Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter

Comments

• altered3altered3 Member Posts: 59
    Time frame, about Christmas! based on demand and supply for production in Europe, before they are sent to the USA in CKD format for reassembly.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Are you involved in the factory they are setting up in Charleston for Sprinter assembly?
    Which Plant are you thinking about! the main one is at South Carolina in the old La france bulidings,there is one for small conversions for Hydrogen units? Govenment experemental use
    DC has a problem but its political as to its profit base on local vehicles needs to retool but can not due to flatterning us dollar so your about to get VW Chassis on the a few of your local cars such as the starfire smaller Americian iron is proving to be to expensive! because of fuel costs.
    The old La France plant. I heard they were updating it for the new model Sprinter.
    Yes that is fact untill finance will allow for expansion, for a more modern plant
  • sonnywood2sonnywood2 Member Posts: 38
    has anyone else found that if they get fuel at different stations that their mileage changes from one brand to another. is that posibile? i will keep track from now on to find out for sure. i tow a trailer most of the time and it goes from 18 to 23 with a mix of a lot of short stop and go and a little highway. my driving is about the same for all so i was thinking it might be the brands of fuel.
    When I am out of CA where I use BP/ARCO ULSD with a high cetane rating, I always add Power Service cetane booster.

That said I think you are getting good mileage considering the short trips and towing a trailer. I don't tow a trailer and the lowest I got was on Interstate 10 cruising 70 MPH+ with lots of head wind. That tank was just over 20 MPG.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    Unless your sprinter van was ordered with the wiring already done, then you must install a unit similar to the Hoppy box that they sent to you.

If you go to a dealer they will have to install a D-C factory box which is similar in function and in installation... running wires to the fuse panel or battery, ground wiring, wires to each function (L/R turns, tails, brakes, etc.)... They will charge about5-6 hours labor (or more), but the module is not terribly expensive when I checked with them 6 months ago. Its the labor that gets you.

I didn't know until now that you could find the Hoppy box at WalMart... thanks for letting us know. Can you send the SKU and model number, please?

KenB :shades:
  • zweigsrdczweigsrdc Member Posts: 3
    I am about to order a 118 Passenger version and have a few questions on options.

1. I am in the northeast - do I need to have the front or rear aux heating group and/or the Aux heat exchanger? Any idea what these items are and what they do?

2. Front fascia with chrome trim. Is this a purely cosmetic item or does it serve any useful function?

3. Rear gray fascia with the step pad - is this a purely cosmetic item or does it serve any useful function? I see selection of this requires de-selection of other items and I am wondering if this is a metallic grate / step that hangs off the rear of the vehicle.

4. Front right and left sliding glass is available as on option but seems to require that there be no sunscreen glass. It is difficult to decide between these and I am wondering if anyone can confirm that one may not be had with the other and which one is preferred if that is indeed the case.

This will be a family vehicle so ventilation and sunscreen are both issues to be addressed. If I can not get both I will probably want to aftermarket one of them.

5. The heated windshield with rain sensor seems like a neat option. Does anyone have this option and is it worth the extra fee. Also, if selected, will the 150 amp alternator suffice or is it better to have the 200 amp one.

6. Since this will be a family vehicle I intend to aftermarket the radio and perhaps add an entertainment system. For this reason I have selected the Radio Prep Group. Given this, I am wondering if it is a good idea to do the cell phone work aftermarket or to get the cell phone prep as an option from the factory.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Thanx
  • erikoeriko Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what can be done with this lousy radio?
    Sometimes it works just fine and sometimes it's mostly static - all on the same roads. In some cases it may change due to hitting bumps or such.

My local dealer "replaced" the radio (actually - I wonder, should have marked it). Now they say that "replacing it once is all they can do."

In other words: "Tough!" So maybe it's just lousy service - love the van otherwise.

BTW - does ANYONE know how the Auxiliary battery under the passenger seat is hooked up? Is it just a backup for the main battery, or is it for add-on things. Nobody at either of my two local Dodge dealers has the slightest idea.

