Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion Maintenance and Repair

ned412ned412 Member Posts: 16
I have a 01 Ex with the 5.4 engine. The truck only has 1300 miles on it but have a few small problems. Main one is the cruise control. I'll have it set at 35 (so I don't get a ticket) and sometimes it will just surge ahead. another minor thing is the rear passenger door will pop open just a bit and the dash light will tell you the door is ajar. Then when you stop at a light the interior lights come on.

I haven't had it back to the dealer yet, I'm waiting for the 3K oil change. Any suggestions?

Comments

• theriddlertheriddler Member Posts: 7
    I have a similar problem but I noticed it a 70 mph. I'm pretty sure it is the same problem. I've had mine back to the dealer about a month ago. I saw somewhere before I took it to the dealer that there is service bulletin on that problem I can't remember the # but your dealer should be able to help you. Anyways when I took it to the dealer he told me Ford didn't have a fix yet but they where suppose to have one by the end of the year, so check with your dealer. As far as your rear door it sounds like a simple door adjustment to me. I'm sure the dealer can fix it when you go in about the cruise. Good luck!
  • ned412ned412 Member Posts: 16
    No fix till the end of the year? I wonder what they would say if I didn't pay them until they come up with a fix?

In all fairness though, I'll see what happens when I take it in. Probably not till Feb. Thanx for the info. And as for the rear door, I think your right. I'm sure it's something simple.

Ned..... :-)
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone had this clunk under the floor boards resolved? This is a recurrent problem on my 2000 4wd Excursion. Any new ideas would be helpful. The dealer has replaced the sway bar end link on drivers side, replaced the bolt on cab mount under drivers feet and tightened up the whole front suspension and any other bolt.
  • thebrewguythebrewguy Member Posts: 5
    My dealer is stumped over this as well. I have a 2000 Limited with the V10 engine, 2-wheel drive. Perfect performance so far (57K miles) without any problems. The clunking sound occasionally resonates from the passenger side floor board. When I hear it, it happens shortly after startup and sometimes while backing from a parking space (or two). While it is a concern, it hasn't become a problem and there are no other symptoms.

Have any other owners noticed this? Thanks.
  • drtvmandrtvman Member Posts: 2
    What has been the outcome of the driver seat thing? I have a 2000, and the seat is angled to the right.

Would someone please let me know what we might
    be able to do.

Thanks...
  • drtvmandrtvman Member Posts: 2
    What are other owners doing to improve performance? Is there a chip replacement that will allow the vehicle to exceed 95?

I spoke with the local muffler shop regarding dual exaust system. They say that that would screw up all the sensors and the engine would'nt perform right.

Anybody got any ideas?
  • jdadamsjrjdadamsjr Member Posts: 16
    Take it to another shop !
    That one doesn't know what he's talking about...
    Duals are put on vehicles EVERY day.
  • sirlezsirlez Member Posts: 1
    If you're looking for more engine power without the extra fuel consumption you can check out www.kennebell.net and www.bankspower.com. I have a twin-screw supercharger on my V10 which is a godsend for my right foot. I have left many Escalades and Navigators standing at the lights and can even out-run a V6 Honda. This thing goes through freeway traffic like a hot knife through butter - every car gets out of my way when I speed up on them. It's a real shame Ford is discontinuing the vehicle. Many loyal fans will miss the exclusive appeal this thing has. There ARE people who need this SUV! I really hope Ford will reconsider their decision once the frantic rush to get the last few models hits their heads. KEEP THE EXCURSION ALIVE!!!!!!!
  • theriddlertheriddler Member Posts: 7
    I just read an artical in the may issue of "Ford Truck World" magazine about increaceing HP & torgue in a V-10. It went through the step by step procedure of installing a complete exhaust system with headers from Banks. It also showed installing a Banks OttoMind computer module and a Banks Ram-Air air cleaner. The initial run ,before any mods, showed 192.7 hp and 270.7 lbs.-ft. of torque. After all mods it was 255.5hp with351.4lbs.-ft. of torque. Also gas millage increased from 10.9mpg to 12.3mpg. The total cost of the kit was $2,050 plus installation. Sounds a little high price but I think if you read the artical the say to buy each of these systems sperately from any aftermarket it would probly come out about the same. I would love to install this kit on my beast but right now I have a 18 year old son getting ready to go off to collage so I need to be a little more conservative with my funds. You can reach the magazine on the internet at www.fordtruckworld.com. I just stumbled across this mag last month. It has a lot of good articles on Ford trucks.
  • wpriestwpriest Member Posts: 1
    Hi--I'm lookingf at moving from an Expedition to an X. We have a 30' trailer that the Exped doesn't pull very well. I was thinking of a diesel but I recently got a message from a dealer that there were problems with the 6.0 in terms of getting parts and "they have been having some problems with that new engine" (quote).

