Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    There is either a TSB and/or an Oasis bulletin on this exact problem. Have them search for it and explain why it doesn't apply to your vehicle. And by all means talk to the owner. If you still can't get it done, find another dealer.
  • mikejhvacnvmikejhvacnv Member Posts: 7
    has anyone checked there spare wheel, not tire and checked to see if it matches the ones on outside of vechicle?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Oh, I'm pretty sure it doesn't match aesthically, if that's what you mean. Ford hasn't given anybody 5 nice rims ever, that I can remember. If you're talking bolt pattern, no, haven't checked.
    Careful there. My 2000 LS has a matching 17" super silver spare wheel. They were discontinued either later in 1999 or early 2000, but it was there at the beginning.
    Good to hear, akirby. Personally, I have not had 5 matching rims, and it doesn't bother me much either. I would be nice, but not necessary. They can put a donut in for all I care, they work fine when I need them, which is very rarely.
  • avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    I finally drove my Aviator 100 miles to my dealership to work on the list of noises that I had?see my post #1022?.the rear axle whine, the rear hatch styrofoam squeak, the grinding noise from the engine compartment, the loose seat, etc. I had discussed all the noises during my 10K service on 3/26 and brought the Aviator back to them 4/3.

When I arrived on 4/3, I was told that there is no fix for the seat problem. I had the tracks/rails replaced in November at the 5K service and the seat remained tight for about 30 days. I was now being told that all of the seats are loose if you have the seat close and perhaps I should try moving the seat back farther. To me this is really not an option because even if you can move the pedals you still need to reach the steering wheel!

They had the vehicle from 4/3 until 4/17 and they gave me their loaner Mercury Sable to drive.

The Sable?s accelerator pedal cable broke on my way to work 4/12, leaving me dead in a busy intersection. The Sable was towed to a Ford dealer about 30 miles away and I rented another car from Budget. Yesterday, I turned in the Budget car, got a ride to pick up the Sable, and drove the Sable 100 miles back to the Lincoln.

I missed my Aviator and was glad to be finally getting it back. The mechanic assured me that I would love my new quiet ride. I got in, started the engine and heard the grinding noise from the engine compartment. I went back into the dealership and spoke with the mechanic. He said that replacing the AC compressor usually gets rid of the noise and that it is just the reeds in the compressor making the noise. I said that I would not leave the Aviator now, but would bring it back another time. I drove off.

About a block from the dealership, these weird (new) noises started, the steering got stiff, the vehicle started pulling to one side, and the engine was sounding and behaving strangely. I was terrified! I turned on my flashers, bravely made a u-turn, and headed back to the dealership. I really did not think the vehicle would make it back, but it did.

The mechanic took it for a drive, then another mechanic joined him?The service rep. told me that the transfer case had IMPLODED and that the mechanic put the differential back together too tightly. They would have to keep the Aviator and order parts on Monday.

So I have this beautiful car that is totally trashed that I could never sell! Who is going to buy a car with loose seats, with an AC compressor that sounds like the engine is going to fall out, that has had the rear diff rebuilt, AND the transfer case rebuilt after a dealer-caused implosion! Any advice would be appreciated.
    I also forgot to mention that the service rep said that he would top off my tank for free if I mailed the blank customer service survey from my November 5K visit to his home!
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    That's how I was after reading your posts avfan2. I still can't think of what to say. I'm trying to think of what I might do if that happened to me but....

I'm just speechless.

Sorry.
    The Lincoln hotline and a new dealer come to mind.
  • wblake99wblake99 Member Posts: 18
    My 2002.5 Mountaineer with the Luxury package (17" wheels) had a matching spare setup under it. I say had because it is on the ground now since I've been doing 5 wheel rotations per the owners manual.
    Why did you go to that particular dealer 100 miles away?
    That is the only Lincoln dealership in the largest city in my state. There are other dealerships 65 and 175 miles away, but they are in much smaller towns and it is easier (interstate) to get to the dealership that is 100 miles away-especially in the winter.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I live in NW PA & the number of Lincoln Dealerships around where I live are nill and very inconvenient. I have found that the local, Ford-only or Ford/Mercury service centers may actually take better care/spend more time on your vehicle than the larger 'get 'em through the doors asap' mega dealerships.

They will honor your warranty and should do just as well on a repair. What have you to lose - this dealership really botched up. I wouldn't go back - ever.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Ford will issue a safety recall: 04B15 on Explorer, Mountaineer or Lincoln Aviator models built in St. Louis Assembly Plant (SLAP) from March 29th 2004 thru April 14 2004.

This pertains to the rear axle and an improper mix of axle lubricant that causes a noise/vibration.
  • cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    Hold on,.... are you suggesting that my new Aviator that was just built a few weeks ago and is in transit to my dealer for me to purchase is already being recalled? What the F........
    Check the plant, and build dates once you receive your vehicle. But if it's currently in transit, it has already been detected and fixed so don't worry about it.
    and you'll love the truck :)
  • hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    I was supposed to receive my truck on 4/15. I called the dealer and asked for the build date in lieu of the recall. The build date he said was between 4/5 and 4/7. So is the delay due to the fact that this problem has been fixed?