Thanks, -Erik
  • sonnywood2sonnywood2 Member Posts: 38
    sounds like you have a bad antenna or connection on the radio. i though the battery was for auxiliary use to add extra electrical equipment. i think that is why it is called auxiliary battery in the speck book.
  • n_teslan_tesla Member Posts: 9
    1. I live around Boston and take my 118" passenger van on ski trips. This year was remarkably cold (-5 to -10) in the AM way in Berlin, NH. I have the Aux heater and it was nice to set the timer and have the van at 60 degrees when we found it in the parking lot.
    2. If you like the looks go for it. It serves no purpose.
    3.The step makes it easier to get in the back. I ordered the hitch and wish I'd ordered the step.
    4. I have the sunscreen and a sunroof. There's plenty of air without the sliding windows. The tint keeps the van cool.
    5. I have the heated windshield and wiper option. I like the wipers. The heated widshield maybe a little. It's a lot of money I wouldn't spend in retrospect.
    6. I spent over 4k in audio/video system on my van and used the stock radio for the CD and AM/FM. The reception is fine but the radio has no power. I use a regular hand held cell.

Other notes: Get the upgraded fron seats and mirrors. You will like this van.
    The battery is for add-ons, like extra 12V lights or accessories, or a small power invertor to run a computer or other small 120V (AC) appliance.

Also, this battery should come isolated (so you don't run down the service battery, that would suck).

Lousy Service is the catch phrase you are looking for. Do you have the radio with tape player? I have heard of more problems with them. I have the CD player, no problems.

Well, one problem... no time to add rear speakers. the ones in the dash are NEARLY big enough (tiny would barely cover the midget-like qualities of these speakers).

So be sure to get the rear wired for sound even if you don't get the speakers!!!.

2. I have the rear gray faschia and step pad, but is is not an extra step... really does need another step in the rear, probably will add the hitch and an auxillary step to go into the 2" receiver.

6. certainly could do with the basic radio with wiring in place for all four speakers. 8 months now and still no time to get fancy with the radion/entertainment... as stated elsewhere, I have the CD playr and just the 2 speakers in the dash...

You will love this van as long as you are not short... it is tall to step into and out of. Otherwise, you will be begging to get running boards sooner rather than later.

engine is peppy until you turn on both A/C units and start from a dead stop... but even then, it is all GO when the turbo kicks in.

Get the upgrade seats, all available arm rests, all available handles or entry aids, bigger mirrors,

PS also turn it back into a Mercedes right away... removal of the extra Dodge CHROME was a big relief.
  • punter1punter1 Member Posts: 50
    If I were you I would wait for the new model. See this url - http://www.whatvan.co.uk/newvans_s.asp?id=4682
    They are only manufacturing the new one.
    If you order the old one, they will give you a scrappy leftover and you will still wait several months. New ones will be here by Christmas - you should be able to order by September or so.

Di-tert-butyl peroxide has a spontaneous comustion temp of around 329 F (165 C) and is listed as a diesel additive on Wikipedia (boils at about 105 C (just over the BP of water 212 F) and then bursts into flame as above).

It makes you wonder if those little pills have this stuff in them? even so, little pills don't make big tanks of diesel run better so easily.

• dearwatsondearwatson Member Posts: 3
    1. So,... GM came out and put a diesel in their vans? Do you mean the Duramax which is available in the full-sized 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton van? They have had a diesel avail in these for decades, even that ill-fated gas engine based diesel of about 15-20 years ago. What diesel in what van is this new news??
    Hasn't anybody out there broken out the specs on transmission fluid for the Sprinter?? It looks like another case of "them what knows ain't tellin'. Them what tells, ain't knowin'." Do you really believe MB manufactures or formulates transmission fluid and engine oil?? ...or has a major oil company with that capability doing it for them... because they have come up with a mechanical contrivance that has totally different needs than anything else on the planet??

There is nothing you can humanly do to a $1 quart of transmission fluid to make it worth $7.50. Nothing, except put it in a plastic bottle marked with your own special company markings and charge any price you darn well please because everybody is afraid to use anything else for fear of voiding their warranty or harming their vehicle. So the SCAM goes on. Instead of $7 for enough fluid to change your transmission fluid, you pay what, over $52.50?

Surely some smart person can find out what brand and grade is really in that MB or DC labelled can.

