions can drop even lower than the great specs they have now if they utilize urea (I think they are calles blue tanks) to inject into the exhaust to clean up some compounds currently emmited.

I did notice somewhere on my Sprinter that is considered ULEV (ultra low emmissions vehicle). I can certainly say that it is not the diesel-smelling monster that many of my friends with power0stroke and Cummins are running with.

I really wish that the next wave was coming out with I-6 diesel power like in the Uni-Mog. The inline 6 is the ultimate in smooth power this side of the v-12; with great torque possible, in a relatively compact powerplant.

When the US states sees the new Sprinter, there will be two V6 options, petrol and diesel,both engines are more balanced than the older five cylinder unit, which has issues of vibrations in the long wheel based units with dampening, that problem lies with the tail shaft. however, you may be waiting a little longer the old five in line diesel is still being used as the more economically cheaper engine to run. Fuel emissions have been further improved for sulphur carbon filter traps in part to compensate for different quality fuels in other countries.
    Australia is similar to the USA you are limited as to options , which is why I have ordered direct from Europe to obtain the sprinter I require down under for both private and commercial use
    Altered Sprinter
    Kenbaker... There is a writing some where that with the new ulsd for the 07 diesel engine to maintain the pollution control, the oil have to be change to a new formula. I do use on my sprinter new Castrol dino 15w-40 on my next change will be Delo 400 until I get 20,000 miles then I will use 5w-40 syn. or 15w-40 syn. I want to brake the engine with dino then use syn. What do you think.
    Nescosmo,
    Sounds like you are on track. Good quality oils all the time with good manufacturers to back you up. The fully-synthetic oils offer better resistance to heat and contamination breakdown (and must have special additives to be fully synthetic I would think), but it is the additive package that is key to long oil life in dino oils.

While on dino oils I have gone 7,500 miles on modern fuel injected gas engines, no problems (mostly highway miles) and it is the standard on my 1994 GMC Safari (4.3 liter V-6). Running great at 115,000. Just don't go over 10,000 miles on your Sprinter with good quality (API/ASTM approved, with the latest standards) dino oil.

I know of no difference in break-in with dino vs. synth. oils... My engine rebuilder required me to use fully synthetic from the get-go. It is on a high-heat potential Mitsubishi Montero 2.5 (I-4) with the dual counter-rotating balance shafts.

• ebill06ebill06 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings from a Sprinter wannabe, and a question. I went to the Dodge site, and could not find this needed information. I was hoping that someone would be so kind as to provide me with 3 critical measurments. Maximum clearance at rear door entry, both width and height, and the distance between the wheel wells. I am trying to figure out if one of the cargo vans will suffice for my business. I have learned much from this forum. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.
  • sonnywood2sonnywood2 Member Posts: 38
    mine is a high roof 140
    the door opening width is 62"
    the door opening height is 69.5" high roof
    wheelwell is 52"
    the height inside depends on high roof opr not
    high 73"
    low 64.2"
    lenght is by model
    118 99"
    140 128.5"
    158 165.9"
    mine is a high roof 140
    the door opening width is 62"
    the door opening height is 69.5" high roof
    wheel well is 52"
    the height inside depends on high roof or not
    high 73"
    low 64.2"
    length is by model
    118 99"
    140 128.5"
    158 165.9"
  • tronno22556tronno22556 Member Posts: 32
    Go here:

http://www.dodgesprinter.com/index.php

Click on Specifications.

It seems to not work in Firefox. IE is okay.
  • grasspressgrasspress Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if a solar battery charger plugged into the Sprinter dash power outlet will charge the Sprinter battery? Some power outlets (cigarette lighters) use a special diode that prevents backflow or power. I read my Sprinter manual but there was no documentation of whether or not solar chargers connected through the power outlets would charge the battery.

