Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• merseemersee Member Posts: 12
    Hi all~
    I have a 04 Exp and lately the rear sensors have been going off when nothing is behind me. Actually, some times they work fine, and then minutes later, they go off with nothing behind me. It drives me nuts because I find myself ignoring them, which can't be too good! I am not new to having them, my windstar had them and I never had any problems. Any suggestions before I haul it back to the dealership? Thanks
  • basshymanbasshyman Member Posts: 8
    I haven't had any problems with my heated seats. When they cut off I sometimes turn it right back on. I haven't had any problems with the AC hissing either. I think you have other problems and Ford doesn't know what they are talking about. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • basshymanbasshyman Member Posts: 8
    I think I heard my faintly in the background the other day beeping when I was in drive after just taking it out of reverse. But I'm not sure. I might have been hearing things. I'm going to keep my ear out though. But other than that no problem.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have an 2004 EB EXPY 4 wheel. Yes, my A/C clunks when it first comes on, reassuring methat the A/C is working. It's a feature. No other problems now.

Yes, I had a Power Seat that would get stuck intermittently, Ford replaced the motor and than the track. No problem since
  • ejbejb Member Posts: 5
    I posted a msg on 9-25-04 about my 03Exp.The problem I thought was the after market alarm, I had it removed and the same problem exist. I have had the wiring horness replaced. the pcm in the dash board area replaced, I have had the keys recoded, they even rewired the something that has to do with factory theft system. The only good thing is that it does not go into theft mode and wont start as often. It will start up for about two-weeks with no problem, but after that every now and then it wont start and you have to wait about one-hour and then it will start. When they hooked the Exp up to the computer at the dealership it shows up as no problem with the vehicle. Does anyone have anymore tips that might help! (my original message is #802 if you would like to read the history on my Exp)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, one last thought - your battery could be failing you. When you start it up, do your guages go all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, then go to the operating position instead of just going to operating position? This would be the Tach & Speedometer, and just as the engine starts up.
    I just went to start up my vehicle and the gauges go directly to the operating positions. This might sound silly but do you think me being low on gas would have something to do with it? And I noticed that it usually wont start when the vehicle has been sitting up for at least 4 hours and the engine is cold.Thanks EJB
    Ok, then I'm ruling out the battery. Could be a lazy fuel pump, if a low gas level is a constant factor. Fuel pumps are notorious for intermittant failures.

Is there any other aftermarket equipment installed on the truck, like a DVD player maybe?
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Correct. Isn't there some procedure such as running the vent only for a few seconds the night before? ..enjoy your posts and general
    attitude toward helping others whether they are experienced suv owners or not..

I continue to have a rear end whine type noise in my new 2004 NBX Expedition. Non limited-slip, 3.73 ratio. It is in a very narrow mph range of 66-68 cruising at light throttle. Fairly loud whine under these exact conditions. Ring a bell with anyone? Dealer staff looked at it and said it was the tires. Told them that was seemed impossible because the whine immediately goes away with a bit of throttle increase. Have to spoon feed some of Ford techs--many are in too much of a hurry to listen to the customer's description of the symptoms. I try to do my part by being prepared, going to WWW.NHTSA.gov for TSB, etc. Dealer thinks nothing of having you come back later at the expense of your vacation time, gas.

P.s

Sent a nasty e-mail to the company in Charlotte, NC about their junk, lumpy, bumpy ContiTrac TR tires. Company was actually defending the tires like they were some of the best. Got a follow up card a few weeks later (sorry, but the bad marks went off the page). Would you buy the exact same tire as your first replacement set? Guess what the answer was.
  • merseemersee Member Posts: 12
    I just installed dust covers on my 04 Exp a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't deal with the constant dirty wheels! It hasn't been that long, but does anyone have experiences good or bad? I have to say, the wheels are spotless!
    Rob,

One little helpful trick is to put a piece of masking tape on the outside of the windshield to mark the mounting spot. Also, you may end up buying an extra glue kit or two. The Ford version of the glue kit seems to cost twice the price versus Wal-Mart or some of the local stores.

