Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Accessories and Modifications

volcano2volcano2 Member Posts: 20
edited June 2014 in Nissan
I'm just about to purchase the S; dealer says wiring is already there, he can add fogs for under $259 (MSRP). Is it easy & cheap enough to do it myself or have it done? What's the approx. cost & what brand/type should I get? Also, would anything have to be done to the wiring (or just plug them in?) and could this affect my warranty? Thanks.

Comments

• ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I would say let the dealer do it because it will be covered by your warranty for 3yrs-36,000 miles.
    Should you ever have electrical problems and the dealership realises that you had the fog lights done privately, they would void your warranty especially Nissan.My Nephew had installed boom box in his trunk and upgrade his sterio system in a Maxima and he had an electrical problem not related to the sound system but the dealer gave him a tough time. Every time he went for service he had to call Nissan Corporate to get the dealer to take the car for warranty service.
  • volcano2volcano2 Member Posts: 20
    I can't believe I'm finally about to get my Altima S w. ABS & no convenience pkg. - hard to find but they're out there! The dealer hasn't given me his price yet on a sunroof, but he did say that it would be guaranteed for life! I have some questions: Is that a typical warranty for an aftermarket, or what is? How do I tell who's a good installer, other than ASC? What's a good price for a power s/r? And is it possible to get one that manually slides back so it's cheaper, or would only a pop-up be available? Sounds like I should get a deflector to cut down on noise. Thanks.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Volcano: What state are ou in and what's the name of the dealer that has the 2.5s with Abs package without the convenience pkg.
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    I hope to get some help and information here.
    I have bought 1997 Nissan Altima Limited edition
    when it was new. Everything is excellent. But
    this car only have AM/FM and cassette Player
    unit. I hope to install a single CD player on
    it and also keep the original AM/FM Cassette
    player unit. When I went to Car Audio shop,
    they told me that they can install a new
    AM/FM, cassette and CD player unit, but can not
    use the original unit, and will charge for $450.
    I think, if I can install a CD player unit only while keeping the original FM/AM Cassette unit, it
    may cost about $200. Do you have any such kind
    experience? or any reference web site about it?
    Thanks.
  • ikester12ikester12 Member Posts: 5
    Will I void out my engine warranty if I change to a cold air intake on my 2002 Altima 2.5S? It is not a engine modification but and improvemnet in air intake.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    If the CAI causes any problems (e.g. mass airflow sensor fails), those won't be covered under warranty. But the dealer can't deny you service for problems not caused by your mod. That doesn't mean they won't try, however.
  • washconwashcon Member Posts: 1
    I bought a '02 2.5S about a month ago, and I like the car, it's not perfect, but it's fun to drive, and I like letting it rev out, it's got good power at 4000 rpm and up. Anyway, I read a review in which a person complained about a buzz or noise in the dome light. I too had this problem, it would make a buzz going down the road, very annoying! The back of the inner part of the light is buzzing against the roof of the car, and to fix this, all you have to do is take lens cover off, and then the two screws that mount the light, then just take something to insulate the light from the roof, I used a folded paper towel, folded to about a two inch square, and placed it in between the light and roof, re-assembled and it solved the whole buzzing problem. I hope this helps someone out. ST
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    I got the wood grain trim package with my Altima as a a dealer addon. The dealer came up short (backorder) on the section that went around the shift area. Does anyone else have this option because the dealer has told me the part is in and when I went to have it installed it was a grey insert rather than woodgrain and I think it should be woodgrain. They say its supposed to be grey.
  • acmeroadrunnracmeroadrunnr Member Posts: 81
    apparantly there was some sort of kluge inside the dealership and I am now going to get the wood grain section for my car.
  • dougf912dougf912 Member Posts: 6
    bought new 2002 Altima 3.5SE in July 2002. Love the car very fast, but disappointed at the exhaust system. The factory exhaust is too quiet for a v-6 sports car. take a look underneath and theirs a 3 foot resonator then it Y's off to two mufflers. It's a great system for my grandfather's Buick park Ave. but for guy's who want a real sports car, it needs a sports exhaust. A sports exhaust is offered as option on the Nissan Frontier for $500 FROM THE DEALER, BUT NONE IS OFFERED FOR THE aLTIMA 3.5SE. Today at 2,700 miles I changed exhaust system and what a difference! I bought 2 Flowmaster 40 series Delta flow mufflers. I then removed that giant resonator and replaced it with a 2" straight pipe . The flowmasters sound great and they fit perfect(some pipes were custom bent) and minor hanger modifications were made. Too bad Nissan doesnt offer Sports exhaust as option,but im glad i changed mine!
    Mossy Nissan offers a catback exhaust system for the Altima V6. They claim a 22 whp improvement over stock:

http://www.mossyperformance.com/mpexhaust.htm
  • ike14ike14 Member Posts: 1
    I did a warm air induction mod on my altima 2.5s. I did get the improvement but passengers in the back seat would complained about how loud the exhaust is. Do I need to change the muffler to a high flow type to bring the noise down to a comfortable level.
    Thanks afty for that web site for mossy. Nice system they have,but I HATE the stainless steel look. the Flowmaster mufflers I installed are heavy gauge steel and fit perfect with only minor modifications. Ike (post#14) dont let your friends ride in my 3.5SE, they would hate the sound of mine! I wouldnt suggest switching to a high flow muffler, that would make it even louder.
  • altimanaltiman Member Posts: 9
    Love the Bose Audio in my '03 3.5SE, but there's a buzz in the LF door speaker at certain frequencies -- even at relatively low volumes. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • gbedro2gbedro2 Member Posts: 2
    dougf912- I have a 3.5 SE, Stillen makes the highest performance aftermarket for this vehicle. The stock exhasut is horrible. Once I throw onthe stillen I should herer a nice rumble. Will let you know...
    G
  • jps4915jps4915 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2003 Altima 2.5S with ABS but no convenience package. I'd like to have a leather wrapped steering wheel. Is there a good aftermaket kit available (one that would closely resemble the OEM look)? Thanks.
    GBEDRO2 stillen makes nice system, but i dont like the stainless look. I wanted to make it look stock and the best way is with the Flowmaster mufflers 40 series with Delta flow(i paid $75 each). Cut off the resinator and replace with stright pipe then custom bent 2" pipes and weld to both mufflers. I then took off the factory stainless tips and welded then back onto the new flowmasters. The car looks stock, but certainly doesnt sound it. It was the best single modification i did so far........total cost was $288.59
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    question for ya'll does anyone know if you can get the 03 Altima with navigation, and if not can you add a DVD navigation system to it... has anyone tried this ... thanx
    I know you can't get the Altima with a navigation system from the factory. Don't know about adding one aftermarket.
  • altimanaltiman Member Posts: 9
    '03 Altima 3.5S specs claim a 20 gallon tank, but I've never been able to squeeze more than 16.5 in it, even on dead "E". Anybody else experience this? Is it really 20 gals? Can I have the gauge re-calibrated?
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,279
    Has anyone installed an external disc changer in a 02/3 Altima? I just bought a 2.5S. I like the factory stereo so I'd like to install an external disc changer that will play through the factory head unit.

If you've done this, please let me know how you laid it out. Where did the unit go and where did the controls go?

Thanks for your help
    The most gas I've ever put in my Altima is 17.5 gallons, and that was after driving 50 miles past the point where the trip computer was flashing angrily at me! I think the Altima really does have a 20 gallon tank but just has a very large reserve when the needle is at E.
  • crosscreekcrosscreek Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone tried to install a electric auto dim mirror on an 02 or newer Altima that came with the standard rear view mirror? If so was it hard to get the power line hook up?
  • 90maxima90maxima Member Posts: 14
    The headlights on our 02 Altima (factory halogens H1, 55W) seemed rather dim. I was looking at replacing them with Sylvania Silverstar H1ST (also 55W). Since I've heard story about aftermarket lights burning up the socket and resulted in replacing the whole headlight unit, I'm a bit worried about doing this. Would anyone with experience with such light please give me your opinion on it. Thank you.
  • zheka78zheka78 Member Posts: 4
    Sylvania Silverstars work very well - when they do. Since they are rated the same wattage (55W) and are brighter than stock bulbs do only to configuration and glass and internal gas improvemets, they produce same heat as the stock bulbs. The improvement is nice, however they tend to burn out every 6-9 months on the two cars that I own. If you do not mind changing them that often - go ahead and make the change.