Thanks
  • ebill06ebill06 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much.
  • bobselectricbobselectric Member Posts: 8
    hey all, a newbie here. i got my sprinter 2500 in jan 2006, and i have a few questions that maybe you can help me with. first, is there anywhere that sells aftermarket lighting products, specifically led taillights? i've been hit twice in the rear, thankfully i have the steel step bumper so i received no body damage. second, i'm an electrician, so i do carry some weight in the truck, and most of my driving is around town, but i only get 18- 20 mpg. my dealer told me i should get 660 miles per tank (no i didn't believe it), but i'm getting around 400-430 mpt. normal? or not? third, let's expand the first question to any aftermarket parts. these things have been around in europe for many years, and i know that the euro folks have a great tuner tradition, so how about sharing, friends? look foward to all of the replies, thanks, bob
    Ebil06... The best van for a business is the 3500. It has dual back tires and the springs are heavy duty and low profile, tires are 15 inch. The best for the money.
    Bob.. You should it bought a 3500 I had a 2500 and exchange it for a 3500,much heavier and lower, a better van. If you go to your "web search" and type sprinter van you will find what you want.
    Kenbaker...Thanks and I will follow your advice.
    Bob,
    I have not found any available taillights except standard factory items.

I have a 2500HC, passenger (wagaon), 140" (MWB) and I always get 20 MPG... some get 25, a few get 27, I have heard of one (1) nearly 30 MPG (one guy with a fleet to deliver medical supplies says he has some of each of these figures, mostly 25 MPG).

No one seems to be able to say what could be affecting the mileage figures except 2 things: 1) speed (best MPG at 50-60 MPH), 2) check all intake/tubo/intercooler hoses for loose fittings/clamps.

I typically get 20 MPG around town or on highway (70 MPH). I never get a chance to go 55-60 MPH for more than a couple of miles at a time. I know I could go slower in the righthand lane, but I am used to 70 now and you get cutoff repeatedly if not doing 70 even in 60 MPH zones... Oklahoma roads did not used to be like this.

My lower MPG's come on quite quickly when I run both front and rear A/C units... 18 MPG... I try to use one or the other as much as possible, preferably the front A/C.

TrucknVans (on the 'net is where I found the easiest browsing, shopping, buying). european shops don't seem to have very many aftermarket things for Sprinters (probably because they are considered mostly commercial units there). They do have nerf bars, light bars, steps (rear only), and lots of racks avaiable that were hard to get here at first.

trucknvan.com
    eurocampers.com
    vangadgets.co.uk
    sprinteraccessories.com (not user friendly ordering)
    lots of stuff on ebay...

• 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    I overheard some people talking about a pill you drop in your tank, Gas or diesel. I guess it is going to increase mileage. Scam or no Scam ! Filled up tonight 293.9 gallon. I got 24.84. My best mpt is 536 a couple weeks ago. Tom :shades:
  • clapalmclapalm Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of my Dodge Sprinter last week (it arrived two months early!) I ordered the accessory - "Driver Seat Base Power Outlet" - the dealer described it as an extra 12 volt outlet easily accessibly for passengers. When I picked up the van all I saw under the drivers seat was a small plug that looked more like a rivet or a 1/4" headphone jack. The dealer said that was the outlet - does anyone know about this Driver Seat Base Power Outlet? Is there an adapter available that will let me actually plug something into it?

