Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Online Services Experiences (Carsdirect.com, Carwoo.com, etc.)

baseballmom94baseballmom94 Member Posts: 92
Has anyone used the CarsDirect website to purchase a vehicle? The prices seem to be very reasonable and supposedly you don't have to haggle with the dealer. I am planning to purchase or lease a vehicle in February and am interested in using this service. Please post about your experiences.

Comments

• universal1universal1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any experience in dealing with
    this company? I have just spoken to a customer
    service rep who claims their company works as
    follows: They will GUARANTEE invoice pricing on
    ANY and ALL cars sold in the USA. They work with
    dealers in a given customer's area to secure their
    customer's desired car. If they are not able to
    buy the car at invoice or better from the dealer,
    they will subsidize the difference to live up to
    their guarantee to the customer of invoice pricing.
    If necessary, they will work with dealers
    nation-wide to secure pricing and have the car
    drop-shipped, at NO CHARGE to the customer, to the
    closest dealership to the. The customer pays
    invoice + applicable state tax + licensing fees.
    They claim NO FEES are paid by the customer to
    CarsDirect. They also claim that, unlike Autobytel
    and some others, they don't charge the dealer a
    fee to become part of their network, so there is no
    risk involved on the dealers' part. I asked them
    how they make money and he claimed they had no
    intentions of turning a profit in their first few
    years of existence (they have been around for about
    6 months), but that they were trying to "build a
    brand" ala Yahoo, Excite, Amazon, etc... They are
    planning on going public 1st Quarter of next year.

Call me a skeptic, but I just find this all to be
    too good to be true. I want to know where the
    "catch" is. So, my question is: Does anyone have
    any first-hand knowledge on how CarsDirect works
    and if they can be trusted? I am in the market for
    an Acura 3.2TL which is selling at MSRP all over
    the country. If they can come through on their
    guarantee to deliver invoice pricing, I will save
    about $3,000 and they will have a customer
    TOMORROW!

Anything anyone might have to share would be
    greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • msandamsanda Member Posts: 12
    Hi again,

I posted this in the Acura 3.2TL thread, where I first saw your post. For the benefit of others who might not read that thread, I thought I'd repost it here.
    --------------------------------------------------
    OK folks, I was gonna wait til this was a done
    deal for me, but, seeing it's started, I'll jump
    in. :-)

I have had a deposit on a TL for about 2 weeks
    (full MSRP, ugh). I have spent the last several
    days on the phone w/ a rep from CarsDirect, as well
    as my local dealer - first trying to find the
    "angle" for CarsDirect, then convincing my dealer
    that it was worth going forward. ("Even if it's a
    scam, I'll still buy the car at MSRP")

Here is where I stand:

Today, my dealer faxed my purchase and sales
    agreement to CarsDirect, w/ a VIN on it (due on
    4/16). That is supposed to be enough for
    CarsDirect to OVERNIGHT a check for $2,758 to my
    dealer (the difference between MSRP and invoice, in
    my case). My dealer is still quite skeptical, (as
    am I!) and wants to have his legal counsel review
    whatever documentation they receive w/ this check.
    Assuming this is for real, I will then purchase
    the car next week for invoice price. Pretty sweet!
    :-)

As for more about CarsDirect, I dug up that they
    are backed by idealab! (www.idealab.com), the same
    company behind eToys.com, CitySearch.com, goto.com
    and shopping.com, and many others. Evidently,
    these folks are no newbies to eCommerce, and are
    willing to spend a lot up front to gain enough of a
    following that, when they go public, they make the
    big bucks.

Sounds like yet another startup looking to make it
    big off the stock market frenzy for anything
    Internet. Nonetheless, if I can help them achieve
    this goal, and benefit in the process, sounds good
    to me.

I will update this forum as soon as "the check
    arrives".

