Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• airlinemechairlinemech Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Thank you so much for your info on this problem.I tried your fix for the overtemp with Bars Leak fixer and it worked. It's with gratitued and thanks.You pervented me from making a big financhial mistake with other fixes in the maitenance manuels. Ironicaly it is my daughters Altima as well. I plan to sell it as soon as we can.
  • michaelfranksmichaelfranks Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just changed the plugs, cables, rotor and distributor cap to get rid of the mis-fire. Plugs, 2 & 4 have oild on them. The mis-fire remains.

What's next or get rid of the Nissan?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I trust you will consider warning the new owner, because this repair is only temporary and will re-appear.
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    You now have a temporary fix. In the old days, the unethical used sawdust in transmissions. Don't be like one of them. Tell the buyer. You might decide to change the sell price.
  • Why not take it to a good mechanic as opposed to randomly replacing parts? A scope should easily find the problem. I had to replace a fuel injector when the car was running rough. I have over 140k and the car is running strong.

Good Luck

Ken
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    Of course he wont. people like him are the reason I will NEVER buy a used car again in my life. 85% of the time, if somebody is selling a car; it's because there is a major problem with it.
    I would rather stay out of a shooting war. I tend to agree that people do not sell cars that they are using without problems (at times the problems may be easy to fix.) I solved the used car problem for years by going to auctions. This gave me ample time to check everything. The best deal I ever got was in late 1986, a Toyota Mr2 for #3,600 I recently sold it on e bay. It had 1/4 million miles. , it needed some body work and repair of a tranny leak. I told the buyer. He called me afterward and told me how happy he was with the car. When I solfd it, I got 30+ mpg. That is what I call a deal.
  • bdp68bdp68 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 99 altima with 4cyl,, auto someone used the car last night and when i picked it up it has not been running right.. he said he had to put some oil in it and it looks like he might have overfilled it but not by much..i drove it a couple miles and the check engine light is on and blinking.. any suggestions
    Blinking engine light is not a good thing. You should use the car very little if at all until you get this looked at. Sounds like maybe you have a cylinder misfire which is causing unburned fuel to enter the catalytic converter, stressing it out and sending an emergency signal to the ECM.

Another possibility is that someone put in a huge amount of oil, and this is also stressing the catalytic, -- but in this case you'd probably have lots of smoke out the tailpipe.
  • muff1muff1 Member Posts: 1
    my cat is going out too it barely passed smog wich one of your cat's went out? the front or rear?
  • angela0630angela0630 Member Posts: 2
    I completely agree with you!! Nissan needs a reality check! I have a 2002 Nissan Altima. I purchased it in 2004, 3 months into the purchase I had to have the transmission rebuilt, I had to take it back 9 TIMES before it was fixed properly. Recently, my daughter was driving the car and the exact same thing happened to her. She went to accelerate, and nothing. Then when she put it into park and back into drive it would not go. We had the car towed to the Nissan Dealership and they told us we would need a new transmission to the tune of $3800. THEN, 7 days later, the car is still in the shop, they call and say a "cradle" on the transmission had broken while they were trying to repair it, due to rust, so it would be another $178.00 for the cradle...then the said it would be another $$$900 to have the cradle welded into place. The car is worth about $4000 I just put $5000 into it... Not counting the first rebuilt transmission at 2300.00... WAKE THE HELL UP NISSAN. Don't you see the unhappy customers you are running away because you won't step up! :lemon: :lemon:
  • bdp68bdp68 Member Posts: 3
    i checked the oil and it was over but not by much .. the guy who used it said it started acting up and the light came on and thats when he put oil in ( he said 1 quart) i drove it about 2 miles and it would go from light on and when i slowed down it would blink.. ty 4 the help i am gonna go to autozone in morning and have them check since they do it free
  • biggrobs15biggrobs15 Member Posts: 10
    Hello my cars check engine light went on I got code P0507 (Idle control system malfunction) Any suggestions. I need to do Smog Test but with this code I dont think it will pass. I was thinking of getting a new Catalyc Converter but I dont know if this is the problem, I dont want to replace parts that I might not need. :sick:

Than You
  • biggrobs15biggrobs15 Member Posts: 10
    Hello I have Code P0420 Does this mean I have to change the Catalyc Converter????
    No, it means you have to check the warm-up three way catalyst (California models) or Three way catalyst (Non-California models).

