Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• asalasasalas Member Posts: 5
    Ok.. I shall be patient. I was driving my truck today. And I may not be a mechanic but I really think it could be the fuel pump. Only because when I go to turn it on after being parked all day, it stalls a little like it wants to turn on and after a couple of seconds it turns on like if the fuel is not flowing properly.
    And the day that it turned off on me it was choking and I pumped the gas pedal hoping to keep it on but it, seemed like it was trying to but finally it died.
    Now if it was electrical, such as the crank sensor wouldn't it have shut off right there and then without putting up a fight and acting as if it was going to stay on.
    Hope this makes sense... really appreciate your advice.

• kilsterkilster Member Posts: 55
    If i had to guess i would say fuel pump myself, but its a expensive guess. The next time it dies you can try what i have to do from time to time. If it doesnt start, crawl under the gas tank and hit the bottom of the tank a couple of times with your hand or hammer. Sometimes it will get the pump started again if that is what is bad.
    I went back a year and found for 1998 it used fuse B in the PDC for the flashers, and 2000 it uses Fuse 4 in the PDC. Its possible that your truck is an early or late build for 99. If all the fuses check out its possible it's a bad mulitfuction switch.
    the only replacement i know of is from a dealer. cost is somewhere between $800-$900 for the replacement part I would try a salvage yard and see if the cant find one for you. I believe 1998-2001 are the same. Just different colors.
    I think you need to try a new dealer. I have seen a few problems in the fuel system with the Injectors but its not always related to bad fuel. I think your dealer doesnt want to fix it or they dont know how. Why would you want to "idle the truck about 3500" The redline on a diesel is about 3200 anyway. If you just hold it to the floor it will hit the rev limit and the tach will jump around.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Yep! The newer replacement connectors have a different type of connector material that seal much better than the originals.

Regards,
    Dusty
    As Mac said, what you're seeing is the Tone Ring. This acts as the reluctor for the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. This sensor is used to operate the ABS.

If you've found a lot of gray (or is it "grey") silt on everything inside the differential housing, and this is the first time the differential has ever been maintained or inspected, this is normal. I suspect you might have a limited slip differential, the gray material being primarily limited slip clutch material. When changing rear differential fluid, I flush everything out. Replenishing with new gear oil will be beneficial, but you'll still have a lot of silt floating around in the housing.

If the noise is heard predominantly when you are coasting down in gear, I would suspect either the front or rear pinion bearing is galled and likely the issue. This is especially a suspect if the whine is high pitched.

If the noise goes away when the transmission is put into neutral at the speed you hear the noise, the problem could be low rear differential fluid, expended fluid, incorrect gear backlash, or worn pinion, ring, or side gears.

I hope this is still under warranty for you. In my experience rear differential noise is only temporarily resolved by replacing parts. I've seen a number of these differential housings that had improperly machined pinion offset

Check back with us and let us know what fixed it.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ricjohnricjohn Member Posts: 1
    Hello...My 2005 HEMII has exactly the same problem. They have changed the power steering pump but that didn't fix it. Has anyone else run into this low vibration problem??? Any fixes??