Regards,
    Sandman
    I posted this on the Sedan section, but it is
    probably more appropriate to be posted here. So,
    here it is:

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with
    this company? I have just spoken to a customer
    service rep who claims their company works as
    follows: They will GUARANTEE invoice pricing on
    ANY and ALL cars sold in the USA. They work with
    dealers in a given customer's area to secure their
    customer's desired car. If they are not able to
    buy the car at invoice or better from the dealer,
    they will subsidize the difference to live up to
    their guarantee to the customer of invoice pricing.
    If necessary, they will work with dealers
    nation-wide to secure pricing and have the car
    drop-shipped, at NO CHARGE to the customer, to the
    closest dealership. The customer pays invoice +
    applicable state tax + licensing fees. They claim
    NO FEES are paid by the customer to CarsDirect.
    They also claim that, unlike Autobytel
    and some others, they don't charge the dealer a
    fee to become part of their network, so there is
    no risk involved on the dealers' part. I asked
    them how they make money and he claimed they had no
    intentions of turning a profit in their first few
    years of existence (they have been around for
    about 6 months), but that they were trying to
    "build a brand" ala Yahoo, Excite, Amazon, etc...
    They are planning on going public 1st Quarter of
    next year.

Call me a skeptic, but I just find this all to be
    too good to be true. I want to know where the
    "catch" is. So, my question is: Does anyone have
    any first-hand knowledge on how CarsDirect works
    and if they can be trusted? I am in the market
    for an Acura 3.2TL which is selling at MSRP all
    over the country. If they can come through on
    their guarantee to deliver invoice pricing, I will
    save about $3,000 and they will have a customer
    TOMORROW!

Anything anyone might have to share would be
    greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • eddie16eddie16 Member Posts: 1
    I wait with great anticipation. There is another one of these places out there called carorder.com that also seems like a scam to me.
    Wanted to post an update on my situation with CarsDirect. They gave me 6 references from dealerships in my area of the country. I got in touch with 4 of the 6. All 4 had nothing but positive things to say about the company. In each case, CarsDirect delivered on the promised check and the customers left extremely happy, as was the dealership. The references had NO IDEA how CarsDirect was "giving away money" (as one ref put it), but that they did send the check they promised.

One more big issue I discussed with one of the references, who happened to be the owner of his dealership, was my risk as the customer. All CarsDirect is asking me to do is put down a $500 REFUNDABLE deposit with the DEALERSHIP and sign the necessary DEALERSHIP paperwork to authorize them to order the car. I asked what he (the dealership owner) would do in a situation where CarsDirect failed to send the check they promised. He said ANY reputable dealership would, indeed, refund my deposit and I would lose NOTHING.

Bottom line is, I am going to take a leap of faith and see what happens. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 cars:

1) Buying an Acura TL without Nav for a purchase price of out the door price of $26,227, which includes floor mats, mud guards and wheel locks.

or

2) They have quoted me a 36 month/15,000 mile lease payment of $456, paying tax, tag and processing fees up front, on a 328i Sedan with the premium package, Harmon Kardon stereo, and automatic tansmission. Cap Cost is $34,880, residual is 67%, money factor is .0032.

If this is for real, I don't know why ANYONE wouldn't buy their car through CarsDirect. The only exception I can think of would be a situation where you could buy a car below invoice from the dealer. Otherwise, CarsDirect would be the ticket. The customer wins. The dealership wins. CarsDirect is the only one who loses. Or so it seems. Stay tuned.
    Ok folks, it's update time! :-)

Here's what transpired today:
    Carsdirect did NOT send the check yesterday.
    Evidently, they just moved into new office space
    last weekend, and things are moving a little
    slowly. However, they DID send the check today.
    They even faxed me a copy of the check, and also
    gave me a FedEx tracking number. The check should
    arrive at my dealer tomorrow. The only remaining
    question is if the check bounces? I can't imagine
    that the dealer will actually close the deal w/ me
    until that check clears. Being in Rhode Island,
    and the check being drawn on a Wells Fargo bank in
    California, I suppose it's going to be another 10
    days or so til we have the answer. :-(

However, I had asked my Carsdirect rep to send
    references to my dealer, and I'm not sure if that
    has happened yet.

So I guess I'll be waiting it out over the next 10
    days. I will post again when the check arrives
    tomorrow.

