Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lkytelkyte Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 2.5S and have had the same problem more than once. I just got the car back from the dealership yesterday to have it fixed yet again. What they tell me is that there is air getting into the cooling system and once the air pocket works its way into the heater core you will hear this noise. They say it is fixed by "bleeding" the system but sometimes a simple bleeding doesn't work and they have some sort of a vacuum that can get the air out. They said the air got in from my radiator being cracked I guess?? But it seems strange to me that I should now be on my 3rd radiator in 4 years...so I don't know how the air is really getting in but they should be able to fix it at the dealership...I have found MANY people with this same complaint which leads me to believe this must be a design flaw in the cooling system.
  • dvgoldmandvgoldman Member Posts: 1
    1999 Altima. Both the drivers side and passengers side power windows will not go all the way down any more and almost get stuck when i take them as far down as they will go. Do you know what this problem may be caused by and how to fix it? much appreciated.
  • rsk07rsk07 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem after buying my new 05 altima 3.5se. Got tired of the noise, took it to dealer. They said i needed a new radiator. Got it replaced at 15k miles. Noise gone. Just one of the problems i'v had with this crap car.
  • bear26bear26 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info, Im not happy with mine either. Have you noticed how rough it shifts too??
  • ckjesckjes Member Posts: 6
    I bought the aux cable and have tried my mp3 player and ipod.

But it does not work.

The problem is there is too much each.

Sounds likes is is not connected right.

I'm planning to take my car to the dealer next week.

ANy comment??
  • bear26bear26 Member Posts: 12
    FYI I had the radiator bled and refilled and this has stopped the noise...so far. Heard from Nissan this is a very very common problem. I really hope the redesigned 07 altima's are way better than these. Thanks again everyone
  • callaiscallais Member Posts: 3
    While driving, the Altima will slow down until idle, even with the accelerator pressed. The engine won't rev up. If I put it in park, it will rev up, but not in any gear. I have to turn the car off for a few seconds to remedy this. What is the cause?? Thank in advance
    Check the battery in your key fob. It sounds silly, but mine was doing the same thing. I noticed it more so when I was in close proximity of the car with keys in hand or keys in car.
  • youasked4ityouasked4it Member Posts: 2
    Cleck your transmission fluid
  • mocity3mocity3 Member Posts: 1
    klcfreespirit,

Well I've just found this website as well and I'm amazed that I'm not the only one out there having these problems. I have an 02' Altima w/114k and my warranty just ran out. My altima started last year with some of the same problems. My heater also doesn't run on idle but that wasn't a big deal for me at the time since I live in Houston, so I thought! My Transmission was replaced about roughly 10 months ago. Lucky for me my warranty was still good at the time. But when I turned it in, I also told them that the check engine light was on. Supposly they fixed every thing. About a month later my transmission was having problems again. So I took it back and again they fixed it(this was around 98k). then a month or so my check engine light came on again, but of course this time my warranty was finished. I had a mechanic check it and it read o2 sensor and reading high rpm. They cleared it stating it was good to go. Then an other month or two went by the check engine came on again. but this time the car would all of a sudden shut off on me while i was on idle! Again I took it in and they stated that my o2 sensor was out,but they couldn't figure why it was shutting off. Again they fixed it but today it shut off on me again and it takes off really slow. Of course the check engine light came back on! Tomorrow I'm going to the dealership to ask for some help. love my car but every thing is going down hill in the last year. Also Do any of yall have a sound of water gurgling when yall accelerate? It sounds as it is coming from behind the dash board. Well I need help! :confuse: I just want my car back to normal!
  • snitch56snitch56 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Altima 3.5 SE with 13,000 miles. When the car is cold and idling between 800-1000 RPM the engine is quiet. After driving and reaching operating temperature there is a "tick, tick, tick, etc..." sounding similar to a sewing machine at idle (800 RPM). The noise is heard best in the car and it sounds as if it is coming from behind the gauge cluster. This noise sounds different from the fuel injector "tick".