Yankee Trader
    Lots of discussion asserting lower maint. cost of Sprinter vs. Chevy or Ford van because of oil change interval. ...without the benefit of ever paying the bill for a Sprinter oil change. Sure the oil change is at 10k or even more miles vs 4-6k for the domestic. I'm paying .49-.69 per quart on coupon special for top quality oil at Checker. Filters run $2-4. Do it yourself total 5qts X .69 =$3.45 add $2.50 = $5.95. For the white shirt crowd it is $12-20 on coupon at the lube centers. What does the Sprinter oil change cost? My local Dodge buys it only in bulk in a 55 gal drum so I can't get the special oil required for the Sprinter. Take a chance on voiding the warranty like all the petroleum engineers posting on this web site and buy your own at $7.50 per qt. X what? 10 qts. =$75 plus a filter for $11 totals about $86. $6 vs. $86. Oh, but you don't change it as often! CRYMANY!!! I should hope not! ...even at $21 for enough Rotella or Delvac plus a $12 filter for a Power Stroke or Duramax or Cummins.

Would anyone care to pencil out the transmission fluid change at $1.25 for Dextron vs. $7.50 for MB/FL/DC fluid?

Anybody compared fuel filter and air filter prices?

I'd like to see a few reports from people with a Sprinters. Would you care to tell your actual costs for maintenance for the first 100-150k miles?
  • tronno22556tronno22556 Member Posts: 32
    What type of fuses are on that battery block?

Where do I get some? Other than the dealer.
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Dearwatson..... I do not know were you buy your oil and filter for the sprinter but: At Autozone I buy the STP filter #S8481 for about 7.00 (I bought 6 for 5.00 on special the other day) and at wally world they sell Delo 400 15w-40 for 8.00 ( I bought while back 7- 4 gallon jug for 6.00 each). that is not 86.00 dollars.
    2004 2500 MWB HC Wagon, 10 seats, factory air Frt/Rear, tinted glass, Arctic White, converted to MB with parts from CMUGGLER on e-bay (recommended, it went well).

All regular spaces in floor filled by factory. The one additional floor bracket added by the dealer so we could move the wide 3 seater forward one row and have 8 seats and LOTs of cargo area in the rear (or throw the 2-seater back into the back and get 10 people in for shorter trips.

It was part of the deal of buying the 2004 (new) in Sept. 2005. Don't know cost... was just one bracket and the bolts to put it in. The dealer did not use the fancy - smancy torx-headed bolts, but they appear to be good quality. They used the new bracket/bolts in the end of the last row that will not usually be used anymore (this moved the torx bolts up to the newly (uncovered and) used slot in the floor.

So... remove wide 3-seat row (4th row from front), 2 seat row (third row).
    1) cut out rubber mat in dotted lines
    2) remove plastic block from slot.
    3) moved old bracket forward, put 3 seater in 3rd row, 2 seater in 4th row.
    4) waited for new bracket to come in...
    5) install new bracket in old slot in last row.

All of the body-nuts are already there (on passenger van), not sure about cargo.

Will write on email.

• bobselectricbobselectric Member Posts: 8
    Hey Ken--
    could I get a little more info on the ebay seller you used for the rebadging of the sprinter to mercedes? thanks

Bob
  • tandembikertandembiker Member Posts: 6
    Hello Everyone, :shades:

I'm Steve in Ohio and am planning to order a 2007 passenger 140 wheelbase, with most of the options, in September for (hopefully) a March delivery. I have a couple of odd concerns. We want to fit the Sprinter in our oversized garage. Length & width are no problem. Height might be. Our garage door opening height is a clear and free 96 inches (one foot higher than the US residential garage standard 7 feet). The published height of the 2006 140 wheelbase passenger model is 94 1/2, not counting the antenna. I'd like to remove the stock antenna (at least the thin part, potentially leaving the base portion attached), and buying some sort of aftermarket antenna, maybe the kind that mounts on the inside of the windshield near the headliner.

Is it feasible to remove the stock antenna? Does anyone know if the height of the 2007 140 wheelbase passenger model will be different than 2006 height?

No, we do not plan to order the rear AC.

Finally, can anyone tell me why you can't get the Parksense option with the towing option? Is it because every time you backed up with a trailer, the sensor would beep because of the trailer right behind you? We want a hitch for a bike rack and very occasional light trailering, but also want the Parksense. Our (hated) Chevy Venture has both, but you can disable the parking aid when necessary.

This forum rocks - I've been reading it for months while planning the Sprinter purchase.

