Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    Please accept my apologies if I should post this question in another forum, but could anyone give me some idea of what might expect to get as a fair trade-in allowance if we trade-in our XC90 at the end of the summer? I know it may seem odd to trade a 2004 vehicle, but it often works out best for us rather than having to ship it back and forth between our residences when we move once a year (we have never owned a vehicle for more than two years).

What we have is:
    2004 XC90 2.5 AWD
    7-passenger
    Premium and Climate packages
    Silver finish, taupe leather, aluminum inserts
    Bi-xenons
    Navigation system
    Reverse warning system

What might that be worth to a dealer as a trade-in, with, say, 25,000 miles and in excellent overall condition?

Also, does anyone know when pricing, color, etc., information may be available on the 2005 models?

Thanks for your assistance.

David
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd try asking the pros over in Real-World Trade-In Values.

Steve, Host
  • 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    I have used ONLY regular gas..the lowest octane available for 15000 miles since I bought the car last year. Never a problem, never a knock....the engine is fine. I think you are wasting LOTS of money to put anything other than regular in.

Of course, since knock may not be audible or noticeable, doesn't discount that it is occurring. At about 50, 60, 70, or 80k, who knows? The valves may exhibit damage by then, may not. For a mere 200 dollars a year, the peace of mind is worth it for me.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    25,000 miles is a ton for a 1 yr old car.
    There is no book for this car yet, so dealers will have to go by feel and a 25k car just doesn't feel good. My guess is somewhere between $30-35k

05 info will be out soon, we already have some info, like new colors. Pricing will come later.
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    The stock Michelin tires in both 17" & 18" are Ok for light snow but that is all. With proper winter treads the XC90 is outstanding. For those who want one set of tires year-round, the Nokian Hakka SUV has gotten good user reports. If you like the Michelin Cross-Terrain, it is listed in the 235/65SR17 size. There are fewer choices in 18" tires although that should improve as time goes on.

Has Volvo "designed and marketed the XC90 as primarily an on-road SUV with limited snow capabilities?" Not at all but tire selection has proven to be a limiting factor in winter performance. Fortunately, that is something easy to change.
  • davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    >25,000 miles is a ton for a 1 yr old car.

Don't you guys actually drive your cars? Might be 23,000 at the point I trade, but a couple of road trips 4-5 hours away per month, the regular daily commute and errands, and a couple of family vacations per year easily puts 25,000-30,000 miles per year on our cars (and has for decades)...

Anyway, thanks for the input - albeit discouraging input - Volvomax.

So, any place you could point me to see those 2005 colors you mentioned, or are they just the same as the 2004 colors?
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    My 2.5 is jet black. It's awesome and gives the vehicle a classy look. It looks great in the hotel valet area but of course it's a challenge to keep clean.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I love black - but we have black S80, and it does look great anywhere - and have two black Volvos in the same garage? It did not sound right to our family, so we are getting Red - second choice.
  • hgthgt Member Posts: 1
    I was considering an MDX but now I'm considering purchasing a Volvo XC 90 after test driving one yesterday. Any suggestions as to which is better and why? (I have read a lot of the messages posted previously but I'm still undecided).
  • 1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    I was considering an MDX but now I'm considering purchasing a Volvo XC 90 after test driving one yesterday. Any suggestions as to which is better and why?

FWIW, I think there are enough positives in both vehicles that you'll be happy with either one. For us, it was part style, part safety and that the sales rep let / dared us to push the XC90 on back roads and on the freeway.
  • rolrol Member Posts: 3
    I love black too. It has that timeless appeal to it. I usually try to stay away from trendy colors. Silver is also nice...which is what my wife was leaning more towards for our XC90 but I convinced her on the black. I now have 3 black cars and it looks pretty cool when they are all clean and spotless. But I think the next car will have to be another color unless we get rid of one of our other black cars. =) I guess to me...three's ok...but four is too much.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    there's an Edmunds XC90 vs MDX message board where there is some decent debate

I bought the Volvo because I love FORD....not

I felt the Volvo would be safer. I much prefer its looks. I enjoyed driving it. You probably can't go wrong with either. If you plan to use the third seat, make sure you put the most likely users IN that third seat while you test drive. My kids liked it just fine, and given their ages and heights, I am sure to get at least a few years out of the third seat.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    yes, I am getting the speed sensitive steering from OSD, as well. Didn't think you could get it on a 2.5 domestically, was my point.

