Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    demcakdemcak Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    demcakdemcak Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard that dodge is going or considering replacing this engine with a new hemi?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    When did Dodge come out with this motor?
  • Options
    bluegrass1bluegrass1 Member Posts: 50
    The ABS and Brake lights came on in the dash of my 1999 Dodge Diesel pickup while driveing. I drove it about 200 miles afterward to get home with no apparent problems.
    Any suggestions on the cause.
  • Options
    2010220102 Member Posts: 2
    New meaning for the word TOUGH. Dodge advertises their trucks as being RAM TOUGH, a friend bought one and has had the transmission replaced twice in 30K -- his TOUGH luck!
  • Options
    02ramman02ramman Member Posts: 62
    All,

Have read a few posts about the mirrors snapping off and had the dealer tell me of a few also. And guess what? My passenger side mirror broke today! Just sitting in the vehicle, windows down, engine off and POP! The mirror is still on the vehicle, but it no longer has detents to hold it out straight. It just flops around! Can pull it up about 2 inches and the only thing holding it on is the wires to the defroster/mirror adjustment motor. Should have a new one in about a week. (national backorderd, 1,620 of them is what a dealer told me).

I have NEVER folded my mirrors since I got it and have not hit anything either.
  • Options
    bluegrass1bluegrass1 Member Posts: 50
    My ABS and brake lights came on in the dash on my 1999 Diesel Dodge while driving. I drove about 200 miles afterward to get home, with no apparent problems showing up. Any suggestions on the cause?
    Thanks
    Jack
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with the dealer today. Chrysler Engineering is writing the software patch to fix the pull-downs/rev ups/stalls. They have no time frame but I was assured that as soon as they get done they need to test it on their vehicles (ones they have at HQ that are doing the same thing) to see if it works and to see if it causes any more problems.

Don't help any of us now, but hopefully this won't take too long! By the way to keep it from stalling in the interim they stand by using the A/C or defrost.
  • Options
    wlm26wlm26 Member Posts: 33
    About a week ago I was driving on the highway and a lady literally pulled up beside me to say she really loved my new 02 Ram QC 4x4, but that it was leaning to the right. I pulled off to look and she pulled off as well, and sure enough, the entire right side was leaning to the right. I took it in to the dealer and here's what they listed on the work order: "Cause: 02250240 Suspension, Front Height-Adjust (B) 1064 WC40. Anyone know what this means???? Also, at the bottom they listed this: 15054 Ride Height out of specification left 2.0", right 1.5" (2 full inches?!?!?!?!?!), adjusted both to 2.3", adjust front suspension ride height. Now for the life of me, I'll bet my next paycheck that the truck is now lower up front than when I got it!!! Also, they stated that they have absolutely no clue as to why this might have happened. PLEASE, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT TO THIS PROBLEM, LET ME KNOW!!! I can be emailed at wlm29@attbi.com, or if you've had this same problem, what actually fixed it, because I'm almost positive all they did was adjust the torsion bars on my truck, but they adjusted them the wrong direction!! And I'm thinking this is going to happen again!!! Does anyone know what the ride height should actually be on an 02 Ram QC 4x4 Sport with the 20" wheels????? Thanks in advance!!! Oh, and sorry about creating the new topic post. Obviously I thought there would be a thread specifically for 02 Rams, but this is cool.
  • Options
    peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    The procedure for height measurement(from the service manual for a 4x4) is as follows:
    1. Check to see if the tires are inflated to specs. Bounce the front end.
    2. Measure the distance from the ground to the center line of the lower control arm bolt front tip.
    3. Measure the distance from the ground to the center line of the front spindle.
    4. Subtract the first from the second and the difference should be 58mm(2.3in)
    5. If the difference is greater than 61mm(2.4in) then tighten the torsion bar bolt until the spec is reached.
    6. If the difference is less than 55mm(2.1in) then loosen the torsion bar bolt.
    7. Always get to the right height by raising the bar if it is to high then lower it more than enough so you can raise it to the proper height. (Clockwise to raise)

So there is not really a measurement that is the ride height but it is the difference between two heights.
    Hoe this helps!!
    Tom
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>Has anyone heard that dodge is going or considering replacing this engine with a new hemi? <<

Yes, Chrysler has announced that the new hemi engine will replace the 360 motor in 2003, although the hemi introduction date will be just after the 2003 intro date.

