Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• disco340disco340 Member Posts: 17
    Every single window switch has gone bad on my 2003 Expedition.
  • yibelyibel Member Posts: 2
    Bought a used 99 expedition, no owners manual and there is no label in the fuse box under the hood to see which fuses are for what. would like to disable the A4wd since it has a worn out transfer case and I only need 2wd right now.

Thanks

Bill :confuse:
  • yibelyibel Member Posts: 2
    My Prolem was the opposite - door (or something in unit) broke. Used assembly $125, $1,000 in labor.

Bill
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2004 EB EXPY? Aren't these the slowest power windows ? All my other cars including a 96 taurus are much quicker. Comments?
  • mjgreenmjgreen Member Posts: 1
    i have 2003 that leaks also
    please let know if you find out why it leaks
  • nrechtmannrechtman Member Posts: 7
    What was that noise, can anyone tell me how to stop it?
  • nbxnbx Member Posts: 28
    What is that old song about some good news today for a change? Thought I would share information about a strange noise that the subject has had for several months off and on pulling steep hills. Noise from the beginning was like something trying to engage up front in 4wd system, a harsh banging and clanging. Dealer techs passed it off as spark knock from bad gas from the Gulf after the hurricanes. I discovered by trial and error that there was no noise when setting stayed in AWD instead of 2wd. Armed with this feedback, the Ford tech did a vacuum test and found a leak on the way to the left front wheel that was preventing that hub assembly from staying in 2wd as designed. Luckily there is some sort of flange or safety devise that prevents permanent damage when vacuum is reduced. Tech replaced plastic line that had worn through with a rubber line. Seems to be 100% fixed.

In hindsight all now easily see how the vacuum drop pushing it hard on long grades with a hole in the line was causing the problem.
  • reddfish2reddfish2 Member Posts: 4
    If the clicking happens when you turn the a/c on, take it to the dealer, they know what it is and will replace it. I can't remember what the defective part was called, but they knew exactly what I was talking about. (03 Expie EB)
  • lscatcat123lscatcat123 Member Posts: 1
    HAVE ANYONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCED ANY UNUSUL ENGINE VIBRATIONS,RATTLING P/SEAT, OR WEIRD NOISES COME FROM THERE REAR WHEN VEHICLE DOOR OPENS OR CLOSES? IHOPE NOT BUT IFSO PLEASE REPLY. WE HAVE TAKEN VEHICLE TO DEARLERSHIP NUMEROUS TIMES.
  • superq1957superq1957 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 expedition and swapped out both outside mirror with the one with turn signals. The procedure was quite easy and they just plugged into the harness My question is, I went to turn on the turn signal and they won't work on either side of the outside mirror. Is there a step I left off, or something I forgot to do?
  • vbrown1vbrown1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Eddie Bauer with 150,000 miles. It runs good but it gets stuck in park. A year ago I had the transmission replaced and ever since I have push the gearshift towards park for the vehicle to start, (intermittently) and have to jiggle the gearshift lever to get it out of park. Any idea what the problem might be?
  • hartachehartache Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 01 expy with 90000 miles. On a cold start, I get a noise that sounds like marbles rolling around, coming from the catalytic converters...truck runs fine, and when it warms up, noise goes away after about 2 minutes...anyone else ever have this
  • donziboydonziboy Member Posts: 1
    99 ford expedition eddie bauer v8. had blowout at about 2 miles an hour on the rear passenger tire. ever since have had sever vibration in the rear of the suv. it happens when accelerating almost as if it has a violent jerk. we are usually able to acccelerate through it but it starts again when mildly accelerating. check engine light comes on sometimes but not frequently. also check suspension light comes on. turning the overdrive off seems to lessen the problem? any ideas???
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    Try checking the fuse box to see if there is a fuse for that feature, you may need to reference the fuse box diagram, or check the owners manual
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    Check the exhaust manifold studs. They sometimes break and the noise you hear is exhaust noise. When heated, they seal up.
  • yalegradyalegrad Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with my '04. I have checked the gas cap,tank etc and they were/are not the problem. I took it to my exhaust guy this morn and while we were talking about it,it made its sound like an empty gas can expanding. He is 100% sure the exhaust is expanding / contracting. We will put it on the rack and check it tomorrow. I am sure we will see the problem. It "pops" when I drive it as it warms up and it "pops" several times after it is parked and cooling down. Will let you know if we cure it.
  • scdscd Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 XLT. The gray body side moldings are beginning to fade. They are not the painted type like the EB's or the King Ranch. I have only had the Expy six months. It is always garaged. Around town I have seen numerous XLT's with the same fading problem, only much worse. Wondering if this is a widespread problem. Has anyone approached Ford and had them rectify this problem? I know I could paint them with Krylon Fusion, but I shouldn't have to. I hope Ford steps up and offers to exchange my faded moldings for painted ones. Whoever at Ford who decided to use these plastic panels goofed.
    Found the thumping noise. My expedition was on the lift with the motor running. The exhaust shop owner had his hand on the muffler when it popped loudly as it expanded. The muffler will also pop when the car is shut off and it is cooling down. It was not the gas tank,cap, pump, suction or line. The Ford mechanics were to dense to find the problem.
  • mckejac72mckejac72 Member Posts: 4
    I am a fairly new owner of a used 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 with 70K miles on it. I have an extended warranty through Wynn Plus. Seems to be good, for what's on paper anyway. However, I am getting ready to have it checked at the dealer for the following:
    1 - noticed stains on concrete from apparent fluid leaking in the rear between the tires. 2 - Occassional stalling when I first crank the vehicle.
    3 - Squeaking like noise coming from front suspensions, possibly bushing?
    4 - Put it into reverse the other day, and it literally lunged backward, thankfully no one was behind me!
    5 - Occassionally, it seems like the transmission "slips" or hesitates to [non-permissible content removed] gears while going down the road. Noticed at about 25-30mph.