I didn't realize there was a difference between OSD invoice and domestic invoice. Good point. I think the major selling point of OSD, other than the vacation aspect, is that you can split up the "packages" and order whatever options you want. And you can order the steering option. I'm still trying to get the power side mirrors.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You'll find that discussion here: Volvo XC90 vs. Acura MDX

tidester, host
    25,000 miles is still a ton for a 1 yr old car.
    The market frowns on lux cars w/ high miles.
    ANY 1 yr old car w/ double the acceptable miles won't have great resale. There are simply too many alternatives available to consumers.

The only truly new color is Magic Blue.
    Titanium exists on other Volvo's.
  • cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    Out of curiosity as one who had an extended delivery date for an xc90, anyone have current info re English channel retrieval vehicles sunk Dec '02?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A 2003 isn't a 1 year old car, it's darn close to a 2 year old car. I suspect that 25,000 miles wouldn't hurt resale that much. I am actually suspicious of cars that have unusually low mileage, suggesting they have been driven mostly on short hops which is very hard on a car (especially turbos). Our 1996 Trooper with 73,000 mostly city miles has experienced much more mechanical "wear and tear" than my 1995 Maxima with 153k miles of mostly highway driving.
  • clheitclheit Member Posts: 18
    Anyone ever purchase a car on Ebay? I'm very skeptical, but have chatted with several people for whom the process was successful and (much!) cheaper.

What are your thoughts?
  • chuckmdchuckmd Member Posts: 2
    I was debating the same question, and ended up purchasing XC90 for the following reasons;
    1) Safety- Do not buy a SUV without reinforced roof structure or anti-roll stability
    2) XC90 simply drives better. It is more car-like, and handles better.
    3) Completely new MDX will likely arrive in 2005. Wait if you want MDX.MDX has better engine, but its chasis is clearly aging.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Buying and Selling Cars on eBay

“Unless it specifically says it is required in your owners’ manual, you don’t need it”

Premium gas not always needed (Detroit News)

Steve, Host
  • roper6roper6 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the link Steve!
    I did look in my manual, and nowhere does it specify premium fuel. It just lists the minimum octane, and says you get better performance with premium. I have tried premium two times in my 04 T6, and both times it lowered my mileage. The first time on a road trip through Iowa, where premium is cheaper than regular, almost 4mpg lower! there were only about 6k miles on the car then. The second time last week, .5mpg lower on premium. about 12k on it. I asked at the Volvo shop on one of my "regular" repair visits and the mechanic said regular was fine. the engines will adapt to whatever grade you put in it.

The long and short of it? It's your car! Burn what you choose!
    The XC90 in question is a 2004 not a 2003.
    I would agree that a 2003 w/ 25k is more reasonable.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You're right, I'm wrong. Must have confused the poster with someone else considering trading a 2003 for a 2004.

However, although 25k miles is a lot for a 2004, if it's in pristine condition, it might sell at a reasonably good price to someone else who wouldn't put as many miles on it. Still, I agree it will need to be discounted more than a car with 10k miles on it.
    We're still debating this issue I guess. My manual for the '04 2.5T says use 91 Octane. That's in between mid-grade (89) and premium (93). I alternate between the 2 when I fill up. But my service manager insists mid-grade alone is fine.

As for Ebay, I bought a Mustang. No problem at all and I saved about $3000. I recommend buying a car under manuf. warranty and make sure you're getting a good deal. It's not worth the effort and risk if you're just saving a few hundred dollars.
    91 octane is a premium in many states. CA is one of them.
    I just have looked into the official rating for the US gasoline.

