Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• flygoflygo Member Posts: 2
    tmnjalt-what are you gonna do then?
    I bought it on 09/23, did not notice the problem as well, guess it was not a problem back then.
    I'll share with you if I have any new info regarding that.
  • tmnjalttmnjalt Member Posts: 19
    flygo- have you brought yours in for service ?
    I'm making an appt for early next week.
    This is a great engine, but these problems are
    not acceptable in a new car.
  • piecekeeperpiecekeeper Member Posts: 18
    Since post 180 or October 11th, my 03 2.5 Altima still makes the same sound when the engine is turned off. So many of you told me not to worry about it, I'm not, I'm just interested in what makes the sound. The driver doesn't hear it, its the person inside the garage or beside the car when you park. Still sounds like something winding down to me. Maybe the air intake spins, anyone know anything about that? Some tech must know something about the noise. Thanks
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    This is why I NEVER buy the first model year from ANY auto manufacturer. I'm even leary of purchasing the 2nd year of a new model. Did it once, won't do it again.
    I'll let all the people who can't wait & have to be the first to be seen driving around in a new model experience all the problems. Even a reliable brand such as Nissan has their problems. It's not too bad buying a new model if the engine is proven, but the Altima's engine is also a brand new design. I'll be waiting till the 2004 model year to buy my Altima (after most bugs have been worked out).
    I forgot to tell you I sent a email to Nissan. They answered me after three weeks. They told me they could not answer technical questions, suggested I return the car to the dealer who could probably answer my question. The dealer has no idea what's making the noise.
  • mrsvalentinemrsvalentine Member Posts: 4
    I just recently purchased a 2001 altima GXE with only 28.5k miles. Beatiful car, however, I seem to be having problems. When I am on about 39 or 40 mph, it seems to surge. Like it is choking. Just slightly. Not hard, but enough to become annoying. The nissan service manager says that this is normal becuase it is going into over drive and all altima gxe does this around the same speed. Is this true?
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    My understanding is the engine in the 2002/2003 Altima is the exact same engine they've been using in the Maxima for years.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The V6 in the Altima is pretty much the same as the one used in the Maxima for years, but the 4-cylinder is brand new. I think that is what abpelch1 was referring to.
  • mrsvalentinemrsvalentine Member Posts: 4
    I agree about checking your car after it goes in the shop. I have had it 2 times in the shop and every time it comes back to me, it seems that the hub caps are messed up. Now I have to buy 4 new ones because the ones I had which were fine until I brought it in for repair are cracked.
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    Yes, I was referring to the 4cyl engine as being a new design. I would consider buying a 6cyl this year, as that engine is proven and has been given many accolades by the press. However, I cannot find a 6cyl Altima equipped as I want. Seems all SE models are loaded & more $$$ than I can afford.
  • jerrynjjerrynj Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I hit a curb saturday morning due to slippery road condition. Wheel rim is bent. It was about 20mph when I hit the curb. I drove it back home with the spare tire.

My neighbour is a mechanic. I had him take a look at the car. He told me the lower control arm was bent and needed replacement. He got me a used one for $125 and charged me $100 for labor. I didn't think too much yesterday. But when I think of it now, the lower control arm is pretty sturdy in construction. I am wondering if it really was damaged in the accident. Wheel hitting a curb at 20mph doesn't seem to be that big of an impact? Or is it? I should've checked the lower control arm when he took it off from the car yesterday. But I didn't. I totally trusted him at that point.

Just want to make sure I wasn't taken and I can still trust him... I am pretty sure his labor charge is on the high side. R&S strauss quoted the same, $100, for changing the lower control arm. You think you should get a better deal with a backyard garage... Anyway, can anyone please let me know how likely the lower control arm was damaged in the accident. Thanks a lot.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    with a curb. Not tough at all to do.

By the way, just because the guy doesn't have a shop (at least at home), do you think you should pay him less? You're paying the guy for his experience.

My 15 year old could do it for you for $20, but I've seen him strip bolts and round off the heads of screws - you get what you pay for.

Just wondering, what's your insurance deductible? If you had the part replaced with a dealer item and had a regular shop do the work, you probably would've paid your $250-500 deductible.

Sorry for the rant, but I used to help friends out by doing cheap work at home. Not any more - I was taken advantage of too many times, second-guessed, etc. It's not work it.
    I think you are right. I am paying for his experience. I have only liability coverage. Changed coverage from comprehensive to liability 3 month ago. Saved about $400 a year.
    In that case, using a backyard guy, a private shop or a dealer/body shop.

