Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tcheatletcheatle Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Expedition started doing the "starter grind" at 400 miles. It now has 1200 and is still doing it. It will go back to the dealer around 3000miles. If it breaks, it is under warranty so I really do not care....
  • jcarrolljcarroll Member Posts: 1
    Could really use some help from the group with this one. 5.4L engine
    with P&I heads, 110K miles but well maintained every 3000 with
    synthetic oil. Loud rattle from the front of the engine. Two Ford
    dealerships are suggesting front timing chain(s?), however both suggest
    engine swap. It seems both shops have limited experience doing the
    chain repair. Said this problem is pretty rare.

Has anyone else seen this problem with this engine? Any suggestions?
    The repair is $1700 and the swap is $5700. No guarantee on the repair.
    Its my daughter's truck and in this shape I'm afraid she owes more
    than it might be worth.

Thanks in advance. - JimC
  • michellehmichelleh Member Posts: 1
    My starter was grinding on my 1998 Exped. and I had it replaced 2 mos. ago. A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to her 1998 Exped. I just had my Exped. into the dealer for its 65K servicing and they called to ask if I've had any problems with the starter b/c they saw a spot in it. My husband got on the phone and said, "We just had a new one installed 60 days ago. If there's something wrong with it, replace it free of charge." Then the service man said, "Oh no, we only saw it once, and now we don't see it." I think there must be a manufacturing defect in the starters. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems?
  • rodneywolferodneywolfe Member Posts: 3
    did you ever get this clicking resolved? had a clicking coming from front end of my 99 Expedition for a couple years. had dealers and other mechanics troubleshoot to no avail. Then found my problem by accident. turned out to be the retainer cup over the nut on the front wheel( it is held on by the cotter pin under the dust cover). when the front rotor/wheel assembly was installed the metal retainer cup had been spread out to allow ease in installation. then the cotter pin was installed. even though it all appeared to be tight, it had just enough slop to make a clicking sound when turning even a little bit. i only found it when doing a brake job. i noticed it move a little so I jacked up the entire truck and put it on stands. then had my wife start it and put it in gear. sure enough the clicking was coming from there. after removing the cup and sucking in the edges I reinstalled and repeated the test. haven't had a problem with the irritating clicking since. amazing how the stupidest little things can drive you and seasoned professionals nuts.
  • brad13brad13 Member Posts: 1
    I've got 7500 miles on my 2005 Expedition. Two things I've noticed, and one is that it idles to low (so it seems). With trany in drive, foot on the brake, without the AC on, it idles at about 550 RPMs according to the TAC, and causes a very noticeable rough idle. If its in Park, or if the AC is on, then it idles smooth because in Park there's no load on the engine, and when the AC is on, the computer increases the idle to compensate for the compressor running. I've had it to the shop twice, but Ford says a 550RPM idle (even though rough) is normal?

Second issue is the starter grind I've seen on this forum. Mine does the starter grind when its cold, for about a second after the engine is running. I haven't confronted the dealer with this one yet, but I see its on this forum.

Any body else have the rough idle thing going on?
  • fordsucks2fordsucks2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem but haven't had any luck getting it repaired. I've had it at two different dealers and they haven't figured it out yet. My passenger side floor board has been soaked with water and this is not normal no matter what he told you. Standing water or water residue is not normal because water in places it shouldn't be, causes damage. If i have any luck with my repair on the situation I will let you know and you do the same.
  • fordsucks2fordsucks2 Member Posts: 2
    Does any one know how to contact a Atlanta, GA for regional service rep direct. The dealer is no help. I wonder how for sells any fords. Never again will they trap me with another trap.
  • redstriperedstripe Member Posts: 1
    I recently noticed that when the AC cycles on when set on 1 or 2 there is a squeeking noise coming from the compressor. This also occurs when max AC is on. Is this an issue or is it normal? Doesn't occur when set on 3 or 4.
  • jriscignjriscign Member Posts: 1
    2000 Expedition EB. My rear lift gate will not open. I have tried everything I know including the key and I can't open the window or the lift gate. I can't find a way to access the mechanism to manually open it. Any ideas??