Thanks
  • ramprincessramprincess Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 dodge ram sport . i have been noticing a very loud pinging and rattling sound in my truck. it gets worse as i go up a hill.i was told its the gas i was using but not sure if that is right. what is this coming from and how can i fix it?
  • retirdtechretirdtech Member Posts: 4
    Hey I was a tech for a 11 yrs sounds like you could be right how many miles and where do you live types of fuel affect these things ethanol etc. also it could be ignition modual when it did die did you test for spark ? Its been a while and I dont have all my books now so Im not sure if it has both a cam sensor and crank sensor like a lot of GM's
  • chiefbfdchiefbfd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 2500 with a cumming in the last three years the dash instruments have gone dead four times and all the warning lights have come on each time the dealer has worked on it and could not find the trouble before it would clear up on it own. They replacing the cluster and the main control unit. The truck runs OK just I don't know how fast I'm going or how much fuel I have.
  • farmer1952farmer1952 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with dealers/manufacturer not performing warranty work for fuel injectors on 2004. I have a 2004 with 32,000 miles. It was starting a little funny, took it to the dealer. They kept it a week and changed a fuel injector. Picked it up and it was worse. Took it back they said it needed all new fuel injectors, pump, and other parts for $5K not covered under warranty. Took it to another dealer they said $10K still not covered. Condensation in fuel rusted injectors. Shouldn't a warranty cover that?
    I think what you are describing is called Spark Knock. A higher octane fuel will help but not fix it. I think you have a leaking manifold gasket, and is sucking oil into the intake. If you remove your air cleaner and open up your throttle blades, with a flash light you can look down into the intake and see if it is full of oil. There is also a PCM Update that helps with the issue but a dealer will have to do that for you, but you should fix the intake gasket first.
    If I was you, I would call Daimler/Chrysler and talk with them. I think alot of dealers are trying not to cover it under warranty because they dont want to do the work or dont know how to fix it correctly. I've been fixing about 1 truck every other week and only have had to decline warranty on 1 but it was for other reasons. Unless there is alot of water,condensation, or trash, it should be covered under warranty. Hope with will help you some, good luck.
  • schmedlyschmedly Member Posts: 44
    As Kilster mentioned, it could be the plenum gasket. If it is you are using oil now a lot more than before. If you are not using oil, that is not likely the problem. Another thing that frequently causes pinging is carbon build up. There are 2 relatively inexpensive ways to clean some of it out. One is to use some techron fuel injector cleaner. A better way is to get a can of Sea Foam from NAPA and follow the instructions either on the can or website. You want to use the method where the can of Sea Foam is poured into the intake thru a vacuum hose. You will want to change your oil and filter a couple days later also.
  • 2002ram15002002ram1500 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem, I'm really close to going to the stealer :-(
    Have you gotten anywhere fixing your problem?

I have good voltage everywhere I can check, I also have no front parking lights either................headlights & foglights are OK, so are the blinkers, hazards, and brake lights.

Thanks in Advance

The parking lights are controlled by starting at the 50amp fuse #15, and then to the parking light relay #73, then to fuse #32 & #34.
    Looking at a wiring diagram you have all the right fuses, if you jump the relay do the lights work? The Relay is controlled by the Front control Module, Its the little box connected to the Fuse/PDC Box on the end. If you can jump the relay and all works i would have to say the module could be the problem, assuming that the module gets its input from the Light Switch and the switch is okay.
  • ram100ram100 Member Posts: 6
    I have a problem that has been bothering me for a while now and I can't seem to pin point it. Every time I am driving over 45 mph, my steering wheel is a lot easier to move to the right than left. It is very noticeable, obviously, because I constantly have to correct my steering just to stay straight. If I let go of the steering wheel, it drives as straight as can be on a flat road. In order to get my truck to turn to the right, I have to turn my steering wheel about 5-8 Degrees further before my wheels turn that direction than if I turned left. My wheels move instantly when I move left of center but takes about an inch before the wheels starts to move to the right. Anyway, now for what I have changed...I have replaced the track bar, steering gearbox, steering dampener and have had it aligned twice. I checked out my pitman arm where it attaches to my drag link/tie-rod and the intersection seems tight. My tie rods seem tight also and I just don't know what to do. This is driving my crazy and is amplified 10X when traveling over 100 miles. The fatigue is a killer and totally wears me out. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Sounds a lot like what my husband's 99 Ram 3500 did when we first got it (bought used). Ended up being a bad steering gear box, I guess they are pretty notorious for that issue. Might want to check there.
    Was the gear box you installed new?

Although I wouldn't say this is a common occurrence, when I hear of this symptom a gear box is always the reason. On your vintage RAM Dodge uses a Saginaw gearbox that is almost identical to the ones used on GM products. And, yes, they have the same kind of problem on those, too. (Of course, on Fords the sector shafts wear!)

