Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• compman5compman5 Member Posts: 2
    I, too, have had problems with my rear wiper, but so far have managed to get it working each time it stops. I was looking at the wiper and noticed that it was slightly off-centered from the mounting hole. I simply moved it back over to where it was centered and it began working again. Maybe your wiper has the same issue. Hope this tidbit helps fix your problem.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    My '99 Expy had to have the rear wiper motor replaced, under the 3 yr warranty. From what I read the grease inside the motor gets hard and freezes it. This probably happens if you don't use the rear wiper often.

The same thing happened to my '93 Explorer. Is this just a Ford SUV thing?
  • co_daveco_dave Member Posts: 16
    Well, it's not electrical, at least not as far as the rear hatch. You can hear a faint intermittent click with the wiper turned on. Sounds like a relay. I don't think I would say a motor sound because it is just a click and not like the motor running, unless it instantly stops if the blade doesn't move. Also, I pulled off the external boot and the wiper is a little off centered, but not close to touching the metal. Compman5, was that the same as yours? If so then I will try to adjust it. The next step appears to be to remove the interior panel to gain access to the motor and any relays. I may want to do this even if Compman5's fix works to tighten any mounting adjustments that may be loosening.
    I can't say that I use the wiper lots, but it doesn't go unused. We'll see if that is the case once the panel is off. Always, you asked about using tilt. I'm guessing that you were considering the connections in the column, but just in case: no rarely ever change the tilt on the column.
  • rogerdoger40rogerdoger40 Member Posts: 1
    That happen to me I just slam the trunk close and it was fixed LOL
    It sounds like there my be some connect or alignment problems with the wiper from the sound of some of the solutions. I am out of town so I can't give it a good slam, but I bet I do while I'm still at the airport after my return. Likewise with the tugging towards the center of the hole. Even if it works, I will probably try removing the panel to make sure it won't be reoccurring (this might wait until a nice cool day to is just right for car work).
    Well, I got off the plane and went to the Expedition put my luggage in, turned on the wiper and did the 'grand slam'. No luck. I then grabbed the base of the wiper where it leave the door and pulled to the down and to the left. That did the trick. Now that I have it working I can wait to see if it reoccurs and if so, on a nice cool day, I will remove the interior panel and see what the problem is.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • northhounorthhou Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Expy with a rear wiper problem and by accident came up with the solution. It will stop working, and I can hear a light click from the wiper motor when it should be wiping. I raised the wiper gently off the rest and moved it down a little (towards the ground)(it only moves 2 inches or so). Voila, it started working. It isn't a permanent fix as after awhile it won't work again. The dealer says I need a new wiper motor but as long as this works I'll keep doing it.
    Well, we had a nice thunderstorm, which we needed, but my rear wiper thought it would sit that one out. My fix didn't last long. I got out and tried the 'move down' maneuver and a little down and left traction and it started up again. We'll have to see how long this little fixes keep working. Northhou, when the dealer said you needed a new motor, did he say what was wrong with the old one?
  • eran1eran1 Member Posts: 17
    Had this same dang problem. First, they replaced the motor (or so they said). It quit again, and some enlightened service fellow said it was the stalk (you know with turn signals, high beams, etc.). That entire stalk needs replacing. Should cost no more than $125 if you're out of warranty. or simply accuse them of misdiagnosing the problem in the first place, and demand that they fix it at no charge if you are out of the warranty period.
  • blanscetblanscet Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 exp xlt w/18,000 miles. On a 800 mile trip home pulling a u-haul my right front wheel started vibrating. The dealer tells me the bearings froze up and the tire was dangerously close to falling off. He said if I would have tried to get another 100 miles we would have died (wife and 1yr old in car). Has anyone ever experience something like this on this new of a car?
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    The tires will fit, but it will cause a slight miscalibration of the speedometer/odometer since the circumference of the two tires you list will be diferent. You're thinking of going to a tire that is taller than your stock tire, which will make the instruments read on the low side. It will, in theory at least, also make your gear ratios slightly taller feeling.

I should note that all of these differences are very minor and you will not notice them, in all likelihood.
  • dabush2dabush2 Member Posts: 9
    My '00 EB 4x4 Expedition w/41K miles is sitting in the shop staring at $500 worth of repairs. I set the emergency brake the other day, and when I released it, the truck would move much slower than normal in D. When I shifted into R, the truck wouldn't move at all. Drove 5 miles to the dealer and it seemed fine, so I didn't leave it (Sunday). The next day, shifted into R and a big "thunk" from the rear-time to take it in. Being told the emergency brake cables were "corroded" and that is why they froze when I set the brake. They need to be replaced, along with the emergency brake pads (separate from the "regular" brake pads) and resurfacing the right side emergency brake drum (again, separate from the "regular" brake disc). Was told this is a common problem when the emergency brake is not used on a regular basis (once a month, according to what is in the owner’s manual-haven’t confirmed that yet). Hello, I know I'm no Mr. Goodwrench, but unbeknownst to me, not using the emergency brake once a month is a recipe for disaster! Anyone else had this problem or concur with what the dealer has told me? Otherwise, the truck has been great.

