Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• gunfghtr13gunfghtr13 Member Posts: 9
    I have contacted Nifty Products about a liner and mats as I have referenced here before. They still have not given me an answer but keep telling to call back. I believe they have the best liner and mats for the vehicle if they ever make them !! The Xtreme is a great liner, and I am not sure if the one that fits the Explorer/Mountaineer will work. As far as the Nav question from above goes, you should be able to check to make sure you have the newest edition by going to their website at www.navtech.com. If anyone has another Forum location that is more active for the Aviator please let me know .. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to try Lincoln Aviator Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion.

As a rule we don't discuss other forums on the Town Hall boards.

tidester, host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    This same phenomenon has occurred twice on my Navigator. A restart resets the error message, and it seems ok. I'm not worried about it. But the traction control does activate slowing the car when this happens, so it feels "funny". Both times, it was shortly after start up and the warning stayed on until I restarted the car. Unless it stays on, I think it's not a problem. All of these fancy electronic functions can experience a "blip", but not be permanently faulted.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    happened once (03 Navigator).. "fixed" itself after a restart.. don't know why it happened either.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    My only concern about it happening 'alot in cold weather' is that cold weather (i.e. icy, slippery roads) is when it would make sense to take full use of advance trac. And if thats when it decides to error out, then it sorta defeats the purpose to have advance trac. There's got to be a better reason for the error to show up. I do worry about it...especially since its happening in a car that I paid over 45k for.
    Check out flatratetech.com and ask around about that advance trac issue. Ford techs use that site quite a bit and they might be able to shed more light on the problem. They've helped me a couple of times already.

Good luck!
  • avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    OK, now I am upset. Our first snow and the advance trac is turning itself off and on. The restart did "reset" it, but it is NOT comforting to rely on a stupid warning message! Just because the "warning" resets doesn't convince me that the system is working.

gteach26, once you go to flatratetech.com then what do you do? I can't find anything that looks appropriate.

BTW, to all thinking of buying an aviator, DON'T. My seat is loose again, I still have the rear end howl, I still have the intermittent moan from the back end, the back hatch window squeaks when it is warm, I still hear the tin lid squeak when I corner, I still hear the growl from the hood occasionally, and now an advance trac issue! Don't let the good looks and nice ride fool you.
    2003, 7680 miles.
    Avfan.. It sounds like you're not a happy camper... and from the sounds of it I don't think that the Aviator is going to cut it for you.. Be careful though because the drivers in the Aviator competitor's forums (Lexus, BMW, Volks, etc..)have had plenty of issues with their mid-size suv's as well!

Over at flatratetech go to the message forums (you gotta scroll down a bit to find them -- they're in the center of the page) and leave a message for the techs. That advance trac warning shouldn't be coming on and off and it should get looked at.

Bottom line though, if it's happening often enough and the service tech at your dealer see's it happen then they can fix it for you.

I know it must stink to pay lots of $$ to have headaches...Good luck!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Don't buy avfan2's aviator. The rest are just fine.
    I warned y'all about the seat track thing. They ALL do it, including the explorers and Mountaineers too. You just have to get used to it. If that's going to continually tick you off, it's not the car for you. And that may be, I had one once that drove me silly that way. You just have to move on. They can't fix it.
  • avi_driveravi_driver Member Posts: 15
    It is unfortunate that you are having all of these problems with your Aviator. But just because yours has all of these continuous problems doesn't mean that they are all that way. I don't have any problems and am very happy with my Aviator which I have had for about 8 months. It is by far one of the best SUV's I have ever driven and I have driven quite a few. I fully recommend the Aviator to anyone interested. As for Avfan2's problems with it...I am sorry he is having all of these difficulties and these out of all of those vehicles produced, there tends to be a few that slip. It is the case with every automobile. You can consider it a matter of luck. But in my opinion, the Aviator is one of the best trucks out there and I love it.
  • wantaviatorwantaviator Member Posts: 4
    I've seen alot of talk about the rear whine problem. Is this only in the 2003's?
  • jmez44jmez44 Member Posts: 26
    My 2003 Aviator doesn't have the loose seat or the real axel whine thing. It has almost 4k miles on it. I guess some are production duds, while others are not? Mine was a late issue 2003, maybe they corrected it mid-production?
    nvbanker,
    if they ALL have the seat problem, then why doesn't jmez44?