Thanks, Steve in Ohio with wife, four kids, many bicycles (including a tandem & triplet), a love for car camping, and two minivans that are becoming too small for our adventures.
    Tandembiker.... Have you consider the 3500 Sprinter they have dual wheels, heavy duty back springs and it have 15" wheels. They rock.
  • jlr1jlr1 Member Posts: 4
    I have read the post about the rumble noise a low RPM.I took mine in to get fixed and it turns out it was 2 u-joints.Beware you can't change u-joints but have to buy a new drive shaft.Any one else have to do this?This is a real let down for the sprinter.
    nescosmo - We need a passenger model, so it looks like the 3500 is out of consideration. The height issue is a showstopper for us. The lease (from heck) on our Venture is up in March next year, and we need a larger replacement. Our nearest Sprinter dealer tells us we'll have to order a 2007 Sprinter sight unseen in September for March delivery. Unless we can be assured that the 2007 std height 140 inch passenger model will fit underneath our 8 foot garage opening, we'll have to look at the full size alternatives from other automakers. :(
    Thanks - I couldn't find a PDF, just several Flash files. I did find a stated range of heights for the Traveliner, from 2435mm-2715mm. If these numbers will be accurate for the 2007 Sprinter in North American market trim, then we're out of luck, because 2435mm translates to 95.9 inches. That's an inch-and-a half taller than the published height for the 2006 140inch std height North American pasenger model, and leaves but .1 inch clearance into our garage. If those numbers include the antenna height, then we're probably OK if we can remove the antenna.
  • engenlowengenlow Member Posts: 10
    ok, we could not wait for the conversion camper vans. After owning a VW bus pop top for 17 years, we bought a "Dodge" Sprinter with a body by Winnebago. I see a lot of aftermarket kits to "rebadge" the Dodge into a Mercedes.
    They include the grill of course. Great floor plan.

My question to the group are engine problems. 2 warning lights in less than 200 miles. The first was the oil warning it was too full. Drained some oil off. Now the "engine" light has come on. Isn't this a tried and true engine? Are these flukes or does Mercedes have a problematic engine?
    Engenlow.... The engine is very sound and you have to go slow and easy until 15 to 20000 miles that is not the law but that is what I do; I have change the oil 3 times in the last 8000 miles, is not that I need it but is because I want to make sure that my engine get clean. I only use dino oil not syn. I will use maybe syn. after 30000 miles to make sure that my engine get the proper brake in. I know some guys said that it does not need to brake in but that is me. I use delo 400 15w-40 and it run like a silk oil never get dirty and light never come on If you need service be carefully with the dealers, tried to stay away from them.
    You are welcome....

The PDF is the brochure that is under downloads that you will see after you start the webspecial and click on the van you want.

Note that the super high roof is made of plastic. The High roof and regular roof are metal.
    Found the PDF. The numbers for height on the PDF seem to differ from the numbers on the UK Sprinter (Traveliner) site. Guess I'll just have to wait for the official U.S. 2007 publicity release. I really don't like the style of the new Sprinter at all. Style is rather low on the list of priorities, but why did they have to take a step backwards?
    Tandembiker... I think that the sprinter will come 6 cylinder diesel and also 6 cylinder gas. I think the 6 cylinder diesel will be blue teck, correct me if I am wrong.
    I think that is exactly right. I wonder if it will be as economical as the 5 cylinder currently used. I really like that engine transmission combo.
  • astatileastatile Member Posts: 1
    Randy,

Since your post was over six months old, and I didn't locate a response, I thought I'd copy your message here to see if anyone now has any ideas.

"2500,2003 sprinter has no power, hard to start,black smoke. Intermittently my van will lose power. When this happens it smokes quite badly which I assume means the fuel is not properly ignited. If I keep it in first gear while accelerating until rpm's are about 3,000 it will sometimes kick into turbo regain power and I am good for a while. The area around the rubber turbo hose entrance into an intake device of some kind is black with oily sooty [non-permissible content removed]. Today in michigan it is about 8degrees and my van wont start. I am wondering if this intake device has a sensor problem or maybe my injectors are getting clogged up. Is it possible that water is in my diesel even though the indicator is not indicating this. Any comments are surely appreciated."