BTW, test drove an '03 and it seemed pretty nice. I got an "invitation" to take a test drive and get a free gift from Ford. You can choose a K2 duffle bag, some golf balls and a glove, or a debit card with $50 on it. Took the debit card to help pay for the repairs on my truck. How's that for sad irony?!
    Eran1 - with your problem could you hear the faint click that Northhou and I both hear? Seems like that would mean that the stalk is ok.

Dabush2 - no problems with the brakes. It would seem that the corrosion would occur with or without use, the difference would be if the corrosion would result in the freezing. Unless working the cable results in lubrication which protects the cable.
  • lnewsomlnewsom Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if any one is having problems with their cd player. my husband just brought a new 20002 EXP.today he sat listening to his cd's for maybe 10 hours straight. when he started the truck to take folks home first 2 cd's would not read. by the time he returned home none of them(6) would read and now it says no cd's in magazine. he's really upset and i would like to ease his mind and fix it if possible. i told him that maybe the mag got to hot.please help if you can thanks.
  • lnewsomlnewsom Member Posts: 2
    he's also had a problem withdrawing his key from ignition
  • kevincoll1kevincoll1 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone else experienced this problem with the 4.6L engine. It all started with a oil leak at ~4500 mi. The dealer replaced the head gasket and the leak re-appeared at ~10k mi. Now they have attempted to replace the head and are experiencing a sluggish acceleration.
  • colletoncolleton Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Expy. It not only developed an oil leak at the cyl. head with less than 5000 miles, but the it emits a huge ball "blue smoke" at times. Usually once it has been sitting for a while, like overnight.
    The oil leak problem which started at 5K miles is still ongoing at 10k miles. Head gasket has been replaced, still leaks from cylinder head. Ford Engineers are working on it. Tells me it's an isolated case. But I beg to differ after finding this site. Please respond with similiar problems.

Tomcoll1@earthlink.net
    Dear Expyownwer,
    This problem with leaky cylinder heads is not an isolated one. Ford knows about this problem and I feel they are not doing much about it. Remember the Pinto? I am still fighting at 10K miles. My Expy has been in the repair shop a total of 45 days (30 days on the first attempt, 15 days to date on the second attempt). Don't waste your breathe and time calling Customer Service, They are trained to be extra nice and do nothing about the problem.
  • wathenmswathenms Member Posts: 1
    All call to anybody who has a 1998 5.4L Expedition. I just turned 100K and I have had no real mantenance issues outside the normal. I have had slight tapping/clicking/knocking sounds upon start. This problem usually goes way after warm-up. I have heard three explanations for this problem:
    1. Check Valve of some kind not functioning properly,
    2. Common Problem and can be fixed with an oil change with synthetic oil and use CD-2 Additive,
    3. This is a serious situation involving piston slap. Engine will probably last another 20-30K miles before rebuild is necessary.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of problem? Love my Expedition and want to keep it healthy.
  • amberb2amberb2 Member Posts: 2
    My first (and probably last) SUV. The power steering pump went at 40k mi. Then the power steering gear box went about 2k mi. later. As luck would have it, the warranty expired at 36k. Think $600 per repair. Then at 46k, I needed a new engine. A NEW ENGINE. (in case you didn't hear me)

I just traded it in for a 2001 Hyundai xg300 and couldn't be happier.
  • blanscetblanscet Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 exp xlt w/18,000 miles. On a 800 mile trip home pulling a u-haul my right front wheel started vibrating. The dealer tells me the bearings froze up and the tire was dangerously close to falling off. He said if I would have tried to get another 100 miles we would have died (wife and 1yr old in car). He claims it was a manufacturers defect. Has anyone ever experience something like this on this new of a car?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Claiming you would have died is a bit extreme.
  • cobalt220cobalt220 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 eddie bauer 4wd expedition. When excelerating, you feel a rumble, shake, and vibration in the center and rear of the vehicle. It does it only when you excelerate firmly. It is scheduled to go in for service for this problem. Has anyone heard of this shaking, vibration from the driveline before? The vehicle has 35K on it. Thanks guys.
  • stang92stang92 Member Posts: 4
    has anyone had this problem with the front end whine then when i step on the brake i hear it more what could this be. thanks.
  • dalesheldondalesheldon Member Posts: 1
    An update on my 1998 XLT- I now have 46,150 KMs on it. I average 12-13 MPG City, and 17-18 MPG on the highway. Other than the gas mileage, I've never had a problem with my Expedition. So far, (touch wood) I like this vehicle.

