Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• harryiharryi Member Posts: 10
    It's probably because Dodge has a warranty 7/70 and the other two only offer 3/36 so they dont care how much you tow they figure by the time it blows up they won't have any interest in the vehicle anymore because the warranty will be up....lol Harry
  • psrampsram Member Posts: 7
    thanks alot for your answer jbranca. I had given up on some one knowing that answer. THe wierd thing is that the light out problem hasnt turned on for a while but i am taking the truck in today because the drivers door handle isnt working. I dont know what happened to it but it doesnt work.. Good thing the truck is still under warranty. Now that I know that its the rear lights I can tell them to check those.

On the tranny flush, hey I am all for making the tranny work and last longer. I have 16000 miles on it, so I dont know if I should wait till I change the oil on tranny. What do you think. That oil that you used in your flush where did you purchase it? Thanks in advance
  • lralstonlralston Member Posts: 9
    Well Cujo, have you pursued the lemon law avenue for your vibration issue or has your dealer tried a fix? I agree it is a front end vibration, feel it mainly in the steering wheel.Am going to start playing with front tire pressure, start at 55PSI and work my way up in 2.5 lb increments to 70PSI .Am curious if it will make a difference. If it helps I'll let you know.
  • mettechmettech Member Posts: 28
    LOL.. You may be right harryi...
  • dadshemi66dadshemi66 Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a 2500 5.9 turbo 600 diesel. Auto 4x4. only 1000 miles I noticed at around 67-77 mph there is a vibration in the body, Not a tire vibration. However, I talked with my dealer and he states that Chrysler is working the issue. If I hit 80mph it seems to settle down. Has anyone else run in to this issue or is my dealer blowing smoke? I Just want to make sure The Vibration does not cause damage down the road.
  • mlestermlester Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about harry's problem, but how about a 2003 quad 4.7 engine with 23,000 mils that blew the oil filter off on the highway?

Not even a burp up until that point!

Anyone heard of this?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Yes, this is a known issue, and DC is indeed working on it. It doesn't affect all trucks, so will likely be a TSB instead of a recall - unless it's something major causing it.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • sphipps1sphipps1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all, I have a 04 Quad 1500 4.7l with 5 speed trans automatic I paid $1000.00 plus for as an option. When taking off slow on several occasions but not all the time I notice a jerk (rough shift so it seems) when shifting between 15-20 mphs. Rest of the way is fine and happens here and there. I hear about trans problems in the past and wondering what this may be. Thanks for any insight...
  • ronramronram Member Posts: 2
    Have you received any anwsers to your problem? I am having a similair one with my 1999 Ram 1500 5.2L.It starts and idle perfect, but the minute I put it in gear it cut-off. If you receive any answer please forward them to me and I will do the same for you. thanks
  • ronramronram Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Ram 1500 5.2lt that just cut-off for an unknown reason. It will start and idle perfect, but the minute that I put it in gear it cuts-off. The only way to keep running is to give it alot of gas, and then it doesn't have any kind of power. It will also cut-off when I stop. Can anyone help.
  • helionehelione Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 ram 2500 w/HEMI, time to change the tranny fluid, the autoparts guys told me in addition to the sump filter they showed the need for a in line spin on for the cooler. I can't find any spin on filter for the tranny, am I just missing it or do the autoparts guys have bad info? Does anyone have a suggestion where I can get a repair manual--Chiltons doesn't show having one for the yr, make, model I need. Thanks for any help!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    For the manual, check post #1338 and #1341.
  • wildbillywildbilly Member Posts: 1
    hello, got a 98 ram 3500 with a 5.9 cummins and auto trany, got a issue with the fuel shut off, when you are driving it will stall like the fuel is getting shut off and coming back on, took it to cummins they said it is a chrysler problem got code 211, any ideas, solutions, don't want to spend alot more money to get fixed but I don't know where to start looking.
    Thank you
  • nattannattan Member Posts: 4
    i also have a 02 1500 quad sport and it wanders also have not heard of any secret warranties yet
  • drew01drew01 Member Posts: 1
    01 ram 2500 4x4, quad cab 5.9 Cummins, SLT laramie,128,000 miles. I bought the truck yesterday, and now have a problem starting. I filled the tank and after driving an hour, I tried to start it and it would turn over, but wouldn't crank. I called a friend, he said open a valve beside the fuel filter and let it drain a bit with the ignition on, start it and close the valve, then let it run for 5 or 10 minutes. He said maybe water was in the line. It still has trouble starting and I'm having to repeat this valve opening process. This is my first diesel, I don't know anything about them yet. Any advise you could give me on this would be very helpful. Thanks guys.
  • david50david50 Member Posts: 1
    I've recently bought a 97 Dodge Ram with only 30,000 miles. Truck runs great except once you hit 50 mph the truck shakes, clicks, and seem to be miss firing, resulting in the engine check light to go on. I've replaced the plugs and wires but no change. Anyone care to guess what the problem is.
    Could be one or more of a couple of dozen things, so guessing would probably be futile. However, when the 'check' light comes on the computer sets a code. Have the code read, and you're on your way to solving the problem.
  • adam1adam1 Member Posts: 7
    well this weekend i was getting into my truck started it up, turned on the A/C shut the door and my back window shattered into thousands of little pieces was wondering if anyoine knows of or heard anything about this happening or is it just mine.