jmez44,
    my build date was 7/03, I don't consider that early, is it?
    I don't know! Maybe he doesn't consider a small shift in the seat loose, maybe his doesn't do it. But ours does, not that we care. Don't really notice it. I had one that rocked once, now THAT bothered me, but I even had the dealer swap out the seat. No different.
  • cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    2004 Aviator brochure says 4X2 only tows 3500 pounds, Edmunds specs same thing, Lincoln.com same thing. Dealer says that it tows 7200 with class three hitch (100 pounds more than AWD). But that is not documented anywhere except in some info he reads to me over the phone. He says that RWD Aviator only tows 3500 with Class II hitch and that brochures, etc. need to be updated..... What is the truth? I dont need AWD here in South Louisiana, in fact most dealers dont even stock it here.
    It's possible that a class III hitch could get it up to 7200 but if it's not printed anywhere just call Lincoln and find out. Don't believe anything the dealer tells you unless you can independently verify it. They lie.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    jmez44 has the defective seat, the rest are normal. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I wish it were true, explorer4, but I have one of those defective seats too. I just don't care.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    i had the tracks(or whatever they do) in my '02 explorer replaced for the same reason(rocking). a couple of weeks later, it was back.
    kind of like when the b-52's used to fly over our neighborhood on their landing apporoach(at least it wasn't the bombing approach!). didn't even notice after a while.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My story EXACTLY, ex.....
    was totally unaware of the Lincoln Aviator. I must have totally missed any marketing campaigns or commercials for it and I like to think I'm up on everything. Or maybe it's just the fact that I have been in the "Anything American built is crap" camp.

I'm in my mid-30's and divorced with no kids, so I think I am one of those people that have arrived in Lincoln show rooms for the first time due to the lure of the Aviator. Lincoln clams that many folks my age that are typically looking for foreign luxury products in the mid-price range are showing up on their lots for the first time.

Since having two mustangs in my teens and early 20’s, I have steered clear of American products. I have owned a Mitsubishi, Toyota, Nissan and two Honda’s.

The vehicles that I have been looking at have been the VW Touareg, Toyota Sequoia, Pathfinder Armada, Infiniti QX56, Dodge Durango, Acura MDX, BMW X5

Quick thumbnails on each…

1. The Touareg has been my first choice for awhile but after reading several forums and all the MAJOR issues, I have just about eliminated this vehicle. I like the size of it, the interior is awesome and I like the fact that it can tow my 18-foot Champion Bass Boat… plus, there aren’t too many of them out there like other vehicles.

2. Toyota Sequoia…. The rock steady vehicle that I have been eying for awhile. Several issues.. the interior is not cheap but it’s not flashy either. It can be made to look better with some wood but still not spectacular… the design of the truck is old and will be totally redesigned for 2005. I want to buy now and I don’t want to be miserable when the all new version arrives in the fall. So, it’s off the list.

2. Pathfinder Armada.. The styling is kinda weird looking but in the right color it grows on you but I worry about Nissan Quality. I went and test drove one last week and it is without a doubt the worst vehicle in regards to interior on the market. There is more cheap plastic in this behemoth than you can imagine. Plus it’s gigantic. I don’t have kids, don’t need to haul a whole lot and it is overkill for my boat.

3. Infiniti QX56… comes out next month, looks a lot better on the exterior and interior in the brochure but not sure if it’s worth 51k plus.

4. Dodge Durango… thought I’d go check it out just to see if I might feel different about it after driving it. I think it was a total rush job by their designers. It looks like two vehicles were put in a trash compactor and joined together. Interior isn’t too bad but the exterior is lame……..plus it’s a Dodge..

5. Buick Rainier… Not a bad vehicle but nothing about it calls out to you. Nothing bold about it, nothing awe inspiring.

6.. Acura MDX… too vanilla for me…
    7. BMW X5 4.4… pricey and doesn’t excite me.

So, earlier in the week I am at a red-light and this beautiful white SUV pulls on the side of me and I’m like, “Wow”. Yes, it’s an Aviator and I’m like… damn, I need to find out more about that vehicle. Did some digging here on Edmunds, went and test drove it this morning and I think it’s what I am going to go with.

Looking to get a Ultimate 4X2 in ceramic white with the parchment interior… Advance trac, 17-inch chrome wheels, Class III towing (If I can definitively find out that the RWD tows 7,200 pounds).. ;) priced one out and it came to 39,400 from my dealer with the $3000.00 incentive.
    You'll love it. 300 hp in a mid size SUV makes it pretty quick.
    It's the best driving SUV in the class, IMO.
    I consider myself pretty picky about things. But I am telling you the truth, my seat doesn't move at all. What kind of moving/rocking are you guys referring to? Back and forth? Side to side? Or literally, off tracks? Man if that happened to my seat I think i'd flip out. I weigh 175lbs, maybe that has something to do with it not moving for me?