Also, I would like to point out that Carsdirect
    does not plan on covering the difference between
    MSRP and invoice FOREVER. This is a very temporary
    "special". They won't commit to a termination
    date - my guess is it's not based on a date, but on
    the funds available? Anyway, if you're thinking
    of doing this, I'd get the ball rolling quickly.
    To date, I have not signed anything other than my
    original P&S agreement w/ my dealer. So it really
    does seem "risk-free" to me. HURRY! :-)

More to come tomorrow,
    Sandman
  • wingsneckwingsneck Member Posts: 3
    I, like Universal1, would love to hear from people about their experience with carsdirect.com it seems too good to be true. If cardsdirect.com can get some of the more popular cars at invoice I'll use them in a heartbeat. Can anyone out there provide us with any info on there guys? Thanks.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    we're waiting to hear the "More to come tomorrow..." We also, by the way, have a small topic in Smart_Shopper CarsDirect.com (Topic #1305) that we're watching.

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, edmunds.com
    Sorry folks, nothing more to offer yet. My car's expected delivery date is tomorrow though. I've spoken w/ the dealer (Wednesday) and he is confident that the check will clear. With any luck, I'll pick up my car this Saturday.

The dealer did say though that, "if this check bounces, I'm coming after YOU, not carsdirect." I don't know what recourse he has against ME, unless he plans on having me sign something specific about this? (Note: when I originally "sold" the dealer on talking w/ carsdirect, I promised him that he had nothing to lose - if it was a scam, I'd still take delivery at full MSRP.)

Anyway, I really do hope to update you folks this weekend as the first person out here (to my knowledge?) to actually take advantage of this great offer! :-)

Regards,
    Sandman
    Sorry folks, nothing more to offer yet. My car's expected delivery date is tomorrow though. I've spoken w/ the dealer (Wednesday) and he is confident that the check will clear. With any luck, I'll pick up my car this Saturday.

The dealer did say though that, "if this check bounces, I'm coming after YOU, not carsdirect." I don't know what recourse he has against ME, unless he plans on having me sign something specific about this? (Note: when I originally "sold" the dealer on talking w/ carsdirect, I promised him that he had nothing to lose - if it was a scam, I'd still take delivery at full MSRP.)

Anyway, I really do hope to update you folks this weekend as the first person out here (to my knowledge?) to actually take advantage of this great offer! :-)

Regards,
    Sandman
    The dealer has absolutely NO RECOURSE where you are concerned. How can YOU be responsible for whether or not a CarsDirect check bounces??? If I remember correctly, wasn't the dealer going to have his legal council do a background check on CarsDirect? Don't let him intimidate you. Should you choose not to take delivery, he can sell the car to someone else tomorrow! He chose to take a risk just like you. It shouldn't be an issue, anyway. If the check is in hand, it will cash. Good luck and keep us posted!
    The dealer has absolutely NO RECOURSE where you
    are concerned. How can YOU be responsible for
    whether or not a CarsDirect check bounces??? If I remember correctly, wasn't the dealer going to have his legal council do a background check on
    CarsDirect? Don't let him intimidate you. Should you choose not to take delivery, he can sell the
    car to someone else tomorrow! He chose to take a
    risk just like you. It shouldn't be an issue,
    anyway. If the check is in hand, it will cash.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Yes, the dealer had mentioned having his attorneys at least review any documentation sent w/ the check. I don't think he's doing that though, from our recent discussions. It sounds like he's pretty confident.

Either he plans to have ME sign something agreeing to cover the diff if it bounces, or he already knows that it didn't bounce, or he's a FOOL? I know I sure would've done a trace on that check to make SURE it cleared before letting the car go out the door $3k under market value! :-)
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    so, i fill out the request on-line that says ill be contacted in 24hrs.

one week later no response, so i call the (toll free) number.im told i will be called back soon after leaving my info.A few minutes later the rep calls and "just so happen to e-mail me right before i called". gives me the numbers on the car i requested, that happen to be invoice exact according to edmunds pricing. says if im interested they will start a data base to look for my car, and will be contacted.

i was told that this is a free special and dont expect it to last for more than another THREE days.
    so, two days later still no response on my vehicle, we shall see, but im sceptical....
    I sure hope he meant "3 days more for newcomers" and not you! My guess is that they will honor your call though.

