Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pastor stevepastor steve Member Posts: 2
    Seems that the problem has corrected itself. Thanks ofr the assistance.
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    During a routine service visit, the technician noticed that a plastic vent for the 4X4 system was laying against the left side engine manifold and had melted closed. He asked if I've ever had any problems using the 4X4 system and I told him I'd never used it. He informed me that because the vent line was closed off I might have trouble disengaging the 4X4 system. You might want to check that and make sure the vent line on the left side of the engine isn't closed off.

Regarding Continental tires. I finally bought new Michelins for my 03 Expedition. I had 56,000 miles on them with between 1/4 and 1/2 the tread left. But, since going on an extended trip in the winter, decided to replace them. While I had no real problems with the Continentals, I have noticed that the Michelins are a big improvement in ride quality (quieter and not nearly as intrusive).
  • ford_ownerford_owner Member Posts: 23
    I spoke with several mecahnics and also the oil changer shop where I get my oil changed. as far as the 5W-20 spec on the oil goes...they say that the newer engines have closer tolerances and that I should stick with the spec. Because using oil that is not spec may cause more wear. also you get better mileage using the 5W-20 mine is still under warranty so i'll stick to the 5W-20. Also my last expedition, before I bought the latest one, I had driven it for 100,000 miles, kept the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. and it ran beautifully like the day I drove it off the lot. I sold it to a guy who will probably drive it another 100,000 miles.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree 100%, and try to do the same. Just not sure away from the dealers, that all mechanics give a rip like we do. That's all I'm saying.
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I have a new EB with the 5.4L and notice that it idle seems a little rough - not sure if that is just the engine or not - our old 2000 Jeep 4.0L had the same type of vibration during idle. Besides that it a great SUV.

Thanks for your help
    That slight rough idle is not unusual for this engine. It's a truck engine, and feels like it.
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    Think most all of us who have had the Contirac TR on late model Expeditions have had our share of similar problems. I contacted Continental in Charlotte, NC to complain about another batch of their "lumpy bumpy old things" on my 2004 Expedition. I got a voice mail from some nice lady about how wonderful their tires are and expression of concern I (more correctly they were having) was having problems. Later got a card to send in about my first contact with Continental. There has been further follow up by the company even though I complained on the card about the lack of proper initial follow up and correction.

Local Ford dealer dodged replacing the one very bad Contitrac TR tire until many miles had run up and a new tire would not have matched due to wear on the other three. Three worthless attempts to balance the tires by the dealer. Dented those wonderful chrome clad steel wheels on the 2004 NBX more each time. (see earlier post)

After I described how dead the battery was when I first looked at my new 2004 Expedition and how apparent it was that the vehicle had not been driven in months and months, my local Firestone store manager friend said the time on the lot might be the problem. He went on to say the one bad tire would not get much better based on his many years experience. Some Ford dealers rotate the stock excessively to make it look like sales are booming (Ha!) and other dealers don't move the unsold inventory around at all.

Because of the automatic lights shut off on new Expeditions, there is little reason for a battery on a new unit to be so cold stone dead that it will not even operate the door locks. Buyer beware!! Lumpy tires on long parked unsold inventory might not get any better anytime soon.
    correction

has NOT been any further contact from Continental to assure the problem was corrected

