Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The programming is free if done @ the 7500 mile service. Otherwise a charge will apply.
  • enginoneenginone Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to both of you for the fast answers.

Still bothers me about the lack of a warning for the headlight switch -- I'll just need to train myself to keep my hands off it.
  • beaster4beaster4 Member Posts: 10
    A while back I asked for input on replacement tires for my 2005 XC90 V8. I chose Michelin Synchrone4x4 P255/55 R18. After about 2500 miles, I can give them very high marks. I live in central NC. They are not noticably noisier than the OEM Michelins. Dry traction is outstanding. Wet traction may be a little bit better. And I think that they are a little more in keeping with the look of an SUV tire, rather than a 'sedan' tire.
  • kd2mdkd2md Member Posts: 5
    Hey all, new guy on the block about to pick up a 2003 XC90 T6. The wife and I have driven Volvos for the last 15 years, from the 700 series through the current 960. I am not so keen on losing the 960 (shoulda kept the 940 too) but the wife is seriously drooling over the prospects of that XC90. The question of the day is, having seen a great deal of input regarding Volvos apparent loss of quality over these XC's and tempering it with my mechanical knowledge, which says things do wear out and things do go wrong, does anyone know the following. I am also a diehard Ford fan, and one thing Ford did several years ago that also had a negative effect on its transmissions / differentials was to lube everything with Dexron. In Arizona Dexron barely cuts the grade in a full automatic transmission. Not knowing the specifics on the XC's (and excluding the obvious transmission itself) transfer case or rear end, is there any reason either of those could not be lubed with full synthetic gear lube, or like we did in the Fords, synthetic 20-50 motor oil? Doing this in the Fords dramatically improved their longevity and durability.
    All this talk on transmission failure leads me to wonder how many of those folks did not REGULARLY change the fluid. Most owners are notorious on believing transmissions and rearends are 'lifetime' lubed. Mileage alone is not acceptable for scheduling, temperature extremes do more to break down oil than the number of miles traveled. If you only drove 10k miles a year, that would put your oil at 3 years of summer to winter exposure, and overdue for change.
  • soxfansoxfan Member Posts: 25
    i'd also be intrigued about the amplifier modification. volvomax - how much to replace an amplifier if you mess it up trying to attach an ipod? ;)
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    The '03 T6 was the most troublesome XC90 because it was the first one off the assembly line and had a mismatched transmission. Could be a good deal if you check it out carefully and verify that all applicable TSBs and recalls were made by Volvo dealers. The GM--yes, GM!--transmission is a weak link and no amount of replacing fluids will change that. If it hasn't been flogged it may be fine, or not--check it out with a critical eye.

Volvo has no scheduled transmission fluid replacement in normal driving up to 150,000 miles, although they recommend changing the fluid every 50,000 when towing. I don't know what fluid is specified for the T6's 4-speed but the 2.5T's Asin-Warner 5-speed uses Mobil 3309 and does not like substitutes, especially Dexron.
  • kd2mdkd2md Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info, one added question. Is there a way to tell from the VIN # what the production date was for these cars? I have seen where the early ones were more prone to issue than the later builds. This car has one very wild thing with it. It had 45,000 miles put on it in 16 months (according to CarFax's info). This is either a condemnation of CarFax's accuracy, or someone flat out drove every day of the year in it!
    Wow, that's like 90 miles a day! I have heard of people who commute over a hundred miles every work day but I'm not sure I would want their used car. With that kind of mileage I would have it thoroughly inspected, including things like the bevel gears, bushings and joints. And get an extended warranty, for sure.

Volvo's website has VIN and VIC decoders under Owner's Info, Search Library. AFAIK you would need to know how to correlate the chassis serial number to the date of manufacture to get the week it came off the assembly line. However, you can find the month & year of manufacturer from a label on the back of the left B-pillar (open the rear door on the driver's side).

Unless the price was really good I would look for ones built March 2003 and later. The XC90 had an unusual early MY 2004 release in mid 2003 where many of the initial glitches were corrected.
  • dougjdougj Member Posts: 4
    The CD player in the Volvo XC90 does not play MP3's or WMA's right?
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    No, it does not. The new generation that starts with the S80 2007 will, though.
  • dougjdougj Member Posts: 4
    Does that include the 2007 XC90 as well??
    I do not think so. It will retain the existing head units, but this is a good question for volvomax...
  • cpike1cpike1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at buying a DVD burner for my home so that I don't have to keep buying DVDs for my 2 year old for all the road trips.

Does anyone know if the RES will play DVD-R or other 'burned' discs?
    The current Volvo cd players should be able to play burned discs.
    My 04 S60R will.
    The 07 XC90 will have an aux input for ipods or other devices.
  • simonmasonsimonmason Member Posts: 3
    Will there be any retro-fitting the ipod jack to 06 XC90s?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    our volvo xc90 dvd player can play DVD+Rs no prob.
    the only problem we have with it is when we can't find the remote, we can't start the disc playing because we can't access/move around the menus.
    later years' xc90 dvd players are apparently different/better - they have headrest screens instead of the flip-down-from-roof screen.
    Will there be any retro-fitting the ipod jack to 06 XC90s?