Good luck.
  • frankrizzofrankrizzo Member Posts: 67
    I am shopping for a Porsche Boxster. Before I found them, I used my "method" (documented above in post #1079), to find a dealer who was willing to discount my 2000 Boxster by $3766. I contacted CarsDirect, and the rep said that they had had a hard time finding dealers who would discount them any, and the ~$7500 was a bit much to subsidize the way they are. I told him of my deal for $3766 below MSRP, he said they COULD do that, and he would check their normal channels to see if they could beat me price. That was about a week ago. I spoke to Todd last night, and he said that they had been unable to beat my deal, but would certainly take my deal, and subsidize the rest. I told him that I was expecting a "Buyer's Agreement" in the mail any day now, and that I would fax them a copy when it came in. He agreed to send a check for the difference when he got my fax, and we'd be off and running. (He said that their check would act as my deposit, so I didn't even need to send money to the dealer). If this works, it's about an $8K savings once you add the taxes and trash in. Did they ask you guys to be in their advertising? They did me, and I told him that for $8K savings on a car, I'd be the poster boy! (You guys might get to see what I really look like!....That's a scary thought!) he he..
    Sounds wonderful Frank. And a Porsche even ("There IS no substitute", name that movie?!) :-)

They didn't ask me about posing nude next to my Acura 3.2TL or anything, but for the $3k savings, I might think about it if they need me to! :0

Regards,
    Sandman
    The movie was Risky Business, and the infamous line was uttered by none other than Tom Cruise.

As for posing nude, I don't know that I would get carried away. Hmm.. If they threw in another couple of K, I would probably do it! (Make it an even $10,000 discount).
    A quick update -

The dealership received the check from CarsDirect this past Saturday and plan to deposit the check tomorrow (Monday). As long as the check doesn't bounce, which I can't imagine it would, I am home free and the TL is mine with a savings of over $3000! Stay tuned.

BTW, Frank - they did ask me to give them a testimonial, which I said I would be glad to do once the check had arrived at the dealership and had been successfully cashed.
    Universal1, congrats! There was a guy on the BMW board (I think that is where I saw it), who said he had bought his car from them, and it worked as advertised. Sounds like you are well on your way, as I hope to be soon also! My only problem is that there is a chance that the price that I get quoted will change, due to the rumored 2000 price increase. I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.. Keep us informed! I'm psyched!
  • szellersszellers Member Posts: 22
    I talked to Carsdirect last week and Todd told me that he didn't think their invoice price offer was going to last much longer, but since he had quoted me a price, he would honor that price. I am calling him tomorrow to get the ball rolling and hopefully on my way to my new TL. I'll let you know what happens. This seems too good to be true, but if I can get that kind of discount, I'll be their poster boy too!
  • dadivinerdadiviner Member Posts: 4
    Must you finance with CarsDirect?

If so what's the rate you got?

Keep us posted. . .
    dadiviner -

No, you finance the car through your local dealership, bank, credit union, or anywhere else you want. Think of it as buying a car just as always from your local dealership, but with CarsDirect making your down-payment. You can also lease, if you so desire.
  • rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    I don't get it. I can almost understand the initial promotional tactic of making up the difference between invoice and msrp, but what exactly would your testimonials be for? the sort of deal that won't be available to those reading the testimonials?
    It sounds like this service is throwing some people a bone (which is great for them), and then using their understandably enthusiastic quotes in future ads for just another buying/referral service similar to all the others. Future buyers will hope for, but not get, the same great deals.
    Is this close to the mark?
    That they plan to throw this money away to get customers, market share, and "Brand Awareness". Once their name is on the street, and everyone knows who they are, they plan to go public like Amazon, Yahoo, E-Bay, etc. (And make ALL that money back, and then some!). I'm not sure what the deal will be when the "introductory offer" is over, but it COULD still be good.
  • binksterbinkster Member Posts: 4
    eddie 16

I've placed my order through CarOrder.com and checked it out with the dealer they are working with. The internet sales person whom CarOrder works with gave nothing but rave reviews about the service. He said that he has delivered 7 cars in the past month for them. In the case of the TL, where it is being sold at MSRP, he said CarOrder sends the dealer a check for the invoice difference and thier check was good. I asked how CarOrder makes money. The dealers says CarOrder makes it up in volume and MSRP cars are far and few between. As a matter of fact, dealers pay CarOrder for thier services. I am waiting for my TL delivery. Yet to receive a delivery date, but I feel better since I checked CarOrder and the dealer out.
  • cfg1cfg1 Member Posts: 85
    Sounds like a scam to me.
    I would think that if you had to pay them anything. All they ask from you is a testimonial after it is all done describing your experiences. You sign nothing!