Here's your HOMEWORK :P

Checking Catalytic Converters
  • 3gennissanfan3gennissanfan Member Posts: 1
    JUST BOUGHT AN 07 ALTIMA 4 CYL,907 TITLE,HIT ON LEFT FRONT SIDE, BATTERY ACID DRIP ON THE COMPUTER N IT WOLDN'T START SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE,IT STILL WONT START,EVERYTHIN WORKS;THE LIGHTS,THE SIGNAL,BRAKE LIGHTS,DASHBOARD N INSIDE LIGHTS,RADIO,BUT AFTER U INSERT THE "SMART KEY FAB" EVERYTHING GOES OFF, DEALER WON'T TAKE THE CAR BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE PLATES ON IT,HELLO IS A 907, HAVE TO PASS INSPECTION FIRST,ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?? IS A PRESENT FOR MY WIFE N I WANT TO GET IT INSPECTED B4 XMAS, THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP
  • 06zx1406zx14 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there had a dome light that works intermitintly? My light stays out most of the time and some times it will come on if I tap on it. I've changed the bulbs a few times and the problem persists.
  • henryebhenryeb Member Posts: 1
    hi guys,
    am trying to get replacements for my struts, shock absorbers, brake disc and pads.
    i see a lot of variables......ceramics, slotted, kyb, etc
    am a little confused.
    which ones will give me the best perfomance
    i have a 2005 3.5SE altima
    thanks
    BIG question but let's get started:

Here's a good quick description of different types of brake pads:

BRAKE PAD TYPES

And once you know the terminology, here's a great FAQ section on pads and rotors:

Questions About Brakes and Rotors

As for struts, KYB is okay. Always buy quality in struts--stay away from any "bargains", they simply will not last. I like Bilstein and Koni but they aren't cheap.
  • angela0630angela0630 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2002 and the dome light has never worked correctly. First the overhead dome went, and workes when it wants to... then the map lights started going. Finally the plug in's for cell phone chargers/lighters went. Not quite sure what the issue is. :(
    You might check to see if the same fuse works all three items---if so, check that fuse and its holder. You might have a bad ground in this circuit but finding it might not be easy.
  • debubbadebubba Member Posts: 1
    Check on passenger side of engine below a maze of railings---it is attached to the breather/seperator. Look directly in line with the N in Nissan towards the firewall. Inaccessible from above. Must be removed from below. You can barely see it from above, peeping and taunting you!!! :cry::cry::cry: I am going to evaluate the situation from below on my '95 Altima tomorrow and see whether to remove the IAC valve or the power steering to get at the blame thing. This is not a job for the meek or stupid-- but I'm gonna try anyway!
    P.S. Why didn't the morons at Nissan just put it in the gas tank and give you a fishing line and hook to remove it!!! :mad:
  • sasyamxsasyamx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 that just started running rough only at idle, it just had a new tune up, the check engine light did come on and it had a p0171 code come up. In the book it says fuel system function lean side, in auto zone book that same code says bank one on the lean side , and the guy says it is a oxygen sensor upstream that is bad . Has anybody had this code and know for sure what it is before i spend $120. on a sensor. thanks
  • dmforcedmforce Member Posts: 4
    There has been a recall on oxygen sensors in my 2002 Altima - perhaps yours too?
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    my 03 murano needed a new gas cap at about 35000 miles. my new altima's gas cap seems to loosen on its own, sometimes i can tighten it and the light goes off, sometimes i can't and it stays on.

anyone else having issues with nissan gas caps.

the dealer is taking its time replacing the altima's cap.