The RVMs on a couple of my old Broncos sagged and drooped off the windshield like something being held on with bubble gum. Happened during heat wave conditions. Had good success using the Ford replacement kits. Have to clean windshield properly first, etc.

Replacement windshields from Ford Glass (or whatever the company is now) mostly come with the RVM mount already in place.

Learned that the exact Expedition OEM windshield was not available from Ford parts after a large stone killed the windshield on my new 2003 Expediton FX4. The Ford replacement part shipped was an upgrade to the shaded top model that was standard on 2003 Navigator. (the OEM
    Expedition model with all the little dots around the RVM was not available) Begin to like the heavily shaded top Navigator replacement windshield later after not liking it all at first.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Rear end whine is a ring and pinion issue in your rear differential. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in but it is basically a fitment issue with your ring and pinion gears. The tech I use rebuilt my 2003 Expy differential so he could get the proper spacings. He was reluctant to order a whole new differential like Ford recommends because he said odds were that the new one would whine also. No problems in the 18 months since he rebuilt it.

Karl
    "junk, lumpy, bumpy ContiTrac TR tires."

I was so happy when Ford finally divorced Firestone and started using other tire brands as OEM. Then I discovered my first set of Contitracs - and was actually sort of wishing for a set of Firestones back, if you can believe that.
    General makes Continentals......So I'm a little bit disappointed in General then....Guess I'm sold on Michelin, and still open minded toward Goodyear and Goodrich at the moment....
  • marchtimemarchtime Member Posts: 11
    At 5,000 miles it developed a whine around 40 mph.
    The dealer says Ford has a problem which came about when they made the Expedition larger. To remove some weight, and with the independent rear suspension, they made part of the diff. out of aluminum and had to attach it to the body, which amplifies the whine. Explorers have the same problem, but Ford has developed a Premium part which fixed the problem, but won't have an answer for Expedition until January, February 2005. They are willing to replace the rear diff, but with no guarantee it will be any better. I want to know why Ford sells these knowing they have a problem, and are selling the 2005 with the same problem, and not telling the public. Is that legal? Who do I write about this?
    A) It's not that much larger...

B) They don't all whine, mine doesn't whine.. and I have 23,000 miles on it so far...

C) The Explorers did have some that whined, and it was improper lubricant that was incorrectly installed in some differentials in one plant. Those were replaced, and that solved the problem. The rest were fine.

I think your dealer is talking through his hat, myself.....
  • maytag87maytag87 Member Posts: 37
    Hi fx4,

After careful examination, I can see on the windshield pretty clearly where the button was. However, I still cannot figure out how to get the button out of the mirror bracket! Anyone have any suggestions on how I can remove the button from the rear view mirror on a 98 Expedition?

