Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jmaxwell3333jmaxwell3333 Member Posts: 14
    apparently that is not a recall letter. They are calling it a notice and everyone should check their oil at every 700 miles. I have registered a complaint with Better Business Bureau Autoline and they are waiting a response from Nissan. Official word from Nissan yesterday 'we asked dealer to top off oil and you should return after 700 miles' even after I said 'wait a minute, you want me to get in a car that has had 17 reports of fire due to this problem and one injury? It's a death trap and you are asking me to risk my life and endanger the lives of my children and anyone on the freeway I travel on 100 miles a day in LA'. I do not want the car, and I will take whatever action needed to ensure I don't, it is just wrong. Anyone want to join me, feel free to contact me.
  • grumpfishgrumpfish Member Posts: 19
    ok so I'm supposed to top off the oil at every fill up? So who's gonna reimburse me for this oil? To burn all the oil flowing through the engine, not to mention what sits in the oil pan has got to be a lot of oil if you have to do that every 700 miles, we're not topping off the radiator with H2o which for the most part is FREE!

I've yet to hear of any fatalities in the press, perhaps this is why Nissan isn't so vocal on this for now, but certainly the gov't should be demanding a recall or options to buy back or get something else. It's absurd and thoughtless that Nissan expects us to keep driving these things while they figure it out. I'm in with anyone for a class action suit :mad:
    Agreed Grumpfish, not me...I am going to be at the head of the line. There is a lot of press on it, I typed in Nissan 06 Altima in google, and found 5 articles reported in USA & Canada. Yes, they haven't released a recall yet, but I am sure more of us experience the problems (problem too young right now) and have 'dummies' drive their cars for 700 miles to work out what they should do from there. I am sure Nissan is doing everything they can to come up with the best solution meanwhile, as I am new to this site, I have no idea how you can contact me or me you, but let me know so I can fill you in and we can go to the next step. I have the wheels in motion for no other reason than to own the car I originally intended to have, that's one with a reliable motor.
    ;) anyone with a '06 Altima should print this out as proof to fight your cause - replacing the engine while good for you will be costly to the company having this should help ya get what youre entitled to

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2006/NTB06-045.htm

find me @ http://www.carspace.com/grumpfish
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Member Posts: 12
    That is a good site you have show here :

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2006/NTB06-045.htm

it shows WHICH Altima cars have the bad rings ... there is only a range of VINs of cars which are affected by this ... those built before and after have not manifested this oil consumption issue ... most Altima owners will NOT fall into this range of numbers ... Nissan is very concerned about this and is looking into which manufacturer supplied the rings and take appropriate measures to ensure it won't happen again ... best thing to remember is ALL manufacturers are concerned about their cars ... be glad you don't have one of the 500,000 Honda Odyssey vans and CRV suvs recalled ( the fourth in three years ) , or the 987,282 Toyota Prius and Corolla models that have been recalled ... you don't hear so much about THAT on the news as those two companies think they are above reproach ... anything mechanical is bound to have issues now and then , like people do ... many Altima owners are upset , naturally , but many are vehement that Nissan would DO this to THEM ; Nissan didn't DO anything - it's an unfortunate happenstance that they are doing the best to correct ... it could have been ANY manufacturer that happened to get those rings , just happened to be Nissan that got the bad batch ...
  • varahalacvarahalac Member Posts: 1
    - 1995 Nissan Altima 4cyl
    - Check engine light did not display
    - Suspect noise comming from valves
    - Ran compression test as first stage diagnosis. Camshaft Position Sensor was disconnected from distributor.
    - All cylinders read between 180-190 psi
    - Re-installed plugs and Camshaft position sensor to distributor (the connector was very brittle and a few small plastic pieces broke but a solid conncetion was made)
    - Started car: check engine light unexpectedly displayed?? Car drove and operated normally.
    - Ran self diagnostic check: check engine light returned (1 long, 1 short).
    - Haynes manual indicates - Check camshaft position sensor. But also stated that the check engine light does not display this code and to check the LED on the computer. Could not locate LED on computer.
    - Camshaft Position Sensor connector has four pins (A,B,C,D)
    - Checked continuity between pin A and ground with ignition off - reading was 105 ohms.
    - Checked voltage between pin B and ground with ignition on - no voltage reading.