thanks, rr70
    I sure as hell would not wait for a dealer to take care of this. (You are talking about a two second fix.) It is a good example of why the "big 3" are now looking for cash. If I were you I would buy myself an aftermarket cap, rather than let the loose one do its damage. If you can't locate one, try your nearest junkyard. Then send the dealer an invoice for your time and trouble. And make sure that you write to the GM at the dealership, telling him how you have posted this complaint for others to see.
  • junior5junior5 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE and the gauges on the dashboard will be working fine and then after driving a little way they stop working. They all show as if the car was off. It does not effect the driving of the car. I do not lose any power at all. They will come back on then go out again. The battery and alternator are new. Has anyone run into this before?
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Member Posts: 12
    Greetings rr70 ... Working for Nissan for 16 years I have never seen a Nissan come into this dealership with a gas cap that loosens on its own, or even a loose one for that matter, even on trades much older than yours ... I have never had a problem from the eleven in my family, from the '92 Stanza to the "Z" Roadster I now have ... asking around, no one else here has either, and that includes a technician who has been here for 36 years ... don't know what to say - not saying it doesn't or can't happen just that yours seems to be a rare case, and two in one ownership would be exceptionally rare ...

Has anyone else out there had a problem with self-loosening gas caps ?
  • dsantos0815dsantos0815 Member Posts: 4
    hey tarnmaster when is a proper time to do a full tune up? and also when are the brakes normally have to be change? :confuse:
  • newnissannewnissan Member Posts: 6
    At 12,000 miles, and less than 10 months, I hear squeaking in my brakes in the past few days, and it's fairly cold here, not hot enough to evaporate moisture. Before I take it in and have them tell me "oh that's normal", is this common on 2008 Altima SEs or is it just water logged after one of those drive it through car washes that I went through last weekend perhaps? Stupid question but I can't believe I have problem brakes this early in the game.
  • dsantos0815dsantos0815 Member Posts: 4
    hey altimadude00 i had the same problem. i have a 05 as well and i went to the dealer to find out the clicking noise. the dealer said the clicking is a part that releases the joy stick to allow you to shift gear, for example: if you have the car in park and you try to put the car in drive you cant because the gear is locked. now once you step on the brake pedal you release the gear and thats when you hear the clicking noise. the dealer say its normal,
  • tarnmastertarnmaster Member Posts: 12
    Most Nissan models do not need a tune up until 105,000 miles - that's most of the newer ones for the last few years , and is the same with most newer imports, and some domestics ... most cars today have direct ignition and platinum-tipped spark plugs and no longer have the rotor, points, and distributor cap that necessitated the tune up at 30K or 60K miles ... hard to tell with brakes as brake usage and wear, like clutch wear, varies with the driver - some people are just naturally harder on brakes ( I drive a mountain road with 91 turns in a 7-mile stretch - that's hard on brakes when you drive it the way I do ) ... usually brakes are inspected at oil changes and if less than 15-20% left on the pads the customer is advised of that and a brake job is recommended; that's usually the pads and turning the rotors ... unless you have a "Z" and they recommend replacing the rotors - I know because I'm needing my fourth set at 90K miles, but, as mentioned, I am harder on brakes than most ... be well ...
  • harry29harry29 Member Posts: 5
    just had same problem with 2002 3.5se v6. Took it to dealer and they sanded area around gas cap. They also told me I had to replace cruise and brake switches. They had to order the switches. After they sanded area around gas cap the check engine light went out. I doubt the brake and cruise switchs were bad.
  • FTobFTob Member Posts: 1
    I also had the same problem. Had to make a fuss at the dealership because they had it 3 months ago and "could'nt recreate the squeak", but it continued and I was just under 12,000. They finally replaced the front calipers (said it was a Nissan technical concern) whatever.........it fixed the problem and the brakes feel right and NO squeaking anymore.
  • newnissannewnissan Member Posts: 6
