Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dcupdcup Member Posts: 4
    Ive got a 2002 Nissan ALtima. Ive been having problems with the cruise control when Im driving on the interstate. When you get up to about 70 mph, the cruise kicks off and the car starts jerking a little bit. I thought it might be a clogged injector but I ran "Sea Foam" through it a couple of times and it only helps for a couple of days ( i drive on the interstate daily). When it jerks, the abs, and tcs lights come on and stay on. Any ideas before i go get raped by a mechanic?
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,270
    Is it absolutely only when cruise control is on? If so, then it's got to be an electronic problem
    No, it actually does it on the highway at high speeds, regardless of cruise control. Eventually it stops doing it, but not until the lights on the instrument panel all come on and stay on. It never does it unless we reach speeds around 70 mph, never does it while doing in-town driving.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    if your worried about getting raped by a mechanic, just go to an advance auto parts store. they'll do a free code scan for you.

to me, sounds like it might be a crank position sensor. In fact, I believe there was a recall issued for them some time back.
  • altimaguy3altimaguy3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i'm having exactly same problem in 06 Altima 2.5S... slight hop at 20-30mph... even though the wheels are balanced and aligned.... did you find a solution?
  • massmom23massmom23 Member Posts: 1
    Hubby's 97 Altima dropped it's exhaust yesterday after a few days of soundling more like a Cesna than a car. It's the round piece way up under the car and attached to a pipe. Considering the noise, I'm assuming it's the exhaust? We're on a ridiculously tight budget and cannot afford either a new car or an expensive fix. What can I do? Should I go to a repair shop what questions do I ask? What am I looking at? I'm not even sure I should be driving it with the thing hanging on the ground. Any help would be most appreciated!
  • skinsfan3skinsfan3 Member Posts: 78
    Sounds to me as if it may be a tailpipe hanger. That should be a quick and easy fix. If they can't do it, welding it on my do. That would depend on how close it is to the gast tank.Any decent mechanic could do it. I would not have a dealer do it, since that could be costly. good luck. Don't let them sell you a new exhaust system! They may try to tell you you need a new muffler. I am not familiar with the 97 setup, but on some cars you hae to but the muffler with tail pipe.Even if the noise is coming from the tail pipe, they can do a muffler weld. That is tricky and some shops will refuse to do it, claiming safety problems.
    a '97 and you may need a new exhaust. 12 years is a long time for exhaust pipes and mufflers. but in additon to the dealership, aviod Midas and Minekie. they rip you off so bad even the dealerships will blush.

just go to a respectable garage. even if you need new exaust, it can probably be done for a couple hundred.
    No, I have not, I will be finding out this weekend. Do your RPM's jump when it happens? Mine happens at high speeds until all the dash lights come on, then it stops.
    If there is a recall, do I qualify for the recall, even though I bought the car used? Im going to Advanced this weekend to get the code scan and find out if they know anything.
  • I have a 94 Altima, and the last year or so I have been having debris from outside come thru the vents and into the car. Some is large like whole twirly birds. The cowel screens look good and I dropped the blower motor and cleaned squirrel cage. Not much there. I think something has deteriorated and fallen out or something was removed and not replaced during some AC work done under the dash. I know nothing about this stuff, but it seems there is now a direct route from outside to the back of all the air vents inside the car, and when the fan runs this stuff is blown through all three. Air filter is in place and clean.

Need to solve this, since otherwise the car is running great.

Ken
  • tomb13tomb13 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 97 altima, manual tranny. It knocks when i coast into stops, but only when in gear, not when clutch is pushed it. anyone know or experience this problem?
  • rosealeerosealee Member Posts: 1
    What year is your Altima? I have been experiencing problems after driving my Nissan Altima.
  • jft26jft26 Member Posts: 35
    I have 41K on my 2006 Altima 2.5L. Does anyone know the maintenance interval for the PCV Valve? How much does the dealer service cost to replace it? How easy is it to replace yourself? Thank you.
    When it comes to car repair, I operate under the concept "if it ain't broken, don't fix it,"
  • chalirebrownchalirebrown Member Posts: 38
    I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to but i had a 1999 Altima and after about two years, whenever it would rain hard or when i would wash the car, the floor behind the passenger;s seat would get soaking wet. Took it to the delaer and they replaced the rubber gasket that site on the ledge of the door at the top where the window goes up and down. No more leaks. Hope this helps.
    In the past, I found that leaks in the trunk came from misalignment of the rear trund lid in the event the car may have been rear ended. At other times, I had new gaskets installed by firms that did windshield repairs. That was fairly inexpensive.
  • epecepec Member Posts: 16
    Hi, A/C of my 2000 nissan altima does not work this year. I have the garage to check it and was told a leak form high and low side schrader valves. also they wanted to recharge with super-seal pro, the toal cost me 350$. My understanding the schrader valves are the port where I rechage 134a and seems the part is very cheap. also the whole can of super-seal pro on amazon is only 25$. Any suggestion here whether I can do it myself. any one know a good part store I can but the schrade valves (with cap I belive). Thanks
    if you don't know anything about refrigeration, or air conditioning; and you don't have the correct tools or gauges; then I wouldn't mess with it.
  • normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    My wifes '02 4 cylinder has a small problem. Some times when she starts it, there is a short period of vibration that is coming form an ignition misfire. It la :confuse: ts only a few seconds and is over. The car runs fine at all other times.