- Conclusion is that the Camshaft Position Sensor wiring harness is suspect. If the harness is suspect then why does the car operate normally? Should I replace the wiring harness?

Any help is much appreciated - thank you.
    yes Grumpfish found that today and also the news that Nissan is calling for a recall, dates not given as yet. If you call them, there is a dept dedicated to this problem and they are saying the same thing, right now there is one option, change oil, and check every 700 miles, everyone should know, if your engine sounds noisy and you have one of those VIN #'s they will replace the motor. Also, there are 2 aspects to recalls: Service Campaign - for non safety issues - car replace. Recall - safety issue, allow company to fix, the have 60 days to come up with a solution/fix, the clock started ticking on June 9..meanwhile, take it in every 700 miles, if the oil is being consumed, they'll replace the oil. Anyone, care to contact me personally, let me know how and I'll give more information
  • bob1952bob1952 Member Posts: 3
    New to this page but didn't find any problems with throttle body replacement or mafs sensor failure. Anyone had these problems and what related cost for replacement was? :cry:
  • elnino2783elnino2783 Member Posts: 5
    I just brought in my 2005 Altima 3.5SE for service because my drivers side window would rattle when I closed it. They told me some sensor wasn't working correctly and fixed that for me.
    Right after I brought it home and I put the window all the way up it would bring itself down about 6" for no apparent reason. Needless to say I brought it in again just as soon as I got it home.

The new problem I noticed when I inspected my door to make sure everything was correct was a small crack that had started on the door closest to the middle of the car, right about at where the window goes into the door. To make sure it wasn't a freak thing, I checked the passenger side dorr and it had the same crack.

I showed the maintenence guy the cracks, and he said he would note it, but figured that it was the result of 2 parts that weren't meant to be bonded, but were just painted and together and finally separated/cracked.

I'm posting here to find out if anyone has had this problem, or can inspect their cars to see if they have it. I can post pictures on the net, but they'll have to wait because it's 2am where i am.
  • galt06galt06 Member Posts: 4
    I read in our newspaper today that Nissan is recalling 97,000 Altimas and Sentras with the 2.5 engine. This was announced Thursday. A date for the recall has not been set. There have been 274 reports of excessive oil use and 24 engine fires, one with minor injury. Owners can call Nissan to find out information (800-647-7261.
  • danabuforddanabuford Member Posts: 2
    How do we know if our VIN # is affected?
    Last night I gased up the car to shy of 3/4 of a tank then drove home, which isnt far. This morning I noticed that the gauge says its just shy of 1/2 tank. The station prety much sits level, not on a hill or anything, as I drove home I saw the needle dropping and figured it to be due to acceleration, and I didnt smell gas to indicate faulty fuel pump issues so let it go at that. I've also noticed that no matter how much gas I put in, the gauge doesnt go past 3/4 of a tank.

I have noticed that my "new" Altima has been using alot of gas lately but thought it was my imagination. My sis in law also got a new Altima and she says she's noticed the same thing. We both have just over 2,000 miles, way too early for something like this to be going on.

I'm not the best at being a mechanic but I do know about keeping the air filter clean and proper air inflation in tires (usual things one expects to get better mileage).

My question is if anyone else is experiencing loss of mpg in/out of California as they recently changed the gas here in LA to summer blend. That being a joke in itself...

As if it isnt bad enough I'm drivng a carbeque :lemon:
    Treat us to rebuilt engines? I have less than 3k miles on it now, why would I want an engine with potentially higher miles on it and who knows what other history of problems it might've had in the past? I won't stand for it and neither should anyone else. If that's their stance then they should allow us an option to get out of our loans and leases or compensate us :mad:
    Yes grumpfish, that's what I am going for, once again, want to join me, let me know how to contact you or you me and I will make it happen...
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    are always an automaker option for warranty repair. Read your warranty supplement booklet.
    I called my stealer today and he told me that the affected cars were mostly bought by Enterprise car rental to be used as rentals, then at the end they decided not to purchase the whole fleet that they ordered. The remaining unbought cars were then somehow mixed into the batch for consumer purchases and now here we are.