You pay them NOTHING!
  • cfg1cfg1 Member Posts: 85
    Frank,
    I don't mean it is a scam to you. I mean that they are going to use your good name to try to bait-and-switch other people with your testimonial. They're going to put your picture there saying 'I got a Porsche Boxster for invoice', but when a new customer calls up and tries to get one at invoice, I don't think he is going to get it.

I don't blame you for trying it, but it seems more like you a winning a prize than getting a deal.
    But the beauty here is that I get the car for the best deal possible, and if the people following me can't get the same deal, that is bad. I don't think that I will appear as a sheister, or a snake-oil salesman. I'm just "That lucky guy who actually got one!". cfg1, I have to admit, this isn't the direction that I thought you were going at all. Universal1 and I have been in the middle of a firestorm over on the BMW chat board (www.bimmer.org), with people saying ALL KINDS of stupid things about a service they know nothing about. I understand, and appreciate your point of view on this. If what I am being told is any indication, I will be one of MANY names on their list. I might try to get them to list my name as FrankRizzo. It would carry more internet clout that way. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I'll let you guys know what happens, as I faxed Todd my "Buyer's Order" today. The only thing that is screwy with my deal is that I am ordering a car that hasn't had pricing released yet, and there is a rumor of a price increase. (The good news is that the maximum amount that the price could swing is about $200 their part).
  • rebekah1rebekah1 Member Posts: 1
    Binkster,

I've been looking to buy a new BMW 323i through CarOrder.com but wanted to make sure this service was for real first. Would love to hear more about your experiences with them before I jump in. Either way, I'm hoping to save money and avoid negotiating with the dealers here in the San Francisco Bay Area -- it's hard to strike a deal when folks are walking in and paying MSRP!

Thanks,
    Rebekah
  • pdennis125pdennis125 Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading the posts here and on the bimmer board about CarsDirect.com, so I thought I would throw my very recent experience with CarsDirect into the fray.

Here's my story so far:

I placed an order for an Acura 3.2TL on 3/26 for MSRP($28,405). I gave the dealer a $500 check which is refundable for any reason if I decide not to take delivery on the car. Last Thursday, April 15, I discovered here in the Town Hall the posts regarding CarsDirect.com. I went to their website and was somewhat skeptical, but decided it was certainly worth a 1-800 call to check it out. I spoke with a representative and explained that I already had a car on order and wondered if I could still use their service. She informed me that it would depend on the dealer's willingness to work with CarsDirect, but that someone would call me back to follow up. I gave her my name and phone number and that was all.

On Saturday, 4/16, Rick from CarsDirect.com called me to explain their service and said that I could participate in their "promotion" that guaranteed invoice price. He took the name of my dealer and told me that he just had to get the dealer to agree to accept the check from them for the difference between invoice price and MSRP.

On Monday, 4/19, Rick called to tell me that he had spoken to the dealer and had given the dealer some other Acura dealers to contact as references. He said that everything was going fine and I did not need to contact the dealer.

On Tuesday, Rick called to inform me of the "good news" that CarsDirect would be sending a check to the dealer for $2,758.75. My dealer called me about 15 minutes later to tell me that he had checked these guys out thoroughly and they were legitimate. He said there was no reason to believe that they would not do what they said they would do. He also "thanked" me for putting him in touch with CarsDirect and he said that he was looking forward to establishing a great relationship with them. "This is a win-win for everybody", were his exact words.

So as of now I am awaiting delivery of my car. The dealer tells me that it should arrive in three more weeks. Rick at CarsDirect is going to overnight the check to the dealer and fax me a copy of the check. I think that this is going to occur today, but I'll let you know.

Anyway, once they send the check and I drive away in my new Acura at "Invoice" price, then I'll remove the "potentially" label and call myself a "truly" satisfied customer.

