Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ronroronro Posts: 1
    IF YOUR CAR STALLS AND ACTS LIKE IT WANTS TO CONTINUE ON WHEN COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP, YOUR LOCK IN SWITCH ON YOUR TRANSMISSION IS PROBABLY BAD. YOU HAVE THREE SPEEDS ON THE CAR AND THEN A LOCK IN THAT LOCKS THE TRANNY TO YOUR DRIVE SYSTEM......IT FEELS LIKE YOU HAVE A 4 SPEED TRANNY. MY 89 OLDS HAD THE SAME SYSTEM. AND IT WENT BAD ON ME..... IT COST ABOUT $150 TO HAVE IT FIXED AT A LOCAL SHOP...DUNNO ABOUT A NISSAN COST. SORRY!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Please use lower case when you type. It's like shouting and a bit difficult to read!

The Sandman :)
  • fizgig36fizgig36 Posts: 4
    I took my car in because it kept randomly not starting and my mechanic said that he didn't see anything wrong with it and it started for them. He also said something about the computer codes which I did not understand. Has anyone encountered this before? I also had my mechanic tighten the belts because I thought it would fix the screeching noise but it just made it worse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :confuse:
  • harper7harper7 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Altima. Today when I turned my headlights on, the dashboard light and cd player/radio stopped working. When I turned the headlights off, they came back on. My sister has a 1999 Altima that had the same problem. I called the dealership, and they said they'd never heard of this, but it appears by looking on various forums this is a problem many people have experienced. I haven't been able to find out what's causing it, though. Any help would be appreciated!!
  • doyindoyin Posts: 22
    Saw smthn about a TSB on solenoids (U13) on the nissan tech info website.Can anyone get a printout of these?Got a problem with my auto shift(97gxe) from 1-2.It shifts harshly with a jerk.Can anyone with a 97 gxe pls tell me what kind of Trans control unit comes with this car?i.e serial number.Recently acquired the car and i'm starting to think the TCU has been changed and might not be the correct one.This one is ETC-N400/A1/6607.It's situated underneath the glove compartment on the sidewall.Thanks :confuse:
  • arssa2020arssa2020 Posts: 5
    hello,
    98 altiam gxe, 136k...
    this car was fine, started shaking upon start up 2 month ago..
    it shakes when u start the car for like 10-15 seconds.. happens when car ir hot/cold.. weather hot/cold....
    today it also stopped when i was driving it on FWY (scarry).. i started it and it started just fine...
    i change oil , spark plugs, filters. belts on timely basis....
    what can be the case?
    is engine/electric related?
    sometimes my dash board lights would go away, and then they will come back after 3-5 seconds when they disappear..

please help me.? when i go to mechanic, what should i look for?
    how much fix cost should i expect?
    regards
    mo
  • nels52nels52 Posts: 1
    I have 2000 Altima GLE and the instrument panel, i.e. speedometer, tach, and temp gage, will quit working every once in a while. Sometimes they freeze, sometimes they go to zero, and once in a while they'll even peg to high values. They usually come back in 5 to minutes and definitely if I stop and restart the engine. It happens more frequently when I have the speed control engaged (yes, that quits too). Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because when I called he mentioned 3 to 5 things it could be and seems to be just guessing.
  • genergener Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with my 96' Altima. What was your resolution to this?

Thanks,

Gene
  • cherrypiecherrypie Posts: 1
    Well recently I've been hearing a grinding noise coming from the passenger brake. I really don't know alot about cars either. I'm going to get it checked out though. :sick:
  • xdrtypopxxdrtypopx Posts: 1
    I have an '01 GLE and what you have described matches my symptoms to a T. Everything is right on from the gauges sticking or droping to redlining. Also, it will usually reset after a few minutes or a restart. Cruise control definatley makes it more common. It has been hapening for almost a year and a half but the dealer said they coudlnt do anything unless it happened while they had it (which would never hapen since it was so random). Now that it is out of waranty im sure they can find a solution. I have searched many times for this problem and your response is the only one i have ever scene. I did notice it went away in the winter (i live in NH) so maybe the cold dry air had something to do with it. But now that the rain and warmer air is returning i am having the same problems all over again. Also my if cruise control is set and the gauges drop my "Set" light turns off and the "Cruise" light blinks and will not let me use cruise until the car is reset. Additiaonly, the first few times it has happened the car starts to sputter and get real laggy. If i put it in Neutral and rev the engine go back in drive i can keep moving but this happens 50% of the time when the needles die.
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,743
    This sounds exactly like a problem I had with my 89 Accord. This problem actually plagued me for over a year because when the weather got cool, it went away and then returned the next summer.