Dusty
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    dusty,

to the best of my knowledge dodge has said that the hemi will replace the 360 in the heavy duty trucks, but, has never said the hemi will replace the 360 in the 1500. however, with annual hemi production expected to exceed 440,000...and only a small portion of those expected to go into the heavies...there will be plenty for the 1500s...what is odd is that dodge has never publicly announced that the hemi will be available in the 1/2 ton when of course it will...very odd!!
  • Options
    wlm26wlm26 Member Posts: 33
    Yes, that helps CONSIDERABLY!!!! I placed the order for my manuals today, but it's great to know there are guys out there who are willing to help a fellow out. I'm jumping right on in to see if the dealer set it right because it really is lower than when I bought it.

Again, thanks a million!!
  • Options
    I have read that Chrysler is quoted as saying that they will be phasing out the LA series completely. The 318LA is gone in all ground vehicle platforms, although it is still being used in auxilary power and marine applications. But this, too, is temporary. Since this market is relatively small in comparison, I suspect that Chrysler has built what it needs to supply marine and stationary power manufacturers what it needs for a short duration. And that is probably because Chrysler wants all of it's 4.7 production to go into trucks and one possible car platform.

I know for a fact that Dodge has announced to fleet buyers that the hemi will be available in the 2003 RAM 1500 series, although it will be introduced "sometime" after the model introduction. One automotive news source says that it will be March of '03 when this occurs.

From a production perspective, it just doesn't make sense for Chrysler to continue the 360 motor while building the hemi. Industry reports indicate that they will be expanding the hemi series into as many as 5 variations of both horsepower and cubic inch displacements. The new hemi design is considerably more efficient and can develop more torque.

Dusty
  • Options
    jasonrupjasonrup Member Posts: 13
    There seems to be a considerable amount of confusion with the available/future engines in the Dodge Ram. Here's a brief overview. The last generation of Rams were available with the last generation of Chrysler Magnum engines, namely the 3.9L V6 (175HP), 5.2L V8 (230HP)(318Ci), 5.9L V8 (245HP) (360Ci), 8.0L V10 (488Ci). ALL of these motors are completely OUTDATED, overpolluting, and underpowered relative to the competition. They are slowly being phased out and replaced by the new generation of Magnum and Magnum-HEMI motors. In their places are the 3.7L V6 (210HP), 4.7L V8 (235HP), 4.7L HO V8 (265HP), 5.7L V8 (345HP). As of right now, the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L V8 are history, the 5.9L is still available in the Ram 1500 through the first quarter of 2003. The 5.7L HEMI will debut in the Ram 1500 OffRoad edition in January and will be phased into the rest of the lineup as the 5.9L is phased out. The 4.7L HO will not be available in the Rams for at least another year. The 5.7L will also be the base motor in the 2500/3500HD models along with the 5.9L Cummins/Cummins HO Diesels and the carryover 8.0L V10. As for the V10 there are three possible scenarios, 1) they keep it as is and slowly phase it out; 2) they upgrade to the new 8.3L version as found in the 2003 Viper; 3) they drop it and replace it with the rumoured (and much more powerful) 6.1L HEMI (based on the 5.7L design).

This new generation of motors will have a number of versions as they will show up in the next generation of LH models codenamed LX (ie: 300M, Intrepid, Concorde - renamed the New Yorker). These cars will be available with the 3.5L V6, 4.7L V8 and in some instances the 5.7L HEMI (ie: the new 300M). These cars will be rear drive and will have some Mercedes parts incl. transmissions, stability aids, electronics...

As an aside: the old generation of Magnum engines (3.9L/5.2L/5.9L) will still be offered on the Dodge Ram Vans and Wagons until the vehicles are eliminated sometime next year; the old 3.9L V6 and 5.9L V8 will still be offered on the Dakota until it's redesign in a year or so.
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    a TSB 21-11-97 deals with that reverse buzz problem transmission problem . The tsb lists necessary dodge parts and how to do the job
  • Options
    dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    As someone who had this TSB done last May, I expected it to fix the problem. My 2001 1500 was back at the local dealer for the same symptoms this week. Dealer heard the noise, but doesn't know what else to do besides the TSB. Calling Chrysler directly generated more of "I don't know".

Dealer's advice-watch the fluid for anything unusual and do the 30k mile service.

Dave Huber
  • Options
    akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Would you be the same Dave Huber who was stationed in Hawaii circa '77 to '81? If so...
    WhereareyaHowareyaWhatchadoinNow?
    See profile for email address...
  • Options
    'Fraid not....I would have been seven years old.

Although a trip to Hawaii sounds nice...:-)

Dave Huber-Pendleton, Oregon
  • Options
    akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Over twenty years in the Navy, I met a lot of good folks. Lost track of most of them.
    Thanks for the response.