P.s. no follow up by the Ford dealer either even though I emailed them after the third balance attempt stating that the one tire was still bumping...also no response to my complaint that my lug nuts were twice over tightened by the Ford techs (150+ lbs the last time per neighborhood Firestone store)..then I'm the bad guy for going to Ford dealer management...unsupervised misfits do not need to be changing tires anywhere...
  • nawtymenawtyme Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 98 expidition, I would like to install the third row seat,was told I could at first then no, so do all expeditons have the option of adding that seat or is it certain models and years. Also I only have four sort of hooks or latches in the rear where the seat would go. I was told that is not for a seat.
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I have a 2000 Expy with the 3rd seat and looked at a number of 98 to 2000's when I bought it- I don't think the heavy brackets in the floor were present on the non-3rd seat models. If you ahve 4 recessed metal brackets with about a 1/2" rod across each, I'm wondering if yours maybe had the 3rd seat once upon a time? A dealers service manager should quickly be able to eyeball this and not charge for it.
  • nawtymenawtyme Member Posts: 2
    no, no rods across or anything, just the hooks/brackets. My dad thinks they are for a luggage cover or to latch the kid's carseats? so not all the trucks have the connection? also, could i send it to the ford agency here and get them installed?
    I'm not sure- the brackets are recessed into the floor about 3", which means the floor would need to be cut; there probably is some extra bracing as well to make the seat connection safe in event of a collision. If the dealers are saying "can't be done", they may fear a liability issue; independent shops would likely say the same. You may be stuck the way it is. Best of luck trying!
  • dfb1dfb1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there....my truck just started this....did you ever find out the problem??
    That usually means your transmission is having an imminent meltdown when the OD light flashes.....
    OK i contacted continental and they did send a replacement tire to the local continental tire dealer. The tire balanced out and was smooth. I am satisfied. although i think my next set of tires will probably be GoodYear or Cooper
    Those would be good, but personally, I like MIchelins the best.
  • lenrlenr Member Posts: 13
    Don't panic too much about that 150 ft-lbs. Ford service bulletin Article #03-22-4 says that all 2000 - 2004 F-150s equipped with 7 stud wheels and all Expeditions built after 11/27/99 use an increased thread stud/nut diameter from 12 mm to 14mm. The 14mm uses a 21mm socket and get torqued to 150 ft-lbs while the old 12 mm still gets torqued to 100 ft-lbs. I freaked also the first time that Discount Tire torqued my 2004 Exp. to 150--turns out they were right.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Transmission error code is stored. You'll have to take it to a dealer or independent with a Ford code reader pay a diagnostic fee to have it read.
  • joe258joe258 Member Posts: 1
    my 01 exby EB has a fuel shutoff that was installed when i bought it. i have been searching on line to find out info on how it works and how to remove it. my truck just yesterday will not start. when i turn the key to on i do not hear the fuel pump although the battery is strong. changed fuel pump relay and still will not start. i really would like to see if anyone has had a system like the fuel cutoff and if they know how to remove it before i drop my tank and change the pump.
  • tristan2219tristan2219 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with 62K miles. About 2 months ago the digital display on the radio went out and came back on when it felt like it. About a month ago it had stopped displaying at all. Around the same time, during start up of the vehicle, all the gauges (speedometer, odometer, temperature, fuel, etc) would swivel all the way to the right; make a click noise, drop back down to the left as if they didn't work, then move to where they belonged during idling. This week, the same problems, but the front windshield wipers do one revolution during start up by themselves (the switch is off). The back door and glass do not unlock with the remote, and the alarm sounds like it is on it's last leg when I arm the vehicle. Has anyone any idea what is causing this? Mechanics want to charge $75 or more to run diagnostics and are unclear as to whether the extended warranty will cover the repairs. I am also wondering if this is the BCM (Body Control Module) which is not covered by warranty, or just something to do with the voltage regulator or ignition column as those are covered.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    I have seen others identify a problem like this as a winshield leak that is getting electronics wet under the dash. When the leak is sealed, the problems stop (after things have been dried out of course).
  • xbcmcxbcmc Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 98 Expedition, 112,000 miles has developed a squeak. It sounds like birds chirping when she drives off. I had her apply the brakes softly and the squeak is still there. Brakes are quiet on activation. Could this be the CV joint or maybe drive shaft. I tell her to turn up the radio. I really would like to find and fix the problem. Thanks.
    "during start up of the vehicle, all the gauges (speedometer, odometer, temperature, fuel, etc) would swivel all the way to the right; make a click noise, drop back down to the left as if they didn't work, then move to where they belonged during idling."

This is the programmed indicator that your battery is not fully holding a charge and you have low voltage during startup. Change out your battery, and this will go away. It may also solve some or all of the other gremlins as well. Don't know for sure about those, but clearly, you have a failing battery. To this day, the dancing guage needles is a low-bat indicator by design on these trucks.
  • ranwin33ranwin33 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2001 Ford Expedition. Recently the heater fan would continue to run after I turned the vehicle off - the only way to stop it was to turn the heater control to off. This happened with both back and front heaters. I also noticed when I turned the vehicle off, removed the key, and opened the door the chime would continue as though I had left the lights on. Additionally my remote keypad for the door locks only works intermittently, I have replaced it's battery and reprogrammed it. This has stopped for now, but now the radio and windshield wiperes will not work when I change the transmission from park to drive. Any ideas what might be causing the problems? Thank you.
    For those of you who are interested in swapping out the brakes on 03-04 Expeditions with the brake dust issue, here is the final line to include part numbers and costs. Keep in mind the cost in your area may differ, or if you do it yourself will be considerably less. This was done at a local Ford dealership for $747.48.

