Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    Steve,
    check post #2071........
  • sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    No parents with car seats in their XC 90?

I'm one booster seat away from exiting that phase of my life, sorry! ;-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wonder if Jonjon221 noticed all those posted the day before his message?

Steve, Host
  • becky2010becky2010 Member Posts: 8
    We put two slender booster seats in the third row for a pre-school field trip. i'm not sure you could get any of the bigger car seats in (like the Britax) very comfortably. As it was, there was very little room for the kids legs with the boosters seats. But it worked! And it was safe. So I'm not complaining.
  • roweerowee Member Posts: 21
    here in the continent XC90 consumers stay away from the T6 ; who is foolish enough to pay $45K and get a car with a great engine but a lousy 4 gear tranny. we are not aware of any faults with the T5 transmission-although we consider that version of the XC90 to be sluggish. cant get it all, I guess.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    I have been looking at this sight for a while and comparing it to the new cadillac cts. I am a bit leery of the xc90 as I do not see reliability. The cts has far fewer problems than the xc. I think if you have a problem you must hold the dealers feet to the fire so that eventually we can get a better volvo. If you look at the nhts institute you will see that gm's problems are less and less expensive. I love the safety of the xc but I am not convinced that the reliability is their. I keep my cars a long time. My gm 1500 truck has had only 1 problem that is not routine. I the ac went out 94k miles and it cost me 400 to get it fixed. My malibu had a new strut and two new brake rotors under warranty. Otherwise it has had only 1 problem out of warranty, the ac switch goes in and out so I push on the dash to get it to turn on once in a while. 75k miles. My cts had to have a clock replaced under warranty and otherwise no problems. Do not back down from the dealer until your problems are addressed. Also file a complaint with nhts institute. If you look at the cts discussion you will see the addresses for the complaints. I am really considering the xc but long term reliability is a real concern.
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    My FWD has started to make knock sound when I let off the accelerator or lightly press the accelerator . Sounds like a clutch kicking in or out . Is this the problem others have experienced , and if so what was done to fix it ? I only have 3400 miles on it , it goes in the shop this week .
  • luv6717luv6717 Member Posts: 7
    My new 2004 XC90 just arrived! 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Oak Interior, Premium/Climate Packages, 17" Standard Wheels, and DVD Navigation System! I'm enjoying owning and driving around in my new Volvo. It was definitely well worth the wait! (ordered in May) I'm still getting acquainted with the car, but so far I have not found anything specific to comment on, as I am still breaking it in. So, this will add to the hopefully many more ENCOURAGING OR POSITIVE discussions. All questions welcome.
  • volvotexvolvotex Member Posts: 8
    I found my first problem (minor) and made a new discovery over the weekend. Maybe I didn't read the storage section of the manual well, but I found out (actually my wife noticed) that there are map pockets on the front edge of the front seats (at least the leather seats).

My problem is that the 3rd row light reading lights both switch on or off with either button. They are both on or both off.....all in all not much of a problem since we won't be using the 3rd row for several years.

I thought I had a problem with the back speakers, but I think it's just something to do with the sound when using the Dolby Surround with the fader fully turned to the rear speakers. Anyone else notice something like that when sitting in their garage listening to the stereo cranked up to high volumes? It seemed like it was messed up, but after further review, it might have just been an issue with the cd. I still think its a great stereo, and it's more fun to listen to than my home system.
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Congrats Geraldine!

Surprised my wife with a Crystal green 2.5T AWD with Premium, Versatility, Climate Packages, Premium Sound, Bi-Xenon, 18" Atlantis Wheels, and Reverse warning sensors.

No defects noted on delivery. The car handles great for such a large and heavy vehicle. The 2.5T provides more than adequate acceleration for around the town and highway merging (although we're still breaking the engine in).

I'll keep the forum upto date with our experience.

George
  • cal1948cal1948 Member Posts: 10
    I posted an earlier message about this and thought I'd give an update. Has anyone else with the 18" wheels and Michelin Pilot tires noticed that the tires are stamped with a recommended maximum inflation pressure of 35 psi but the recommended tire pressure (marked on the fuel door) for a fully loaded XC90 is 39 psi?

I asked my dealer about it and they said Volvo knew about the discrepancy and would "correct" it soon. He didn't know what type of corrective action would be taken but he said the problem was that Michelin had stamped the tire incorrectly. That was about two months ago and I haven't heard any more since. I tried contacting Volvo and Michelin directly and received replies saying they would check into it and get back to me but I haven't heard anymore from either of them.