i think it might have been vandalized bbut i didnt notice anything was wrong with the window, then again i didn't look the truck up and down when i got in it.

thanks, adam
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just gut feeling, but I doubt that the A/C being on really had anything to do with it. I know it probably FEELS like closing the door "blew out" the window, but I don't think that's possible even if the glass were cracked. More likely the rear window was stressed and the impact/vibration of the door closing was enough to make it let go. I had something in the same ballpark on a truck in the late 80's. There was a crack in the windshield on the lot, but I saw no problem as long as the dealer replaced it, which they did. Well, about 10 days later, the windshield cracked again, and this time they looked closer at the situation. Turns out the windshield opening was just slightly out of shape, which put a lot of stress on the glass. The vibration and stress of drving the truck was enough to eventually crack the glass. Was this a fixed or movable rear window?
  • redlionmdwredlionmdw Member Posts: 1
    This probably won't help, but I am experiencing the same thing. It started with an occasional sputter about a week ago. Now my 97 RAM 5.2L does it once per minute, espesically after about 5 miles. I am going to look at replacing the fuel pump since I've read a few sites that suggest this. Another site said 100K-120K miles is the lifespan of the pump and my truck is at 122K. Good luck to both of us!
    -Matt
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Unless you have a tank full of water, you shouldn't need to drain the fuel filter every time. I have not had to drain my 96 Cummins once. You may want to look inside your air cleaner, though. If that has any water in it, it's getting sucked straight into your engine. If that's dry, your next things to check are batteries and wiring. These engines need every CCA from both batteries to start smoothly, so if even one of them is weak, the electrical equipment will operate (radio, HVAC, locks/windows), but the engine will not turn over.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • sphipps1sphipps1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all, I have a 04 Quad 1500 4.7l with 5 speed trans automatic I paid $1000.00 plus for as an option. When taking off slow on several occasions but not all the time I notice a jerk (rough shift so it seems) when shifting between 15-20 mphs. Rest of the way is fine and happens here and there. I hear about trans problems in the past and wondering what this may be. Thanks for any insight...
  • rabbit3rabbit3 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem same engine its in to be rectified now have already replaced pump main battery terminal had jets sonic cleaned new voltage regulator there was a slight fuel distribution inbalance from one side of engine to other not shown on engine check full electrical investigation under way today will let you know the out come ihope this might save you the cost of the above not needed
  • ltfingersltfingers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 1500 with the 360 mag. Just had new oil pump and pickup installed. Now I have 40 psi at idle and when engine hits 2000 rpm pressure drops to 0 psi. This totally blows my mind knowing how an oil pump functions. Moore rpm's should gain you a little pressure even with a bad pump or bearings. I need help plz?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    You likely have a restriction problem, either the pick-up tube is loose on the oil pump housing or the oil pump mounting gasket was mis-installed.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • keoggekeogge Member Posts: 2
    check your sending unit. It happened to me and I replaced it and it worked fine.
  • keoggekeogge Member Posts: 2
    My 96 Ram 1500 quad-cab 5.6ltr will not turn over first thing in the morning. If I hold the key in the start position for a sec or two and relese and then start it it will start. It works fine all day long as well. Seems to do it when it is cold out any where from 3degs to -1 and lower. the clolder it is the worst it is. ANy ideas out there?
  • cparrycparry Member Posts: 2
    had this same problem with a pick-up i had...when it wont start, try taking a pair of jumper cables and running one of them from the negative post on the battery to a ground. if this works, then your battery ground is bad..hope this helps...this drove me batty for a month before someone told me to do that.
  • cparrycparry Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 ram 5.9 ...doing EXACTLY the same thing...had it at the dealer more time that ive had it...had both O2 sensors replaced 5 times, head replaced, intake gasket, still does it...they are now telling me, $2000 later, that it is a wiring problem. also had a ground wire replaced that goes to the PCM with no luck. If you find out what the problem is, PLEASE let me know. I am ready to torch the damn thing(not really but it sure sounds good some times)
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    between Goodyear (the tires on my Crown Vic) and Michelin, the tires on my 2005 Ram 1500...when my Ford was new, I drove into Goodyear, and, for about $75, I was able to purchase the roadhazard warranty to cover me in case I punctured a tire or any other kind of damage...2 days ago, my wife drove over a large spike and punctured the tire on the Ram, so I went to a local tire dealer, NTB, and when I ordered a new Michelin tire, I asked about a similar roadhazard protection, and I was told that it could only be placed on the new tire I was buying, not the others...not a happy camper, was I...
  • turbo04turbo04 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a new 2004 w/ the Cummins. I aslo experienced a "burning, almost sweet" ordor as well. Servive manager said it was probably paint, undercoat, or "newmess" burning off. It has 3000 miles on it now and still experience it. Just took it in to have it checked out and no one could pick up on it while it was there, although I could. My nose isnt THAT sensitive. A 3rd mechanic looked at it and noticed it faintly. He chalked it up to the catalytic converter, which have recently being installed in the the newer models (?).