jriscign
  • sgtrockbsgtrockb Member Posts: 8
    Yes, there is a TSB fix for this. The problem is that at highway speeds, the condenser freezes up. I'm sure you probably noticed that the cooling diminished quite a bit after you drove it on the highway for a while.
  • sgtrockbsgtrockb Member Posts: 8
    I may have encountered what you're describing. Mine was a "grunt" which happened right at starting or right after. I took it in and the dealer showed me the TSB. It's an air conditioning compressor "grunt" which occurs when refridgerant pools after you shut it down. They said that it is "harmless" and there is no fix for it. They recommended shutting off the AC before I shut off the car.
  • fungushunterfungushunter Member Posts: 1
    i have 1999 expy with similar noise just wondering if the noise sounds like a a clicking rattle sound my noise does not speed up with the engine does this sound like what you have i have had one tech tell me that it was the timimng chain but another said he has never replace a timing chain on a triton engine ????
  • shandellshandell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Ex and has been doing it alot. I have reported this as a safety issue with the NTSB 5 times and still no response. I have hit a garbage can because the darn thing lurched forward on me. The dealers are also no help. Sounds like we really have an issue. Any help out there people?
  • shandellshandell Member Posts: 2
    I meant to say the NHTSA not the NTSB. There are several other complaints on that site with the same issue. A total of 53 at last count. If all of us with the same issue complain enough maybe they will open an investigation.
  • gregjohnsongregjohnson Member Posts: 117
    well maintained every 3000 with synthetic oil

Uhhh, I think you're low by a few thousand for conventionals (5-7k) and half an order of magnitude for synthetics... (15k).

See http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/interval.html

Under "Past Results" you'll see Mobile1 and Amsoil going 14-18,000 miles.

Two Ford dealerships are suggesting front timing chain(s?), however both suggest
    engine swap.

This may be because your oil habits indicate you might just buy an engine instead of changing the spark plugs. (Nothing personal)

It seems both shops have limited experience doing the chain repair.

I think I'm thinking of the wrong part here - A timing chain is a $20 part that synchronizes the crankshaft and the valves. Replacing it is/was part of standard 100k service because if it fails you do generally need a new engine. Still, that need is not a kinda-maybe sort of thing - You know your engine is toast when you munch a valve. Any mechanic with limited experience here is a "run, don't walk" situation.

Something doesn't feel quite right here... Give me a call at 404.391.2153?

-Greg
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    The NHTSA does look at all the complaints. They contacted me about my stalling GMC Envoy, ONE YEAR after GM bought it back under the lemon law. I too complained on their website.

I drove around for 3 months with a camcorder to document the issue. I basically pointed the camcorder on the instrument cluster whenever conditions were ripe for a stall (cold engine, stopped at the first few stoplights on my commute). The NHTSA was really happy to get a copy of my tape. I made the tape after I contacted an attorney and started the buyback process, but in your case it might help prove your case to the dealer.

Good luck.
  • hotwheels301hotwheels301 Member Posts: 1
    Last night I got home around 8:30 and this morning I went to get the newspaper, I noticed the defroster was running full blast without the key in it. WEIRD!!! I had to detach the battery cable to get the defroster to turn off. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any help will be appreciated. BTW, I have a 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer.
  • scdscd Member Posts: 15
    I have less than 3000 miles on my 05 Expedition. Love it, except for the starter grind. Now I have noticed that the leather seats are starting to crack. The Expedition is always garaged. I had a 2001 Expedition for three years and never had any problems with the leather seats. The leather on my current 05 seems to be different. Just another item to bring up with the service people.
  • mmartin6mmartin6 Member Posts: 2
    new to the site you probably could have used this info a few weeks ago. exped and f150 are known for bad trigger wires(starter wire/connector). the dealer should have suggested trying to clean the connector (usually corrode) and resecure the wire. it works 80 % of the time. maybe this will help somebody else though.
  • ealmekinderealmekinder Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Expedition last Sunday with 93,000 miles on it seemingly in perfect shape. During test drive it drove perfectly and after buying it and driving it home it ran perfectly. I had to go out of town for the week so it sat in the driveway until I used it to pick up a pizza last night. Drove a total of 8 miles and it shook and shuddered the whole way. Could it be a fouled spark plag or loose plug wire? My wife is sick that we bought a lemon. Any thoughts?
  • marchtimemarchtime Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys, I have an 04 Expedition and at 5,000 miles the howling started. Long story/short version: in reducing weight Ford made the diff, etc out of aluminum, bolted it to the frame. Turns out the alum was not heavy duty enough and to eliminate it they rebuilt the rear end. I got a new rear end and it stopped the howl.
    The Expe drive like a different vehicle. Try it, it should be under warranty. Or if out of warr go to your favorite good mech. and have him replace the seals and bearings with heavy duty. What irritated me was Ford knew about the problem and still put the vechicles on the market without saying anything. Only when customers asked did Ford acknowledge the problem.
  • rmouldsrmoulds Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem, where is the amp physically located on the vehicle?

