Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sauron666sauron666 Member Posts: 12
    I declared lemon law on my 02 Altima and now the Nissan dealer where I bought my car has had it for 4 days so far. A factory rep showed up and I was told then by the service rep (not the factory rep) that the car needed to be looked at to verify specs, whatever that is supposed to mean. I have also been told that a 4th(!) set of tires and a 3rd(!) alignment will be performed before I get my car back and then only after everyone has test driven it. Sounds like an inadvertant admission that something on my car caused the 3rd set of tires to go buggy, else they wouldn't be replacing the tires, eh. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should ask the service rep when I go to pick up my car? Other than my repair order, should I ask for a copy of the mechanics hard copy? If what I am told by the service rep is not on the repair order, should I add it and have them validate what I write? Comments please!
    I have been provided a rental car at no cost to me. It is an 02 Camry LE. If it wasn't for the mom-mom and pop-pop appeal of this car, I would definetely recommend it two thumbs up. The interior ergos leave much to be desired, but it has the smoothest transmission and next to no road noise or feel. But hey, that is why I bought the 02 Altima: the anti-Camry!
  • fridge2fridge2 Member Posts: 1
    Got about 5,000 km on this baby with no complaints other than one, tires/rims. Rolling at 30 - 50 kmh speeds (20 - 30 mph), the car has a slight hop to it. Like a tire is out of round or bad rim. Been to the dealer 3 times, 3 balances and 1 tire replaced and no better. Took the car to my own tire shop, they re-balanced again, no change. Back to them again and 2 more tires replaced (Conti approved the tire change no charge). Still no fix. The Conti guy mentioned to my tire guy that there is a problem with the Altimas, as Conti has seen alot of uneven tire wear. They suggest I go back to Nissan, who are supposed to be aware of this problem, and demand a fix. Does anyone else know of the specifics of this problem. Alignment?, Rims? I'm nashing my teeth over this.
    Review item #72,#90,#91,#94,#97-#99 above. The difference between you and me is you are not on steel rims as I am with my 2.5S. It seems now that it is a blame game between Nissan and Continental. But, as I stated previously, it has also happened to me with Bridgestones. So it looks like a Nissan problem. I am still waiting for my Altima - day 5 now in the repair shop. As soon as I find out any info, I will add it here.
  • fastaltfastalt Member Posts: 24
    If you have a 2002 Altima and have experienced a Sloshing Noise when you have filled your GAs Tank there is a Nissan Bulletin that has been created to fix the problem. It is NTB02-103. A copy can be found on the following web address. http://www.altimas.net/registry/index.php. Once you get there click on "owner jvitale" and he has the bulletin for you to view. I read it over and it sounds like a lot of dismantling and replacing of parts. Based on my confidance in the dealer's abilty to do it all correctly I have decided to live with the occasional Slosh, but you may want to do otherwise....
  • garnold1garnold1 Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem with tires thumping. I noticed as I pull up to my mailbox, come to slow stop and can hear when I have my windows down. The same guy does my tires (bought car new) for all 4 cars and said all 4 of my wheels needed aligning.ok for a couple weeks, and is thumping again. Of course I keep rotating them as recommended, and yes bought new tires,too. The front tires were really eaten up despite low miles. Plus tires appear low on air, but when I check them they are up to a couple of pounds overinflated! The problem is worse on front tires, and this is my squeaky car with windows whistling no matter what. Our old Altima was a tight shifting 5 speed. Boy, I miss it.
  • cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Any body else having trouble keeping their Altima aligned ?

I keep seeing references to this issue and was wondering how big of a problem it is.
  • perry1961perry1961 Member Posts: 10
    The only problem I had was a check engine light after driving about 50 miles.The dealer reset it,and no problem since.
    The more I drive this car,the more I like it.It tops out at 115MPH,but gets there quickly.I guess I'm blessed,because I haven't noticed any noise,vibrations,or tire problems,and I really punish this car.
    Of course,it's primarily the wife's car,and the two kids ride occasionally,so a sports car wasn't an option.This is the next best thing imo....
  • jghalljghall Member Posts: 1
    2002 Altima S, 21k miles.
    2 episodes where it would not start, dealer could not find problem. It eventually started and seemed to run normally.
    2 separate airbag sensor faults, repaired under warranty.
    Complete instrument panel failure, repaired under warranty.