Thanks!
    Rob
    Rob, usually, if you look at the underside of the attchment, there is a small hole, in to which you need to stick something the size of an icepick, or a very small screwdriver, this will release the attachment from the mirror.
    I wondered the same, but the service manager showed me many junked diff and spoke with the regional service manager while I was in the office. Not all have the whine, but he said a large portion do, so I am at the point of going to General Motors or living with it. Thanks for the reply.
    Are you serious? Then you have a company that's been putting out V-8 engines with piston slap for years now knowingly, and doing nothing about it! Is that going to sit well with you? Their 1/2 ton trucks with extended cabs wobble in the middle from weak frames at freeway speeds, and they just shrug their shoulders and say, "they all do that". No, I wouldn't go there. Either go to Toyota, or maybe Nissan or Dodge, not GM, if it's too aggravating to live with. If it's too aggravating for you to live with though, I assure you, you won't like the General even moreso.
    No I don't have any other aftermarket equipment on the truck.
  • hodgepodgehodgepodge Member Posts: 1
    On Saturday, Oct 2nd my 2003 XLT Expedition with 10K miles rolled out of my driveway and across the street into my neighbors car and house. It was in park with the emergency brake set and had been sitting in the driveway for about 15-20 mins!!! I had just returned from an errand, sat in the vehicle for a few minutes cleaning some trash out of it because my husband and son were going to take it to the deer woods. I had gone back out to the vehicle 2 times putting snacks in it for them. It never moved. I came back inside, put everything away, went to my bedroom at the other end of the house, came back to the garage to empty a bathroom trash can, come back in and then I hear the most horrible groaning screeching metal sound. I instinctively ducked because I thought something was about to crash on top of me!! I looked out into the garage trying to figure out what was happening to see my truck start to roll down our VERY steep driveway. We took photos as well as video and had it documented in the police report that it was in park with the emergency/park brake set. Of course, Ford can find nothing wrong with it. It must surely be due to my neglect. I must not have gotten it all the way in park and set the parking brake fully. Ok, I've only be parking my other 7 GM products on this hill for 13 years and not a darn one of those ever rolled out of the driveway!! I got my truck back on the 21st and immediately came home and tested the emergency brake. Do you think it held??? Nope. I pulled in set the brake and put the truck in neutral. Down the hill we go. Pull up again, put the truck in reverse, set the brake. Down the hill we go. So back to the Ford dealership I go. Well guess what. The parking brake won't hold on a 45 degree angle and there is nothing they can do. It will keep the truck from rolling forward (only in neutral, put it in drive and it's gone) but not backward. How screwed up is that? What the heck is your emergency brake for Ford? If it will stop it from going forward then it should stop it from rolling backwards too. I got this info from the Service Manager at NorthPoint Ford in Sherwood, AR. He said on older models he could tighten the brake to help it but newer models there was nothing he could do. How on earth are these vehicles making it thru safety testing? I'm sure there are millions of others who, like me, are counting on their emergency brakes. All I can say is you better test it before you trust it. It is now up to us to have our transmission and rear end torn down to see if they can find a problem. $750 dollars out of our pockets. Ford won't do anything because they can't get it to repeat the problem. They tested it on an incline that is maybe 1/4 of the grade of our driveway. I've had the truck in the shop in Jan for it jumping on me in park before on a smaller incline. Of course, Ford can't find a problem. It's also been in the shop before for rear end work. Now I have to back up my driveway and set the brake to at least feel halfway secure that it won't end up in my neighbor's house again should whatever happened reoccur. Today it's raining and the stupid thing won't even back up the driveway. All it does is spin. This was my first Ford purchase and it will be my last!!!!!

Best regards,
    Beth McElroy
    NLR, AR
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    I just tested my emergency brake and.........same thing! It holds OK on a level surface, but it started to roll with the "e" brake on and transmission in neutral on a rather steep incline. I have noticed that emergency brakes on rear disc brakes are rather flimsy. If you're used to using the "e" brake alot, there may be times when the brake doesn't release all the way causing premature brake wear, which could result in some drastic consequences such as yours. I own an 03 Expedition which has been in the shop numerous times for varying reasons. This will be my last Ford product. I'll be returning to Chevy Suburbans sometime next calendar year.
    I have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the right side of the dashboard in an 04
    Expedition, Anyone else have a similar experience and what was the cause?
  • headlinesman1headlinesman1 Member Posts: 3
    In reference to your dust covers and wheels, if you are speaking of the brake dust, they have come out with new front brake pads, and you will probably have to contact your service mgr. The replaced mine free of charge and the difference is night and day. Good luck with this problem
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Sounds like you're having two problems: Parking brake on those rear discs is a lot weaker than you're used too, AND you still have a problem in the rear differential. If the clutches in the rear end aren't locking, then there essentially is no park. I don't blame you for being disgusted, you shouldn't have those problems with a $40,000 vehicle.