Thanks
  • crafter1crafter1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 Expy XLT , 4.6 engine and 70,000 miles. When I put the control to have air come out the dash vents, (Not the defroster vents) all works fine until I accelerate. Under even slight acceleration the air stops coming out the vents. It comes out the defroster vents. This occurs whether or not the A/C is on. I know there must be a vacuum somewhere but where? No codes have been produced.
  • just2kooljust2kool Member Posts: 1
    I had my truck for a year 1999 ford expedition I have the same problem trying to find the answer too. I will post it if I find it. Trying to fix it for two month Real Mad :mad:
  • yatesyyatesy Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 2WD Eddie Bauer and have had the rear end rebuilt 3 times now under warranty. Today, I backed out of the driveway and it started the grinding again. It's not realing "howling" but more of a grinding sound mainly when I turn a corner or back out of a parking space and go forward. Any suggestions? It's all under warranty but this is getting very old.
  • nikrnikr Member Posts: 1
    Every morning I have a steering wheel shimmy for a few minutes and then it goes away as the tires warm up. has anyone expereinced thi? if so please help with advise
  • normandinnormandin Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 1999 Expedition and have experienced a problem with the Odometer going out at start up. It will display after a few miles/ kilometers down the road. If anyone has experienced the same issue, I'd be glad to here from you.
    Thanks
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Does anyone know of a cheap, reputable place I can buy parts for my Expedition on the web? My local dealers are such a rip-off. Thanks.
  • compman6compman6 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem with my 99 XLT for almost three years now. I have been told by my helpful service manager that the whole instrument panel needs to be replaced to correct the intermittent odometer display at a cost of over $280.00. I found that by thumping the instrument panel (not too hard, though) just beyond the steering column turns it back on for a little while. Not very convenient and makes difficulty when getting inspected yearly, but so far has saved me $280.00 (was told that it was not covered by warranty when first taken in to dealer). :confuse:
  • dirk6dirk6 Member Posts: 1
    DTC P1299 says - Cylinder head overtemperature protection active. What causes this and how can I fix this. I have a 2001 Expedition.
  • normandinnormandin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the assistance, its greatly appreciated.
  • ttvjottvjo Member Posts: 4
    Yes, i have a 2003 Ford Exp. xlt---i have raned it low of fuel a few times, i'm having trouble accelerating and it jerking a little bit. i filled my tank up and then used gas treatment and it raned fined but when i got down to about a half a tank it started jerking and hesitating a little bit...my o/d light started flashing so i pulled over on the side of the road turned the vehicle off and restarted the vehicle but the o/d light went off....my transmission is fine...what is going on do i need to change the fuel filter or do you guys think my fuel pump is bad and also need changing i hope not i will not go below a half a tank again..please help me i'm just a little old lady... :cry: do anyone know where can i find cheaper parts from the dealership is to high :sick:
  • pamela831pamela831 Member Posts: 2
    Hi..I sure hope this helps you, or anyone else out there having strange noise problems. with your 4wd 2000 expy.starting at about 40 mph, and going away when you take your foot off gas.I took my car to one Ford dealer who kept it two days and unable to diagnose the problems.I took it to two more garages with no luck.Then I called another Ford dealer, and talked to him over the phone,I explained my problems, and he said is it possible you have un even tire tread.Well, funny he should say that because last year I only replaced two tires instead of four because the other two still looked good.I always thought the noise sounded like a tire problem.He said he found in all wheel drive 4WD if there is even 1/8 of a difference in tire tread then it will make that noise.Reason being is the car computer thinks the tires are stuck, so it is trying to engage into 4wd.That is usually why the noise goes away after 60-75 mph.The computer realizes the vehicle is not stuck.I went and replaced the old tires and WALAH no more noise.I hope this hepls.Its so frustrating to take your car to a professional who cant even diagnose the problem.
  • pamela831pamela831 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have uneven tire tread?Do you have AWD..if you do then this will cause the noise.I know cuz I just went through a huge ordeal, and nobody could figure out the problem.
  • lenrlenr Member Posts: 13
    Good news. The service manager new that the problem was a muffler that was coming apart inside with loose pieces vibrating. New muffler, no problem. Certainly would have been nice if they could have figured this out last February.
  • beranberan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Expedition with the 5.4. After warm up, there is a "howling noise" when RPM's are increased. The noise is there when the vehicle is parked or moving and can be heard from the interior of the vehicle but not when listening under the hood. I have tried every combination of events to isolate the source but have been unable to locate. The noise is not extremely loud but anoying. Any ideas???