Just found this site today and your message. One of our company Sprinters is doing the same thing....exactly! The dealer claims we have a cracked intake manifold. But it doesn't make sense since the problem appears to be intermittent. Did you ever get an answer?
    allegedly v6 has the same economy but more power than the 2.7
  • pjp1pjp1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 4 Sprinter Vans, 3 Dodge & 1 Freightliner, I have had transmission vibration problems in 2 of them, an 03' and an 04'. The 03' they replaced the torque converter on the second visit. The 04's problems started at 52K, the dealer fixed it under warrenty (leaks). It was good to 80K when it when back for the same problem---the dealer performed a transmission 'tuneup'. It is now at 102K, back in the shop, Dodge wants $2,100 to repair or $3,500 for a remanufactured unit. Daimler-Chysler sees no obligation on their part to pay for this work. Now, bear in mind, the transmission on these vehicles is sealed to 60K---you can't even look at a dipstick. My vehicles are lightly loaded and 95% highway miles. NO, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling right now. Van was bought in northwestern PA -- I am in western NY. Any suggestions?

Thanks, PJ :mad:
  • sprintermansprinterman Member Posts: 14
    If the Dodge dealer wants to soak you for $3500.00 to install
    a rebuilt tranny,there is a chap on Ebay that remanufactures these transmissions for $ 1,995.00.
    These transmissions should not go that quickly.
    As far as the vibration goes,I believe that it might not be
    the transmissions but a driveshaft problem.Just my guess as
    I have heard of this before on the Sprinters.Especially the 158 " wheelbase models.
    Guy
  • alfaunoalfauno Member Posts: 13
    On a recent trip to downstate Illinois, I saw a sticker on the diesel pumps at stations that said "Warning - low sulphur fuel. Illegal for use in model year 2007 vehicles"
    Anyone know what gives? I'd read that low sulphur diesel was coming, I thought in Fall 2006, but I thought that it was a good thing, and would enable more European diesels to be able to enter the US market. I thought that the current fuels were of lower quality than what was required by current Euro diesel systems, and that the low sulphur fuel was the answer. I filled up with no problems in my 2005 Sprinter, 118 passenger van. BTW- 25.1 mpg at one point in the trip, a bit better than the 23-24 I usually average.
    alfauno I The reason you are seeing low sulphur warnings
    not to be used on 2007 models is part fact, part myth,
    If per say you puchased a new European Mercedes Sprinter, then this unit will run on low sulphur fuel as Mercedes is the only manufacture to meet the Euro 4 and Euro 5 specifications for emission standards.
    However US Manufactured models do not as per say the VW Jetta (Discontinued for 2008 as it can not meet the (emission standards)
    2007 is using a 2003 engine, these engines will most likely have failure problems depending on use and where the units are being driven such as LA where you have for example high density trafffic flow at low RPM or in a cold climate neither of the low sulphur fuels work that well at either end of the spectrum unless the new catalytic convertors are used and then the next problem occurs at your end! No manufacturing capability to produce or distribute Adblue for at least 12 to 24 months, which is why over 36 states are delaying untill 2013 to comply to Euro 5 specs especially with Diesel
    It's based on supply and demand, politics, and collusion to collude between manufactures and the Govenment. :mad:
  • auwaysgoneauwaysgone Member Posts: 1
    I bet you wish you could make that decision over! In 2002 I bought a 2500 series Sprinter and an E-350 Diesel Ford van for our expediting business. I have had almost every problem mentioned in this forum with that vehicle. To make my point, the Ford has 670,000 on it and the Sprinter only 320,000. The reason is because the Sprinter likes to ride on Roll-backs soo much. The lack of power and excessive smoke is an easy diagnosis. EGR valve ($580.00 and about 20 minutes)We've done 3 of those. The vibration?? Could be a driveshaft ($1,000.00 in Salem NJ non-serviceable U-Joints) Torque converter ($850.00 at Freightliner of Little Rock). Rebuilt transmission $2600.00 Piqua,OH). We have had lots of other little problems. Example, the fan cut the transmission lines on it's first trip out, dissapointed a valuable customer. I am now experiencing a new vibration and I'm told it is a Pinion bearing. They won't give me a price. The good stuff. can you believe the fuel economy and power? It will climb the Wheeling by-pass with 3,000 lbs on it, cruise locked at 70 and still get 23 mpg!! It does have some good points. It has just caused me to get a lot of calls in the middle of the night. It has been a Sprinter under my skin. Want to buy it? it only vibrates if you get over 30. It is in my driveway now. It has had 5-30 synthetic every 6000-9000 miles since new. The engine runs perfectly.
    Good luck.... why can't Toyota market something like this?
    Auwaysgone
    alfauno - Be advised that Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD) has been the standard in the United States for road transportation fuel for years. The new standard, introduced beginning June 1 of this year, is referred to as ULTRA Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD). Low sulfur diesel has a sulfur content not to exceed 500 parts per million sulfur content. ULSD is not to exceed 15 parts per million. The implementation of ULSD in the U.S. was NOT driven by a want or need among U.S. car manufacturers or U.S. petroleum companies to meet any Euro standards. It was completely a U.S-based initiative designed to reduce harmful emissions in the U.S. If ULSD allows certain Euro engines to operate on U.S diesel, then that is merely a happy, though unintended, consequence of ULSD implementation. The use of ULSD without any engine modification will reduce emissions. Additionally, the extremely low sulfur content of ULSD allows the use of catalytic-based emission reduction systems on diesels that are similar to (NOT the same as, I say to avoid any flame wars) the systems that have been used for years on cars. Sulfur content in the range of 500 ppm would foul the new catalytic systems. These systems (or other emission reduction systems) are required on 2007 and beyond diesel engines sold in the U.S. to meet stricter emission regulations. These systems have nothing to do with urea-based systems that use AdBlue. To my knowledge, there are no plans to introduce urea-based emission reduction systems in the U.S. Yes, there is discussion by lobbyists, large environmental organizations, politicians, petroleum companies, auto & truck manufacturers, etc, all with differing points of view for and against the use of urea-based systems in the U.S. But there are no approved plans.