Umm, oh yeah.. Got to watch those new Trucks for longevity. Must have a preference for those WaterCooler Meeting conversations... ;-)
  • Options
    prmartin1prmartin1 Member Posts: 14
    I've noticed that after my 6000 mile service that I'm getting rough idle (warm or cold). Could this be related to rev. surging debated earlier in the thread, or is this something else. I've seen some threads at www.moparchat.com where they say it mught be the spark plugs.

Thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    prmartin1,

is your truck the 5.9l gas engine? if so, all i can say is that every 360 cube equipped ram (including one i leased in 97-98) i've been in or ridden in idles roughly. seems to be the nature of the beast...
  • Options
    jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    since I have been here. I just got caught up on the problems some of you are having. I want to report that I have had my 02 Quad 4.7 Auto since March and now have over 15,000 miles on it. I have experienced no major problems with the truck.

Here is all I have noticed since March:
    -Condensation inside the left taillight assembly
    -Exterior mirrors vibrate
    -A weird buzz when I put her in reverse. It always goes backward so I assume the buzz is just a cool sound affect.

This is still the best vehicle I have ever owned. Solid and dependable for me. I'll bet there are many more of you out there with many more good things to say than bad.

Good luck to all of you who are having problems. Keep us posted in case it happens to those of us who have none.
  • Options
    trg50trg50 Member Posts: 1
    Hello to everyone. First time here. I own a 2001 1500 5.9 Sport Quad cab. Bought her brand new, now has 76K miles. Great truck, love it. want to see if anyone has had the same problem as I have. At 61K miles the check engine light came on, has been to the dealer 14 times for check engine light. They (dealer ship mechanics) keep telling me that all the codes that keep showing, have something to do with some type of vacuum problem. They have replaced almost all of the vac. line hoses, emmisons canister, manifold gaskets, PCM, they have gone into the engine, replaced gas cap, and last time they replaced the gas tank. The check engine light always comes back on, two to three days after I pick it up from the shop. I have stopped taking it back to the dealer and am trying to find out if anyone is having/or has had this problem and maybe fix it myself with some help from someone out there. My truck runs great, doesn't miss, rattle or anything, just that darn light. The truck averages 15 to 16 miles to a gal. on the freeway, 13.5 to 14.5 in the city, and 12 to 13 when pulling the fishing boat.
    Any help would really be appreciated.
  • Options
    If your truck seem to be running ok just pull the bulb out and it will never come on again!!
    My mechanic did that to my 87 Caravan. He said that that light didn't really let you know when there was a problem but they seemed to come on after 60K miles.
    Don't Know if those lights are indicators or not but the codes will still be set for problems.
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I was hoping that doing the tsb would help. Oh well .....How long did it take to do ?
  • Options
    Truck was in to the dealer twice-once to diagnose, waited a week for parts to arrive, then in again for another whole day.

Dave
  • Options
    caugustacaugusta Member Posts: 6
    95 RAM 1500 SLT 2WD reg cab longbed 5.2 auto 92k miles purchased today. At cold start the oil pressure seems fine but as it warms, the oil light lights and the pressure gauge drops from the middle TO ZERO like it was unplugged. I thought some foolish electronic issue but then the lifters begin to click and CLick and CLICK. If I shut it down and wait 20 minutes or so the lifters will get quieter but then start soon after. I think there is something in the pan that might be clogging the pickup. I bought it cheaply as is and I'm sure this is nothing major. Is there known problems with the pump? And if so can I get the pan off without removing the crossmember (again 2WD)? Also, I noticed someone else was requesting issues with the ABS and brake lights lit. Mine does this too.

Chris
  • Options
    I would agree that a semi-clogged oil screen is a potential candidate. You might also consider that the oil pump components are worn. This would produce similar symptoms.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • Options
    smd1500smd1500 Member Posts: 1
    After 1 week of owning my 2002 1500 QC I noticed that the left side was riding lower (1") than the right. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so they adjusted the torsion bars to make it more level. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what will the long term effects of adjusting my torsion bars be?
  • Options
    caugustacaugusta Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Dusty. We called the Dodge dealer today and they are out of oil pumps. He stated that he has sold three in the past two weeks. Do you know if I can get the pan off without having to jack up the engine?
  • Options
    smd1500,