Premium - octane over 90
    Mid-grade - 88-90
    Regular - 85-88

So, Octane 91 means Premium in all states.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/types_of_gasoline.html
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    this is a total objective post. I own an xc90 t6
    Took it too logn island to my uncles house, where when we pulled into the driveway, he had a shiny new 1 month old 2004 mdx. We looked at each other's cars, acura mdx is a good car also, but when he took ours for a test drive when he was driving he was like oh this car seats you closer to the ground and drives more like a car. We did not force any of this out of him he said that himself, which must show you the difference. He is still happy he bought the mdx b//c for abt 41.9 he got the dvd and nav along with remote startup. But each has his own.
  • rnursernurse Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a new SUV and we've pretty much decided on the XC90. There are two options that I'd like opinions on. The first is the 7 x 18" ATLANTIS Alloy Wheels with 235/60/R18 tires. What do larger tires give you? Next, the navigation system. Is there a way of comparing their system with after-market offerings? If I can get a better after-market unit, I can save a little cash.

TIA
    TIA,

You're not getting larger tires, you are getting larger rims. Some people get the larger rims and a lower profile tire (sometimes with wider tires also) to improve performance in road handling and also because they just prefer the look of them compared to a smaller diameter rim. Some people also think the Atlantis Wheels look better than the 17" Neptunes, myself included.

You can compare the navigation system by test driving an XC90 with navigation and testing other cars and SUVs with other types of navigation systems. See if you like the usability and look of the XC90's compared to other SUVs. I personally like how the XC90 is the only SUV that has a LCD screen which retracts into the dashboard and is closer to eye level than other SUVs. It doesn't have voice recognition but I think it has a coolness factor that sets it apart from other manufacturers.

They make aftermarket Navigation systems which also play DVD movies and are loaded with a bunch of other options as well as having a screen which retracts and is hidden away while not in use. Usually the DVD play function is disabled while driving and is only usable when the car is parked. These are cool as well if you don't mind having an aftermarket console installed in your vehicle.
    My experience with the larger wheels (and lower profile tires) is that you get improved handling at the expense of harshness in the ride. Given that the XC90 is not a sports car, I would go with the 17 inchers. The other benefit is that the tires are cheaper to replace.
  • rnursernurse Member Posts: 3
    I went to a dealer the other day and, honestly, I didn't see much of a "look" difference between the 17's and the 18's. Though the Atlantis wheels look slightly better. I figure I can always get better rims later if need be. As for navigations systems, do you know of any brands/models that offer retractible systems and play DVD's. I'll probably go with Volvo's. But, I'd like to at least look at some others.

Thanks.
    Some brands/models that offer retractable navigation/play dvd's, mp3s, etc. are:

Pioneer appears to return the most results and features.

Pioneer NAV-SYS920DVD DVD Mobile Navigation System
    Pioneer NAV-SYS910DVD DVD Mobile Navigation System

Pioneer AVH-P7500DVD Mobile DVD Digital Server with 7-inch Motorized, Touch Panel Display - (this one allows tri-zone ability where you can use it for navigation in the front, play dvds on lcd panels in the rear, and listen to audio such as fm radio, cd, mp3s)
  • mmmm8mmmm8 Member Posts: 26
    This is the reason why I chose the laminated glass, security package.
    But if Volvo can offer laminated glass with dark color (tinted), it will be even better.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys/052404_7oys_safe_glass.html
    The benefits of the special laminated side glass are mostly anecdotal. I have not seen any good studies on the subject. The safety arguments in favor involve containing occupants in a crash (presumably because they are not using seat belts!) and flying glass shards (less of a problem with modern vehicle glass and head curtains). The argument against is the need to break the glass to escape or to extract occupants in some crashes (such as submersions). I think Volvo properly calls it a Security package, as the safety benefits are debatable. Still, a reasonable option and that slight purple tint from the lamination looks cool.
    The glass is designed to resist break in efforts.
    It works, one of our S60's was hit 3 times in the drivers door glass and 4 times in the drivers side rear glass. Looked like a rock was the weapon of choice.