Anyone out there with a 6.0 PSD that can either back or refute this info?

I've owned/driven Fords going back to my dad's '57 Fairlane and '58 Edsel Corsair (wish I had them now). I'd like to stay with Ford (I have an '03 Ranger 4x4 that pulls a UHaul 6x12 trailer as well as my wife's '00 Expedition.

Thanks
  • rlsmith2212rlsmith2212 Member Posts: 3
    My new 2003 Excursion seems to lacking in the brake department. Poor stopping ability and mushy pedal. Pedal can be depressed to at or below accelerator pedal. On two occasions at less than 5 MPH on an incline I did push on the accelerator while pressing on the brake pedal. This dangerous. Anyone else have this problem??
    Thanks, Richard
  • quickfordsquickfords Member Posts: 18
    Ok Excursion people, now that I have your attention with the subject, here the story:
    Since new I have been plagued with this clunk or banging under the drivers floorboard. The dealer replaced the swaybar links, no fix. I have been under this thing many times hitting parts with sledge hammer (carefully though!) and a rubber mallet trying to figure what is that damn clunk! I even tightened the body mount under the pedals. Finally, Saturday I was determined to take another look around underneath. I saw a difference in the way the rubber mounts looked from left to right. It looked the the orange paint had been peeling off the left side due to excessive flexing. I removed the bolt, wire brushed it, lubed it with anti-sieze compound, put a large lock washer (the only large spacer I had- a flat washer or two would work fine) with a thickness of about 4mm- 5mm, I jacked up the body and inserted a foam pad to help insulate it. I then reassembled it and torqued the sh...oops the heck out of the bolt. It has been two days and it seems to be gone!!!!
    I cannot tell you how HAPPY I am that it is finally gone.
    I wonder if I should package these items and sell them to Ford as a repair kit?
    Perhaps the body is not even? Perhaps that mount is not up to specs? Perhaps the perch was welded in the wrong position? What ever Ford did, I believe it is finally fixed.
    Good luck to all those still experiencing this headache.
    Saul.
  • 390gt390gt Member Posts: 17
    I too have found that the culprit was the cab mount. I've replaced the lower insulator and bolt twice in 70K miles. The original I over torqued and actually stripped the threads in the lower insulator. Ford also fixed it once at 36K miles and put an extra spacer between the body and upper insulator. I believe the torque spec is 80 ft lbs. I hope the last fix will last. Glad you finally got this resolved.
  • rscott6rscott6 Member Posts: 20
    This Question is for JOGIBA or anyone with a 6.0.
    At 70 MPH, what does your Tach read? Just wanted
    to know with the 5 speed vs. 4 speed auto. trans.
    Thanks.
  • dfcdfc Member Posts: 2
    Have an '03 4x4, never tow, at 26,ooo had 'warped rotors' which were resurfaced. Again at 33,000 were again warped and the dealer replaced them this time . Dealer suggested it was due to my driving and they would not replace or fix them again (on warranty). Am I the only guy with this problem? Otherwise like the truck but want to find a good mechanic outside the Ford dealer because that comment pissed me off.
  • tasillotasillo Member Posts: 51
    My '02 4x4 V-10 also had warped rotors at 27k. I lived with it until the next service ;last week at 30k. The dealer machined all 4 rotors and said the pads were fine. I questioned the practice of machining the rotors and not at least scuffing up the existing pads to break the glaze of the surface. The dealer said not necessary (I know better). Nice and smooth now, braking power seems about as before (not much). I'm holding out until the end of warranty in 6k more miles to see if they warp again.