adjusting the torsion bars won't hurt anything. there is nothing wrong with your truck. i almost always have mine adjusted on the driver's side because that is where i sit and also the side where the gas tank is...and therefore after short time that side tends to sag a bit compared to the passenger side.
  • Options
    I don't know. I've had a pan off of a early seventies D100 with the 318. We loosened the motor mounts and jacked the engine up to get the pan off. Whether this can be done with newer Dodge trucks, I'm not sure.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • Options
    cwo2ltcwo2lt Member Posts: 4
    I reviewed all the posts on this board but haven't seen this problem. Am I the only one who has wheel hop and vibration at hwy speed?
    I have an 02 reg cab LWB 4x4, 4.7 auto. I first noticed the problem with less than 200 miles on the truck. I now have approx 1100. When going around curves and hitting a bump the back end wants to pass the front end! Took it to 2 dealers and the solutions are 1. It's normal, but if you put a camper shell on it goes away! That came from the STAR(?) guy in Detroit who has the same truck and problem. 2. Tire pressure too low, bump up to 50 psi (Tires are 275/17s)3. Tire pressure is too high, drop to 35 psi.
    Higher pressure is better but not by much, haven't bought a camper shell yet!
    The service manager at Metro Chrystler has been very good about this. He agrees the ride stinks but the big boys in Detroit say this is normal, is it? He thinks there might be a shock mis-match, has anyone put on after market shocks to solve this?
    Any input would be welcome. I haven't made a payment yet and I don't know if I should keep the truck or not.
  • Options
    sounds normal to me. unladen trucks do tend to hop a little sideway on sharp bumps...altho some are worse than others. my 99 ranger was horrible, but my '02 supercrew does it only once in a great while.
  • Options
    cwo2ltcwo2lt Member Posts: 4
    Thanks emale but this is a little worse. I've had 4x4s before and none have riden like this. I expect a rough ride but this is bordering on out of control and the truck is uncomfortable to ride in.
  • Options
    loganlerouxloganleroux Member Posts: 1
    ok, heres the deal, I just picked up a 97 Ram 2500, the day I got it the tranny started acting up, it wouldent shift unless I let go of the accelerator, if I hit the gas down, it wouldent kickdown, the rpm's would just jump up and the truck would lose speed. in addition to this I couldent get the truck above 120 kmh. after a big fight with the dealer I picked it up from they took it back and had it checked out. I was told it was the overdrive sensor, which they fixed. but two days later it started doing the same thing. any suggestions or comments?

the truck has the 5.9, towing package, extended cab and 6ft box. It also seems to have a dealer installed lift. 98000 km on it.
  • Options
    I have an 02 1500 QC short bed 4.7l 2wd. I have had the wheel hop also. Used to have a 96 Clubcab 1500 2wd and that one did not do it. There are several posts about this on dodgetruck.org, pickuptruck.com, and the NHTSA site. I have gotten used to it, but the first couple of times it really suprised me! The new steering is so precise, that if you jerk it back (i was used to the old 96) it will help you pass ends!!! I've found not to correct when this happens and it settles right down. Is it a problem? I think it is more characteristic of a truck. If you have about 150lbs of stuff or more in the bed it does not happen. I remember my aunt had an 1980 f150 4wd with all the heavy duty suspension, handling package, blah, blah and it did the same thing.
    I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, but merely what my experience with it has been.
    Steve
  • Options
    I think the side ways wheel hop has a lot to do with the new steering rack also. As 02ramman said it is so precise. I had a 01 QC and the hop was a truck hop but with this 02 QC the steering exaggerates the hop all the more. After the suspension loosens and you get more comfortable with the rack and pinion steering it won't shock you as much but for the first few times it will almost make you wet your pants!!
  • Options
    jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I have noticed this also. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4, 4.7L engine with 3.92 and 20 inch wheels.

It really only happens to me on a sharp turn, where there also happens to be a bump in the road, on a particular off ramp I take frequently. I learned, don't try to correct, just keep the steering wheel as if nothing happened, and you ll head straight down the road, no problem at all.

