Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• johnsonrsjohnsonrs Member Posts: 3
    I had a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 34000 miles on it until my daughter totaled it last week. The only mechanical problem experienced during ownership was a leaky transfer case seal detected in the first 2000 miles and repaired under warranty. The vehicle was extremely reliable. No squeeks or rattles. Average fuel economy on the highway was 17 mpg. Even though my daughter rolled the vehicle on its side, no injuries to her. I guess they are safe as well.
  • ranwin33ranwin33 Member Posts: 10
    I have not had many problems with the Expedition itself. The reverse sensor is a little erratic at times.

Took it on a 3700 mile vacation from the plains of Kansas to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, down to Savannah, Georgia and back. Gas mileage varied between a high of 24.5 and a low of 15.5. The high actually came while driving in the Smoky Mountains. Have a 2001 XLT, 4.6, 2X4 and seemed to do just fine. Had my 82 year old mother-in-law, her 78 year old sister, my wife and myself with a ton of luggage and a refrigerator which runs off the power outlet. Had to remove the rear seat, but everyone did fine with plenty of room. No complaints from anyone about the ride.

I have had problems with the dealership regarding an aftermarket part they installed. Bob Allen Ford of Overland Park, Kansas. Lied to, poor service, possible fraud etc. etc. Here is a hyperlink to the website detailing the whole mess if anyone is interested. http://www.angelfire.com/ks3/ranwin/

Things are fixed now, but only through a great deal of effort on my part.
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    It gave me great pleasure to read your information
    in #53. If all consumers would take such action,
    these dealerships would have to step-up-to the plate regarding customer relationship in a positive manner. Stay on top of the issue. I wish you the best of luck. Although I live in the Atlanta, Ga. metro area, I purchase vehicles wherever I get a realistic negotiation. I will
    remove the two dealerships you referred to. I believe you without hearing what they have to say in rebuttal. I suspect many readers concur with
    you.
  • vendovendo Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a loaded XLT expy. It's a black beauty.. not looking forward to keeping it clean during the Winter in Connecticut. I picked it up on Saturday and wanted to know if anyone has noticed a faint sound that I can only describe as 'zzz' 'zzz' coming from the engine. It almost sounds like the vibrating that comes from a broken weld on a heat shield but not as load. Took it to the dealer today and they said its the transmission fluid pumping in the tranny. The guy shifted thru the gears and I cound hear it change pitches. Anyone else notice this. I heard the same noise on my friends Navigator but not as loud. Only had 150 miles on it so maybe it needs to break in.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We've had our 2001 EB since January and I haven't heard a sound like you describe. BTW- I believe I have transmission fluid pumping in my tranny too. That sounds like a bogus answer to me. Anyone else?
  • fordxpyfordxpy Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a 2001 EB Expedition. The one I'm considering has some options that I really don't need, but the price seems very good. Any idea what the average above invoice is that they are quoting these days?

Also, I'm curious to see if anyone has had any issues with the options. The one I'm most curious about is the Four Corner Load Leveling Suspension. I can't find any information on it anywhere except that it is pneumatic. I tend to drive my vehicles forever and this has the potential to be something that would go out within five years, probably meaning a nice charge from the local Ford dealership.

I may have the dealer install a moonroof (can't find one w/ bench seat in the back). Two dealers have told me "we do it all the time and have had no problem". I'm sure they would not mislead me...;Does anyone have any info on aftermarket moonroofs?

Finally, any quality issues w/ the entertainment center? In the south, it is a no-charge option.

Thanks in advance
  • worldii2worldii2 Member Posts: 27
    Has the dealer your doing negotiations with entertain a dealer trade for an Expedition with a
    moonroof. I purchased a 2001 EB in the south and
    it had a $800.00 discount option for moonroof.
    There has not been any Tech Bulletins issued regarding the leveling system nor consumer complaints with NHTSA. A total of $300 over
    invoice I consider realistic. The dealers floor plan has a great bearing on how they will negotiate. Go for a dealer trade and get what you want factory installed
  • vendovendo Member Posts: 4
    It does sound bogus but I can feel the two transmission lines vibrate slightly every time I hear the sound. Not sure if there is a pump that is pushing the fluid thru that's noisy. I'm going to bring it by again and see if they can make it disappear. Can't hear is while it's driving and can't always hear it while it's idling. Any one else run across this situation.
  • ejzejz Member Posts: 18
    I don't think I have heard the noise you are referring to. The one that I hear is a whine that I think comes from the transmission at around 1000 - 1200 RPMS. Was told this is not uncommon (the Lincoln LS's have the same noise). At least it is documented if I have problems later.
  • bzleybzley Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing an Expy. I looking at an EB w/entertainment system. It also includes heated seats. The dealership sale price is $36,562. I wanted to know if this is a good price. Also, I need to know what problems have other owners experienced.