Also, the manual states transmission fluid replacemnt at 30K. I requested the dealer drop the pan and replace the filter as well, instead what I got was the "Power Flush" using the trans cooler lines. This makes me nervous as any particles trapped in the filter either stayed there or are now circulating in the tranny if they didn't come out in the flushing process. Am I being paranoid???

Other than that, at 30k, no complaints!
  • driveabeastdriveabeast Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 4x4 6.0L Limited. The brakes started to warp in approximately 8,000 miles and I have had the rotors turned by a Ford dealership twice under warranty (after 12-15,000 miles each time). I went to three Dealerships and the first two said the rotors weren't covered, but a third covered them after I continued to discuss the issue with several of their advisors. They said they would cover the warped rotors under warranty, if the pads still had plenty of wear left on them.

Ford recommends that the rotors be turned on the vehicle, their brake lathe attaches to the caliber mounts.

I have also discussed this problem with an employee of a wholesale brake supply shop after I turned my rotors the first time. He happen to personally have an Excursion and was working with a couple other Excursion owners. They all had just replaced their rotors with an aftermarket rotor. There are high performance rotors such as the type with holes in them or the ones with slots on them. At his shop, they only carried the rotors with slots. I checked back with him recently after they have placed 10,000 or more miles on each vehicle. He reported that they were all very satisfied with the aftermarket rotors and that the Chief of a local Fire Department had just purchased some for each of his Excursion at his Department.

I also understand that Ford has made a number of improvements with their 2005 Ford Super Duty Trucks, including larger rotors and disc brakes. They have also improved the design and/or size of the frame, the leaf springs, suspension and steering to name a few.

I hope for new 2005 Excursion purchasers that the same changes were made to the Excursion!
  • agoodwinagoodwin Member Posts: 16
    I mentioned back a while about doing Cryogenics to my brake rotors. Excursion Owners site. I have done the process to bran new rotors from Ford and and had them installed just a few days ago. It seems that the more I drive them the better they get. Mabey It's my imagination, Mabey not? If they don't warp that will be the biggest test. The place that did my Croy-process (Cry-con) Offered to do the process for free. That is a straight up good person!! ($250.00) I'll will provide the service receipts from previous Excursions that I have had and they will start building a data base for the Excursions and see if the brakes start acting up again. I think this will solve the brake problem. I wonder if the F350's & F250's have had the same warping problem? I'll would be willing to bet on it. Gas mileage on the new Excursion V-10 (10.0 to the mile) with 4.30's ratio. Not as good as the 3.73's ratio (12.0 to the mile). But the thing has less than 3000 miles on it and still needs to break in a little more. Best one I have had yet. 2004, Eddie Bauer Package, White with Tan trim,all the options,rear sensor is very useful if you have a trailer and no one to guide you back, K&N cold air intake, BFG's & the coolest most useful thing is the preset adjustable peddles and seat position. I love it because my wife is short and I'm tall. So you get the picture. That's all for now.
                        C/ya Later Andrew
  • dfcdfc Member Posts: 2
    Help!! I've never towed or abused my 03 Excursion but had rotors turned at ~ 27,000 then had them replacd at 33,000...now with ~36,700 miles the rotors needed replaced again. Ford service told me they would not replace them under warranty (say I have driven the vehicle in such a manner to the void any warranty). Any advice out there to get ford to admit to a break problem on these vehicles??? Thanks.
    Dear dfc:

Tell your Ford Service that the Brakes are not your problem. The problem is Ford put brakes on a 7200 Lb. vehicle, that are for a 1/2 ton truck. That is just my opinion. That's a lot of weight to be stopping and starting all the time. This causes the rotors to heat up and cool down and heat up and cool down. This is a uncontrolled annealing process which causes the rotors to warp. Some times you stop and the part of the rotor that is exposed to the open air rather than in the caliper, cools faster than the enclosed part of it remaining in the caliper. Uneven cooling the rotor starts it to become out of shape. When you Cyro them it takes the stress out of the rotor in a controlled environment. My brakes have never worked this good ever. This is my 3rd Excursion. Every Excursion had break problems I have owned. I don't think your the only one. By the way Ford has been advertising better breaking and 355 Hp on the V-10 Wonder where they got 55 HP's from and why did they address the breaks on the F-series Trucks if there was not an issue?