Hope this helps.
  • zanderson1977zanderson1977 Member Posts: 4
    The 97 has the same stereo setup as my car, a 94. Go to Crutchfield.com for CD players you can install yourself. You can find ones that mount in the trunk (changer style) which you can listen to through the factory radio/tape deck. Also, Sanyo makes a model that has CD and Tape in the one J-size slot where your current stereo is. I took my tape deck out, and put in a Pioneer CD. I had to solder the wire harness i got from Crutchfield to the factory plug, and the only thing that bothers me is that the Pioneer doesn't have the right controls for the power antenna. The Altimas of this era come with decent Clarion speakers (at least mine did) so you shouldn't need to upgrade those with the CD unless you're into the bass (rap music mostly).
  • tampajaytampajay Member Posts: 2
    Is there anything out there yet for the 05 Altima
    its has Awesome pickup as is but I would love to get more HP if I could, and maybe even make it sound better I've only had it for about two weeks it the best purchase I have ever made really fun to drive I can never get off work fast enough to to get back into my car....
    There are several aftermarket exhausts for the Altima.

Mossy Nissan sells a full catback exhaust:
    http://mossynissan.com/performance/mossy_exhaust.html

Stillen has some exhaust pieces:
    http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_products.asp?make_id=23&mod- el_id=281&StartYear=2002&EndYear=2005&cat=2&Brand- =&subcat=162

And I am sure there are a bunch more that I'm not aware of. But hopefully these will give you a start.
    I've got an 03 2.5S that I am very happy with except that I'd like to upgrade to a multi-disc head unit. My car has the convenience package which gives me the controls on the sterring wheel. It is very important to me to retain those controls when I upgrade. If I can track down the multi-disc head unit that comes in the SL, will it plug right in? Has anyone else done this?
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Anyone had a remote starter installed on their Altima(or know of anyone that has)? Does it in any way void the warranty?

Thanks in advance.
  • sparkdogsparkdog Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 2.5s and I was satisfied with the stereo until I put in Miles Davis at the Blackhawk. His muted trumpet was so distorted I had to turn the treble way down and put the fade to the rear to make it listenable. Any suggestions on making this stereo better?
  • donnybdonnyb Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2.5 S and a standard AM/FM/CD with no CD changer, no SAT button, no cassette, single CD player only, no stereo controls on steering wheel. I want to add AUX input for my ipod. Anybody done this?
  • ej_rabbitej_rabbit Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 Altima. Had remote starter installed while still under the factory warranty. Have not had any problems. I had it "piggy-backed" onto the factory keyless. Just make sure you have it installed by someone with a lot of experience.

I recommend Ziebart Tidy Car or the like.
  • 1969iggy1969iggy Member Posts: 17
    I have got over 18 gallons at least a dozen times... and on at least 3 occations i've hit 19 or more, with 19.2 being the most. I've also run out of gas once... :)