Any suggestions???
  • forthillforthill Member Posts: 34
    Some clown drove too close to my Altima and knocked out the drivers side view mirror. He didn't knock off the entire non-movable housing but the mirror broke and a little of the outer edge of the mirror housing. I called Nissan and said I wanted to purchase the mirror all they gave me was just the mirror panel but when I tried installing it it looks like there is yet another piece that sits between the mirror panel and the mechanical part still on the door.

Does anyone have a maintenance/repair/shop manual for the 2008 Altima that can tell me what the parts is that I need to order (other than the panel which I just bought which is part 96302-JB15E)

Thanks,
    Walt
  • jtap0916jtap0916 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Altima and this happened to me too. When I turn on the headlights, the clock, radio, speedometer & tachometer lights turn off. The radio and clock works fine. When I turn off the headlights the radio lights turn back on. Is this a fuse or a switch problem? Thanks for your time.
  • jtap0916jtap0916 Member Posts: 3
    How do you fix the windshield washer tank or reservoir? Do i have to replace it? I read in Popular Mechanic's that you can use Permatex Plastic Tank Repair Kit from an auto parts store to fix the cracked tank. Is this true?
    it may be true, but the easiest thing would proabably be to go to a junk yard and get one. probably $10 or so if you take it out yourself.
  • danny44danny44 Member Posts: 14
    It's the bad design from Nissan that caused lot of problem on intake manifold leaks

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Altima/2001/engine/shakes_when_idling.shtml
    It's the bad intake manifold gasket
  • jeep20jeep20 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, what was the end result with your altima?
  • kileekilee Member Posts: 1
    Great car until... it just quit on me. i was parking and pulled forward hit the brake put it in reverse then it died. battery is great(brand new) i cant even get the interior lights to come on no power to any thing. at first i thought ignition switch then neutral safety but now im not so sure there is no power to anything.... any suggestions? i would greatly appreciate some.
  • cybercoolcybercool Member Posts: 117
    Hi all,
    My drivers side power seat control wont work. I can still move forward and backwards and slant. The control that lowers and raises the legs and buttocks is not working.

Is it a fuse thing? Is it a DO-IT-YOURSELF thing I can fix?

Thanks
    jim
    WoW. This is one problem I would not get into. You know, one of those seemingly 5 minute jobs that takes forever, except if someone tells you that a fuse needs replacement.
  • kevlar119kevlar119 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I am in need of the part number for the gear shift solenoid/relay. I can't get the gear shift out of Park without manually pressing in the small release button with a screwdriver everytime. I've checked the fuses and they are all ok. I've called the auto parts stores and they don't stock the part or can't test it either. My brake lights work and so does the interior light. I haven't been able to find the part or number anywhere online. If someone can assist, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know what price it would roughly be. I've heard that the entire gear shift may have to replaced?? Ouch!!! Thank you. It is a 2006 Altima.
  • tlear55tlear55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Nissan Altima Manual -- just had a new clutch put in and after the repair would not go into first or reverse THEN was told needed a new transmission, ok got the new transmission put in now it won't go into ANY gear !! My machanic and Nissan repair men can't understand, anyone that can help us figure this out PLEASE do
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    It is amazing that the mechanics are stumped by this. If anyone could diagose the problem, it would be them. The logical questions to ask are:

1. Did they put in a new pressure plate, new throw out bearing and resurface the flywheel?

2. Is the clutch release mechanisim adjusted properly? Is the clutch verified to be releasing properly?

If the clutch is not releasing properly, it can cause the gears to not engage.
  • 08HLBase08HLBase Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the post. It worked! I just reset the airbag warning light, which had been flashing for QUITE a while (a couple of years, maybe?). It first started flashing after I degreased the engine, where water might have gotten into places it's not supposed to go. I went to the dealer and for about $90 they turned off the flashing warning, but wanted $900 to replece the module/chip (I can't remember what exactly they said), which I don't believe it's defective anyway. I balked and did not spend the money. After running battery down because I left the key at 'ON' position, the warning light came back on and stayed flashing until I read this post.

Thanks again! By the way, it worked after second try.
  • 08HLBase08HLBase Member Posts: 8
    I replaced the distributor on 96 Altima GXE because the engine oil found its way into the distributor, messing up the timing causing misfiring. If your engine is similar in design, you might want to take apart the distributor cap, remove the rotor, and check if there is any oil in the distributor. A new O-ring probably will seal it up and fix the problem. Good luck!
  • bmrichbmrich Member Posts: 10
    I am looking at 2006 Nissan Altimas. What are some opinions on the reliability of the car? Are their any maintenance quarks or known problems I should look out for?