By the way, Strauss scares the hell out of me - I live in Philly and investigate dealer and shop fraud in NJ, PA, NY and DE - seen 'em do ugly stuff!
    I/m the same person who posted the Strange Engine Noise. I found the noise to be located inside the alternator on my 03 2.5S. The noise comes from the internal alternator fan. This fan is located on the passengers side by the pulley. As someone turns off your engine, you can see the alternator fan spinning down. It takes about five seconds to wind down. That's the noise I hear. Anyone know anything about alternators?
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    I have a G1 Altima. The car is problem free for 140K. But after it was towed for parking over time, and the damn tower took it by the rear wheels, it developed this weird problem. Sometimes after the ignition is turned off, I cannot get the key out. My solution has been: turn the engine back on, fool around with the AUT transmission, turn engine off, try to get key out. Sometimes I have to do that 5, 6 times before I can get the key out. Anybody has that problem?
  • bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    I was the writer of post # 32 regarding vibration in the 2.5 Altimas. Since I traded my car back in March with 5,400 miles on it, I've had the opportunity to drive two other 2.5 automatics. One belonged to a friend of mine who wasn't aware I wasn't happy with mine and the other was a rental through Budget Rent A Car of Las Vegas. Folks, they all vibrate the same, one just as much as the other. It has to be the design of the car. In this day and age and with the capabilities of Nissan, it's really unacceptable. My car was checked by two different dealerships, both said it was operating within spec and the first dealership that checked it added "but if that vibration bothers you, we can bump the idle speed up a bit but that may give you a whole other set of problems." The service tech at the second dealership said "man, these things are as smooth as glass". I then had him get in and start it up and put it in drive (a/c off) and he sat there with a clueless look on his face until I said, "don't you feel that.....all through the steering wheel, the brake pedal, the seat..." then turned the a/c on and it worsened. "Oh that, well, they all do that, it's the four cylinder design, now the V6 won't do that." I switched it off and said, so much for it being "smooth as glass". At that moment, I knew I didn't want the car so I traded that afternoon for an Impala LS that I'm very happy with. Each time I see a 2.5, I think about my car. I'm sorry these cars are like this, again beautiful cars to look at, but highly overrated. If you must have an Altima, get the V6 or better yet, go for a Maxima if you can.

Bill
  • mso1956mso1956 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 2.5S Altima Automatic in January and now have 15,000 miles on it. I have been happy with the vehicle but have had a couple of things happen which make me concerned. The first happened four months ago when I started the car in my garage. The car started and then cut off as though the engine disable mechanism went off. I had trouble re starting the car. That Thursday the problem happened to my wife. I brought the car into the dealer and they replaced the coils.
    Just two days ago my wife went to start the car in the garage again and it would not start. When I got home from work later that day I could not start the car. It appeared to act as if it was flooded. I had the car towed to the dealer who stated when they went out in the morning it started right up but appeared to have the symptoms of flooding. Has anyone had a similar problem.
  • amontemagniamontemagni Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, I am considering purchasing a 01' Altima GXE LE. I drove it last night and it pulls to the right a lot. The owner just had 4 new tires installed and the alignment was checked. He told me that Nissan's are known for their "pulling to the right". I do understand that some cars have torque steer that will pull them to the right, but it was doing it when I was just cruising along. Does this sound like something is wrong or is this true of Nissan's? Or did the alignment guy screw up?
    Thanks.
  • amontemagniamontemagni Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, I am considering purchasing a 01' Altima GXE LE. I drove it last night and it pulls to the right a lot. The owner just had 4 new tires installed and the alignment was checked. He told me that Nissan's are known for their "pulling to the right". I do understand that some cars have torque steer that will pull them to the right, but it was doing it when I was just cruising along. Does this sound like something is wrong or is this true of Nissan's? Or did the alignment guy screw up?
    Thanks.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Torque steer happens only under acceleration. If the car you drove was pulling to the right while cruising at a steady speed, there is something wrong with the car. The alignment might be off, or one of the tires might have less tread than the others. If an alignment doesn't fix the problem, try swapping the two front tires left-to-right. If the car then pulls the other way, you know it is the tires.
    Guess you have seen my post about strange noise from the alternator after the car is turned off. I have a 2003 Altima, 2.5S. The alternator runs for about five seconds after the engine is turned off. Just wanted you to know alternators have been a problem in Max's, now engine compartment fires are being investigated in 2002 Altimas. NHTSA Action # PE02078. The investigation began October 18th. Don't know if this is related to alternator or not.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Our '01 GXE Ltd. Ed. did the same thing after an alignment and 4 new tires. The mechanic got under the front end and adjusted something a few times until the wheel was straight and the pulling was gone. Must of worked because the tires are wearing evenly all around and the car goes straight with the wheel centered.
    I drove him crazy with this as with each small correction, I had to drive the car and then have him adjust what he did a little more. It eventually worked after the third correction.
    Good luck and let me know how it turns out. Nice car, by the way. The wife really loves her Alty!