I love the car, but have had enough. Has anyone had similar problems?
  • birdrulesbirdrules Member Posts: 8
    sandman46,
    i also have a '01 limited edition nissan altima and had the power steering idler pulley replaced at 24k miles. it was unusually noisy/vibrating when in gear and with foot on brake. the local nissan service technician replaced the idler pulley, but the noise is still there. he said he could find nothing else wrong with the car, has not seen this with other altimas, and will report it to nissan.
    please let me know if you had similar noise issue and whether it was resolved due to the pulley being replaced. thanks!
  • appletapplet Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 3.5SE. Like the car very much but have a question. The original tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL42 - P215/55R17 93H. (Max psi = 44).

What is the RECOMMENDED tire pressure for this tire on this car? Same front and back? Who is responsible for putting this info on the car - dealer or manuf.?

This info is NOT in my manual, stuck on my door, or in my glove compartment. Service station and dealership can't find it. Bridgestone website says "recommended pressure" is set by the maunuf. Nissan's website says nothing.

BTY - Soon after I took delivery, I had my service station check the tire pressure. One tire was down to 15psi. Ten days later it was down that much again, refilled, and continued to lose pressure. Dealership initially tried to tell me it was a faulty tire, and that I should go to a Bridgestone store to replace (not happy). But after further discussion they determined it was a faulty rim and replaced it. Seems OK now, but I still don't know recommeded tire pressure front & back.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Yes, the noise went away. Quiet now.
    Am thinking of switching 2 195/65/15 tires or 205/65/15's. Will buy next monday.

The Sandman :-)
  • jerrynjjerrynj Member Posts: 11
    The service engine soon light on my 98 altima went on a few weeks ago. I checked the gas tank cap and it was properly tightened.

The car also developed a very strange problem lately. Last time at the gas station, the gas pump stoped while the gas tank was still empty. It turned out that the gas spilled back after 15 to 20 seconds refueling and I had to wait about 30 seconds for the gas to go down before tried refueling it again. The whole process of refueling takes about 5 minutes. Has anyone experienced the same porblem before? And what could be the possible cause? BTW, I live in New Jersey and it's pretty cold here lately. Thanks a lot.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    my friend has a 99 maxima and his tire pressure label is located on the underneath side of the armrest lid. Try that if you haven't already.
    Would anyone know what this Nissan repair operation is: 16NIZ - PDI?
    It was done with 6 miles on the odometer, but when I took delivery, the odometer read 27 miles.

By the way, Nissan put on a 4th set of tires - Bridgestone Tauranzas EL42s again - and my washing machine is still in the spin cycle. The factory rep suggested no other remedy. Now I have to contend with BBB Autoline. Anyone ever mediated with BBB to replace their Nissan?
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I believe this is from the armrest (under the top armrest).
  • tmnjalttmnjalt Member Posts: 19
    Sorry to hear about your vibration problems, I
    had suspension noises when i first bought mine-seems suspension fittings were not fully tightened at the factory-might be worth a look.

