Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I35 Maintenance and Repair

ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
(I figured I'd post this here as well...)

It appears as though there's a pretty common problem in the first few thousand I35s off the line that involves one of the Traction Control or ABS sensors, as far as I can tell (I haven't gotten a definitive answer from my dealer whether or not there is actually anything really wrong other than one of the sensor modules - and it seems to be common enough that it's a problem getting a good unit to replace them, since they're already on back-order).

Anyone else seen this problem? (the "TCS" or "VDC" light and the "ABS" lights stay on, and as soon as you put it in a forward gear, the sensor 'sees' slip, so that comes on, too)

>Mike< (the RatMan)

Comments

• ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    Well, since I still see only three or four people posting so far, I guess my odds are long that anyone else has had the problem I've had since I seem to have had mine the longest of anyone posting so far - a month - 30 days - tomorrow. After having it three days, the sad fact is today my dealer's service department told me it would be 15 days to get another sensor because the one they had in-stock failed the QC pre-install check (i.e. it, too was defective) as well and that they're on back-order that far out (15 days?!). He also told me I _had_ been driving it 7-800 miles in less-than-safe condition, no ABS or traction control at all. I previously believed it was just a sensor problem (obvious, now, since triggering the sensor shuts down the Traction Control and ABS systems). I'm not all that pleased... Mine happened at about 3 weeks into it or 1200 miles or so (I have a 70-mile commute daily). Obviously they can't be all that astounded if they've already had that many calls for this specific part. Hopefully, I'm just that darn lucky, but it doesn't look like it.

Please let me know if you run into similar problems - it involves a centrifugal sensor on the driver's side front wheel from what I understand. Once that happens it thinks it 'sees' the two front wheels out of sync and being technically impossible to recover it shuts down the whole shooting match.
  • eskalnyieskalnyi Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks.
    The hard way I learned about the uniqueness of the the tires that we have on I-35.
    Being on a business trip (about 150 miles from home) I blew a tire (beyond repair) and checked the nearest tire shop. After 2.5 hours of hard work I learned that the tire of this size is made only by Bridgestone and is not available at this time. This was confirmed by the local Infiniti dealer as well as the dealer in my city. They do not have these tires either. Now it has to be ordered directly from Bridgestone with the waiting period of over 30 days.
    So,... be careful when you drive. You may get stuck big time.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    Eskalnyi:
    Do you get a loaner while the car is out or did you get the full size spare? You could be in quite a predicament for just having bought a new car.
    Hi.
    America's Tire found a Pirelly that is slightly smaller but worked for me to get home and I still use it to get around. Interestingly enough, the dealership did not want to deal with this issue (I guess that answers your question about the loaner). So I am ordering a new tire directly from Bridgestone (the Firesstone/Bridgestone store did not have the tire either). This whole thing sucks.
    So, watch your driving and perhaps it would be a good idea to buy a car with a full size spare.
  • njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    You may want to check www.tirerack.com as they Bridgestones in stock for an I35 Luxury. Looks like there are more options for the I35 Sport.
    By the time I got back home (ten days), the dealer had obtained and replaced the sensor - which he said was on the right-rear tire (??). Not that this makes much sense to me (I suppose it's there for completeness, although those don't make the vehicle go forward), but I've had no problems since, and now have about 2500+ miles on the vehicle, since I live quite a way from my office.

>Mike<
  • infinitisellerinfinitiseller Member Posts: 23
    What package do you have? In Canada there would be a full size spare on the sport model. I can't beleive the dealer could not loan you one out of new car inventory. Our store has done it on the 02 QX4 tires until they came in. Infiniti Service!
    Look.
    You guys will have to believe that the tire was not available anywhere (including the dealership and the Bridgestone tire store). Unfortunately I had no full size spare.
    I guess it had nothing to do with the "Infiniti Service" issue. I find it outstanding. And by the way, they were very apologetic and surprised by this issue.
    Good luck and watch your tires.
  • alfaberalfaber Member Posts: 19
    Hi All,
    Just looked at this board, and saw the complaints about the odd tire size. I have a brand new Bridgestone Turanza EL42 in size 215/55R17. This came as a full-sized spare on my new I35, but I have taken it off and replaced it with a slightly smaller 215/50 X17 from Tire Rack. I did this to get back the extra 5 inches of trunk space that the full-sized spare in the non-sports package soaks up. This problem is presumably caused by Infiniti's changing the tire and wheel size for 2002 without enlarging the tire well in the trunk. I've trimmed down the original thin trunk floor cover, remounted the CD changer with an I30 vertical mounting kit, and will have finished rebuilding the trunk when I get an auto upholstery shop to make me a new carpet for the trunk.
    Anyway, the tire is brand new, never used, and I would be happy to ship it off to anyone that can use it. (I'm located in San Jose, CA area). Not sure what it should cost, but presumably $10 or so below the Tire Rack price.
    Please let me know if anyone is interested. Other than the trunk problem and the invisible analog clock at night, I love the car.
    --Andy
  • ninerlouninerlou Member Posts: 8
    Andrew:
    I wanted the car with a full size spare.. but when there wasn't one around..I settled for one without. How much for the tire..? I'm interested.
    Thanks
  • ggbogoggbogo Member Posts: 9
    Invoice is $155 for full size spare tire.
    Can't beat this price!
  • triffnertriffner Member Posts: 31
    Hi all, bought my I35 last month, just came off a 2000 300m (lemon). Not really sure if I like this car. My husband insisted..... Does everyone else feel every single bump in the road? I mean every bump. It seems the suspension isnt that great. Possible to put other shocks or something on it? Don't like the way the steering wheel shakes either. Well still trying to like it.
  • poonragepoonrage Member Posts: 3
    In comparison to the Chrysler 300M, the Infiniti will be a harder ride. Do you have the Sport Package? typically with sport packages, the ride will be stiffer.
  • wuxwux Member Posts: 18
    Make sure that the tire pressure is not too high.
  • slowdriverslowdriver Member Posts: 41
    If the steering wheel shakes when the car is going straight ahead, either the alignment is off or the tires need to be re-balanced. On a new I35 this should not happen.