The June 1 date is the date by which highway ULSD must be produced by all refineries making highway diesel. There is a later date for the required availability of ULSD at terminals, and an even later date for the required availability at the retail pump. The dates are staggered because the sulfur in other fuels transported and stored in pipelines and tanks will contaminate ULSD and raise the sulfur content above 15ppm. Most refiners produce their ULSD at 7-10 PPM in order to stay below 15ppm at the pump after additional sulfur molecules are picked during transport and storage.

Sorry if I've bored you with details. If you want more information, try www.api.org, and use their search function for ULSD. Yes, I work in the petroleum industry. :blush:

Rgds TandemBiker :)

P.S. To the Forum - I've already heard every complaint and insult in the book regarding fuel prices. Neither I personally nor the company I work for control the price of crude oil, and I don't get a discount on my fuel. Save your keystrokes.
    tandembiker..... I think that Florida and Oregon are the last dumping place for the 500 ppm lsd, we will be happy if by October we have the Ulsd. Why do you think the new 500 ppm sticker are in place (they are there in case they run out of time)no to advice the public but to cover their [non-permissible content removed]........
  • wantnusprinterwantnusprinter Member Posts: 3
    Buy new model in Europe, ship home???We want to buy the new-design Sprinter to be converted into a wheelchair van for my son. We will be in Germany and Denmark on business during the next few weeks. Since the new design Sprinter is already available there (and not yet in the U.S.), we'd like to buy a Sprinter in Europe and have it shipped to the U.S. Has anyone done this? Can someone tell us what we would need to do to carry out this plan? Would we save money? (Our main motivation is to get the new model sooner than we can get it in the U.S.)
    Ph A German distributor for the Sprinter that deals with export! He can arrange all paper work in advance six to eight week delivery into the USA Warranty can also be included as to country of Orign As The new Sprinters are not in the USA DCX can not prevent you from importing as they have no licence for this model as of yet, so your not interfering with uS sales to Chrysler You have the legal right to import in to the USA under the Shermans act of free trade but you may have a fight on your hands, Politics and influance may come into play, if you were a Dr No problems its just who you are good luck I did the same down under and will have the latest Sprinter in Australia six months before they even get here Mercedes are not happy with me, but it was mt mony and I will not be dictated too from any car manufactureras to what I can or not have.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You probably would not be able to import on your own as what you buy in Europe most likely does not meet US standards for safety, emissions, lighting, et al.
    Not worth the trouble. New Sprinter needs Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel which will not be at the pumps until September 1 and you probably want to wait a bit after that.
    The Sprinter should be of high enough standards for almost everything to meet US standards except for... HEADLIGHTS!!!

The US standards for headlights includes a requirement for much more side-lighting with the headlights because traffic and street signs in the US are not lighted as they are in most of Europe.

Because of this difference, the HID (high intensity discharge) healights work great in Europe (narrow beam). They do not work out too well for on-coming traffic in the USA, where the increased (required) scatter is too bright when you are driving toward them.

KenB