Chris
  • maxcmaxc Member Posts: 1
    Dallas Dodge says they don't know, just close to the end of this year. They say 6 months on a 2006. We need a 158" highroof passenger to convert for wheelchair use. How soon can we realistically expect a 2007? Or 2006?
    Dallas Dodge will only tell you, what they want to tell you, not what, you should know! It is not in the dealerships interest to tell you when the new model will arrive, Why? because they need to ship out the old stocks first.
    All information from Daimler Chrysler is sent in PDF format and or emails to all dealerships as to model improvements, be it cosmetic or mechanically etc. The sales reps have already seen the new 2006 Sprinter all four of them four lengths four roof heights, both V6 motors in Gas and Diesel.
    supply will be based on demand from Europe as to how soon the new stocks can be sent in CKD Format to be re assembled to US requirements at South Carolina in the old La' France assembly plant D/M USA is still having trouble working out as to what name they should be sold under? and the best solution to franchise dealerships {sems like Freightliner will be the end looser?} Parts can be bought cheaper from Europe landed in the USA, than the prices the dealers are asking for. :confuse: If you do buy a new older version I'd be asking for big discounts as thenew ones will knock out the current value of the old 1995 design real quick the New Mercedes Sprinter is Awesome.
    Sgn; ALTERED SPRINTER
  • ljgjrljgjr Member Posts: 5
    SCAM!!!!!! There is an article on the AMSOIL web site. www.amsoil.com
  • sprintermansprinterman Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone have any information regarding warranty transfer
    from USA to Canada.Sprinter units are sold under the Dodge
    emblem for both countries and are Mercedes Benz manufactured
    products.
    It seems that If I purchase a Sprinter in the USA ,the new
    van warranty does not transfer to Canada.There are no other
    issues ,customs,duties etc. that exist,just the warranty
    is not transferable.Chrysler Canada has replied that the warranty does not transfer and so has Chrysler USA.
    Are there ways to force them to honor warranties for
    vehicles that are sold anywhere in North America ?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards... Guy
  • hawk8hawk8 Member Posts: 31
    page 37 of the warranty info booklet lists phone #s in Canada, Mexico and P.Rico; that gives the impression it's good in all 3 countries P.Rico. also look at page 26-27 it sounds like you have to keep it registered in the USA to be able to get warranty service elsewhere. please keep us informed of what you find out.
    Chris,
    I wrote into the Dodge/Sprinter helpline on DODGE.COM and they sent me back an email reply that you are to rely on your dealer network, salseman, and parts rep for information regarding accessories. They gave NO help at all.

KenB :surprise:
    Is the the new 2007 Dodge Sprinter scheduled for North
    America going to look like the VW Crafter or the European
    model?
    Does anyone know who manufactures the new automatic transmission scheduled change for the 2007 for North
    America? Mercedes or Chrysler,I read somewhere that they were
    going to an automatic tranny presently used for the existing
    light trucks.....Guy
  • clapalmclapalm Member Posts: 2
    Ken,

Thanks for the inquiry - my dealer has also been no help. They've said they'll refund the $65 I spent on the accessory if I can't figure out how it works. It's as if I'm the first customer of theirs to order this accessory.

Chris
    After much searching and replies,I have been given some options.It seems that I can purchase a new vehicle warranty
    from an org called RI protection.I have briefly talked to them
    and it is available also into Canada.So I will check this out further.Anyone familiar with RI Protection?Since Chrysler will not honor the warranty for a USA vehicle brought into Canada.
    Regards to all.....Guy
    Guy,
    why can't you keep it registered in the USA and keep your warranty ?
    Probably because to keep it registered in the USA,I would need a permanent address in the USA,which I don't have.The closest dealer is approx 4 miles away.
    I can get a warranty apparently from a private group called
    R I Protection.
    These vehicles are apparently very good machines and I might not need a warranty after a year or two.
    Mercedes is much better quality than the Big 3.
    In any case I hope to get this sorted out within a few months.
    I have a work vehicle ,a 94 Ford deisel cube.On the avereage
    it costs me approx.$ 4,000.00 CND every year to keep it on the road and I get approx.11 miles to the gallon.Up here in Canada,even though we still have lots of oil,we pay
    $ 4.50 /Gallon Canadian. 160 ouces/imperial gal.
    regards to all........Guy
  • the_forcethe_force Member Posts: 3
    http://www.mercedes-benz.com/content/mbcom/international/international_website/e- n/com/international_home/home/products/vans.html#mainnav

• the_forcethe_force Member Posts: 3
    remove the - at the end of the first line and the space at the beginning of the second in the previous post for the url to work
    I tried this and does not seem to work for me on the
    explorer brouser.What is this link about?
    Ken,
    by the time i saw what you wrote about "sprinteraccessories.com" it was to late, not only (not user friendly ordering) but also they are; cheats. we ordered a hitch assuming we'll get what they got pictured, instead we got a Curt hitch which we could've bought for less $ somewhere else. advice to all don't deal with "sprinteraccessories.com". i was wondering why they don't accept credit cards! now i know why.
    Well, I left from here (Virgina) to Florida last week for my first long trip. 900 miles each way. I had about 3000 miles on the odometer at the beginning and almost have 5000 now.