I was looking at 2007s but did not like what I read about recalls and the CVT.
  • quicksilvaquicksilva Member Posts: 15
    I have owned the 2002 2.5 and now the 2005 3.5. The only issues I have had is the sunroof creaking when turning into driveways,a new radiator was leaking when it was new,the cup holder door broke,the leather steering wheel wore out quickly(cover it),The engine was smoking on intervals during start up when newer but has since stopped? I had a major leak with water coming in from just beneath the windshield. It apparently was a separation from the body & firewall,(easy fix). The Bose system has a visual quirk as the sun prevents the screen fron being seen at noon until one pm.EST and finally the front seats are not really that comfortable as the headrest is too far forward unlike the same year Pathfinder I would suggest that you hit Yahoo answers for the best & least expensive extended warranty avaliable. I hope this helps as I really like this cars performance but, I did drive the Pathfinder 4x4 for two weeks and found the seats most comfortable,the ride equally as impressive,handeling was just like the Altima and the fuel economy equavelant too.
  • mrhhubmrhhub Member Posts: 1
    hi did you ever find out about the clicking noise i had just replase the ac compressor the same day i first heard this clicking noise thanks
  • dtownmildtownmil Member Posts: 23
    The steering wheel mounted button that sets and coasts (lower right hand) broke off. It looks like it just snaps into place, but the button itself has broken "clips". Does anyone know where I can order this button...or find the part number?

Thanks in advance.
  • lovelynclovelync Member Posts: 1
    I leased a 2006 altima. I have had to replace the tires after 2 years. My lease is up in 4 weeks and I came out of work one day and I could not start the car. I thought it was the battery. It was tested and the battery is fine. Every time I turn the car off I have to get it jumped to start. After researching this appears to be a very common problem from 2005 to 2007. Apparently there is a recall and the ECM needs to be replaced. The car is running horribly and I cannot wait to turn it it. I would not get another nissan altima
    Mine kept from starting after a few days of standing still at a friends house. I ended up replacing the battery from AAA and getting a new generator. the problem was cured.
    Engine mount rubber is shot, I see a few comments about vibration, that's what it is, can get new ones on ebay
  • kep5599kep5599 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 3.5 SL has developed the timing chain problem at 69000. Having same problems with Nissan customer service. They are unwilling to stand behind their product when it is known that their design caused the problem. NTB07-042a (service bulletin)

Maybe WE NEED A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NISSAN.

This problem is a design problem and Nissan should pay for all repairs. In most cases nothing the owner did contributed to this manufacturer defect.
    It is my understanding that there is no timing chain or belt in the altimas.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,270
    All engines have either a timing chain or belt. The 2.5 has an chain, with no recommended service interval.
  • dtownmildtownmil Member Posts: 23
    This car usually runs great, no problems, no CE light. This morning the car would turn over but would not fire. What should be checked first?

I plan to check the plug wires. Any suggestions?
  • g35floodedg35flooded Member Posts: 44
    Hey Guys,

I just recently gave back my Infiniti G35 due to getting older and getting engaged so saving money right now is a smart thing to do so I picked up an 06 altima special addition from someone on craigslist.

The car runs great and only has 33k miles on it and I just got a new battery and tires which I already new before I got the car.

Anyway, the owner advised me about the driver side window not closing automatically due to a security glitch all nissans and infiniti has. I had the same problem with my Infiniti but the fix was different than it is with the altima.

Basically when i close my window with the "one touch up " push of the button the window goes all the way to the top and then back down about 4 inches as a security measure as if there is something in the window. I believe there is a switch to turn that off under the door panel but I want to make sure before I do this myself. The car is no longet under the warranty and the dealership will prob charge me 50bucks or so so I fiugre I can just do it myself. If anyone here knows the fix please let me know . Thanks!
  • avalaavala Member Posts: 1
    Engine Mechanical problem
    1997 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

Hi, Thanks for the service.

I all started on one fine day when my car started shaking and smoke started coming out of the engine. I took it to a mechanic and he said my Distributor is gone. I got it replaced.

Then after couple of days the engine got cut off while I was trying to stop my car for a red light. But started again. I googled it and read somewhere that it might be a knock sensor problem and we can easily start it back easily after the engine shuts off. Then one day it stopped again and this time it did not start again. I could also smell some gas inside my car. I have to get it towed. Then after a couple of days it started. It stopped again and again I have to get it towed and again it started after a couple of days.

Yesterday I took it to a mechanic and he said he could not check anything if the car was running and could only help me if it stops and doesn't start again. So I took it to a Nissan Service center. He looked it up and told me that the Battery Positive Terminal was not properly cleaned and that's what is causing the engine to shutoff.

But this morning it stopped again at the signal.

I am fed with spending all my earnings to the towing company. Even Nissan Service Center could not help me.

Please tell me a possible reason for this so that I could get it fixed one last time.

Vamsi
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    I have a 2008 altima coupe. while washing the car and sponging the right fog light, it pushed in and is now loose. Anyone have this problem and what was the fix. Thanks. rr70
  • quicksilvaquicksilva Member Posts: 15
    This is an issue for your warrenty to cover and continue to watch for the infamouse water in the tail lights too. remember (Bumper to Bumper means just that).