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • dmarkledmarkle Member Posts: 1
    All I get is cold air from heater ports regardless of where thermostat is set in the cab. Plenty of air, but cold. Feels like heater core is getting plenty of hot water, just not getting air over the coil. Not sure where to look.
    Dustyk,

Well, I bought the steering gearbox at Advanced auto about 3 months ago. It is a remanufactured box and I bought it because it was $175.00 verses the $789.00 I was quoted at the Dodge dealer. I guess you "Do" get what you pay for. If this is the Saginaw that I have installed, what gearbox should I buy to fix this? By the way, thanks for the quick reply.

Bryan
    Try a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). It is on the right side of your throttle body as you are looking from the front. I had the same problem and looked at the schematic to find out that it was the first sensor in the troubleshooting tree. Before you go out and buy another sensor, try checking the resistance. Disconnect the cable from the sensor and the resistance should read anywhere from 3-5 volts. If it does read good, throw some heavy duty fuel injection cleaner before you fill your tank. Good luck
    I actually switched the relay with the starter relay, it's the same one #72, and got the same results.
    And I tried a different headlight switch, one without fogs, but that too resulted the same..........no lights. :-(
  • napoleonnapoleon Member Posts: 16
    has anyone ever opened up a dodge computer to do repairs? I have a 95 ram van with an electrical short in the ecm. is there a way to remove the resin goop that covers the components on the inside. it appears to be a simple fix if i can get inside without destroying it HELP!
    As far as I know the Saginaw is the only one made for the Dodge.

However, I think you said this was a 4WD. Have you checked the ball joints? I find it hard to believe that a balll joint could do this, but if it's real bad, maybe. How are the tires wearing?

And, despite this potentially being a silly question to you, are you sure that the vehicle is not in four-wheel drive?

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I isolated it down to the gearbox. I faced the gearbox while laying down and turned the steering shaft. I could get about an eighth of a turn right of center and none left of center. The sector shaft has a lot of radial play and this is causing my pitman arm to move left to right before it moves my tie-rods. I know for sure that I don't have it locked in 4-wheel drive :-). My ball joints are good without much play. I am getting another gearbox from Advanced Auto on Saturday and I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bryan
  • miram1miram1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All New to the chat room, I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 that I purchessed about 4 months ago USED didn't get a Owners Manual or a 2ed Remote Key BOB for Locking and UNLocking the Doors. So went by my Local Dealer to check on one this past weekend and they want $58.00 with tax for the Unit, and then a another $45.90 with tax to program it to to my truck !!! :mad: Why so Much? is there a way to Program it myself?
    Thanks for the feed and and help
    Unfortunately the $58.00 sounds like the going price. If people will buy it, they will keep charging that much. As for the program fee, $45.90 is ridiculous and I wouldn't ever go back to them. They are just like car salesman/woman when they come up to you with the first trade in offer on your vehicle before you freak out on them and force them to go back and talk to their "Manager". They hope you just say, "OK" and then hand them the cash. Most car dealers that truly value your return business will/should waive this programming charge. But, you will always pay it if you don't question it. Beside the fact that the programming fee should be included in the FOB price. Haggle with them. That's what makes their world go round. If they refuse to program for free, buy the remote from someone else that will. Good luck,

Bryan
  • shawnsshawns Member Posts: 1
    Dusty,

I recently had my ABS, Brake, and Air Bag light all stay on along with A/C not working, speedometer not working at all, power locks not locking, and power windows not working. Took several rounds with a dealership and searching on the Internet but found that it could be the rear speed sensor. I bought that and replaced and everything seems to be okay now, even though it didn't fix it immediately. One day it just started working after the sensor was replaced and has been working for a few months now. However, I still have a Brake light that stays on and I have done all I know to do. I just replaced brakes all the way around this weekend and had rotors turned. I found that one of the springs had broke in the right rear wheel and had messed up the brake pad a little and I had my hopes that it was causing the light to stay on. I have checked fluid and parking brake lines with no success. What would be the next logical step at this point. I have basically lost all faith in the local dealerships around here because they almost acted as if I was the stupid one when describing this problem.