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to this issue. Given the recent lawsuits with Ford and Firestone over tire pressures for the Explorer, I can't believe Volvo or Michelin would want to have this discrepancy left open for so long.

Does any one have more information?

Thanks.
  • triceratops5triceratops5 Member Posts: 16
    About 2 years ago, there were a number of stories about Volvo cars with rear batteries experiencing high electromagnetic fields in the passenger compartment (at least compared to other cars). Does anyone know if Volvo addressed this issue with the XC90? At the time (2001), they seemed to indicate that they would have a fix in a few months, but I'm not sure what became of it. In the scheme of things, the absolute magnitude of the fields was relatively low, but seems like less is better than more in this case.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    You're right...this is an interesting topic at least to me.

The Michelin website does not post the max PSI numbers but Tirerack.com does:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pi- lot+HX+MXM4

It does indeed show a very low max of 35 psi for this size Pilot MXM4 and for other sizes as well. And yet other sizes in the same exact tire go to 50 psi and above.

Guess what? I just checked our new RX330 with Mich MXV4s in size 235x55x18 - same 35 psi max on the sidewall!

I've never seen tires with a max psi rating this low. If you do a cold temp inflation like one is supposed to do for accuracy - and you put 31-32 lbs in - it can easily exceed 35 psi when they get hot from normal operation.

Add summertime heat, a long trip, a heavy load...could be Exploder/Cheapstones all over again.

I think the tip-off might be that both tires, Volvo and RX 18"s, are "OEM" specials - not quite as much tread depth as the after-market normal Michelin line and I think I read somewhere that they are short one ply (or "belt") compared to their more-expensive-to-build brothers.

Sad on $40-50k SUVs, eh? Especially ones that tout passenger safety as a selling feature.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the statement from Volvo regarding EMF.

tidester, host
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    VolvoTex:

While I don't pick up my T6 for a couple of months, I believe I know what you're thinking about with respect to the stereo. My wife had told me that when she would sit in the back seat of the C70 that the speakers sounded hollow. This is when the ProLogic is turned on. To remedy this, I switch the stereo option to 3 ch (3 channel, i believe) when I have people in the back. Pretty sure that option is available on the XC90 as well. It sounds just as good.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    How high is your center channel cranked up when in ProLogic setup? I have the ProLogic Surround on the S80 T6 and V70 T5 (which has a subwoofer in the cargo area to fill in the sound) and have never detected a difference in the rear seat and I suspect it is because I keep the center channel cranked near maximum sound and effect. I wouldn't be surprised to find it gets hollow in the third row of the XC90 but in a C70 (which I think has the Dynaudio speakers) this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I'll have to check on that. That is something that I have not looked into. Thanks for the additional info.
  • cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    The 2.5T is a magnificent machine. The secret to appreciate a new vehicle is waiting at least 10 years between trades. The last volvo I consistently drove was a '92 240 wagon [the xc90 was the 5th new volvo purchased - 3 for me and 2 for my wife]. Now I can look forward to a 2014 model volvo for another big kick!
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    i know what ur talkign abt, its also a turbo thing, they say to keep the caridle before u shutoff ur car and after u start it, b/c when u keep ur car idle, the turbo will last longer. The RPM drops to about 900 to 100 after about 30 secs, so if u just wiat itll will lower. One thing i dont like is teh noise of the starter, it sounds liek its barely vcatching. I have a lex in the fam also and u knwo from the sound of the starter u will not have any porblems starting this car.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Dude - use spell check!
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    had a full day of painting and was so tired, i aplogize. Question: what is ur reaction when u see another xc90?
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    "I think what reMAX63 was getting at is that some of the complaints made on this board by owners in regards to headlight switches, radio functions, visibility, etc. are things that were (or should have been) apparent at the time of test drive PRIOR to purchase. "......"To not take note of these things prior to buying and then to complain about them after purchase is odd."

This is ridiculous. One always notices things in a car after one buys it. To say one should notice everything before buying or keep quiet about it is ludicrous. You may not have a right to go into the dealer and complain but certainly it can be brought up on this board. It may be helpful to others who test drive the car and may not notice all the subtleties of the headlight switch design etc. I for one noticed the way the car drove and its basic ergonomics. I have had the car for a few months and am still learning the good and the bad about the car. It is a great car but I will continue to bring up issues I notice because it may be helpful to me and to others. I hope everyone else does the same. There is no benefit for those cheerleaders out there to imply that people shouldn't bring up issues they notice about the car as if we are dishonoring some unwritten duty to volvo.