My brother says in Japan theres a law (strict smog law) that says engines must be replaced after 25,000 miles and not to be surprised Nissan won't dump those engines into the US market (our replaced rebuilt engines) and years from now not be surprised that there will be a consumer lawsuit against them for doing this illegal action (dumping). They have to do something with those engines I suppose if this is true or if this is what they are planning to do, rather than replace new. Me I'd rather have a new car, one you remove an engine its never the same, seals dont sit flush and other things go wrong. jmax i think u can find me on my carspace with this same user name.

The kicker here is that my VIN isnt even on the list, I checked my oil today and it was almost bone dry - just under the bottom of the H hash mark. My last oil change was April 29th and here we are June 24th. So anyone who thinks they're clear because their VIN isnt listed, keep tabs on your oil
  • flacousaflacousa Member Posts: 1
    Mine is less than two months old, haven't hit the 1000 mark and already had to add ½ quart of oil.
    As you stated we bough a new car, we don't want a rebuilt engine, anyone who ever had major work done in their car knows that it will never be put back together as when it was built.
    We are a Nissan family, I traded a Maxima for the 2006 Altima, my son drives a Maxima and my daughter a Murano, if they want to keep our loyalty the least they could do is give every owner who bough the cars in question a new car, fix the one we returned and sell it as a used car.
    We will be happy and the buyers of the used cars will be happy.
    They will save the cost of the loaner car we will need while they repair ours and also their reputation.
    I have driven Nissan's for over 20 years myself and despite the 4 or more recalls from my last Altima, I remained loyal. How long after this, is up to them.
  • bduffy56bduffy56 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '06 Altima w/ 3500 miles. Just received the notice yesterday. Yep, my VIN is one of the affected ones. Checked my oil today and found none on the dipstick! It's in the shop now. Just bought the car 2 1/2 months ago and don't like the idea of paying off a piece of crap car for the next 4 years. I've owned multiple Nissans as has my family without problems. I guess when it rains, it pours! If Nissan doesn't come up with anything better than a replaced engine, then I think a lawsuit may be in order. I'm sure the decision to replace the entire car will take a bit of planning on their part since so many are affected and I'd like to give them the chance to do the right thing. I guess we'll see what pans out over the next few weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I just got an offer "I could refuse" from Nissan, a new motor...whoop de doo! Agreed, having to pay off a car with a new motor after 2900 miles in my case and 3500 mi in yours, is poor at best. Keep in touch with me if you like, as the lemon law states 'you have to allow the manufacturer to repair', a repair is one thing if it's a muffler, or failed aircon, but an entire motor???? I think that's pushing it too far, but I have advice that they can do it....I think if more of us stood up and didn't roll over and went through the motions nonetheless and 'worked on it' in the background, we could have a case.
    Even if the car runs right w/ a new motor, what about the fact that the resale value of my care is down the tubes because it doesn't have the original? Nobody in their right mind will want to buy it! Heck, I don't even want it anymore. If Nissan would just give me back my down payment and what I've paid so far on my loan, I'd be happy and probably put it toward a 2007 Altima. Right now, I feel like I've been sold a $25k piece of junk! I just hope Nissan makes this right. If not, legal action is in order.
    Anyone know anything about car values after having original motor replaced. I think that is an essential aspect of this. If there is proof that resale value decline in vehicles w/ replaced motors. I'm guessing it's a lot different than replacing an original muffler.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There shouldn't be any affect on resale value if you don't have the original motor. It's not a '58 Corvette and the next buyer won't care I don't think.

If I were in your shoes, my only complaint would be the worry after major surgery---that they plug everything back in right and don't have pieces left over.