Does anyone else have a similar noise or is my car special?
    Thanks in Advance
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    Do you only here the tick when you are driving? If so you might have a nail,screw, or rock in your front tire. Hope thats the problem.
  • snitch56snitch56 Member Posts: 2
    The tick happens when the car is stationary in park, neutral or in gear. The frequency of the ticking increases proportionally to the RPM’s of the engine. I am hoping it may be the alternator or PS pump bearing that ticks when it gets warm. I will troubleshoot it some more before going to the dreaded dealer.
  • amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    A little bit long but I want to be as detailed as possible.

My car's battery could be completely drained overnight and mechanic could not find anything wrong. So I bought a portable powerstation and jumpstart the car every time I needed to drive it. Since the battery is so drained, the car alarm would sound whenever I connected the powerstation to the car because it wasn't "aware" of the door was opened with a key. One day as usual, I popped up the hood and connected the external battery. There was no alarm sound. The panel lights were normal but when I turned the key, the engine clicked but could not crank up. Since then, I changed the spark plugs but that did not help. Sometimes the engine would start at the very first try but it would immediately shut down again.

Anybody can pls tell me what is wrong?
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    it sounds like the altenator isn't charging the battery. It could either be the atenator itself, or the belt could be worn, causing it to slip. if the mechanic can not find what is wrong, find another mechanic.
    Trans fluid is ok. I have notice that the alternator wires look a little burnt. I do some testing tonight, but I have an appt. for Wednesday at the local Nissan dealer, ....he seemed to think it might also be an alternator issue.
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    I woul place money it is the alternator.
    I think you can check by starting the car, then disconecting the battery. If it dies, its the altenator. If it continues running, its the battery.
  • amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    I am a bit confused. My car now can't start even with the good external/portable battery. All I get is the click. Even if it was the alternator, the engine should start with a good external battery because that is what it takes. This is my understanding how the engine starts.

Also, my car started fine with the portable battery for 3 or 4 months before it failed. And actually after each drive, if I did not let my car sit for more than 1 hour, I could start the engine with the previous "drained" "on board" battery. This tells the alternator did charge the battery.

Once, after a long drive, I disconnected the "on board" battery when it was supposed to be fully recharged and let the car sit for 3 days. The engine started fine with the "on board" battery when it was connected back. This tells the battery did get recharged from the alternator and it held the power.

One thing I can't understand is why the alarm did not sound any more when I connected the external battery to the car. I think this tells sth. but I don't know what it is. Any extra thoughts?
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    I believe you are messing up the electrical system by constantly using the external battery. The external battery should be used for emergency service only. If there is a problem in the electrical system, it should be fixed quickly.
    It sounds like something in the car is draining the battery overnight after you park your car. This is called a "parasitic current draw". Since you have made NO mention of checking the battery volts or altenator volts with a voltmeter (which it the FIRST thing you should have done) I would assume you are basicly a non-technical person, so I won't delve into the specifics here. I recommend you take the car to a reputable auto shop and have them check the electrical system, and do a Parasitic current draw test on the electrical system. The "parasite" that is drawing the current out of your battery could be a small light bulb that stays on, or a bad electronic module, or a bad alternator, or a number of other things.
    If you want to know more about checking for parasitic current draw, I can post it later.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. ISF
  • jennnissanjennnissan Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1997 Nissan Altima GXE whichs need a new CV joint from the drivers side. I have called a Nissan dealership and provided my VIN number to have them tell which part was needed and if my car has a limited slip differential, but they could not tell from the VIN number. Another mechanic looked at my car and said he would first need to take out the axle to tell. Does anyone know of a way to tell if my car has a limited slip differential without removing the axle?
    This is going to sound very basic.
    1. Are you certain that your lights are going off automatically?
    2. Is there a component that does not turn of? Years ago, csr radios stayed on even if the ignition was turned off.
    3. How are your belts?