Do any of you have an idea of where these problems may be leading and what to say or not say when I get it to the dealership to be looked at or what to watch out for them to tell me? Thank you.
  • ealmekinderealmekinder Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1999 Expedition that started having a strange problem the other night. When I open the door, the courtesy lamps go on (Reading lights in back, the main overhead courtesy light and the running board lights), Problem is, they don't go off after I close the door. They stay on all the time I am driving and for about 45 minutes after I turn the car off and lock the doors (I guess until the battery saver shuts them off). I have been told that the buttons on the inside of the door need to be oiled or greased since they are not working anymore. Problem is, there are no buttons on the doors. I have found a round thing on the inside jambs of the front doors, but I can't figure out what they do. I feel like an idiot, but I need some help here. Any ideas?
  • jkightjkight Member Posts: 1
    Hey Beep - did you ever find out what the deal was with your Expedition? Our '98 is doing much the same... no codes, won't start, let sit for about 15 mins and will start ???? any ideas?
    What resolved your problem?
    -Joe
  • pontonponton Member Posts: 4
    It's a very common problem. The door ajar light is staying on most likely as well. Open the door and spray some WD-40 inside the latch (on the door) you can't see what's in there but just spray a bunch in there. The sensor for the door is now inside and sometimes if it gets dirty it won't function right - just spray some in there. It'll be fine - did it to mine and a freinds' and they've both been trouble free since.
  • ealmekinderealmekinder Member Posts: 9
    Ponton,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the lamps still don't go off. When this first started the door ajar warning light did come on, and I think it was caused by the lift gate window not being closed properly. I reclosed the window and the door ajar light went off but the courtesy lamps stayed on.