What is the downside on a board dedicated to the xc90 in bringing up our reflections based on ongoing use of the vehicle?
    Does it somehow taint your enjoyment of the car? If so, stop reading this board and just read Volvo advertisements.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    We love our XC90 T6 awd, but the fuel economy is very disappointing In fact, our gasoline mpg is atrocious....the same as the big V8 Sequoia SUV that we traded for the Volvo. We are only getting 13 to 14 mpg avg. Is this a common problem for other XC90 T-6 owners?
    My guess is that your XC 90 is still new and that your mpg will get better as you get some miles on it. Wouldn't hurt to check your tire pressure too.

Try a Search This Discussion for "mileage" and you'll get some other mpg messages (or jump to message 1776).

Steve, Host
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Dear cheapskate7,

Your requirement (post 2110) to wait 10 years between buying new Volvos is impossible to meet !

We (in fact my wife) own a '89 240 Wagon like you did. We would like to buy a new XC90 but the damn 240 won't die ! And trading my 2001 manual Accord is not money wise. The 240 is driven carefully by my wife, maintained carefully by me (I replace the fluids, brake pads etc. by myself), has the original engine, transmission, paint ... in fact it has original everything except the brakes, muffler and electrical stuff. True, the electrical parts of this car are crappy quality, but I am an electrical engineer and I find challenging and amusing to fix it (yesterday my wife let me know that the radio and wipers sometimes stop working; if she restarts the car they will work ... like the Windows operating system !)

Our car has 14 years and 220,000 Km (137,000 miles). The body is almost perfect because I had it professionally sprayed every year with the Krown rust inhibitor (the best, believe me).

Do you want to change your trading interval recommendation to 30 years ?

If not, what you expect me to do ... to take a big hammer and break the windows ?! Or those beautiful headlights ?!
  • hesitanthesitant Member Posts: 17
    Was considering buying a Buick Rendezvous for the seating and nice features. Before the final decision, went to drive the Mercedes ML320, Volvo XC90, and the Honda Pilot.

My Edmunds research had been on the Buick. Everyone raved about their Buick and talked about no problems. But after the test drives over a very bumpy road with kids in the 2nd and 3rd rows, my family decided they liked the Volvo best (although the ride in the Buick was great--but everyone else liked the Volvo seats better and the quality of the interior materials. I was, of course, swayed by the years of knowing the Volvo reputation for safety and figured it would be a great car. After browsing through these posts, and also looking for comments about mpg, I'm now thinking maybe I don't want the 2nd year of a new vehicle.

I researched the Mercedes ML320 on Edmunds and found that it came out in 1998 and had problems until 2002. I was looking to buy a used 2002 ML320 until the ride on that bumpy road. That narrowed the choices to the Volvo, Pilot and the Buick which are new vehicles, too. Should I look again at the Acura? Do I need to go back and see if there were problems with the Buick that I didn't see in the topics I read? I do still need to read comments about the Pilot because I've only read the editors' reviews and test comments.

Anyone driven these vehicles and have comments? I don't have a lot to spend, but I want a well-built vehicle that will hold some value, carry 6 passengers safely and comfortably, and get reasonable gas mileage. I may buy or lease and I haven't decided if I will keep the vehicle for only 3 years as my family size will be diminishing by then, or do as with our last vehicle and end up keeping it for 12 years.
    The POINT is that a few of the minuscule items that are complained about are things that ONE either has a favorable or unfavorable reaction to when they first test drive a car. Some of the items that will be readily apparent (or should be if one pays any attention at all) from the first test drive. Things such as visibility, switches, steering feel, braking and handling should be among the first things one notices if they like or dislike the feedback or feel.
    It seems to me to be the same thing as to get home with a vehicle and then weeks later complain about the color.
    IF these are things that are not liked about a vehicle, then I don't understand why one would STILL buy it.
    And no, reading the posts on this board DOES NOT taint my enjoyment of my vehicle, because I made spent 18+ months thoroughly researching vehicles and test-driving them multiple times before I made my final decision. IF I had problems with my vehicle - THAT would taint my enjoyment, but after 3200 miles I am thoroughly pleased with my selection. Perhaps you should just sell yours and save yourself some hand-wringing.