C/ya Later Andrew
  • gwisdellagwisdella Member Posts: 1
    I had a simular problem in a old Lincoln Town car and I spent alot of money on this problem until I found out what it was. If you have suspension parts that have to be torqued down, this could be the problem. If you have urathane bushings which I did have, in time they might have to be torqued down again. If you look at your passenger side--the back bushing of arm suspension, I believe it needs to be torque up. My old town car was at 400 lb of torque. Good luck!
  • n3qdzn3qdz Member Posts: 1
    I have a V10 with the standard 3.73 rear. Comming to find out that the 3.73 rear towing capacity is 9600lbs. The 4.30 will tow 11.000lbs. We are buying a travel trailer it should be around 10.500lbs.That won't work! I am thinking about changing the gears from 3.73 to 4.30. I am worried about even if it is rated (4.30) for 11.000lbs is it going to be too much for the V10. If anyone has had to do this or know anyone who has had to do this I would like to know. Looking forward to your posts
  • aimnhyraimnhyr Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to find out the door codes? I was told the dealer needs $100. to connect to computer to reset the numbers.
  • expatexpat Member Posts: 1
    well well . It sucks I'm not the only one, I Have a ford Excursion (2000) With rotor problems @33.000 miles ,I had them changed Ford said it was my driving . I do trailer a lot so I let it go . But now @ 59.000 I had them done again At firestone and they completely messed it up . I now have shudder, squeeky and excessive dust. It also pulls to the left and right intermitenly. What the hell is going on .
  • bruteforcebruteforce Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Excursion 7.3L w/ 80000 miles and no rotor probs but I have to work at it. I was told to insure the lug nuts are always torqued to 165 lbs. EVERY time I've had work done that involves the tires I loosen all the lug nuts and torque them myself to EXACTLY 165 ft lbs and no rotor problems. I tow heavy trailers and drive frequently in the mountains with horrible grades. No, I can't explain it but it does seem to work.
  • fedupfordownerfedupfordowner Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 EXCURSION, V10, 4X4, 4:30 GEARS W/LIMITED SLIP, AT ABOUT 20-30 MPH I NOTICE "WHINING NOISE", ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE FUEL PUMP THAT STAYS ON, NOISE DOESN'T GET LOUDER AS SPEED INCREASE'S REMAINS ABOUT SAME,......DRIVING ME NUTS, HELP
  • tthellerttheller Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Excursion.Only 24,000 miles.Is now back at the dealer for the third time to replace brains of power lock system.They keep replacing brain but it still never works right.Sometimes work when you least expect it.Now has affected other areas...power points, instrument cluster, auto headlights.Anyone else have these types of problems?
  • marilyn4marilyn4 Member Posts: 1
    Andrew, can you tell me where I can get this "Cyro" process done to my rotors? I've never heard of this but am desperate to try something. Do you know how long the rotors will last without warping with this process? I have been replacing rotors and pads on my 2000 Excursion every 2-3 months. They actually begin to warp after 4 weeks with either new rotors or having the rotors turned, the pulsation then turns into a heavy vibration after about 8 weeks. Does anyone know if Ford has paid out on any claims on what appears to be a mechanical design flaw with the break sytems on the Excursions? Does any know if FORD re-designed or re-engineered the breaking system on the newer excursions? I appreciate any input/advice, I love my excurison but at my the end of my rope with having rotors serviced and/or replaced every 2-3 months.
    Thanks! Marilyn
    Well, another Excursion with braking problems, imagine that? marilyn4 I offer a set of rotors that have been treated. These are stock replacements from Ford. If you are interested and want more information on the process and the rotors please give me a e-mail at apgproducts@aol.com I'll be glad to help you out the best I can because it really sucks when your brakes don't work very well. C/ya later Andrew
  • blackxblackx Member Posts: 2
    hello
    can anyone tell me where the vin is on the frame on a 2001 excursion.
  • almajikalmajik Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody from ny state had any problems with the new OBD emissions test??
    i own a 2001 excursion ltd with the V10 with veh. weight on reg. as 6972 lbs from ford and now with the new inspection test it would not pass due to incorrect weight.i had to get an exception and test was done with old machine.any body else with this prob?? looking to avoid problem next year. thanx
  • liverdonorliverdonor Member Posts: 2
    Hello, all - new member here.