BTW, the only thing Rick asked for from me was an E-mail to him regarding my satisfaction with his service. I was happy to comply.
    pdennis125 -

Great news! I am glad to hear things worked out for you. Sounds like we will be receiving our cars around the same time. I will post my impressions and look forward to yours. Isn't the internet great?
  • johnyoojohnyoo Member Posts: 18
    I just checked out the website and was disappointed to see that maybe the introductory offer is over? The little price ticker quoted a carsdirect price of $1000 over invoice on an Infiniti G20! Well I'm still about 3 weeks away from buying(have to finish finals first doh!) but maybe I'll give it a shot.
    well, one week later and no response to the search for my car.i belived the options i asked for would need to be ordered anyways, but have not been contacted in regards to this .

also has anyone noticed that they leave off pricing for some options, every thing was in line for the 323 i requested, except charge for metallic paint, and we know BMW charges for metallic paint.

comments.....
  • scottblascottbla Member Posts: 3
    Yeah...I just went & looked up the Toyota Solara SE V6 (that I'm still a bit short of getting, even at invoice price) and the CarsDirect price was about 8% over invoice. Oh well...guess it's still wait-and-see time...and an invoice+8% price probably isn't going to get me to use their service either.
    A quick update on my story :

I just got off the phone with my dealer. He received the check from CarsDirect.com yesterday and deposited it in the bank. My "account" has been credited for $2,758 which will be applied toward the purchase of my car. Now all I am doing is waiting for my car to arrive in about three more weeks.

This is unbelievable, but it is true!!! I am now a "truly" satisfied CarsDirect.com customer.

Universal1 -

Yes, the internet is great. My sincere thanks go out to you, FrankRizzo, Sandman, and others who took the time share your thoughts on CarsDirect.com with people like me who new nothing about them. That is what makes the internet such a powerful tool.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your car!!!
  • scottblascottbla Member Posts: 3
    I assume that means that you were satisfied with the service they provided as well? Now that invoice price promo seems to be over, is there a good reason to give their service a try?

Thanx.
    ok, i was contacted that they have found two simular vehicles to what i requested except each has about one additional option i didnt want.

or, they are letting me know on ordering a car.

question,? should i take the in stock car ,and get the rebate, or take a chance on ordering a car?

i would hate to order, and then 10 weeks later, be told oh, sorry it does not apply now.

also, y2k options and pricing are sure to change fo the 323i.

any suggestions?? frank ??

'Don
    dl7265, this is my personal opinion of what I would do in your position. (And what I AM doing too!). I would go for the Y2K model, for many reasons. From what I hear, there may be cool things standard on the 2K that were not on the 99s. 2ndly, the 2Ks are just around the corner, and if you bought from dealer stock, you would have a "new" car for a couple of months before it became "a year old". Next, when you are spending this kind of money, it is my opinion that you should get exactly what you want, and not have to "settle" for anything you don't want. Now, what they will do, is send your dealer of choice the check, and they will use it as your deposit. You still get the deal, for the right price, on exactly the car you want. Also, you spoke of the possibility of a price increase, I KNOW there will be one on the Boxster, but when I worked out the numbers, the top of the range that PCNA has said only amounts to $208 difference in the check from CarsDirect. When they are paying $3,580, I figure I could probably handle $208 over invoice.

Ultimately it's up to you, but I hope that I have given you some things to think about. Also, you can head over to www.bimmer.org, as someone has gotten the info on the Y2K models, and posted it. You can see what the new options are, and what the new prices are.

Good Luck!
    scottbla:

I was very satisfied with their service. My service rep was Rick. Ask for him when you give them a call and tell him I sent you. He was the most helpful and thorough service rep that I have ever dealt with from any company. His extension is 169.
    Ok Folks, the long-awaited update...

My car is IN!!! I can pick it up Monday afternoon. My $2800 check from www.carsdirect.com has been at my dealer for about 2 weeks now, so I guess it's not rubber. :-)

I'll update everyone on Monday, when I bring "the baby" home! :-)

Regards,
    Sandman
    Ok Folks, the long-awaited update...