Thanks,
    Shawn
  • asalasasalas Member Posts: 5
    Well I live in the southern tip of texas and as I recall there was no sparks. Since my last post I've noticed that when I pump the gas pedal a couple of times the truck turns on a bit quicker. It still studders a little but not as much if i pump the pedal.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    You can find the remotes much cheaper on Ebay and some sellers will also provide the programming instructions. I believe thye owners manual also includes the programming instructions too!. These too can be found on Ebay. Rick
  • mpillsmpills Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 02 RAM 1500 QuadCab. Dropping my truck off at the dealer tonight. I'll post another reply when they have a solution.
  • help_mehelp_me Member Posts: 1
    woking on 1991 dodge ram 150 and can't seem to find the crank sensor. Where would it be located? would this cause the pu not to have spark?
  • freedogfreedog Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9 automatic died on me while it was idling as I sat parked eating a delicious Wendy's hamburger.... thats funny I thought.... finished my burger and then it would not start ....... it turns over, but doesn't even pretend to want to start as if it was out of gas..... but i have over half a tank still....... my first thought was fuel pump or relay.... but that checked out, and there is pressure in the fuel lines.... then i pulled a plug wire and checked for spark with a screwdriver, and there is spark.... so that leads me to believe that it is a problem with the fuel injectors, but I'm not much of a mechanic.... i checked for fuses and relays, but couldn't find anything for the injectors..... Am i barking up the wrong tree? Anybody have any ideas...... any help would be appreciated
    I am a jet engine mechanic and know quite a bit about combustion engines. If you were idling fine and all of a sudden the engine died, it is probably not the injectors. More than likely there is something wrong with a relay or computer problem which is responsible for scheduling fuel flow. If you have spark and fuel but it will not stay running, it might be a serious vacuum leak. Make sure all connections are tight around the throttle body as this is one of the major area's for vacuum leaks and loose sensors. If any sensor is disconnected or failed, that is attached to, or has anything to do with the throttle body, you will not have sustained ignition/idle. Your starter sounds good and obviously the distributer is good if you get spark. The only thing left is the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) , automatic shut down relay, sensors, fuel scheduling issue or a vacuum leak. Good luck though, this can either be very tricky to isolate or something at simple as a loose battery terminal.

