Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paul9250paul9250 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 Expedition that had the #3 cylinder blowout. Ford has an unadmitted problem with the 4.6 and 5.4 liter Triton V8s. 1997 to 2000 are the early model heads that tend to show the problem at higher mileage. The 2001 to 2003 models are the "romeo" heads and have the problem over a wide range of mileage (as early as 40K miles). After 2003 I believe Ford used heads with regular length threads on the spark plugs but you should check with a Ford dealer to make sure that the Triton engine in the model you're considering has long thread plugs and not short thread plugs.

For those who have this problem, Ford dealers charge a wide range of prices to fix it. I've called half a dozen Ford dealers in my area and no two were the same. Prices ranged from $800 to $2000. On the lower end, most of the dealers are using a threaded insert repair. There are many kits on the market specifically designed for Ford Triton V8 spark plug thread repairs. (Just goes to show how common the problem is) Helicoil, KD, Lisle and Timesert all make kits. Ford dealers tend to use the Timesert threaded inserts because of two unique features http://www.timesert.com/html/triton_repair2.html . First, Timeserts have a positive locking shoulder. The bottom threads on the insert also lock in place once the drive tool is used to locate it. Other inserts suffer from backing out or in and blowing out again. Of course, there's no guarantee with the Timesert either and the dealer won't warrant the work. I've heard that one Timesert fix has more than 90K miles on it and its still holding.

I'm an accomplished mechanic so I ordered my own Timesert kit from an Ebay supplier (about $400). If your head is repairable the dealer will typically install the Timesert without removing the heads. If it's not repairable then the dealer will typically recommend a new head (lots of $$). The non-romeo heads generally are repairable. The romeo heads have an additional shoulder that requires a bigger reamer and a shoulder cut. The service tech told me these heads tend to be the ones replaced more often. I'll be tackling the installation on my 97 Expedition this weekend so I'll post a report after I'm done. But, if you're comfortable around and engine bay (and have a step ladder to work on an Expedition) you can probably fix this problem yourself.

One other thing to note is that the coil pack gets damaged when the plug blows outs. Typically, the tap that hold the coil in place breaks off. Since the coil itself still worked fine I epoxied the tab back on the first time this happened and its held just fine. If you're not into this kind of fix you'll have to buy a new coil pack (also expensive from the dealer - near $200)

If you have a mechanic repair your blow out then make sure they use the Timesert inserts for the repair. This will give you the greatest chance at longevity afterwards.
  • lugster84lugster84 Member Posts: 6
    did you figure out how to replace those bulbs? Both of my bulbs are bad.

Thanks!
  • ebandsheebandshe Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Did you ever get the growling noise to go away? We are experiencing the same problem. :( We look forward to your answer. thanks..... sheila and eben
  • deb35deb35 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Expedition that seems to have fuel problem. Especially when I am driving at higher speeds or going up hill, it acts like it is running out of gas. I put in a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner but the condition seems to be getting worse everytime I try to drive it.

I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me about what I can expect the auto repair shop to charge for this and what is the most likely cause of this condition. The 'check engine soon' light came on and off for a day or so and now it is staying on. A couple of weeks ago I ran it out of gas and this problem started after that, so I am thinking it is a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel injection system.

The car seems to otherwise be running really good and strong. There are no noises, smells or gauges pointing at anything else suspicious.

Deb
  • deb35deb35 Member Posts: 4
    I took my Expedition in to the mechanic and he saw that there was a leak in a metal coolant line that seemed to be leaking water on the spark plugs. He changed the spark plugs and welded the metal coolant line and the car is running a whole lot better but not perfectly. It still seems to have a fuel problem. I am not sure if I have two problems, one fuel and one with spark plugs that were corroded, but the problem is a whole lot better, just not completely resolved.
  • togdentogden Member Posts: 2
    I am the original owner of a '99 Expedition XLT (4.6L 4x2) and the car has been great except for the past six months. Has 126,000 miles.

Main problems recently:
    - engine stutter/miss (intermitent) between 40-60mph
    - transmission fluid leak
    - thumping/moaning/creaking (from rear) when backing out of driveway and going over speed bumps
    - very low gas mileage (averaging 11 mpg even with 1/2 of miles on highway)

I recently had it serviced:
    - for engine stutter/miss: technician couldn't replicate problem in test drive, but they tightened drive shaft linkage and the problem went away for a couple of weeks... now it's back.
    - for transmission fluid leak: replaced gasket at torque converter and driveway leak went away, but now I can smell that sweet scent of tranmission fluid burning off again just a few weeks later.
    - thumping/moaning/creaking from rear end: have not checked into it.
    - low gas mileage: have not checked into it.