By the way, a lot of folks are noticing how Ford's rear disc parking brakes don't hold as well as the old drum types.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    Wondering if any Expedition owners have experienced this problem: a hiss from the power steering when turning at slow speed. I bought the vehicle, a 2000, used a year ago and when test driving others, noticed a few had this same sound; now mine is doing it (36K miles). I've checked all the vacuum hoses and can't locate any leaks, the pump seems to operate fine and does not lose any fluid.
    Looking for any feedback on tire replacements for a 2000 Expedition- mine has the orig Goodyear
    Wranglers and I'm not crazy about them, have been looking at various tires, Toyo has a nice looking tire (I have the 17") but pricey @ $185.00/ea I generally like Michelins but not sure about them in a 17" tire- if anyone has done a replacement on a like-vehicle with good results please post ( I don't go off-road but need good snow performance and a quiet riding tire). Thanks!
  • duce1duce1 Member Posts: 2
    I drove my new 05 EB off the lot yesterday
    and at 70mph you can hardly hold the wheel
    from the vibration. I've seen alot of posts
    on this problem. Is the road force balancing
    the place to start with the dealer?

Appreciate any input.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    My 04 had the same issue. I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on the clock and for the first couple hundred miles the steering wheel did this at highway speeds. I took it back to the dealer and had them check the balance on the tires - which was fine, but the pressure was like 47 PSI from the factory. So they aired the tires down 10 lbs, and it was better right away. After the tires had a couple hundred miles to wear in, the vibration has completely disappeared and has not shown back up. Now it is smooth as silk at any speed.
  • blueexpblueexp Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an 04 and at less then 1700 miles I had massive vibration. I strongly suggest you get ready for a fight. The tires that are on it are causeing the problem. We have been going over this for 4 months now with ford who does not want to take responsiblity for the problem. If your dealer has a road force balance machine I would recommend it highly at their expense. You possibly have a great dealer, me not so much. They like to treat me like I am some dumb women. Anyway we had these tires balanced 4 times and took it to a third party the 5th time and they are so much better but the run out is visable and we are looking into making ford pay for new tires and rims since those also have taken a hit from ford installing the wrong wheel weights and them flying off sometimes not even 3 miles down the road from the dealership. good luck I will never buy another ford. To put such bad tires on such an expensive truck is insane to me. If they try to tell you that it is not the tires and ford knows about it and does not know a fix for it yet tell them you do know the problem that was also a line they tried with me. Best of luck
  • chiminoskychiminosky Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, my exp started around 5000 miles I took it to the dealer and they " fixed the rear axle" and know is looks thats is coming from the front axle or the brakes but is not coming from there it was the rear axle, and is been fixed 4 times already, together with the rear lift gate, radio, two defective tires, and front left defective window and also a vibration on the steering wheel at 65 plus miles per hour,
    I got a lawyer already, I'm really desapointed at Ford because I don't like any other make.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I have a '00 EB and retired it last year. I went with the goodyears again for two reasons. The first is they are CHEAP, I think I paid $95.00 per tire. The second reason, I only had to buy three. I dropped the spare for the fourth and had my tire guys put a decent take-off back under the truck.
    Face it, the truck drives like crap on the highway, investing $800 in what you precieve as "better" tires is a bunch of garbage. Put the savings in the bank for your next vehicle...
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Hey guys, any chance your trucks have the optional air suspension? They do not like to be taken off the ground without shutting off the system first. The same exact incident happens when the vehicle is lifted. It often takes a few days for the system to recalibrate, resulting in tremendous wheel shake at highway speeds...
    Thanks for the input- I wanted to go w/Goodyears but two on the vehicle now have defects (1 out of round, 1 sidewall problem) so I'm reluctant, although the spare situation could be a factor. FYI, if any readers have Expo's of this vintage, I did improve the handling consideraby by installing urethane end-link bushings on the front sway bar (not by choice- one broke and fell off- it was just plain gone!) But you are 100% right- it is overall a crappy-driving truck; the only reason we are keeping is it tows well, seats 8, and it's paid for!
  • pettry2004pettry2004 Member Posts: 1
    I owned of 2000 ford expedition 4x4 xlt. Same problem with the vibrating. Look under car missing bolt for tortion bar. Taking it to ford this week. Several people with the same problem. Should be recalled, like the explorer.
    thanks,
    Lisa
  • javnerjavner Member Posts: 23
    Had to offer our experince.