My mileage around here is just over 22 MPG. That's mostly in town semi-urban areas.

My mileage on I-95 on down was about 18.8 MPG. That was with a very heavy load of junk going south (crammed to the top of the van) travelling about 75 MPH or so, and I got about the exact same mileage coming back lighter (but still with my work tools and shop in the back) travelling at my top speed of about 85 MPH.

I guess my van has a limiter on it, because I couldn't get any faster than 85. It revs at just a touch over 3000 RPM when travelling at 85 in D. (I accidentally hit the shifter at one point and the RPM jumped higher.)

Very nice ride.

It really didn't like it when I tried tailgating the big rigs. The turbulence tried tossing me around until I was closer than I was comfortable with.

The height really helps with the radar detector range.

So, now I have almost 5000 on my odometer, and have about 6500 to go until the first scheduled oil change, according to the computer.
    i have the maintenance package on mine but were dose it tell you how many miles till the maintenance is due. i thought it just lit a light when it was do.
  • alfaunoalfauno Member Posts: 13
    just push the little MI button on the speedo face that switches from odo to trip - push a second time and it gives you the service interval. My first oil change wasn't needed until over 14k. when it gets close it starts telling you when you start up that there are "so many miles until service"
    has any one installed a hitch wiring on the Sprinter? we ordered what should've been a plug-in type "www.sprinteraccessories.com/040_hitch.html " instead we got what they bought at Walmart (made by Hoppy, the wiring was still in the Walmart bag), which you have to splice into the vehicle wiring, although it says it protects the towing vehicle computer system; I'm still not comfortable with it, any advice or where can i get a plug-in type wiring made specifically for the Sprinter?
    Thanx in advance.
  • mparkmpark Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,
    I am planning to purchase one pretty soon around Dallas area. Could someone refer me to a dealer or tell me what I should pay for one. Thanks for all your inputs. :)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Hi,
    I was visiting TX and had a problem with my Sprinter conversion van. Boerne Chrysler in Boerne, TX was great to deal with. They are the main Sprinter dealer in that area around San Antonio. If you don't mind a little drive I would check with them. They had at least a dozen Sprinters on the lot for sale.
    Just remember the Model is about to be replaced with the new 2006 model sprinter, if you buy now 1Hang out for a rebate of a least $3000.00 grand or buy via ebay standard warranty unless you purchase extended warranty
    Altered Sprinter
    I personally get nervous buying a vehicle with a brand new style. Give it a year or two for the big bugs to work out.
    There are no issues with the new 2006 model as it is a carry over of the 1995 fromat but with the new engines which are proven as Mercedes Benz quality that comply Euro 4 Safety and emission control levels, your only issue there is getting it in writting from your dealer that it will run on the older quality diesel you have that is not meeting DC Specifications in the USA the van itself has full options as standard now quite a bit has been taken out of older Mercedes vehicles such as nav-sat etc :D ">
    I think the new ones are not here yet. Mine is a 2006 Freightliner conversion by Forest River. Freightliner is out of the Sprinter business. The new 2007 will all be Dodge Sprinters. I understand they have a couple different engine options on the new ones also. You can get gas if you really want it. I think it is a 6 cylinder diesel. I wonder if it will get the great mileage of the 5 cylinder version.
    The new V6 will continue to give fantastic fuel returns it should be the same if not better than the old 5 cylinder in-line engine again this depends on which of the two v6 deiesel fromats you choose from, we have two! But you may only be offered one of the v6 models in diesel or gas format your only problem for maxium fuel returns will be the quality of diesel avaiable to you at the pump, lesser or poorer quality means less MPG. I Know Freightliner lost the franchice with the US Chyrsler division it's a managment issue when it comes to profit levels a very hot Politicial issue at the moment I was amussed to hear they DC had implimented this so rapidly, Fuel will become an issue with continuing fuel price increases so buy Diesel it's in effect Thirty percent cheaper to run on than Gas Bio-Diesel is an option however the savings are not that great at the moment Australia is about to invest 220 million with BP in the USA to start production of bio-Deisel fuel low sulphar plant that will be compliant to Euro 4 emission controls.
    Do you have any time frame as to when they will be available in the US?