I have read many postings from this website about IGNITION COIL PACKS and REAR DIFFERENTIAL problems.

Do the symptoms I describe sound related to these types of problems?

Can low gas mileage be caused by these types of problems? Or should I expect 12 average mpg from a 9 year old large SUV?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can anyone give togden a hand with his problems? Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gniotnl1gniotnl1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 99 expedition won't start with the key from time to time the theft lights go on and it won't turn over, someone told my husband to start it three times real fast and it'll start, it worked, until yesterday, it won't start at all. What could be the problem?
  • m2008gm2008g Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 and had a similar problem. It took a bit of investigating to identify the intermittent problem for me. First the dealer suggested trying both keys to see if I had the same problem as sometimes the key needs to be replaced. That was not it. I noticed that sometimes when it happened, it was not exactly on Park and that if I shifted into Neutral and back into Park it would start. They checked it out and found a screw/bracket missing from the shift cable assembly as I recall. They fixed it and I have not had the problem since. I am not sure if this was related to the TSB issued .
  • thediyguythediyguy Member Posts: 2
    if the theft light goes off its an easy fix if its the starter relay switch like mine was.as it gets hot it quits starting?its located on the right side firewall just below the rain tray behind a snap in plastic cover.here's a link of what it looks like http://www.autozone.com/R,APP210913/vehicleId,2545102/initialAction,partProductD- etail/store,267/partType,00102/shopping/partProductDetail.htm.hope this helps.
  • paul9250paul9250 Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 97 Expedition with the Triton V8 and have had all of these problems. Causes may not be the same but here's what I found: (I'm an experienced mechanic)

Engine studder/miss: Assuming you don't have the check engine light on and there are not codes showing on the ODBII port read out the missing is likely moisture inside one or more of the coil pack rubber boots or a faulty coil pack. Pull the coil packs and check for moisture inside the spark plug tube or the spark plug boot. A good indicator will be corrosion on the spark plug. Next, if you've never changed the plugs do that next. If it still misses buy a new coil pack and change the coil packs out one at a time with the new one to see if you can eliminate the problem. Try the #3 hole first. That one seems to be a problem area. Its also the most common blow out hole (these engines suffer from spark plug blow outs).

Transmission leak: Add some flourescent die to the transmission fluid and run the vehicle until the transmission oil temp is up to normal. Shine a black light around the tranny until you can identify where he leak is coming from. Then trace is back to the source.

Rear end noise: This one stumped two dealers around here. The problem for me ended up being the shock mounting bolts. Over time the holes get oval and the bushing ends develop play that only shows up when the rear end is articulating. The only way I found it was to put the vehicle up an a lift and with a couple of friends shook the rear suspension up and down as hard as we could. (btw - make sure your spare tire is tight in its mount. This also causes a clunking noise if its loose). Replace the lower shock mounting bolts with new ones. If you haven't changed the shocks in a while now would be a good time. Especially, if the lower shock bushing are shot.

Low gas mileage: This is probably directly related to the missing. The first culprit here would be the mass air sensor. But, if you don't have an engine check light on and no codes showing then this won't be the problem. Check the mileage after you solve the missing problem. Borrow someone's ODBII code reader and get a read out from your ODBII port just to make sure you don't have a problem with a sensor. (i.e. an oxygen sensor could be going bad).

Hope this helps.
  • jg88jg88 Member Posts: 59
    Here's one for the books -- can't find a TSB on it either. '04 expy EB with the rear climate control system. When I set the dial in the 1st and 2nd positions for rear ventilation, it makes two different sounds behind the middle seat on the passenger side. In the 1st position, it clicks, 2nd position, it makes a "whump" sound. Position 1 is "click, click, click..."; position 2 is "whump, whump, whump...". When the rear dial is returned to the "off" position (farthest to the left), it goes away.