By the way - how did you get the 'before purchase' repair info on your car ?? I'd like to get that on mine.
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    saoke: I realize it has been almost a month but on a '95 Altima the codes are readable by the owner. The computer is next to the drivers foot behind a small plastic door. Just turn it on and record the LED light. (red & green flashes) Checks almost everything electric on the car.
  • teryan30teryan30 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this car for 115K miles, and the "Check Engine" light is on for the 3rd time. Every time it is for the rear O2 sensor. Does the sensor need to be replaced, or does the computer just need to be reset? Are the higher quality O2 sensors that won't break every 40k miles or so? Any and all input is appreciated.
  • ny10019ny10019 Member Posts: 5
    I am in the market for a pre-owned 94-99 Altima and came across information on Consumer Reports that servicing the timing chain/belt is a whopping $ 750 which seems to be significantly more than other cars. Does anyone know how often such service is scheduled ? Has the Altima a timing belt or chain ?
    I have a '95 Altima with 82k and the rear O2 sensor was changed at 25k and haven't had any trouble with either sensors sence. (both were changed) The rear does little to monitor the O2. The Pathfinder rear O2 sensors don't do anything until the engine rpm is over 3400. You could try Bosch or some other brand If you change them yourself use very little anti seize and don't put any on the first two treads.
    The 2.4 liter engine has a timing chain and don't let any dealer tell you otherwise. I have a co-worker that was told by a salesman to bring his Altima for a belt change a 60k. The chains are good for the life of the engine. Steve
  • appletapplet Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I found it! I've been away over the holidays or would have responded sooner. If you open the lower of the two compartments in the armrest/console to the driver's right , the label is affixed to the underside of the upper compartment. Who would guess - dealer didn't.

33 front, 30 rear - and other useful info.

Thanks again
  • barisbaris Member Posts: 6
    Hi there,

I just bought a 99 Altima with 40K miles on it! However, the tires need to be replaced.

Could you give me some recommendations for a good quality tire? All weather average(not performance) driving with decent thread life.

Thanks
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I did purchase new tires for our '01 GXE Ltd. Ed. last monday but went up to a 205/65/15 size from the standard 205/60/15's that came on the car. The sidewall is about an inch higher but nothing hits, even with 5 people on board. I think the ride is better and I feel less intrusion in the steering wheel. So far I am quite happy with the change and finally enjoy driving this puppy. Hope all will be good.
    Again Bret, thanks!

The Sandman :-)
  • dougie6dougie6 Member Posts: 1
    I decided to lease a '99 Altima GXE. All my research indicated the car as best fit me. When all is well it has been. After a week I went back to dealer complaining about three things. Odd transmission noise, Click front end and pulling seriously to right. Was told to drive car until first service due and get used to it. Sounded fair so I complied.
    After much hassle the dealer changed my transmission and that problem was resolved. I still had the other two. Once out of warranty the dealer discovered the control arm was bent and had to be rerplaced at expense to me. This did resolve the pulling. However when shown the control arm I could not see even a chip on the black paint which seemed to not support the dealer telling me I had hit a big pothole. Next the dealer- again out of warranty told me I needed a new steering column. When I questioed this they decided that maybe I did not need one even although I could still feel the click. Next time in the shop I had to get a brake job and a (can't recall what it was called) replaced at again expense to me because it looked like it had been "sticking for a while". I asked if that could be the cause of my clicking and was told maybe. Guess what, it was. Again at my expense.
    These are only the highlights of my problems that include rust spot on bottom of back window stanchion. (drivers side) Door jamming open, Widow slipping, visor breaking, speedometer cable breaking etc. I have written Nissan and got a standard leter reply but no satisfaction and the dealer does not seem to care. At 139,000Km I am now having to put a third set of tyres on the car which is something I have never had to do on a car before. 90% of my driving is highway and I am well past my hotroding years.
    My wife and her uncle both drive the same model and vintage Altima as I do but do not have the same problems. I read the chat page and everyone seems to be having a great experience with their Altima except me. Anyone have any comment or suggestion?
  • altimanaltiman Member Posts: 9
    Love the Bose Audio in my '03 3.5SE, but there's a buzz in the LF door speaker at certain frequencies -- even at relatively low volumes. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • meyer4meyer4 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 02 Altima 2.5SL and cannot get heat out of it until it has been driven a short distance. Will barely de-ice the windshield after running 15 mins. Do you think it might be thermostat?
    If your '02 Altima has Auto heat the heater valve doesn't open until the engine warm to 140 deg or so. Keeps cold air off your feet?
  • meyer4meyer4 Member Posts: 2
    I don't have auto-heat. Service dept. said there was an air-lock in system. They worked on it, seemed to help for a little while but now back to same old thing. The heat output drops even while setting at a traffic light. I have tried everything, (re-circulate, etc.) Good thing I have bun warmers or would freeze to death.
    Because I have had to gather all documentation for my lemon law arbitration hearing next week, I noticed in the repair history section of one of my work orders that some specific procedure was done 2 months before I took delivery. I called the service cashier to ask for a copy of the work ticket and they actually sent it to me! It shows only that PDIGAS was performed. Not important I guess.
    Grok this! Have any of you other 02+ Altima owners ever visited http://www.altimas.net? I did and became enlightened to TSBs for Altimas as well as an Altima alignment spec. What is wierd about this spec is that it states that all fluids, including the gas tank must be full and the spare tires, tools and mats must also be installed during the alignment procedure. I know that for the 3 times my 02 Altima has been aligned, I have never had a full tank of gas.
  • truby92truby92 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 02 Altima 2.5 S with what I consider many problems - check engine valve bad, air bag mounting bracket, rattling seat belts, headliner and glove box, defective rear shocks, etc.
    Out of service many times but not up to 45 day lemon law in my state so Nissan won't buy it back. Anyone having similar problems?
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    I'm tempted to do this myself on my 97 Altima. Can anyone provide some how-to tips ? Is it difficult ? Thanx for your help.
  • monty356monty356 Member Posts: 3
    mso1956, My `02 is doing the same thing as yours. Did you ever find the problem with it?
  • trembalatrembala Member Posts: 2
    I have 03 Altima for couple of months and a little more than 3,000 miles on it.
    On Jan 17, my wife drove it out for the grocery shopping and when she came back she parked the car on the drive way with the engine running, but in 'P'. She got off the car and opened the trunk door and unloaded the shopping bags to the kitchen through the garage. She repeated it few times until all bags were removed from the car and taken to the kitchen.
    When she walked out to the garage the car was coming toward her. The car stopped when bumped into the water tank base damaging the base and the front of the car. And missed my wife by 1/16" or so...!!!
    We ran to the car to verify what happened.
    I thought she may have left it in 'Drive'... but it was verified that it was in 'P', but rolled forward. I took some pictures of the situation.
    And I took the car to the dealership and told them what happened. They checked the car up, but nothing wrong was found according to the service dept.
    I'd like to know if anyone had a simillar problem with Altima.
  • jps4915jps4915 Member Posts: 8
    Does your driveway slope towards the garage?