4. You are starting to get a good example of why all the electronics may not be true advancements.And,

5. Was your car ever exposed to water damage? Tracking where it came from in its life might tell you, since flooding information is widely known. I do not think I would believe in a carfax report re flooding.
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    Does anybody have problems with this technology? I have to say the command several times before it will take. I say a name and it comes back with something totally unrelated. It gets very frustrating when I repeat myself a half dozen times. The clarity is very good, but commands aren't taken very well.
  • mammoladymammolady Member Posts: 3
    I just bought 3.5SL a few weeks ago and when I test drove it I felt my leg vibrating around 40MPH. The salesman assured me that it was from the car sitting on the lot and that the tires will round out after 50-100 miles. It didn't happen and the service guy said give it 500miles. So, I put on the extra miles and still felt it. I also started hearing a humming noise from the dash or frnt driver door at around 25MPH. I brought it in and they changed a tire and said they heard no humming. I left and the problems were still there. Had to return again and they had it all this week. Said it was ready 5 days later and I got in it and it still is not fixed, neither problem. They've replaced both rear tires and packed the dash with foam kit. I'm so frustrated. I live an hour away and my husband is deployed. I bought it so I won't have to be binging a car in for service anymore. I refused to take the car and demanded a replacement or my old car and my money back. They said a few times that Nisan would have to decide that. I think that is BS. The sales man misled me and they should stand by their product. I don't have the time for this. My husband returns in a month and then we have to move to another state. I raised hell in the showroom and the last they said was that the mangers would have to sit down to see if they can give me a replacement car. I think I should've stayed there until they did, but I was missing my daughter's receital at the time. Any advice on what to do? Should I go out there on Memorial Day and raise hell in a busy showroom?
    Most of the time, vibrating is caused by the tires not being balanced. It seems odd they would replace to rear tires, as improperly balanced front tires are what causes that. depending on the value of your time, you may just want to bite the bullet and take it to a place that specializes in tires/front ends (merchants, tire kingdom, NTB ect) and have them check it out for you.
  • fdonchezfdonchez Member Posts: 1
    I've experienced the check engine (haven't had the codes read today becuase of the holiday) light coupled with no tach (0) no speedo (0) and no reading for the gear it is in. Also, you have to give alot of gas to move a little. Then this morning, check engine on but it works fine. Any thoughts?
  • balut228balut228 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 Altima S and my mp3 player doesn't work right with the aux input either. What did your dealer say when you took it in?
    Sorry to hear of all your problems with your new Altima! I've really enjoyed mine, but have had a couple of minor vibs too. My roof, head liner that I believe is velcroed to the roof breaks away and causes a lot of vibration within the cabin of the car. All you do is push on it and it re-attaches.