Also, if I set the vent system to "floor", it disappears. On the higher level setting, it comes back. Sometimes it goes away, other times it does not. Is there some sort of a vent regulator behind the passenger side middle seat? If so, does anyone know what this is, if there is a TSB or is this just one of those weird items no one else has experienced?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    it is one of the two blend door actuators. Could be the one that takes it from floor to ceiling, or the one that controls the temp mix. I'd guess it is the floor to ceiling one, which is the easier of the two to replace. You need to remove the change/junk tray under the passenger side quarter window. Flex it in the middle, it is just attached by plastic arrow heads molded into the tray itself. Just slightly forward of that there is a beige/white box. That is the actuator. You can check if it is the culprit by unplugging it and seeing if the noise goes away. To remove it is a simple three screw job. It is easier to manipulate it if you take out the cup holder just ahead of it. It also just pops out. Should take $30 and 15 minutes to do, or $200 at the dealer.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    I had this same problems, and as the other poster mentioned, it was a relatively simple repair. I actually removed the entire cover in the back seat area. It required a special "star socket" to remove the second row passenger side seat belt anchor, and then the rest of the plastic cover on that side popped out with a little prying (might be a screw under the plastic cover above the bumper that needs to be removed too).

The two units that are the culprits are about 1/2" thick, squarish in design and about the size of a pack of cigarettes (but a bit larger). They are held in by a few screws and a simple plug. As the previous poster noted, unplug one and see if the sound goes away.

I ordered replacements online, but you could probably get them from your local Ford store too. One of the actuators costs about $18, but the other was almost $40. Overall it was an easy repair considering I'd seen posters who said they paid $400 to get that fixed.

Good luck.
  • jantj5jantj5 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
  • genoahgenoah Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Ford Expedition 4.6 V8 with a really bad leak, there’s cooling fluid really pouring out of a spot that I cannot exactly see above the starter motor. The hoses and lines seem intact and there’s no water in the oil and it runs ok as long as I keep topping up. Any help or advice would be lovely,
    Thanks,
    Jessica
  • woodyewoodye Member Posts: 7
    There is a spark plug removal problem in the 5.4 Liter engine. The plugs have a long shank below the threads in a tight hole in the head going down to and open to the combustion chamber. Carbon and combustion crud builds up around the shank below the threads and locks the plug in place. Forcing the plugs can strip the thread since they may not be strong enough to break the buildup.

I called a lot of Ford mechanics and finally may have found the solution. On a Warm Engine, (most Ford Service reps said Cold engine, wrong!) losen the spark plug 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Then spray carb cleaner around the plug. It goes around the threads and breaks lose the carbon and crud build-up around the long shank of the plug.

I replaced my plugs using this procedure and everthing worked OK. You can hear the carb cleaner bubbling/sizzling, and the plugs came out fine. I used a magnet to pull them out of the head recess and had to wiggle a couple of plugs. Still a pain and knuckle busting job; but, didn't break any plugs.

Champain makes a one piece plug, the stock plugs appear to be a bonded two piece shank. They are expensive and may not be necessary with the above procedure with a stock plug.

If you have already stripped the threads, I understand Car Quest has a good kit with a hela-coil to replace the threads, if you can get the broken shank out of the head.
    Woody
  • colleenbrewcolleenbrew Member Posts: 2
    I have a used 2003 Ford Expedition and for some reason, the check back up aide message comes on each time I go into reverse, however, the back up beeping noise has only come on once. I have no idea where this sensor is located, or how to go about even fixing something like this. The previous owners did tow a camper, so I think it may have been disconnected, if this is possible. Does anyone know how to find and/or fix this problem?
  • txhill4txhill4 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 expedition that is doing this exact thing. Where did you find the info to fix it. Any help would be great!
  • stephquastephqua Member Posts: 1
    my gear lever will not go into park and to turn my truck on i have to put it in nuetral
  • iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    I'm seriously considering buying a used 08 EB EL RWD with 16,800 miles. Are there any problem areas with the new generation of Expeditions?
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I purchased a used 07 EB 4wd Expedition back in June. The only issue I've run into is poor shifting with the 6speed transmission (slow to downshift to 1st when coming to a brief dead stop, it would stay in 2nd gear, unless stopped for several seconds). I don't know if it affects 2008 models or not. I had the dealer perform a TSB to reprogram the module that controls the transmission and that fixed the problem. So far I really like the Expe.
  • msmoniquemsmonique Member Posts: 1
    my 03 xlt has recently started to stall upon initial start up, when i first turn the truck on when it's cold or has been sitting for a while, it hesitates to start, but then kicks over after a few seconds, and if i turn the truck off right after the hesitant initial start up, and start it up again, it doesnt hesitate to start, and it starts right up just fine. HELP, Any Ideas????? :confuse:
  • sjaz1sjaz1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Expedition, 5.4L V-8 Eddie Bauer. My wife took it in for annual state inspection and while inspecting the tires the service tech told her the front wheel bearings were bad. He told her that he would have to replace the entire hub assemblies because "you can't just replace bearings like you could in the old days on old cars". So he's charging ~$1200 parts & labor to replace both front hub assemblies. Can't the bearings only be replaced as long as there is no damage to the hubs?

