Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fyrmane4fyrmane4 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition with 52000 mi. Runs and looks great but I have a sqeaking noise on the drivers side of the dash when I hit bumps in the road it is not always consistant and it is really starting to get on my nerves! It seems to be worse when the heat is on. I have also noticed a whining noise coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment near the fire wall. Almost sounds like a power steering pump but it is no where near there. HELP!!
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    I am going to be purchasing a new expedition soon and have been reading alot about them escpecially the problems with clunking and grinding noises in 2wd. I was able to find a good board staffed with ford techs that go into great detail about the problems you are having. Here is the link I hope it helps.

http://flatratetech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=0- 00558;p=1
  • dixiboydixiboy Member Posts: 1
    I PURCHASED A NEW 03 EB A FEW MONTHS AGO. I HAVE HAD CONTINUOUS BRAKE PROBLEMS, SPECIFICALLY WARPED ROTORS. THE DEALER HAS MACHINED THEM ONCE, REPLACED THEM TWICE, REPLACED THE CALIPERS TWICE AND REPLACED THE ENTIRE BRAKING SYSTEM ONCE ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO. I HAVE DRIVEN ABOUT 2500 MILES SINCE THEY REPLACED THE BRAKING SYSTEM AND AGAIN FIND I AM HAVING VERY BAD SHUDDERING UNDER NORMAL BRAKING CONDITIONS (FROM 35 MPH TO GRADUAL STOP)

I AM ABOUR READY TO FILE A LEMON LAW CASE AS I AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE!!

HAD ANYONE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH WARPED BRAKE ROTORS???
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    look at my post number 194 this maybe your problem. There is a problem with the expedition front ends. The tech goes into more detail on that web site, you can even ask him the same question see what he says.
  • lmcandrewlmcandrew Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 03 EB Expedition in November and from time to time (much more often recently), when I excellerate to around 35-40mph, I hear a loud reving noise and feel vibration in the wheel and the console. When I slow down, it sounds like the transmission is having to slow down the vehicle. It sounds like the noise is coming from the the front on the drivers side. The tachometer does not increase when the reving noise or loud engine noise occurs. Could this be the same issue being discussed about vibration and grinding?

Also, has anyone had problems with their doors rattling significantly over bumps? I have had the truck in 7 times for this and they got one door corrected but the other door still rattles even on a windy day at high speeds. I am on my last nerve with this.
  • sweeney5sweeney5 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry guys - i had had enough/... 4 weeks of ownership 12 days in the shop - I took the '03 Expy back and traded it onm an Excursion. Probably should have gone there first anyway given family size. Clearly its no Expy in terms of features but it was cheap and is big.