So when you get the car back, be extra vigilant for a few weeks, about leaks, rattles, etc.
  • danutucdanutuc Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I had to replace the throttle body at aprox 65k miles, just driving down the road and it died on me, then started and wouldn't go past 10 m/hr. had to do it at dealer, cost about 700bucks including labor i believe
    I've been having this problem for a while now, the wheel shakes. I've changed the wheel bearing, i've balanced the tires, got the aligment done... nothing fixed it still shakes, what else could it be? it makes a "thumping" noise as well, which made me think that the bearing is bad, 92k miles (a friend with maxima, same mileage has the same problem, we've changed the axle on his, didnt help) Help.
    Thanks for the reply, just replaced mine last week and on it's way back to shop today. Ser. eng. light came back on and running terrible. Like being held hostage with these guys. Also mafs went out a while back and cost nearly $700 to replace. Have driven Chevy trucks since mid 80's (on fifth one now) anywhere from 120K to 205K miles and never a problem with engines or drive trains. First and last Nissan.
    well its really the only major problem i've had with the car other than the normal maintenance, i've been really pleased with the car so far, probably best car i've had so far; i've had a 01 chevy silverado 1500 as well and started noticing problems w/it at 50k; terrible gas consumption as well. had a s10; brakes went out on me going into a major intersection thank God i stopped in time, i was about to kick the bucket.
    I just remembered when i had the problem i rented the computer at autozone; it gave me two codes, it said it could either be the throttle body or air/fuel regulator... something like that; the air/fuel thing was about 750 just for the part; dealer said the same thing they ran a diagnostic.
  • pendapenda Member Posts: 1
    I am newbie please bear with me. I purchase a 94 Nissan Altima with manual 5 speed transmission 1998 with 23,058 miles on it. After reviewing the disucssion board this car has had every problem discussed. AT 38,000 miles I had to replace the starter I questioned the dealer about a starter going bad at 36,000+ miles and was advised some parts go bad. Replaced starter. At about 55,000 miles the clutch needed replacement this was starling as well. I previously owned a 89 Nissan Sentra and did not replace the clutch until 102,000 miles. At 65,000 or so miles the AC started making a strange noise and I was advise the air conditioner pulley was the problem. Repaired the pulley and the air conditioner worked about a year at the present time it does not work. Since I live in Seattle I decided I could live without the air conditioning. Seattle only has a few weeks hot weather that warranted the air conditioning a year. At 75,000 miles I was advise that there was oil leaking from the timing belt cover $800.00 to repair at the dealer. Did not know a good private shop or mechanic so it was repaired at the dealer. 92,000 miles it needed a new starter again. I once again question why did this vehicle seem to need so many starters. Dealer pretended they never heard of a problem with starters on the Altima's but the tow truck drivers new all about it. These Altimas are bad on starters they seem to know the problem before attempting to jump it. No problems with vehicle until 142,000 miles the distributor needed to be replaced barely got it off the freeway during rush hour. Replace distributor and 1 week later it needs another new starter replace starter. That is right this car has had 4 starters. Replace starter and one week later still having starter problems sometimes it would start and then sometimes it would not start. Demand that mechanic replace starter at no cost. (4th)starter. At the present time this vehicle has a blower problem it works on some settings and iintermittedly I now know it is the Blower Resistor Assembly thanks to this forum. I am also expericing the same problem with clock whenever I brake "Message 1198. I would like to know how to take care of this problem and the air conditioning it does not come on at all. Also I notice that the other posts indicated the same problems but at much higher mileage and this concerns me. Although I have spent far less on this Nissan than other vehicles I have owned but more than I have spent on a 87 Sentra and 89 Sentra. Any ideals or suggestions. Other than the problems listed above it seems to run well and I do wish to keep it. I do maintain the vehicle I religiously have the oil change every 3000 miles and if I suspect anything is wrong off to the shop it goes.
  • khenniskhennis Member Posts: 1
    I have been screwed over by the local Nissan dealership. My car's dash lights, head lights and brake lights would pulse and the car's RPM's would go down almost to 0 as I would slow down. I wasn't limited by how fast the car went at all. I took it to the local dealership and they said the I needed to have the throttle body replaced. That repair cost me $950. I picked up the car and it didn't fix a thing! The car still has the same problem it went in there with. I took it back to Nissan the day after I picked it up from the "repair" and they checked the altinator and that is what it was. Then they wanted another $550 to fix the altinator. Needless to say, I am fighting this with Nissan.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    Hi all,

Our Altima seems to make a repetitive high-pitched beeping sound when the A/C is on. I'll admit, you don't really notice it if the radio is on but now that I know it's there it drives me nuts. The beep lasts a couple seconds and occurs every 20-30 seconds. Anyone else experience this or know what it could be?