We purchased an 04 XLT this past weekend and it had the vibration. Salesman tried to contribute to the tires being over inflated and would be corrected at final prep. Parting words of the salesman were "Ford requires you drive it 500 miles to see if the tires smooth out before we can do anything." On the drive home it was marginally improved. However the techs adjusted the tire presure based on hot tires...intelligence at work. Figured this out when the tire pres. monitor came on later in the weekend.

In anycase, my wife took back in on Monday morning after I had called the salesman and we discussed that I wasn't comfortable with my family riding in this thing. They were going to balance the tires and send her on her way I'm sure. However, the dealership messed up so badly getting her in a loaner that they actually took care of the problem (offered her a pickup with a 3 yr old and 1 year old with her...and it wasn't a super crew).

They went through the usual krap and properly inflated the tires etc. Finally they put them on the road force machine others discussed and found the tires to have varying results of between 30 and 60. They ended up putting four new tires on it and all is well (new tires were measured at under 10).

From what I have read, I better starting saving for new tires, however all is well for now. Otherwise we love our new truck!
  • jekcartalkjekcartalk Member Posts: 4
    You owners of Expeditions should have your tie rods checked. I had service done to my 1998 EXP and asked them to check the front end ( 75k miles) The next day driving from a soccer tourn with kids I was entering the highway and the TIE-ROD popped off after going over a hump in the road ( of coarse I didn't realize it at the time) I managed to get the vehicle under control ( I thought the shop forgot to do something) and "steered" it off the side of the road.
    The fr tires were toed in. The Shop to towed it (25 miles), and found out that the tie rod they should have checked the day before gave out!
    My kids still won't forget- making them walk two miles before someone gave us a ride to a restaurant...nice people are still out there!
    3 months later I get a letter from Ford - Warning! Check Tie-Rods... NICE

Other than that the vehicle has been pretty dependable ( don't like replacing the Brakes/Rotors every 36K miles though!)
    I ran one 65,000 miles on the original pads and rotors, then changed the pads, so I'm sure the next owner is still on his original rotors. Can't explain why you only get 36,000 out of yours, unless it's you...
  • raderadraderad Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I own a 2001 EB Expedition 4x2, had 35 miles when I rolled it off the lot in 01 and now is in the 56K range. Around 32K, I started to pick up a low vibration coming through the chassis. Tires were replaced as part of a recall, calmed the vibration down a little, but it has been persistant. Dealer claims "all is well", did the brakes 4K ago, took care of a little more of the vibration, but it's still there. Checked the tire rods, etc... I was just chalking it up to age and wear on vehicle. You folks think it's something more?

When we first got the Expededion, it had that wonderful Ford "Floating" feeling on the road. Like NOTHING could effect the ride (much like an old Mercury or Lincoln), now it rides and feels like a truck.

Thoughts? Comments?

RadeRad
    Hello,

How do you replace the lamp in a side view mirror turn signal on a 2001 Expedition (EB)? Owners manual has every other lamp and how-to listed.

THanks!
    RadeRad
    I've read through a lot of your comments on the Expedition, and I sense either folks really, really love the vehicle, or hold dubious thoughts on continued ownership. I have to say, I am of the later.

I've always been a stickler about keeping up on the routine maintainence. The miles are predominantly highway. At 37K miles, I lost one cylinder head due to a faulty fuel injector (JUST outof warranty), and it cost me almost $1200 in repairs. I'm in the 56K mile range, now, and I gotta say, I am waiting for something else to go. I have a very prominent vibration through the chassis. Then you look under the hood, and points and plugs are inaccessable. I feel powerless.

Elsewhere, the Expedition is REALLY showing it's age. The interior is not holding up well (and it is just the two of us, no kids or farm animals...). Really makes me think hard about buying a new generation of Ford product. I have never had this high-end a vehicle look like a total piece of mare'd in such a short period of time. Even after detailing.

I really don't like the new Ford idea of very expensive, disposable vehicles (life expectancy of no more than 4 or 5 years), and I feel that is where I am with this Expedition. After 30+ years as a diehard Ford person (started with a 1972 Mercury Comet, then Montery Coupe, EXP, Sable, F-150(2 of them!), Explorer Sport, Focus and Expedition), Nissan and Honda/Lexus are really looking good.