Thanks.
  • mock1mock1 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO,I also have a 03 EB Ford Exp and had the same problem you did .I bought
    my suv used and you know when you have something new you want it to look good :shades: . So I washed the truck inside and out and i also wash the engine off thats when she got :sick: thats when it all started . water got down in the spark plugs and it ran just like your truck.It went back & forth 4 time to the dealer befor someone found the problem.Now my truck is runing grate :P
  • teter1teter1 Member Posts: 3
    My Expy has been doing it since it was at least a year old. Only does it every so often the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. The other day it caught me off gard I was in my drive way so nothing bad happen. I'm calling Ford today again about it maybe I'll get a hold of nitsa too. I now have 88,000mi on it.
    MY Ex is a 2001 bought brand new. In 2002 it started the same thing Ford dealer couldn't find a thing wrong. I thought I was nuts till it started happening to my hubby. Now years later here I am and my son will be driving next year. If there is no solotion I,m selling the thing. I called Ford today for the 2ed time. Cause I want it all documented in case theres an accident. If I were you I would call them every time it happens or take the thing back and get your money back.
    MY 2001 has 88,000mi on it it has the same problem I don,t go to Ford any more Montieth tire here said it was a broken link pin and the lower ball joints are loose so I will take it in to be fixed this week but I want to see under it to see if anything else looks like it might break. I seen on the net here that in 2000 Ford wanted people to take there trucks in to have the ball joints tighten gee at that time my was being bulit. They might have bee loose all along. I will not buy another Ford again.
  • soetsussoetsus Member Posts: 1
    my driver side window made a grinding noise when I put it down and now it wont go back up. Need help--can I fix this or does it need to go into the dealership? ">
  • gus5gus5 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with 03. The service manager told me that it is normal with vehicle specs. Yesterday I had enough Service Manager asked me to leave or he would call the State Police. I love the friendly customer service dealerships offer. Why is it easier to return a $20 toaster to Walmarts than a $47000 vehicle to the dealership?
  • wizbangwizbang Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with the same car. Have you found the cause? Is there a chance this could be a safety recall?
  • lawdudelawdude Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 5.4L Exp has 81,000 miles. Lately, it will turn over and start in Park but will not idle and dies immediately. If I keep my foot on the accelerator and rev up the RPMs, it will die immediately after removing my foot. However, it started in Neutral and will hold its idle and can then be driven. But now even that doesn't work anymore. Have to keep my foot on accelerator and shift into Neutral at stop signs and stoplights to keep it running. Plan on taking it in to dealer next week but would like to have an idea of what it could be and cost to repair, or should I just trade it in.
  • tvengineertvengineer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 XLT. The service engine soon light came on the other day with no symptoms. I plugged my code reader in and it read egr flow. So OK, I have an egr problem right? I continued to read the data and it said o2, catylast, and another one I can't remember right now as "not ready". What would cause that?
    A couple of months ago it coded "missfire cyl.3" Replaced plug wires, reset codes and everythings been good since. What's up?
  • robo21robo21 Member Posts: 1
    99 expedition started blowing hot air, figured out it was blend door . changed the blenddoor and ran fine for 1 hour. changed it again and same thing . does anyone know what is causing this. rear air is freezing!
  • expecheefexpecheef Member Posts: 1
    This might work for you in the same way it worked for me the other way.
    http://www.tennsoft.com/ExpeditionTranyFix.htm

Hope it helps!

Rob :shades:
  • ottodude125ottodude125 Member Posts: 1
    My expedition has an intermittent problem that it won't start. What happens is I put the key in the ignition and turn it to accessories and everything turns on in the truck like it is supposed to then I turn the key to the start position and absolutely nothing happens... The truck is equipped with the coded keys and it almost seems that the computer is thinking that I am trying to use a fake key...I have two keys and I have tried both. There is nothing on the key chain except the remote and the key. Once this problem occurs I have to let the truck sit for several hours before the key will work again... does anybody have any ideas or are familiar with any known problems
  • compman6compman6 Member Posts: 3
    You might need to replace the ignition relay. I had a problem that sounds like what you are experiencing and installing a new relay took care of the problem. It is a pretty inexpensive part and very easy to change. It is located on the firewall passenger side. Hope it helps. :)
  • bigblueowxbigblueowx Member Posts: 1
    I beg to differ...i own a 98 and it save me & all my family's lives....i was hit fro the side and pushed head on into a 18x18" sq gas sign steel pole..the damage was close to 11k...and that was only the front end cost.....any smaller vehicle would have killed us all.