thanks for all your advice
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I don't know about the others here but I understand your position. When someone pays a great deal of money for something it ought to work. Sometimes things don't, but for your new Expy to be in the shop 12 days is BAD! Sorry things didn't work out with the Expedition, I wish you better luck with the Excursion. I really like the Diesel Excursion myself ;-)
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I don't know how they fixed your doors but there is a new weatherstripping kit to address door noises. I had mine replaced and now no more noise.
  • cjwellscjwells Member Posts: 20
    We bought a 2003 EB 4x2 on 2/11/03. The amount of brake dust this vehicle produces is crazy. I wash the rims and tires, then 50 miles later they are covered again. I sure hope they come out with ceramic brake pads that will fit this vehicle SOON.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Get brake dust shields - they work great and I have not found they have any detrimental effect on braking power. If I let it go, my rear rims actually get dirty sooner than the fronts which is a far cry from the fronts which used to get dirty in 100 miles. They are around $40.
  • cjwellscjwells Member Posts: 20
    Dust covers are not a good option. They will cause the over heating of the brake system. I would rather clean my rotors several times a week, than end up with warped rotors. Thanks for the comment. They should be out with the ceramic pads before to long.
    I've had the covers on for 30k miles with no warpage. I drive hard and a lot (26k for work alone).
  • shocaseshocase Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 Litre. Starting 12/02, I have had problems with starting. It would not start, but 1 hour later, it would start. It has done this 3 or 4 times. Yesterday, it would not start at all. Had not electrical power. No lights, clock, radio. No electrical device would work. Tried jumper cables. No difference. When it was towed to the dealer 4 hours later, the electrical system came back on line as I was rolling off the flatbed. Dealer says all systems check out as normal. Can not find problem unless they can duplicate the event. Must admit, your problems are not very encouraging. Anyone have any ideas?
  • shocaseshocase Member Posts: 2
    Have a 98 Eddie Bauer 5.4 Litre. Yesterday, my wife drove to meet me for lunch. When lunch was over, the Expedition had no eletrical power. Tried jumper cables. Made no difference. Had no electrical power. Four hours later, as it was about to be rolled off of the flat bed, electrical system came back on line. Started and drove off of the truck. Ford dealer says all systems check out. Can not find the problems unless they experience the problem. Any ideas?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    not a mechanic, but check that battery cables are tight. also local mechanic told me his truck had a bad battery cable that was temperature sensitive. check ground cable for corrosion.
    good luck.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • seifertcseifertc Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Expedition shakes and becomes very irritating when the passenger or middle row
    windows are down. I brought the car for
    service and was told there was nothing the
    dealership could do until engineering documents
    it as a problem. The dealership has had other
    people bring the car in with the same problem
    and even took another expedition from the
    dealership for a drive with the windows down.
    I have made a complaint with Ford and will see
    if they do something.

I am very frustrated because it seems this problem
    exists in alot or maybe even all 2003 expeditions
    and I can't imagine Ford didn't know about it
    before selling me the car.

Are other people experiencing the same problem?
    We haven't had any weather nice enough here in Minneapolis to drive with the windows down yet, so I can't comment on the sound. I can tell you that a whole bunch of Sequoia owners have complained about the same issue and Toyota has said there isn't anything they can do.

It is kind of the nature of the beast and I think you are going to have to try and live with it.
    The noise from just having certain windows open happens in all cars to some degree - the wind rushing in has nowhere to go so it buffets around the passenger compartment. It is more common in tighter newer cars that don't breath as much as older cars. It changes tones depending on how many and which windows are open. Try cracking the others a little to give the air another place to go. Do '03s have rear opening quarter windows? Open those and the noise will definately go away.
  • brdowns1brdowns1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had their 4 wheel low engage all on its own? The dealer replaced the G.E.M. module last year when I had this problem. Now it is happening again! Problem is it never happens when I take it in for service......typical.

Also have occasional problems in cold weather(<20 F) where the vehicle experiences significant resistance when trying to drive. After the truck warms up it seems to get better.

Thanks
  • brdowns1brdowns1 Member Posts: 2
    When I first researched buying an Expedition several years ago I seem to recall seeing a posting on this site about an after-market item that will boost fuel efficiency. Does anyone no of such an item?
  • cindyseifertcindyseifert Member Posts: 1
    This is not just a wind problem common to
    all vehicles, this is a problem where the
    wind coming in through the center of the
    car throws off the front and rear suspensions.
    The suspensions get confused and basically
    lose control. Everyone at Ford, including the
    dealer are aware it is a suspension problem;
    I described it as a shaking problem when the
    windows are down, Ford wrote it as a suspension
    problem. This is a serious problem for Ford
    and I guess a very difficult one to fix. Test
    your cars going 50 miles per hour with the
    middle row windows down and see what happens my
    investigating shows it happens in alot of cars..
    I can't say all at this point. Ford is sending
    an engineer to test drive my car.
  • xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    If you have a factory installed alarm system on your Expedition you might want to have it inspected. I had a factory alarm system on a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser and when it malfunctioned it would leave me stranded for hours and my vehicle would not start. This is also happened to my father-in-law's Ford Bronco. We had the alarm systems taken out by a professional alarm installer and replaced with a Viper alarm system. The trucks worked great after that and we no longer had any problems with our vehicles.
  • whome30whome30 Member Posts: 4
    Does any one else have this problem? I have my truck parked overnight in the garage, go out in the morning and open one of the back doors (in this case on the drivers side) to place my briefcase in the truck and the interior lights do not come on. If I close the door and reopen immediately it will come on.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it is "normal" or if something is wrong, and if something is wrong, what???
    Sounds like a sticky switch. The times it doesn't turn the lights on the switch stays in. After you jostle it the switch frees up and starts to move again.
  • dtd07dtd07 Member Posts: 19
    responding to dome light.. I have a 99 F150 and
    have the same situation happen. I think that if
    you don't close the door tight, after a few minutes
    (30min.??) the light will turn off preventing your
    battery from draining. Happen to me several time and
    never thought of it has a problem (this is just my
    experience).
  • brads03expybrads03expy Member Posts: 12
    I have the same issue with mine!! 2003 XLT. Their is no door switch on the back doors!! Anyone have any more suggestions?
  • normactornormactor Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.