Linzi
    If you have experienced titled problems please register with Ford Customer Service @ 1-800-392-3673. I know that I am not the only one experiencing these problems. The cylinder head and gasket have been replaced on the engine. Too soon to tell if that problem has been fixed, but I am still getting a cloud of blue smoke when starting at times. Recently it have been doing it quite often. The problem is, trying to get Ford to do something. The dealership don't believe me because they can't duplicate the problem when I take the vehicle in.

Please respond: tomcoll1@earthlink.net
  • haemonhaemon Member Posts: 19
    Hello all. We recently purchased a '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition (4WD). Has anyone experienced a vibration/bumpy ride when the vehicle is traveling 65 mph and higher? If so, surely that is not normally. The vehicle rides pretty smoothly until you get on the freeway and drive a bit faster. Has anyone experienced that? Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone experienced (what I will call) a low vibration when the car comes to a stop (but is still in gear)?
  • haemonhaemon Member Posts: 19
    Hello all. We recently purchased a '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition (4WD). Although the vehicle only has 27k miles, I have been having a problem with a vibration/bumpy ride when the vehicle is traveling 65 mph and higher. I just noticed that "3dglasses" and "jrc346" have had similar problems. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you solve the problem?

As for you 3dglasses, were you able to solve the problem? If so, did jrc346's suggestions help?

Also, has anyone experienced (what I will call) a low vibration when the car comes to a stop (but is still in gear)?
  • shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    Maybe it's your load leveling system. Is it equipped with one?
  • braindamagebraindamage Member Posts: 2
    hay expower and bodyman the normal cause of smoking at start up after sitting over night is valve guide seals leaking it only takes a drop of oil the look like a big cloud of smoke in most cases it really does not hurt anything but with low miles on I think I would like to get it fixed if the dealer says it is normal he is full of it tell him that you are going to call the EPA for it is an emissions problem......
  • echlystekechlystek Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Expedition. I have had the driveline rebalanced, and a new timing chain put in. Ford also put two new sets of tires on for nothing. I currently have 55,000 and the last set was around 44,000. I still have a little vibration which I think is from the tires but am having an issue with the dealership rebalancing. There is a ford bulletin on this issue. They say it starts at 70 mph. You should ask the dealer to pull the bulletin. They also, at about 40,000 had to put in a new timing chain which also helped.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Continental Recall

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• 99900ss99900ss Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to purchase a 99' Eddie Bauer and I absolutely love the vehicle, but I can't believe how bad the response is from steering input to this beast actually moving where it's directed... especially on the highway or at highway speeds. I own a truck, so I understand that it's not designed to handle like a sports car. I'm beginning to think that the tires are garbage. It feels like the sidewalls flex dramatically before the truck starts to turn.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem?
    Are there specific tires that work best on this truck?
    Has anyone made suspension/tire changes that have improved the handling?
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    I did change my tires and the ride was improved. I had General AW when i first purchased my 1997. They were cheap and werent very good. On the highway they were loud and didnt last a very long time. I changed them for a set of Yokohama Geolander AT+2 the week they came out. Great tires. I have had them for a while now and like them a lot. My next set will probably be a set of yokohamas as well. I think they go for $85 from tirerack.com .
  • 99900ss99900ss Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to purchase a 99' Eddie Bauer and I absolutely love the vehicle, but I can't believe how bad the response is from steering input to this beast actually moving where it's directed... especially on the highway or at highway speeds. I own a truck, so I understand that it's not designed to handle like a sports car. I'm beginning to think that the tires are garbage. It feels like the sidewalls flex dramatically before the truck starts to turn.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem?
    Are there specific tires that work best on this truck?
    Has anyone made suspension/tire changes that have improved the handling?
  • dmeltodmelto Member Posts: 1
    i knew there was a reason that i didnt want A4WD....it took about 30k miles to find out why. My 2nd Exihibition, a 2001 w/5.4L, 4wd began grumbling, grinding, and generally sounding like it was gonna come apart in some portion of the driveline while starting off and turning, either left or right......the first dealer replaced transfer case sensors, changed the fluid, and told me to drive it for 2k miles and hopefully the noise should go away......after another 1k miles of grinding i went back and the service guy said his hands were tied until i drove the required milage.....went to dealer # 2 and he agreed that the transfer case was probably shot and put a new one in....well the noise persisted and i went back...they decided to replace the week old transfer case and do some rear end work....hope this is the fix-wont know for sure till i take the ear plugs out-kinda reluctant to do that for fear of what i'll hear.....probably should have hung on to the '98 which had a 2wd switch position......any similar instances out there and attempted fixes???
  • radiogeekradiogeek Member Posts: 9
    I, too, have a problem with the rear wiper. Only got the Expedition three weeks ago, so I'm having service look at it when I go for oil change.

