Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paulb02paulb02 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone:

Could someone out there with a 2002 I35 please check on this for me: When you have 2 or more CD's in the CD changer and you transfer back and forth between them, does each CD start back at Song #1 again or does it keep a memory of where you left each CD and go back to that selection?

I could have sworn that my CD changer used to retain the memory of what song each CD was on but now it keeps resetting back to Song #1 each time I switch back and forth between the CD's.

Maybe I'm just losing it but would appreciate if at least one person could confirm this for me one way or the other. Thanks! - Paul
  • jaydhjaydh Member Posts: 16
    My guy at Americas Tire said that a set of 4 FALKON tires, size 225/50 R17 93H for $558 out the door would be just fine for my 2002 I-35. The rating on the tire is 420 AA. Any thoughts about that?
  • yankeebelleyankeebelle Member Posts: 22
    Paul,
    My changer also goes to song #1 when changing between CDs-- however-- it DOES retain the memory of what song you were on when I switch from radio back to CD. My car is 2003 I35 sport. Hope this helps !
  • paulb02paulb02 Member Posts: 4
    Hi yankeebelle,

Thanks for your response!

My CD does the same thing so I guess I MUST have been losing it when I thought it would retain the memory on multiple CD's!!

Paul
  • dsiddsid Member Posts: 1
    I've brought my car in for the same problem three times already. The mechanics keep telling me that it's because I'm not using 91 octane gas. So I show them all my receipts of me purchasing 91 octane gas and their reply was "how do I know it's for this car?" I'm about to go postal on them... please let me know what eventually happenend.
  • kkarhikkarhi Member Posts: 4
    I have had the same problem now three times. After I tank up, the Miles to Empty trip meter does not immediately reflect that I took some gas. Instead, it slowly increases over a couple of days until it is accurate and then starts decreasing normally. I called Infiniti service and they said I'm supposed to somehow reset the trip meter after tanking. I tried it but it did not change anything. Neither did turning the car off. Any ideas?
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    On mine, the "distance to empty" (DTE) resets itself pretty quickly. In fact, almost immediately. Infiniti service is clearly wrong because it is resetting itself, it is just taking long. Does your fuel gauge read "full" right after you fill up? It seems like whatever sensor is measuring the tank level to compute DTE, is having the issue. I assume it works off a float, and the float is sticking, slowing its travel to where it would sit when full. Just a thought.
  • kkarhikkarhi Member Posts: 4
    I can't be sure but I think the fuel gauge works ok, since I'm sure I would have noticed it if it did not. Next time this happens, I'll make sure to check.
    I just got the car back from Infiniti service and the service manager said his wife's Nissan Maxima has the same problem and seemed to think it was normal. I never saw the problem until just recently (I have a 2002 I35, with 37000 miles).
    I had some warranty work done, so I'll wait and see if the problem repeats.
  • jonesie48jonesie48 Member Posts: 3
    Hi.. new guy here. I have a 2002 I35 and I'm about to bring it in for service. I have pulsating brakes such that the wheel shakes. Car has 34K miles.. any advice?
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I have 38K miles on my 02 I35 with no problems with the brakes. I have always kept them clean with frequent cash washes that cleans the brake dust off the wheels and rotors. I had a 97 Maxima with 50k miles that still had a lot of brake life left when the lease expired. The brakes on the Maxima were the best I've ever had in a Nissan product.