Thanks.
    Could have been, if they caught the vehicle before it was shipped, then the issue was resolved. If it GETS to the dealership though, then they'll fix it there before they let you have it. I believe there's a "stop sale, stop delivery" for the vehicles affected. Might not even let them be test driven either.

IN TOTAL, when YOU receive it, chances are it was already caught and rectified, IF yours was one of the affected vehicles.
  • geniahogeniaho Member Posts: 15
    The first Aviators came out with the chintzie tab rear view mirrors and I saw a 03 Aviator just recently with a proper electronic mirror.
    My question is, can we just order that mirror as a spare part and does it install into the electrics without additional wiring problems? The one I have has a sort of a black box behind the mirror with wires leading to it.
    Possibly someone has made a change and could advise me.
    My Kitty Hawk has not had any problems as those that some of you are having and thats to bad because it's just a dream to drive when all is going well. Geniaho
    That auto dimming mirror was part of the Navigation package (although I have no idea why).
    and the box behind it, is your compass......
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    It's good to know that there are "some" dealers out there willing to order a vehicle. (See my previous post #1325) Maybe it's the state in which you live. Good luck, keep us informed on delivery. By the way, I've given up. Started to look at the Cadillac SRX's
  • 330junkie330junkie Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if a nav system from a 2003-04 navigator will fit a 2003 aviator. My dealer says that they are different part numbers so therefore they are not interchangeable, but one local stereo shop claims that they could be not sure. I need certainty before purchasing one from ebay. thank you
  • keefiekeefie Member Posts: 4
    Generally I love my Aviator. It is a great car on the road.

There is one mystery however. Ocassionally water runs out of the center console on the front passenger side. It comes out where the top portion of the console meets the bottom portion at the forward end or on the right hand end if you are facing the console.

Anyone have an idea?
    Ok let me picture this, are you talking about in the footwell area? Where the upper console meets the bottom (possible center tunnel, or side kick plates) ?
  • jacebeck1jacebeck1 Member Posts: 17
    I am curious what the consensus of this group is on the following question:

Is it a conflict of interest to have a Ford dealership owner as one of four voting members of a Dispute Settlement Board arbitration hearing regarding the buyback of a Lincoln/Mercury vehicle?

Please vote with a yes or no.
    Had the differential replaced and the whine is gone now.
  • cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    I find out today excactly where in the hell my Aviator is and about when I can expect it. If I dont like the answers I am going to spend the extra cash and get the Lexus GX470.... which I dont like near as much as the Aviator but I have my car sold and I dont think the young guy that has agreed to purchase my Honda S2000 wants to wait much longer. It's beautiful outside and he is ready to take the top down.
    From what I've been reading here, it doesn't seem like any of us (cangelo, cajun_mike or I)are having a lot of luck ordering a vehicle! I don't know if any FOMOCO guys monitor this site but I certainly would be interested in finding out why it is that nobody wanted to take my money! Certainly, I could understand a reluctance to take a factory order if it were "late" in the model year, but March or April???? More here than meets the eye, I suppose.
  • mikejhvacnvmikejhvacnv Member Posts: 7
    I have recieved some answers but wonder if any one else has vibration of steering wheel shake at 65 to 75 on hiway? Also my spare wheel is not the chrome one that is on the other 4 wheels. Service advisor in Vegas said navigator had this problem and fix was found but not yet on Aviator. Please help my wrists are worn out on hiway, they indexed wheels but did not help. What should I do?
  • cangelocangelo Member Posts: 19
    I just wanted to let you know I picked the Aviator on 4/9 it come in on the 7 of April but was about 8/10 days late See post 1333 for details If someone is looking for Aviators, in the Cleveland Market they are plentiful but have sold out in some of the other markets. I am very pleased with the vehicle. I did my homework when looking for a new SUV and I find over all this SUV is in the top 10% range. You can buy out of your area they just use your zip code for pricing and rebates.
    NO, It does not sound fair to me but I think 3 out 4 votes is considered the majority. Or due all 4 votes have to be the same to agree on a buy back. In your state due you know how the voting works.
    Sure sounds like a bad tire, or even more unlikely, bent wheel(s) to me. The Rack & Pinion steering is extremely sensitive to the road, and thereby also, any imperfection in the tires. While it is unlikely you have more than one bad tire, it is not impossible. I have one bad one that isn't perfectly round, and if it's on the front, I get that vibration. On the rear, smooth as glass.........
    probably a bad tire or wheel. Find a dealer or tire store that has a Hunter road force balancer. The tires may need to be reindexed to the wheel or even swapped. Could also be a bad tire. Rotate front to back and see if problem changes - if so you've narrowed it to 2 tires/wheels. If not it may be a suspension problem (or 4 bad tires/wheels).
  • jacebeck1jacebeck1 Member Posts: 17
    The DSB is made up of a dealer representative (happens to be an owner here) and three consumers, though one of them in this case is currently employed as a Ford dealer tech. As you can imagine, the dealer and the tech voted, in my case for no buyback and the remaining two consumers voted for a buyback. None of the conflicts of interest were disclosed. The DSB deadlocked (how can you have an even number of voting members on an arbitration board???)until one of the female consumers was browbeaten into giving up. The whole process is best described as a farce. The deliberations, which you are allowed to sit in on, had nothing to do with the issues, facts or merits of the case. Skip the DSB step and simply file suit if you have an unresolvable problem, it'll save you a lot of time and anxiety.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From your description, the DSB sounds like a farce to me. I hope it wasn't binding!