I've got a '97 XLT with 137K miles. It's been a great vehicle for me. Not flawless, but nothing major. Until now.

Every once in a while I'll be driving along and the tranny will apparently go into neutral. Only happens when it's in overdrive. When it happens I take it out of overdrive and it goes right to third gear. If I wait a few minutes and put it back in overdrive it's back to normal. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on the highway or local roads. More likely to happen just after a right turn or a bump. Sounds like something loose, but I can't find anything. Local tranny shop wants to rebuild it for $2500.

Any thoughts?
    For $2500 get a second opinion!
  • satysaty Member Posts: 23
    I'm researching on 99 expedition xlt with 77800 miles on it. Everything are fine except occasionally whining noise coming from front drive axle or transfercase. It sounded like front axle try to engage or lock the drive when you shift from 2wd to 4wd. The four wheel drive mode is in AWD when the sound occurring. I have not try to switch to 4wdh yet.
  • hijinxxhijinxx Member Posts: 2
    Walked out to my garage last Sunday to find the back end of my 2000 Expedition XLT (39,600 miles)about 8" off the ground. Checked the switch up front - nothing. Took it out in front of the house and even with a smooth ride it bounced around like a low-rider. Had it brought to dealer ... turned out to be a $21 valve in the suspension system (and of course the minimum $80 to even look at the problem).

When picking up the truck at the end of the day, I met three other sorry souls all with the same problem. Scary thing was they were all 2000 models with approximately 40K miles.

Seems kinda' strange!! Is this a well known problem? Any recalls? This valve going bad while on the road would really suck!

Thanks
  • chamillchamill Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 E.B. Expedition with about 20k miles. I have been in and out of the dealership with a number of minor issues but the latest problem has required 4 or 5 visits in the last month or so, without the problem being solved. The problem has to do with either the suspension or steering. Essentially, when you head the truck into a turn, it feels like the front tires are square. It fights its way through the turn, with a noticeable thud-thud-thud, shaking the truck. The problem is sporadic, but it is beginning to occur with more regularity. It seems to be the worst after the vehicle has been parked for the day or overnight.

The service techs have been lubing the stops, but that only fixes the problem for a day or two. The latest conclusion is "differential chadder" (???). Not a single service advisor could even tell me what that is. They have added an additive to the fluid, that they tell me will fix the problem after I drive the truck for another 1,000 miles to break it in!!!

