Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Take it to another dealer.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree with akiby. A good dealer will try another control panel, or base unit, whichever it needs.
  • csmaviatorcsmaviator Member Posts: 1
    Steering shudder w/ left turn. 2004 aviator, started one mnth after buying, dealer has serviced (fluid additive, changed gears, changed rack) still same problem. Has anyone "cured" this steering vibration/shudder?
    Mine was happening with any low spped turns under 20MPH!

Any known TSB's?
    Yep.

Make : LINCOLN Model : AVIATOR Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    Service Bulletin Num : 0566 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number: 10017902
    Component: STEERING
    Summary:
    LOW SPEED STEERING SHUDDER DURING LOW-SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS. *TT
  • aviatorgirlaviatorgirl Member Posts: 7
    :confuse: I own a 2004 Aviator and fell in love w/ the all chrome Grille on a 2005 , would that fit on a 2004?
    It should - I don't think they changed the underlying structure.
  • waltvatorwaltvator Member Posts: 9
    I felt the same about the chrome on the 2005. I purchased one for my 2004. It fits perfect and was a breeze to replace.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I just opened a new forum on the "Lincoln MKX", which is the new name the new generation "Aviator" will adopt.
  • keb2keb2 Member Posts: 1
    Isn't the name a little bit too much like the MDX? They certainly could have come up with something different.
    I thought the same thing at first, but then I realized that BMW has the M3 and M5 and Infiniti has the M35 and M45. I've never heard anyone get them confused or complain about it.
    Supposedly the name cleared the legal copyright aspect of naming.

If you study some of the other manufacturer's, their naming can be easily confused with anothers. Like my Lincoln LS, isn't far off from Lexus LS430. Volvo's S40 could be confused with Audi S4. Luckily Mazda added it's name to 3, if not it might be confused with BMW 3-series, which the 330, could be confused with Lexcus ES300, which grows to about 330 soon or possible 350, not to be confused with Infiniti G35, or MB's, G500, or E350 which is a jump away from Lexus by just one letter, the "S".

While Acura has 3 letters MDX, TSX, future RDX, similar to Cadillacs XLR, DTS, STS, CTS, etc. At least Saab has nomeclature which is a bit different than the above, 9-3, 9-5, where the 3-5 really means the "0"s the name originally had. Remember's Saturns, L-series, which at first was LS, which was a reversal of SL and luckily went to words...Vue, Ion, etc.

Ahhhh
    Can i ask how much did you pay for that and did you get it from the dealership?
    I purchased it form the dealership for $163.00 plus tax. However, I was quoted as much as $196.00 from the same dealership and as high as $225.00 from another. Point being, prices can vary by whomever answers the phone. I google searched and found it as low as $141.00 from an internet website, but shipping made it equal. The key is having the part number 5C528200AA and calling different dealers in your area.
  • scottva22scottva22 Member Posts: 26
    I am considering buying a loaded '04 Aviator from a dealer with 20K miles on it. It has both Nav & DVD System. They want $28K for it. After reading this forum I may go back to my original thought of buying the Explorer Limited or fully loaded Mountaineer. Seems like the Aviator has a lot of problems. Any thoughts?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    if you are expecting to get a new limited or mountaineer that has the same features as an '04 aviator, that would be a stretch. is that what you mean?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Thanks, I just ordered one from the dealership. I hope it's easy for me to so b/c i refuse to pay 50 bucks for them to put it on for me.
    Great, you will not be sorry once you get it. It comes in a huge box. I left the box at the dealership and just took the grille.
    The following link is the new Lincoln MKX, which is supposedly the Aviator replacement...

Ford Media
  • kiwicatkiwicat Member Posts: 4
    See... everyone know that the Aviator(2005) does NOT come out with locking gas cap. I live in South Korea, and the gas price is soooooo expensive in this country. Besides, I'm afraid of children who might put something into the gas tank. I found this guy "thelittleguyenterprise" that sells locking gas cap on the eBay site. does anyone have experience of buying the gas cap and put it on his car? does it fit perfectly? doesn't it have any problem of fitting into the gas tank?
    EWWWWWWWWWWW, Is Lincoln nuts? It's so ugly. But i have a feeling they are going to sell so therefore no more Aviator
  • scottva22scottva22 Member Posts: 26
    exp4: Not exactly. I guess I'm wondering if the features in the '04 Aviator are worth the premium over an '05 Exp. Limited. I realize the Aviator has a tweaked V8 w/300 hp, a six speed transmission, not to mention Nav that isn't available on the Exp/Mount. I was also wondering if $28K for a loaded '04 Aviator with 20,000 miles was a good price considering the '05 is the last year of the Aviator as it is now.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    just let mr know if you get an '06 exp v8 limited for 28k.
    i'd want one too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • odysseyguy13odysseyguy13 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I had to drain some ATF out of the transmission of my '03 Aviator. Now I need to put some new fluid in. Where do I put the new fluid in at? Thanks, Chad
    Wherever the owner's manual tells you to put it, Chad.
    ;)

It's usually the dipstick tube next to the engine.
  • odysseyguy13odysseyguy13 Member Posts: 2
    The owners manual says take it to your dealer, of course. And there is no dipstick. Any other ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Transmission Traumas? discussion - those guys are always dropping their pans and should have some hints.