Thanks,

Scott
  • coneflowerconeflower Member Posts: 5
    Please go to : http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/tierods/mechanics.html Ford knows they have a problem with this, this site will tell you all about it.
  • septembercseptemberc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 4X4 with the air ride suspension system. I have been experiences problems with the rear dropping. My local mechanic told me that the compressor was probably allowing it to leak off. I finally made the decision to replace the compressor. Yet that did not fix my problem. Let me also say that I hear the compressor running often while I am driving. I does not run constantly but often. While travelling with a lot of luggage in the back, the Check Suspension light came on. I also recently went to have the front end aligned and I was told that they couldn't get it perfect since the back end kept dropping. I HAVE had the bags checked for leaks. Meaning that by a mechanic they have been sprayed down with soapy water which showed nothing. WHAT DO I DO NOW? Someone please help me!
  • larchielarchie Member Posts: 1
    Well... Most likely it may be the air shocks goin bad. Ive just bought my 99 expidition a few months ago. When i went shopping for one i was advised not to get on after the year 99 if i didnt have the money to have the shocks repaired. The socks on these newer trucks now come equipt with air shocks. These air shocks on these trucks have a common tendency to go out and cause the truck to drop or just lower down more than usual. Either all around the truck or just in the front or back. This is the reason why i opted to purchase the 99. It does not have air shocks.
  • jay1970jay1970 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Expedition with an in dash 6 cd player. It's broke. It is loaded with 6 discs and when I hit the eject button it says "no cd". If I try to load it, it asks for the position then says "load error". I've tried resetting the fuse, holding the eject button for some time, and simultaneously holding the load and eject buttons together all to no avail. It sounds like it is trying to do something but mostly is just a bunch of whining. One last thing, I had to jumpstart the vehicle this morning. Could that have something to do with it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sounds like you've done all the tricks for getting the changer to work. There's one more but I can't really recommend it (or maybe you've done this already and that's why your Explorer wouldn't start this morning?):

"6. Against my better judgment, I pulled the same fuse again while it was powered on."

rbronosky, "Axiom 6-CD Changer" #8, 15 Aug 2008 6:18 pm
    I had the key turned to the on position and pulled fuse 22. the radio went dead and I waited a few seconds (actually fumbled around with the fuse, dropped it etc) and put it back in. According to the manual, it is actually a fuse to the relay which operates the radio. I assume you meant with power to the radio and not the engine running right?
    I assume you meant with power to the radio and not the engine running right?

Right - probably with the ignition on to auxiliary or whatever.

Mind you, I haven't tried this myself, it's just what someone has posted about around here.
    Tried it too. Nothing. Probably got a piece of Hubba Bubba in there or something!!!! Who knows. Looks like the dealership is going to get a little money from me (or my kid's piggy bank)!!!

Thanks for the help though
    If you have a local stereo shop, they may be cheaper than the dealer. It may be cheaper just to put an aftermarket unit in.
  • 97299729 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem after being rear ended. I have found out the module for the system is under the rear bumper. Ford has replaced 3 modules and 3 sensors and when they test the system the modules or sensors fail. Their Tech's are stumped. They have ordered new test equipment for the vehicle. The Ford engineers are stumped too. I have noticed that before the system failed that I could go to the message center inputs and turn the system on and off but since it has failed I can't access this part of the message center. When the vehicle is placed in reverse, the message center states "check back-up aid. When ford fixes mine, I will let you know what they did. I think though that the dealer can turn on the system with their computers but it will cost you. I had my vehicle jump started and battery replaced and they charged me 50.00 to reset the climate controlled seats about 3 weeks later.
  • colleenbrewcolleenbrew Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for this information, all good to know stuff. Please let me know how you make out with all this so I can try to fix mine. Mine is also doing the same thing, and there are no options in the message center to reset anything either, I've looked at that too. Frustrating!
  • 97299729 Member Posts: 2
    When I was talking to the service tech. I asked him if Ford was having this same problem with other Expeditions and I was told no. The strange thing about that is he also said that there is a TSB from Ford to replace the module with a modified one. Maybe since there is a TSB. on this system, maybe Ford would replace the module in your vehicle for free. My vehicle only has 2 sensors installed in the rear bumper and the technician told me that my vehicle was an early model 2003 and that later 2003's and 2004's have 4 sensors..
  • stefatcstefatc Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Expedition 2006 4x4 and I'll explain something!