The Sandman :-)
  • sauron666sauron666 Member Posts: 12
    Mine are coming off! I have had 2 sets on my car in 4200 miles. Both sets are/were junk. Nissan has graciously agreed to put the Turanzas on at no charge. Woohoo! If they are good enough tires for the new BMW 7, they are good enough for me.
  • stevebunstevebun Member Posts: 2
    Got A 03 3.5 SE altima 3 weeks ago. Love the car but the automatic A.C. has broken twice already. The first time was said to be a bad hose. My wife is taking it in tommorow morning to see whats wrong now. This is my first foreign car purchase. I am a little disapointed with this car because I read that all Japanese cars are so reliable. I hope that it gets fixed. Steve
    I have a 98 altima, which is in same the generation as the 91 your test drove. My car's steering wheel was straight since day one and hadn't needed any adjustment until an accident last weekend. Pulling to the right a lot definitely is not torque steering. The aligment probably was not done correctly.
  • glueslugglueslug Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry to hear that. Sounds like a bit of bad luck to tell the truth. I have owned Nissans for many years and so have my fiance and family as a whole.6 Nissans as a family total. Never have we had such an experience of the same mechanism failing not only twice but so close to the purchase date. When at the dealer, make a point that is the second time, and totally unacceptable. They should put their best guys on it and ensure that it doesnt happen again. I hope this experience doesnt taint your view of Nissan, I think you will be very happy over the many years as it runs flawlessly.
  • cyril1cyril1 Member Posts: 5
    Piecekeeper, Is this NHTSA Action # PE02078 for the 2.5 liter only or is also for the 3.5's?
  • crowellsrdcrowellsrd Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Altima driver's side front window rattles while it is partially down whenever the car hit a bump or rough pavement That's a same problem with Post #23 (blu1). Does BLU1 or anyone knows how to solve the problem? Thanks for the feedback.
  • flea4flea4 Member Posts: 6
    Has anybody that has the 2002 3.5 Altima with the 17 low profile tires had any problems with front tire wear?I'm going on 11,000 miles and I'll be putting my 3rd set of front tires on.At $165.99 a tire,this isn't to affordable.Please respond.Of all the people I've talked to,I have yet to hear 2 people with the same theory as to why the tires are wearing so fast.The one that seems to make the most sense is to rotate and align the car more often.
    or overall wear?

If it's overall wear, rotate more frequently or keep your foot out of it. I like putting my foot into, so I have to pay the price.

If it's an alignment issue, I would definitely take it to the dealer - you're still under the 12 month/12,000 mile "adjustment period" and they need to look at a possible alignment problem.
    In response to zueslewis,the tires are wearing evenly overall,just wearing fast.I don't know if it's an alignment issue or not,I've had it lined up once by the dealer and twice by Firestone.I'm getting two new tires on Friday and I'm going to try lining it up and rotating the tires about every 2,000-3,000 miles.If this doesn't work,I'll probably just end up getting rid of the car.
    I don't mean to oversimplify this, but if you're getting even wear, and with a high performance tire, you aren't rotating more frequently (a must with lower treadwear ratings), the car isn't at fault.

Take your foot out of the firewall, rotate your tires at every oil change and enjoy your car.

Also, OEM tires suck.

Check the Tire Rack for tires that fit your car, but have a much higher treadwear rating. Let me know what size you have and I'll be glad to make a suggestion (several years in the high performance tire business, plus racing experience - I know what lasts and what doesn't).
    The tires that came with the vehicle are Firestone Turanzas / P215/55R17.The treadwear rating is 300.According to all the tire dealers I've talked to,the only other choice in the same size is a Goodyear tire.What do you suggest?
    that's why there's no warranty whatsoever, unless they decompose or something.

I recommend the Bridgestone EL-42 in the same size. The Tire Rack carries the V rated version for $115, the H rated one is $101 - treadwear ratings are the same and the V rated version will handle better.