MY question is pretty stupid, but curiosity is getting to me. The 290-watt Mach stereo is listed as coming with 7 speakers. WHERE are they?? I see one on each door (total of four) then an addition on the passenger side in the rear-near the third-row seat. Still can't find the other two!

Can anyone point them out?
    Let us know what service says about your wiper. Mine still refuses to remain operational. If I want to use it I can go out and pull the shaft down and to the left. It then works for a few minutes. The weather is cooling off, so I might have to pull the plastic off and realign/repair/replace what ever is wrong.

I not sure where Ford stuck the speakers. My first guess would be on the dash or A pillars. If not there, I wonder if they stuck 2 speakers under a couple of those covers. Perhaps a tweeter and mid range under 2 covers. A mid range under 2 more, and the woofer in the back.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    2 speakers behind the front covers, 1 in the back doors, and the sub make up the 7.
  • radiogeekradiogeek Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to sound so stupid... Is Msg #151 saying that there are 2 speakers under ONE cover in each front door (passenger and driver)? And one speaker behind each speaker grill on the rear seat doors... and then the sub in the far back totals 7. Is that right?

Someone offline told me that he had speakers -- little tweeters -- in the little corner where the front door windows meet the dashboard. I don't have those on this 2002 E.B. Expedition. I have just pieces of plastic. I have a total of four grills that say MACH on them and then the sub on the on the passenger side at the 3rd row seat.
  • eran1eran1 Member Posts: 17
    Have a 5.4L 1998 XLT 2wd...we've now replaced 4 cylinder/ignition coils after only 135k miles. unfortunately, the expy replaced our 1992 CHEVROLET custom van...152k miles only 'major' service was replace starter. This blasted expy has given nothing but drivability prob. starting at 14k coming back at 92k and it's here to stay....hang on Mr. CHEVROLET SUBURBAN...here i come since ford is tacky and is too pround to offer 0% on it's '03 models. Besides what kind of company redesigns a vehicle but does not offer NEW ENGINE choices?????
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    Message #151 is correct. I also own an '02 EB and I personally replaced one of my front door speakers. It houses a tweeter alongside a regular speaker in the same oval assembly. You must remove the door panel to access the speaker. Do not pry the grille off or you will break it. BTW, my speaker was making a popping sound, and since I work for a dealership, I replaced it myself under warranty.
  • jwicecarverjwicecarver Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition with the General Grabber P275/60R17 tires. It has the 3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle.

The General Tires are being recalled and I would like to replace them with the Michelin P265/70R17.

Does anyone know if this can be done with the current stock wheels that came with the 2000 Ford Expedition?

Curious also if anyone has any other comments regarding these issues.

Thanks,
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    eran1 writes "hang on Mr. CHEVROLET SUBURBAN...here i come since ford is tacky and is too pround to offer 0% on it's '03 models. Besides what kind of company redesigns a vehicle but does not offer NEW ENGINE choices????? "

Check your Tahoe/Suburban boards and you'll find about 400 registered complaints about piston slap in the GM modular engines. That's their NEW ENGINE choice.
  • hdorseyhdorsey Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any issues with their 03? I have had the AC switch for the AUX AC go out in less than 30 days. I am also experiencing so noise from the front wheel well when turning.

Just an FYI. Otherwise I am enjoying my SUV.

Herb
  • slicursislicursi Member Posts: 1
    I had a bad rear seal in my 03 EB. Was in the shop for 3 days. Everything is ok now. BTW, I had a 02 XLT as a loaner. What a difference in the ride between the 02 and 03. The 03 is much smoother, quieter, and more refined. Great SUV. Hopefully no more problems.
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    There really is truth to the "first year" issues legend. It's great to be on the cutting edge of new vehicle technology....but we pay a price.
  • sksowinskisksowinski Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody had any problems with their 2000 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition engine cutting out and losing power brakes and power steering?
  • caroline913caroline913 Member Posts: 5
    I bought the new Expedition 15 days ago and have
    had it in three times for the driver's seat motor
    breaking. Seems the seat has the new heating/AC
    that I wanted, but it is a one piece seat and all.
    The dealer has taken a seat out of another Exp. and put in mine and that broke too. It won't adjust up or down and makes a terrible sound. They
    ordered a new seat, said it was here let's install it. Seems like they can't order the correct seat, it was for some other model! I called Ford and they said I was the only one with this problem. I think two seats from two Expeditions that both broke within days shows a problem. Dealer says I have to wait for a new one to come in. I own a 97 EB Exp. with 99,000 mi. It has never had any problems and it was one of the first made. I am so upset with the Exp, Ford and the dealer, I wish now I would have waited to see
    how the "new" ones were doing. Anyone else have any problems with a 2003? Help please.