I sprayed the insides of the latches with DW40 but still I have the problem, the lamps don't go off until the battery saver feature turns them off in about an hour. I'm afraid that I am going to eventually wear down my battery. Any other thoughts and ideas?
  • pontonponton Member Posts: 4
    hmm, idk - i'm a little stumped now. Could be something to do with the GEM or that rear door you were having trouble with. if the light isn't on all the time it might be anothere problem - stumped me!
  • lastfordtrucklastfordtruck Member Posts: 4
    I went to goto work in my 2003 ford expidition, I press the unlock button on the remote. No lights light up inside or out. I get in to start it, Its starts, My wife was at the front door calling me I tried to open the windows not happening. I'm driving down the street when i look to see how much gas I have... NONE of my gages are working, not a one. Tried to turn or the radio, Nope, no radio.. I get 5 min. down the road everything comes on. A note on the miles read out, reads check (Adwtrac), and airbag lite is on... Get to work ok worked my 9 hours go to go home same problem, But corrects itself again with in a min.
    Ford can't do a thing for me unless the problem happens right there. Anyone have this problem yet? only thing that seemd to work was the door locks, the dash lights were on, only the clock on the radio and the headlight and tail lights..
  • lastfordtrucklastfordtruck Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: I went to goto work in my 2003 ford expedition, I press the unlock button on the remote. No lights light up inside or out. I get in to start it, Its starts, My wife was at the front door calling me I tried to open the windows not happening. I'm driving down the street when i look to see how much gas I have... NONE of my gages are working, not a one. Tried to turn or the radio, Nope, no radio.. I get 5 min. down the road everything comes on. A note on the miles read out, reads check (Adwtrac), and airbag lite is on... Get to work ok worked my 9 hours go to go home same problem, But corrects itself again with in a min.
    Ford can't do a thing for me unless the problem happens right there. Anyone have this problem yet? only thing that seemed to work was the door locks, the dash lights were on, only the clock on the radio and the headlight and tail lights..
    Gary, the owner of Gold Street muffler in Ironton, Ohio showed me how to find the muffler "popping" noise. I took my '04 Expedition back to the Ford dealer. I instructed the service shop manager on how to find the problem. They now have a new "after warranty" muffler ordered. They will install it this week. The service manager and the Ford representative agreed that the noise was not normal.
  • fordedoutfordedout Member Posts: 1
    Had rear clutch pack re-built on 03 expy with 30k,
    few months later its all back but much louder.......there is a service bulletin on this --this vehicle has been baby'd--but been back many times for fixin...this is my last FORD.
  • beachroverbeachrover Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the factory DVD player. A local detail shop trashed the factory wireless headphones. I have now purchased 4 different sets, by different manufacturers and cannot find a set that works. All we get is a static "hiss" when they are turned on. I've gone back to the dealer and they have been very unhelpful. Am I doing something wrong, do they need to be "activated" in some way or do I have to initiate the link in some manner. Is there a specific brand that I need to buy that I haven't found. Help!!
  • whirlygirlwhirlygirl Member Posts: 1
    What was the resolution of your problem? We've just started having a problem with the gear shift of our 2004 Expedition. It stays wherever it wants, whenever it wants.
    Ford replaced the muffler 2/13/06. There has been no noise since.
    Ford replaced the muffler and all noise stopped.
  • expyfanexpyfan Member Posts: 2
    My 04 expedition EB with 33000 miles has a craking noise coming out of the left rear tire, and is not the brake pads, because they are new. Ford dealers don't know what it is. Also the gear indicator doesn't stay in the gear i want him to stay, it always goes somewhere else. Does anyone know about this two problems, can someone help me?
  • 99eeb99eeb Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody help me? I own a 99 EXP EB edition, and I was having misfire problems. I took it to the dealership in the DC area, and the dealer told me that my spark plugs need to be changed and and coil's 3 and 4 needs to be replaced. Well I had ford fix everything, and for about two weeks, everything was working fine, now I am experiencing the exact same problems. I took it back to ford and they are saying that the diagnostic check is still telling them that 3 and 4 is still misfiring. Does anybody have any other thoughts on this matter. I am starting to get real frustrated with ford.
  • ottersrusottersrus Member Posts: 1
    We are having the exact same problem with our 2000 Expedition and have done everything you have. We even replaced the fuel injector. Nothing is working and we are frustrated as well and nobody is able to help. My next though it to replace the motor, which is cheaper than buying a different vehicle.
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Beachrover,