Have a 2001 Dsl Ltd 4x4. Had the 45k service done at end of March - noticed some stiffness when shifting that I hadn't seen before, but didn't think too much about it since it didn't seem to affect performance.

Went on extended road trip last week, drove from Seattle to Bozeman, MT and back. Upon return, first gear died in tranny and 2-3 shift sometimes doesn't work either. Dealer says, "checking w/ext. warranty co." to make sure whether it's covered or not.

I was very surprised by this development; but then, my last Ford was a '65 F250 2x4 long-bed automatic that I drove until it literally rusted apart (about 300k miles). With regular service, it never had any problems. None. Most reliable vehicle I've ever had, and I've owned a few (including Mercy's and Beamers and other supposedly "high-end" cars). Up 'til now, I there had been no problems with the X so I figured I was doing OK.

Recent surfing revealed a rumor that some of the earlier X's (maybe 20%) have had serious tranny problems at or before 40k. Anyone had similar experience, or is this just more baseless noise?

cheers all
    ~ld
  • cliff4cliff4 Member Posts: 1
    LD

Wow, how glad to see you have the same thing that I just out my Excursion in the shop for yesterday. I love my Excursion, no big problems till resently.

Same thing...service is always done well in advance and above recommendations. My rig is an 01 dsl 4x4 lmt. with 67,000 miles. About 15,00 or so I started to notice a higher rpm when driving have a fultter or hesitation. Took it to the shop and they replaced a sensor on the engine which help the futter....Now my tranny needs to be replaced beacuse it is slipping at 2-3 gear point. What's funny I am in Seattle as well maybe it's just our area.

What are you doing to fix yours? I am getting a rebult installed at the tune of about $3,000....

On a side note...what knd or fuel milage are you getting with yours? I get right at 14.7 gpm
  • liverdonorliverdonor Member Posts: 2
    cliff4:

Very interesting - thanks for your response.

I am now very very glad I did something I usually don't do, namely, bought the extended warranty when I bought the car. In short: dealer (Harris Ford in Lynnwood - can I say that?) is replacing entire unit with a new 4R100-B transmission unit. Warranty covers everything except the trans fluid inline filter that Harris says they have to install; after hearing about how flushing the line may not get out all the bits of metal from the exploding clutch plates, I'm cool with that - you should make sure your mechanic does the same thing.

In short, out of pocket: $500 deductible plus maybe $200 for the filter, other ancillary parts and excess labor. Considering the ext. warranty cost me about $1500 at purchase time, it has definitely paid for itself with this one.

The flutter you mention - I had that @ appx 1400-1500 rpm also, but it sort-of went away on its own, so didn't think more about it.

Just before my transmission exploded, I was getting about 18 mpg freeway and 14-15 mpg combined mileage.

And I am highly annoyed with how expensive diesel is in this state!! Prices in Montana for #2 are about $2.45/gal and here they're almost $3/gal. Any conditions that cause diesel to be more expensive than premium gas are either very fishy or just plain wrong, IMHO.

Good luck with your X, hope the repair goes well.