    Others have noticed it as well w/ my truck. Would punching through the coverter be a solution, and would doing so create any other issues to be concerned with?
  • turbo04turbo04 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a new 2004 w/ the cummins. I have noticed a "burning, almost sweet" odor both inside and out of the cabin. Its not the brakes or clutch, as I've noticed it when just warming it up prior to a trip. Dealer said it was the "newness" burning off - paint, undercoat, grease,etc. Thats cool. No problem.
    That was 2500 miles ago. Took it back in this week. No one but me could smell it. Finally, someone suggested perhaps the catalytic converter could be the culprit, as they are now installing them on the cummins. Any harm in "punching out" the converter? Anyone else have this problem?
  • mrbillmrbill Member Posts: 31
    Well, I figured I’d make a comment on a relatively minor but annoying “shudder” sound/feeling from under the cab when turning the wheel at low speeds or especially backing up. After some trial and error, I found one of the rubber mounts (hanger) holding the muffler to the frame had the bottom hole either too large or stretched (??) where the muffler side hanger was rather loose, essentially allowing the muffler to vibrate against the rubber mount. This resulted in the sound I was hearing. I shimmed the hole and low and behold the problem was solved. No more “shudder”.
    This might be unique to me (defective rubber hangar) but I felt like posting here today..
    FWIW – No other problems, no squeaks, rattles or swaying of suspension, love the truck. Even mileage is averaging mid 18’s for highway commutes
    R/
    ahasher
  • cowboycadicowboycadi Member Posts: 5
    You can only add roadhazard at NTB right after you purchase the vehicle, because they gauge replacement cost on how much tread is left.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Thanks for the info, but they are obviously new tires and the odo reads 3100...they can easily tell they are new tires...
  • garlicboygarlicboy Member Posts: 1
    I HAD SAME PROBLEM ALONG WITH O/D LIGHT THE TRANS TEMP LIGHT WOULD COME ON TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND IT NEEDED TO HAVE A COMPUTER UPGRADE DONE AT DEALER NO CHARGE. IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
  • ristbwristbw Member Posts: 1
    My son has an '01 Dodge Ram 1500....while driving a few weeks ago, the truck made a clicking noise, then the overdrive quit. Then the truck wouldn't move at all. After being parked for a while, he needed to move it into the garage, started it and it shifted fine. He drove it up the road a bit for a test, when it warmed up, it quit moving again. We would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem...don't think it is the transmission since it does go when cool....could this be the torque converter or what? Thanks for any help.....
  • hawksredhawksred Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8 not 5.9, my engine light came on and my computer is giving me fault codes 0440 & 0441, I replaced the gas cap and have driven through 4 tanks of fuel and still the light is on. OK my question is how do I reset this or do I have another issue. I checked all my vacuum hoses and found none to be cracked or loose. Any Help on this matter?
  • dgossjrdgossjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2500 4x4 that needs ball joints after 30k miles. Is this common with the Quad Cabs? The reason I am asking is that this truck has worn out 2 sets of tires in the last 15K miles. I have been to 2 different dealers for a total of 13 times to no avail... Any body had a similar experience. thanks..
  • dodge2dodge2 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem for a short time, i noticed it first when i gased up, the TPS is a throttle postion sensor..try that first, disconnect it at the carb and clean the connector, a lot of times a bad connections is the problem..there are three different sensors on the carb, all are easy to change yourself,dont cost alot and will probly cure the problem...I run a KN air system and were i live it gets cold cold, i added heat to my tank thinking carb ice with that much air going in at -40f it worked???but sounds like a sensor is going out or bad connection..woth a try..
  • dpcooneydpcooney Member Posts: 1
    Hope someone can help. I have a 1995 dodge ram with a bad left front hub bearing seal. Haynes manual tells me to take it to a garage because this requires special tools, and chiltons mentions several different types of axles and tools required. I would like to repair this myself. Any tips or actual tools needed would be helpful.
    I like to use the Factory Service Manual rather than Haynes, Chiltons etc. You can access it for $25 @ year. Check posts #1338 and #1341 for more information.
  • lrockbluelrockblue Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 diesel 3500. I am not getting any sound from the speakers. The radio was working fine until I pulled the dash to change the heater core. Heres what I know: The radio works fine in another vehicle, I ohmed out the connections for the radio. all speakers ohm out. I have power on Battery and Accessory wire. I do have the black wire with blue stripe hooked to tabs on back of radio. This goes to ground but I understand it is used to turn on the internal amp? All components in the radio come on, clock, cd, stations, etc. Just no sound! Pleas help.
  • harryiharryi Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the suggestion Dodge2 i'll give that a try, its driving me crazy other than that runs great, Thanks again appreciate it
    Harryi
  • alliedallied Member Posts: 1
    We had an accident with a 1995 Dodge 2500... the ball joint broke off on the left front suspension, causing the wheel to fall off. The driver lost control and the vehicle then crossed over into oncoming traffic. No one was seriously hurt.