The gated shifter needs to be placed in P (all the way up and then moved to the left) before my key can be removed from the ignition. If the shifter isn't engaged in park, it might be in neutral mode.

Just a theory - I haven't tried this, so I can't say for sure.
  • trembalatrembala Member Posts: 2
    Nop! It actually is the other way... toward the street. The shifter was in 'P', locked up and the op panel with the 'P' light lit. I took some photos soon after the incident, but no one is willing to believe what happened to my car. Only if one was there like my family members who were there when it happened.
    And if that theory is valid the car should have rolled back to the street, but to garage.
    Also I tested it in 'D', but due to the slop toward the street the car didn't move at all even opening and closing the doors and trunk... getting into the car and getting off from it.. etc...
    I heard that something similar happened to Audi5000 in the past and recently to the Korean cars.
  • alexradualexradu Member Posts: 9
    Hi. I had a light accident a few years ago, when some car cut me while turning left. Since that moment, although the dealer says that the car has been "fixed", I have a recurrent problem with the air-bag light - for no reason whatsoever, from time to time (every month, I'd say) it goes on (blinking). It's most annoying, and the only solution has been to go to the dealer (again and again !) and pay about 25$ for the "computer reset". They say that the computer has NO error code, and they don't know what might be the reason for this behaviour - it might be some wiring problem, but they haven't been able to detect it. But, some time ago, a mechanic at the dealer didn't even bother taking the car into the garage - he reset it on the street, by using some sequence of brake-pedal pressing and door-switch pressing, something like "press the brakes once, then manually press on the door-switch three times in quick sequence, then again press the brakes once, and again the door-switch three times"... this is just an example. That guy didn't want to tell me what the trick was. So my question is: does anybody know these trick ? I'm really tired to spend time and money for my monthly "ritual" two-hours trip to the dealer. I have tried other mechanics, but they said that this is very specific to Nissan and I should go to the dealer, which is the only one to have that knowledge from the manufacturer.