Thet also carry a Pirelli P6000 in a 235/50-17 for $184, but it only has a 180 treadwear, less than what you have now and less than the Bridgestones.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Just to let you know...your tires are Bridgestones, not Firestones. Firestone does not sell a model called Turanza. What speeds are you running at? Do you take corners fast? What tire pressure are you running on? Tires should not wear out so quickly, so something is definitely wrong. However, with that size performance tire, you shouldn't expect anymore than about 30k out of them.
    That's a club you have to pay a membership fee in order to play.
  • toyodatoyoda Member Posts: 3
    My 93 Altima GLE auto, 4cyl stalls at slowing down near stop signs or stop lights after driving for over 15 miles approx. for the past 10 months. No prblem starting after each time.
    The stalling is not on a daily basis but every 2 or 3 weeks, regardless of the weather rain or shine. I have replaced the sparks plugs, plug wires, poured fuel injector cleaner and HEET into the gas tank hoping this would clear the moisture and clogged injectors but to no avail. Car has 125,00 miles.
    Anyone have the similar problem with Altimas? Any feedbacks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    that's the culprit in quite a few stalling situations. Your fuel filter should be changed every 15-20,000 miles.
  • fastaltfastalt Member Posts: 24
    I posted this problem late October and brought the car to my dealer yesterday. They confirmed warped rotors and resurfaced the front rotors rather than replace them. They said that is standard procedure. I called Nissan and they agreed. I am not happy and think they should have replaced them since I only had 3500 miles on the car..Just wanted to let ZUESLEWIS know
    on replacing the rotors the next time you come in, which will probably be 3-5,000 miles. Sounds bad, but that's the way it is with OEM rotors, unfortunately.
    Right. The next time it will be at my expense I am sure. Is there any way around this? I mean if I have to replace the rotors are there any manufacturers that are beter than others?
    or if you ask nicely and it's not over 15-18K, depending on the service manager.

The way around it is to use good aftermarket rotors like Bendix or Raybestos, but I'd wait until after 12,000 miles - if the warpage comes back before 12K, they may replace the rotors and the brake pads - that's very common considering pads develop of wear pattern.
  • detroit2detroit2 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 02 2.5s alty auto. Within a month I noticed oil consumption, 1/4 qt in 3K miles. I complained to the dealer. We monitored it for 2K miles. I tolerated the breaking the engine in theory for up to 5K. The dealer changed the oil for free. I am to take it back to them when the next oil change is due. If there is oil consumption then they will get me a new engine. We will see I have been documenting everything and getting receipts. If necessary I will request that they give me my trade money back and I will go elsewhere. Otherwise I really enjoy the vehicle it has an up scale look with out the price. I have over 6500 miles and I purchased it in July. I had a 98 Jetta before this this is a charm in comparison.
  • tmnjalttmnjalt Member Posts: 19
    What makes you think 1/4 quart in 3000 miles is excessive?
  • jamietbjamietb Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem with oil consumption with my 2002 2.5S. -- 2 qts in 3,000. The dealer had to replace the short block to fix it. They claimed it was an early production model design flaw in the 4 cylinder engine, that the rings were not seating properly, and that the problem has been fixed. I now have about 800 miles with the new engine block and, although it used about a quart early on it seems to be fine now. Needless to say, I am watching it very closely and I am not happy. It rattles your confidence in the product. I also had a few other minor problems that they had to fix (e.g. rattling window).
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Hello all, I am new to Nissian's. My sister plan to get a 1993 auto Altima GXE. I went to test drive the car yesterday. I found a problem but the owner said it is normal to all Altima. Of course I didn't believe it. I could started the car from cold in a second. Then I tried to adjust the mirror. Both of them not working by the switch. ALSO, i tried to turn on the wipers. It was not working either. The clock was not on too. The owner is seat next to me. She me that I have to turn the key back to "ON" position then start it again. Well, after restart they both worked. Is that normal to all 93 Altima? Thanks for the enter.

Luk
  • beaghibeaghi Member Posts: 34
    Possible solution for your stalling problem: Check posting #168, if the description corresponds to the behavior of your car, just apply the fix and the problem will disappear. It worked for me.
  • catalinablue1catalinablue1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 Altima 2.5S. Everything has been fine for the first 3400 miles except for some recent "bugs": 2 condensation spots (apx. 4-5 inches in diameter)on the windshield when it rains, and a rattling noise under the hood when the transmission is in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gears.

I will take it to the dealership this week to see what they say, but I was wondering what some of you think might be causing these things. Also, have any other '03 owners ('02, too) had similar problems?
    I have a Altima 3.5SE and have seen the same condensation on the Windshield when it rains. I do not know what causes it, but would be interested to hear what your dealer says.