The ride of the I35 is taught, but the suspension handles very well. You could let some of the air out of the tires, however be sure not to go below the recommended pressure.

The 300M has a very sloppy suspension, I rented one on a trip to NYC, thought I was going to get seasick.
  • marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    I traded in a 300M for my new I35. My car is just a few weeks old. Have not noticed steering wheel shaking or feeling every little bumb. I find the I35 to be a much much smoother ride than the 300M, handles better, is faster, and significantly quieter. Neither my old 300M or the new I35 have the sport suspension. Didn't want the stiffness. I buy cars more for freeway cruising than winding through the twisties. My only complaints with the I35 are the poor turning radius and the sunroof glass is not tinted. Turning radius makes some parking attempts an adventure and I don't understand why the sunroof glass is not tinted, but I can get that tinted on my own. Overall, though, a great car that should be reliable for many years.
  • triffnertriffner Member Posts: 31
    I'll have the dealer check it out, thanks.
  • rwilliamspoprwilliamspop Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my i35 two weeks ago. I don't like the turning radius much either,but overall I like the smooth ride and luxury features.
    My I35 is one month old. Great car in most respects, but turning radius is a problem. My wife doesn't like to drive the car because of it. I really did not experience this during my test drive because I basically drove the car on main streets and the interstate, did not test park it. My daughter has 2000 Honda Accord which is a bit smaller, but not by much. Turning radius on the Honda is much better. You can see how much more the front wheels will turn. I don't understand why the I35 is like this. But not much I can do about it. I am getting used to it, learning to swing out more before I pull into parking space. I think it is a design flaw. But again, I do love the car.
  • alfaberalfaber Member Posts: 19
    Marcus216: I think it's clear why the turning radius is so large -- Infiniti wanted to go to 17" wheels this year and was too cheap to redesign the front end to allow adequate clearance. It's the same reason the the full size spare tire (non-sport) doesn't fit in the tire well.
    I really like my I35, but these examples of cost-cutting don't speak well for Infiniti as a company. I've spent about $400 to rebuild my trunk to get the extra 4-5 inches lost to this design problem back (if anyone is interested, I'll post details).
    --Andy
    Thanks for your observation. Interesting that the 17" wheels are the cause. To me, a shorter turning radius and 16" wheels would have been preferable. Frankly, I can't see the difference in 16" or 17" wheels. But it is what it is and you just have to get used to the turning radius.
  • mur2mur2 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced an annoying clicking noise when slight pressure is applied to the accelerator pedal? According to the dealer (Orlando Infiniti) it's the throttle switch and every I35 will experience it. It's not overbearing but quite discernable when the radio is off and you listen for it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    I have not experienced the clicking noise with the accelerator pedal. I hear a soft clicking noise when I depress the brake pedal. Doesn't really bother me.
  • ggbogoggbogo Member Posts: 9
    I don't have this problem. Next time you will be for service and getting loaner (get I35) take a look if it's happend. If not - bringing back loaner tell your dealership that this is not on all I35.
  • rodivarodiva Member Posts: 11
    Well, after hearing all these turning radius problems I started paying more attention when backing and turning. 2nd day of ownership i heard a clicking sound when backing my I35, same sound after put trans into "D". Only happends when backing. I thought it was shift lock making noise. Now after replacing it and driving back home on highway at 75mph, I feel the steering wheel isn't straight when car is going straight. the infiniti logo and the wooden part of steering wheel angle toward the left a bit. When I turned the wheel straight, the car pulls to the right.
    My question is, replacing the c.v. axel shaft shouldn't affect the alignment right?
    Have you all pay attention on the Infiniti logo and wooden steering wheel when driving straight, to see if the car is within alignment spec or not? your feedback is appreciated.
    Sounds like the alignment is out of whack, but I certainly am not an expert. I would take it back to the dealer and let them look a it
    I30 bought few weeks ago, now 364 miles. Had right side front axle shaft replaced due to a clicking noise. Car pulled to right afterward. Brought it in today to check alignment. Dealer duplicated problem, saying alignment within spec, but steering wheel off center, said fixed it. But on the way back still pull to right a bit.
    Do you all I30 owners ever pay attention on the straightness of you cars when put your steering wheel straight? i use the infiniti logo as the guideline, and on flat surface it just still pull to right side.
    Normally I know changing axle doesn't affect alignment, but Infiniti said ball joint was "touched" so they had to fix. any suggestion? maybe i should take it to another Infiniti dealer, hope they will honor the work.
  • tigertank2tigertank2 Member Posts: 1
    My I35 with the Sport Package makes a spring noise every time after start up then moving either forward or reverse. I had the ABS actuator replaced.The noise stopped for a week then returned. Now Infinity says this is normal noise.This is not a clicking noise but a spring noise.Very load and annoying.Can be felt in the gas pedal. I thought I bought a Luxury Car. Consumer Affairs no help. Anybody else have this problem?
    Try calling Ida Cohen @ Infiniti Corp, Offices. 310-771-3749. She maybe able to get your problem to the correct person. Sometimes the dealers do not want to fix a problem which does not make them any profit.
  • kosurirajukosuriraju Member Posts: 1
    I bought new Infinity I35 on 8/26/2002.
    The speedometer reading at 65 MPH is about
    3500-3600 RPM.