With my car, it would have trouble starting and then if I tried it enough times, t would miraculously start and run fine. Finally, it was diagnosed as the fuel pump and that did the trick. Problem never happened again.
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    Gene,

Go to post #216, the procedure is there. Just print it out. I have used it about 3 times since then and it worked everytime. Good Luck!

Ken
  • maechlermaechler Posts: 1
    My 95 Altima will stop running while being driven down the road at 60 miles per hour as if the key has been turned off then back on. The dash lights come on like when you turn the key on but not to start. After a few minutes it will start up and run again. This has happened twice with about one weeks time between. I have changed the fuel filter and swapped the injector relays. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it.
    Thanks
    Rick
  • I purchased a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5s with 22000 miles on it. Since then the front struts have been replaced twice, belt tensioner once, all tires as one was about to detread at any time and cause an accident. Had to have the car aligned twice. Today we are having a radiator put in for god knows what reason. The car has 38000 miles on it. I know this is not indicative of Nissan. I am probably missing some other stuff too many to remember
  • tpowertpower Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 SE 3.5, just picked up at the dealer last week. When I get over 75 MPH there is a metallic rattling coming from somewhere under the hood around the front passenger wheel. Sounds likes something slapping the firewall or a piece of sheet metal under there. Anybody else experience this?
  • First post.

I'm basically an idiot when it comes to cars. So, here goes...

I have a 93 Altima, which has a 97 engine in it. Had a major tune-up (don't know what they did exactly) about 1.5 years ago. Haven't done much since then, except for oil change, and replaced starter.

Biggest problem I have seems to be my transmission? My problem occurs when I move in stop&go traffic, and usually during hot weather. When I get to about 35-40 mph, the RPM increases as I push the gas. It does NOT shift back down and increase my MPH. IE my car stays at 35-50 mph, while RPM climbs to 4,5,6000.

Along with this, the gear shifts are very jerky. It feels like the car wants to shift badly, but just can't do it.

Solutions that sometimes work, I pull over and give the car a break, or I can just let go of the gas to let the RPM go down, and punch the gas again.

I'm lost, having this problem for about a year. Don't know what to do. Can't find a trusted mechanic, etc. HELP ME PLEASE.

e-r-i-c-l-e-m-o-n-s-t-e-r-@-g-m-a-i-l-.-c-o-m
    (dashes added to avoid spam bots)
  • update...just spend a few minutes looking inside the engine to see if anything was amiss. found this loose tubing. should it go into that hole right there? that bigger tube w/ the hole in it, leads from the air filter. http://img209.echo.cx/my.php?image=img54464ox.gif
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The a/c started acting funny on friday...blowing cold, then warm air. Took it to the mechanic and he said it was a low pressure switch which was $49.95, labor was $50., a/c performance check was $19.99 and shop supplies were $4.20. Came to $131.59 with tax. We put on a new tire on thursday, which was another $77 for a 205/65/60 Dayton tire. So $200. this week alone. So far this year, we've spent almost $800. on our baby and it's getting to be that time folks. A real shame as we both love the car, but it's starting to nickel and dime us and with 78k miles, I really don't want to put anymore $ into it. A shame, as I've finally come to love the car, as it's a sharp looking car in the Titanium Frost color and eventhough we've taken pretty good care of it, it's just not "dependable" now.
    Drove the Corolla and Camry yesterday, but the brakes stil had that "mushy" feeling of our 4 past Toyotas, the Camry even had ABS. So Toyota is off the list.
    I liked the Mazda 3, but the wife liked the 6 better. Saw a new Jetta yesterday...very impressive, but it's still a 1st year model and I'm learey of it. She will go test drive the Jetta and the Volvo S40 today hopefully. Lastly we will look at the Honda Accord and Civic later tonight. She likes the BMW 325i, but I'm adamant against it, but she wants to test drive one, so she will.
    I wish I had Terry's crystal ball to see if the Alty will be trouble free until the '06 models come out, but doubtful he'd lend it to me. And it's funny, whenever we buy a new tire for a high mileage car that we own...we end up trading within the month.
    So that's our dilemma. We both really love our '01 Alty and hate to give it up, but it's not dependable now. And eventhough it would be cheaper to keep it, we're both not risk takers and we need our cars to be dependable and start everyday.
    What to do...? Decisions...decisions...!

The Sandman :confuse:
  • doyindoyin Posts: 22
    Most likely u need to have either the speed sensor or throttle position sensor replaced.
  • one last update, my engine is a 97 engine in a 93 altima. would that have adverse affects? plus, how can i rule out that i have a major tranmission problem so that i don't even have to bother trying to fix other minor rthings?