Steve, Host
    "The owners manual says take it to your dealer, of course. And there is no dipstick."

I checked and you are correct. Which part of "take it to the dealer" didn't you understand?

I assume this is the same as the Lincoln LS tranny which is refilled just like a manual transmission through a fill plug. The procedure to set the proper fluid level isn't trivial. Why do you need to check it?
  • daviesavidaviesavi Member Posts: 1
    Querying knowledgeable owners and moderators:

Let me start by saying that my wife LOVES this car, and I really like it also, but there is an issue that I am really upset about, and I am asking for owner's experiences...
    Since somewhere around 12000 miles, my 2004 Aviator has what I call the "trembles". Very smooth while driving but has the jitters at idle.
    I had it to the dealer before (OKC)and they said nothing could be done.
    I refused to believe that, so I took it back again.
    This time while the dealer had it, they replaced the front steering rack which was starting to make a little scraping noise, and ran many tests on the trembling while at idle syndrome.
    Once again, the service manager, and also the regional service manager who just happened to be in the area, reiterated the same message. "Nothing can be done".
    They say that all the Aviators do it, it's just a matter of time or mileage. That the motor actually develops the trembles because of increased tolerances inside the engine.
    FACT or FICTION??
    My service manager also told me that he has seen this symptom on MANY Fords, including a new Explorer that he was driving for a demo, and also the new Ford Freestyle.
    He also said that until a few years ago, he worked for GM, and the problem with the "quivers" was much worse with those vehicles.
    I am interested in hearing from anybody that their Aviator either has, or had the same jitters.

Thank you!
    I have had Fords with less than smooth idling but I don't think it's necessarily normal. I had an intermittent rough idle that was diagnosed as a bad head. Apparently it's a known problem with the DOHC 4.6L heads (they're also used on the 99-04 Cobras). Now it's doing it again so I'll have it checked again. All they need to do is check the compression on each cylinder. If they have another used one on the lot somewhere just check it and see if it's the same.
    Ok, i just got my grille in and took it home, opened the box and it was the same grille i still have. I should of checked it there but I didn't think anything of it when i gave him the part # that you gave me.
    28k is good, . my avi is a 04 w/ 20k got it for 26 w/ 3 hours of bargaining
    I'm sorry to hear that, I hope the mistake was not on my part. The number I gave you was the number that I was given by the dealership. I can assure you that I received a chrome grille. Let me know how things turn out.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    That's why you don't order by part number, you describe what you want and let the parts guy look it up.
    That's his job.
    Your part # was correct, it's the parts guy that screwed up. I even offered to show him in the showroom but he still got it all wrong. Finally got the right part after speaking w/ the parts manager. It took my brother 5 minutes to put it on and it looks really sharp ;)
    I'm glad to hear it was the dealer's mistake. I knew you would like it. Glad to help.
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    Local dealers have a few 05 leftovers that list from $48-$53,000. What should I be able to buy one of these for (no trade-in involved) after all rebates holdbacks etc etc ? Thanks
    Given the $5K customer cash rebate plus $3K in dealer cash (as reported on edmunds.com) and figuring on an additional $3500 off MSRP (to put the sales price near invoice), I'd say take $11,500 off the MSRP.
  • naomilynnenaomilynne Member Posts: 5
    1ST OFF LOVE MY AVIATOR,HOWEVER IT HAS HAD ITS PROBLEMS- 2 LEAKS AT GAS TANK,COMPUTER SENSORS, WINDOW MOTOR, REAR AIR OUT 2 TIMES,CRACK IN LIFT GATE,GRINDING NOISE WHEN AIR IS TURNED ON, AND A VERY ROUGH IDLE -ALSO HAVE THE SHAKING WHEN BREAKING? THE GRINDING I CAN LIVE WITH-CAN'T REPRODUCE WHEN AT DEALER( MY MOM HAS SAME PROBLEM WITH HER 03) THE ROUGH IDLE IS DRIVING ME NUTS. THE 2ND OF 4 TIMES IT WAS IN THEY SAID IT WAS AN ENGINE COIL AND REPLACED. THIS HAS NOT SOLVED AND 2 DAYS A WEEK I SIT FOR 15 MIN. IDLING IN PARENT PICKUP LINE AT SCHOOL AND FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO BE SICK. ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP. I'M HOPING TO KEEP ANOTHER YEAR TILL WARN T. IS UP BUT NEED PROBLEM FIXED.
    STOP SHOUTING!!!!