I am trading in my 96 Windstar w/120,000 miles. The only problem I've had was the transmission needed to be replaced at 50,000+ miles. Luckly I had the extended warranty (Which I plan to buy if I get the Expy.) Other than the transmission, I think I have had a GREAT experience with FORD.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • porterdporterd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 EB expedition with no major problems, however, we have had a metalic clicking noise coming from the front wheels that I can hear when I drive both very slow or faster. My dealer thought it was the center wheel caps, the next time they said it was coming from cupped tires and would be fixed once I get them replaced.

Anybody else out there heard this noise? It is annoying with the window down.

Also, I have rust on my rear tow package next to the hitch hookup. The dealer doesn't think this is covered under warranty and I should take it to zebart to have it rust proofed.

Anybody know whether this is covered by the 3yr/36k mile warranty?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    I think the rust clause in most warranties is termed "outer body rust through" or "outer body rust". They are usually referring to painted surfaces on the body, not underbody stuff like the hitch. Most hitches rust. I have just gotten a can of spray primer every other year or two and given a quick hit.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a used 1999 expedition about a month ago. I really like it, however, during the past week it has been a little hard to start. When you turn the key it takes about 5 to 6 seconds to start. It has the 5.4, with 27,000 miles. Any comments? Thanks.
  • bud789bud789 Member Posts: 9
    If safety is a consideration, then you should look elsewhere. While the Expedition has not been crash tested, the Ford F150 was a dismal performer in the recent IIHS crash tests. The expedition is based on this vehicle and will probably do worse, given its extra weight. The poor occupants were crushed in this vehicle and to make matters worse, the airbag deployed late.

I would seriously consider a Sequioa (based on the Tundra) given these results.

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2001/pr060401.htm

• cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    Fortunately you don't have to extrapolate pickup crash results because the government has done crash testing of the Expedition (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2001SUVs.html). The Expedition has a five-star rating for both driver and passenger. The Toyota SUVs tested both have worse ratings.
  • bud789bud789 Member Posts: 9
    The nhtsa test is not realistic. It only tests a front on collision where the entire front of the vehicle evenly collides with a flat surface. No wreck is like that. The test was watered down to satisfy complaints from the American Car manufacturers. As a result, he F150 passes the NHTSA test.

A more realistic test than the NTHSA test is the IIHS test (same type used in Canada and Europe) The IIHS test is much more realistic in that only part of the vehicle collides with an object. This type of collision is much more likely in the real world than a flat headon. Unfortunately the F150 utterly fails this test. My guess is the Expedition will too. Choose the Tundra/Sequioa instead. The Toyotas appear to be much safer.

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2001/pr060401.htm

• billyk2billyk2 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to share my problems on my 4 month old $34,000 piece...
    So far had leaking rear differential fixed, leaking power steering pump and gearbox replaced with remanufactured of course. Since then it lost power steering completely once on a road trip for bit and started working again. It hasn't done it that dramatically since but it still gets firm on occasion more than it's supposed to. The problem is it's intermittent and doesn't seem to happen when I take it in. Also it's been in twice for the flip down TV which won't ever turn on.. Try explaining that to your 2 year old on a 4 hour road trip. Oh yea and today the motor reved way up on my wife for no reason and it took both her feet on the brake to keep it from wiping out a Miata. At least at this rate it won't take long to file for the Texas Lemon Law but it sure is getting harder to write that $600 dollar a month payment..
  • mollymoo1mollymoo1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a vibration in a 2000-2002 Ford Expedition when accelerating from a stopped position? This is a constant problem on our new 2001 with less than 3000 miles. Dealer says its a "characteristic" and "they all do that." I say no, and fix it. Currently doing battle with Ford. Any help is appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    billyk2,

You say you lost power steering and, since the dealer cannot reproduce it, it cannot be a real problem?