If I were you I'd have a complete meltdown with the manager! Car dealers are like insurance companies, they never like to live up to promises. Last thing they want to do is give you a new car or your money back. I'd tell them to give you a car to use until it is fixed and they have 3 days to do it, or they'll be hearing from your attorney! Also tell them it won't look very good for everybody in the next 3 counties to know how you were treated, especially with your hubby serving his country (sincerely thank you by the way) and you guys being on the move. Tell them the car gets fixed once and for all, they take it back and give you a new one, or they can give you your money back. Those are the only options. Good luck, it really is an awesome car, but things like this certainly take away from enjoying it! All the best.
  • bruceb01bruceb01 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my '07 Altima 2.5S on Tuesday and the Aux Input isn't working correctly either. The sound starts out OK becomes muffled and then is gone completely. Let me know what you guys find out.
    FYI: About a month ago, my daughters 2002 Altima 2.5S w 93K miles had a Combustion leak into the cooling system. Engine is a 4 cylinder 2.5L. I wondered if anyone has seen this in the Altimas before. I don't think it is a common problem, as I have not seen it discussed here or elsewhere before. The problem was noticed when the Altima radiator started running hot, she said the A/C was not cooling anymore. I found the temp gauge was running hot and coolant in the radiator was low. I filled it up and a day or two later it was low on coolant again, with no noticable external leaks. I filled the radiator again and watched it with the radiator cap OFF, and I saw bubbles rising out of the top of the radiator.
    Here were my assumptions: I assumed it must be combustion gas. She had also complained that the car would be hard to start on cold starts and the engine would run very rough for about 45 seconds, then smooth out and drive fine, until the next COLD start. So I also assumed that a small amount of coolant would drain from the cooling system into the cylinder through a small leak between the cooling system and the combustion chamber/cylinder when the engine was shut off, and pressure was high in the cooling system until it cooled down. Then when started cold, the small puddle of coolant in the cylinder would splash and foul the spark plug for a short time until the gases being pumped through the cylinder cleared the spark plug and it started firing normally.
    What I did was get a bottle of Bars Leak Pelletized cooling system sealer and pour it in the top of the radiator, filled it up, put the cap back on, and run the engine for a while and then drove the car for a short trip. All the problems immediatley went away, and have stayed away so far, so my assumptions must have been correct. I just hope that the problem stays fixed. I would not look forward to having to pull the Cylinder Head to have to replace the head gasket and maybe the head itself. It could add up to a lot of money. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I told my daughter it's time to look for another car.
  • dpchurchdpchurch Member Posts: 1
    I have been told by my dealer that there is absolutely "NO anticipated arrival date for the AC compressor." I have a 2002 3.5 SE V6 Altima and am baffled as to how a 5 year old car can have NO parts in stock. If I am to believe the mechanic, and he has been fine in all other problems, it is the first time in his 11 years that this has happened. There is another car on the list with the same problem. Even the auction houses only have them for 2.5 engines. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to push some buttons - addresses or phone numbers of a contact at Nissan perhaps? My car is too young to be obsolete.
    After a lifetime of owning cars with no available parts, my re-direction was to a "salvage" yard. There was a time when they let you bring your own tools and help yourself to what you needed. I suspect that the alternator would be one which they hve pulled and have sitting on a shelf somewhere. At a fraction of the dealer price. Now, you have to find a mechanic who knows what he is doing. In the good old days, I was able to change altenators in just a few minutes, although these days I would not try to do so. (To old.)
    Costco just changed my 205 to a 215. B.F. Goodrich, which they told me is mfg. by Michelin. Another tire sales firm that Costco sent me to for an alignment said that the 215 is to large for th car. Costco showed me a computer read out from Michelin which showed that I could go up to 215. I think I have a slight shimmy with the larger size. In the old days, you could move up rarely close in sizes. I have found nothing that tells me that Costco is correct, but I assume that with all the tires the sell, they should know. They did not tell me they were installing all weather tires. I had hope that this would help with mileage. Around town I only get about 22mpg. Oh for my old MR2 with over 1/4 million miles and 30+ mpg. That was one hell of a car.
    sounds like the head gasket was leaking.
    It's 6/8/07 and I stil don't have the car. Yesterday, I was told that they are now replacing the transmission. I've filed Lemon Law papers and have to see if they have it another 9 days before I can ask for money back or replacemnet from the manufacturer. The dealer refuses to give me another car. No matter what I say or complain, they say that they can't do that. I'm hoping they will stall on fixing the car and have it long enough so I can get a replacement from Nissan. I'm a mess. I can't and don't have the time for this. I've gone to legal on base and they said the dealer doesn't have to give me another car or money back and the only thing is Lemon Law. So much for being a loyal Nissan owner for over 7 yrs.
  • carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    I would suggest that you call the factory. I believe that there are some numbers in your manual. I have not read all the links but sounds like Nissan (above the dealer) might step in. The dealers have limited power to pull or replace a car. They like loyal owners and explain your situation. I would suggest that you document the steps you have done down prior to calling so that you do not leave anything out.

They often send factory folks out to the dealer to review the case, talk to the owner, etc. This does not sound normal to have this many problems.