No, sorry.
    The head unit will be completely different.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First Look: 2007 Volvo XC90 Face-Lift (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • volvo5volvo5 Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up my 2005 XC90 after it was in for it's first service and it now has a loud humming sound coming from the hood while driving. It gets louder as I'm slowing down/braking. The service mgr at the dealer tells me it's a normal sound from having the tires rotated. Has anyone had this experience? Are they BSing me? ">
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Will also have a 6 speed transmission with the new 6 cyl engine.

Toronto, Ontario - Volvo has announced its new 2007 XC90 luxury SUV, with a refined exterior, more luxurious interior and new safety and convenience features, along with a new six-cylinder engine. The 2007 model will be available in the Summer of 2006.

The XC90 includes a new grille with more chrome, redesigned taillamps, body-colour side trim mouldings, new wheelhouse mouldings, and body-coloured mirrors with integrated turn signals. There is a new turn indicator function, with three flashes for a lane change when the indicator stalk is pressed quickly. There are two new body colours, and new 18-inch aluminum wheels for the V8 models.

The 2007 model is also equipped with Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), which uses cameras integrated into the door mirrors which register if a vehicle enters the XC90's rear blind spots; if it does, a light illuminates in the mirror. There is a new Park Assist Camera, which alerts drivers to people standing behind the vehicle when reversing, and shows the vehicle's planned track.

The turbocharged five-cylinder engine of 2006 will be replaced with a new 3.2-litre inline six-cylinder engine, which maintains the same exterior dimensions and fuel consumption of the five-cylinder. It produces 235 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque and like the V8, will be mated to a six-speed Geartronic automatic transmission and Volvo All-Wheel Drive with Instant Traction.
  • leibiusleibius Member Posts: 2
    I'm doing some research on seat configurations for an automotive firm, and am interested in your opinions/likes/dislikes regarding the center 2nd row seat in the XC90. Do you use the seat to move your children closer to you as the driver? How about using infant seats or boosters -- do you use the center seat and the side seats at the same time? Any feedback you can give would be helpful in designing better seats in future utility vehicles. Thanks!
  • lucas7lucas7 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2006 XC90 2.5T with the standard lights. I am not too pleased with their performance. I would like to upgrade to HID/Xenons if possible.
    Are there any recommendations on which aftermarket brand to use? Ideally I would like to use the same bulbs as in the OEM Xenon lights.
    Thanks for any feedback or help!
    The answer is Yes on both counts. We have 4 year old niece, who is big enough to ride in the build-in booster chair. She loves, truly loves riding in our XC90, she feels like a "big girl" and she appreciates being close to the driver and having much better outlook.

My wife and my two daughters (they are the ones mostly driving my niece around) also appreciate the fact, that the center seat can be moved closer to the driver. They always remove the center console and have a girl basically next to them. It is easier to converse and manage a kid.

Very nice feature indeed.
  • klockboyklockboy Member Posts: 33
    Hi Steve:

Does the Forum allow for Personal Information relating to getting out of a lease.

I have a 2005 XC90 V-8 located in the suburbs of Philadelphia and I need to get out of lease due to some unexpected financial issues.

The lease is one of the lowest I have seen and represents a very good opportunity for someone looking to get into the V-8 Version.

If this is allowable, I will provide more details and specific details to those who want to e-mail me (I will provide my e-mail address if this is allowed).

Thanks!
    Oh, boy, an interesting topic. There is much bad information out there so proceed at your own risk. Also, lighting is very subjective so opinions need to be taken with a grain of salt. The bottom line is that the halogen performance has more to do with the optics than the bulbs. You may be able to improve things by simply aiming the beams differently and by keeping the lenses clean. The cheapest upgrade is Sylvania Silverstar bulbs which will help a little but tend to burn out more quickly. Next would be auxiliary driving lights (useful only when no other cars around) and using the fog lights with low beams (check local regulations for use when not foggy). HID or Xenon conversions are possible but very expensive and fraught with safety problems if not done properly--the wise man will save his money. Ironically, some XC90 owners who got the bi-xenons as an option are dissatisfied with them and wish they would have gone with the halogens!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Klockboy, we aren't set up for buying and selling on the forum, which would include soliciting people to buy out your lease.

Here's some alternatives to look at:

Lease Trading

Three Tough Leasing Questions Answered

And there's always Craigslist.com.

Car_man over in Volvo XC90: Lease Questions may have some more suggestions for you. The Lease Termination Fees and other costs discussion may be helpful too.

Finally, if you mark your email address public in your profile, other members will be able to contact you and you'll lessen your risk of spam a bit. Good luck!

Steve, Host
    Thanks, Steve...

Thought I would give someone on the forum a chance to get into a Great Lease at a Great Price before going to SwapaLease or Leasetrader...

Take Care...

KlockBoy...
    Be careful. Not all lease companies will allow you to turn the lease over to someone else.
    Also, some lease co's may keep you on the lease and make you responsible for any missed payments, damage, mileage fees etc.
    Thanks, VolvoMax..