ScoT
  • 1969iggy1969iggy Member Posts: 17
    Anyone out there have an aftermarket hood? I have a big dent in my hood and need to replace it at some point in time, wanted to get one that looks different since there are a million silver altimas out there... (I have a 2002...)
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Anybody know if there are aftermarket tail lens assemblies to replace the stock units? I am not a big fan of the clear tail light assemblies and wanted to know if there are options for changing them out?
  • wojo0624wojo0624 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best way to remove the front headlight with the corner lights and tail lights? I am having trouble taking them out. If anyone has a solution please email me. Thank you.
  • aaa000aaa000 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive aftermarket exhaust for a 3.5 Altima? I am looking for something a little deeper and more aggressive sounding (just like on the Altima SE-R), not the angry beehive sound that is so common among the sport compacts. I saw the post for the Stillen and the Mossy exhausts, but anything cheaper out there? Thanks for any help.
  • irreligion88irreligion88 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 03 altima 2.5 and i got a cold air intake off of e bay for $50 which worked great and after i lifted my car up on the lift at my work i noticed that nissan installs 2 catilytic convertes on their cars as well as 2 mufflers. well i cut out the muffler in the middle of the car that was almost 3 feet long and put a straight pipe and it is still street legal and i noticed a great power gain and all they charged was $45 to do that and it sounds better has more torque, acceleration, HP, and top speed it is a great and chep way to get more power out of your 2.5. i did leave both catalytic converters in though. I hope this helps out some people out that want a cheap yet effective way to increase the performance in their car
  • irreligion88irreligion88 Member Posts: 2
    my 03 nissan altims used to squeak a lot when you applied light pressure on the brake pedal and had a little grinding noise when i slammed on the breaks. now i have noticed that a lot of altimas i drive at work also do that so to cure that problem on my car i ordered up a set of drilled and slotted rotors for the front and used Raybestos QS series brake pads the ceramic pads and i also snipped the ends off the little metal tabs on the brake calipers that the brake pad slips onto and now my breaks work a lot better and no more squeling so there is another thing to improve your altima for cheap and i have done all this on a job that i only take home $400 every 2 weeks so its not expensive also look for my other post about the modified stock exhaust all this done by a highschool student with a $7.50 an hour job
  • 04specv04specv Member Posts: 1
    That 3 foot long muffler was not a muffler. It was a resonator. The purpose of that is to rough up the air a little so that it uses the muffler to the full extent. I also had it removed and the air flow was much better but the sound was typical mad Bee. I then purchased the Stillen axle back and the sound was nice and deep. I also changed the header to a Stillen and removed the pre-cat so I was left with one Cat on the car. The Nismo Cold Air intake was the last thing and the performance was great. I love the sound and power now but the total bill was around $1500. So the cheap is definatly out of the question.
    :shades:
  • jrussell1jrussell1 Member Posts: 2
    I like my 03 Altima, I don't like the NON-folding side mirrors. My two previous Nissans (92 Stanza, 95 Maxima) had folding side-view mirrors. Is there any product that will let me replace my non-folding factory mirrors with some folding ones?
  • lea280lea280 Member Posts: 1
    question.. i want to put subs in my 02 3.5 SE.. should i get it professionally installed or is it easy enough to figure out that i shouldnt waste the money? :confuse:
  • jamesxnycjamesxnyc Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED A NEW ALTIMA IN 2004. THE CAR CAME WITH REGULAR HUBS AND NOW I HIT 35,000 MILES SO I NEED NEW TIRES. I AM LOOKING INTO 20' INCH RIMS. IVE SEEN THEM BEFORE ON OTHER ALTIMAS, BUT IM NOT SURE HOW THE RIDE IS? CAN ANYONE HELP? BESIDES THE 20'S, IS THERE ANY OTHER MODIFICATIONS THAT NEED TO BE INSTALLED PRIOR TO INSTALLATION? PLEASE HELP..
    REPOST OR EMAIL- JAMESXNYC@AOL.COM
    James, I assume that you're from NYC as well. You've got to watch out putting such big wheels on NYC streets. You're asking for trouble combining those short side wall tires and NYC potholes. Can't you get the look you're going for with an 18?
  • bigbruder1bigbruder1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry folks,

I didn't know how to post a message here but maybe someone will help me out. My daughter has a 1995 Nisson Altima GXE and someone broke off the auto antenna of her car and I'm trying to replace as cheap as possible. We don't seem to have any car salvage yards around here. Can someone point me in the right direction for this.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Chuck Davidson
    Chuck,

Ebay is a good spot for used parts.
  • bigbruder1bigbruder1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip on finding parts on EBay. I did go there but couldn't find any auto/power antenna for a 1995 Nisson Altima. Will keep trying. Hey Mike, whatever happen to indivual cars clubs? I use to belong to a 1992 Nisson Stanza.

Thanks Chuck. If you think of anything else, please let me know.
  • temeculatemecula Member Posts: 4
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did your exhaust moification cost? Did you feel a change in horsepower? How loud is it?...Is it close to the Z or G35 Coup? Louder? I've been thinking about changing my exhause as well, but I don't want it to sound like those load/modified Honda Civics.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Ease of "exhaling" is only a small part of the enhanced performance picture for a stock motor. If you want any meaningful power increase, you have to look at helping the motor "inhale" easier, too. You also have to look at remapping the ECM's ignition advance and fuel delivery curves with a ROM chip modification or replacement. A 20 hp increase will likely set you back a grand for a low-restriction cold-air intake, low-restriction fart pipes, and a re-chip. Net performance gain? A half second off your current 0-60 mph time. Maybe. (But, at least the cops'll hear you coming two counties away...)
This discussion has been closed.