I have a feeling that 34K miles, the dealer should turn the rotors to correct the pulsation you feel. The brakes were upgraded with 02 model, so they should be robust enough for most types of driving. I don't have to remind you to not keep your foot on the brake pedal while driving and use only one foot to work the gas and brake pedals. I think that's a cause for a lot of brake problems people experience, no matter what make of vehicle they drive. My mom just replaced her front brakes on her 97 Honda Accord for the first time with 75,000 miles on them. Driving mostly highway miles will extend your brake life significantly vs. city driving. The life of brakes and tires will vary from driver to driver, so don't be surprised if the dealer tells you the pads need to replacing too.
    I think you definitely have a problem. My 02 I35 has never experienced that problem. My DTE reading always reflects the new fuel I put in. I've always filled it up, never doing a partial fill. so I don't know if that has something to do with it. Next time you get it serviced, talk to the service manager to enlist his help with this problem. It sounds like one the sensors is defective or dirty and needs replacement.
  • young77056young77056 Member Posts: 8
    Greeting, seabush and everyone!

I am new on this board but have been surfing it for a while. My wife's I35 have the same problem. memory set didn't remember the mirror position. I wonder if you found any solution or any explanation from dealer? Thanks.
  • ajaantonajaanton Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 I35 Jan. 2004. Driving for more than 60min. causes pain in my left thigh and buttocks.Never had this problem with any other car I have driven. The seat is too short for my frame, 5ft. 10in. 197lbs. The front edge of the seat touches the bottom of my left thigh 2-3in behind the L knee and does not support the leg. All other vehicles the seat touches me just behind the L knee. The the controls do not angle the seat upwards enough to compensate.Does anyone know if another seat, or seat cushion could be installed, or who could modify the seat. Thanks
  • phamt123phamt123 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My I35 2002 just got the "Service Eng Soon" light turns on while I am driving. I stopped the car and checked the gas cap as tighten well. Also, changed the new air filter. The problem is still exist.

Please help before I take the car to dealer.