4L1Z 2001 BA Kit, Brake Shoe $233.00

2L1Z 2B164 CA Clip $ 20.62

2L1Z 2C150 AC,Kit guide pins & bolts$ 32.20

2L1Z 1V125 AA Rotor Assy (2EA) $201.52

Labor $119.95

Shop Materials $ 5.00

Tax $ 50.19

In case you add that up and get a differnt figure than the $747.48, there was another item that came to $85 that I couldn't decipher. That may have been for turning the rear rotors, as I only had the two front rotors replaced. The kit comes with all four pads, the rear rotors were barely worn. I had this done last week and so far no appreciable brake dust noted. I had this done because the brakes needed replaced (64,000 miles), not necessarily because of the dust issue. However, since I was going to replace the brakes any way I figured "why not"! My wife was upset because she sees these stupid adds in the paper for "life time brake service for $89.99 for most cars and light duty trucks".
  • kimronkimron Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 eb expy. Recently the amp and/or subwoofer stopped working. The rest of the stereo works fine. I have the mach 1. As far as I can tell, I am getting power to the plug on the amp, so a fuse is not the problem. Do the amps go bad? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • fordssuckfordssuck Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition and it is a peice of junk! The seat heaters do not work, the air conditioner has not worked since it was purchased in 2002 (even after several trips to the service dept), the entire break system had to be replaced after 4,000 miles, the rear washer broke and soaked the inside of the vehicle, the alternator went out and caught fire, the serpentine belt had been replaced 2 times after leaving me on the side of the road for extended periods of time, the radio only works when it feels like it, and it shakes like a vibrating bed. The warranty has not covered a lot of what they told me was wrong, the dealership gives me the run around, and the roadside assistance sucks. Roadside assistance left me sitting on the side of the road in 10 degree temperature for almost 2 hours last Thursday. After 6 phone calls my cell phone went dead and they finally arrived 30 minutes later. This is the 3rd Ford I have owned because they do not hold resale value and you will never get your money out of them. Ford is the worst brand vehicle I have ever owned and though I may take a loss on this one, they will never get another dime from me. If you were considering purchasing a Ford, I hope that my story will help to discourage you.
  • fordssuckfordssuck Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition and it is a peice of junk! The seat heaters do not work, the air conditioner has not worked since it was purchased in 2002 (even after several trips to the service dept), the entire break system had to be replaced after 4,000 miles, the rear washer broke and soaked the inside of the vehicle, the alternator went out and caught fire, the serpentine belt had been replaced 2 times after leaving me on the side of the road for extended periods of time, the radio only works when it feels like it, and it shakes like a vibrating bed. The warranty has not covered a lot of what they told me was wrong, the dealership gives me the run around, and the roadside assistance sucks. Roadside assistance left me sitting on the side of the road in 10 degree temperature for almost 2 hours last Thursday. After 6 phone calls my cell phone went dead and they finally arrived 30 minutes later. This is the 3rd Ford I have owned because they do not hold resale value and you will never get your money out of them. Ford is the worst brand vehicle I have ever owned and though I may take a loss on this one, they will never get another dime from me. If you were considering purchasing a Ford, I hope that my story will help to discourage you.
  • rpmathisrpmathis Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same clicking sounds and the exact same electrical problem you are describing. I posted earlier but forget to mention the clicking sound. Can anyone help?
    Today the problems have disappeared. I am beginning to think there may be a water leak causing the problems as they seem to occur when it is raining or snowing. Won't take in to be checked as dealership won't do anything if the problem isn't occuring.
    I'd take it in anyway. Tell them what's happening, that it acts up only when raining or snowing. Ask them to look around and see if there is moisture or water getting into areas around the drivers side floor board up under the dash. Or, pull the carpet and matting back and look for yourself.
  • ironmac1ironmac1 Member Posts: 3
    I replaced the rear pads on my 1999 Expy XLT and the parking brake is still not holding the vehicle. Not really a problem unless parked in a hillside area; however, I need to get it working. Can't find an adjustment for it anywhere on the vehicle???
    I would be willing to bet your GEM module is wet from a water leak. If you find that is the case, get it to an auto-glass place and have them find the leak and seal it to solve the problem.
    I've not heard of that happening, but it could. I have seen the subwoofers die before.
    Thanks, I will do that. Can you tell me where the GEM module is?
    It is up by your fuse box under the dash.
  • bginsberg1bginsberg1 Member Posts: 10
    I've got the same problem. I noticed it right after I got my '03 EB and complained to the dealer. They test drove it and obviously didn't hear the same LOUD sound it makes nor did they find any problems. But after reading this and finding out that I'm not alone, I'm going to be stopping by Tustin Ford and making a much bigger stink about this. My truck now has 18,500 miles on it and the sound is loud and clear. Every time I complain about it they rotate the tire to the rear and I don't hear it anymore.

Anyone have any hard evidence to show my dealer????
  • bginsberg1bginsberg1 Member Posts: 10
    I had my brakes changed last month and they're perfect now. No dust. Of course when I went in there they told me there's no problem and they usually change out the brakes at only 15K miles!!! My butt they do. That's terrible. My old '93 Pathfinder's brakes lasted over 80K miles!!