Bryan
  • jrsmileyjrsmiley Member Posts: 1
    hey y'all.new to club. have the (canadian) lift pump fix from dodge issued may 2005. it is a intank pump/sender unit that replaces existing pump with supplied bypass plate. all wiring and relays,housings and connections included.it is classified as a repair kit.
    part #05175538-AA repair kit 14-073-002 >listed $538.00 c$
    run a 2002 RAM 3500 isb turbo diesel, 4x4 4inch shot gun exhaust(home made) air hog/custom air box modification,new vp44, now new lift pump #4, did relocation of stock from engine to infront of tank to keep from burning out - 3;55 gears,auto 47re built to spec i requested(3rd trans)just broke over drive housing at transfer case. know this sound serious but have 1/2 million kilometers on it and use it for RV delivery driving 10-18 hours a day at 65-75 miles per hour. still pulls 12.5-14.0 mpg.any one with any how to's or power increases(mechanical not plug and play), i would be interested in talking. found cam replacement that is good for 400 hp and up to 600hp with add ons.any ways hope that the lift pump will be helpfull
  • shawndshawnd Member Posts: 2
    The problem is the connections on the PCB (printed circuit board) inside the instrument cluster.
    It's easy to fix yourself.
    You must remove the cluster, disconnect the wire harness.
    Remove the cardboard on the back of the cluster, and now you have access to the PCB.
    Remove the screws holding the PCB in place.
    Turn the PCB over and inspect the solder connections on the wire harness connector. They will be cracked.
    Resolder the connections, reassemble.
    Now your speedometer, tach, fuel guage ect... will work.
  • gjsgjs Member Posts: 3
    I took my speed sensor in for replacement at an auto parts store but the two they have listed as a replacement look nothing like the original. The cataloge they have shows a Ford sensor that looks the same. Do I have to go to the dealer for this? My part # is 2034
    Purchased a new FCM (Front Control Module), seems that's the problem part. Now I'm just waiting for the dealer to get. Then I just have to get the part home to try it out.
    Waiting...................................
    A little more information about your truck would be helpful.
  • lawdawgfllawdawgfl Member Posts: 75
    I found the key "BOB" for $5 (starting auction)on ebay, and then the instructions for $4.99. Much better than the price the dealer wants.
  • cbddcbdd Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a short bed 4x4 3500 diesel for trips from northern california to baja, mexico. I plan to lift this truck for 33 or 35 inch all terrain tires for off-road sand, will be loaded with camper and be packed with equipment (2000#). Would like to know if the 3:73 or the 4:10 factory ratio gearing will work best.
  • paydirt1paydirt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 with a 5.9 gasser, computer says #6 not firing its getting spark on #6 it has 110,000 miles on engine, spark plug smells like gas but is not wet, it was running fine then just started missing, I just bought it, it has real nasty battery connectors, someone has cut off the original ones and put on some clamp types, would bad battery connections cause this? how does the computer know that #6 is not firing? Also my 01 cummins goes through front brakes pads like you know what through a goose, I don't tow anything I noticed some pressure ports for the front and rear brakes at the valves, or whatever they are, some times its like the rear brakes work and you can actually stop the thing, can you check if there is any pressure going to the rear?
    The injectors themselves are controlled by the PCM.

Check the fuel pump and ASD (Automatic Shut Down) relays.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Either there's a short in the parking brake circuit, or you are getting a fault declaration from the Anti-lock Brake Controller.

If the brake system is working fine you may have a stuck valve in the Anti-lock Brake Hydraulic unit. But look for corroded terminals at the rear speed sensor.

Regards,
    Dusty
    You will get better gas mileage with the 3.73. The 4.10 might give you just a little better accel. I bought a 05 3500 with 3.73, i have no problem pull loaded or unloaded.
    With bigger tires you might be better off going with the 4.10. The tow rating for the 3.73 is somewhere around 14000 lbs. and I think with 4.10 might go about 15000. Good luck, hope this helps you out :)
  • lebedkinlebedkin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 diesel with a 47RE trany and am experiencing some of the problems you mentioned in thread #846. I bought the truck used and believe the anti drain valve may have been removed because my oem service manual said it should be located in the cooler outlet (press) line near the rad lower tank? I've looked for it and can't find it. You mention it is located in the return line. Could describe it so I may confirm if mine is passing or missing. I have very high oil levels after it sits overnight and I have to let it run in neutral on a cold start before it will develop any launch pressure. Everything seems normal after runnig it a couple of minutes. I asked the local Dodge mechanic but he seemed unsure, any info you you can pass along will be greatly appreciated.
  • gjsgjs Member Posts: 3
    I guess more info would help, the speed sensor is for a 98 Dodge Ram 2wd 5.9L
  • mhlavenkamhlavenka Member Posts: 2
    '97 Dodge Ram 4wd 5.9 extended cab...

Recently had a hitch and lighting harness put on by the folks at Uhaul. Hooked it up to my trailer and all the lights worked correctly. Once I got to my destinations and unhooked the trailer, started having all types of lighting issues....

Right turn signal does not work, hazards do not work, ABS and "Brake" light indicators stay on.

Idiots at Uhaul took lighting harness off, replaced some fuses and still had the same problem. Bulbs on right side look OK. Any ideas? Could the flasher cause just the right side not to blink?

thanks,
    Mark
This discussion has been closed.