Avfan - i considered mine a late issue because it came with the newer chrome rims. The other few on the lot at the time (September '03) did not have those. How do i find out the production date of mine, so we can compare?
    Usual seat track movement is front to back, notable upon acceleration and braking. Frankly, I don't even notice it. My wife does. But I ignore her because I don't think its worth beefing about :)

Open your car door, there's a manufacturer sticker in the jam or on the door jam that will give you a build month/year date on the top somewhere, like 03/03.
    The RWD Aviator can only tow 3,500 pounds with a class II hitch. My dealer faxed me over a sheet that shows that the RWD with a class III hitch can tow 7,300 (200 more than the AWD). However, that vehicle is on hold until April 5. When my dealer goes into the computer to configure an Aviator Ultimate RWD with the class III hitch a note pops up on the screen (on hold until 4/5). Evidently there is a new rear end (dealer says axle) that will show up in those new versions. I am going to wait.
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    my 2003 aviator advance track has turned off about 10 times in my 1st 2400 miles. Then it feels like the abs lock up. Has been to hempstead lincoln in NY 3 times. They are not helpfull, at all. Said they had no problem with it. Did 90 miles on my aviator the 3time, and did not put gas back in my suv. Told them i bought the suv because it is very safe. I dont wnat my 2 kids in the car when the breaks lock up when advance track goes off. It says check advance track.
    Could that be the fix for the axle whine? Let me check with my contacts again.
    So, evidently, the rear axle howl that has afflicted some Aviators, has now been identifed, and new components are in the works. Meaning, no more howling units produced, and replacement parts on the way for dealers, and hopefully, a TSB will be issued soon.
    So take it to another dealer. Probably just a sensor.
    Do any of you remember where the incentives maxed out on the Aviator in 2003? The current incentive on the 2004's is 3,000 and I am curious if they ever went to four or five on the 03's last year and in what months did that happen?

The current $3,000 incentive ends on March 31.

If I have to wait until April to get a RWD Ultimate with the class III trailer hitch, I'm thinking I might also be in luck with a bigger incentive from Ford Motor Company. ;)
    I got $5K off in November and I think there was an extra $1K if you financed with FMC. That's as high as they got around here, but it varies by geographic region. Some may have gotten $6K.

I don't expect it to get that high again but you never know.
    I found the production date and it was 6/03. So i guess mine wasn't a late 2003. In either case, it still doesn't have the whine or seat issue. It does have the advance trac warning issue/abs brakes thing.

I really like the truck. I was thinking about the Hummer first, even before the lease prices for them went down (currently like 600 a month now). But you get more options in the Aviator for the same price, not to mention more practical.

My 2003 Aviator had 920 miles on it when i picked it up new from the dealer. It was a Golf Show car lent out to an LPGA professional to have for a few weeks. The MSRP on it was $53,135. I got a $7000 rebate, and an additional $5000 because it had miles on it. I put about 2k down and leased it at $39,000 (3%). I pay $497/month =).
    Next time it faults, don't turn it off, and take it into the dealer with the fault message still one. They can then more easily download an error code and diagnose it. If they drove it 90 miles, at least they were attempting to get it to fault. IT would be nice if they replaced the gas, but I know of no dealer who will.

I had to leave a Continental with a service manager for about 2 weeks so that he could find a "funny noise" it made for me. He used it as his daily driver until it did it, and then he indeed found the problem.

In a perfect world, mechanics could find everything our machines do and fix them, but it's just not that easy, and the world just isn't that perfect.
    And neither are our cars, sadly.
    The chrome wheels were an $800 option that you had to purchase to get the $300 tire pressure monitoring system. The 03 Aviators without the chrome wheels didn't have the TPMS. The 04's were to have the TPMS standard and you didn't have to purchase the chrome wheels if you didn't want to.

By the way, the TPMS does work very well.
    From what I understand the NHTSA mandated direct pressure monitors that tend to give false alarms in very cold weather. The industry wanted to use the cheaper indirect monitors that don't suffer the same problem but the NHTSA wouldn't let them. So now we have more expensive systems that don't work as well. What else would you expect from a government agency.
    You are right, it was an $795 option on my truck. I just didn't see any other 2003's with them on the lot, only the 2004s. So i assumed it was an option only on the 2004s or late availabilty on the 2003s. And here i thought mine was "special" or "late production" I guess neither =( LOL.

Oh yeah, and that tire pressure gauge works well. It picked it up right away with the cold weather we have been experiencing in the East these days.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I can verify that the tire pressure monitoring system does give false readings in very cold weather, which we have had in abundance in the Northeast. Once the tires warm up, the warning abates.
  • clarksalmoclarksalmo Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2004 Aviator on January 19. On the 23rd, I took a road trip from Colorado to Montana. At 540 miles the transmission went out. The dealer up there said there was a ton of metal in the pan. So, here I was 500 miles from home and no car. Lincoln is not interested in helping me at all.
    Their help line is a complete joke. I am basically on my own with the rental since there is a 500 dollar cap on rentals, which since I had to drive it back to Colorado, I am going to be well above. Also, when the tranny went, I called the help line for a tow and was told I was on my own. After driving Fords for 25 years, I am very disappointed in the customer service. It looks like I paid almost 50000 for this car and Ford could care less.
    That's a real shame about the failed transmission, and I'd be angry too. I am shocked though about the rental, and about the hot line. I've used the hotline before, and they're been excellent, and I've also never had to pay for a rental. I wouldn't stand for it, you need to keep calling until you get to Bill Ford if necessary. Lincoln has always stood up for me, I don't understand what's changed.
    Ultimate RWD
    Tricoat white
    parchment interior
    advance trac
    17 inch chrome wheels
    Class III towing package