    Agreed on the front calipers being replaced on my car, also. They said they couldn't hear the squeak either but I looked very serious and said I knew they could drive it til they heard it....they also looked and had developed a new kit with different material composition for the rear brakes so they replaced those too. It did fix the problem and the brakes do feel better, no squeak. I must commend Nissan for constantly coming up with new kits to fix problems, though I'd prefer not having to be the test guinea pig on the problem with the belt torsioning bolt snapping before the recall and the squeaky brakes before someone tells me to come in for new kits. this time they asked for my e-mail so Nissan can keep me posted. Hmm....2 more years to go on this lease....700 days.
  • quicksilvaquicksilva Member Posts: 15
    Hey,
    I have noticed that my Bose stereo sytem in my 2005 Altima tends to adjust the volume on it's own. Has anyone encountered this problem?
    I have a 2005 Altima which has recently started to pop or click in the front end. The happens while turning the wheel at a stand still. It only has 61 K on the car. Any idea what it might be?
    Quick Silva
    I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 and, have noticed that since it was new has a tendency to plum white smoke at the start up. This has happened onlt four times to my knowledge and, stops once started. I have been told that Nissan didn't do a good job with the rings in this engine and, the dealer when it was under warrenty could find no problem as it is intermittant.. Any solutions?
    I have an Altima with a sunroof. This cars roof has been making an annoying rattle since 30K. I note that it is coming from a plastic piece that is across the front when opened. Is this plastic part needed?
    I have had an issue with cup holder cover. I imagine that they had to remove the arm rest in my 05 altima to replace the door spring. My issue is that they left a screw under the arm rest that when it moves drives me crazy. Anyone know how to remove the arm rest to get to it?
  • whitmadawhitmada Member Posts: 1
    Car is overheating and will not produce hot air when car's heat is on. Problem has happened on two other occasions over the past year for which repairs were made. First time we took to dealership....they refilled the coolant and replaced rear brakes....they wanted to replace a purge control canister but we opted not too. Second time car died on highway....dealership replaced thermostat, radiator cap, and bleed system. Now it seems we are back to the same problems. What should I do? Replace the purge control canister....would like to try to do myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 with a VQde35 engine. It blew a puff of white smoke once when new and, I paid it no mind but, since then it has done this about six times. Once recently after changing oil. The dealer could find no problem. I note smoke also when getting into it during acelleration but, only at first. The car has had regular oil changes. What could this be?
    I want to put copper header gaskets on my VQ35DE Altima 3.5 when putting on my headers but, can't seem to find any. HELP??
    I have an aggravating roof rattle coming from the plastic cross member above the sunroof. Is it possible to cut this plastic off w/o causing any problems? It seems to be useless.
  • efitzgeraldefitzgerald Member Posts: 62
    Can anyone tell me if its easy or not to attempt changing my cabin filter on my 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 lt ? I understand it thru the glove compartment. :confuse:
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    most of the time white smoke is caused by antifreeze getting burned in the cylinders.
    I cannot imagine that the brakes have anything to do with this problem. My guess is that you have a bad radiator. Did you have enough anti-freeze and was it exposed to extremely cold weather? It may pay to check to see if the hoses are connected tightly. Maybe they are leaking?
    It is located behind the glove box and, it is really easy. Remove the door look for the compartment housing with a few screws. It should not need to be changed until 30,000.00 miles unless you live in a dusty envoirnment.
  • Brentl23Brentl23 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if this paints a perfect picture, but my new 2009 Altima 2.5 SL feels like it is letting loose at slow speeds when coming to a stop. At less than 15 mph when braking to a stop, the transmission lets out of gear and I need to brake a bit more than prior to the slippage. Not a big problem, but this is more pronounced on this car than any other I have ever driven. Does anyone else experience this?
  • altimadude00altimadude00 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your response.

The dealer also said that it was normal. It is the resetting of the brake-interlock. I hardly think that an audible resetting of the interlock is normal operation. However, the click hasn't gotten louder nor hasn't interfered with the operation of the transmission. Looks like I'll have to suffer through having that click. :(