The rack & pinion steering along with the 20inch wheels makes for a VERY NICE handling truck, especially for a 4x4 that sits up higher than any other stock pickup
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I just learned something new today about the Dodge 3/36,000 warranty. If your serpentine drive belt goes out during the bumper to bumper warranty period they will replace it free.
    Last week my truck developed an upper engine thump and after a little troubleshooting I found a 1" section of the belt had peeled, I looked in my maintenance records in the back of the owners manual and it did not say to inspect and replace the belt until 60,000 miles so out of curiosity I called the service department today and they said that under the 3year 36,000 mile warranty they will replace it tomorrow for free. If nothing else it saves me 50 bucks and the hassle of wrestling a new belt on.
  • Options
    anvil7anvil7 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 QC 4x2 4.7 has not had a good start. Last week dropped a cylinder on the way home. Had towed to dealer. They found broken rocker arm. After I picked it up, has a rattle or ping while accelerating especially when going up a mild hill such as an onramp. Took it back this morning and they said "normal". Unacceptable. Truck is 4 weeks old with 1300 miles. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • Options
    slick1ru2slick1ru2 Member Posts: 6
    Just got a 2003 1500 Quad Cab SLT. This was not the vehicle I test drove. I test drove a ST that had less options and did not notice a vibration. Anyway, it has 69 miles on it now and I noticed driving home a vibration in the seat. Returned to the dealer and they said it was 1/2oz off in the wheel balancing. Drove home, same problem to lesser extent but this time used the Interstate and on the ramp hit a bump and the rear end bounced over. Reading this I see I have to live with it until a TSB is issued or someone is killed because of it. :( Anyway, it is a much better truck in many ways then the 2001 Quad Cab I traded.
  • Options
    richiebrichieb Member Posts: 4
    I believe the sideways hop is caused by the new frame and suspension(vs. Pre-2002). Dodge has always strived for the largest payload in the 1/2 ton market and has the stiffest springs. The springs are to stiff given the weight of the truck. Over bumps the old frame would basically twist helping to absorb the tire motion over the bump, making up for the lack of motion in the suspension springs. The new frame is hydro formed and much stiffer, there is no give to it and the tires bounce off bumps now instead of riding over them thus losing contact with the road momentarily. Also the new front suspension seems to sit a little lower than before. I parked my 2001 next to a 2002 and the new truck does not sit level, the tail sticks up, thus exaggerating the weight transfer when the rear end bounces of a bump compounding the sudden loss of traction. Check your tire pressure as well and run at the lower limit in the owners manual, I have heard the hop is worse with the larger tires (20") as they have shorter sidewall therefore less give. Sometimes to much of a good thing is not so good.
  • Options
    jhi911jhi911 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 Ram 1500 QC 2WD SB with the 20" wheels. Bought it as a demo with 5K. At 11K, I had to turn the front rotors. Dealer did not want to help since "it's your fault, you're too hard on the brakes." My driving is mostly interstate, and I try to go easy on the brakes. Who knows how it was driven in the first 5K. I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with brakes/rotors. I think the big 20's may have something to do with it...big heavy truck, big heavy wheel, maybe not enough brake even though these new Rams have 4-whl. disc.
    By the way, I am also feeling the same scary wheel hop and the terrible MPG that everyone else seems to be discussing!
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Dodge went from having the smallest brakes to the largest in it's class. There is no way that under normal driving you should have to turn the rotors in 11K miles. I think that your dealer has done a disservice by turning away this warrantee claim.
  • Options
    I found that a few warped rotor problems are from using impact guns to torque the wheels. Have you ever had the wheels off yourself? You can try to remove the wheels with the tire change kit your vehicle came with. If it is torqued properly it should come off relatively easy. If you end up bending/breaking the tool someone has put them on with an impact wrench and IT WILL warp your rotors! I invested in a torque wrench and only take it to one tire place because they never use the impact gun to "torque" the lug nuts. Had a 96 that took two people and a three foot breaker bar to get the wheels off. Ended up replacing five studs and lug nuts..... Glad it didn't happen to me on the road!
    Anyway, just a suggestion. I've had no problems with my 02 QC 1500 brakes warping and am at 13,000 miles (but only have 17 inch wheels)
    Steve
  • Options
    muro214muro214 Member Posts: 1
    Since I purchased my truck I've had to return to the dealer 4 times for problems. The first problem I had was the master Cylinder had to be replaced because of leaks. Then the passenger mirror came off it's joint for no reason. Then the power steering had to have a hose replaced due to it having a hole that was there since I've had it. And the latest, the transmission was making a loud whining noise every time I put it in reverse. I took it to the dealer and now the transmission pump needs to be replaced.

Anyone out there had any of these problems. for those thinking of buying a new Ram I don't suggest getting the new RAM, My ram dousent even have 6000 miles and it's already falling apart.
  • Options
    i just was on the dodge.com site and compared a regular cab '02 ram 4x4 lwb with its ford and chevy counterparts. the ram's payload is 100 pounds less than the ford and 300 less than the chevy's!!

so, i don't think you can blame wheel hop on dodge having the stiffest rear springs!!
  • Options
    ........is not the sole factor in determining spring weight. If you subtract the rated payload from the Gross Vehicle Weight rating, you will get the approximate weight of the vehicle. The springs need to support not only the payload, but also the unladen weight of the truck:

(V6 models)

Dodge RAM 1500 LWB - Payload 1,850; GVW 6550=4550

Chevy Silverado LWB - Payload 2,189; GVW 6400=4211

Dusty
This discussion has been closed.