Is it normal?
    PS: For Hondas & Accura it is about 2000RPM
  • robdamrobdam Member Posts: 2
    Make sure you have the gear in "D" and not "3". They are easy to change between so be careful.
    I have not taken an exact reading on my 2002 I35 for RPM's at 65 miles per hour, but I know it is in the area on 2300 RPM. Check to make sure you are in 4th gear and not 3rd gear. It is quite easy to accidently slip the car into 3rd gear and not know it. If this is not the problem, I would have the car checked out. If you are truly running 3500 RPM in 4th gear at 65 MPH, there is a problem possibly with the transmission.
  • coastmtg1coastmtg1 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased Friday 8/30 @ Infiniti of Melbourne.Has anyone else purchased from this dealer ? So far so good. I have the front end shimmy that was mentioned by someone on this board. They are going to check balance and alignment. Ride feels a bit "loose" is this common?
  • averymattaverymatt Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new I35 in late July. We selected one with the Nav/Sport package. The car is loaded and I really enjoy driving it. But there is this issue of my mysterious door molding. The passenger side has a door molding with a chrome strip, but the drivers side is solid black like all other I35s. I may be the only owner with this problem, but I don't think so. My dealer states that the part is not available to North America (which means there is a part somewhere) and they can't order it because they don't have a part number. Today they offered to remove the mystery molding and install the solid black molding on the passenger side. The chrome molding really adds to the side appearance and I am willing to pay for the part, if I only knew who to order it from. I know the chrome molding exists because its on one side of my car. If anyone has any info on this please respond. Thanks
    As posted earlier, 1st week after purchased i had right side axle replaced, then following 1.5 month trying to fix the steering wheel off center problem. Tried 2 dealerships, called Infiniti customer relation. strangely, after 4th alignement and a front tire rotation, problem finally solved.
    but now, each time i drive the car (when the car has been parked for more than 1+ hour) the very first application on brake pedal, light or hard on it - front right making a grinding noise. I think the caliper just grabs the pad so tight. And it only happens when the car has park long time, so dealer wasn't able to duplicate the problem. can the caliper piston is out of alignment until the very first brake is applied to the pad?
  • tturedraidertturedraider Member Posts: 159
    This may be what's wrong....granted that my car is older....my '96 G20 started grinding the right front brake....it started out slowly (I thought it was a warped disk) and got worse and worse. What had happened was the caliper failed. It was not releasing and it dug a nasty gouge in my rotor, almost ruining it. Fortunately my brake guy was able to machine it. Hope this helps.
    btw - use Infiniti pads....I let my brake guy talk me into some others and they generated too much heat for the disks and ended up warping my rotors twice. He ended up having to buy me new disks and Infiniti pads.
  • misterb1misterb1 Member Posts: 1
    My I35 has about 9200 miles. I started noticing the 'spring' noise about a month and a half ago. I'm taking it in for normal service & will be asking about it. Tigertank2...did you ever get a satisfactory response?
  • pham7pham7 Member Posts: 13
    I found a problem which is engine knocking at cruising speed from 0 to 40 mph and in warm condition with my I35 and I bought it to dealer for repair. They had 2 engineers from Japan and 2 from USA division testing out my car. They also tested another new I35 and a Maxima in the dealer lot. They admitted that there is engine knocking as I described above. Unfortunately they said that it can not be fixed because it it "normal". I then told them it is unbelievable because this engine model is one of the ten best engines in the world and it is also used in G35, Maxima, Z35.
    I like to inform all of I35 owners this problem. Please pay attention to the knocking and bring it to the dealer to see how they say about it. The more people complain it, the more attention they will get and do something to it. I can not tell how disapointed I am with Infiniti right now. I thought it should be good because it is a luxury name plate and it competes with Lexus and other luxury car makers.
    You should send a letter with your concerns to:

Mr. Mark McNab
    VP & GM
    Infiniti Motors
    P.O. Box 191
    Gardena, Ca. 90248

Sometimes, directions need to come from the top.......
    Here's an odd one I've seen a couple of times, but can not put a finger on any pattern - my dealer tells me they do not recognize it as any type of 'diagnostic' indicator, so I figured I would ask here and see if anyone else has seen it. My '02 I35 every once in a blue moon will start flashing the "SET" light about once per second when I have the cruise control 'on' but not set (in other words, avaiable, but not in use). Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas or 'secrets' from your dealers as to what this means? I've seen it happen maybe three or four times over the past 10-12000 miles.

RatMan
  • shodanyzfshodanyzf Member Posts: 2
    RatMan,
    How's it going? Well I hope. In a possible answer to your post, read page 5-12 of your owners manual. The title is "Precautions on Cruise Control", it might help to shed some light on your question.
    Hope this helps!
    Enjoy the Ride!!! Russ
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    If you have buzzing noise from the small rear windows, read messages #727 and 735. You can call Johny at Pinnacle Peak Infinity in Scottsdale, AZ. It was the 2nd dealer I brought my I35 in for the repair. Johny fixed that noise in my I35.
    Go to message #887 and 888 if you have springy noise from the front of the I35. Even it's loud but is normal, unfortunately. The noise is from the ABS when it's in check. It happens twice, once when you start the engine, the noise is then shadowed so you hardly hear it unless you really pay attention. The ABS checks again when the car start to reach 6mph when it moves in either direction, forward or backward. I get used to that noise. Just ignore it and enjoy your I35!
  • akhan8212akhan8212 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my i35 end of october 2002. I have a clicking noise coming from the front passenger side dash board. It is very intermittent. I once took a mechanic with me and it did not happen at that time. When I am driving alone, I can always hear it and it happens while driving at different speeds. Car has only 2000 miles on it, but it has been doing it while it had only 500 miles on it. I was wondering if anybody else has the same problem.
  • krishna__jkrishna__j Member Posts: 24
    akhan,
    My 2001 I30 and several other Nissan/Infiniti vehicles I have been in appear to have a similar problem. In my case it was the interior air blower motor making the noise. There is a TSB out for it and Infiniti's solution is to put an additional cover over the motor. Reduces the noise significantly but does not completely eliminate it.

Easiest way to check is to switch off the interior fan when the noise appears and see if that stops it.

Hope this helps.
  • akhan8212akhan8212 Member Posts: 2
    Hello krishna,
    I turned off the fan and it still happens. I think it is coming from the passanger side air bag. I am not too sure about it.
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    i write a tiny weekly auto feature for a major business daily and am looking for drivers of the infiniti I35 to share their experiences with me and possibly be listed in the small piece (in the paper) as a driver of the car. Executive-types preferred (ceos, VPs, doctors, lawyers etc.) but all are welcomed to contact me about their I35. My email is LANETEF@YAHOO.COM
    Hi every body,
    My sunroof popped up by itself twice over the past 10 months. My I35 is 1 year old.
    I wonder if any one has had the same problem. If you did, how was the fix?
    Thank you very much!
  • bergerbitsbergerbits Member Posts: 7
    Dear pham7 from Nov 14,2002 message #40,

I have recently experienced engine knocking when slowly accelerated from 0 to 20 mph. Does this mean the I35 does not have an anti-knocking sensor? Today, a lot of cars do have them. What was the cause of your knocking? How many miles do you have on your odometer? Do you travel short distances per day? Could this be carbon build up because you baby the engine? Do you need to floor the car once in a while to blow out the carbon? What octane fuel do you use? 93? What have you done about the knocking? Share your experience. Thanks.
  • maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    Email me if you have any hesitation. most likely it's your 'drive by wire'. there is TSB for it and i will give you the link you need to get it corrected by the dealership.