Any words of wisdom on this would be appreciated. I am running out of patience with this one....
  • bodymanbodyman Member Posts: 23
    Brad, Most likely the switch is built into the door latch assembly. When the latch lever rolls in 2 clicks, it should open the circuit and de-activate the light. You may have a bad latch assembly. Any service department can check it out easy enough.
    Hijinxx, You have load leveling suspension, probably equipped for towing. This relies on something like airbags, rather than springs. The bags are inflated by a pump you will find under the hood. It feeds air via hard black plastic tubing. I did not want it on mine because Ford (Lincoln) has had problems with these systems for years. If the failures are anything like Lincolns, expect large repair bills in years to come.
    Chamill, usually a noise like you describe will be tire related (flat spots from sitting), since it goes away as the tires heat up. If it did not go away, I would suspect front wheel bearings causings this type of noise. Is it 4WD? Also, you said the rear has "differential chatter". If they put in an additive, yours would be a limited slip rear end (see your window sticker under "optional equip") which should come from the factory with the additive in it. Has the rear been serviced before? They could have left out the additive. A limited slip is designed to give traction to the other wheel if one should spin. To do this, it has clutches inside that, if they should start engaging and disengaging rapidly, would cause a chatter. The additive prevents them from causing a chatter by helping them stay engaged until both wheels are at the same speed, such as pulling out of mud, or even turning a corner. It should not take 1000 miles to break in. I would think within a few days, at the most. I think 1000 miles just buys them more time.
  • hijinxxhijinxx Member Posts: 2
    Bodyman,

Since you seem to be in the "know," can you tell me whether it is possible to have a suspension kit added to the truck and disconnect the air suspension?

I live in SoCal and there are lots of truck customizers around . . . any recommendations?

Thanks
  • chamillchamill Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response bodyman.

The expedition is a 4wd, but has never left the highway. All the problems I am experiencing are in the front end. I regularly rotate and maintain the tires so that is not the problem. The dealership has lubed the stops, which is what they originally diagnosed the problem as. I don't know that much about cars but I cannot understand how a differential issue would cause the problem that I am experiencing.

Yesterday I was leaving the third floor of a parking garage with a circular exit, and the truck barely made it around the turns. It felt like the front left wheel was going to break off. I had to give it extra gas to force it through the corners. It feels like the wheel is getting caught on something, causing the truck to buck through a turn.

Any additional thoughts?
    I have a 1999 Expedition currently with 80,000 miles on it. Your problem sounds ALOT like your vehicle is stuck in 4WD. I don't know what kind of climate you live in, but if you have snow or ice in your area, do you notice that this problem as much if the roads are snow covered? The reason I think this is because there have been many mornings when I strole into town, forgetting to take my truck out of 4WD from the night before. When I then go to take a corner it fights and makes a rukus just like you explained. I then just turn off my 4WD and all is normal.