This is a safety issue and you're going to have to lean on them! They should err on the side of caution and take the assembly apart then fix it! IMHO!

tidester
    host
    SUVs
  • rpjazzerrpjazzer Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this site so I don't know how to post a message to the other topics. This is an answer to the extended warranty querry. I have tried three extended warranty sites and I chose Warrantybynet. It will cost me over $1500.00 for 7 additional years or 80,000 total miles payable in 9 months. The company has been in the business for over 17 years and rated A- by A M Best.
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    Hi everyone. I will soon learn what my dealer has to say about the blue smoke that comes from my 2002 4.6 Eddie Bauer. It was noticed at around 250 miles. On initial start up in the mornings, I get a LARGE puff of blue (oil) smoke. It doesn't happen for the rest of the day, once the engine has some heat in it. When I dropped it off at the dealer today with 600 miles on it, the service manager told me he has seen others doing it, and it is "normal". I love the truck, but I will not keep a new vehicle that smokes when it is started. Can any of you offer any similar experiences, and what was done about it? I can't find any TSB material online that relates to this problem, nor have I seen it mentioned in the 500+ posts I just read. Thanks for your input.
  • wstone2wstone2 Member Posts: 1
    mine has smoked the last couple of years on the 1st start also. i have just hit 80,000 miles and i must have a truck built on a wed. because have had little trouble with it since i bouht it in 97
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    My new E.B. Expedition 4.6 4X2 has less than one thousand miles on it, and on several occasions I have had heavy blue smoke at start up, usually after sitting overnight. This was first seen at around 250 miles. I do know I am not the only customer they have had with this complaint, but they tell me the other customers have accepted this as normal. I don't. I own four other high mileage GM cars that don't smoke. My dealer is telling me to "drive it", "see if it uses any oil", and, "if it gets worse, come back". Has anyone else had a similar problem, and how was it handled? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • expyownerexpyowner Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 4wd XLT has just over 20K miles on it, and is 1-1/2 years old. We took it in for an oil leak, and the dealer says they have to replace the blown head gasket. Their technical service bulletin also indicates that while they do that they should also replace the head. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, should we anticipate taking it in for a valve adjustment in the near future after these repairs? We enjoy the SUV, but are alarmed at a major problem like this. Comments? Thank you.
  • lowieowielowieowie Member Posts: 1
    My father owns a 2000 Expedition and yesterday the spare tire just fell off in the middle of a highway. He asked me to check around and see if anyone has had this problem. If you have, can you email me.

Thanks
  • vaulk67vaulk67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Expedition, recently while driving in the evening , the headlights and dash lights went out , I switched them off and back on , it seemed to take care of the problem, it has happen twice. Has anyone ever encountered something similar ?
  • kwg1494kwg1494 Member Posts: 4
    I had an oil leak when I bought my 1999 new, with less that 5000 miles, I noticed oil on the driveway, small quarter size spots. Went to the dealer, who looked at it the first time and said they fixed the problem. I still had oil leaking, so I crawl under and see some at the head gasket near the cylinder head. Back to the dealer, they don't see it but will put dye in to see where it's coming from. They finally agreed that there was an oil leak, but because of the mileage and the unusual area of the leak will replace the whole engine. They did and no more leaks. My friend had the same problem and they replaced the gasket with about 20K on his 1999. The gasket still leaked, and after a short battle they agreed to replace the engine. So watch them closely and don't be afraid to take it to another mechanic for another opinion. If you can't agree with the dealer call the Ford Customer service 1-800 number. I have had success with them persuading the dealer to see things my way.
    Hope everything works out okay.
  • dsipiorskidsipiorski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Expedition EB and every time the weather turns cold the fan belt squeaks when I start the engine. The noise goes away after about 15 minutes. Ford dealer can not seem to fix the problem. Any Ideas!
    Plus the transmission cable went out at 38,000 miles. Just my luck to be out of warranty by 2000 miles.
    Overall no major problems. My wife loves the Expedition. Do I have to say anything more!
  • warner13warner13 Member Posts: 1
    From the beginning, my 2001 Expedition has vibrated especially between 60 and 66 mph. At slower speeds this vibration is a subtle 'bounce'. Dealer has balanced tires, aligned... still no solution to vibration. Feels like a horizontal vibration, dealer said u-joint and drive shaft okay, thought it could be a broken belt in tire, but not the case. The only suggestion dealer had was to contact Ford directly. Any advise, anyone?
    The vibration issue has been around for a long time. There are lots of TSB's and suggestions for getting rid of it, but very few combinations of fixes actually make it go away. I have it in my '99. I only recall one person successfully having it corrected in the three years I've been participating here.
  • sdsmsdsm Member Posts: 2
    My Overdrive keeps flashing OFF at me but only sometimes. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I will go a day and it will not do it and then it starts again! Will not stop once it starts until I turn the car off! Any advice??
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1999 Expy that I bought new. I have had quite a few problems including recently discovering my head gasket is leaking. I am really beginning to think the problems are get excessive and expensive. What was you experience with Ford's 1.800 number?