Hesitant, I don't know what mpg figures you've seen, but I've been getting about 18 mpg city and 23 highway with ours. It has the 2.5 engine configuration. The T6 will be a bit more thirsty.
    To 1sttimevolvo1,

I get your point. I like my volvo but it has some features other than color that are problems. Maybe I am not the most completely perceptive person and didn't pick up on these things when I test drove the vehicle....or maybe I am just normal and have noticed a few small items that are appropriate to bring up on this board.

Please don't criticize people who bring up issues on this board. I am glad your driving experiene isn't "taint"ed but that is irrelevant to this board. The purpose isn't to make you feel good or bad about your driving experience. It is to improve it and help others. Maybe these issues will help others who are not as perceptive as you on their initial test drives. All the issues I have raised are minor but this is the appropriate place to bring them up.

That is the "POINT"
    Agreed, for the most part.

I was just responding to what max63 commented on about 2 weeks ago. It seemed that the point he was making was getting missed.

Yes, this is the perfect forum to comment on problems with one's vehicle and in order to `improve it and help others' it's also important to point out that certain `problems' could easily be remedied or identified with more attention paid to these items at the time of test driving.

If you have a positive comment about your vehicle, it's important to post that as well, as it, too, helps others who plan to purchase, make an informed selection.
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    If you want decent gas mileage, you'd best be looking at the XC90 with the 2.5T engine. Make sure its adequate for your taste - (It will not take the place of a BMW M3 !!)

We're still in our break in period and have been pleased so far. Yes the MPG on the first tank was recorded as 14 MPG (all city traffic, stop and go, with AC on all the time in 100+ temp). We'll see how much it improves past the break in period).

I would certainly consider the Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX. Depending on where you live, the market may put the MDX as the value winner when you consider that the Pilot and XC90 are both in demand with limited supply. An MDX in our area was going for 1K over invoice (not the MSRP). I doubt there is any negotiating room on the Pilot - and so you may find yourself only a few $k difference between a comparably optioned MDX and Pilot. The XC are pretty much going for MRSP or more!

Having said that, I personally like the handling of the XC better than the MDX. Yes the MDX's V6 is better and quiter(being a v6)- if you are going to be towing anything, I'd probably go with the MDX despite the tow ratings of the XC90. The XC's 2.5T is no slouch though, and is a proven engine in the Volvo lineup. I also wanted the safety features of the XC90 (granted most are yet unproven in the real world).

Neither vehicle is perfect - both have ergonomic flaws (yes Honda can goof once in while too) or features missing. One example - why does Honda insist on leaving the moonroof control on the left side of the dashboard??? Its the same control that exist up and down there entire linieup - why can't you put it up by the roof? As for the XC, there is no Auto lock feature - that should be considered a safety feature, and I'm surprised its missing.

Bottom line ... It boils down to personal preference.

We never considered the Buick - can't stand the look.

Good look with your decision.

George
    Dont be so sure about the handling of the BMW. Consumer reports said it was poor. The most bang for the buck is the Pilot. It seats 8, is safe, roomy and has the reliability of a honda. The MDX dresses things up but I think all the fake wood makes it look cheap. I'd take the honda over the mdx. I ended up goingfor the volvo despite all that because of the safety issues though. It probably is safer than the pilot. Overall, I think it looks more refined than the pilot... As for the cheap looking fake wood, they only have a little bit in the volvo and it doesn't look bad. I am mystified why they left wide areas of the dash in black plastic instead of wood. I bought a kit on ebay of simulated wood that looks great (not like the fakey looking stuff in the MDX) for these areas.

A sober person would probably get the Pilot. I spent about 8K more and got the volvo...what can I say.

I hope it is more reliable than volvos have traditionally been....I hedged my bets and bought an extended warrantee (another 1600 dollars!).

good luck
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    I felt after reading your post, you regretted buying your XC90. Features on a car are the first things I notice, as well as how much pick up a car has. I have no problems with you giving your feedback after driving it for awhile (even if I don't agree with your post), just came off very negative. I believe mechanical items, build quality, MPG and reliability are important items to bring up.