On a side note, the Security Pkg has been dropped for the 2005 XC90's.
  • preekiespreekies Member Posts: 3
    I have 2004 2.5t fuly loaded xc90.

Can anyone help me .When I use the electric windows I have to press the button again once the window is up to fully seal the window .

If I do not do this the car is noisy .Dealer said they reprogramed the window but you still have to push the button twice.

Very annoying for a 44000 car.
    Who wrote that junk about the 2005 XC90 V8???
    Ford Exploder V8?????

For the record: 4.4l V8, brand new design built by Yamaha. 315hp 320 ft/lbs 60 degree block
    6 speed Geartronic gearbox. Due Feb 2005.

Please retract or correct the information on the XC90 page.
    Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try the Feedback Form. They'll appreciate hearing from you!

tidester, host
  • oneofeachoneofeach Member Posts: 1
    I am a long time reader, but first time poster to this forum. I am in the position of owning both a 2002 Acura MDX (base model) and a 2004 Volvo 2.5 XC-90. After continuing to read the comparisons made by non-owners, I decided to add my two cents. While test drives are great, a truly informed opinion cannot be rendered until you own a given vehicle. That said, we love both of our SUVs. It is precisely because of our positive experience with our MDX that we decided to purchase another SUV. We narrowed it down to the Lexus 330 (seems to be a great vehicle) and the XC-90. The Infiniti FX-35 was a remote possibility, but the interior and visibility was not right for us. That doesn't mean that the FX-35 isn't the right vehicle for someone else. After weeks of test drives between the Lexus and the Volvo we were equally impressed. One minor factor that played in our decision was the middle of the rear seat in the Lexus. It was overly uncomfortable and felt as though the padding was not quite as thick as the rest of the back seats. It was the same on all of the RX-330's we tested. That alone did not kill it for us, but when it came down to crunch time on the numbers, the Volvo was a much better deal due to a Ford Plan I had access to. We are as happy with the Volvo as we are with the Acura. Each has its own distinctive ride and handling. The Acura feels plusher (not in luxury, but in ride) and the Volvo feels more taut/crisp. The Acura's electronic automatic climate controls are better than the Volvo's dial knobs for the automatic climate control. We went with the 2.5 liter Volvo due to the concerns we had read about the larger 2.9 liter. While the 2.5 will never be mistaken for a rocket ship, it does everything we need it to do. Our Volvo is a 5 seater and the roominess is superb. I believe that some second row seating room is lost with the addition of the third row. The Acura roominess is excellent, even with the third row. We frequently have tall children in the third row with no problem.
    All in all, it's entertaining to read some of the verbal sparring between MDX and XC-90 owners. By the way, we have been fortunate not to have had any issues with our XC-90, other than the power window not fully seating on the first try. We will have that looked at during the next servicing servicing. It is not a big deal. We also received a notice about a repair upgrade to the electronic module which may help the trip meter from resetting without reason. Our MDX has been trouble free also. Bottom line, we are thrilled with both of our vehicles. By the way, we hung onto our 1989 Nissan Maxima with 141,000 miles. Talk about a great car........
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    We're picking up our XC90 this weekend and were wondering about the roof cross bars. Volvo offers a new "aero" cross bar that looks nicer and is more aerodynamic than other aftermarket versions. We intend on putting a Thule ski rack and cargo box on top, but the Thule web site doesn't mention these cross bars.

Does anyone happen to know if there are clamps to work with these cross bars? Or will I need to get standard after-market bars anyway to work with a ski rack and box?