I have also had to replace my rear axle seals beacuse they began to leak. As a result, rear and parking brake shoes also had to be replaced- a 500.00 job. Now I am looking at $1,800 to have my head gaskets replaced. Anyone else think this is excessive?
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    <<I have a 1999 Expedition EB and every time the weather turns cold the fan belt squeaks when I start the engine.>>
    The fan belts on some of the early '99s did this. Change the belt and it should be OK.
  • steiner1ninersteiner1niner Member Posts: 4
    I am responding to #67(billyk2) about motor acceleration and the vibration noise @ take off. I have experienced the same two problems and are wondering if yours were ever resolved? I just purchased a "01" 4x4 expedition w/the 5.4. After reading past and present discussions I am definitely buying the extended warranty. But all and all I am happy with it. We have a 3 1/2 month baby boy, so my wife drives it the most. This is why I am worried about the acceleration problem. I haven't taken it into the Ford dealer yet. Just wanted to know if you(billyk2) ever fixed your problems? Thanks
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I don't know is this will help or not, but it may solve your problem. I have a good buddy who owns a 99 Yukon. He has had constant problems with vibration. He just recently had his U-Joints (3) replaced and it took away the take-off vibration, but there is still vibration at around 80+MPH. I think that the drive shaft is out of balance because he had to replace 3 U-Joints at just 60,000 miles. That's extreamly excessive for someone that drives the vehicle for work and does not tow. This take-off vibration is hard to explain, but it feels like a rapid jolting and goes away after about 10-15MPH. However it was accompanied by some vibration and noise.
    Also which engines are you having the oil leaking problems with. I find it interesting that it seems to be a 1999 problem. I had a 1998 Expedition with the 4.6l that I loved but turned in it due to it being a lease. Since that lease turn in I have missed it so much I want to buy another. Some relatives of mine want to down size and are offering me their 1999 E.B.(5.4L)with 50,000 miles on it. Its in beautiful shape but I really don't want engine problems, or any other problems for that matter.
    My 1998 XLT wasn't flawless but was a very nice vehicle. I had many problems with the running board light wires getting built up with ice during the winter months and ripping off. I wish the best of luck with your vibration problems.
    I'm not sure if this was directed to me but thanks for the tip on the vibration during take off. I'm also wondering if anybody has any ideas on why my engine started to accelerate during braking. I had to jump on my brakes before I creamed the car in front of me. I have a "01" 4x4 Expedition XLT 5.4L.
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Just a guess but could that acceleration during braking problem be caused by the transmition shifting back to first? I know its an automatic but I have had this happen a few times with my current explorer. I'm coming to a stop at a set rate and then I get a sort of lurch or feeling like something let go. This has only happened twice and it was a good thing I was far enough away from the vehicle in front of me have time to put more pressure on the brake pedal and stop. Come to think of it I remember it happening on my Expedition as well. It never seemed to be anything serious just nerve fraying. I hope you find out the problem...both of them. good luck!
  • rpqrpq Member Posts: 1
    I just purcahsed a new 2001 Expedition. I've noticed the vehicle leaning to one side (slighty). The passenger side is 3/4" lower than the driver. Has anyone experienced the same?
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    its something wrong with the air suspension. Turn it off and then turn it on again. See if it levels out. The switch is located under the dash where the passenger seat is. Look in your manual. If not, get it checked out.
    I'm not sure if it's the transmition shifting. It felt more like the throtle got stuck. I'm not sure. Luckily it hasn't happened since then. Thanks for the advice.
  • psand025psand025 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 XLT and really LOVE it. We've had no problems with it until now and thankfully it's really a small thing...the child safety locks on the back doors keep engaging themselves.