(HIJINXX)
    I am curious at why you would want to turn off your air suspension. I think that these systems are pretty safe of failure. I am sure that if you really wanted to, you could just go to coil springs in the back and the regular shocks in the front as in the non air suspension equipt Expeditions.
    Chamill-I was a little vague about what I was talking about above so I will try to explain it in more detail.
    The 4WD system on Expeditions is a full-time set up. This meaning that it is ingaged in A4WD all of the time. A4WD can be used at anytime and on any surface of road (ashphalt, concrete, dirt, snow, etc). When placed in 4WD HI the vehicle cannot be driven on dry pavement. Only on loose surfaces (sand, dirt, snow, slush etc). This is so, because when the vehicle is in 4WD HI, the front axel is locked. When it's locked the two front wheels can't turn at different speeds (while making a turn), which is why it is so hard to turn on dry pavement (the front wheels are essentially fighting each other). When the surface is loose, the wheels can turn at the same speed because the loose ground will give. You may already know all of this, and if you do I appologize. However if this problem happends while your truck is in A4WD. Then you may have a problem with the 4WD system. You mentioned it being sporadic. Does this mean that on some turns it will be difficult to turn and others not? You may want to put your Expedition in 4WD HI and see if it acts the same. If it does then you may know that is the problem area. Goodluck! Let us know if you figure anything out.
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    jrc is right IMO, something in the coupling or the axle is hanging up and not allowing the release normally there for A4WD mode. And it could be electronic, therefore sporadic.
  • js9js9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 E.B. Expedition w/ 5.4L engine as the only option and 35000 miles. Would it be worth it to buy an extended Ford manufacturer's warranty to cover 7y/100m? I plan to keep it for as long and as far as the warranty. The cost is around $2K. What do you guys think? Thanks a lot in advance.
    I know that problems per a vehicle can vary. However, honestly I have had only two problems with my 1999 EB. Expedition. Those include an alternator and a broken stabilizer bar end link. I am approaching 80,000 miles and it is still running great. I think I also remember Navigator3470 saying that his 1999 Navigator was pretty much trouble free. I forget his mileage when he sold it though. I know I saw somewhere that the Expedition/Navigator aged very well mechanically (maybe J.D.Power) which explains the great reliability that my Expedition has offered so far. I know that all cars are different and have their own quirks, but if your Expy has been relatively trouble free up until this point, then I would save the two grand for somethign else. I am sure that many will agree that keeping up with the routine maintenance is key to keeping any vehicle healthy. Hope this helps, but maybe take a while and see what others here have to say.
  • natalie02lenatalie02le Member Posts: 19
    I purchased a 2003 XLT premium 5.4 4wd, model code 250A. The vehicles had 8 miles when purchased yesterday, it now has 200 miles. All of these miles are on smooth roads and everything is fine except for an annoying, slight, almost constant jitter. Not a noise, but a sensation. It occurs at all speeds and is very annoying - it resonates through the seats. It is something that you may not notice on a test drive, but these are supposed to be the best miles where you notice everything and you (should) tell everybody how great your new ride is.
    I will take it in soon. The dealer said it was flat spots (have seen that mentioned before) on the tires and will go away. Dealer also mentioned balance/rotate may help.
    I recently read a review somewhere (can't remember where) that mentioned this problem and the reviewer made a big deal about it - it may have been a comparison where the Expedition finished poorly.
    I appreciate any response that may help.
  • natalie02lenatalie02le Member Posts: 19
    Just incase someone out there is reading these posts. The jitter problem was solved by my local ford dealer. The tires were inflated to 52psi! Reducing to 35psi eliminated jitter at low speed only. Balance, alignment, and a measurement of load force? found 3 tires to be out of spec. Dealer installed 3 new tires and all is well. Local ford dealer suspects that the wheels/tires were swapped-out by the selling ford dealer for some reason. I'm just happy the problem was fixed.
  • sagi99sagi99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm experiencing the exact same behavior that you're describing - especially when slowing down
    Do you have any updates on this issue?
    any input will be greatly appreciated.
  • bdrehfussbdrehfuss Member Posts: 1
    Does any know of any other owner who has had a problem with the vehicle getting stuck in 4WL. Yesterday I drove to work in 2WD it was a dry sunny day, I parked for the day. When I left work the car lurched forward as I began pulling out of the parking space. I looked down and the 4x4 L light was on. I looked at the 4 wheel drive indicator switch and it was clearly positioned an 2WD. I proceeded a few yards and then stopped, dropped the vehicle in to Neutral and moved the switch back and forth from 2WD to 4L nothing happend. I moved it back again and again nothing happend. The light stayed on and the vehicle's 4WD did not disengage. I immediately called my dealer who said 'sounds like a drive motor' or something like that. They said it was safe to drive it. My husband later tried to disengage the 4L and could not. Today when we brought it in the techs could find nothing wrong and indicated the owners did not know how to use the 4 wd, dismissing the facts and circumstance surrounding the problem. Has any one experienced any thing else. Ford's customer assistance 800 number noted the problem and said if it happens again bring in to any Ford deal and there were no current recalls on the 2003 expedition. Has any one heard of any similar issues with the transmission, drive train of 4wd switch/system.
  • brads03expybrads03expy Member Posts: 12
    I use mine quite a bit and no problems at all. Used it just last night. When you shift into and out of 4 Low, the vehicle needs to be in neutural with your foot on the brake.
  • mbobbinmbobbin Member Posts: 1
    I had my expedition stuck in 2wd no matter where the selector switch was set. I was very disappointed that my truck kept getting stuck in very mild situations. The fix may also fix yours if it is stuck in 4wd. I found the plastic vacuum lines used to engage the front axle crack easily, especially if cold, moved or hit. They are cheap and decay quickly. The so called motor I found was a two-way diaphragm. One vacuum line pulls it into 2wd, the other pulls it back to 4wd. Two vacuum lines go from the 2 solenoids on the very top of the firewall, passenger side, (they click when selector switch is moved) to the diaphragm mounted on the front axle covered by a black plastic shield (3 bolts). I used a vacuum gage to test for vacuum (~35+ lbs on active line, zero on the other) with engine running but once the shield is removed, a second person can see the shift lever move a 1/8 turn back and forth from a veiwpoint under the front bumper as the first person moves the selector switch. Please make sure the truck is in park so you do not run someone over. If it moves going from 2wd to 4wd and back, it is working. If not, one or both of the lines may be broken. Once you determine which lines are not providing vacuum, replace the with rubber vacuum hose (same as wiper fluid hose). The two prong rubber end connectors on the solinoid can be positioned to only connect the supply line leaving the other nipple free to connect the new vacuum line. I paid top dollar for 7 foot of hose and paid about $4. Use wire ties to secure the new vacuum line. The dealer wanted thousands and could not tell me the problem so I did it myself. Difficulty level moderately easy.
  • gaarcegaarce Member Posts: 2
    Today I had to take my 2002 Ford Expedition XLT to the dealer. The check engine light went off, and the overdrive lights went on and off intermitently. My Expy, is 1 year old, with 15K and a 5.4L engine. SM said that the Solenoid Body Assembly needed to be replaced based on problem codes P0740, P0741, and P0743.

