Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Care and Maintenance

2»

Comments

• corey24corey24 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Alima and had this exact problem. My dealer told me the car was flooding because of turning the car on and off and back on again after washing it. After you start your car, let it run for a bit. Then after you wash your car, turn it on and let it run for a while or drive around the block, this gives the car a chance to burn off the excess fuel from starting it up. This works every time for me.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    In my 03, I've had a problem starting it a few times on cold mornings. First it turns fine and almost catches but doesn't start. It feels like I may have let up on the key a second too soon. After that, it will turn but doesn't sound smooth at all (like the timing is off). I need to keep trying it and it continues to turn like the timing is off and it has always started after 10 minutes or so.

This problem sounds like it could be related to this problem above. Anyone hit upon this before?
  • desertroopdesertroop Member Posts: 1
    Have you found out what was or is the problem? I have a 2003 altima with the same problems. Checked coolant level it's full but when the car stops the heater start blowing cool air.....What's wrong people!!!!!I need help badly.
  • balaweabalawea Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 2.5 altima, and mine had the same problem two winters in a row, but never started. I had to get towed and the guy replaced the starter both times, which was not the problem. This guy says its the variable valve timing. He says that when it gets cold, some really technical guy stuff (I didn't really read that part) happens with the oil and the compressor that throws the timing off. Apparently flooring the gas will get it started eventually, though. Just wish I had known that before. At any rate, its ok because it means you don't have to drop a grand to get it fixed.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Without more information I can only guess that your heater core may be partially plugged or you have a defective thermostat that's not closing*. How recently have you had your coolong system serviced?

*If you had to have a problem with a thermostat, a partially locked open one is better than a closed one. Better to have too much cooled coolant circulation than NO cooled coolant circulation.
  • ny_chichany_chicha Member Posts: 1
    I just recently went to go to an appt. , Got in my car and it woudlnt' start. I have a 93 Nissan Altima GXE. It wont turn over either...I don't hear any noises..just put a new fuel pump in it
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    How old is your battery?
  • jivelojivelo Member Posts: 1
    MY 93 NISSAN ALTIMA IS EMITTING BLACK SMOKE FROM THE MUFFLER, THIS IS USUALLY PRECEDED BY THE CAR TURNING OFF. THE CAR TURNS ON RIGHT AWAY BUT SPUTTERS A BIT. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE EXCESSIVE FUEL CONSUMPTION, CAR TURNS OFF WHILE IN IDLE AT A STOP LIGHT, SPARKPLUGS ARE EXTREMELY CARBONATED. IVE REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER, OXYGEN CENSOR, GAS REGULATOR, AND SPARK PLUGS. HELP, NO DIFFERENCE.
  • suellensuellen Member Posts: 1
    My 1993 won't start. The battery is fine. We turn the key and get dead silence. If anyone else has had this problem please email me asap. How did you resolve it?
  • helpme911helpme911 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 altima won't start I'v had work done to it and it's still not working.I've had problems starting it went it gets cold. First it turns fine and almost catches but doesn't start. It feels like I may have let up on the key a second too soon. Then it will turn on and make a loud pop noise. I have to keep trying it and it continues to turn like the timing is off and it has always started after 10-30 minutes or so. I had the fuel pump, the ignition coils, and the distributor changed and the car still won't crank right up.
  • raiderman34raiderman34 Member Posts: 2
    I checked the plugs, airfilter, and even use that fuel injector cleaner in my car, but in the past few months i have been getting really bad gas mileage. what could the problem be?
  • tweety07tweety07 Member Posts: 1
    i've got a 2005 altima with the semi-sealed halogen bulb. i've looked at the manual and attempted to change myself. i was defeated! i cant even move the splash guard! any suggestions or solutions? i really hate to think that i must take this in to the service department to have a bulb changed!
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    Good question Tweety.
    On an '06, I was wondering the same thing.
    I've heard that the bumper needs to be removed, is that true?
  • ohd89ohd89 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever fix your car? if so what was the problem?
    I'm having the same problem.
  • rdw1rdw1 Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I am wondering about the amount of miles the Altima generally runs. Like 200,000, or what? Please reply. Thinking of purchasing a 2000 or Newer. Want to make sure of getting a good one.

RDW
  • wayx58wayx58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 altima when you turn the ignition switch all accessories come on dash lights too. The neutral park switch under the hood clicks but the starter doesn't make a sound. It has sat for three weeks then yesterday it started like nothing was ever wrong,but today it is back to the same no start it has a new starter switch.It has a four cylinder with an automatic transmission
  • joab1joab1 Member Posts: 1
    did you fix your altima, i have same problem with my 95 Altima.
  • dsantos0815dsantos0815 Member Posts: 4
    i have 05 altima i am hearing a hard knock when i hit bumps only on the driver side what can this be. also when is the proper time to do a full tune up?
  • onicegamesonicegames Member Posts: 2
    I'm attempting to replace my 3157 rear brake light from my 2002 Altima 2.5SL, how do I remove the tail light assembly to access the bulb?!?? Please, thanks!!

So far I see two nuts on long bolts holding the assembly into place, after I remove those nuts the assembly is just as sturdy, I thought it wise to not force it, rather seek help.

I'd appreciate any advice. :sick: :shades: :)

G.
  • onicegamesonicegames Member Posts: 2
    I found a third nut and bolt, once it came out the entire back lighting assembly came out. A twist to the old 3157 bulb assembly, switched out the bulb without touching it (I used a cloth), twisted the bulb assembly back in, tested successfully.

Lesson learned; 1. 3 bolts need to be undone. 2. self replacing of the bulb is something anyone can do, just do it!!

Cheers.
  • lutricialutricia Member Posts: 1
    having the same probelms. have you found the solutions. if so please forward the answer please. thank you so very much
  • kevlar119kevlar119 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I am in need of the part number for the gear shift solenoid/relay. I can't get the gear shift out of Park without manually pressing in the small release button with a screwdriver. I've checked the fuses and they are all ok. I've called the auto parts stores and they don't stock the part or can't test it either. My brake lights work and so does the interior light. I haven't been able to find the part or number anywhere online. If someone can assist, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know what price it would roughly be. Thank you. It is a 2006 Altima. :sick:
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    I have a 2008 altima coupe. while washing the car and sponging the right fog light, it pushed in and is now loose. Anyone have this problem and what was the fix. Thanks. rr70
  • mlambert1mlambert1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out why it wouldnt start
This discussion has been closed.