Thanks.
    For the I35, the memory settings are only for the driver's seat. The mirrors have to be adjusted manually.
    Kind'a hard to tell what you should do beyond what you have already done. If you can't find anything out of order under the hood, I would take it to the dealer to have it diagnosed. It could be simple problem easily corrected, or maybe your oxygen sensor in the exhaust is fouled up. It's usually related to emissions control so you shouldn't have to worry about it costing you as it should be covered under warranty, depending on how many miles you have on it.
    I finally quit using mid-grade gas and use premium and have not had any more problems with knocking. When we bought the car we were told it used regular gas and part of my problem was believing the salesperson. Mid-grade gas is only 89octane, have you tried premium ?
    I have the 2003 sport model and my trip/Dist. To Empty meter immediately resets upon starting the car with a newly filled tank. No waiting period. No reset needed. The dealership is lying.
    I am curious where people are located that have had their headlights stolen. I am just north of Boston but drive all over and those postings make me a bit nervous. I stopped by the Nissan dealer yesterday and they said the headlight kit for Maxima won't fit the I35 (mine's 2003). They even called Infiniti to verify there is still no kit out for the protection. The maintenance guy did say, however, that the thief would have to crack open the hood to steal them because the mounts are on the back. Do you know how they got the lights off ? Are they stealing the whole assembly? Have you found a solution?
    Thanks for the info. In this case the user mannual is wrong. And even the service guy was wrong when I asked him. Anyway this is my first experience with Infiniti. Hopefully everything else would be correct with this car.
    No problem. I know for sure in the Q45, the memory settings work for the steering wheel, seat, and mirror settings. Don't know about the other models though, except for the I35. I'll have to take look at my manual to see what it says, as I have not read that section.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can someone help me with the possible purchase of the I35? Is the ride better now than in the 2000 model I30? My son has the I30 and it is not a very good ride(does not absorb bumbs well). Have things on the I35 changed in reference to the ride?
    I don't know how the 2000 I30 rode, but I do have 2002 I35 w/ sports package. It's a taut ride, but when compared to a 2001 I30 w/o sport package, the I30 rode more like a luxury car. At first, I thought the ride on my '02 was a little stiff, but after driving the 01 I30, I wasn't happy with how it handled but it did ride smoother. If you're looking at an 04 model, the sport package is not available on that model year, so it should ride smooth. Keep in mind that many dealers keep the tires on their cars over-inflated a bit to avoid a flat spot while sitting on their lot. I recommend you go test drive one and see if you like it.
    Thanks for your reply. How about mpg with your I35?
    On the open road, I get between 26-28, with cruise set on 70-75. Around town, I get between 22-25.
    Is this by filling and re-filling the tank or are you looking at the trip computer? Thanks
    My mpg figures are calculated by the filling and refilling method. You can't go by the trip computer, it's too optimistic. I really wish I was getting 27-29 mpg in mixed/city, and 32-34 on the hwy as the computer says. The distance-to-empty seems to be fairly accurate though, so I don't know why the mpg number is so far off. I brought this to the attention of Infiniti service, and they checked it out and said everything was ok. They said it's only an estimate and not a hard number.
    What is the RPM on the I35 at 70 mph?
    Hi, there
    I noticed mine(2004 I35)is above 3500 at 70mph. I am not a auto gurus but my previous honda civic is around 2500rpm. So what is RPM on yours? Have you get some answer yet? If it's not normal we have to visit dealer to check.
    Mr. Young,
    I am considering buying an I35 but you state that the RPM at 70 mph is approximately 3500. That is too high especially if one is trying to get a reasonable mpg out of this vehicle. I am hoping some other owners let us know what their RPM are at exactly 70 mph with the 3.5l engine.
    Just make sure the shifter is set at 4 and not 3. You can move the shifter left and right to change from 3 to 4. Once you're in 4th gear, your rpm's will drop significantly. At 60, you should be running 2000 rpm's, and at 70, it will be below 2500.
    Can someone give me the exact RPM at exactly 70 mph? Thanks so much.
    This is my first gated shift car in my life.
    After one month I even didn't notice that the D is there - which is very close to 3rd.
    My shifting style made me easily put it into 3. More confused to me is that infiniti dealer (north houston) service consultant have never given me hints like this when I called them. The transmision will damaged if...
    Thank you very much!
  • pham7pham7 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I just try to pump 100 octane racing car fuel from 76 station. What I did was pumping about 8 gallons 100 octane and the rest was 91 octane. So that way I would get about 95 octane. After that, I listen to the knock around 1800-2000 rpm where it usually happens on my car. The knock is gone. I have been driving the car for a week now and the knock really is gone. So I suspect that on the I35 engine, there is a problem to the low or even 91 octane. I took the car to the dealer several times and it even checked by regional engineer but they can not find out what the problem is. They just simply said the knock is normal. Try it to find any gas station that carries 100 octane and do like what I did but for only one time. After that I guess you need to pump 91 octane only.
    I suspect your car may have a problem with the knock sensor. Running 87 octane shouldn't cause any knocking, but you should notice a drop in power and fuel mileage.

I just had the oxygen sensor go out on my I35. My 'Check Engine Soon' light came on a couple of weeks ago, went off for a couple of days when it was really warm, then came back on when the weather cooled off again. It's being replaced under warranty. If you want the service dept. to recognize your symptoms, you should fill up with 87 octane gas and then take the service rep for a ride so they can hear the problem. I've never had a problem with Infiniti service telling me something was 'normal'. After all, thats why I bought the Infiniti, and not Nissan or Toyota.
    I am glad you now know the proper gears. Could you now give us a RPM reading at exactly 70 mph? Thanks
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I just closed on an I35 today, and the clock isn't moving. It's stuck at 10:05. How do I adjust it? And how can I get it to tell the right time once I've adjusted it?
    Congrats on your purchase.

You can change the time by turning the the little knob right. If you hold it, the minute hand will keep moving until you get to the right time. As far as why it's not moving, I can't help you there. Maybe a stop by the dealer service will get it resolved.
    I finally looked at the rpm's today while on the road. At 70, it spins at 2400.
    Thanks jhinsc. I appreciate that you took the time to post back here. I think most of the new I35s are gone now.
    Infiniti of Cincinnati still has about 45 of them.