As far as value, a Pilot is a good choice, just not in the same class. My brother in-law pulled in from Utah recently with his new Pilot and all he could talk about was how much he liked my XC90. Looking side by side, I feel good about my purchase. The MDX is also very nice but I can count 20 of these on the road before I see an XC90, which I personally like. The other Euro SUVs lack the rear cargo space.

Just to let you know, over a 1,000 miles and average about 16.8 MPG with a 2.5T. No problems and great dealer service.
  • hesitanthesitant Member Posts: 17
    For the information of anyone else out there trying to decide between these vehicles, I called my insurance company to get the symbol number that would determine the cost of my insurance (lower is better). Here is what I learned:

2002 Mercedes ML320--rated 12
    2003 Mazda MPV--rated 8
    2004 Volvo XC90--rated 22
    2003 Buick Rendezvous--rated 18
    2003 Acura MDX--rated 18
    2003 Honda Pilot--rated 18

Maybe I should go back to checking out the Mazda MPV.

In my browsing a "read only" post, I found one where someone owned the Volvo XC90 and the Mercedes ML320. After warranty expired, they traded in the ML320 on the Honda Pilot as their 2nd vehicle. That was posted a while ago and I'd like to find that post and see if I can contact them to find out their comments after having had all three cars.
    I don't see one in the archives, but maybe this message rings a bell:

nofeer "Honda Pilot" Jul 8, 2002 7:58pm

Or maybe it was in the Honda Pilot vs Volvo XC90 discussion.

Steve, Host
  • cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    Responding to redut #2124

I had a private sale of the '92 240wgn [103K miles] in mint condition [never scratched, immaculate interior, rust free - S.Calif., and full dealer service]. Local market research allowed only $6300US for the quick sale. Interestingly, only current or past volvo owners responded to the newspaper ad.
    Yes, it was an outstanding car with many good miles ahead for the fortunate buyer. My sense of loss for an old friend, however, is responding nicely driving the xc90.
    Dont be so sure about the handling of the BMW. Consumer reports said it was poor. The most bang for the buck is the Pilot. It seats 8, is safe, roomy and has the reliability of a honda. The MDX dresses things up but I think all the fake wood makes it look cheap. I'd take the honda over the mdx. I ended up goingfor the volvo despite all that because of the safety issues though. It probably is safer than the pilot. Overall, I think it looks more refined than the pilot... As for the cheap looking fake wood, they only have a little bit in the volvo and it doesn't look bad. I am mystified why they left wide areas of the dash in black plastic instead of wood. I bought a kit on ebay of simulated wood that looks great (not like the fakey looking stuff in the MDX) for these areas.

A sober person would probably get the Pilot. I spent about 8K more and got the volvo...what can I say.

I hope it is more reliable than volvos have traditionally been....I hedged my bets and bought an extended warrantee (another 1600 dollars!).

good luck
  • smhoersmhoer Member Posts: 4
    I recently received my Ice white/light taupe XC-90 T-5 (Premium, climate, xenon, dolby stereo, navigation) and am very impressed with it. I traded in a 2001 MDX for it. To me there is no comparison. The XC-90 has better ride/handling qualities 9not to mention the stereo) and the location of the navigation is easier to use without distracting too much attention from the road. I am getting 18.6 MPG combined city/highway. The interior temp control is fantastic. It holds the temp well (unlike my MDX did). My only design complaints (so far) are lack of storage space in front and the radio display is hard to see in sunlight. I will post more as I put more mileage on it.
    smhoer,

Congrats on your purchase!

Have you noticed the map pockets on the front face of the drive and passenger seats? Those come in handy for storing small items. I didn't realize they were there until I read thru my owner's manual one night (couldn't sleep - read the entire thing cover to cover)
    Good cure for insomnia, but pertinent info as well. Learned quite abit.
    yes, I saw a note about them in an earlier post. I put all my maps there and use the door bin to hold a small plastic cup full for change.
  • fooldotcomfooldotcom Member Posts: 4
    Edmunds.com indicates in its editorial review that the XC90 comes with a DVD entertainment center individual option. However, I can find nothing else in regard to this on Edmunds or the Volvo site. Does this exist?
  • jesstjesst Member Posts: 8
    The current 2004 brochure lists the rear seat entertainment system being available late 2003 as a retailer installed option. We are continually checking with our local dealer to find out what is going on with the DVD system and they keep saying that Volvo is trying to determine the best way to do this. Due to safety reasons, they are trying to determine the best screen size so they do not obstruct the view of the rear view mirror. We have also heard that the manufacturing facility can not put in the DVD system without holding up production?! The latest news that we have heard is "don't hold your breath" on the availability of the system. Another response is that it will be available in Nov. as a dealer installed option, and this will not be a factory installed option. We questioned the warranty period for a dealer installed option, and were told that it would be 1 year only. (If it were factory installed, it would be the full 4 years.) Surprising, the Volvo web site has recently taken any mention of the Entertainment DVD system out. This was featured before on the web site.