The dealer replaced the problem part, change the gaskets and filter, and replaced all of the transmission fluid. I don't have a clue what all of that means, what caused the problem, and what can be done, if anything to avoid it in the future. Any feedback regarding this subject is greatly appreciated.
  • 03fordexp03fordexp Member Posts: 1
    I, recently purchased a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I've got 2500 miles on it and it has been in the shop twice with whining in the front end, sounds like bearing, most noticable between 30 and 40 mph. Also when going into four wheel drive, it kind of slides in over a couple of seconds and then finally engages with a heavy clunk. Anyone else have these problems ??
    This is a well known issue. There are two TSB's on it, 02-25-07 & 03-06-04. I had the repair done on my 03. My front end growl is gone and there is no noise at all now when I engage 4Auto. The only cautionary note I have is to not frequently engage 4Auto while moving until you have it fixed. In theory it could damage the hubs. Get it repaired, it is well worth it.
  • malligmallig Member Posts: 2
    I have an EB 2003 Expedition, ~8,000 mi. Wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their rearview mirrors. The mirrors have a memory function for my each of the two keychains, but for some reason, the driver side mirror always continues to keep moving right past it's limits. When it does this, the internal gears start clicking as the mirror continues to try and move. I'll reset the mirror, redo the memory, but it keeps happening. Very annoying to have to keep setting the mirror. I took the mirror into Ford, who replaced it, but it continued the problem. Then, I took it in again, and they replaced the passenger mirror! Idiots! Upon departing the second time, the sevice folks said the mirrors will travel 5% for automatic reverse, so maybe I had the mirrors too close to the limits already. So, I disabled the auto-reverse function, but whenever I use the keychains, they still screw up. I'll be taking it back to the dealer when I can work out my schedule, but in the meantime, has anyone else had this problem and did you get a fix for it?

Thanks-
    I think there is a TSB on this.

According to a Ford tech the new module released is SSM # 16675 and lists the part as # 2L1Z-14C708-BB (EXPEDITION & AVIATOR).

This is a known problem. We've had ours fixed and haven't noticed any problems since, but I don't drive the vehicle that often. One of the things the new module does is it limits how far down the mirrors tilt. I think one of the issues was that they were tilting past some type of stop or something.