Thanks for the forum,
    RadeRad
    The rattle in the dash board came from behind the passenger airbag. They said it was a wire that was rubbing so they secured it with antirattle foam. On my 04 Expy the gas pedal seems to have a little play in it. The 05 that I checked out did not. The gas pedal play makes a slight noise when I tap it. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I would keep it for a while. I would of probably purchased an extended warranty at 36k. Anyway now I would hold onto it and see how it goes. I had a 95 plymouth voyager awd with a 100k warranty. Many problems during the 100k that were fixed. Kept it to 160k, comparably very few issues the last 60k. Than traded it in for $1500
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    had a '00 expedition.
    i have an '02 explorer now. i was putting a lot of miles on it, and my wife on her vehicle too, so i bought a focus that we split driving on.
    since my driving pattern on the explorer is now something like 800 miles in a weekend, 800 miles in 8 weeks, another 800 miles in a weekend, i'm looking at expeditions again.
    back to the expy. we were in an accident on the highway where someone came across the highway and hit us knocking off the left front wheel and suspension.
    at first i thought i had a flat tire, but realized the sound was wrong. after figuring out i still had steering control but little brakes, i brought it over to the right shoulder and stopped. it was misting out and i saw an overpass a hundred yards or so up the road. i drove it(without a left front wheel) under there so we would be out of the rain.
    when the state trooper showed up, he looked at the expy, looked way back at the other vehicle, looked at me, looked at the expy, looked way back at the other vehicle, looked at me again, but never asked me anything. you could tell the wheels were turning. i didn't volunteer anything back, other than to ask if the other people were ok (they were).
    when the flatbed showed up to tow the expy away, we woke up our 10 year old who was sleeping in the 3rd row. she didn't have a clue until she got outside to see it. then she said, 'dad, you're going to buy an excursion tomorrow right?' 2 jaw droppers in 1 day. i got it fixed and kept it for a while.
    i guess my rambling point is that maybe it will take care of you when you really need it to, not that other vehicles couldn't do the same.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    With my 99, I found the ride deterioration, vibration issues to be tire related mostly, and a straight-line issue with general wear and tear on suspension parts, shocks, struts, air suspension, whatever, after about 50,000 miles, but not to an aggravating point. Just that I could then notice, it wasn't quite as solid as she once was when new. But it was still very competent and smooth, if the tires were right. If the tires were out of balance, were cheap, were out of round though, it played hell with the whole truck.
  • deathrowdeathrow Member Posts: 1
    My wife had complained of a sudden braking sensation while driving our 2003 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition. I thought she was imagining things or left the parking braking on. I then had the same thing happen to me while driving on the freeway, I went from doing 60 mph to 20 mph without applying the brakes. Imagine how freaked out I was. I immediately pulled over had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They have had the vehicle for 5 days and have no idea what is causing the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this issue?
    but it sounds like the Traction Control module or the ABS system may have activated erroroneously.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    There have been some problems with the trailing link arms breaking on the late Expeditions, may want to have the front suspension checked. Also check tie rod ends, looseness in these front end parts can aggravate existing vibrations. Have the tires checked for out-of-round, you may need to have them road force balanced.
    Discontinued? I saw on a Yahoo data base that the 2005 NBX Expedition was marked (Discontinued). Also 2005 2wd and 4wd King Ranch Expedition models are listed. Who has the latest?

Hey, NVBANKER. Ready for the Holidays?
  • mbonembone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 Expy XLT and all of a sudden my "Door Ajar" light, bell, and interior lights keep going on while the doors are completely closed. Before I take it to a shop and pay an outragous price I'm wondering if any of you have had this problem and how you fixed it???

In addition to this, my rear wiper doesn't work anymore. The motor works but it seems to not grab onto the wiper arm. Any help?

I have not had any vibration problems on my truck and it may have to do with the tires. I have Goodyear's and they actually seem to be the best tires I've ever used, and I've had many vehicles. Just thought you might be interested.

Please help on the "Door Ajar" thing. Thanks!

MFB