Thanks.
    Belt slippage whenever the A/C compressor cycles on? It's a little early for a belt to go bad considering the car's age. The current belt may only need its tension adjusted. (Yeah, I'm guessing.) By the way, if the belt(s) on your Altima are the multi-ribbed style, vs. the older "V" style, do NOT use belt dressing on them to cure a squeal. You'll have nothing but trouble if you do.
  • jrvjrv Member Posts: 3
    So what do I do now? I havea simular problem!!
    The recall for the tail hanger / ECM on my 2002 Altima was done last year. At 76K miles the check engine light came on and the catalytic converter was replaced (under warranty). At about that time I noticed that the engine started to consume oil. The dealership has done an oil consumption test and verified that it is greater than 1 qt. / 1000 miles.
    Nissan’s (Corporate) response is that the engine is out of warranty. Local dealer wants documented oil change at 3000 miles interval before they will proceed further. I have the oil changed regularly (may not have the receipts) and I routinely check it – that’s how I found the problem.
    Based upon what I have read I believe the pre-cat has probably failed which resulted in the engine oil consumption. How can I prove this? Ask the dealership to inspect the pre-cat (at my expense?) and to replace if necessary? What then, how can I get Nissan to accept liability for the failure?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • kjabastakjabasta Member Posts: 1
    Was driving to pick up son from school and the check engine light came on ,drove home and the next day my altima wouldn't start. Took it to Midas they said needed a new battery and that a belt was coming off they put the battery in and made the light go off. The next morning the car wouldn't start again,took it back they said it needed a new starter, they put one in and made the light go off,the came back on once i got home. Took it back to midas they said they dont no whats wrong. Emission problems
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    To me it doesn't seem like a belt squeal. It sounds more like an electronic beep that is emitted from something related to the A/C.
    Oh.
    Had better luck on second trip to repair the problem. The repair shop that replaced the throttle body was a spinoff of a local nissan dealership. I was a little hesitant at first to let him work on it and after not running well after the replacemnet thought I had really made a bad decision. He asked me to bring it back in and let him have another look and turned out to be a drive shaft sensor also. He replaced it and car is running great. $31.17 part/no labor. The Nissan dealership had quoted $900+ to replace the throttle body (this guy charged $570). So at the end of the day, look around people, there's some good honest mechanic/technicians that are very capable, just have to search them out. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif
    smile
    And, as you found out, even the best of the honest ones don't always get the problem fully sorted out on the first try. (Current cars ain't our grampas' Model Ts.) Enter this dude's number for speed dial.
  • jcatalinejcataline Member Posts: 6
    i have a 97 nissan altima which over heated on my son. I removed the sparks plugs and cranked it over. i had water coming out of the plugs holes. i have loosen and or removed the components to take off the cylinder head. I tried prying up ,per Haynes Repair Book, but it's lifting up maybe 1/8". I removed the upper timing chain. Do i need to remove the lower. The book says nothing about it.
    if anyone has any info, i would greatly appreciate it.
  • fxcardenfxcarden Member Posts: 8
    I have the exact same problem, however, my dealer immediately offered to replace the front cat and the engine at no cost to me......I am still mulling it over. If you check on NissanForums.com, you'll find more info there.
  • bperkbperk Member Posts: 38
    Hi all… Well along with the 85K + 06 Altima owners my new 2 month old car has the issue. I purchased a Special Edition S model back in May and was really enthused about how great this car was until I received the notice. FYI.. I’m still pursuing an incident with the dealership when the finance mgr tried to get me to waive my 36K\3yr warranty for more money off the purchase price but I’ll follow up with that separately.

Anyway, the dealer rep in the service dept is a great guy. He has been taking care of my wife’s 04 Quest through all the BS we had with the 04 Quest and has worked wonders with this saga to the point where all is well with the van. I totally trust this guy as he has been very straight forward with me and helped us out plenty with the van. His guys are also great as well. Have worked with me all the way, taken me in the work bays, got under the vehicle, pointed things out, so I know there straight up and no BS. I think you get the point that I trust them. They do have a good name in the area.

Now, onto the 06 Altima. Here are his comments. He said the problem is with the piston rings not seating correctly during the engine breaking in due to defective parts (the rings). He said not all cars, even if they are in the VIN range will have the issue. First he said not to baby the engine, push it a few times, get it revved up, don’t be afraid, this will actually help the engine break in. My second question was about the replacement engine as I heard that rebuilt engines were being used. He said that what they do is salvage the engine block, as this is the most expensive part of all the parts, they clean it up and stuff it full of new parts where applicable.