My car is IN!!! I can pick it up Monday afternoon. My $2800 check from www.carsdirect.com has been at my dealer for about 2 weeks now, so I guess it's not rubber. :-)

I'll update everyone on Monday, when I bring "the baby" home! :-)

Looks like I'll actually be able to say "I got my TL for invoice!" :P

(I don't mean to rub it in, just happy)

Sorry to those who didn't get in on time. Though if they can get TL's for $1200 off MSRP, that's still a savings worth contacting them about - seeing most of us had agreed (or bought!) at full MSRP.

Good luck to all!

Regards,
    Sandman
  • flinflin Member Posts: 29
    invoice price deal is now over. I was able to squeak in at the last moment. They seem to still have some pretty good deals, just not as good as those for us lucky ones :)
    i agree, also the steering problems suposed to have new control arms for y2k.

however, there is no y2k pricing available yet.
    i know it will come with "15 alloys now, but would not want to pay another 1500.00 for this if i can get the "16 in the sport package.

btw, enjoy that Boxster, if i allready had a 3, it would be my choice also.

regards, Don
    Hi Folks,

Well, today was the day - I drove off in my Satin Silver 3.2TL at dealer invoice cost (thanks to carsdirect). With moonroof deflector, mudguards, and floor mats, my cost was $25,646 - I'm still in shock. :-)

So, to all who were interested in knowing whether this deal was for real, it was. They contributed $2,857 towards my down payment.

I realize they are no longer running this special, but I hope at least that my postings, as well as universal's, frankrizzo's, and others helped shed enough positive outlook on this deal for some of you to take the plunge. It truly is a remarkable deal.

Best of luck,
    Sandman
    Hi Folks,

Well, today was the day - I drove off in my Satin Silver Acura 3.2TL at dealer invoice cost (thanks to carsdirect). With moonroof deflector, mudguards, and floor mats, my cost was $25,646 - I'm still in shock. :-)

So, to all who were interested in knowing whether
    this deal was for real, it was. They contributed
    $2,857 towards my down payment.

I realize they are no longer running this special,
    but I hope at least that my postings, as well as
    universal's, frankrizzo's, and others helped shed
    enough positive outlook on this deal for some of
    you to take the plunge. It truly is a remarkable
    deal.

Best of luck,
    Sandman
  • tksungtksung Member Posts: 34
    If you live in California, carorder.com offers similar deal. Their price is still at invoice, so check it out. this company is backed by Trilogy, which is behind sites like pcorder.com.

good luck.
  • rchuangrchuang Member Posts: 5
    Could you please give us an update on your efforts to buy a Porsche Boxster using CarsDirect? Were you able to get a Boxster at invoice price? If so, I'm amazed. In most places the car is still hard to get and I think most dealers are still getting sticker, if not more.

Thanks for your input. It would be very helpful.
    I've been out of town for a few days (business trip to Dallas), but managed to steal some time yesterday and call Todd. He told me that I was 4th in line for him yesterday, and that I should call him back at 6 PM Central. (Only problem was I was on a plane at that time). So, I assume that the deal happened. Todd told me that he had a stack that had to be done this week, and that was the stack that I was in. (I assume that this is probably the stack of folks who got in on the introductory offer).

Now, as for finding deals on Boxsters, it IS possible! I found $3766 off in PA, $3000 off in Phoenix, $2500 off in Fort Wayne, and some city in Missouri that I can't remember, $1500 in a BUNCH of places, and even a few places offering the token $1000 off. You just have to shop. What I have seen is that the larger cities have enough idiots willing to pay whatever the price, so the dealers sell all they can get, and have presold everything for 4-6 months ahead of time. This was the case in Dallas. I visited 2 dealerships, neither had a new Boxster on the lot, both wanted MSRP for all ordered units, and they had a 4-6 month wait. (They also knew VERY little about the cars. I was amazed! They both told me that there would be NO price increase for the Y2K models, and the guy at Park Place even tried to tell me that Porsche hadn't really decided to make the Boxster S yet.)

So, shop around! I'm in Tennessee and found my deal in Pennsylvania, and as I said above, I was dealing with a dealer in Phoenix, so you have to be flexible to get a really good deal, but I think that there are OK deals to be had locally. (If you aren't in a big town that is).