cheers
    ~sam
  • blackxblackx Member Posts: 2
    hello

i have a 2001 excursion
    the backup sensor goes to off each time i put it in revers.
    and i can not get it to work when i push the bottom.
    any help on this?
    morten(norway)
    thanks for any help
    hey folks! It's been a while since I have been on here, I guess that is good news- huh- since we mostly use this for problem identification.
    I just turned 60,000 miles on my 2000 Ex. Limited, V10, 4wd. The back brakes finally needed replacing. In search of something better, I found NAPA carries a Cermic composite material pad. It should provide better braking, less heat and MUCH less (little to no) dust. They were not cheap at $69 a set, but are complete with hardware which is a plus. I figured I would replace the front pads, even though they still looked great. The front pads had been replaced several times along with rotors (warped) at 12k, 24k and 33k miles- but have been fine since. When replacing the front pads I was SHOCKED to find the passenger side caliper slide pins was RUSTED and frozen. I am not sure, but I would suspect when the dealer serviced the brakes, they neglected to grease the pins. It is all together today and stops great. Probably a combination of better pads and fully working front brakes! I still have a noise underneath (I was hoping the frozen caliper was the culprit) so further investigation is needed. When I apply the brakes, I still get a small *clunk* noise. I think it may be the rear driveshaft slip-joint. It seems to have play in it. It does not have a zerk fitting for lubrication, so dropping the whole shaft is my only option. Not good or fun.
    On a better note, I did install Sirius satellite radio! I hardly use the CD player anymore as there is always something great to listen to. I bought the Streamer GT model and can take it from car to car to home, where ever.
    I am also looking into getting a clear bug deflector. I had a smoke colored one, but I didn't like it on the white truck.
    Other than this brief update, everything else is doing well.
    OH CRAP!!!!!
    I found the *clunk* culprit. Ok, the inspection station found the problem. As I mentioned, the truck is a 2000 with only 60,300 miles. As it turns out it needs FOUR ball joints!! :sick: YIKES. At first, my heart stopped realizing that replacing four ball joints just might be a $800 job. Sure, I do all my own work, but replacing these is a major :mad: PITA. Luckily, I did buy the ESP with this and they are covered!! YEAH. Now, I made an appointment at the dealer to get those done, the right rear door lock actuator replaced and the rear driveshaft checked. The moral is, buy the extended warranty folks if you plan on keeping the truck.
    I was leary when I did, however I knew this would be last Excursion I would buy. Even if you sell or trade your vehicle in, you may be eligible to get a pro-rated refund. I did receive a refund when we traded in our Explorer.
    Next update......??????
  • fordflyfordfly Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am writing for my hubby, he was driving along had some problems, took the 2000 dsl, 4x4, excursion into the shop.

$4000 later, apparently we have a broken front axle assembly on the left side???? Bearings went bad, tore the housing, and broke a "pumpkin"???

All I know is this is exstreamly out of sorts to happen. He drove the truck 150miles back to the shop. The dealer ship thought this is weird, and 2 mechanic friends, think is weird.

Has anyone heard of this?? Should this happen?
  • flyfisher2flyfisher2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 for excursion and when the vehicle is off but the key is on the ON position the odometer will start to roll I have sat here for ten minutes and it has put 40 miles on any suggestions?
    Fordfly:
    Do you rock climb your vehicle? This sounds weird also. That is a Dana 60 front axle and is very strong. Something catistrofic must have happen. If you haven't been abusing or maintaining it. Personaly I would question the problem. My Excursion did a crazy thing with only 8500 miles (Eddie Bauer, V-10, 4X4) My AC completely leeked out of the system. The dealership checked out for leekes, with no indication of any bad connections or holes in the lines. So they refilled the system and it seems to work just fine as before??????? As for the brake rotors the Cryogentics Company that I deal with are not very timely with delivering a processed set of rotors. So with that said. My Company will not be offering them for replacemment. My reputation is on the line. I don't want to be unrealible because of them. Don't get me wrong their Cryo Process is very good. But the service takes forever.
    Here is a web site to check out http://www.frozenrotors.com. This is not the place that did mine. But it looked pretty good to me if you want Cryo Rotors. Sounds as if I better buy the extended warentee for the 04 Excursion (Full coverage) One thing after another. But it could be worse if it was a GM product Ha Ha good stuff right?
    C/Ya Later Andrew
  • fordflyfordfly Member Posts: 2
    goodwin,
    To answer your question, no we do not rock climb. This Large vehicle is mainly used for hauling our 2 teenage boys w/ friends & 2 German Shepards to hour Vacation property about 150 miles away. We do pull a 22ft deck boat and or 2 Sea Doos, up a very bumpy hill. But that is about it. This vehicle is perfect for the job. We slowly 4x4 up the bumpy hill pulling the boat, less then 1/8 of mile (or less then 1/4) not sure, but what ever. This 4x4 is a family boat pulling car. That is about it.