Lincoln has a hold on the RWD with Class III hitch until April 5 (new rear end/axle), so I got mine in the system so that I be in line. None of the dealers in Louisiana stock the AWD, it's not a need down here in the south. The way several dealers have made it sound is that I will be one of the absolute first to get a RWD with the full 7,300 pound towing capacity (class III) and the Active Trac...

One question, How come I have only seen one Aviator on three Lincoln dealer lots with the 17 inch chrome wheels? Are they not attractive to some folks or is it just too costly of an option… opinions?

I'm going to be dying for three months waiting for this baby to come in.. :(
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Congrats! You're gonna love it.

I saw one in the tri-coat white and it's gorgeous. It's too bad to have to wait 2 months, but with the new rear drive train you shouldn't have to worry about the whine.

I ordered my LS in Dec of 2000 and waited almost 2 months to get it. It's worth the wait.

Enjoy that aviator.
  • mikejhvacnvmikejhvacnv Member Posts: 7
    Around 75mph vibration occurs in steering wheel. Took it in and they rebalanced, but still some vibration sometimes. I have 03 with 2600 miles. Yes seat klunks a little, no axle whine. Mine is awd. Do you think they change oil at 3000 miles?
    Mike; I had the very same thing on my 03 Navigator with the 75 mph wheel shake. Rotating the tires fixed it, so evidently I had an imperfect tire up front. Smooth as a baby's behind now. The Rack & Pinion steering is far more sensitive to the road and gives you a lot of feel for the road. Unfortunately, it also delivers plenty of "tire" feel to your steering wheel as well. So if your tires are exactly true, you'll know it.

They like to have YOU change the oil at 3000 miles. But when they're paying for it, they like to do it at 5000 mile intervals. Hypocracy, eh? I find it interesting. But 5000 works for me anyway.
    Ultimate RWD
    Tricoat white
    parchment interior
    advance trac
    17 inch chrome wheels
    Class III towing package

Lincoln has a hold on the RWD with Class III hitch until April 5 (new rear end/axle), so I got mine in the system so that I be in line. None of the dealers in Louisiana stock the AWD, it's not a need down here in the south. The way several dealers have made it sound is that I will be one of the absolute first to get a RWD with the full 7,300 pound towing capacity (class III) and the Active Trac...

One question, How come I have only seen one Aviator on three Lincoln dealer lots with the 17 inch chrome wheels? Are they not attractive to some folks or is it just too costly of an option… opinions?

I'm going to be dying for three months waiting for this baby to come in.. :(
  • mikejhvacnvmikejhvacnv Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for info I will rotate front to back. Took me a long time to log in to site but enjoy. Went sking in Brianhead Ut. and AWD worked great in snow banks and on slick roads. Can not wait to try out ac in our 120 heat in Vegas hope it works good. Love our heated seats on our cold mornings.
    I live in Vegas too, Mike. You'll love the A/C. It's one of Ford's strong suits. With the exception of the Town Car, where they forgot to install the blower, there's nothing like Ford factory air!
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    Got our new, '04 Light French Silk Aviator AWD Ultimate today (w/parchment). Every conceivable option: 2nd row Bench Seat, Moonroof, Class III Trailer Tow Package, Navigation System, AdvancTrac (w/Roll Stability Control), Chrome Wheels, Roof Rail Crossbars, and DVD Rear Entertainment System. Stickered at $53,700, but purchased through X-Plan at $47,300 at 0% for 60 months, and included $2500 of dealer cash.

French Silk wasn't my first choice of color (4th actually), but I really didn't want to wait for an ordered vehicle to arrive. Had I ordered, I would have passed on the Entertainment system and maybe even the moonroof, but we wanted to get rid of our '00 Mazda MPV ASAP. No drones/moans or whines from the rear (drove extensively before purchase, and 25 miles after purchase varying speeds between 50 and 60 mph). HVAC system and heated/cooled seats also tested extensively over the full range of operation before purchase -- everything OK. In and out of the dealer in about 2.5 hours.

We're now a 2 Lincoln household.
    Chris - welcome to the club! Why the 2nd row bench? The 2nd row buckets was one of the main attractions for us.