We have an 04EB also and by accident I found that the Toyota headphones from our 04 Sienna work perfectly with the FOMOCO system. Try it.
  • john22670john22670 Member Posts: 4
    Check to see if antifreeze is leaking onto the spark plug wire.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I concur. Our '99 Expy had a slow antifreeze leak dripping on some wires. It would cause the engine to shudder randomly when accelerating.
  • rrobin45rrobin45 Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 03 Expedition, and I get the same sound, I came home from work one day and crawled underneath to listen, the sound you are hearing is your muffler expanding and retracting, the muffler in mine has a few crinkles in it. Take a hammer or something metal and tap your muffler with it, it should make the same sound.
  • rrobin45rrobin45 Member Posts: 2
    The plastic trim on the lower part of the doors on my 2003 expetion xlt are fading out, the molding on the quarter panels are still dark gray, but the door moldings are turning white, anyone else have this problem??
  • joe106joe106 Member Posts: 1
    everytime i fill up there is gas fumes in the inside of the truck. anyone experience this problem?
  • jschultz364jschultz364 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Expedition and it has approx 68000 miles on it. It had been a great vehicle until I drove it from Riverside to Las Vegas Nevada on 3-3-2006 and upon arrival one of the Spark plugs blew out of the head.
    The dealership that i had it towed to told me that there were 2 options.
    1) Replace the head $3600
    2) Replace the engine $8000

Has anybody heard of such a thing ???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Were the plugs ever removed prior to this incident? And why can't the one head be removed and repaired at a machine shop?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I don't know if this is common or not, but it is not uncommon. I have heard of it before. If I recall correctly there are not enough threads engaged between the head and the spark plug. I think Ford changed the head design later on to allow for more engagement. Do a search on flatratetech and go to the forums. They may be able to guide you.

Good luck.

Karl
  • badford1badford1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve this problem? I have having the same problem right now It doesnt happen all the time, but Say I'll go to start the car and it wont stay started unless I Hold down down the gas pedal as soon as I let it off it dies. The dealership cant tell me anything on why its not starting. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever delt with. THey say take it if you want, but then how do you know you wont get stranded?
  • rippinrippin Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03' expedition and out of nowhere the rear window in the rear hatch just opens all by itself. It hapenns with the car running and shut off, parked, or moving. Its killed the battery a few times anyone know the cure? Also I have been experiencing some steering wheel shimmy at various speeds on variying road conditions, it doesn't happen all of the time but when it happens its very noticeable.
  • fredamericanfredamerican Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to post a thank you for similar solutions to my problem that worked for me. My "service engine soon" light came on yesterday. I got a free reading from an auto parts store. The trouble code came back as P307. That translates to misfire on cylinder 7. I installed a new "ignition coil on plug" for that cylinder. Voila, my Expedition ran as though it was brand new. My success doesn't mean that it will work for you, but for $60.00 it was well worth the try. :)
  • razzmaniacrazzmaniac Member Posts: 22
    I have an '03 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Expy. . when I am cruising around about 40-50mph, i get a somewhat loud humming/whinging sound coming from underneath. I used to have a Jeep grand cherokee 4x4 that did the same and people told me it was the axle that needed to be rebuilt. The problem is on the Expy, its in 2wd and no live axle as oppossed to the Jeep was always in 4wd. When I let up on the gas, it goes away, and when i depress the gas more it goes away. . . Makes this sound only when just staying at this speed, not getting on the highway or to greater speeds or slowing down. Could this be coming from the transfer case or drivetrain?? Is this something that is common on ALL 4x4s??? Just wanna have some input before i go to the dealer.
    Thanks.
  • northcarnorthcar Member Posts: 1
    Hello There..We have replaced the threads on these heads without removing cylinder heads-relatively straightforward repair.Special extended reach kits are available for doing these..Bernie G
  • don38don38 Member Posts: 4
    I am currently experiencing a problem with my driver and passenger side power windows ('03 XLT Exped). They are slow and have a "scraping noise" like they are off track or loose. Of course, just out of warranty and the dealer claims no recalls or TSB's.... Any one else experiencing this?