Steve, Host
    The answer to your question is yes. The water comes out of the center console where the top and bottom meet. The front passenger's feet are below.

This problem occurs infrequently. There is no pattern. It is a mystery.
    First senario.... do this, after a long drive(maybe 20-30 of rush hour commute) with the A/C running (or after a heavy rainfall) drive a bit and do some tight turns, if you feel the water dripping even more....Then it's the A/C drain/drip pan and it's plugged which is why this is occuring.

There's a HUGE chance this is exactly what's causing it. I had this similar issue with a MustangGT, and after a few turns my feet (or passenger, depending how I turned) would get wet. I later found out the leaves/soot blocked the drain holes around the upper firewall area.

Second senario would be, that there's a bit of hot humidity in the air and the air intake vents under the dash are sweating because of the clash of temperature.

Let me know what you find out...
    I picked up my ordered Aviator on Friday...I noticed that there are channels that look like its for a privacy shade. Was it supposed to come with one? I want to get one but I can't find it on lincolnaccessories.com.

Does anybody else have one? Where did you get it?

Thanks,
    Sonny

PS. According to the DVD manufacturer (www.autovisiononline.com), the unit is supposed to come with a wireless remote. I didn't get one...should I have? Also the light that luminates the controls on the DVD player flash...is that supposed to be like that?
    Lincoln doesn't offer one. The holes are there from the Explorer and Mountaineer and the shades for them should fit. Not sure about the color match, though.
    Thanks...it looks like the Explorer/Mountaineer has it in Med Dark Parchment...I have the Ligh Parchment interior so it might not look that bad...plus its in the trunk so i'm not too too concerned about it. When I go back to the dealer I'll inquire about it.

Also....I am having problems getting the remote starter keyfob to be associated with a memory location. I followed the directions but the seats/mirrors don't move when I use it. Anybody have any idea? Can I not use this feature with the remote start?

Thanks.
    Does the remote starter keyfob also unlock the doors? If so it should work with the memory. After using the keyfob button (but before putting it in Drive) hit the memory button you think it's programmed for. If the seat or mirrors move then it's not linked. If they don't then it is setting it correctly. On mine I thought it wasn't working either but it turns out both memory positions (mine and my wife's) are very similar.
    Well, now I know that someone really was able to order a unit and get delivery (see my 1325 and 1328).

When did you put in the original order? Did you need to fight the dealer to write the order, or was it a nice, professional business deal like it used to be?

Re: the cargo cover, I seem to remember something about the roller cover as "not available" with the 3rd seat. But other than that, I presumed it came standard. But I guess I was incorrect.
    I will check again on the keyfob. Yes, they do open the doors. They did a good job installing it. I read that some places screw up the electrical harness...the keypad doesn't work or the liftgate doesn't open from the keyfob afterwards...but everything is in working order.

I ordered mine on Feb 29. The dealer actually had an electrical fire the night before so their computers were down. I was able to locate the vehicle the day before when I was negotiation with another dealer...but when the computers came back up the vehicle was gone so they ordered it...my wife was very picky on the color...mineral grey.

It was a good experience until the very end...

-sonny
    Thank you for the response. My thought is that the drain is blocked although this car had only about 15,000 miles when the problem first occurred. I am checking it regularly and will take it back to the dealer at the next sign of water.
    I'm guessing it's that as well. That issue can happen at 1000miles, or (40K miles in my Mustang at that time). And it was 2 years worth of debris/leaves, etc that clogged it. There's also a goo-ey substance that can clog it to, which is composed of regular rain water, evaporation, sweat of plastics/metals.

Mention it to them, it should be covered under warranty.
    Hi Sonny The DVD remote and the head phones will be mailed to the dealer by the manufacture of those units in about a week or two. Also have you stopped the light on the DVD. When you receive your remote/head phones you will also get a guide on the units that will explain in a little more detail on the functions of all above.Were does the sun shade go? Did you buy the shade? Does it fit? and look good? I also have lite parchment interior am interested.
                                    Carmen
    Carmen,

Thanks for replying...I have a few more accessories coming in soon and I'll make sure I get the remote then too.

If you look in the trunk you'll see cut outs in the side panel on each side. My brother-in-law has a jeep which has the sun shade and I figured that's what its for. When I go back to the dealer to pick my stuff up I'll ask to see a Mountaineer Sun Shade...it retails for about $100 and it comes in Medium Dark Parchment. I'm surprised Lincoln doesn't have this accessory.
    The rear seats in the Aviator are standard and would interfere with the shade - I'm sure that's why it's not offered. On the Explorer and Mountaineer the rear seats are optional, so a rear shade is offered. That's my guess anyway.