I think Quirk Infiniti (Boston MA) still has around 30-35 I35s left.

And my local dealer is down to their final 2.
    I replaced the Bridgestones with new Falken Ziex ZE 512's, and boy what a difference in the ride! The Bridgestones always rode harsh, especially if I kept them at the recommended 32psi. Now, I have the Falken's at 32psi and they ride much smoother and quieter. Early on, I thought I was going to be stuck buying the Bridgestones again since my size is 225/50-17, but more manufacturers are now making this size. The big plus is they are much more affordable then the Bridgestones, by almost $300 on a set of 4, plus they have a 30k mile warranty and a 260 treadwear rating. The original Bridgestones had a 160 treadwear rating, and I had 39,000 miles on them when they were replaced. I probably could have driven them another 5-6k miles since they were not down to the treadwear indicators yet, but they didn't track very well during wet road conditions.
    Does Sams Club carry any tires that fit the I35? I know I'm thinking a little ahead (my I35 only has 300 miles on it) but its nice to know where I can get tires when the time comes to change tires.
    Yes they do, but the brand, Goodyears, are significantly higher priced than the Falkens. One of the primary reasons I got the Falken was the top rating it got from Consumer Reports. I got mine at Sears. They were on sale, and at the time I bought, they had a 10% off deal if I used the credit card. I got them for about $105 each before tax, mounting and balance. Sams Club's tire are going for $156 - $168, depending on the tire you buy.
  • holleyholley Member Posts: 2
    A few months ago I traded a '94 Nissan Maxima for a 2004 I35. I love the new car, but the Bose radio in the I35 doesn't tune FM stations nearly as crisply at the Bose in the old Maxima did. Maybe it has to do with the different antenna setup, but the FM stations often sound muddy with hissing "S" sounds. I thought maybe the FM antenna was not attached properly, but the dealer says it's fine. Anybody have the same issue?
    So far my FM Radio reception has been pretty good.

So tires for the I35 are readily available right? Any Michelins available for the I35? Or is it just Good Year and Falken? No other brands?
    There are Michelins available but they can be some of the most pricey tires you can find, depending on which specific tire you choose. A local retailer quoted me nearly $1,100 for a set of four, installed out the door price. The Falkens cost me under $500. Because I have the sport package, I need 225/50-17 V rated tires in order to maintain the original driving characteristics. For non-sport pkg I35's, the size is 215/55-17 H rated. The H rated Falkens come with a 60k mile warranty while the V rated ones are 30k miles, and the H rated tires did not come in my size. So for me, putting a lot of money into tires that I realistically will only get about 40-45k miles out of didn't make sense. I would have preferred to have Michelins, but not at the price they were wanting for them. For your I35, you can find Michelin MXV4's at a similar cost to the original Bridgestones. One thing I don't understand is why the Bridgestones are so pricey when they are really not that great of a tire to begin with. My previous car was an Acura RL and at 30k miles, the tires looked nearly new, and could have lasted at least 60k miles, if not more. In the end though, I would not have bought the Falkens if not for Consumer Reports.
    I don't understand why they're so expensive either. The tires are just marginal. But, the Bridgestones on my 97 Accord lasted 87,000 miles before I made a trip to Sams and replaced them with cheap Good Year Allegras.
  • rawdadrawdad Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a used 2002 I35 with 16k miles for 18,900. I have a 99 I30t that I just gave to my daughter. I remember when I got my 99 I30t that you could go to the Infiniti website and get an owners manual free of charge shipped to your house. Now the only option is to print a PDF file that is 300 pages. Does anyone know how to get an owners manual for my 02 I35?

I will post more to this site in the future when I get more experience with my new I35. If it is anything like my other Infiniti - there will be no problems.
    I guess you could go back to an Infiniti dealer and ask them to order one for you. It might cost a few dollars, but I believe its worth it.