The Ford is still in the shop, waiting parts. Hubby is going to take all the broken parts to show. We think we should contact Ford about this. Any suggestions??

driving me crazy!!!
  • gduggergdugger Member Posts: 1
    I have a diesel 2000 Excursion that only blows air from the defrost vents under the windshield no matter what I select. I can turn it off and control the temp but not where the air comes from. A call to the local Ford shop seems to indicate they will have to trouble shoot the system for a couple of hours. That sounds unreasonable. The diagnosis should be easy for someone that knows the system. Any ideas or help out there? Anyone have the same problem? Thanks
  • candlecoynecandlecoyne Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ex Limited and have had the same problem...it has been back 3 times and still doesn't work right. You can never tell when it will act up, it can be fine for a while and then back again. I also have peeling paint and plan on taking legal action against Ford.
  • max99max99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Exc. diesel--lots of miles, but excellent condition.
    Two days ago and for no apparent reason, the tail lights blows the fuse in the box under the hood. brake lights, turn signals, flashers still work.
    No damaged wiring, no trailers hooked up, nothing.
    does anyone have any suggestions other that 8 hours at a dealer?
  • smbrookssmbrooks Member Posts: 1
    I'm running 4.30 in my 2000 Ex 4x4. The V10 will handle 11,000 lbs. If you are pulling the full amount in hot weather you might consider the upgraded transmission cooler. Your tranny will have more trouble with the weight than the engine. But, I've pulled 11k lbs through the mountains. If you aren't in a big hurry, it's no problem. Towing I get about 8mpg. The quality of your hitch will make a big difference as well. Happy towing. :)
  • bennie3737bennie3737 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 Excursion Diesel 4X4. I have had brake problems since brand new. Right now my rotors are warped and I would like to know the best way to treat this problem. Under warranty Ford repaired my front brakes four (4) times and I am still having problems and now they are out of warranty. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Bennie
  • tenapstertenapster Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all,

I bought my 2000 Excursion (6.8L Limited) used in 2003, and have driven about 40K trouble free miles...but in the past six months the following problems have come up one after the other:
    1) door ajar light/bell sounds randomly during heavy rain...all doors closed tight...re-closing any/all doors repeatedly usually gets this to subside
    2) backup sensor remains 'off' at all times, dealer says computer indicates left/center sensor is bad
    3) all door lock actuators except driver's door have failed - I'm running laps around this thing to let my kids in the other side!
    4) auto-locking 4WD has failed - immediately after a 5 hour drive in 4WD during a snowstorm - smelled a bit of that old 'burning clutch' smell - only way into 4WD now is manually locking the hubs and turning switch to 4x4 (I'm guessing vacuum failure?)
    5) and finally, just this week...when turning the steering wheel in either direction (stopped/idling) there is a loud non-metalic-rubber 'brrrrr' sound - only while actually turning the wheel - almost sounds like something metal pressing/turning against something made of rubber. If you turn the steering wheel slowly the
    'brrrrr' is lower in pitch, turn faster and it's higher in pitch...I do know this is not the usual powersteering pump noise, which is still present and still sounds quite normal...it's something in the steering linkage I'm guessing...

So - any ideas for the above? I'm pretty handy so can follow suggestions well -I'm afraid these problems are looking like a couple thousand $ in dealer shop time and bits-n-pieces...

Thanks in advance!

TENapster
  • drnauticadrnautica Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my '02 Excursion. It started about two months ago. I've replaced sensors in the past due to the alarm going off for no reason but this is a different problem. The "OFF" light illuminates each time the transmission is shifted into reverse and will not work even if the OFF button is pushed.

Anyone know what's up?
  • cf_kochcf_koch Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2000 Excursion with 33,000 miles on it. My truck has recently started to wear the left front tire and the diagnosis is that I have bad ball joints. I find this to be very unusual to have ball joints fail on a vehicle with such low milage. Is this normal on these vehicles?

My door ajar light and all the lights in the truck will not go off. Does anybody have a solution to this problem.
  • socalxboxsocalxbox Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I own a 6.0psd 4x2 2003 Excursion with 36k on it. I took it in for leaking oil on driveway. Well come to find out according to the dealer, due to the lift kit the transmission cooolent lines are stretched out, and mixing with radiator coolant and contaminated the transmission fluid. According to the dealer there is no way to flush it out. Only option is rebuilt or new transmission. Has anyone else had such problems? Dont know weather to trust the Dealer.