PS. Altima 1995, which otherwise runs just fine.
  • alexradualexradu Member Posts: 9
    Hi. I had a light accident a few years ago, when some car cut me while turining left. Since that moment, although the dealer says that the car has been "fixed", I have a recurrent problem with the air-bag light - for no reason whatsoever, from time to time (every month, I'd say) it goes on (blinking). It's most annoying, and the only solution has been to go to the dealer (again and again !) and pay about 25$ for the "computer reset". They say that the computer has NO error code, and they don't know what might be the reason for this behaviour - it might be some wiring problem, but they haven't been able to detect it. But, some time ago, a mechanic at the dealer didn't even bother taking the car into the garage - he reset it on the street, by using some sequence of brake-pedal pressing and door-switch pressing, something like "press the brakes once, then manually press on the door-switch three times in quick sequence, then again press the brakes once, and again the door-switch three times"... this is just an example. That guy didn't want to tell me what the trick was. So my question is: does anybody know these trick ? I'm really tired to spend time and money for my monthly "ritual" two-hours trip to the dealer. I have tried other mechanics, but they said that this is very specific to Nissan and I should go to the dealer, which is the only one to have that knowledge from the manufacturer.

PS. Altima 1995, which otherwise runs just fine.
  • beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    From Nissan Altima 94 Service Manual,

Driver's door switch is turned ON and OFF more than 5 times within 7 seconds after ingition switch is truned ON.

That should clear your problem.
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I thought I would share this 1997 Altima, No problems!
  • dan517dan517 Member Posts: 8
    In my 3.5SE, the seat heaters only generate heat once someone is sitting in them. I don't know if this is normal or not. The electrical obviously works, as the seats get toasty when sitting in them, but if I start the car for 10 minutes in the morning and then get into it, they are not already heated. Never having had heated seats before, I don't know if this is how they should work. Any comments would be appreciated. :)
  • dan517dan517 Member Posts: 8
    In my 3.5SE, the seat heaters only generate heat once someone is sitting in them. I don't know if this is normal or not. The electrical obviously works, as the seats get toasty when sitting in them, but if I start the car for 10 minutes in the morning and then get into it, they are not already heated. Never having had heated seats before, I don't know if this is how they should work. Any comments would be appreciated. :)
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    put your backpack or a book in the seat!
  • janellewjanellew Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased this car less than one month ago with 38,000 miles on it. The car seems to do fine on the freeway - other than a slight vibration throughout when stopped at a red light. Not sure what this is about - wasn't having this problem when I test drove the car. Another problem I have noticed is when I am driving in town (around 40 mph) the car seems to hesitate almost as if it is pulling back. It is hard to explain but it feels as though it wants to cut out but it isn't actually doing that at all. The gear change seems to be long as well. It is an automatic. Is it normal for the RBM (???) indicater to get all the way up to 4 before the gear actually changes?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Not sure if I purchased a lemon or not. I certainly hope I haven't - my budget couldn't take it.
  • bkg101bkg101 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 Altima GXE with 67K miles. Recently I have problems starting the car. If I press on the gas pedal while turning the ignition key it sometimes starts. Otehr times, I move the car into Shift then back to Park before starting and it works. I know these discussions have happened before, can someone give insight into what they did and what really works.

Secondly, when I press on the accelator I hear a 'click'. This happens all the time, any suggestions??
  • nascar33nascar33 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 3.5 and have had it in for repairs around 10 times and have had 16 new tire (Bridgestone Tauranza tires) and 4 new rims put on. Have also been speaking with Nissan trying to get the problem fixed. It shakes between 50-75 mph, you can see the steering wheel shake and also feel it in the floor and seat. We are just waiting for some paperwork then we are going to file for the lemon law. would like to here if where (Sauron666) is on your car and the lemon law. and any advise anyone has would be great!!!