I had a part time whistle when I was driving at a minimum of 10Kmh... After a while I saw the mechanics and he said it was a vacuum problem. Ok up to know there is no link with your topics but there we are! I wanted to select the 4x4high and 4x4low and I was not able. I read your topic and from this one I check my fuses (2 fuses to check) So the mechanic saw the actuator on the right side.

So $143.00 Canadian for the piece and about 1Hour of labour.

Finally Thank you my friend and for the others look for it
  • octobermickeyoctobermickey Member Posts: 1
    Help! ...I had the exact same thing happen to my cd changer as you described after my Expedition wouldn't start and had to be jump started. Have tried disconnecting the battery for several minutes in hopes that it would somehow reset the computer and fix the problem. Just wanted to know what finally happened with your radio-did you get the problem fixed? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!
  • TAHOEPARADISETAHOEPARADISE Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE AN 02 EDDIE BAUER EDITION WITH FOUR WHEEL DRIVE THE OTHER DAY THE OVERDRIVE OFF LIGHT STARTED BLINKING AND WONT STOP WHAT THE CRAP IS WRONG WITH MY TRUCK?????????????? PLEASE HELP :confuse: :confuse: :cry:
  • hookme99hookme99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There!

Looking for quidance to replacing a crankshaft sensor on my 2005 Expedition, recent light service at dealer indicated i have a "wet" sensor and it should be replaced. Figure it should be a slam dunk job (a little oil on the o-ring and replace), but don't have a manual or any guide for replacement, any assistance/guidance is appreciated in advance.

Thanks!
  • digger1217digger1217 Member Posts: 1
    I came to this site after encountering a similar problem. I have gotten as far as your post suggested (wiper arm assembly - down to the removal of the snap ring) However, I can't seem to get the shaft to pass through the assembly/housing. It appears to be REALLY frozen. I can turn it with alot of force using a crescent wrench. I think if i could just get the shaft out to clean and lube it, it would work fine. I just can't get it out. I'm beginning to wonder if the shaft is actually removable at all. Is it pressed in like a ball joint with splines, or is it just frozen in there? Does this whole part have to be replaced? Do you know what the part name and/or number is? I've been looking for quite a while now and have had no luck. 2004 ford expedition.
  • roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    Have 08 Expedition. When I fill gas tank, needle sometimes doesn't go all the way up, tends to get stuck bet 3/4 and full mark.

Within a few days, it resets and registers full.

Happened only 3 times or so in past year, not sure if I should just ignore it or take it in for warranty. Probably a stuck float?

On last long trip, 400 miles, got close to 22 mpg. At least that's what the computer said, I didn't actually figure it out the old fashioned way.
  • justkjustk Member Posts: 1
    Stopped for gas and went to turn it on and nothing, radio wouldnt turn on but lights,dash and everything else worked. battery, starter and the starter fuse were checked and are fine. Anyone else ever had this problem? The batter light came on the dash along with the low range also. Please let me know if any ideas guys. Thanks
  • alphaphialphaalphaphialpha Member Posts: 1
    Any luck with this one? Mine just blew!
  • pickles1pickles1 Member Posts: 4
    I am so glad I ran into your post. I have a 2001 Eddie Bauer Expedition 2x2 with the air ride suspension. This morning when I got up, the back end was so low, it was almost hitting the tires. When I turned it on the back end slowly pumped up.
    What do I do to fix it??? Did you ever get your problem fixed. Some one PLEASE ADVISE if we can do it ourselve. Husband laid off of work and no $$$ to fix an expensive problem.
    Considering this person last logged in on the day they made that post and then never came back, a reply is unlikely. You could have a leaky airbag issue, a broken line that lets the system bleed off over night, or bad valves in the compressor that won't hold the pressure.
  • ford103ford103 Member Posts: 2
    not sure that this is the same what happen to me our battery would go dead all the time after a long time ..........Had to fix it it was seat covers on the drivers side
    the cover was hitting the button that moves your seat ...........
    HOPE THIS WILL HELP
  • ford103ford103 Member Posts: 2
    My alarm is not working and not sure where the fuse's are for the alarm??????????? :(
    1999 FORD EXPEDITION
  • jamie27jamie27 Member Posts: 1
    there is a clicking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle inside, someone told me that it is probably the actuator and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so if this is the case. 2004 eddie bauer
    you aren't being very specific with your issue. when does it do it? If it is a blend door actuator it is related to the rear heating and cooling and will make the noise when you try to use the rear system. There are two actuators in the rear, so if it is the case you need to figure out if it is the one that changes air from roof to floor or the one that changes from hot to cold.