Then he said don’t be nervous about this as he is fully aware of peoples concerns over this process of ripping out a factory installed engine. He said it takes 3 days to complete. One day out, one day in, then one day to configure and calibrate everything and test drive all the working parts. His guys have done it many times on other cars. His tone, honesty and reputation with me over the past have put my mind at ease if I need a new motor. Time will tell. I will keep you all updated.
    I've been having this problem for a while now, the wheel shakes. I've changed the wheel bearing, i've balanced the tires, got the aligment done... nothing fixed it still shakes, what else could it be? it makes a "thumping" noise as well, which made me think that the bearing is bad, 92k miles (a friend with maxima, same mileage has the same problem, we've changed the axle on his, didnt help) Help.

Also when I lay off the accelerator, after about a second the car seems to break instantly, minor but noticable, breaks are good, rotors are good.... what could it be..?
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Member Posts: 12
    You are right - Nissan , and believe me , dealers , salesmen , service personnel , are all concerned about this , and are doing whatever it takes to correct any problems with the piston rings in affected engines.

What concerned me is what you said about the finance manager trying to get you to waive the 36K/36mo new car warranty. This is not something that can even be done , to my knowledge. I've been selling cars for over 23 years , 10 with Toyota and 13 with Nissan , and have never heard of any finance manager ever doing that. It is something that is part of the new car itself , along with the 60K/60mo powertrain warranty , and is not something that is negotiable. It is yours period. The finance manager usually tries to sell an extended service contract ( which I recommend and always get when I purchase a car ) but even if you don't opt for that the new car warranty cannot be taken away or waived. I wouldn't want to work with someone who would try to do that. We work hard to overcome the "bad car dealer" stereotype and don't want someone to perpetuate that. If he did indeed offer that , he should be reported , and preferably dismissed.
  • jrvjrv Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if this was sent on the first try ...

Can you be a bit more specific as to mileage, extended warranty, etc. Was the vehicle always dealer serviced or did you do your own oil changes??

Thanks.
  • myaltima05myaltima05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Alitma S 5-speed and initially had the same problems with the oil level. I began to take the vehicle to the dealer for the oil changes so that there were no issues of blaming some other "shop." I had them mark on the recpt the oil level when it came in. The good news is that I now have 22k+ miles and no issues with the oil. It appears that the issue involves the break in period. Granted some vehicles seem to have a more involved problem but I can honestly say that after about 5k-8k miles I no longer noticed an oil issue. Hope this helps.
    You're absolutely correct. Dealers don't warrant new cars, the automakers do. Even the automakers have very limited recourse in refusing to follow through on covering warranty repair work unless they can prove owner neglect or improper operation was the cause of malfunction/component failure. That's not usually an easy sell in court.
  • wwjcdo55wwjcdo55 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a Nissan Altima 06 near the end of may. 10 days later got the sad letter from Nissan. Stating they were gonna take 60 day's to make a decision on what to do. I am willing to join up in a class action lawsuit but unsure how ? i dont want another Nissan figured if there's one bad apple they are many more ! my 06 vin. matched Nissan list of the bad ones.(wwjcdo55)
  • amarkutamarkut Member Posts: 5
    bperk,

I responded to you on another post regarding the warranty (dropping suggested by the dealer). I would check that out very closely!

I helped my mom purchase an 06 Altima SE early week of June. I negotiated for her off the lot $21,300, came home and PANICKED because my husband told me the day prior, in the paper, there was a HUGE recall on 06 Altimas.

Her car was safe-the serial number is not w/in the time frame that these defective cars were manufactured. (I wondered why there were only a few 06's on the lot!) The dealership pulled ALL of the recalled 06's before we got there.

If,and I mean IF, your dealership caught wind of the recall inadvance-maybe they were trying to get rid of these cars fast to make some profit and tried to get rid of the warranty knowing full well these cars would be defective.

Check your serial # and soon-the defect causes fires in the engines or brakes-I can't remember exactly! My mom's car is doing great and my 3.5 SL-fully loaded 2 yrs old is great too. Good Luck!
    Angie
  • bigboi1881bigboi1881 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I bought an Altima Special Edition S yesterday for a lease for 39 months. When I got home I did some research and found out about the recalls. I pick up my car on Monday and I am going to show the saleman the article about the recall.

How do I find out if my car is affected. I see the poster above me mentioned to check the serial#

Also should I be that worried since I am only going to have this car for about 3 yrs.