Have them check the engine compression. There is a known problem with that engine in the Aviators and the old Mustang Cobras with the cooling in one portion of the head. Too much heat causes the head to warp and/or the head gasket to go bad. Solution is a new head. Mine was replaced about a year ago and I'm having the same symptoms again. If it's the head again I'm going to ask for an extended warranty to cover the engine (at no extra charge) or I'm ditching it when the warranty expires.
  • aviatoradrianaviatoradrian Member Posts: 1
    Hi Walt, so unlike you the only thing I dont like about my 2005 Aviator is the grill... and I was thinking about trying to get either a jet black, or a 2004 grill to replace mine... would you be interested in doing a deal on your 2004 grill ?
    Why not just get your grille painted black?
    Adrian,

Deal, how does the price of shipping sound?
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    I have about 39k miles on my '03. I probably have about 20-30% thread left, and I think its time to get new tires.
    Also, there have been an increase in road noise through the tires. I like the OEM tires, no complaints on them, but does any one have recommendations on other tires ? Has anyone tired a different size on the same rims?
    thanks.
  • freedom9nerfreedom9ner Member Posts: 2
    I too love my Aviator. The styling in and out is one of the best in the industry.

My Aviator has an annoying rough idle. I have noticed that sometimes when the idle RPM is around 600 the idle is smoother. Typically, the idle RPM is 500 and the car has a slight shake. I often notice the passanger seat is shaking without a doubt. I also notice that the rough idle is much worse when in Drive, as opposed to idling in Park/Neutral.

I also have been noticing squeeky, harsh steering. Exactly what I was experiencing in my Lincoln LS. Which makes sense, because I believe they share the same rack and pinion assembly. Very impressive for the Aviator, not as much for the LS. The fix in the LS was a friction modifier.

One last issue to share. I have an intermitent whining rear-end. This I know I will get the dealership to fix as soon as they agknowledge. They say it is not thier. They are partly correct, I haven't been noticing it in the cold NE wheather recently.

Oh, one more note. I learned the hard way. The valve stem caps are specially designed for the tire preassure monitoring system. Using incorrect replacements may cause the valve stem to fuse to the cap. I went to check the tire preassure and broke 3 of 4 stems in half with the cap still on. Dealership replaced for free. What a pleasent surprise.
  • nccrazynccrazy Member Posts: 5
    Sorry about the false start. I too had the rough idle problem. Also hated the shift points in the tranny, didn't run like it was 300 hp. Bought a Jet Performance chip #80317 and it solved both problems. About $240 from autoanything.com. Not promising anything, but I was at point of trading mine in because of the nuisance.

I have had every problem with mine that has previously been listed on this forum. Currently the back hatch is waiting on replacement due to a split down the middle.

Anyone have the front end trembling that can't be solved by alignment or balancing?. Cups the ouside and inside of the tires. Just the latest nuisance. If I wouldn't take such a bath, it would be gone tomorrow.

Lincoln wants you to think of them in the same breath as Lexus, BMW, etc but their indifference to the customers is alarming. :lemon:
  • freedom9nerfreedom9ner Member Posts: 2
    I may have the same problem. Let me know if this is what you are talking about:

At high speed (75+ mph) the vehicle begins to shake/tremble. The steering wheel does not shake to bad (unlike an unbalanced tire). But the gas peddle (floor) begins to feel wierd from the shaking. The vehicle feels like it is about to disintegrate. I haven't brought this to the dealerships attention, but I don't expect much sympathy. At lower speeds the Aviator feels refined and smooth.
    Check the drive shaft balance.
  • nccrazynccrazy Member Posts: 5
    Might be the same thing. Overall shaking of the vehicle. After Lincoln blamed it on bad tires due to non alignment/balancing, just spent $800 on new Fortera Silent Armor's. Guess what, no difference. I have long complained about weird feelings through the accelerator, especially when hitting small bumps. Shakes more than just a little and seems to take a short time to recover. Again, Lincoln claims its normal. Imagine. Now I still have a $40,000 car with 20,000 miles and it drives like a Kia with a 120,000 miles!

Let me know if you get anyone to listen. Thanks.
  • az4lsaz4ls Member Posts: 2
    I have had the 2003 Aviator in for the rough idle 6 times in the Dealership and a Ford Service Engineer has looked at it. The call it normal. I call it bad engineering.
    I will not settle for this and plan to take this as far as I can to let Ford absorb part of the loss.
    Does the jet performance chip work on the 2003 model. :lemon:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Lincoln Aviator: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage. Thanks!

Steve, Host