It is worth a shot. The car is really a nice car and from other owners I have spoken with, issues have been minimal.
    Look at file 2002, the post after yours. The guy has a good idea! They always have field reps that take a look at debacles like yours. I'd stay silent for the next several days and hope they eat up the ten day lemon law limit. Then tounce on them big time. A dealer could give you a car to use however. Well the best of luck, keep us posted.
    It is now 25 days that they have my car. Nissan field rep only called to make sure the service dept was keeping me informed. They are now replacing my transmission! The nissan rep pretty much wrote me off after they approved of that. He asked if I had any other questions, then said that he'd leave the file open, but pretty much he wouldn't be calling agin. I have 5 more days before I can file arbitration paperwork. I've already filed the Notification of Defect paperwork after 15 days. My luck they'll have it fixed on day 29. I've been calling the dealer trying to get someone to help me and acknowledge that they should replace the vehicle, but nothing. In fact I called today to talk with the next higher up person which is the general manager, he refused to speak to me. Wouldn't even take my phone call. Told the lady answering the main phone line to tell me he will not speak to me.
    Brilliant deduction, since I mentioned that in my post.
    if you know its the head gasket, why don't you fix it. kind of important part to be fudging with leak sealer. and even though it could be a bad head (i personaly doubt it) your never going to find a five year old car for less money than a head gasket replacement. head gaskets wear out, especially if the car overheats. But, if the rest of the car is in good condition, it would be much more economical to have it fixed.
  • grumpybunnygrumpybunny Member Posts: 2
    we recently bought a 1995 Altima for our 16 year old and the sunroof won't open and leaks. He would really like to get it fixed. Any ideas on what could be wrong??
    probably the motor. there realy isn't a whole lot else that can go wrong.

that is, if your talking about a power sunroof. but first, check and make sure its not just a blown fuse.
  • grumpybunnygrumpybunny Member Posts: 2
    I'm sorry..yes it is a power sunroof. No we haven't checked the fuses yet. Any idea where the fuse would be? My husband isn't much help. He doesn't see putting a whole lot of money into fixing the car up. He said to forget it and just caulk it back up. We only paid 600.00 for it.
    the fuse will just be in the fuse box somewhere below the steering column. near the hood release is. if its not a fuse, its probably the motor. And to fix that could cost as much as the car.
    Actually, for $600 you'd better not be expecting a lot of miles.A set of new tires could run you half od you purchase price. Considering a new sunroof lists for over $1,000, I would think that with all of the shops around that install aftermarket sunroofs, you could find sdomeone local who would be reasonable. How about looking at Craigs list for your location?
    Get an attorney and sue them! they don't sound like reputable people!
  • slavemomslavemom Member Posts: 3
    I bough the car new last year. Have had it to one dealer DAVID MCDAVID too many times to count they could not find the problem said it was NORMAL to drip water on your right foot due to condensation so they insulated everything. In the winter the problem went away.This dealer said DO NOT COME BACK.they referred me to CLEAR LAKE NISSAN.Hs been there twice they say they CANNOT smell it?? IT makes my kid sick when she gets in the car I was then told to spray LYSOL in the air intake to killthe mold which was probably the cause.IT dripped AGAIN the other day on my foot.WHY CANT THEY FIGURE THIS OUT> anyone else have this issue with the car..WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN THIS HAS BEEN A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE
    The Best way to fix a sunroof on a $600 car:

Don't open the sunroof, ever. Get up on the roof with a chaulking gun and a tube of silicon seal and run a heavy bead of silcon seal all around the edge of the sunroof. Carefully smooth it out all the way around, and let it dry.
    Wha La! No more leak!
    Great advice from grumpy. How many times in life have we spend dollars and tried to fix things that we never used again?

I have a working sun roof and rarely use it. However, unlike many people, I do use my A/C, despite the impact on mileage.
  • taiyutaiyu Member Posts: 3
    hi guys, i just recently got 2003 Altima 3.5 SE , it starts to have a noisy sound from the wheel when i hit 50km/hr, it gets louder when i drive longer. does anyone of u have any idea what is the problem. leave me the message , thanks