Thanks
  • todd53todd53 Member Posts: 47
    volvomax: Thanks for setting the record straight on next year's V8, that is quite a relief. By the way, do you have the scoop on any other changes, cosmetic or otherwise, in store for the 2005 XC90? Please advise, thanks.
    The V8 arrives 1st Quarter of 2005.

New colors
    Titanium Gray
    Magic Blue-replaces Nautic Blue
    Cypress Green dropped
    No more aluminum trim
    Sec pkg and T6 Prem Pkg dropped.
    Prem sound and 18" alloys stand alone options.
    New tire pressure monitoring system standard
    Rainsensor and homelink now standard

2005's due late Sept-October.
  • dk-wadk-wa Member Posts: 18
    I am new to the message board. I am looking for a SUV to replace my 2000 Town& Country. Volvo XC90 looks great on paper and on the internet. Here are some questions. Additional comment will be appreciated.
    Consumers report listed Volvo as "LOW" on reliability. What is the experience in the "real world"?
    What is the advantages of T6 over 2.5! Some reports say the 2.5 5 cyl is better matched to the transmission than is the case for the T6. Is that true?
    What Mileage can I expect?
    What is the gross weight of 2.5 & T6? (For tax write-off purpose!)
    I don't know why Consumers does what they do.
    If you look at the individual ratings in each category the XC90 is no better or worse than the other SUV's. Based on theri little colored dots I would say "average" would be fairer.

T6 advantages: power. Passing power.
    The 5 cyl is smoother than the T6, but it is slower. Most people can't tell any shifting quality between the T6 and 5 cyl. The T6 can be more abrupt under load than the 5 cyl. Also its best not to redline the T6 in 1st or 2nd gears.
    There is a protection program in place to preserve the tranny and it can cut power at or near redline.

EPA says 15/20 for the T6 18/24 for the 2.5T.
    Your mileage may vary.

For the write off you MUST buy a T6 7 passenger(6085 lbs GVWR) or a 2.5T AWD 7 passenger (6005 lbs GVWR) No other variants will qualify.

If you can wait till Spring and are prepared to pay over $50,000 the XC90 V8 will arrive. 315 hp.
    6 speed transmission.
  • dk-wadk-wa Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any other SIGNIFICANT differences between T6 and 2.5.such as mechanical, room, seating, quality of seating etc. I can identify the different option available from the literature
  • bwallachbwallach Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my XC90 back in February, after waiting for 8 weeks on delivery. Overall, I have been very happy. Unfortunately, something happened last Wednesday. The car was/is driving fine, but all of the electronics are not working. No lights, signals, radio, windows, locks, etc. But the car still drives fine. It has been at the dealer for over a week and they can't pinpoint the problem. A tech from Volvo is coming tomorrow to use some special computer equipment and try to pinpoint the problem. I guess I am rather disappointed. I researched this vehicle for 2 months prior to buying and was very excited. Now, just 3,000 miles and 3 months later, I will have a vehicle that has been completely dismantled and hopefully put back together correctly. It is just a shame that such an expensive car can be a lemon. Has anyone heard of this type of problem?
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Why are they dropping the aluminum trim?
    volvomax: "I don't know why Consumers does what they do. If you look at the individual ratings in each category the XC90 is no better or worse than the other SUV's. Based on their little colored dots I would say "average" would be fairer."

The reliability ratings confuse many people. Unlike other ratings that are qualitative, reliability is a percentage range based on defects per 100 owners. Yes, the XC90 has many red circles (few defects) but not as many as the average car, which is why it got a lower-than-average for reliability. Pure number chunching.

Another problem is that the XC90 ratings were based on less than 300 responses, so that only a few wild-card results could chance the reliability score. On top of that, the sample was from the first few months after the XC90 was introduced when bugs were being discovered.

Owners were surveyed again recently. We will have to see if the results are any different. At least there should be a larger sample size.
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    e250v10

I have the T6. My wife drives it mostly around town and we get about 14.5 (7500 miles currently). Trip down to Indianapolis last weekend netted us 19.3 and that is with about 20% local driving vs. 80% highway