US Bank allows you to transfer your lease without any ramifications to the original leaseholder...

Take Care...
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    fwiw, i think the xenons might be overrated! i like the projector-beam headlights on my holden/pontiac much better than the volvo xc90 xenons...
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone have a date for the arrival of 2007 XC 90. Going to look at XC 90, Audi Q7, and 2007 Cadillac SRX. Currently own S80 T6.

If you don't get third row seats in the XC 90, does it still have the tracks for the seats?

If the third row seats are purchased and they are folded down how much height is there to the roof (need to have room for medium size dog carrier).
  • lucas7lucas7 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your message bigeddy!
    The only problem is that it seems that there are no real options to upgrade the stock light bulbs, not even for non-xenons. Sylvania unfortunately does not have a H11 Silverstar, nor does any other reputable company...
    I guess I am stuck....
    H11? My manual says the halogen headlamps are 55W H7.
    I can answer question 2 and 3.

The second row has tracks regardless of whether you have the third row or not, and it splits 40/20/40, which I have found extremely convenient so many times.

The third row folds UNDER the floor and does not effect the size of the cargo compartment at all. You'll get the same space as with the 5-seat option.

The cargo space in XC90 is amazing compare to other SUV's of similar exterior dimensions. You actually have some usable cargo space with the 3rd row up. (pretty much the same as in the 5-seat BMW X5).
    Look for the 07 XC90 V8's in August.
    The 3rd row is standard on the V8.
    However, the seats fold flat and do not lessen the cargo height in the 3rd row.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Volvo is being awfully quiet on the subject of satellite radio for the '07 XC90s. If they don't have it, they'll have the only vehicle in their segment that doesn't. Big mistake.
    "If you don't get third row seats in the XC 90, does it still have the tracks for the seats?"

No. there is a storage area instead. Note that with the 3rd row, the 2nd row is a few inches forward which decreases leg room for the 2nd-row passengers but gives you a little more storage space behind the 2nd row.

"If the third row seats are purchased and they are folded down how much height is there to the roof (need to have room for medium size dog carrier)."

With or without the 3rd-row seats you have a 31"-32" high rear opening. The actual storage space is larger but is irregularly shaped. A medium carrier should be able to go in easily behind the 2nd row. A large carrier, say 40"x27"X30", might have to go in lengthwise with part of the 2nd row folded down.
    there will be sat radio for the 07's, we just don't know when the gear will be available.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    That's good news!
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out both configurations. Good to know both will meet our needs.
    That would be great news! This is one of my wish list items for the SUV.
    Thanks for the information. Strongly agree with you about satellite radio.
  • garfieldkinggarfieldking Member Posts: 2
    I know this is not new topic, but we just need a SUV right now and I know there is some incentive for 2.5T and it will drop line in 07.

I tested drive both car only in local, I did not feel too much difference. For gas, I think V8 is less efficiency, but not too bad than 2.5T. But gas price is really high in Bay Area, CA.

I just want to know some of your experiences about 2.5T or V8.

Really appreciate!

:)
    Have 30,000 miles on my 2.5T and I love it. Lots of low end torque, which is really what you need in a SUV. I would buy it again.
    If you are interested in the safety aspect of the XC90:

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Volvo_News/article_807.html
    Most positive,
    No problems whatsoever @36K miles, original brakes and rotors, original rear hub bearings, etc.. .

We never feel the lack of power. The engine is audible, when revs up, but I like this sound more than the sound of V8, the later reminds me my Ford F-150, that I have driven a few years ago.

Gas mileage is 17.5-18 city drive (very bad short hops in LA) and 21-23 on a freeway. The mileage is very speed dependent, the best is @65 MPH, deteriorates quickly above 75 MPH.

Snow handling was adequate with stock Michelins, much better with the Continental LX, which we have installed @32K miles. We are going to Mammoth and Big Bear to ski several times a year, and I have been through really heavy snow storms with no problem.

Overall - nothing but a great joy and pleasure - roomy, comfortable, car-like handling, a lot of versatility with 3rd row.
  • murphman2564murphman2564 Member Posts: 1
    In the middle of replacing my tires on my 05 XC90 how did your bridgestones work out???
    "Snow handling was adequate with stock Michelins, much better with the Continental LX, which we have installed 32K miles."

How are they on pavement? The stock Michelin 4x4 Synchrone is rated 380 AA A whereas the Continental CrossContact LX is 680 A B, meaning that the LX has much better wear but sacrifices both wet traction and temperature tolerance. I've been considering the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza which gets good reviews and is rated 600 A A which seems like a good balance between wear and performance.
    I am pretty satisfied with Conties. The road noise is the same as with the stock Michelin, the snow traction is way better (just got back from Mammoth Lakes a couple of hours ago - huge difference compare to Mich.).

Can not say much about wet traction living in LA (and temperature tolerance is not an issue at all). Both, my wife and I can be considered as the moderate drivers, so we never push a car to the limit on the wet road. Plus, DSTC takes care of the rest.

I was considering Duelers as well, but Conties are almost half of the price. Once again - 680 wear rating won our hearts.