Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Additionally, what is the difference between advance trac I and II?

I'm in the market for an Expedition or Explorer and I assume they have advance trac I at this point. What would version II add?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    Advance Trac II simply adds understeer protection to AT I's oversteer protection. Or so the press release says for the 2003 LS:

The software governing Lincoln’s AdvanceTrac™ traction and stability
    enhancement system now incorporates understeer control. Understeer control
    provides improved steering control and maneuverability on snow and ice and also
    in dry road emergency situations where high lateral accelerations are induced.

It's not clear whether the Explorer or Expedition will get this or just the Lincoln versions.
  • I confess my confusion about it's merits w AWD based on conflicting emails (I know zip about vehicles). I live in Boston and we do get snow and ice...thanks to Global warming it's much less than 30 years ago!

I don't care about paying extra $ but I don't enjoy waiting, my lease is up NOW on my 2000 Continental (in rugged shape) & I HATE to miss gadgets & (especially) safety extras.

Advance Trac, DVD Navigation and the tire pressure monitoring system & five spoke chrome wheel are all available "later in model year". Which means...?
  • The brochure stated dvd navigation to be available
    December 2002. Seems like the brochure was printed prior to any delays.

Also, for anyone interested
    vivid red is an offered color in the brochure with light parchment interior.
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    2nd row seats do recline

18" wheels will be available as an option

A 2003.5 model seems likely, but I don't know what changes will be in there.
    Advance Trac is a nice to have but if you don't get it you probably won't miss it. I personally wouldn't wait for it. I don't have it on my LS and haven't missed it yet.
  • "Advance Trac II simply adds understeer protection to AT I's oversteer protection. Or so the press release says for the 2003 LS:"

Except I don't see anyplace in the '03 LS documentation that specifically refers to this feature as "AdvanceTrac II"... where are you getting it from?
    Chris - I honestly don't remember, but I did see it somewhere. May have been an Aviator press release or review.
  • I think I found the difference - from the Aviator "safety" sheet:
    "The second-generation AdvanceTrac interactive vehicle dynamics system, a late-availability option, represents a significant advancement in safety technology because it now is capable of helping the driver maintain control and avoid possible rollover situations, in addition to helping correct oversteer and understeer skids."

No worries then, on something like an LS! :)
  • gunz1gunz1 Posts: 9
    I see that the premium model has heated and cooled seats. In the luxury model can this be ordered as a stand alone. Does it come with only heated seatsn as an option or standard?
    Chris - I'm reasonably sure the 2003 LS gets the second generation AT as well. The release I read said it added understeer correction which would be applicable to the LS. I think they're putting a marketing twist on the benefits relative to the Aviator by talking about rollover avoidance - I don't think it does anything specifically for SUVs. Maybe Brian can verify.

gunz1 - it's not clear at all. Lincoln's website says it's optional but it's not an option on either the luxury or premium model. I THINK it's a standard feature on all Aviators now but at one time it may have been planned as an option. You may have to check with the dealer.
  • The last product information sheet that I saw said that the heated & cooled seats are standard on the Premium model and are not available on the Luxury model, even as an option. Akirby has the best advice; check with a dealer to find out for sure, or call the Lincoln customer assistance center. Standard & optional equipment lists are usually in flux prior to introduction.
  • Greetings from Woodbridge, NJ...

My dealer told me that his first Aviator was built last week, that it is in what he called "storage hold" while quality control issues are addressed... and that he expects it on his showroom in 4 weeks...

Steve
  • Anyone have any comments on the cost value of the Aviator compared to the Acura MDX, Volvo 90 suv,
    upcoming acura gx470?
    Depends on what is important to you. I test drove the Aviator in a focus group comparison with the MDX. It's got more power and more gadgets (heated/cooled seats, adjustable pedals, etc.) plus more interior room, especially in the 3rd row. It tows more and will do better off road. I found the MDX to be very nice and very smooth on the road due to its minivan chassis but otherwise uninspiring. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the vehicles you mentioned - it really comes down to personal preference. Drive them all and decide for yourself.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The Aviator is going to start shipping to dealers the last week of October....This was told to me today from Lincoln.
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I was stopped at a traffic light in a suburb of Detroit and saw a silver one take a left turn right in front of me. WOW! Very sharp looking vehicle. Much be one of them out testing for quality gliches. They're almost here!
  • smiling here..sounds great
  • I want to see one in my garage along side my Navigator!
  • Greetings from Woodbridge, NJ,

Just read the Edmunds "Road Test" on the Aviator. You'll find it's link on the "Home" page above.

Not to be critical, but the review left a lot to be desired. (I am not saying that the Aviator left a lot to be desired.) I'm disappointed that the writer did not spend more time discussing the merits of the Aviator on the road. Guess it'll be up to members of this site to put some meat on the bones after we get into the driver's seat...as for me, I'm placing my '01 Navigator into the newspaper in 2 weeks since I have positive equity in the lease buyout...

Best regards to all,

Steve
    In other words - the same type of review they normally give. Must have been the Lincoln logo.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,272
    Check the Helpful Links on the left sidebar for the Road Test link.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• hoikhoik Posts: 1
    Hello! from Hibbing, Minnesota.

I really do enjoy the Town Hall comments. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Aviator! Lincoln Division told me it would be on the showroom floor in December, 2002. I hope there is not any delay. I have a 2000 Lincoln LS which I really enjoy. I hope I will enjoy the Aviator as much as my Lincoln LS.
  • karzzkarzz Posts: 151
    "On the SUV front, Lincoln's new Explorer-based Aviator also delivers the goods in terms of driver appeal. Just as its maker intended, the seven-seat Aviator offers the looks of its full-size Navigator, without the bulkiness. As with the LS, precise steering is the key to the Aviator's rewarding driving character. "

"More than simply a gussied up Explorer, the Aviator's structure, suspension and steering is significantly modified. The outcome is an SUV that is easier to place accurately in a corner than sloppy handling rivals such as the Mercedes-Benz M-class and the Acura MDX, both of which suffer from excessive body roll. "

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0210/16/-613990.htm

• Greetings from Woodbridge, NJ

Just found this review...best that I've seen to date.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/03aviator.htm

Steve

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    My wife is 5' 10" and found that her shins hit the bottom of the dash in the MDX no matter how she positioned the front passenger seat. Also, the MDX feels like the Odyssey it is based on. We now own a 2002 Mountaineer, and the rough ride, especially on California's neglected and grooved concrete freeways is quite annoying. The tire noise is also bad. I see that the Aviator weighs hundreds of pounds more. Does anyone know if the Aviator is quieter and smoother than the Mountaineer / Explorer?
    I test drove the Aviator back to back with the MDX and I've owned previous generation explorers. It's not as quiet and smooth as the MDX but I thought it was the quietest, smoothest and most powerful truck based SUV that I've driven and should outperform the explorer/mountaineer in those departments. Of course the only way to tell for sure is to test one but I assure you it's not just an explorer with fancy options. The engine and suspension are definitely upgraded along with the interior. I think you'll like it.
  • karzzkarzz Posts: 151
    Another article on the Aviator:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5436&sid=181&n=157

"After driving the Aviator on Virginia back roads and through a “precision steering exercise” on a wet, foggy mountaintop, we can report that Aviator’s ride quality is hard to match among passenger cars, not to mention a body-on-frame SUV."

• To what I have read from reviews, road test, and ect. the ride is pretty good. The noises are not to be to bad..
  • The site below is a Candian base road test of the Aviator.

www.candiandriver.com/articles/ly/03aviator.htm