The vehicle had been purchased 8 months earlier and had a Safety Inspection done at that time. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Was this a problem with the 2500?
  • travisttravist Member Posts: 1
    Hi Harry,My name is travis and i also have a 97 ram 1500 and it does the exact same thing as yours did. As soon as i let off the gas it dies on me, then again sometimes it will go a year between problems. I was wondering if you had anyone reply to your problem or if you had to take it in to a mechanic. If you could pass along the cure for this aggravating problem i would really appreaciate it. My e-mail is tatomison@comcast.net. thank you very much.
  • olson99olson99 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 ram 1500 with 130000 miles, it started last summer overheating whenever it went up hills, never getting to the red in the guage but getting very close, i've changed the water pump, the thermostat and flushed the radiator, still has the problem does anyone have a solution or have gone through this same problem?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Yes, I've seen this symptom many times. If you've flushed the cooling system my first suspect would be the radiator. You could have a problem with the transmission overheating the coolant, but that's pretty rare on a Mopar in my experience. A semi-blocked catalytic converter can do the same thing, but you'd also notice a loss of power.

Check the radiator for any signs of loose or corroded cooling fins. There shouldn't be any. If so my bet is the radiator is bad.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • olson99olson99 Member Posts: 3
    that was my dad's guess he thought that it might need a bigger radiator instead of the stock one.
  • shinglewhoreshinglewhore Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE AN 04.5 RAM 2500 ,6" LIFT 37" BFG'S ,IT HAS A VIBRATION STARTING AT 60 MPH THAT DISAPPEARS AT 70 MPH. DOESN'T DO IT WITH OVERDRIVE DISENGAGED.FEELS LIKE IM DRIVING ON VIBRATION STRIPS.
This discussion has been closed.