Also, the XC90 Executive model has mentioned the DVD system will be included in the headrest instead of an overhead screen. Again, our dealership has said "don't hold your breath" on this one coming out anytime soon.
  • jesstjesst Member Posts: 8
    Since we have either the option of aluminium vs. wood inlays for the center console and a portion of the dash, wondering if anyone has had any problems with the aluminium inlays scratching. I was told the wood inlay wasn't really wood and both are protected by plastic, but concern that the aluminium could be damaged more easily. Thanks.
    Most `wood' inlays are actually plastic. Some look better than others. I believe (but am not positive) the Lexus RX300 had real birdseye maple(?) inlays, but they could have been simulated as well.
    As to the Aluminum, I can't answer in regards to the XC90 (I don't have the aluminum in mine) but I have noticed on the Nissan Murano site that some owners have had problems with the aluminum console being easily dented, specifically around the cupholders (evidently dented when missing the cupholder while replacing cup or bottle).
    the lexus es300 has wood inlays.

There are several kits for simulated wood. One is offered by volvo dealers but also by a guy on ebay. There are some posts on it. I bought it for 120 or so dollars an it looks GREAT. It doesn't look cheap likein the MDX. Again, you can find it if you search the posts.
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I am in the market to upgrade our current family hauler, being a Saab 9-5 SE Wagon, to a SUV. For me the choices are either the MDX or XC90. I noticed that the XC90 has 2 engine/transmission offerings. One being the 2.5T with a 5-speed auto. The other being the 2.9-liter turbo with a 4-speed auto. My question to those owners of the 2.5T does the engine feel underpowered when passing or climbing hills (loaded). To those owners of the T6 engine any issues, aside from fuel economy, that have made you regret not opting for the 2.5T. While I have done any research there seemed to be some concern over the reliability of the 4-speed auto transmission.

Regards,
    Chris M
    Chris,
    We own an `04 with the 2.5 5 cylinder turbo. We took a trip to Destin, Florida from Louisville, Ky. Plenty of grade changes along I-65. We had 4 people in the vehicle and was fully loaded. I didn't feel the vehicle was sluggish at all, especially when passing. The 5 speed auto tranny offered with the 2.5 seems to help.
    We have about 3200 miles on her in 2 months time and have been extremely pleased. It will get a test this November when we go to Gatlinburg. I will be curious as to how it handles the mountain grades.

I don't know what the geography is like in your area, but in my opinion, the 2.5 would be adequate, and you'd appreciate the gas mileage better than in the T6.

W
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I live in New Hampshire and we have plenty of mountains. However most of our driving will be city & rural with low grades. But we are planning on keeping the vehicle of choice for 5-6 years. This will be a departure for me as we are migrating from leasing (last 6 cars) to buying. I plan on test-driving both models within the next two weeks. But some issues only show after a longer period of time.

Regards,
    Chris
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    Took my XC90 to the dealer this week to have the clicking noise when you let of the gas checked and the vibration of the entire vehicle and especially in the steering wheel . The vibration would last 2 or 3 minutes then go away , this has happened about 6 or 7 times since delivery .
     This is what the service dept. invoice showed as the fix for each problem . As for the clicking sound , " Found both axles loose / adjusted and torqued w/Locktite per TNN .
    For the vibration problem , "Found spring for the e-brake cable weak , replaced e-brake spring ".
    So far problems seem fixed , but have only driven about 50 miles since service .
  • i_yellowi_yellow Member Posts: 30
    7milehi,
    I also have the clicking axle issue in my 2.5T and brought it into to my ever-so-inept dealer. They claim there is no service bulletin from Volvo and will not perform any repair. Please advise what "TNN" you are refering to in message 2140. Thanks.
    Has anyone tried playing a CD recorded in MP3 format in the premium sound system? I am curious whether it will handle that format due to its increased song capacity on a disc