We have an extended warranty, but I'm guessing they will call this "trim" work and we'll have to pay for whatever could be the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's extremely annoying!
    Has anyone had any luck with TSB's after the warranty has expired? I have a 99 with a leaking right hand head gasket that is at 55k. The TSB for this came out in June '01 and relates to a scrap of metal imbedded between the head and the gasket. The really great part of the TSB is the last paragraph which says if there is a depression deeper than .001" in the head, "replace the motor". Obviously, I want them to pay and was wondering how discussions like these have gone in the past for others.
    Has anyone had any luck getting Technical Service Bulletin work done after the warranty period? I have a 99 with the 5.4 which recently developed an oil leak from the head gasket at 55k miles. There is a TSB which was issued in June 01 for "metal scraps" embedded in the gasket/head/block. Depending on what they find after inspection, the TSB has them replace the heads or the motor. In any event, the estimates for this repair range from really expensive to outrageous, and for a manufacturing defect at low mileage, I'm not going to pay peacefully.
    For those who don't regularly check your oil (and I usually don't since I change it every 4 weeks), this was a real shock - there were no stains or drippings because it leaks right above the manifold, and burns off, maybe an occasional check is warranted.
  • allenk1allenk1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Expedition 4X4 with a 5.4 engine, 65,000 miles. Recently it suddenly started running very rough and lost power. The "service engine soon" light came on. I have taken to local repair shop and they said likely to be an ignition coil that has gone bad. The mechanic said the coils seam to be a problem with the Expeditions. Anyone else had similar problem? If so, was it the ignition coil? Thanks.
  • petencpetenc Member Posts: 2
    My 1997 XLT has had three major problems under 100k miles, 1) 50k miles rough running tune-up etc $600+ 2) 72k miles running rough collapsed intake air line $300+ 3) 88k really rough running oxygen sensor, plugs and coils $685. Has anybody else had problems
    like these, any help from Ford? I can't afford to buy vechicles with problems like this. Ford refused to help at all.
  • s76drvrs76drvr Member Posts: 15
    I'm about to pass 36K on my 99 EB. Over all I really like the vehicle, but it has had it's share of growing pains. Biggest was a frame replacement after a mini van ran a light in front of me (he lost and ended upside down and totaled). Biggest headache until recently was a clunking in the front end (after 4 trips to the dealer resulted in new pitman arm and tie rod ends the finding was the control arm needed retorqing after the frame replacement. Also the torque converter coded out (I complained of a surging at highway speeds), once the pan was dropped metal was found and the tranny was overhauled. Next (2 days later) it started missing and back to the dealer for the #4 coil to be replaced (an ongoing problem with Expy's due to its positioning around a coolant line). New multi function stalk and CD. What's next? And people wonder why I buy an ESP each time I make a vehicle purchase. That Surburban rental sure looked, rode, and drove nice!
    I'll answer my own questions from earlier since I have now had an experience getting TSB work done off warranty. The mystery oil leak is a cracked cylinder head, more common than Ford would care to admit. Dealer quote for replacement $2200, Ford picks up $1700. Comes with a free oil change and plugs.
  • shanemshanem Member Posts: 1
    Need some advice. We are in a position to purchase a 01' v6 jeep grand cherokee laredo, or a 97' xlt expidition. We are going to be towing a boat and do not want to have any problems. I hear that larger suv's go through a lot of brakes. How is the safty reports on the expidition. Gas miles on each are pretty much a wash. We do like the room in the expidition.
  • gloraglora Member Posts: 1
    Have had the Expedition for 3 years with no problems...love it..big...roomy and very easy to park.

Now the problem - lately it seems that the get up and go has got up and GONE. When you press on the gas the engine takes off like it is going somewhere but it struggles to move. Have had the transmission checked and they cannot find anything wrong. Now the blinker sometimes decides not to work, the child locks turn themselves on and the door ajar light comes on sometimes and will not go off! Also, the brake pads are wearing out really fast and leaving black powdery residue all over my wheels!

I see from several boards that I have been to that most of these problems seem to be common (except for the sluggish engine) but no one ever says that they were fixed!

Have you managed to get yours fixed? The child lock thing could be a hazard if you are in an accident and need to get out! I worry that there is an electrical problem (the door ajar thing)that may set the thing on fire (while in my garage) but the dealer can't seem to find anything to fix!

Any one have any ideas?
  • phall3phall3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Expedition with 30,000 miles on it, at 25,000 all 4 doors were starting to rust on the underside, along the seam located at bottom of door. Took it back to dealer and they supposedly fixed the problem. They said they sanded it down and injected some sort of a anti-rust agent and then repainted. 6 months later the problem is back on all 4 doors. Was wondering if anyone has had this problem as I can picture a big problem getting them to fix it properely.