Anyway, they only charged me $200 to do the front brakes.
    I had my front pads changed at a local brake shop using ceramicool 100% true ceramic brakes on my 2003 EB expedition. The costs were 135.00 for the brakes, and the labor was 45.00. I did not turn the rotors as mine only had 23,000 miles on it at the time. The part number is below:

Ceramicool(True ceramic premium pads) D934, I purchased mine from brake world .com
    I haven't been on for a couple of weeks.

Question. Could you remove the lugs with your standard Expedition factory supplied lug wrench after the 150 lbs installation? My 400 lb (fairly decent quality Lowe's Professional series)impact wrench with my nearly new oil-lube 20 gallon compressor set at max 120 lbs would not even begin to loosen the lug nuts tightened as described in my original post. Same for long single handled Ford supplied lug wrench. At 235 lbs and very strong arms and hands from a lifetime of working on things and sports, etc., I'm way stronger than the average guy trying to change a flat with the factory lug wrench gear. Might have been able to get lugs off at home with a jumbo sized 4-way lug wrench. Don't know? Firestone store's Ingersol type pro wrench at 600 lbs backed them right off. Still, the Firestone tech was way surprised at having to reach for a 4 foot power handle to move them by hand. No need to have a spare tire at these excessive lug nut torque specs.

Thanks for your reply!
    Here is a more specifc description of where the GEM module is located. This is taken from another forum which I cannot mention here. I hope this proves helpful.

"Fuse panel and GEM are under the dash on the left side. There should be a cover or two over them. The GEM is bolted to the back side of the fues panel... the assembly is held in by 4 10mm bolts on the front side and two big electrical connectors that are also held in by 10mm bolts. There are three other connectors on the GEM that are simple press to release type. The water, or evidence there of, will probably be most easily seen inside the big connectors."
  • lenrlenr Member Posts: 13
    Excellent point! I haven't tried the Expedition supplied lug wrench since I only have 10,000 miles on it, but I'm not sure it will be worth the effort as you pointed out. I actually gave up using factory wrenches years ago since they always want to slip off the lugs due to an uneven application of torque. In the driveway I use an extra large 4 way so I can lean into it while applying straight on torque. I often carry a 4 way with me, but haven't needed it away from home yet--I run good quality tires and haven't got caught with any must-change flats. The Expedition has such large, heavy, tires that I have purchased a lifetime rotation, balance, plan from my local tire shop. The first time that they torqued them to 150, I was just livid thinking that they probably damaged something. Then I found the service bulletin saying that they were supposed to be 150. Since every Expedition for years has had the larger lug, you would think that Ford could get their owner's manual changed from 100!
  • jim_42jim_42 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2001 Expedition. Any help would be appreciated. I am having some problems removing the subwoofer to check it, I guess I need to remove the whole enclosure. I have been looking for an overload reset, but have not found one.
  • jeff658jeff658 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 expedition with 30,000 miles.
    I just started to here a "clank" from the front end when i turn the wheel during parking.
    I did a search and did not find anything.
    Could it be the ball joints... is there a inherent problem?
    thanks
    Jeff
  • wkgmomof3wkgmomof3 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Expedition with 25,000 miles on it. Brake service shop (that I trust) is telling me I need new front rotors already which, they say, is highly unusual. I'm taking it back to Ford, as perhaps the rotors were faulty. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • jim_42jim_42 Member Posts: 2
    I've diagnosed my same problem to be a bad amp. I have power and signal going into the amp, but, no signal coming out. My subwoofer seems to be ok. Checked the resistance on it, and tested with an alternate input. I'm not sure where to find a replacement amp, my guess is a salvage yard.
  • hougasianhougasian Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 expedition XLT with the same parking brake problem, the pedal goes to the floor but
    the brakes do hold, can not find an adjustment
    at all on brake cable.
    I carry a "Gorilla Wrench" lug wrench, it'a an L-shaped wrench w/long extendable handle and 2 heavy-duty sockets. Gets more leverage than a 4-way cross wrench- I've yet to find a lugnut it won't remove. Avail. at many auto & marine parts stores and online.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Rear discs? If so, then you need to take it to a dealer and have it adjusted correctly. No offense, but there is a special procdure and tool required to replace pads on these and if you botch it not only won't have a parking brak but the mechanism won't self-adjust which is a safety issue.
  • marchtimemarchtime Member Posts: 11
    In message 842 I stated my Expedition whine/vibration, and that Ford acknowledged a problem and was working on it. The answer was to change out the diff. bearings. In my case, they replaced the rear end with a new rear end with heavy bearings, and that solved the problem. I also later replaced the continentals with Michelin SUV tires and it drives like a different animal. I now love it and intend to never drive anything else.